Monday, October 08, 2007

Dichos, dichos y mas dichos

This is for all of you that love dichos. I have been looking for this little jewel for a long time. I read it for the first time when I was in primary (I think 5th grade) and loved it. I'll try to translate it later. I'm posting it to see if somebody wants to give it a try. ENJOY!!

El señor de los refranes (The Lord of the "refranes, dichos etc")

Nomás los estoy oyendo retobe y retobe, años y años, como burros con bozal o caballo que coge el freno, aquí los oigo como quien oye llover y no se moja, porque no hay peor sordo que el que no quiere oír, y porque perro que ladra no muerde, ni buey viejo pisa mata, y si la pisa no la maltrata, y porque son como la chiva de tía Cleta, que se come los petates y se asusta con los aventadores, o será porque el valiente de palabra es muy ligero de pies, y entre la mujer y el gato ni al cual ir de más ingrato; Además: que para el arriero, el aguacero, y soy de los que aúllan, hasta que se cansa y corre; de modo que para qué tantos gritos y sombrerazos, ni tantos brincos estando parejo el llano, pues al fin y al cabo son como los cabrestos que solitos entran, o como gallinas que duermen alto: con echarles maíz se apean, o como el pobre venadito que baja al agua de día, y si no cabrestean se ahorcan, lueguito vendrán a pedir frías, porque quieren jugar al toro sentados; pero recuerden que al son que me tocan bailo, y no soy de los que pierden las cuentas como las mujeres, si les gusta el ruido, ruido; calma y nos amanecemos; en resumidas cuentas: me gustan la cuentas claras y el chocolate espeso.

Agustín Yáñez

Labels:


Comments:
Heck, Maricruz, I'm still challenged by simple sentences most of the time. This one looks like a run-on from hell! :)
 

I know Julie; I seem to remember that this was written by Agustín Yáñez as an answer to some critics that accused him of not having a good knowledge of colloquialisms and Spanish usage. I think he showed them better ;)
 

Oh my! My head is spinning. I only recognize two: There are none so deaf as those who will not hear, the dog's bark is worse than his bite. I'm looking forward to your translation Maricuz. This is fun, thanks for posting.

Schoolmarm, what are the dicho/refranes books that you are currently using? I think I need to pick up at least one.
 

This is so cute, Maricruz! Could it be cantínfleando? ;-)

I'll look at it when I have a little time, too. But, in the next few days I should get about four new dicho/idiom dictionaries from amazon.com, and that'll help a lot.

Sylvia, right now I use six regular dictionaries, including one of Mexican Spanish terms (Hamel), two unabridged (Oxford and Larousse), a couple of plain old standard pocket style (Barron's verbs and Berlitz pocket dictionary) and a Mexican Slang dictionary that is a bit blue. I also use Yahoo's online dictionary (very good and almost always has good dichos with the words), wordreference.com, and once in a while Google Translate.

Now you see why it takes me so long. The Good News is that I usually remember them after I've worked to look them up, so the next time I see one, I know it without going through it all again.

I'll let you know how the new dicho books work.

Jeanne
 

Oh, yeah, one more thing....sometimes I simply put the phrase, in quotes, into Google and see what comes up. Occasionally I include the words "translate to English" and it helps. I have to be careful, though. Some really nasty websites can come up without my realizing until too late.

Jeanne
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder