Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Yo Amo A Juan, Tuesday 4/15: Juan will pay with credit, like all good businessmen and Heriberto has a lot of potential

Juan and Paula are arguing in his office about how to choose candidates for Vice President of Administration. He confidently states that he has a perfect candidate in mind, Ferndando Lara. Paula is incredulous and wants to know on what basis Juan would choose Fernando. The decision doesn't feel right to her.

Juan's phone rings and Laura is calling to confirm their date. Juan makes a point of letting Paula overhear that it's a lady friend and the purpose of the call is not business. Paula's eyes widen in anger like she is temporarily possessed, but she regains her composure. When Juan finishes with his call, she tells him she can't continue further with their discussion right now. She walks out and Juan grins to himself that she must still care about him.

But the discussion isn't over! Juan opens his office door and calls after her in front of everyone in the office lobby that they're not finished, he needs to talk to her. She tells him to make an appointment with her secretary. He persists. She asks, about what? He answers: how much you want for the Cachon's house. Paula is disgusted, Yvonne shocked, Marely mortified.

Delirio is taking care of his Nidia, promising her that things will get better in the future.

Paula is not going to sell the house. Juan tells her that the Cachons are dear to him and he doesn't want to see them on the street. He accuses her of vengence. She calls it justice. Marely is trying to shush Paula and end the public conversation.

Willy continues to try to make inroads with Ana, telling her what he can do for her career. She is reluctant and a little uncomfortable.

At the schoolyard, Juanito's bullies are at it again. Juanito is seated holding his sandwich in the air and the bully ringleader tries to knock it out of his hand, but misses. There is talk of settling the score, fighting, who is chicken. Juanito says he is not scared. In a classic scene, the three little guys shimmy away doing a choregraphed chicken dance. The teacher steps out into the yard just then, trying to get a read on the scene.

Kike is looking for a new place to live -- not in Acapulco, but in DF! -- that would also be good for the in-laws. Nidia is like a second mom to him.

Fern asks Juan about his plans to buy the Cachon's house. Juan fills him in on the will and Fern understands why Marely has been upset recently? And how is Juan going to pay for the house? With credit, like all businessmen do!

Ivonne and the gals in the lobby are trying to make sense of situation with Paula and the Cachon's house. One thing that Yvonne knows for sure and helpfully shares: Paula is the daughter of the late Samuel Cachon! Que?!?

Pastor Gaitan is meeting with Paula to make his case about why he would make an excellent Vice President of administration. He goes on at length about his excellent qualities, she is less than impressed.

Juanito's teacher is called out of his class for an urgent call.

Pastor continues to plead his case to Paula, who almost rolls her eyes.

Don Lorenzo realizes his "urgent" call is from Juan Domingues asking him to take Juanito by the house to pick up a book. Don Lorenzo gives Juan an earful about interrupting his class.

Paula tells Pastor that he already has an important position and does a good job with it. Pastor wants to know why they didn't think of him as a candidate. He jokes with Puala, but wants to be considered. She's not promising him anything.

Juan apologizes for pulling Don Lorenzo away from his class. Don L agrees to look after Juanito, no problem. As he tries to leave, Nachito barges into the school office looking for the director of the school.

Yadi comes home, her Nacho's not there. She settles down on the couch and finds on of her daughter's toys under a pillow and is sad.

Nacho makes his case to the school boss.

Paula and Marely talk about how Juan and Paula are fighting. Marely advises her to calm down. Paula tells her about Gaytan's positioning for the VP of Administration job. They have an important job to do to find the right candidate, Paula wants Marely to be in charge of the candidate search.

Nachito comes out of the school director's office with a momentary leer for the secretary. He got the job, so he and the director do some back slapping.

At the close of school, the little wolves are gathering in anticipation of their fight with Juanito. But Don Lorenzo keeps the two sidekicks after school. Juanito is ready for whatever's next, but the lead bully is starting to look a little nervous.

Juan tells Fern about his "conversation" with Paula about the VP of Admin. About all of Fern's good qualities. And what happened? Fern is dying to know the outcome. Juan tells him that Paula wants to look at other candidates. Fern tells Juan that Juan and Paula are just trying to show each other who has more power at Farrell. Juan tells Fern he has to show Paula that he's better than any other candidate. But now Juan has a date with a classy lady who's waiting for him at her apartment...

Juanito and his former bully classmate approach the park. Juanito is a lot more ready to fight. He accuses the bully of being afraid to fight one-on-one without his sidekicks. At first the bully shies away, but then pulls down Juanito and puts him in a headlock. They tussle and Juanito wins.

Yvonne is taking pain pills and Heriberto makes his triumpant entrance looking at her and looking for Juan. Just then Juan burst out of his office and hurriedly talks to Heri, then dashes to join Paula and Marely in the elavator. Heri exits stage left.

Juan is eating and gloating in the elevator and it's a tense ride down. Paula wants to know why he's so aggitated. Marely invites him to lunch with them, but he has important plans. Paula gripes about how it's now necessary to make an appointment in advance.

Pastor approaches Yvonne to inquire after Heri, a young man with so much potential. Yvonne tells him Heri went thataway.

Juanito's teacher approaches the victorious Juanito and asks him what he's up to. Oh, nothing.

Yadi's fuming as Nacho comes home. Where were you? She interrogates him. He tells her the good news... that he got a new gig. Not in a university. In a school. Yadi explodes at him.

Juanito takes his teacher on a hike up to a bluff that overlooks the surrounding nieghborhood. The teacher asks that's so special about this place.

Willy tries to ask Ana out to eat, to celebrate. She is reluctant and tells him that she has not been out to dinner with a man in a long time. He asks if she still misses Samuel. Yes, of course.
Juanito tells the teacher his story about what happened at the outdoor spot.

Marely and Paula confer over lunch.

Juan is excited as he drives to his lunch date.

Laura is waiting for him and is beyone thrilled to see him.

Later, Marely and Paula are speculating about where Juan could be, since he's not back at the office. Paula has a lot to talk to him about.

Juanito's teacher compares the brushy spot on the bluff to a labyrinth, and starts in on a talk about ancient Greece. Juanito sees a little girl walking on the hillside nearby. There she is!

Juan is happy at the reception he's getting at Laura's. He taps his black boots together in anticipation of what the afternoon holds in store for him.


*Note: Any similarity to real events is purely coincidental.

Labels:


Comments:
I like the "Nachito" tag, Susana. He certainly IS a little man, scheming to take away Profesor Pomposo's job (does this mean Pomposo will end up at Farrel after all?)as well has having broken up (however dysfunctional) the family of Yadira, Kike and little Nidia Michaela.
Of course it takes two to tango in that situation, and presumeably this extramarital doomed-to-fail fling is so Yadira can finally realize the error of her ways and grow up.
I find myself wondering what kind of princely salary Herbierto is pulling down in the catacombs...three new suits, complete with shirts, ties, and who knows, perhaps underwear?
The latest suit at least was a decorous dark color...maybe Pastor is instilling some fashion sense off camera.
Thanks for a clear, lucid, to-the-point recap partner. Will keep you posted on grandbaby news. So far "nada".
 

PS Dear Dorado Dave, I just got to Cheryl's recap and found the closed caption experiment was a "no go" for you.
Let me suggest one more approach. We have an old TV and a weary remote but I CAN get the closed captions to come on manually.
Underneath the screen is a little lid that flips up and there are outlets for video 2 hookups (what the heck is that?!) plus manual volume control and manual channel changing.
BUT there is also a little button called "menu" and when I push it I get a list of 4 things, including "picture" and "caption vision". I push the down button to get on caption vision, then the right button to where it says "off", push a down button again to put it "on", then press the menu button once more to enter the command.
And voila! I have closed captions in Spanish, and a darned good thing too because every time I get nonchalant and think I'm really understanding a lot, I get a portion (previews) without closed captioning and realize how much I'm missing.
Hope this works for you. As I said, our TV is old, but not hopelessly so (kind of like us)
 

Thanks, Susana, for the great, speedy recap!

There you go folks. Juan is suggesting Fern for VP and for once, this demonstrates some business acumen. I think Fern would actually be a very good one.

OTOH, declaring that he’ll buy the Cachon house is definitely not thinking with business acumen. It is, however, the sign of a true friend. I agree with JudyB’s comment last night (the last one on) that there’s something wrong with Paula having a home and an apartment and throwing her own sister out of her home. That was the one thing Samuel left to Nidia. Granted, Nidia may not deserve the home after what she’s done, but Paula’s half-sister surely does as she was innocent in all this. This is too much vengeance.

It’s impressive that Ivonne, the gossip Queen, has kept the secret of Paula’s birth for all this time at the office. It proves she can keep her mouth shut if she wants to. I didn’t realize the whole world wasn’t aware of this fact.

If they fire Lorenzo and hire Nacho at Juanito’s school, there will be grief several places. I seriously doubt Nacho has what it takes to teach little children. He can’t even effectively work with “big children.” But, as JudyB suggests, it might give Lorenzo the push he needs to go be a VP for Farell. Who knows, that could be good.

“At first the bully shies away, but then pulls down Juanito and puts him in a headlock. They tussle and Juanito wins.” This bully and his sidekick thuglets remind me of that Malvoy kid from the Harry Potter series. He was always at a loss when Crabbe and Goyle weren’t at his side. Wonder if he’ll bother Juanito again?

“Heri, a young man with so much potential” Potential what? Potential mayhem? Potential outright disaster?

Jeanne
 

thanks for the quick reap, Susana. how do you recappers do it? i missed a lot in the opening scenes (working in the shop). Juan offering to buy the house!? And greedy Paula only digging herself in deeper with a flat refusal. she is a real piece of work. Why would Marely still even talk to her, let alone have a friendly lunch? Wondering what this affliction of Ivonne is all about- my theory is that Heriberto is somehow going to come to her rescue, and throw aside his hayseed bawdiness, and they'll end up together. I can confidently predict that Pastor's efforts are wasted... Thanks, Judyb, for another suggestion for closed captioning. I checked my tv (it's one of those odd ones with a built-in vcr), and didn't see any trap doors or swithces. I fear that I am doomed. dorado dave
 

Hmmm...built in VCR...I have one of those upstairs. It does have a remote that on the bottom half, right side, underneath the tracking adjustment buttons, third button down is a TV/cap text button. Check and see if you have anything like that on your remote. If I press it once, I get captions but they are delayed. You think nothing is happening and after a few moments, captions do appear. If I press it twice, I think I get Spanish subtitles for some sports events broadcast in English!!!
Well, keep trying...and "Suerte!"
 

Thanks for reading, all! I'll put in my plug for closed captioning, if you can find a way to get it. I found it to be really helpful with getting more of an understanding of Spanish. Good luck!
 

Thank you once again for the recap!

I have a question about cc. Ever since I found how to turn it on I watch Juan with the cc. Do you think that this a helpful tool? I know that I understand alot more. But do you think you stop listening and rely only on reading? My teacher would say how good it is to tune your ear into spanish. I also listen to latin music. After the 50th time listening to a song it finally clicks for me. No joke.

Any thoughts?
 

For me, no, I don't think you stop listening when you used closed captions. But in order to "hear" Spanish, you have to have the vocabulary, and getting the vocab takes time and closed captioning helps.
When I first started watching Spanish TV I had no language, but right away I understood President Bush and "casa blanca"...duh, cause those were words I know. And next I started understanding the ads, because they were simple and repetitive.
You can't train your ear if you're clueless to what they're saying. If you want to experiment though, Robyn, watch once with closed captioning, record it as you watch, and then view and listen to it a second time without the captioning. I have even tried this listening with my eyes closed and my comprehension does seem better then.
Another option is what NinaK does on Guapos. On the night she recaps, she uses the captions. The other nights, she tries to go without.
But again, a certain level of vocabulary and grammar comprehension is necessary to really get it, no matter how good your "ear" is.
 

I had closed captioning on for maybe six months last year and found it to be helpful in connecting written words to what was being spoken. Since it can easier for me to figure out written text, that helped a lot.

But one problem I had was the quality of the cc in my area really varied. Sometimes it is word for word what is being said on the program. But other times the cc was just little fragments of words that didn't make any sense. I turned off the cc some months back to try to challenge myself to understand what's said. I think that can be helpful, too, after a run w/cc. :)

Another thing I find helpful is to watch the news in Spanish and listen to the radio.
 

Hi Susana, thank you for the wonderful recap. I loved how Maestro Lorenzo deliberately held back the two "little wolves" to give Juanito a fighting chance. He's a better teacher than "Nachito" will ever be.

I was surprised that Nacho had the nerve to suggest he replace an existing teacher, and shocked at the director for agreeing to it! I hope the kiddies will eat him alive...and I think they will. I agree, this is probably some sort of setup for Lorenzo to end up at Farell.

Re: watching vs. listening, I have nothing to add to the excellent suggestions, however like Susana I also try to immerse myself in Spanish radio (some are easier than others) and news.

JudyB, DO keep us posted on the grandbaby schedule!
 

Boy that Laura...I hope Juan doesn't indulge her. I am not a fan of hers. I appreciate that Pau doesn't deserve him right now, but Laura menos.

Anyway, I'll say this about CC. I learned Spanish only from watching telenovelas for the last nine years and interacting with friends and family, traveling etc. Last fall Jeanne clued me in to the FCC reg that I simply must have them if my TV came after '93. I wasn't sure that it was new enough, but I strengthened my search for how to turn them on, and low and behold, I figured it out from the menu on the set.

A completely new world opened up for me by being able to read what I was hearing, and I began to finally learn more proper sentence construction and verb conjugation, and my recapping time diminshed from 6 hours somedays to only 3.

If your Spanish grammar is superb (ie you were taught in school) then listening and deciphering is probably more useful to you, but if you have never learned grammar construction then reading is pinnacle.

My Univision captions are erratic as well or just plain wrong(I thought it was a reception issue but it looks like others have the same problem) so even if I have them on all the time, I am still getting practice recognizing the sounds of the words.

Thanks for the recap Susana!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder