Thursday, March 01, 2007

Duelo de Pasiones, Thursday March 1 - A scorpion, a spider, and a dirty old man

Suddenly playing the jealous husband, Emilio asked Castulo why Thelma had visited him. Castulo said she wanted his help because was afraid of Gaspar.

Ever the rocket scientist, Emilio looked at Castulo, his underwear, and his rumpled bed, and concluded that Castulo was telling the truth. No wonder Orlando hates having this guy as his boss.

Next Emilio confronted Thelma, saying, "Castulo told me everything!" Thelma said guiltily that she could explain, then looked relieved when El Clueless One merely asked why she was afraid of Gaspar.

Thelma said, "This imbecile has me confused with a little doll, a fairy. I can't stand it," that he broke into her room etc., Emilio could ask his uncle if he didn't believe her.

She finished by saying she wasn't afraid for herself but for Emilio because Gaspar might hurt him. Unimpressed, as usual, Emilio left to go interrogate Gaspar. Fuming, as usual, Thelma told her singing Aunt Rebeca she was afraid Gaspar would tell Emilio everything.

At the cave: Luba told Alina that Alvaro wanted her to live at Edelmira's house of ill repute. They agreed that Alvaro had lost his judgement (that's one way of putting it). Alina said he was sick but she would save him by confronting him and opening his eyes! Ignoring Luba's protests, she ran out of the cave.

Meanwhile, Granillo was telling Edelmira that everyone knew that Flor del Campo was pure, virginal, immaculate! Edelmira accused him of exaggerating and said they would make a lot of money from Flor.

Carmen told Rosita and her father that Maximo was Santos's father. Rosita urged Carmen to tell Santos the truth. Her father and Carmen told her that wasn't a good idea. Rosita worried that father and son would kill each other.

Elsewhere, Marianita whined once more about not having a papa. Mariana said, "You are right. It would be better if Jose never existed." (QUE??) She promised Marianita she would have a father.

Marianita asked if Mariana would marry Dr. Fonseca, aka Ricardo, aka Dr. Love. Mariana said, "First I have to be his girlfriend so we can get to know each other. After that, we'll see." Later Mariana informed Dr. Love of her decision, saying, "We will see what happens in time." Dr. Love was hopeful.

In central America: The crime gang argued over how to prevent Jose from leading the authorities to them. Jacinto said they would rescue Jose. Felicia thanked him.

Working late, Elias told a co-worker he wanted to help "someone" (ie Soledad) without hurting someone else (ie Blanca), adding, "You never forget your first love."

Blanca later worried about whether Elias was with Soledad. (As if Alvaro would let Elias within a mile of her!!!) She found a handkerchief embroidered with the letter S among Elias's possessions and said, "Elias, you still love Soledad!"

Back at the cave: Gaspar, who had been sleeping, woke up and immediately started babbling about his muñequita. Luba gave him a drink, saying it was to warm him up, but thought, "Forgive me, son. I know how much you love this woman, but I can't let them kill you for her."

Gaspar reeled around a little, then passed out. Luba told herself, "With these herbs, he'll sleep a good while."

Meanwhile Alina, hurrying through the dark countryside on her way to confront her father, was stung on the shoulder by a scorpion. (Maybe that off-the-shoulder blouse wasn't the best fashion choice for someone who lives in a cave.) She slapped it off and continued on her way.

When she reached the hacienda, Sergio and his shotgun blocked her path, but Alvaro came outside and saw them.

Already feverish from her scorpion sting, Alina gasped, "Luba told me everything you're planning," that she couldn't put up with the mistreatment anymore, "Open your eyes! You need help! Your jealousy --" Suddenly she passed out. Don Loco told Sergio he would take care of her.

He carried the unconscious Alina to a bedroom at Edelmira's establishment. Edelmira examined her and said, "This girl is bad. She has a fever," but said she would cure her.

Don Loco warned her not to let Alina escape, adding, "Remember, this girl is not for sale." Edelina assured him that Alina would be an "eye taco" to her clients but nothing more.

After Don Loco left, Edelmira saw the scorpion sting mark on Alina's shoulder and called Granillo. He gave Alina a shot and told Edelmira she would be fine. Edelmira said she wanted to put Alina to work, then left the room.

Alina woke up and Granillo told her not to be afraid, to relax and rest. But after he left, Edelmira's customer Jeremias (the dirty old man who tried to attack Coral) sneaked into Alina's room and told her gloatingly, "I am your owner now, and you are going to be mine."

They struggled, Alina yelling, "Let go of me! Help, help!" And who should burst into the room to save her but Coral, who pulled Jermias off Alina and threw him onto the bed, yelling, "Leave her in peace!" Go, Coral!

Granillo arrived and Coral told him Jeremias was "abusing the girl." Saying Alina was sick, Granillo shoved Jeremias out of the room. Alina begged Coral to help her escape. Coral said it wouldn't be easy because Edelimira watched her girls very carefully. She told Alina, "Be patient, trust me," adding that Granillo would take care of her. Yeah, he's been doing a great job so far.

Meanwhile, at Valtierra hacienda: Angel, in bed, coughed and fretted. Nurse Susi assured him that his illness didn't make him less of a man, saying he had other qualities. Out of his earshot, she gave a lovelorn sigh and said, "Angel, if you knew."

Luba showed up to visit Angel, who asked anxiously if she had bad news, adding that the only thing that mattered to him was Flor. Worried about his coughing, Luba hesitated.

Susi came into the room. Seeing Angel's distress, she ordered Luba to leave. Racked by coughs, Angel pleaded, "Wait, please, tell me," but Luba left. Angel muttered to himself, "Alina, Flor." He asked Susi to go see Alina the next day. She agreed.

Walking through the dark, muttering to herself, Luba decided to go to Elias for help instead. She went to see Blanca, who told her Elias wasn't there. Luba said, "Flor is in grave danger and he has to save her."

Blanca and Luba agreed that Alvaro was loco and couldn't be permitted to keep abusing Alina. Blanca said she would confront Alvaro.

Emilio reached the cave and found Gaspar passed out cold. Too bad -- that would have been an interesting conversation. (Why is Emilio suddenly concerning himself about Thelma's problems, anyway? Too bad he doesn't spend this much time and effort on helping Alina.)

Meanwhile, Coral climbed into bed, not knowing that nobody was allowed to sleep in this episode. She soon jumped up, screaming, "A tarantula!" Listening in the hall, Castulo (who put the spider in her bed), rubbed his beard ruefully. He's not much of an assassin, is he.

Orlando ran in, picked up the spider with his bare hands, put it in a bowl, and carried it out. Very heroic, I must say. Poor Coral checked under the bed for more spiders. Orlando observed that it was strange that the spider got into the house.

After Emilio returned home and brushed Thelma off once again, she hissed to Singing Aunt Rebeca that Gaspar had to die.

Elias also went home and found Blanca waiting for him. No sign of Luba. Blanca told herself that Elias was too busy to leave work right now, so "I have to save Alina."

The next day: Don Loco whipped his men up against the road construction project while Elias listened and glared. Elias spoke up, saying, "I know why you're doing this! You want to isolate Soledad and continue torturing her without anyone finding out!" He added that Soledad was beautiful and Alvaro would lose her.

Alvaro said, "Soledad is beautiful, but she is mine. Don't say anything else about her," then went back to inciting his men.

Emilio visited Maximo, who guffawed that Gaspar believed Thelma was a fairy. Emilio remembered his conversation with Gaspar about his "little doll," but all he said to Maximo was, "Thelma, a fairy? This guy is crazy!"

After Emilio left, Maximo twirled his mustache and chuckled, "Ay, a fairy! This woman is bad, bad as the devil!"

Rosita talked to Santos, who was remarkably recovered from his accident the previous day. But I suppose that should be no surprise since Alina, Emilio, and Gaspar have all made miraculous recoveries from gunshot wounds. There must be something in the water in Sierra Escondida.

Coral told Orlando about Alina's latest plight. He replied, "I can save Flor." Coral said, "Tu???" which was rather insulting to Orlando, I thought.

Orlando pulled a petal from a flower arrangement in her room and sniffed it dramatically, then said, "Si, Coral. I love her and I am going to save her." Then he ate the petal! I guess he heard about Maximo's flower-kissing and wanted to out-villain him.

Rosita's father visited Maximo's office and said, "My daughter doesn't love you. She loves Santos." Too bad he didn't tell Maximo that long ago.

Maximo made his usual complaints about that starving Santos. Rosita's father replied that Maximo might be the boss, "but you can't be in charge of things in my daughter's heart." Maximo angrily ordered him out.

Blanca arrived at Edelmira's club and found the miraculously cured Alina cleaning tables.

Emilio returned to the cave. This time he found Gaspar awake. He asked Gaspar about Thelma, and Gaspar predictably said, "She is my little doll, the fairy I knew in the Devil's Cave."

But will Emilio the dimwit finally figure things out? Tune in tomorrow...

words/phrases from this episode:
lana = wool (slang for money)
juicio = judgement
a la venta = on sale
mandar = command, be in charge of

Labels:


Comments:
>>>>Rosita's father visited Maximo's office and said, "My daughter doesn't love you. She loves Maximo." Too bad he didn't tell Maximo that long ago.

I haven't watched this novela enough and only know what's going on by the recaps, but I don't think that's what Rosita's father said. Cuz if it was, I think that would make Don Max's day.
 

P.S. Unless of course the writers wanted to try something intresting with the plot.
:-)
 

Wow, what a fast post! Duelo isn't even over yet here in California.

Leave it to eagle-eye Marycelis to catch the wrong name. I remember when I first started recapping Heridas de Amor, I kept getting Alejandro and Alfredo Luque's names mixed up. I had everybody, including myself, completely confused!

Carmel, what a funny recap. El Clueless One, I love it! Now that I can Tivo through the commercials I'm going to go watch the episode....
 

eagle eye? :-), cute. Hey you never know, maybe Rosita's father did say that

If Emiliooo's as dense as he was about Castulo and Thelma then forget about him figuring out who Gaspar's "fairiy" is. Emiliooo is dumb enough to think it's Alina.
 

No, Emilio was impactado at the end by Thelma being at the Cueva del Diablo. Remember, she wasn't supposed to have been there at all. It's going to require several different people to tell all to put all this together. Coral, for one knows she has been there at least once. Vera has the dress she was wearing or is it Nora? and Orlando actually saw here there and knows the whole story. This will unravel eventually, the only question is how long will they torture us?
 

Oh yes, the red dress. Vera pulled it out of the trash, but if she were to somehow give it to Nora, and Gaspar saw Nora in the dress, maybe he would start to forget about Thelma. I really wish that would happen. Our boy Gaspar deserves better than the drunken slut Thelma!

And hey, what about Nurse Susi getting the hots for Angel. I know it was inevitable but it was taking so long that I forgot all about her. Go Nurse Susi!

I'd love to hear what the recappers of Acorralada would have to say about Dr. Love's ridiculous bow-tie. Those girls (Acorralada recappers) are total fashion police and the bow-tie is a fashion "don't."
 

Haha yes, sorry! Rosita's father said she loved Santos. I'll fix it.
 

Great recap Carmel. Thank you. Emilio is as dense as wood, that Clueless One (great name). Wish he'd get back in his sick bed and stop pretending to be alive.

Jeremias really grosses me out. I cant imagine the fear someone would have being cornered, or touched by him. Im glad Coral is such a toughie that she was able to save Flor. She is a funny character and I wish we could see her dance.
 

You have got to watch Coral [Lis Vega] dance on ''Bailando!'' She is great, and I was so glad when she defended Florina and chased off that dirty old man. GIRL POWER. I am woman hear me roar...see my dance. I had to turn the channel when Coral got into bed with the big, hairy spider. I think that it would be perfecto if Vera gave Nora the RED DRESS, and Gaspar saw her in it and transferred his obsession to her. ~~~Susanlynn
 

For whatever reason my dvr didn't record the whole episode so I was only able to watch the first 20 minutes of it...

But what struck me in this episode was that, maybe halfway through my recording, Flor's hair color and length changed for a scene or two then went back to how it was before, lighter and a bit shorter in the front.

The same thing happened with the lead character in Contra Viento and Marea (played by Sebastian Rullí, the same guy that plays JC in Mundo de Fieras) but the switching back and forth of color and length happened repeatedly over several episodes...
 

There must have been some reshoots or something, or some filming out of order. I believe (from watching them) that these shows have very low budgets, so I think the position of "continuity checker" doesn't exist. Great recap. When I read that Alina was bitten by a scorpion, I thought for sure we were in for a week of her unconscious in bed, like Emiliooooo after getting shot. But like you said, a miracle! Maybe Granillo injected her with Essence of Fabulous and she was all cured.
 

Indeed, there are some blatant continuity issues here, especially with Floralina's hair. When she was drenched her hair was long and dark. After she miraculously dried out her hair was blond and curly. OK, the curly I could buy, hair getting nappy from the wet weather and all that, but blonder? No.

Also, when I was a kid my cousin got stung by a scorpion and yelled bloody murder because of the pain. The stings are supposedly quite painful yet Floralina hardly noticed. And like Ferro says, Voila! she was immediately cured by Granillo's magic injection. Oh wait, aren't I the one who keeps saying not to take this stuff too seriously? Sorry.
 

I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that the writers of this show know very well that it's funny. The Singing Aunt and Granillo are comic characters. Maximo is very funny with his mustache-twirling. And the idea of Thelma as a "little doll" or fairy really is hilarious. And now Orlando with his flower-eating! Surely the people who made this show are laughing at it, too.
 

Carmel, you're probably right. I like to think you're right. A tongue-in-cheek approach to these shows is the best way. The fact that the guy who everybody calls "idiot" and "imbecile" is leagues smarter than anyone else was our first tip-off. And let's not forgot Granillo beat up Jeremias when he was dressed as "Grani" the woman, then went to La Rinconada for a slumber party with Coral! That's probably why, God help me, I'm enjoying this show.
 

You're right, Gaspar gets smarter all the time!

I'm enjoying the show more than I did "Heridas de Amor." It's wacky but that's fun.
 

Sylvia---Yes, I thought Hip made that comment about being ''the whore of only one man'' when she had amnesia and her maid finally admitted to her that she had slept with the lovely Luis. I feel I have become a bit of an Alborada scholar. If I ever decide to finally get my doctorate, I think I will write my dissertation on it. So, how far have you and sister gotten in ''Alborada?'' I can't wait until you watch the bloopers. I want to hear your impressions. ~~~Susanlynn, currently rewatching ''Amor Real'' and still struggling to understand exactly what is being said
 

Susanlynn, I should have known NEVER to have doubted you when it comes to Alborada!! So far we are about 1/4 of the way through disc 3. Hipolita has amnesia and is about to become her own son Rafael's nanny. We had to take a couple of weeks off but now we are back on track. We usually watch an hour or two per week. I'm really looking forward to the bloopers, maybe we'll cheat and watch some of them next week. I had forgotten how exquisitely beautiful Lucero is. I don't know how historically correct her clothing was, but it sure was flattering on her.
 

Sylvia~~Did you watch ''Amor Real'' when it was running? Did you see the whole novela or just the shortened version? Which do you prefer ''Amor'' or ''Alborada?'' I am currently rewatching ''Amor''. Wonder what Carla Estrada is up to. Do you think she's started on the pirate thing? I wonder if she was able to convince Fernando to do it. I may have to fall back on my old Highlander videos if Fernando doesn't get back to work soon.~~~~~~Susanlynn, still monolingual
 

>>>Wonder what Carla Estrada is up to. Do you think she's started on the pirate thing?

From what I read, it's in the casting stage. Various people went, Sebastian Rulli (JC from Mundo) even Nuirka's ex(PM from la Fea) Bobby something auditioned.

Susanlynn, you ever saw Corazón Salvaje w/ Edith Gonzalez (Joselyn from Mundo). Its about pirates. I never saw it but I remember when it was on TV.
 

marycelis~~No, I have never seen that pirate telenovela. I only discovered the world of telenovelas this summer when I was channel surfing and saw Fernando Colunga as Luis in Alborada . He caught my attention, but I did not understand more than 10 words in Spanish and the novela was about 3/4 over. . However, I found Melinama's translations , and , well, I'm still here. ~~~Susanlynn, who now knows more than 10 Spanish words
 

Susanlynn, no I didn't see Amor Real when it ran. Alborada was my first telenovela. When I bought the Alborada DVD I also purchased Amor Real upon your recommendation. Amor was fun to watch, especially seeing Fernando in a different, darker role, but the editing was kind of a hack job. I forgave that because of all the bathtub scenes! The editing on Alborada is much better, maybe because there are more hours of the show than on Amor Real.

I think I noticed Corazon Salvaje at our local Blockbuster; they have a good telenovela DVD section. If it's about pirates I will definitely have to pick it up. I love pirate themes.
 

Too funny! Maybe Orlando's new role model is Máximo. He just needs to start wearing layers of clothes, a black cape, and maybe he can put his feet up on the desk when he has visitors. It would actually be kind of funny if Santos started showing some subtle similarities to his dad, stuff that would make Max wonder if he really was his son. They're both crazy about Rosita, for starters... Why not take it to a new level? Maybe Santos can start eating roses, too.

Can Emilio get any dumber, and Alvaro any crazier?
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder