Sunday, February 10, 2008

Mariana Karr's Restaurant Caray, Caray in Mexico City, Plaza del Carmen de San Angel



Fabulous Argentine and Italian style food at
Caray, Caray a Mexico City restaurant
founded by Mariana Karr and María Zarattini

Avenida de la Paz, #57, 2 piso.
Plaza del Carmen
San Angel, Mexico City

To Mariana Karr and all the Caray Caray Blog fans,
Here is the promised tale of my pilgrimage to find Mariana Karr's restaurant, Caray Caray, in Mexico City. I don't remember who first reported to the blog about reading of the restaurant's grand opening last September but I made myself a promise right then to search for this connection to Doña Mariana, the talented Argentine actress, whom I regard as our patron saint of this blog. Named for Mariana's famous lines often repeated in the wonderful telenovela, Alborada, "Caray Caray", both this blog and the restaurant have held a compelling lure for me since I learned about both in the late summer of 2007.

I watched the first episode of Alborada in February 2006 while attending Spanish School at Universidad Internacional in Cuernavaca, Mexico with the family I lived with. Later in the spring, Alborada started on Univision in the States and I watched avidly with friends in New Mexico for months and we eventually would look forward to counting how many times Mariana (in the character of Tia Isabel) could say Caray Caray. She was often the only person/character who had a clue about what was happening in this intricate plot. Her portrayal is of a character full of courage and clear insight in a world of deceit and intrigue in this 19th century story of Mexico produced by Carla Estrada and so ably directed by Monica Miguel. As a romping good tale of adventure with superb Mexican actors, it was my introduction to telenovelas as an entertaining medium and method for studying Spanish and even learning more about Mexican history and culture. Writer Maria Zarratini was the screenwriter for both Alborada and Pasión.

But back to this pilgrimage. After 4 weeks of Spanish studies at Uninter, I headed to Mexico City on a bus to indulge my lifelong addiction to museums, cathedrals and pyramids in the city I have loved since my student days in my first voyage of discovery out of the US in the mid 1960's. Saturday was a gift of blue skies in a city with formidable air problems while the gentle February sun energized me for the pursuit of the art treasures in the Museum of Modern Art. Armed with my new level of Spanish and hungry after my breakfast of huevos rancheros wore off, I fearlessly conquered the Metro system which is pleasantly clean, efficient and cheap. It is so easy to use I don't know why I hesitated using it the last two years. I guess the scary stories of dangers in Mexico City have worn off slowly. I think an alert, circumspect traveler is totally safe in the daytime visiting all the wonderful historical treasures and enjoying the delightful cuisine and shopping. The people are incredibly friendly. Sunday is especially congenial as a family day when the citizens want to enjoy the same beautiful sites that the tourists do.

I arrived in this prosperous neighborhood of Plaza del Carmen in southern Mexico City which hosts a Saturday market of arts and crafts and found Caray, Caray on the 2 piso (3rd floor to US folks). It is a tiny, pristine restaurant with simple yet elegant decor (well wouldn't you expect this petite, elegant woman to convey her personal style in every centimeter of the place?). The staff was warm and friendly, I took a few pictures and told the waiter about my quest to find the restaurant and a bit about the Caray, Caray Blog. Shortly after, the manager emerged who happens to be Mariana's daughter Sol. She asked more questions about the blog then she gave me the incredible news that Mariana would be at the restaurant on Sunday afternoon. If I could come back again, I could meet her. WOW! The food was delicious and so fresh. I chose the steak "Arrachera" figuring a true Argentine restaurant would know what to do with beef. Since I grew up in Wyoming I have, even in these anti-red-meat times, an occasional penchant for great beef. I have had arrachera before in Mexico and it is a great tasting thin piece of steak (the cut is flank steak in the US). But, come hungry, Caray, Caray's version is BIG, so very tender and flavorful. All I could fit in besides was a simple fresh salad of lettuce, tomato and onion. The menu tells that no preservatives are used and you can taste the truth of it's freshness.

Sunday was another blue sky day that I started the morning with a bus ride to the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe enjoying the gardens, all the antique churches and the throngs of happy pilgrims and visitors on a joyful day for families to enjoy these world famous treasures. In the afternoon I made my way on the Metrobus back to Plaza del Carmen and sat down again in Caray Caray wondering if Mariana Karr would indeed come. Her daughter and assorted family and friends were already there. Everyone was so friendly like the day before and greeted me so warmly. She appeared suddenly at my table. I was so overwhelmed by the sight of her especially the light streaming from her brilliant blue eyes, I was almost unable to remember any Spanish. Fortunately, I had my laptop with me so showed her some pictures as I explained about the Caray Caray blog with all her fans. Yes, I even showed her the Willa, the blog-famous poodle pictures in her pirate scarf posing as the long lost twin to Fernando Colunga's alter ego, Ricardo in Pasión. She laughed at that, but I was unable to connect to the wireless internet at the restaurant to give her a tour of CarayCaray. I gave her the website URL, http://caraycaray.blogspot.com which I hope she will access to see this story and hear from all of you in the comments.

But back to the important details of the second meal: this time I chose from the list of "La Verdadera Empanada Argentina". The humita, with corn and cheese (elote y queso) and the carne with the most delicately spiced ground beef. The pie-like crust characteristic of empanadas was so tender and did I mention how fresh and flavorful? Every bite melts in your mouth. Oh, and the real Italian capuchino was the living end after a month of disappointing, tepid Nescafe instant coffee in too many places in Mexico.

If (when) you go, here's how to get there:
Directions using the Metro: From whatever point you enter the Metro get to Line 3 (Indios Verdes to Universidad) go south toward Universidad to the San Angel colonia to the stop Viveros or Miguel Angel de Quevedo. When you come out of the metro look for a taxi to Avenida de la Paz #57, 2 piso, Plaza del Carmen. The metro is 2 pesos and the taxi will be about 35 to 50 pesos.

Directions using the Metrobus on Avenida Insurgentes: This brings you closest to the restaurant. Put in about 12 to 20 pesos, depending on your entry point, the machine which does not give change, you get a plastic reusable card which then needs to be activated in this machine then scanned at the turnstile. Friendly guards and fellow travelers will help till you get the hang of it. Take the bus headed south toward Dr. Galvez but get off one stop early at La Bombilla. When you exit you will be on Av. Insurgentes looking south, at the first corner see Av. de la Paz., cross to your left and walk left uphill about one block to #57 on the left. The elevator or stairs will take you up to Caray Caray.
Later at night or if you don't feel confident with Spanish, taking a taxi may be best. From the Zona Rosa area this will cost at least 150 to 200 pesos each way.

The food at Caray Caray was the best I had in all of Mexico. What a fabulous, unexpected delight to meet this warm, personable lady and what a privilege to tell her about this blog and all the friends she has here. Thanks Mariana for a memorable day.
Hasta luego amigas y amigos,
CherylNewMex or
CherylMarParaNMex
and Pirate Lass Willa
aka Pirate Ricardo's lost twin

Labels: , ,


Comments:
CherylMarParaNMex -

Thanks so much for sharing your adventure and I for one would welcome any future experiences you would be willing to share!

My husband and I spent 8 days in Mexico City (with a side trip to Teotihuacan) in January and I loved, loved, loved the city! We took the metro several times along with many cab rides, adventures in themselves with the crazy traffic of the city and my limited spanish. I was never afraid there and I hope you and others are willing to share your happy experiences so that others won't be afraid to visit that amazing city of culture and history!

I'm fascinated by your language study, and as I said, welcome any future experience you might share!

Special kudos on your Mariana Karr experience! Her eyes are mesmerizing on screen, I can only imagine how they are in person.
 

Oh, Cheryl, your recap of the thrilling pilgrimage to ¡Caray, Caray! is fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing the details. I have to go eat now or I'll die after that detailed description of the dishes! I fear my fare will fall short, though.

:-)

Jeanne
 

Cheryl, this was so nice to read about. I hope she or her daughter will try to find us, even if she has to post in Spanish. Many of us obviously will understand and be able to translate it for the others and to reply. That would be soooo exciting!!

Did she have any idea at all that she had an American following --I mean, besides finding out about the blog?

¡Qué emoción!
 

Cheryl, what a fantastic story! I'm thrilled to hear that Mariana and her family were so gracious to you. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I never made the connection that her partner Maria Zarratini was a writer for Alborada.

I have always wondered if Mariana Karr would ever know about her following here in the U.S. Now, thanks to you, she does!
 

Thanks for the positive support, you blogmasters are terrific. I have just corrected the note about Maria Zarratini. She not only wrote Alborada, she also wrote Pasión! So I think the foursome of Mariana Karr, Maria Zarratini, Carla Estrada and Monica Miguel must make a powerful magnetic force when they are all together. Look out Bermuda Triangle.

It was so fun to do this and I want to contact Rick Bayless at PBS to see if he can take some notice of Caray, Caray too, I know he visits restaurants on his show. I would love to see this little gem get the attention from a cooking program.
 

Thank you so much for sharing your adventure, Cheryl. I feel like I was there with you. My friend is a high school Spanish teacher who tries to go to Mexico every summer to keep up her Spanish. She often goes with another teacher to a resort she likes a lot, but one year she went to Mexico City by herself. Like you, she was a little apprehensive, but everything was fine. I am going to wite down the address and give it to her. Perhaps, she'll visit CarayCaray on her next trip. Thanks again for sharing your story .
 

Hey Cheryl -- Maria Zarratini also did the adaptations of novels for both Amor Real and Corazon Salvaje, which is (IMO) the best of the Televisa historical telenovelas (even though it wasn't produced by Carla Estrada).

And you might want to add Jorge Avendano to your list. He did the theme music for both Pasion and Alborada and many other telenovelas, including Corazon Salvaje I think.
 

Thanks for sharing this, Cheryl! On top of everything else, the details about the empanadas made me drool. And considering that it's after 1 in the morning, that's saying something. :)
 

Cheryl: Wow - you are definitely devoted and a true pilgrim. I will save this page in the event I ever get to Mexico City. I've learned to never say never. Thanks for sharing this with us.

From lower Ala
 

Thank you Cheryl. Wonderful experience written by a wonderful story teller.
To read that all four of those women are connected in this quilt helps me understand why I have enjoyed selected telenovelas. They create artworks.
 

Awesome Cheryl, thanks. You have broken the 4th wall and actually made contact with one of the people involved in the shows we watch, nice work. I hope Mariana checks out the site.
 

Cheryl!! What a nice, descriptive account! Thank you for telling us all about it! How exciting to meet Mariana Karr!

Now you have gone and made me hungry!!!! :)
 

Anonymous, have you ever seen the DVD of Corazon Salvaje? I have always wondered if it's worth seeing or if it's been edited/hacked beyond all enjoyment.
 

I'd like to know about the Corazon Salvaje DVD too. I wish there was the option of seeing the original shows in their entirety (sans commercials and repeated scenes of course). I don't know who makes the decision to chop them so badly and I know in the case of Alborada, they reordered scenes and left out many really charming moments that added depth to the story.

And, thanks Anon at 12:13 for the added information on Maria Zarratini and Jorge Avendano's super accomplishments. It is always a pleasure to find out more about these talented people.
 

there was a long discussion about full length (pirate) DVDs versus the shortened (official/legal) ones the other day. The full length ones are widely available on the internet but the quality is not guaranteed, depending on how it was recorded. I only imagine the official ones get chopped down so that they can sell more, as a full length presentation would cost $100. I suppose we prefer the long version, but more casual viewers don't want to make that kind of investment.
 

Cheryl, I LOVED your post about Caray, Caray. I'll be sending the link to several telenovela lovers in my advanced Spanish class.

You also gave me inspiration to visit D.F. In October I visited Guanajuato (for the Cervantes festival), Zacatecas, Patzcuaro, and San Miguel de Allende. Had a wonderful time, busing between cities and able to communicate quite well everywhere. But I have been afraid to visit the capitol alone, even though I know it has fabulous museums and restaurants, just the sorts of things I enjoy most when traveling. I met some people from D.F. (charming people) on a tour of a silver mine in Zacatecas, and they also hastened to assure me that, if I exercised a bit of caution, I'd be safe there. But I took that with a grain of salt since they were a long married couple who probably hadn't traveled alone in 30 years! But you have raised my enthusiasm about going alone!
 

Novelera - The subway has cars reserved for women and children only. The Turibus is always an option for traveling to the museums and I saw many single women riding them. The police presence was so large that one night, after dark, I felt safe shopping alone because my husband had to take care of unexpected work. I realize having a large man by my side most of the time is different than traveling alone, but as Cheryl pointed out, if you take prudent precautions and pay attention you should be fine. No different than any large city here in the U.S. I think it would be a shame for fear to keep anyone away!
 

Cap'n Sylvia Sharkbait -- I have not seen Corazon Salvaje on DVD. I saw it when it was originally released (in 1993 I think). It was one of the first telenovelas I ever watched, when I was just starting to learn Spanish, and it made a HUGE impression on me. The theme song still runs through my head at times (sung by Manuel Mijaras, Lucero's husband, who everyone blames for the lack of passionate love scenes in Alborada). I have thought of trying to get a DVD of Corazon Salvaje, but I know the "official" version of it would be edited so badly that it wouldn't be worth the effort. I haven't taken the time to research whether there is a way to get an unedited version, but I would like to get one. If anyone finds a way, please let us know. To this day there is still a forum devoted to this show on Telenovela-World, which shows you what an impact it had. Of course there was the added impact that the actor playing Juan de Diablo, Eduardo Palomo, died of a massive heart attack in a Los Angeles restaurant a few years ago. What a tragedy! I haven't taken the time to look, but maybe that forum has a source for an unedited version of Corazon Salvaje. If you like historical dramas, it's certainly worth the price. I have a feeling that without its extreme popularity other historical telenovelas (AR, A and P) might never have been made.
 

Cheryl-you are AMAZING and SO sweet to share your adventures with all of us!

Apart from the Great food there, did she talk about her acting adventures in her various "Teles"? Are there any pictures of her with other actors and do they come to eat there as well??

I just can't Believe that one of us got to sit down and talk in person with her! That is SO Awesome! Great Going!
Again Thanks for sharing your journey!
 

Thank you so much for sharing your adventure story and the restaurant review and photos with us.

It's nice to hear my post here on the blog was the inspiration for your exciting journey.

Congrats again on meeting Mariana Karr and her daughter and family.

J.R. :)
 

Gracias mil veces, JR, I did discover that it was you who wrote the news to us on the blog when Caray Caray opened. I just came across it this weekend so Thanks!! It in fact is easier to get to your posting on Google, I can't get to my story yet on Google but will keep trying since one can teach it in a way since it lists sources by order of hits although I know some businesses pay to have their sites come up near the beginning of a page.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder