Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Destilando Amor 10/16/2007 "Scent of a Woman Redux"


If we got to dance with Al Pacino after suffering through the snorking scenes it would be one thing but, sheesh!
I am here to substitute for "La Ilustre Tash" with pleasure but with fear of more groseras y tontorias, but hey old Rodrigo woke up fresh and handsome and so full of himself he was almost sexy again. To purify and clear my head I was forced to attend to my homework for Literatura Mexicana y dios mio I read with pleasure about Sor Juana Inéz de la Cruz, the 16thC. uber-intellectual, feminista monja (nun). Well to get on with the tonight's story: Enter Gavi in tears leaning against a wall.

Frankie the Francophile descends the stairs (not nude, too bad) saluting the day with 5 cents worth of French and looking for his gourmet breakfast. Since Slave Sofie is in the kitchen he slips into the study to make a quicky clandestine call to Isadora to warn her that her calls in the madrugada are getting on his last nerve and making Sofie mighty suspicious. She appears outside the study door to hear him making sweet murmurings of a call later and sending besos. Sofie scares him by walking quietly into the room, he feigns looking for the paper. Other than reading "The Metrosexual Male" while steaming his face one day at Pilar's there is no other evidence that he can read. On seeing that he's getting bagel and smoked salmon, he graciously takes the tray from his impactada wife and sweeps out of the room. Now look at the clothes she has on today, hair down and feminine without being adolescent, purple shirt with nice cleavage, and a black skirt (not denim for a change). This subtle improvement of wardrobe gives her the sudden electric power in her brain to use redial. When she realizes that Isadora is the voice on the other end she throws the phone down like it was a snake. IMPACTADA hardly describes it. Isa is looking confused on the other end, get a clue girlie, your game isn't working so well this morning. So quick but too short a scene after all our waiting for this show down, mean tease!

Gaviota is mopey in getting ready for Alonso to come, Clarita is jumping around like she has Mexican jumping beans in her pants. Gavi is worried about missing a minute by the phone in case Rodrigo calls, Clarita has another moment of clarity and insists that is exactly what she must not do to herself (and Clarita is ripping for a bit of fun on the town and a long week of sayng, "como asi"). Her clarity comes when she reminds Gavi that after she demanded that Rod not bother her life or work and he complies, she says now look at your face (long and about to be weepy). Saved by the bell, Clarita sprints to the door while making a quick stop at the santos shelf, praying for an eye on the house, asking for love to work out with others and avoiding the tragedies (we are all too used to). Gee, I hope they put those candles out for fire safety before they leave, they always seem to be lit. Alonso sweeps in, well scrubbed in immaculate clothes. All smiles he gets Clarita wound up then side bars to Gavi that he hopes she doesn't feel forced to go out. Duh, buddy boy. Clarita and he arrange to go to a lugar con comida tipica since Clarita prefers it and this place will surely have a Mariachi band. Gavi hisses that she will not be singing so don't even ask.

Slip to the 3rd stage setting back in the country, Erika is looking doubtful at her jolly and very dirty mechanic who is still pulling wires out from the hood and mumbling something about cables. I thought it was carburator trouble a few days ago but this guy is quietly milking the repair opportunity when Rodrigo shows up in his humming white luxury carriage ready to sweep the princess off her feet. Rod avers that it is pure coincidence that he is stopping by. He would like to talk to her and after almost leaving her he leads her over to the restaurant assuring her that he needs her to be friendly to him, talk to him nicely on the ride home and to realize that she is not his therapist. At the table he beams that he is most satisfied with her treatment and feels all fixed up. She does show her professional best by saying perhaps there will be outbursts later and she is ashamed to have compromised her professional ethics by getting all borracha with him. The mechanic repeats that the electric system no va. A more borracho than thou electrician shows up. Rodrigo gets his town mechanic on the phone and arranges for a tow truck to come for Erika's car.

Parallel Universe time, cut to the other table where no-fun Gaviota, Alonso and Clarita are ordering. Gavi is so blue she only wants nopale salad and water with horchata. Of course Clarita wants huge platos of comida and tequila to wash it down with. Alonso is right with her. The Mariachis play some lovely but muy triste songs that bring Gavi to tears as they sing about lost in my abyss, I have nothing left, and I remember being in your arms until your betrayal.....oh gawd, hankies please.

Holy cats, the show is half over and que the hell is going on in the Hacienda?? Go ahead cut to commercial, bastardos.
Sorry but first the Rod/Erika show gets in the luxe car and sweeps toward DF. Universo paralelo time again. We get the same song on Rod's radio as is suddenly played live at Gavi's table. Solo una amiga....sweet memories of my life. Gaviota suddenly offers to take a cab but Alonso doesn't look like he wants to stay with bouncy Clarita. Gee once again it looks like nobody is who they want to be with. Doesn't this remind you of high school dating?? The Alonso date ends with him making blue puppy eyes up at her windows.

Finally Sofie is shown suffering, (I know it's unkind but some of us have been waiting with bated breath for this). She flashes back scenes with Isadora that suddenly make sense, Frankie's hankie from his hankie pankie, etc.

Good old James appears his shirt is almost normal looking if not for the embroidered pocket flaps. He is in tears before Sofie can let out a sob. Acacia was glad to see him today but perhaps he will have to face the fact that she is stuck in that awful nut house (so rude, I should say sanitorium or what is the pc phrase for the place where you get to keep people in straight jackets, I forget). Do they still do shock treatments? Poor Acacia she was such a lovely creature. He cuts himself off politely demuring from depressing Sofie who he thinks momentarily is crying for his story. She sputters out that she's been thinking all day and then we have IMPACT, folks, Frankie has deceived her and with ISABELA. Triple impactada. James goes into immediate denial. There must be some reason this seems wrong but isn't. So have you ever noticed that two of the three Montalvo children barely have time to hear about James really, really tragic story of an abused, fragile wife who couldn't keep it together. You'd think he had described a nasty break in her leg because they jump to their cesspool tragedy to howl in the wind about fracadas of their own making after a minute of two of ceding the stage to him. Franco must have a sense of doom since he hovers at the door then slinks in to hear Sofie insist that she has influenza, what a martyr in the making, no? Franco is so solicitous he even offers to walk her around the pueblo. Remember that last time, you moron?? Every babe within 20 kilometers is purring at him. James finally leaves quickly in disgust. I almost turned off the set but hey it gets more than slimey. He has more aces up his sleeve than a Los Vegas bum. He has the gall to suggest it is time for them to make babies. eeewwwww, yuck gooey kisses and so much falsehood.

Back to Clarita and Gavi where Clarita has another clear moment of saying Gavi could love this doctor who only want to be nice to her, he would die for you. She gives that motherly speech that we have mostly all heard about shop and compare then choose but WISELY. Her TN reference here is "Amores Paralelos" about the mujer who loved 2 men and couldn't choose so she ended up as a NUN. Listen carefully, girls, this could be your sad fate one day!

Gavi talks briefly to Dani who knows nothing of Rodrigo's whereabouts but is surprised Rod didn't call Gavi. They resolve to stay in touch. She got the invitation to Elvis Perez III & Señora (did I miss a wedding here).
One last scene with Rodrigo in Erika's apartment. Here talk turns to French and German literature and the science of smell. I actually had been thinking of Marcel Proust and "Remembrance of Things Past" when this whole smarmy aroma deal invaded the script. Siskind with "Perfume" shows us that Erika is an intellect to be reckoned with. I am not familiar with Bargo's work on the connections of aroma and absence. Supposedly the brain houses olfactory senses near long term memory areas. Let's discuss, I'm not nor have ever been a brain surgeon nor a neurochemist. But I like to talk about these things.

Pilar comes in and I could swear she smiled or her eyes moved a bit when she thinks the psych work on Rod will make him forget Gavi. I would hate to have to lip read her face. Pilar has been out and about with Nestor and reminds Dani that the 4 year anniversary of Amador's death and the Letter is to be read (listen for the sound of the other shoe dropping, stay tuned).

Next time: More sad music, Gaviota does not hear from Rodrigo but Erika does. Alonso and Nancy looked worried at Gaviota's depressing ways.....

Buenas noches amigos and amigas.

Labels:


Comments:
Fabulous work! I love your new verb to "sidebar" to somebody and plan to try it out myself. Yes, it was a muy asco episode. Rod all shiny and perky, blech. Ditto gav all mopey and as for Clarita bouncing, I have to fast forward every time she's on camera. Nothing but rehash ever happens in her scenes, anyway. Thanks Cheryl!
 

Great maiden voyage, Cheryl. I don't watch the telenovela anymore (too much angst) but I enjoy your blogs and looked forward to your first recap.
You're off to a great start! Maybe you could be a "universal sub" filling in on any of the telenovelas when a regular is out of town.

Judy B.
 

Terrific, Cheryl! Thanks! So many zingo's I cannot count them all.

--I highly recommend "Perfume" from the local vid-eo. It is muy worth the $3.00 if theme and thought (rather than script as it's mostly narrative) and sheer artistry of the cast and production crew as captured on film are your bent.
 

Thanks, CherylNewMex. Cute doggie. I enjoyed the ''Nude Descending the Stairs'' reference , but it did conjure up a disturbing image of the amoral Frankie in the nude wearing a Panama hat while strutting down the stairs. He has become unbearable. Why didn't Sophie smack him right then and there? Rod does clean up well. He looked spiffy sitting in Erika's cowhide chair. But Dr. Coffee with the sweater slung over his shoulders was the last straw for me. Where does he think he is ??..the Princeton tennis courts...so preppy. Basta. I am finding it increasingly difficult to like any of these people. There isn't even a cute doggie to love in this novela. Auxillio.^^^Susanlynn, scanning the horizon for a pirate ship
 

I'm sorry you got such a dud episode for your first recap, Cheryl, but thank you for making the recap capture all the good things that this ep should have had and didn't. :)

I shouldn't be so harsh, since I was thumbing through a catalog through most of this one except for the James/Sofie scene. Maybe it wasn't as boring as I thought. For instance, I missed the thing about the invitation. Maybe it was an invitation to Dani & Elvis's wedding?
 

Hee Hee Hee..very good, I too was reading Vanity Fair last night and did not pay attention. So thanks for filling me in.

My husband & I did laugh over the brief few seconds of talk time James got over his problem.

The references to the smell thing went right over my head in the last Rod/Erika scene..Okay now I get it. Yeah WTF, we all know that smells can trigger a deep memory of childhood, or something that has been buried forever. Now that still doesn't explain why Rod continues to act so "Special", & for the love of Gawd & all 365 of the calendar saints, please I beg you stop that sniffing.

Now I feel sorry for Gavi, & wish Clarita would STFU, I mean yeah maybe she does need to move on..but she doesn't feel the spark with Blondie, as if anyone would.
 

Great work Cheryl, I've enjoyed your comments about the recaps but didn't realize that you were a recapper (and a good one at that). I loved the words you used "mean tease" to describe that itsy bitsy scene when Sophie found out about Isa. I was feeling really bad for Sophie until refused to confront him and even allowed that slime ball to touch her. She's hurting now, but when she finds out that her slime ball doesn't have even an ounce of blue blood, I'll bet that'll hurt more than the infidelities. Meanwhile, I'm so glad that the play Blondie is making for Gavi isn't working. I hope that he realizes he's turning Rod's suspicions about him into a reality. It's like Rod knew he couldn't trust him (Blondie) the minute he turned his back. Buck eyed James was back on the scene. True the montalvo's interrupt him with their own love sick story, but they claimed the title first. Rod was crying to James about Gavi, long before James decided he needed someone to cry over in his life. So, each time he starts his tearful Acacia, I swear that I think whichever Montalvo he happens to be with can hear me shout "Shut him up". They never fail to take over and I breathe a sigh of relief cause I just can't take it coming from James. Hey, I hate to write such a long one, but I didn't get home last night in time to read Beckster's recap. I read it this morning and it's a prize winner. I perfectly understand your take on Rod's drinking and sniffing problem since you are a Rod Rangerette. However, I'm loving every minute of him acting a fool. He's really playing that part 100%. I'm happy that it's destroying any image Erika might have secretly held of him as a good catch. All the sniffing really cracked me up. Especially when he stole the pink scarf, tucked it in his jacket, made sure she was out of sight, and took a good long sniff. He was so real. I laughed until I cried. Now, my Spanish isn't that good, and I might be missing some of the finer points that would show that the only thing Erika had in mind was therapy, but it sure looks like she played a part in the situation getting out of control.
 

Great recap, considering how crappy the storyline has been recently! What with Rod sniffing the air like a dog and Gavi trying hard to be sad but not being able to move her eyebrows (because of too much botox, I'm guessing)it's getting really, REALLLLLY hard to watch! Right now, the recaps are more interesting. When, oh when will it get better????
 

Thanks for all the feedback from our Recappers, Rod Rangers and those precious Reacting Readers I have been so fascinated to meet on these blog pages since Aug. when I found CarayCaray. I am even more in awe of the Recappers after this first foray into translation duty. Thanks about the suggestion, Judy B. that I be a universal sub. I would enjoy that but I am also hoping for a spot on the pirate ship that sails from CarayCaray when Pasións begins after Desti is finally bottled for good. When I decided to make my summer study of Spanish the conquering of telenovelas as suggested by my favorite Spanish Lit teacher at Cervantes Inst. in Abq. I have kept a notebook of new vocabulary and have booked nearly 800 new words. I have many other methods of learning but this is cheap, right here at home with the fabulous poodle Willa at my side, and I get to talk with all of you five times a week. I have relatives I don't spend as much time with (gracias a Dios).
About the invitation to Elvis and Dani, Julie, that was an invitation from Gavi for a CRT event that the brujas are not invited to again but Dani and Pilar are. I missed 2 wks while in Australia so thought something happened but maybe it's a joke like Dani calling Gavi cuñada.
Now where did I leave my eye-patch and bandana...
 

Wonderful recap cherylnewmex! Your writing style is very entertaining. And THANK YOU!
 

Great. Loved your comments, Cheryl. Dr. Blondie/Dr. Dull puts me to sleep, and Rod gets more twisted and manipulative in true Montalvo style. What does Gavi see in this YY guy?
 

Great, great recap! I loved it.
I'm watching novelas to learn Spanish too - I'm on #5 with DA. The problem is that the vocabluary in the storylines has my linguistic pump primed to have a love affair with a Spanish-speaking man. Since I'm very happily married, this wasn't really a goal for me. LFMB did provide a lot of office lingo which was handy, and now I can talk tequila, too.
 

Cheryl - you may get a better offer yet, but I'm going to stop recapping for a while after Destilando ends. So if it's okay with Melinama (I've already emailed her), at the very least you should be able to get my alternate Tuesdays on that pirate ship. :)

BTW, yes "shock treatment" does still exist, but as far as I know it's used only in severe cases of treatment-resistant depression. It looks like poor Acacia has totally lost her marbles, so maybe there are drugs that could help, but zapping probably wouldn't.

OTOH there have been complaints of ECT sometimes causing permanent memory loss, and if anybody needs to forget something, it's Acacia, so...
 

Yep, shock treatment has made a big comeback. I heard a show on it last year on NPR, some people swear by it. The guy that was talking said it was the only thing that would remove his depression. Memory loss varies, but it was usually the most recent memories like a couple of weeks. It often returned though somewhat spotty.

Insulin shock has also been used, giving a patient a dose of insulin..dropping them into a comatose state for a while then pulling them out with glucose. I just read where it was stopped in the fifties.

Being a type 1 diabetic, I always wondered how that would work, cause let me tell you the insulin reactions that I have had that were bad enough that I was out of it...were way depressing, once I came out it to a circle or family or friends asking how in the hell could I have let that happen? Don't ever scare us like that again.

Yep, that is it I planned the whole thing..
 

Becky T. If Gavi had Botox to her forehead, it did not happen on the novela. Therefore, as far as I am concerned, it is making an assumption about something in her private life which is against the rules and has no bearing on the story line.
 

Cherylnewmex, is this in reference to the novela that follows Destilando? Just curious since I plan to watch whatever follows (providing it has recaps:)
 

I can remember my mother telling me that my Aunt Jeanne had had shock treatments. From what my mother said, they must have been awful for her. The treatments didn't seem to help Aunt Jeanne. At family gatherings, Aunt Jeanne was often ''taking a nap.''When I got older, I realized that she must have been on very heavy medication. I don't know how her problems began , but I do know that she lost a baby girl before my cousin Glenn who is my age was born...her only child. When my baby died , I told my mother that I was afraid of turning into Aunt Jeanne. Poor soul. I also remember my mother telling me that Glenn used to tell her, ''My mother is always crying.'' Very sad. She was a talented pianist and a beautiful woman..dark hair and eyes and she wore red, red lipstick. Her husband , my uncle Harry could have been a telenovela galan. He was named Adonis of his class. Two beautiful people who lived very sad lives due to her mental condition. Poor Acacia seems to have been given up on by the writers. I think we all need a little closure on her storyline instead of just having her disappear into that institution.
 

Duh, Cherylnewmx, I made a copy paste of the line from your comment that I wanted to ask about. Problem is, I forgot to paste it in. Here is what I am referring to:
"the pirate ship that sails from CarayCaray when Pasións begins after Desti is finally bottled for good".
 

Anon 430 PM, to say that the botox remark reveals something about Gavi's personal life is stretching the definition a bit. (We've said worse about Pilar). But the botox statement did arouse my curiosity and I was in the mirror pretending I was crying to see if I could get my eyebrows to move and I couldn't. So, perhaps that's not a fail proof test.
 

Yes, Diane, there is another Fernando Colunga starring role coming after Destilando. It is called Pasión in Mexico but is popularly referred to as Pirates here on CarayCaray. Did you watch Alborada or Amor Real? Colunga, Colunga, Colunga. Gasp, I need to rest just thinking about him (or at least lie down)....Hence all the pirate jokes from the Fernando Fanatics who are even a more hard core bunch than Rod's Rangers, yo creo.
 

Julie: Hope you'll still be posting as part of the group after DA......
=====================

Pasofino: you're blog name has me wondering if you own and ride one of the breed or if you simply are an admirer of its elegant gait? I am certain if you've watched a number of these period novelas, like Amor Real and Alborada that many times the horses are Pasofinos.
 

Cheryl and Jardinera, Thanks for the references to scents in literature... This led to an exciting and enlightining day researching Proust and Suskind online... I have not been able to get into my current Allende novel, so I guess I will be stopping by the library for Swann's Way on my way home.

Oh yeah, great recap too... You'll do great with the piratas!
 

Alma: you're welcome. The website for the movie is a work of art in itself! Anyway, if you'd like to explore it, here's the link. The soundtrack is something you may like as well, particularly if you like music background while you read the novel..... Perfect for the Halloween season.......

http://www.perfumemovie.com/
 

Excellent recap, Cheryl!
 

Just dropping in to say great work Cheryl...

Also regarding the pirates on the horizon, I have the character profiles and novela synopsis ready to go whenever appropriate. Being that we have a ways to go I don't know if it would be too early.
 

Marycelis, we won't post that sort of material until Destilando is in ultimos capitulos. Anybody know when that will be?
 

Melinama: I believe we're looking at mid-November for Ultimos Capítulos. They're saying over at TN-W that by the end of this week we'll see Ultimas Semanas. Countdown is 6 weeks from that point. =/8 >)
 

Well done, Cheryl! Muchas gracias. With Rod and Gavi off track from each other, I'm looking for any small nugget of entertainment from this TN, and the leads aren't providing it.
I, too, would like some kind of closure on Acacia's situation. Maybe James will have to be free to reconnect with Sofia once foul Frankie bites the dust. Sort of like a puzzle where you have to move all the pieces around. Did anyone else think one of the car repair guys resembled Cheech Marin? As I said, looking for any fun I can find right now. Did Grannie Pilar imply that Rod might be on his trip on the date of the will reading? No puede ser.
 

Geez, I get home from work and some anon. at 4:30 is all upset about my assumption about Gavi having botox...we talk much more about Pilar's eyes that don't close, for heaven's sake!! If you are offended, too bad. You don't have to visit here if it bothers you that much, especially if you wish to remain anonymous! Sheesh!
 

Yes! Cheech Marin!... Cheryl- bien hecho! excelente!. Am I the only one that can't understand James? (his specch, that is) I thought that Rod/Erika would spark something in this TN, but is it ever dragging these days...I hope that anvils start dropping soon, something HAS to happen. I keep telling myself that I'm watching it to enhance my spanish abilities, but that is a rationalization, I'm afraid that I'm hooked. We did get 3 "como asi"s last night. dorado dave
 

Hiya -- do you guys remember when Dr. Alonso invited the snooping Elvis in to talk black coffee in his office while Dani was chatting w/Gav in her office? 'Member that Dr. A showed Elvis the invitee list on the computer, and he let Elvis make his own entry? My guess is that he typed in Mr&Mrs Elvis III.

Re: what everyone is saying about botox--I've been trying to remember who it is Gavi looks like with all the staring with head turn, and it's definitely Betty Boop.

LaZorra (whist/whish/whist)
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder