Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Pasión 12-26: "What are we, white doves?"

Marco is still spying about town; Lisa is still mooning over cousin Ric, now aka "de Carvajal;" Ric tells his cousin and aunt not to take matters into their own hands with the widow, he'll do it; Saintly pours his heart out to Justo, father of both his ex-fiancee Camila (now the widow) and his current wife Rita, then says he knows his duty and will do it.

Justo tells Ofelia, Saintly's mom: surely Saintly will give in to temptation. "Oh no, they're well brought up, they know what's proper, they'll just exchange a few words occasionally, after all, they're in-laws." "Ah, but when the blood boils..." muses Justo in an unhappy foreshadowing manner.

Ric crosses the square, where TWO MULES can be seen, and pays his respects to the regidor, our old failed satyr Don Jorge. Ursula, whom I would enjoy calling "Pinkie," likes the looks of our Ric and takes him in to see daddy. Like father, like daughter: they both think Ric would make a fine husband for her, he's rich, a gentleman, has good recommendations... she flirts on the way out and invites him to the party she's throwing on the coming weekend. "Party?" inquires her dad blankly. "I just thought of it," she says as she sweeps out.

Ric gives a weak story about being in town for business and then says he was a personal friend of the Salamanca family, that old Timoteo in his senility left his money to his young widow and left his daughter with (almost) nothing, he's here to do something about it. Jorge invites him, and the aunt and cousin, to stay at the palace as long as they like - life in the provinces is so boring and most who pass through are just merchants...

Ric tells Marcos the suckup regidor and his daughter are hypocrites - "like me." Marcos tells the story he learned from the codger at the inn and Ric is struck with pity for the widow - "I understand her attitude now, she wasn't arrogant, she was desperate!" - and now he doesn't want to take her money. He reiterates he has enough moolah for Lisa to live like a princess and have a good dowry. Marcos wonders who'll have her. Ric says she's pretty and well-bred, she'll have suitors "Not if they catch her sniffing YOU, she won't," Marcos sort of says, "you know she's madly in love with you." Ric says it's just affection. Marcos teases him for liking Camila. They discuss setting up a pirate refuge and going back to business stealing Spanish gold.

Doña Sofia is unimpressed with Jorge's story about the well-bred visitor being a good suitor - she doesn't trust in his credentials - but Ursula rejects the whole current list of suitors and insists Ric is the one for her.

In their new home Camila and Jimena are discussing the Antillano's lies - he'd said he'd buy freedom for Claudio and Angel, but he didn't... Jorge arrives, Camila doesn't want to let him in but she does anyway as the maid and Jimena melt away. He asks if she needs anything, she says no rather stiffly. "Hey, I know you're holding a grudge against me, but you and I both know nothing happened." "Nothing? Because of you Santiago almost died and I was kidnapped." "Well, he's ok now, married, he'll no doubt be a daddy soon, and you're not doing so badly, you rich widow you."

He gets down to it: there's a blind woman in town, with Timoteo's nephew, planning to get Timoteo's coffers back. Jorge says he'll help Camila thwart that. Camila says she heard Timoteo's nephew was a pirate. Jorge poo-poohs that.

He leaves and Jimena says Camila needs an important man (like Jorge) to help her. Camila says heaven forfend.

That mean old friend of Jorge's, is it La Font?, yells at his daughter who's supposed to be spying around town, especially on Ursula, but who hadn't told him about Camila being back in town. The daughter redeems herself with other gossip: Vasco is out - Ursula's mad he hasn't been in touch and plans to dump him - and Ric is in.

And what do you know, Vasco lets himself in to Ursula's bedroom that night but she says it's over, she wants her keys back, and she's gonna marry the rich out-of-towner. Vasco calls her a whore and stomps out sulking.

Ursula is mean to her cute daughter and derides her doll's singing. Grannie Sofia says don't be so hard on the kid, and besides you neglect her. Sofia reiterates that recommendations can be bought and she doesn't trust the stranger. Ursula: "I'm going to marry him." Mom: "What if he won't have you?" "He'd have to be a fool not to want the rich daughter of the regidor - and he's no fool. Besides, Daddy likes him."

Sofia mutters: "People my husband likes are never decent people."

Marcos goes to the blacksmith's shop and asks Saintly to take care of Ric's horseshoes. Then he peers over the wall at Camila's place and watches the four musketeers discussing the departure, next morning, of Ascanio and Claudio. He reports back to Ric, who's surprised to hear Camila bought Claudio -- he'd thought his own henchman Lazaro (the same one he reamed out for borrowing a boat for a joyride) had bought the two kids on Ric's order. They surmise Lazaro just said he bought the kids and kept the dough for himself. "I'll quarter him!"

Rita and Saintly are sitting in a deadly silence in Ofelia's kitchen. Santiago leaves. "He's going to see HER," Rita whinges; Ofelia says "You shouldn't doubt your husband, and I've told you to conceal your jealousy." "He's not the same since she's back, we don't talk, he doesn't fulfill his Marital Obligations, how long must I tolerate this?" Ofelia suggests she should go talk to her sweet, reasonable sister Camila.

Jorge explains his little plan to La Font: he'll help Camila against the outlanders, and then in gratitude she'll become his lover. La Font sides with Sofia: don't trust him, recommendations can be bought. "Well, what are we, white doves? And by the way, how's it going with Foreman the Pirate King?"

Saintly is moping at the bar. Vasco comes in with a mope of his own: Ursula threw him out, just like a hired hand. "You knew it would happen." "Not like that, though! But she'll be back, she'll get tired of the new guy, and if she's pregnant, they won't know who the dad is. That new guy doesn't know her, it must just be business."

Saintly leaves the bar and tries to knock on Camila's door. The town crier asks what he's doing, "oh nothing," he limps away.

Marcos sees Ric doesn't want to go with Lisa and Tia's program of wealth-extraction, but he doesn't want to fight with them either. He says he'll go to Camila in the morning after Claudio and Ascanio have left.

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks Melinama.

I don't know much about gold coins in this era, but the chest full of coins that Camila had Ascanio leave for Lisabeta and her Tia a few episodes back looked like ALOT of money. What happened with that? I think I remember Tia saying something to Ric about it, thinking he'd left it for them. Surely he's noticed they are hauling it around and has to have some suspicion of its origin. My point being, the mujeres are not poor and destitute even if Tio Tim didn't intend to provide for them. I guess their view is it should ALL be theirs.
 

Thanks for the quick recap, which helpfully summarized all the important moments.

I cannot believe that Ric and Camila have still not interacted. It's really getting annoying, as their romance should be the center of the telenovela, shouldn't it?

I was surprised that Ric is still going to be in the pirate business. I thought he retired after doing so well in Africa. You can't teach an old pirate new tricks???

And how is it that he didn't know that Lazaro (or whatever his name is) didn't buy Claudio. Didn't he say that Camila, Jimena, Claudio and his cousin should all be bought and sent to his mother's house (i think) to help out?

I got the AMOR REAL DVD from Netflix (thanks for the recommendation Susanlynn) and Wow!! I am looking forward to more Fernando love scenes.
 

Thanks for the quick recap Melinama. The plot lines are moving into place. I wonder about Claudio's adventure to see his mom. I hope he lives through it.

I think the fact that Lis and Tia Fran want Cami's money (in spite of their treasure chest gift) is to show how much they hate Cami in addition to their greed.

Anon 11:34 - Ric didn't know that Lazaro didn't buy Claudio and his brother is b/c Lazaro lied to Ric. He told Ric he bought the boys and he's been lying about them and other things as well. Ric has slowly been coming to a realization that Lazaro is not to be trusted.

Though Ric had intended to buy Jimena and Cami but they had been bought by others before he got to the auction.
 

Thanks for the quick recap Melinama.

I am disappointed in Ursula and her plan to marry Ric. I really want her to be with Vasco and I really don 't want her to play "Rico 's Pursuit".

Plus I am annoyed by the fact that in telenovelas everyone falls in love with the two main characters. I understand that vilains and rivals are supposed to make things worst but not to that extend. There is Liz, now Ursula (even though I am not sure that she is in love with him). Who is next?

Sophia from Greece
 

I want to apologize for my recap being bland. I was so. tired. last. night. could hardly stay awake to watch the show. As for Ursula falling for Ricardo: well, come on, wouldn't you?
 

Thanks Melinama, I was so tired myself, from too much merriment. It's nice to wake up and have a recap breakfast.

As a finance person, I'm still concerned with where's the money??!
With all the treachery and greed, they must have it stashed away safely. Do they make daily withdrawals for their needs, like an ATM? Do the trusted servants guard and haul it around for them? I guess it's like the bathroom issues, we know it has to be dealt with, but they're not talking about it...
jb--iron jack cash
 

I didn't think it was bland, but I missed the episode so it was all news to me.

Is Marcos=Mario?

I'm confused about the money too. It seems it's all just loose in a big trunk that's just exactly the right size for its contents, even though Cami gave Tim's relatives a big cut in a separate trunk.

I suppose it's possible they started out with two trunks to begin with and simply gave one to Lis and Tia, or transferred the remainder to a smaller trunk for easier transport, but it still struck me funny when Cami opened it up to make a withdrawal. Wouldn't you think the coins would at least have been packed into small bags of, say, 20 apiece for easier counting or something? But nooooo, that wouldn't have made for such a dazzling picture on TV.
 

Thanks, Melinama~~~~Ric is looking good in his fancy clothes and new hairdo. He's the only dude I've ever seen who can make an embroidered waistcoat look macho. [Remember Antonio's and Diego's embroidered finery in Alborada?...They looked like big fops, but Ric can definitely pull it off.] However, I must confess that I occaisionally daydream about Ric wearing Saintly's leather apron sweating over the old forge. Is it warm in here, or is it just me ??.....Where was I? The actress who plays Jorge's daughter must get cast as the moneygrubbing bad girl a lot. At least she is not using that annoying highpitched voice and phony French accent that she used in Amor Real. Anonymous~~So glad that you liked Amor Real. It's my second favorite telenovela...right after Alborada. I like the character and look of Fernando as Luis in Alborada, but Manuel's love scenes are steamy in Amor Real. I agree with the comment about the main characters STILL not being together. That is very odd. Thanks again, Melinama. ```Mad Bess recovering from a mad holiday
 

Uh-Oh...Saintly is not fulfilling his Marital Obligations.
 

jb/Iron Jack Cash - Ha I am the same way (I'm an accountant). I constantly feel real, genuine stress not knowing where the money is secured. Who is watching it? How can they keep throwing it around in little leather pouches without knowing what's what? Doesn't everyone know that when you go into a house, the money will be in whatever little cofre is sitting on a table, since that's where they get money from when they need it? How do they know how much they have when it's all in a box? Do they count it every day to make sure it's all there? Gah it drives me crazy. I know I'm not supposed to care about those details but still. I can suspend disbelief over certain things, but the money thing makes me nuts.

My two cents on the two main characters not being together yet - Thank God! If they had already gotten together, we'd be in for MONTHS of them arguing/breaking up/getting together. Have we all forgotten so quickly how aggravating our past couples have been with that? Diego/Azul, Alina/Emiliooo, from what I gather the two leads in Destilando Amor had that problem, even Luis and Hipolita in Alborada annoyingly kept finding every stupid reason they could think of to keep getting pissy at each other before making up later. I am hoping that this show will bring them together slowly and just once. How refreshing that would be. All the interesting turmoil can be handled by the side characters.

Yes Julie, Marcos=Mario. I will assume that the tiredness of the holiday gave Melinama a little forgetfulness with that. And you know how it is, once someone at a party calls you the wrong name and you don't correct them, you get called that name over and over. So she called him Marcos over a cup of eggnog, he didn't correct her, so he was Marcos after that. (yes I realize that he can't correct her from the TV, but whatever.)
 

Ferro~~~Interesting point about the name game. When I first met hubby, I kept calling him by his father's name . [His father was my school bus driver.] Cleverly, he started wearing a tieclip that had his name on it, and whenever I called him by his dad's name, he would just shake his head and point to his tieclip...Mike. he's an accountant, too. If I'm not mistaken, in Amor Real, Manuel was quite fastidious about his money. He kept it locked up in boxes and drawers and carefully counted it out into little piles when paying off Humberto, Matilde's mother, etc. In Alborada, Luis was more intuitive. I remember a scene where he was all dolled up walking out of the garden on his way to the Baptism and Perla came running up asking him for cash [to have Hippolita KIDNAPPED]. He took out a little bag of coins from his coat pocket, weighed it with his hand...then, took out another bag of coins and again weighed it in his hand and threw that one to Perla. Also, I seem to remember old Lisabeta taking out one of the coins from the cofre that magically appeared in her courtyard and giving it the bite test to see if it was real gold.
 

Okay, thanks for clearing up the name thing. I didn't see it, so I really wasn't sure. I didn't remember a Marcos, but he could have been any one of several guys whose name I still don't know yet.

I had an acquaintance named Debbie in college. One day, after I had known her for about a year, someone else came along and kept calling her Karen. I tried to be polite and didn't embarrass her by correcting her. After the girl left, I joked with Debbie about it. That's when she told me that indeed, her name was Karen. Not Debbie.

So I can definitely understand the names getting a little jumbled. :)
 

I would not fall for Ricardo. I would show some character... No that 's not true!

I hadn 't even thought about the money. Thank you for bringing it up!

Sophia
 

Melinama I always enjoy your recaps. For me, your presentation is never bland. Ferro 94, I agree with your view on not rushing the 2love birds getting together. Although this is only my third novela, it seems to me that telenovelas are not really love stories like you'd find in a romance novel. Novelas starts and ends romantically but all the fighting, misunderstanding and miscommunication in the months in between makes them anything tales of romance. Like Ferro94 said, let all that turmoil be handled by the side characters. PS: I also wish everyone didn't fall for the same 2characters.
 

oops, correction: " Novelas starts and ends romantically but all the fighting, misunderstanding and miscommunication in the intervening months, makes them anything BUT tales of romance".
Anon 12:26
 

How come Ric brought his aunt and cousin along on this Mexican adventure? His aunt looks pretty sturdy, but she’s not young, and of course the cousin is blind. He was hoping to keep them cooped up so Camila wouldn’t see them, (what kind of holiday is that?) but they went walking in the town square anyway and now the gossip is out there, so that didn’t work.

Did they lose their fancy house and don’t have anywhere to stay back home?

I thought the recap was great! And it sure cleared up a lot for me.
 

Melinama, Thanks once again for your recap. I agree that it was not bland. For instance, early on you begin a body count: two mules and one failed satyr! Hilarious!
I am also a former director of finance and can't stand the little chests of gold being strewn about so carelessly. Very messy, very messy. And I can understand Lisabeta not tracking her gold while she clutches her doll, but Fran should know better after putting up with the miserly brother Tim for years. Interesting lie they are both telling and Ric isn't quick to correct them about where their handsome sum of gold might have come from.
 

Oops, sorry about that Marcos thing, he was in some other novela...
 

so, I too enjoyed this recap and the confessions of you cpa-types...
I for one want to know whether we can substitute chopped liver for the white doves?
And, hey wasn't Jorge really smart when he decided that Ric could not possibly be the pirate nephew of dead Tim because hey, that isn't the right last name.
And, the more I see pictures of Willa, the more I am convinced that she belongs in the cast of Pasion.

cheers,

V.V. who lacks the imagination to find a pirate moniker but who believes that Ricardo looked totally guapollo with the bad do-rag staring into the ocean, riding whatever the hell you call those rope-dealies.
 

I wondered why Ric brought Lis and Fran with him too. If he didn't want Camila to recognize him bringing them along wasn't such a good idea. But then again Camila doesn't know that the pirate nephew that Tim told her about is Ric.
 

I was just reading Thursday's comments (I'm a tad bit behind because of the holidays) and couldnt' help but notice someone else's comparison of Santi and Ashley Wilkes which, BTW, I have thought from the git go. I don't care if he has two six packs - he is so unappealing with the constant crying.
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

Thanks, Melinama for a great recap, tired or not.

"TWO MULES" --I wonder if we'll be lucky enough to see this as relative foreshadowing of the regidor appearing on screen regularly. Completely aprapo to the grand occasion.....
========
Mad Bess/Susanlynn: ITA about Fernando. I was thinking that he can definitely wear shiny silk duds to perfection, even makes them glow, I'd say.

Thu Dec 27, 06:12:00 PM EST
 

oops! I meant "apropos"!
 

re telenovas being like romance novels: they are!! I took a course in romance writing and the formula is: girl and boy meet; one of them or both fall for the other: there is always something (some failing, misunderstanding, problem) that keeps them apart; they finally get together; then there is a "Black Moment" where it looks like they will be apart forever. Something happens to resolve the catastrophe and they get back together and live happily ever after. I watched some of LFMB abd a lot of DESTILANDO and some of AMAR SIN LIMITES and think they all fall into the above formula. (Also, the shortened version of AMOR REAL I saw on Netflix follows that formula --he falls, she doesn't then does; everything is more than hunky-dory, then he finds out that her former lover has been in their home and accuses her of being a liar and being pregnant by him, casts her out, has an affair with another woman (which probably wouldn't happen in a romance novel where the hero is supposed to be faithful); the truth comes out and they get back together --although many things happen after that. The romance novel would end with the couple getting back together.
 

Thanks for the recap.

Poor Saintly Santiago - altho I cannot abide all his weeping and gnashing of teeth....I do feel sorry for him. He's a good guy who let his family guide him into marrying evil Sister, who complains too much about not getting enough. Now he has to suffer the rest of his life -not fair.

I love Ric sans pirate get up. He looks great with the short hair and brocade/embroidered waist coat. And dimples...gawd,his dimples drive me loca!

I think Cami will soon regret telling bad Jorge that Tim's nephew was a pirate, but it's great for the plot.

I hope tonight is as interesting as the preview, and Ric and Cami have a conversation, not just an exchange of glances.
 

Melinama, thanks for the great recap! Couldn’t help but notice the cameo TWO MULES had. ☺ Bland? NOT.

“Lazaro (the same one he reamed out for borrowing a boat for a joyride) had bought the two kids on Ric's order. They surmise Lazaro just said he bought the kids and kept the dough for himself. "I'll quarter him!"” GOOD! That’s better than what Lazaro deserves.

“"He's not the same since she's back, we don't talk, he doesn't fulfill his Marital Obligations, how long must I tolerate this?" Ofelia suggests she should go talk to her sweet, reasonable sister Camila.” Hoo, boy, that’ll be one interesting conversation. Can you picture it? “Hey, sis, cut my hubby loose—you remember him, the guy I ripped off while you were in slavery? He’s stuck on you, so make him quit that, already.” Qué the heck is Ofelia thinking?

Susanlynn, you crack me up. All the time.

Ferro and Iron Jack Cash--you money guys are too funny, too. Who else would care so much about where the gold is? It's safe in some locked box, of course! ;-)

Julie-Captain Nickel Vane "I had an acquaintance named Debbie ...someone else came along and kept calling her Karen. ...the girl left, I joked with Debbie about it. That's when she told me that indeed, her name was Karen. Not Debbie." ROTFLLLL!!

Jeanne
 

I prefer Ric the Pirate to Ric the Dandy. Those lace, ruffles, and Jheri curls are giving me flashbacks to college... not good!
 

Julie - I was in college during the Prince and the Revolution era. I can relate. The eyeliner on the pirates also bring back those years for me!
 

LOL I won't be able to look at Ric the same without wanting to sing "purple rain, purple rain". LOL.
 

On looking more closely, it appears that he's not REALLY wearing lace and ruffles... not exactly... and the hair's not quite so drippy... still, he's definitely got a Prince thing goin' on.
 

V. V. - maybe Willa would make a good dog guide for Lisabeta? Or, maybe we could get Tonki the wonder dog from Duelo de Pasiones back for a dog guide stint. Never mind that the concept of dog guides for the blind didn't actually get established formally until the 1900s.

Jeanne
 

"Kissin' Cuzzins" - FYI, since we had a discussion around this in the Destilando group, I thought some might be interested in the added info on the topic over at Telenovela-world below.

http://foro.telenovela-world.com/n4/read-t.php?f=453&i=1457&t=1457#reply_1457
 

Cap'n Jeanne/Jenny Cash, The Willa a guide dog isn't a bad idea. A fact about her that I have never revealed is that she really likes biker guys in tight spandex (guys in sloppy jeans, not so much). When we are walking in the Bosque near the Rio Grande, I have to grab her collar, if she is off leash, to keep her from knocking them off their bikes in enthusiasm. She also loves horses and does a similar approach thinking they are just big puppies (she doesn't get to see the donkeys up close in our neighborhood). So Lisabeta might not get where she was intending to go with Willa leading her, but she'd find some hot dating material to take her mind off Ric!
 

Cheryl NM--ROTFL!!!! That's one smart puppy! She knows her stuff! I can only imagine how rich your life is with all the biker boys in spandex you get to meet, courtesy of Willa.

;-)

Jeanne
 

One wonders how Willa would feel about a blacksmith in a leather apron with sweat glistening.....

Jeanne
 

It's not just accountants (or finance persons, former same, etc) that worry about who is counting the beans. Some of the world's pennypinchers (me, etc) are unable to 'suspend belief' when lfmb's just-marrieds at the end have NO JOBS. They both turned the presidency over to marcia: que-the-__? So what do they do now for a living? No wonder people were calling for lfmb2/lfmbII - probably just wanted to know if they started up a business that a comptroller and an unstable pitchman could run so there'd be more tv comedy to watch -- it Would have been pretty funny. In the usa there'd be a where's-spock follow up type real movie rather than a 2d tv show to show you what happened to the couple ever-after.
It's always been a dangerous world - carrying dinero in a trunk or in your pocket is just asking to get clunked on the cabeza.
I liked lettie's father just because he sat there and counted the money every so often to make sure nobody was stealing it. (Too bad he was unable to spot the overspending.)
I realize I like to watch fantasy tv so I can spend an hour not worrying about the problem of keeping a roof-over, since few of the characters worry about that. (But one can't help but notice financial irresponsibility in the tv stories -- because in reality one spends one's life trying to just be lucky enough to break even, and when doing Without doesn't cut it anymore, one must move to a cheaper part of the country.)
I always wanted to use this Rex Stout phrase: it is the anthesis of rational progression [to drag your gold coins around in a trunk].
/mab
(I'm not a professional bean counter, just Cheap)
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder