Friday, September 07, 2007

Juan - Thursday 9/6/07 - In which Monica's taste in girlfriends is as bad as her taste in husbands

Marely and Paula are impactadas at Monica's announcement that Paula will get her outrageously exaggerated raise. Monica is ignorantly excited and thrilled at her good news and insists that she and Paula go out to celebrate. She says she'll be back at lunchtime and she bounces out of the office. "No puede ser!" Paula exclaims to a twitchy Marely whose eyes are as wide as saucers.

Cesar Luis asks Pastor can he believe it? Monica retained Paula! He had everything under control and now this. He mocks Pastor and says this debacle is all his fault, then he rudely pushes Pastor out of the office. Pastor reminded me of one of those pear-shaped inflatable clowns with sand in their bottoms. Remember those? You'd bop them and they would pop right back up again? But I digress...

Pastor stumbles past Yvonne who leaps up and demands to know what happened. "No pasa nada, no pasa nada," he rat-a-tat-tats like a machine gun to anyone who will listen, and believe me they are ALL listening. Yvonne says all morning people have been going in and out of CL's office. Pastor says the bomb hasn't exploded yet but just wait.

Yvonne also pushes Pastor the Bop Clown. He holds his sore arm and yells "Nothing happened!" to the eavesdroppers. He tells Yvonne that one day he will give CL a soup out of his own chocolate, i.e. give him a taste of his own medicine.

Over at Casa Chacón Nidia scolds Alirio for almost seeing her in her wedding dress. Does he think she needs any more bad luck? He accuses her of being prosaic and anachronistic. She dramatically continues scolding him. He compliments her profusely then proceeds to hit her up for some money so he can buy booze...for their reception.

He assures her he still has the money he embezzled from Samuel's inheritance, it's in a safe place for her. They go round and round in their usual argument before he finally surprises her with a request. He shocks his cuchi cuchi reina by asking her to open a small account in his name. The nerve!!

In the Farell garage Paula taps on Juan's car window. She apologizes for interrupting his dreams of love. "If she only knew," he thought bubbles. She tells him she has decided to remain at Farell Industries. To say he is delighted would be an understatement.


Nidia explodes and Alirio begs her not to "sulpherate". He swears he only wants a little money to jump-start his business. Surprisingly, Nidia tells him to face the wall. She removes a little key from her ample bosom, unlocks the desk and removes...a COFRE! Luckily we get to see what's in this cofre, it's a couple of gold watches and a wad of bills. She peels off a few and hands them to Alirio. He's disappointed, he wanted a bank account, but he decides not to push his luck and he beats feet, the bills clutched in his greedy paw. Nidia fumes.

Boring Paula tells a happy sappy Juan why she decided to stay...it was for her, not for Cesar Luis. (Yeah right!) But also, in grand measure, her staying had to do with Juan. Huy!! He thought bubbles that she has driven him to the clouds. He blathers on about his diosita and does a celebratory bumb and grind.

Alirio runs into a very cranky Yadira on his way out of Casa Chacón. She loathes him and she lets him know it. She says they all know why he's marrying Nidia and it's not for love. He'd better watch himself because even Mama has her limits. She pushes him out the door.

Boring Paula calls more boring Ana to tell her about Monica giving her the raise. Ana recommends that Paula separate her emotions from her work because she is, before all else, a professional. She shouldn't jeopardize her career because of problems with That Man. Paula admits she feels bad about Monica who has been nothing but nice to her.

CL storms into Paula's office. They glare at each other. Yawn.

Juan, whose hideous tie appears to shrink with every scene, happily shines his limo while making contented squeaky sounds. Fernando comments on Juan's sudden mood change. He teases that it happened right after the Licenciada's visit. They trade verbal jabs and Juan smugly tells Fern that he (Fern), Kike and Marely will one day eat their words. He, Juan Dominguez, will have the last laugh, then he starts singing the wedding march. Fern turns his empty pockets inside-out and and tells Juan to dream on. Juan ignores Fern, shakes his bootie and grins at his own fantasy.

Paula and CL have their boring argument about why she decide to stay. In summary: She="It was for the money." He="Are you sure that's all?" They are interrupted by clueless Monica and CL is dismayed to hear they have lunch plans. Monica actually invites him to join them! CL declines and Moni shrugs and gives him a wink. (Que the hell?)

Monica and Paula walk to the elevator seeming to be best buds to the delight of a snickering Yvonne. She rubs this in to CL. He insults her and she threatens that she'll win in the end, this friendship between his wife and ex-lover will cost him dearly. (I loathe CL but honestly, if that snotty beeatch was my secretary she would be so F-I-R-E-D!)

CL frets in his office and pours himself a drink. Yvonne saunters in; he says he's not in the mood for another round. She has something else in mind, "Cesar Luis, I want to move up in the business, I want to stop being a secretary." (Hmmm...I'm thinking that immediately after threatening one's boss is not the best time to ask for a promotion.)

CL sarcastically asks Yvonne if she wants to be Vice President. Does she have other skills to offer besides answering the phone and typing memos? Yvonne says she could learn. CL asks her why he should trade in a good secretary for a mediocre executive. Yvonne gets weepy and he tells her that she has become very inconvenient for him. If she wants to move up she can go to another company because she'll go nowhere in this one.

Yvone cries at her desk while the rest of the office gawks. She runs off to Pastor's office.

Monica and Paula are at the restaurant. Monica excuses herself to the ladies room. Juan runs in to say there is nowhere to park and Paula is about to excuse him for a couple of hours when Monica returns looking worried. They have to leave right away, she's bleeding.

Yvonne complains to Pastor about the unfairness of it all...CL can't even do her one little favor. She tells Pastor that she can't leave Farell Industries for two reasons, 1) she's too poor and 2) she doesn't want to miss CL's inevitable demolition. Pastor tells her he knows, in spite of everything, that she still loves CL.

As Juan rushes Monica to the hospital he thought bubbles that they are an odd trio...he, the woman he loves, and the wife of the man she loves, all in this complicated situation.

Nidia is writing the wedding invitations when Kike enters the study. She gives him one for Fernando, one for Pastor, and a third for himself. She asks will he be bringing his new girlfriend? "Shucks," he says, "she's only a friend." Nidia warns him to be sure to hang with a decent girl and not some floozy.

Speaking of the queen of Rome, we cut to a camera pan up some long legs and a super-short skirt attached to Yadira's hips. She's laying in wait for Kike. He tells her he has to rush off. She calls him back and asks him doesn't he want to accompany her to the wedding? He runs away and she shrieks his name three times. Nidia tells Yadi she told her so, she treated Kike like dirt and now she's paying the consequences. Yadi does a queen-sized pout.

Santa Rita Hospital - Juan and Paula wait for word on Monica's condition. Juan chatters nervously and brings a cup of coffee to Paula. He says they should call CL. She says she should forget That Man forever. A Nurse asks for Paula to come to Monica's room. Juan goofily smooches her coffee cup then glances around to see if anyone saw him.

Paula sees Monica crying in her room. Things are bad, very bad. Monica tells Paula that they are going to give her a curettage (aka D&C, probably in Monica's case to remove retained tissue due to an incomplete miscarriage). "My God," gasps Paula.

CL insults Yvonne in particular and women in general, they are nothing but trouble and are capable of anything, but he supposes Pastor would know nothing about women. Pastor is offended. CL orders Pastor to dismiss Yvonne. Pastor is impactado.

Monica cries that she doesn't have the strength to call CL and tell him they are going to lose their child. Will Paula call him for her? Monica thanks Paula for being there and she weeps on her pillow.

Paula tells Juan the bad news. Then she calls CL's office and gets nasty Yvonne. Yvonne snaps that CL is busy but Paula insists it's an emergency. When Yvonne tells CL that Licenciada Paula is on the phone he sighs to Pastor, "what did I say about women?"

Paula tells CL that there are bad problems with Monica. They are in the hospital and Monica is scheduled for a curettage. CL finally shows some emotion and tells Paula he'll be there right away. Paula wants to leave the hospital but Juan insists they stay with Monica until CL arrives.

CL runs out leaving Pastor to wonder what happened. Pastor and Yvonne assume his emergency has something to do with Paula and Monica and Yvonne is happy to think his world is collapsing. Pastor says they had better get ready because he's sure the office will be torture for the next few days. "The sooner the better," Yvonne hisses. Pastor tells her to get ready for the holocaust.

Fern is flabbergasted and not happy to get Nidia's invitation. "I hardly know her," he explains to a suspicious Kike. When Kike doesn't buy that story Fern adds that he doesn't want to see Yadira. Fern is saved by CL who rushes in and demands to be driven to the hospital. Fern throws the invitation on the ground. Kike obviously does not believe either of Fernando's lies.

Pastor theorizes that CL is like a dog having to choose between two cakes (or two sandwiches if you live in my neck of the woods). He tells Yvonne this should make her happy because when both Monica and Paula dump CL he will go looking for consolation.

Paula calls Marely to tell her she will be late and to cancel her appointment with Señor Sarmiento who will no doubt be steamed. This conversation was absolutely pointless unless Señor Sarmiento turns out to be somebody important which is the only reason I included the mention here.

Kike goes to the upstairs office and the cute receptionist waves at him. (I can't remember her name but I like her.) He chats with Marely and eyes the receptionist. He finally heads off to Pastor's office to deliver the invitation and proudly sticks out his gut and smiles at the waving receptionist.

Monica's doctor asks Paula where is Monica's husband? Monica shouldn't be alone. She is lucky to have a good amiga like Paula by her side.

Paula looks guilty as hell...and any similarity to reality is purely coincidental.


Mañana - CL comforts Monica and tells her he won't leave her. Marely and Juan are about to say something important to each other but my Tivo stopped.


dar alguien una sopa de su propio chocolate = give someone a taste of their own medicine
derrumbe = collapse, fall, demolition
No te sulfures = Don't get mad!
torta = little cake, sandwich


Hey, check it out, I found a picture of Pastor the Bop Clown (without his toupee)...


Labels:


Comments:
>
>
>
>
>
>
Thanks Sylvia...it's so good to have you back. I didn't know the word for D & C but it was obvious from context this time.
Having had a miscarriage and knowing the emotional pain of that experience, I kept wanting Paula not to stand far away from the bed but to move in close, touch her shoulder, hold her hand....anything!....anything but stand so far away. Oh well, these telenovelas do seem to touch "squishy spots" (old wounds) once in a while.
A lot of the Mexican slang I can't find, but I did like it when Enrique brushed off Yadhira comments with "Chido" which is like saying "fantastic" according to my dictionary. That word sounds like it would be fun to use. Probably a little like "chevere".
Anyway, welcome back...love your style and your recaps.
 

Thanks Judy B. Gosh I felt bad for Monica. She so does not deserve CL for a husband and as for Paula...you're right, she's a bit of a cold fish. Paula is probably wracked with guilt (as she should be), but I couldn't agree more that she should have moved in with some TLC. Juan seemed much more sympathetic toward Monica than did Paula.

Thank you for you comment on "Chido". I didn't catch that in the show. I am slogging through the slang and dichos and really appreciate it when you commenters 1) point out more fun stuff, and 2) correct me if I have gotten any translations wrong.

It's fun to be back! I love Juan!
 

Sylviaaaaa***Good to ''see'' you here again. About the reaction of Paula and Juan to the miscarriage... I used to teach in a senior high school. When I returned to work after my first baby died and a few months later after a miscarriage, the men were much more comfortable coming up and talking to me or giving me a hug. Most of the women seemed very uncomfortable to be around me and didn't want to talk to me about what had happened [except for my 4 closest friends]. One teacher who had her baby about the same time as I did told my friend that she felt ''uncomfortable around me. '' People are very odd in these situations. One older male teacher actually asked me if I needed any help trying again. Yes, he really said that to me. Some comments I got were worse than that. People are amazing.
 

Hey, Sylvia, fabulous recap, full of your extraordinary wit! Welcome back!

“He'd better watch himself because even Mama has her limits. She pushes him out the door” I’ve begun to wonder if there’s really no inheritance left and Alirio is hiding the fact so he can marry Nidia. Alirio is one odd bird for a lawyer. Oh, heck, he’s just an odd bird, period.

“(I loathe CL but honestly, if that snotty beeatch was my secretary she would be so F-I-R-E-D!)” LOL! Amen!!! That’s been my thought several times. It’s not going to happen, unfortunately, I’m thinking. There’s ever so much more entertaining trouble this chica can cause.

CL is abusive. The way he has treated all those close to him is beyond bullying and harassment (the new catch words in education, because so many states are passing anti-bullying/harassment laws for schools to implement—not a bad thing). He’s got bullying and put-downs to a science.

Susanlynn, I totally agree with you about losing babies and how women react. I’ve lost four total, with the last daughter stillborn early. The reactions from women were mystifying. No one has a clue about an appropriate thing to say. One week after the stillbirth, people were “consoling” me with “well, you can always adopt.” NOT the right answer. I really feel sorry for Monica, and for Paula, though I’m not Paula’s biggest fan.

Judy B., here are a couple of websites for words like legrado-these have some words that none of my other dictionaries or the other online translation services have:

http://dictionary.reverso.net/spanish-english/legrado

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dict_en_es/spanish/legrar

Sylvia, thanks for the dichos!

Jeanne
 

I haven't posted in awhile because I am so far behind on the shows. So, I haven't been reading the recaps, but decided I'll never catch up so que the heck. I decided that I'll pick them up at where they are so I can join in the Caray Caray conversations.

I have to say I don't like Paula and I don't like CL, so they can go off in the sunset together for all I care. Monica is incredibly niave, but I like her. She's a genuinely nice person. I felt terrible for her last night, losing her baby.

I have to admit, I'm one of those women who doesn't know what to say when someone loses a child. I'm terrible with words of sympathy in general, but when a child dies it is hard to find words of comfort. It is a pain that seems unimaginable to me and my heart goes out to anyone who's had it happen to them. It is just not the way it is suppose to work----no parent should have to bury a child. So perhaps, people are so afraid of saying the wrong thing, they think it is best to say nothing. I'll try to remember what you have all shared and make a point to reach out---even if it only with a hug.

Back to the show, I do think Paula's guilt is probably what kept her from extending any comfort to Monica.

Jeanne---I think you are right, Alirio has probably squandered the money and now he's just trying to score a little booty. He's a creep!! Nidia deserves better. I'm hoping she can get out of this marriage before it even begins.
 

Wow, Cathy! It's great to see you back! We've missed you! You must be back in school, huh? Hope it's going well.

Yes, saying nothing and giving a hug, or "gee, I am thinking of you" and a hug are very welcome. Nothing more is really needed, I think.

Nidia DOES deserve better, and so does Monica. At first I didn't like Nidia much, but she is definitely growing on me. I thought she and Alirio were meant for each other. Not now. He's creepy.

Jeanne (off for an out of town trip)
 

Welcome back Cathy, we missed you!

Jeanne, I hope you enjoy your trip, we'll see (hear/read) you when you get back.

Susanlynn and Jeanne, thank you for sharing your personal experiences. Your comments are eye-opening. I chose long ago not to hold people culpable for stupid things they say or do during times of grief or during weddings. Some people just get very weird at times of high emotion. (Probably myself included.)

I agree that Alirio probably blew the booty and now he just wants the bootie.

It's great to be back!!
 

Sylvia***We missed you ! I saw a few clips from ''Pasion'' on Youtube. Fernando rocks with the loooong locks and bandana , i must say ! I guess that they are filming in Colombia. Say it with me now...............PIRATES. Thank you, Carla. ***Susanlynn, needing to get a cool drink now
 

Susanlynn! When I was in Ensenada (and stuck in the customs office) I saw them previewing Pasion which they said would start in September...this month! But that would be Mexico not here.
 

Sylvia--So how soon can you be ready to leave for Mexico? I'll meet you at the border. ***Susanlynn, looking for her passport and sunscreen
 

The preview was cool. Some mean guy was beating a poor studly dude in a field and Susanna Gonzalez swooped in, fantastically indignant in her period costume... big hair, big skirt, big cleavage, and threw herself between the bully and the victim. She was magnificent.

See you at the border chica, I didn't even bother unpacking my sunscreen!!
 

PIRATES!!! That was for you, Susanlynn! Ah, Fernando Colunga with long locks and a bandana.....and hoisting the sails without his shirt because the sun is so hot....and.....however will we wait???? (Apparently some of you aren't willing to wait, though).

;-)

Thanks, Judy B. for your sharing, too. It seems the club is larger than we thought.

Sylvia, your policy of giving folks the benefit of the doubt for things they say because they are doing their best to give comfort is definitely on target. People say things that may be inappropriate, but they surely don't mean to be that way in such situations.

Jeanne (feeling down because the team I came to see just lost)
 

Jeanne---May I ask which team you went to see? We were watching the Penn State / Notre Dame game.
 

Wow, Susanlynn! Were you actually there? I read that tickets to that game were running highest of any in the nation, at $1,050.

Email me at "schoolmarm1973@gmail.com" and I'll give you details, if that's okay.

Jeanne
 

I think Enrique's receptionist girlfriend is named Julita. I agree that Cesar Luis is abusive. I'm surprised Monica in particular puts up with him. For that matter, why does Pastor put up with him? Pastor must be paid very well!

Is Yadira going to school or something, or does she just hang around the house all day in those little party dresses?

This was a great recap, as always. Thank you.
 

Marely and Nidia tried to get Yadira to go to school way back when but Yadira refused. She just hangs out and does her nails, her hair, her makeup, etc.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder