Saturday, April 14, 2007

Duelo (mostly) Vocabulary Words Part 2

Here is the second installment of the vocabulary words and phrases that the Duelo recappers have been writing down. The list also includes a few words and phrases from other telenovela recaps. If I have forgotten any choice phrases or words from any of the telenovelas let me know and I'll add them to the list. Also, if I have misspelled anything please let me know and I will correct it. I hope you find this helpful or at least interesting. There are some real doozies this time around.

The first list can be found here or in the sidebar under the "Vocabulary" heading.


aguja en un pajar = needle in a haystack
alambrada - (barbed) wire fence
alcahueta = snitch, gossip-monger
amante = lover arisco/a = surly, wild
arrepentido = remorseful, repentant
asesino/a = murderer
asqueroso/o = sickening, disgusting
babearse = dribble, drool, slobber on oneself
bizca = cross-eyed
calidad = quality
caporal = crew chief (foreman)
cascas ligeras = woman who goes with a lot of guys, hooker (Literal – pony that tiptoes around.)
cazador – hunter
Celotipia = pathological jealousy
chinita = kinky hair
(Se me ponga la piel chinita de susto = She’s scaring me and making my hair go all kinky/stand on end.)
cobija = blanket
cofre = chest, coffer
concubina del infierno = concubine from hell
condenar = to condemn
correr = kick out, to run
criatura - creature, child
cualquiera - any, or whatever/floozy
damnificados = victims
de fiar = trustworthy
deprimido = depressed
enclenque = weakling
estafar = swindle
estorbo = nuisance
farsante = fake, imposter, fraud
fogata - fire, bonfire
gritos desgarradores = gut wrenching screams
grosero = rude, foul-mouthed, a rude person
guarapo = juice made from sugar canes
hacer cosquillas = to tickle
Hay gato encerrado. = Something's fishy. (Literal - There is a locked up cat.)
huéspedes = guests
hocico = snout
(abrir el hocico = to open one's big fat mouth)
ingenio = wit, talent, inventiveness
jornalera = common worker/laborer
jugar chueco = to play crooked, dishonest
Le caló? = Did it hit a raw nerve?--Did it bother you?
lengua = tongue
malagradecido = ungrateful, unappreciative
Me caes como higado encebollado = You make me want to puke. (literal - you're doing that liver and onions thing to me.)
Me das asco. = You disgust me.
Me hizo suyo - He made me his, which in novela speak means sex and more sex.
mendigo/a = pauper
mosquita muerta = little dead fly
muerto de hambre – starving
Otra vez, la burra al trigo = Same old s**t (literal - once again the donkey goes to the wheat)
paliacate = big old checkered scarf or wrap
parque = munitions
pelarse = to split, literally to "peel oneself"
Perro que ladra no muerde = The dog that growls doesn't bit.
Que mala pata. = What bad luck.
rastro - trail, trace
recadito = little message
rechazar = to reject
rostro = face
rejego/a = pigheaded
santo y seña = all the details, the whole enchilada, chapter and verse
SESID = Sierra Escondida Stupid Idiot Disease
sobar = handle, suck up to
supuesto = supposed
terco = stubborn, obstinate
seguramente = surely, without a doubt
tinieblas = darkness
todidita = completely
trago = a drink, shot, or swig
tranquilo = calm
usada = used
Venganza es un plato que se sirve frio. = Revenge is a dish best served cold.
vulgar = common

Just for Gaspar:
cuerpazo = studly man
Me gustaría un tequila antes que yo vaya ver la hada. = I would like a tequila before I go to see the fairy.
Te gustaría ver mi hada? - Would you like to see my fairy?
Vino a hablar con la hada de la Cueva del Diablo. = I’ve come to talk to the fairy of the Devil’s Cave.

Just for Thelma:
caperucita negra = little black riding hood
hiena = hyena
loba = she-wolf
rabiosa/o = rabid
víbora = viper
La vieja me condenará. = the bitch will blame me.
Maldita faja! = Damn girdle!

Labels: ,


Comments:
You are very kind and thoughtful. I'll bet that Eduardoand Fernando appreciate these qualities in mujeres. If I never learn to speakSpanish, it is certainly through no fault of yours...es mi culpa. ~~~Susanlynn, saying good morning, amiga
 

Dear Sylvia...you're so wonderful with these vocabulary lists...and truly this is the most fun way to learn Spanish...telenovelas and a wonderful community of literate, funny women (and a man or two!) ready to recap and help us through the maze of a new language. Many thanks...Judy B.
 

Oh Sylvia, bravo! You will see I've added two of these timeless quotes to the sidebar...
 

Wow, THANKS! This is fabulous!

Jeanne
 

lengua = tongue, one of the first words, I learned, ummmmmmm boiled tongue tacos, the first time I went to husband's he fixed lengua tacos...yeh he was quite the charmer, you chew and chew and chew..first time last time,

but my favorite:
Te gustaría ver mi hada? - Would you like to see my fairy?

OMG, this could be so useful in so many situtations.
 

Dear Sylvia,
One of my favorite Spanish sayings is:
Revenge, like dessert is best served cold.
Could you please translate it for me?
Thanks a million.
 

you can't forget little dead fly=mosquita muerta. Usually reserved for the naive, virgin, etc. type character and used by the slutty villan type ex. Roughly translates as feigning innocence.

Probably refers to when you swat a fly and when you are about to get rid of it, it wizzes by you like nothing it only pretended to be dead, insignificant.
 

not feigning, means insignificant. The way its used probably translates as don't feign innocence.
 

Many thx Sylvia! I try to keep a vocabulary list going during the show, but always miss a few. I just started watching the telenovelas and can feel my spanish improving with every recap. I get a wonderful sense of friendship with everyone wanting to learn and have fun.
jb
 

Dear Alice that would be "Venganza es un plato que se sirve frio" this is not a litteral translation, is the actual saying

Maricruz
 

What about "perro que ladra no muerde" Granillo used when he was talking about Edelmira in Duelo, It means dog that growls doesn't bite.

Maricruz
 

I found this site from the Academia Mexicana de la Lengua. It has "mexicanismos" words or phrases in Spanish that are only used in Mexico I thought it would be helpful for the recapers.
http://www.academia.org.mx/dicmex.php
Maricruz
 

Dear Maricruz, Can you also say "Venganza es un plate que se come frio"? I just wondered because that's how the French say it.
You've been a great resource on language questions...Judy B.
 

So higado encebollado (liver and onions) is universally hated? I must be the only person in the world who actually likes it.
 

Great vocabulary list! There are so many good ones and the phrases are great! My favorite is "me das asco" and SESID

Beckster, how romantic...tongue tacos!!!! At least your husband can cook, not like my husband, who can't boil water! Becky T
 

Margaret~~~It was a tradition in our home that my mother always made the birthday person's favorite meal ,and my sister and her hub shared a birthday and ALWAYS asked for liver, onions, and bacon. [Their dessert choice was my mother's superb lemon meringue pie. I usually ate everything at that meal EXCEPT the liver .
 

Becky...yeah my husband learned to cook cause he did not want to be dependent on anyone..all his friends and family used to say "one spoon, one fork, one knife, one cup and one plate" is all I need to live my life (making fun of him)..yeh he was quite the charmer...People said it would never work...but ha twenty years later...and he still cooks!
 

I'm so glad that everybody enjoys the vocab lists. I think they're a scream. All I can say is that I'm a word nerd and am endlessly fascinated by the words and especially the dichos and goofy quotes. So far "Would you like to see my fairy?" is, in my opinion, the number one quote to come out of Duelo.

Melinama, I LOVE the addition of the quotes to the sidebar and header. Thank you for doing that. It really adds!

I updated the list with y'alls suggestions and I'll add any more that come in.
 

I was talking to my husband tonight about this site and how much I enjoy reading the recaps and the comments from everybody.

It would be so neat if one day we could all meet in a designated place and discuss the novelas over coffee!! Becky T...over here in Texas...knowing this is wishful thinking....

Anyway, can't wait for the new novela with Fernando!!!!!!!!
 

Excellent List Sylvia - muchas gracias! I agree with Judy B. This is a much more amusing way to learn Spanish than any other that I have encountered. One of my absolute favorite expressions of all time (even though it is not from Duelo) was when Miranda said to Bertha "Two things you'll never see, that and God's face! Ouch! Wish I knew exactly how to translate that back into Spanish.

Kate - also a word nerd and, if Jose Gomez offered to show me his fairy, I would have to say yes.
 

Sylvia, fantastic, and I'm glad you included all those accurate ways to describe Thelma!
 

Becky, it would be great to have a telenovela "conference" to laugh and learn. Anything is possible, Atlanta isn't far from Texas.
jb
 

can't forget juanete = bunion.
 

I also think it would be great if we were one day able to have a "conference" somewhere and meet. Who knows, maybe it will happen somewhere down the line.

Marycelis, I've already got a new list started and juanete is on it.
 

The equivalent expression for "mosquita muerta" in English would be "and it looked like butter wouldn't melt in her mouth." Not as fun as in Spanish.

The equivalent expression in English for "perro que ladra no muerde" would be: "His/her bark is worse than his bite."

We all seem to be all over the U.S. It would be great to someday meet and have fun dissecting one of these novelas. My husband and kids have no interest in them at all.

G. from Denver, CO
 

Margaret,

I LOVE liver and onions too but nobody at home will eat it.

G.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder