Saturday, March 03, 2007

Duelo (mostly) Vocabulary Words

Hi everyone! Some of the Duelo de Pasiones recappers have been adding interesting/new vocabulary words to their recaps. I have been keeping a list of all these words, plus a few additions from some of the other recaps, and I thought I would share what we have so far. Thanks goes to Carmel for starting this educational and fun trend. If I have forgotten any choice phrases or words let me know and I'll add them to the list. Also, if I have misspelled anything please let me know and I will correct it.

ablandar = to soften
acomodo = job, arrangement
a la venta = on sale
andrajosa = in rags
amargado/a = bitter, also a noun meaning bitter person
a pesar de = in spite of
apestoso/a = stinky, foul
arrabatar = to snatch
atolondrar = to confuse
aventura = an affair, adventure
averiguar = find out
bocadillos = sandwiches, also a term for speech/thought bubbles
cachas = beefcake, hunk
canalla = scoundrel, cad, swine
canallada = rotten or mean thing to do
canijo = jerk
castrado = castrated
chamaca = slang for girl
conquistar = to win over (a person), and to conquer (for land acquisition)
consejo = advice
coraje = anger or courage
cortina = curtain
creída = conceited
cualquiera = floozy, nobody
cuernos = horns
(poner [los] cuernos a alguien = to cuckold somebody)
cuna = cradle
delito = crime, offense
desairar = to slight, snub, offend
desconocer = to not know
doblegar = to bend
embustero/a = lying or liar
empapado/a = sodden, soaked
energúmeno/a = lunatic
(se puso hecho un energúmeno = he went ape-shit)
enojón = irritable
entrenado = trained
escarmentar = to learn a lesson
esclava = a type of bracelet
esquivo/a = cold, aloof
estirado = snooty
extranjero = foreigner
fallecer = to pass away
farsa = farce
fingido/a = feigned, false, pretend
espantoso/a = terrible, horrific
fuetazo = lash
fuete = whip
galán = handsome young man
gallito = braggart, cocky (gallo = rooster/cock)
gaznápiro/a = simple-minded, dull-witted
gentuza = riffraff, rabble
Go Bears = Go Bears
grave = seriously ill
guera = blonde girl (careful, this is offensive in some countries!)
hada = fairy
hacendosa = hard-working
inmiscuirse = to interfere, meddle
juicio = judgement
lana = wool, slang for money/dough
lascivo/a = lascivious
limosnera = beggar
locura = madness
maldita sea! = damn it!
maldición! = damn!
mandar = command, be in charge of
menos mal = just as well, thank God
Mira el burro hablando de orejas! = Look at the donkey talking about ears!/That’s the pot calling the kettle black!
molestar = to distrub, to bother
nomina (de pago) = payroll
pachanga = party and /or partying
patadas= kicks
pantano = marsh, bogplomazo = bullet hole
polvos = powders
pordiosera/pordiosero = beggar
porfis = slang for por favor
por supuesto! = of course!
prometido = promised, engaged, fiancé
puñal = dagger
rabieta = tantrum
raices = roots
resbaladizo = slippery (surface)
señito = shortened version of señorita/señora
soborno = bribe
someter - subdue, to put down
sueldo = salary
tarado = idiot, defect
teniente = lieutenant
terco = obstinate, stubborn
tierno = affectionate
velorio = wake, part of funeral before the burial
vientre = belly, abdomen
zafado = nut case
zopenco = dummy

Labels: ,


Comments:
Thanks so much Sylvia for writing all of these down. I had intended to go back and get them but you've done it for me.

Muchas gracias,
Karen
 

aventura = also can mean adventure
 

Wow, Sylvia, thank you so much! I have been putting them into a Word file and this makes it so much easier!

Jeanne
 

Thank you , Sylvia, for the list of vocab words. Now, if I could just remember them. I tell my students to use index cards for new words putting the word on one side of the card and the definition on the other. Maybe I'd better start doing that myself. I have lists of words on pieces of paper here in the office , in the livingroom, and in the family room. Sometimes, I make notes on slips of paper to make comments on the recaps. . The other day after reading one of your comments, , my note read ''sex in the river, naked Indian, and the nun and her brother.'' One of these days, one of these notes will get me in trouble. I do notice that every time I rewatch ''Amor'' or ''Alborada'', I recognize a few more words. At least I know many more words than I did when I first fell into the world of telenovelas 10 months ago!! Thanks for the helpful list. I've been meaning to jot the words down but kept procrastinating. ~~~Susanlynn, taking a break from watching Manuel trying to woo Matilde while resisting Antonia [that shameless HUSSY]
 

Muchas Gracias Sylvia! I love the new words -- gallito is my new favorite. :)

Another one for the list is guera - which is Mexican slang for blonde girl. Be careful, though... apparently the word is of Indian origin and is offensive in some countries. (I learned that from a Cuban teacher who wanted to know who had called me guera).

Amy
 

Great idea to put them all together like this! I have to admit I usually don't remember most new words till I've heard them a million times. But it helps to write them down.
 

Thank you, Sylvia, for the very useful words and their meanings! It saves me the trouble of putting on the close-captions to find the words I don't know, then getting the Spanish/English dictionary out to try and find the meanings!!I especially liked the "Go Bears", and enojon(a)? which somehow reminds me of my teenage daughter!!!!Becky T.
 

Excellent list Sylvia, thank you! I am going to copy it to my vocabulary list for practice. But, shouldn't the phrase:

Mira el burro ablando de orejas! = Look at the donkey talking about ears!

be el burro hablando de orejas? hablando meaning "speaking" And I think Gallito also means little rooster, which makes sense.

PS. Thanks Amy. I didn't realize that Guera/Guero was not OK in some Spanish speaking countries.

KatePerez
 

This is great--thanks for taking the time to put the list together.
Lisa
 

Thanks for the input everybody! I made the correction (thanks Kate!) and the addition (thanks guera/Amy!).
 

Sylvia...bless you for that list. It is wonderful. I too use "anonymous" and then sign my name because I got confused by the steps necessary for getting a blogger account...just seemed easier to do it this way. Judy
 

Hey Sylvia. Thanks for mentioning this in the Duelo chat area. I didnt see it earlier. Its great! Arent you a good little student! :)

I would like to add my 2cents on gallito. I think it also means Cocky. Rooster - Cocky get it?
 

I have been reading this site for a while now without making a comment. I would like to say that the recaps are as entertaining as the show! I've been watching this show for a few months, and I love it! I don't really speak Spanish... had 3 years in high school, but that was a LONG time ago, and I don't have anyone to practice with. I'm learning, though.
You all probably know this, but it's driving me crazy. What does "por su puesto" mean? They say it all the time and I can't find it in my dictionary.
Thanks for the site!!!
Ruth
 

Hi Ruth. Its Por Supuesto. A derivative of suponer meaning OF Course! By golly I got it!

Ok it's just "of course". Since most of the characters in telenovelas are slow to learn facts its no wonder they say that ALL the time.
 

Yes Lynn, I am the typical overachiever for better or for worse!

I'm glad you folks who don't typically comment felt comfortable about checking in with comments and questions. Please feel free to do that anytime because YOU are why we do this. This is your blog too.
 

I just discovered your blog, and I love it. I watch "Duelo de Pasiones" with my husband (he's from Mexico) every day, and your summary cracked me up! You took the words right out of my head. The characters on this particular novela drive me crazy.
I'm also looking forward to seeing "Destilando Amor", starting tonight. Muchas, pero muchas gracias. Robbie
 

vientre could be womb right?
 

Anonymous,
vientre could be womb, but only when referring to a pregnant woman. The other words sound too technical (matriz, utero) so people tend to use vientre when speaking of pregnancies in the vernacular. Otherwise, it's belly, abdomen, stomach, etc. as listed in the vocab list. Good question =) M
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder