Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Destilando 10/17 - in which Gav plays Linus and Rod plays The Great Pumpkin

My back really hurts tonight because I had to haul a morbidly obese goat around by the horns three times today. Why I had to do that is for the other blog (maybe tomorrow). I took some painkillers and watched Destilando in kind of a haze. Especially at the end when Av* got started with the Department of Agriculture, the details are quite fuzzy...

Unless I tell you otherwise, every scene in which Gaviota appears tonight, she is gazing at the phone and begging Rod to call her, or standing in a dark corner ditto. I remember this from high school. It never, never worked. Or it's like waiting for the Great Pumpkin. Clarita is disgusted.

Rod, however, is having a splendid time with Erika (since she is no longer his doctor I am dropping her title). He likes her smell, etc. She dares him to call Gav (since he's staring at the phone), in response he says he'll be the shrink this time. He says Erika is nervous, depressed, paranoid, and crazy, partly for her car and the drunk electrician, partly for Rod. She says she isn't the solution to Rod's problems, she's just a distraction, he's substituting her for the other woman. He's using her. He's like those cigarette smokers who ask a friend to help with the quitting. But when the friend leaves the room, it's back to the coffin nails.

Dr. Blondie is constantly watching Gav watch the phone and asking, "Has Rodrigo called you? Are you upset?" I say MYOB.

Sofia, distraught, sits in bed next to Frankie, who is sleeping peacefully. She's reviewing scenes of Isa and Frankie together over the months. Now their odd behavior makes sense.

Rod gets home from his late night at Erika's apartment and asks the maid if Isa's been going out lately, if she's given the maid weekends off. "No, but she did go out the other night to see her parents. She didn't take the baby." He seizes the phone and starts to call Gaviota, but Isa comes into the room and asks who he's calling. "Just business." They have an icy interchange, she leaves. He sits with his chin near the phone and a shotglass of Ardiente Pasion. Gav sits with her chin near the phone.

Next day Rod dandles little Ricky to say goodbye. Nuria (Isa's mom) calls and Rod takes the call, telling Nuria he has a message for her husband. "Oh, but he's on a trip, has been for more than a week." "Oh, hmm, Isa said she visited the both of you this past weekend." Nuria sort of denies it. Rod confronts Isa. She is impactada into the commercial.

You'd think that, having had the entire commercial break during which to pull herself together, Isa would have shaped a better retort. Her explanation is feeble. Rod, in parting, carelessly warns her: "Next time you say you're visiting your rents, take the kid." Isa calls her mother and asks "EXACTLY what did you tell Rodrigo?" "No, you tell me, what are you getting yourself tangled up in?"

On the way out Rod asks the new apartment manager if he can look at Isa's list of visitors when he gets back. No problem Massah.

Gav at work: "Nancy ... any calls for me?" No. Nancy reveals she wasn't really sick Saturday, she just wanted [to avoid listening to the boring Dr. Blondie I don't blame her I'd do the same. -- Ed.] to leave the two possible future lovebirds alone together, everybody knows Blondie loves Gav. Nancy also says there's a special surprise in store...

Dani visits Rod and sees he is ruddy and beaming from his time with Erika, but still disturbed about Isa's father's disinclination to pay his huge debt. He also lays some of Isa's little lies before Dani, who asks if he'd mind if it turned out that Isa's been betraying him. "I'd be indignant, because of all her jealous rages about Gaviota." Dani is a little perturbed to see how, suddenly, her brother is all Erika Erika Erika.

Meanwhile Erika is at her own shrink's office, confessing that due to his tenderness, etc., she is falling in love with Rod. She's decided to quit him, not only as a shrink but also as a friend.

Dani warns Rod: maybe his goony delight in the doc will turn into a love affair. Rod: "Whatever, what's gonna happen is gonna happen." As a parting shot, Dani points out he might not want to be distancing himself from Gaviota this way when she's about to spend a month alone with Dr. Blondie. This infuriates Rod in the old way and he picks up the phone and calls - Erika. She's in the car. He's all beaming and appreciation and "let's get together as soon as I'm back." She puts him off.

Gav has Nancy call Montalvo Corp. and, using a disguised voice, ask if Rod has left. He just left. Blondie instantly slinks in and asks how she's going to do this month without her big boy. Fine, she lies. Blondie says it will be the greatest month of her life, not only lots and lots of work, and all the coffee she can drink, but loads of invitations to all sorts of interesting (?) events. He tells her to dry her tears and come to his office.

Dani tells her granny Pilar how much Rod likes his shrink and how 'successful' the therapy seems to be. Pilar thinks it will make him a family man but Dani says with Isa no, not so much. Fedra calls for Pilar. I can't bear to recap this all again! The witches visit Pilar, they complain about being left off the guest lists again by that maldita husband robber Mariana Franco, Pilar assumes they're back to their evil scheming and it serves them right, they flounce out.

Dr. Blondie is discussing the naming of a building after Amador, four years after his death. [My eyes commenced closing like Gav's during the coffee cantata. --Ed] He invites Gav to go to a place with AfroCuban music, she accepts because, she informs him, she isn't a masochist. She starts to smile. Why close doors with Dr. Santovenia when nothing will ever work out with Rodrigo?

Av* summons Blondie. [Now my head is swaying on my neck and my eyelids are drooping. Remind me never to take a job at CRT.] Due to lots of rain and global warming there are now agaves that mature more quickly, this will destabilize world markets, Dr. Blondie has to go to Japan he can't stay home wooing Gav in his slow-but-sure manner, and in fact he has to give some talk this very night, it's an emergency, adios AfroCuban night on the town!

And this trouble with the brujas is getting on Av*s nerves, and of course they have to be unerased from the guest list for events honoring Don Amador! And if Gav can't take it she will have to go elsewhere!

Tomorrow: Blondie tells Gav he loves her. Rod goes on his trip but he has a present for a certain someone.

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks Melinama for the excellent recap.

I was laughing at the sight of Erika at her psychiatrist friend's office talking about her friendship with Rod. And did you notice that the psychiatrist was the actor who played "Jose Maria" in Amor Real. He also has a small recurring part in Amar Sin Limites.

And Dani is quite the observant little sis - pointing out Rod may be transferring his obsession from Gavi to Erika.
 

Melinama - Thanks for the fast and fabulous recap. It was fun to be at the back of the bus again tonight just looking out of the window while you did expert driving. I think the recapper mode of forced attention does excellerate one's understanding, for anyone who dreams of recapping one day. Big benefits in store. I was jazzed about doing it and the effect was feeling more involved than ever with the show and with commenters. I really appreciated the apoyo from the other recappers and commenters. It was a privilege to serve.
Another night of not much action but lots of setting the plot-ducks up in rows for the next round of activity. The long tease at the hacienda has me feeling too much foreplay may not be good but who knows we have tomorrow night and Friday to light that fire in to a blazing bonfire of fun. Erika has regained my trust as a concerned professional who has mistakenly fallen in love with at patient only Crikey, Why? What has she seen of how great Rodrigo looks flying toward her on a horse or dipping her gently down to the ground under the old hacienda tree. I feel bad for Gaviota and want Rodrigo to get over this infatuation but if it makes him a better MAN then so be it.
 

Thanks for the fast recap..Is it wrong to hate all these people?

Oh and good call, I told my husband that was me standing by the phone. For like three years all my friends would say, "No Dale didn't call" everytime I walked in a room. Well thirty years later..Ha your loss Dale...

Rod really repluses me, cause he has totally transferred all of his feelings for Gavi to Erika. She hasn't helped him, he is just as unstable as ever. I told my husband if Erika gave him the signal, they'd be doing the Sniffin Horizontal Bop. Then he could stalk her when the "Oversexed Mechanic" brought back her car and dared speak to her.

Damn Gavi, it sucks to be you. Right now the convent does look like the better choice. How can someone be as boring as Blondie, you would think his soul would just get fed up and leave his body.
 

these recaps are really better than the story... the plot.. the actors...

cherylnewmex-- I think that bonfire should be Sofie lighting the bed on fire, and I don't mean that in a sensual way (as if!). Can you say french fry?

I must confess at some point in my life engaging in the self-torment of phone-watching. It's a girl-sport and at some point, you become the big-girl and you pick up the phone. dial or don't.

(sigh)

these people.

and doesn't Fedra's hair look like a helmet head? there, I said it.

but my real confession is that I like smells. I can relate to the smells of the earth, especially the desert smell of rain. of the verde smells of the campo. of fruit and bread, tortillas and sometimes of people.

Rodri though is jes one of them nasty sniffy dogs. soon he'll be humpin' on the leg.

and at the risk of regressing to the last episode's conversation-- what's the big deal with the pirate novelas? I haven't seen one yet. somehow I think pirates don't smell good. Could one of you veteranas/ranos please please enlighten me?

VV
 

VV, I myself had a mad (and utterly unfortunate) love affair with a guy partially because I loved his smell.

Pirates are making us crazy in anticipation because (a) we loved the two previous costume telenovelas done by Carla Estrada (Amor Real and Alborada) and (b) we are not yet over our mad jones for Colunga (see sidebar "we miss him.")
 

The road to Gavi and Rod finding each other again is a difficult one...very difficult to watch also. I understand attraction, but these people fall in love way too easily. Rod is a mental mess, yet Erika, in so short a time, has found him easy to love..more like easy on the eye, I'd say. Same for Dr. Blondie. Even though he has spent a little more time with Gavi, than Erika with Rod, I think the Dr's case is more a case of deep admiration, and lonliness, being alone for 4 yrs. Rod is definitely transferring obsessions. The problem is that we have to sit through it and witness this nonsense. I'm truly at a loss here, and hating every minute of it!

Lisa from Alpena
 

Thanks for the recap Melinama, especially under meds. Not being a farm girl, I can't imagine why you would be hauling an obese goat around, three times a day?? Do they need the exercise? I hope you feel better soon.

These novela folks are full throttle in "love" whenever they're attracted to someone. They don't take any other qualities or actions of the person into consideration. They really don't even care what the other person thinks, they just want to be "loved" back. They stay stuck on someone like a leech, which will remain stuck until they're full...
jb
 

Thank you, Melinama. You have an interesting life...owner of chickens and a brand new donkey...and now hauling around an obese goat. You should write a book...something like ''My Life and Livestock.'' You're like a grownup 4-her, and I know 4hers. I grew up with a bunch of them most of whom raised Black Angus and Hereford steers. Anyhoo, life moves onward [or does it?...maybe it just goes round and round] in telenovelaville. At least we didn't have to watch Clarita bouncinbg up and down wide-eyed and shreiking at Gavi in this episode. Clarita is more like an annoying little sister than a mother. I think I dozed again because I didn't see Erika at the psychiatrist, and I can't remember who Jose Marie was in Amor Real. Rod, you are a major disappointment to me. The galan is NEVER really supposed to stop mooning and pining and obsessing over his onetruelove...even when he gives in to doing the horizontal mambo with some other mujer [evidence : Manuel and the nasty Antonia [Minnie] in Amor Real in the tub...Manuel was STILL pining over the delicate Matilde each and every time he did the deed with Antonia..Bleeech.]. What ever happened to holding on tight to your dream, El Toro ??? Pilar looks perkier to me. Did she have some ''refreshing'' done??? If so, kudos to Dr. Nipandtuck. And W, to echo Melinama...pirates...YAY !!!Carla Estrada...historical costume dramas...Fernando Colunga...SI SI, we are jonesing for all these things in the new show ''Pasion.'' P.S. We've all sat by the phone waiting ...tragically, I at one low point in mi vida I was sitting by the phone waiting for a call from a guy who didn't have a phone. Now , that's tragic.
 

Great recap, Melinama! I hope your arms feel better soon. I can't imagine hauling a goat around but I admire you for being able to do it. Me.... I just have birds that make too much noise...

As for smell....when my husband played fast pitch softball years ago and walked in the house after playing all day in 90 plus heat... well.....

And I also remember wating by the princess phone, waiting for a certain guy to call...what a waste!!!

Wouldn't it be great if Sofie would set up a trap and catch Smarmy and Isa??? The hair would fly!!!

And Rod is acting too weird right now, but he's still got a great smile.....
 

Melinama, you have an obese goat now? Caray caray! I'm looking forward to your Pratie explanation.

Susanlynn, could you refresh my memory, when does PIRATES start?

Cheryl, congratulations on joining the recapping team!
 

Oops, Melinama. I hope your back feels better soon! If it had been me, it would have been my arms which would have felt like they were about to fall off....you must have strong arms!
 

Dr. Blondie was so obnoxious last night! He was acting like a vulture circling around Gavi's head. "So are you done with Rodrigo yet? Did he call you? Can we go out on a date? Huh huh can me? Wah, boss, what do you mean you want me to do my job? But I was going to go out on a daaaaate!"

You'd think he'd be smart enough to stay away from a woman on the rebound from a freshly broken (in fact, still in the process of breaking) heart.
 

skGreat, succinct recap! You do better on painkillers than I do without my Spanish captions; no Univison closed captions for the last few days; don't know why.

Thank goodness I'm way over the sitting by the phone waiting for a call phase. What misery that was.
Age does have some benefits.

How did Sofi not kill Frankie last night, as he slept through her crying? I hope she's planning a great revenge, otherwise, she's more stupid than I thought, to be even in the same room with him, much less the same bed.

One little Frankie, Jr. is enough; pray that Sofi didn't fall for the "let's start a family" line.

Is Rod a knight on a white horse, or white Mercedes, rushing to save Erika from being marooned in el pueblito with a defunct car? Her own príncipe azul. That is toooo looney, even for a novela.
Why are all the shrinks on novelas so unprofessional?

Slogging onward...
 

Maybe Sofia is still in too much shock to deal with Frankie.

She doesn't even need to plot her revenge. All she has to do is pick up the phone and say "Hey Rodrigo, guess what?" Rod is practically on the verge of figuring it out on his own anyway.

What is she waiting for? Maybe she suspects that Ricardo isn't really a Montalvo, which would mean no money for Sofia and then she'd have to get a job. Not that she doesn't have any skills - we know she can iron shirts and cook. Perhaps she could be Frankie and Isa's maid.
 

Thanks Melinama. I always enjoy your recaps. Just as I suspected, Erika had her eyes on Rod all along. I dislike her type therapy so much until I enjoyed the scenes when Rod was drinking and acting a fool. A good therapist would not have allowed her patient to force her to dance and drink. That low cut blouse spoke volumes. I know this is mean, but I would love to see her therapist get all googy eyed and smiley over her and invite her to his other office which just happen to be in a cozy settings that served alcoholic beverages. Gavi has never been as mean to Rod as he has been to her. Nothing would please me more than to see her dump him and find herself a real man. I'd love to see Erike and Blondie together. And yes, great idea to drop their titles until they start acting like profesionals. I'm so ready for this to wrap up. Looks like we're gonna have weeks of Sophie crying and moping while still fixing honeybun's b'fast. I'm not pleased with any of the actors right now.
 

Cherylnewmex, you mentioned having a list of 800 words (I think it was you). That made me remember that there used to be a vocabulary list available on the sidebar. Can someone tell me what happened to it? I'd love to start looking at some of those words. thanks muchas.
 

Rod's stock has fallen waaay down with me. The e-mail he sent to the CRT was mean, and not calling his true love before leaving the country is mean too. It's hardly stalking to call and say goodby for a while.
Why doesn't Gavi just pick up the phone and call for heaven's sake? She must know his cell number.
Also, I agree that if he's so in love with Gavi, he should be blind to the doctora's many attractions.
 

Does anyone know if the pirates are going to start after Destilando is over? I've started to see coming attractions for another telenovela.
 

If Erika should lose her therapist license for unprofessional behavior, she can always open a boutique full of garden party frocks. Interesting that she and Gavi were both wearing jeans and frilly white blouses on their weekends.
 

Thanks for a great little recap, Melinama. Last night's episodio was dull enough to put us all to sleep even without the drugs. You're a trooper!
===========

LOL, VV!!

=======
Dr. Coffee is quickly turning into a big snore. Handsome, but oh so ho-hum.
 

I agree, the recaps are more interesting than the actual novella. Question: Does anyone else cringe when Dr. Blondie says, "Gaviota"? I still feel that that name is reserved for family and special friends. It is like "now I call her by her nickname so I am closer to her", without her permission, of course.
B in Mass.
 

To the person who asked if Pasion (pirate novela) will replace Destilando Amor, yes it will. If my math is correct, Destilando Amor will end on Nov. 30th and Pasion will start on Dec. 3rd. I hope this answers your question. About the novela your seeing the previews, I'm guessing that's Bajo La Misma Piel (even though it started already).


Melinama I hope you are feeling better. Muchas gracias for the recap.


Jennifer
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder