Monday, May 26, 2008

Fuego 5/26: a lot of skinny-dipping and Gramps suggests the new beaux deserve the firing squad.

"I've told you many times," they often say. WE KNOW. So, gentle readers, if you want "detail," ie all the repetitions, just read the recap three or four times.

Watching the meet-the-future-husbands lunch party, Oscar longs to break the knuckles of Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee. He fears losing Ximena's fine dowry (including his future title, Lordship of the Manor). Juan (in a very good humor after his dreamy chat with Sofia) and Franco (in a very good humor after his nekkid swim with Rosario) tease him. Juan: "Are you really in love with Ximena? Let's make a comparison: in this hand, a bag full of gold and diamonds. In the other (indicating curvaceous babe) Ximena. Which do you choose?" "Well, both!" Franco reminds Juan that Sofia's married to Furd, Juan points out Furd is on a business trip, Franco wonders how that can be since Furd never works. Oscar says Furd's work is to lick his mother-in-law's boots. "I wonder what he did before he married Sofia." Oscar will periodically be mocked through the episode for losing his chance to jump on the Elizondo gravy train.

They wonder about how "Cristina" or "Quintana" (the subtitles call her both) is doing back at the bakery. Long story short, this is how: she squirts a lot of lighter fluid into the oven, drops in a match, there's an explosion and a big fire, but since happy music is playing you know this is just comic relief and her sister Hortensia and family put it out. Quintana's face is all blackened by the blast, isn't that funny? Hah hah. "You don't even know how to turn on an oven, no wonder you never married." "Well, you've lit a lot of ovens but no man ever stayed at your side." Hortensia's recent guy Tobias has split, but her son Rigo has returned (he hugs her).

Through the telescope Gramps sees the "Beatas Mojigatas" (excessively devout prudes) arriving for the party: Maria and Maria, friends of Gabriela's who have made new clothes for all the saint-statues at church. Gramps dresses as the devil and flirts with the wet-cat Marias and generally irks his daughter Gabriela mercilessly. Sofia reminds him of Gab's "delicate health," he says "don't be deceived by appearances, she's lying, and she's trying to get rid of me, she'll send me to the asylum."

Father Bouffy suggests they go see the new cabana and greet the bricklayers. Gabriela is shocked that he knows them. He says everybody is part of his flock. He reminds her that Juan won a lot of money for the church during the fair.

Jimena and Sarita flirt with the Tweedles intentionally, watching the Reyes Bros. crack their knuckles in anguish...

Sofia tells the Padre she is so much calmer when Furd is gone. She (again) says she's worried her ma is marrying off the sisters without love. Gabriela butts in: "Padre, I hope you're reminding her that marriage is sacred and cannot be dissolved... one must please one's mate and provide children." Father Bouffy says there are exceptions, times when the bond should be dissolved. "Never! Take me, I always put the commandments before my best interests, of course I'm human and I failed at times -- but very few times, so why did tragedy befall me? I was the best of wives to Bernardo (Gramps coughs skeptically) and he betrayed me but I pray for him every night, now that's the comportment of a good wife."

All go off to ogle the bricklayers, uh, to inspect the cabana - Gabriela dallies a bit to knock back a bit more booze. The Marias (drunk) drool over the Reyes Bros. The Padre suggests he'd like to see the Reyes Bros. in church.

Gabriela (drunk) arrives and barks, "Put your shirts on." "We're workers, this is how we work, clothes get in our way." Oscar still has his shirt on, Ximena (drunk) chants that he should take it off and he's doing so when odd editing has the scene come to an abrupt end.

Rosario at the Bad Love Bar: again praying, wondering where her son is. Furd's goons tell her they know but can't tell - unless she puts out... she throws them out of her dressing room and heads for church.

Eva stands up for Sofia, Gab barks: "Shut up, you know nothing of being a mother, you're a bad mother!" Eva runs out and runs into the Padre, saying she can't take any more, he says he'll talk to her in church later.

The Tweedles, observing that Ximena is passed out on her bed, say goodbye thanks for the party. Gabriela oozes a goodbye, Sofia asks how she feels. "How you want expect me to feel if the arguments don't stop!?"

The Tweedles have made it to their car, nervously eyeing the Reyes' approach. Oscar, choking a Tweedle, queries: "Which of you is going to marry Ximena?" "We don't have to talk to guys of your class. Neither of us is marrying her." "Well, which of you does Gabriela plan to have marry Ximena?" The boys seem very surprised that Gabriela has any such designs.

Juan says: "Sofia, get your stuff and we'll leave." "No, I can't leave my mom when she needs me most, I'd be unhappy for the rest of my life. "OK, but know you'll always be protected at my side."

In church, Rosario is praying aloud as Eva eavesdrops: "Holy mother, I made lots of mistakes, I'm desperate, but I'm not a bad person, I have nobody but you, AS YOU KNOW I never knew my own mother, she abandoned me when I was little..." Eva approaches, muy impactada ... she'd like to reveal ... but Rosario leaves. "Could she be mine?"

Nice horse-riding scene! Franco and Juan gallup up, meeting Oscar, who's on foot, now somehow he got ahead of them without having either a horse or a truck. ¿Como asi? All three strip and jump into the water, having first guessed that Franco is smirking cause he went swimming nekkid with Rosario in this very spot. All their nekkid bums are artfully blurred by digital magic. Sarita, after dreaming about Franco vs. a Tweedle, gets on her horse and rides directly to this very place; she hides behind a stone and watches the guys playing in the water.

Ximena wakes up, still drunk, sings in her room, Gabriela locks her in and then goes to have a repeat conversation with her dad (who is writing about how the prudes were drooling over the bricklayers). You want to kill me, dad, like you killed ma, no I didn't do it yes you did, it's your fault, no it's your fault, you assassinated mother, no you did. Gabriela says we won't fight, soon I'll bring you a very disagreeable surprise to pay you back for everything. He cries.

Eva tells her sob story to the padre and says she thinks she's found her daughter -- when she's sure about it, he'll be the first to know. Meanwhile Rosario tells her dresser how oddly Eva was treating her in church, "She looked at me like a mother with her daughter!"

Knock on Gabriela's door - she swigs more wine and gets in bed. It's Sofia: "Do you feel better?" "I feel worse, your sister is drunk, my father fought with me, everybody wants to kill me, Ximena chanted ribald suggestions to the workers in front of the Tweedles, so just go away!"

The Tweedles wonder if Gab really wants them to marry the sisters. "You know this will never be!"

Sofia gets Gramps to promise good behavior towards Ma and asks what he thinks of the Tweedles. "As far as I'm concerned, they could go up in front of a firing squad, I like the bricklayers much better."

Father Bouffy finishes with Eva, then remembers Furd's confession of rape and worries that he hasn't gotten a response to his letter (to the higher-ups I guess) recommending the anullment of Sofia and Furd's marriage. "Furd has to leave the hacienda as soon as possible, Sofia is in grave danger."

And there he is, fresh back from his business trip - Furd! He snatches Sofia, she recoils in disgust. He points out to her: "You recoiled in disgust." She says it wasn't disgust, just surprise. He goes and tattles to Mommy: "Sofia recoiled in disgust." Mommy: "Don't worry, things are going to be going your way very soon."

Eva asks Gramps, "Are you sure? This is going to complicate our lives." "Go to the village and find out." Ooh a mystery!

The Reyes, post-skinny-dip, ask Oscar if he'd really marry Ximena. "Why not? And after the wedding Gabriela would pardon us and I'd be lord of the hacienda!" Juan says Sofia turned him down. He's having a hard time believing in Gab's illness. They wonder if Eva is guilty of Libia's death. "What if it was an accident, what if nobody is to blame, then what do we do?"

Juan: "It's time for you to know who we really are. We were rich folk, our parents had lots of money, but they lost it all, it was probably taken away from them wrongly, that's why they were killed."

Tomorrow: Juan says it's time for the boys to get back what's rightfully theirs, the Reyes Oaks Hacienda. Gabriela insists Sofia go back to sleeping with Furd. Rosario tells Furd if he hurts her son she will reveal all to the Elizondos.

Labels:


Comments:
Hee hee.... scenes of 40 year old men swimming nekkid and another shot of those white chonis.

At least we were spared the split screen bread eating tonight.
 

Thanks for the recap Melinama. As someone else mentioned, the repetition does help those of us who are learning Spanish (though I am sorry its tiresome to those who know the language).

Sarita sure got over the shock of seeing the "boys" naked quickly. Guess that fire is in her blood (ha).
 

Wet cat Marias...How true. Thanks for the recap. The nekkid swimmers, OMG, what artwork, it was art not a blantent attempt to gather ratings. I loved that even though it was digitized the boys had serious tan lines which I can totally understand, But being that these are rancher boys, when were they wearing shorts that they got those tan lines?
 

Melinama: Thanks for the recap.

The characters keep changing character. There is no continuity in their behavior - except for Ferd. Actually, I'm talking about the main character - Juan. He's a fun-loving breadmaker one day, a soppy lovelorn oaf another day, a goofy teenager - or trying to be - "boy" another, and now at the end of this episode, he's on the road to becoming the sword of vengeance.

Surely these actors must feel stupid trying to act like jovenes. There are so many serious sub-plots going on, but, unfortunately the middle-aged teenagers turn it into a comedy. So, are we to believe that these guys go skinny dipping every day after work.

The fire in the panaderia was a big deal - but the bros never show any reaction to it, because they don't know about it. I'll sit at the edge of my chair waiting to see what happens tonight.

From lower Ala
 

Thanks for the recap, Melinama. :-)

Juan and Sofía's scene was so adorable when Juan laid his head on Sofía's knee. Those two are a solid couple, even though all their moments are stolen.

I could feel Sofía's relief when Juan reassured her that she'd always be safe as long as he was around. Sofía sure needs Juan's steady love and security.
 

This episode was hilarious. I was practically howling when the Reyes's 'cook' stuck her whole body in the oven and then proceeded to pour the ENTIRE gallon of lighter fluid over the racks. I also laughed when Gabby walked in on Eva and Sofia and told Eva that she is a bad mother and that's why she had her baby taken away from her...and when Gabby was painting in her room and Sofia knocked and she didn't let her come in until she was dramatically lying on the bed covered up.
 

what an episode- lots of stuff seemingly throw in-the swimmin hole, the bakery on fire, the tea party and aftermath, Feonando's return...ooh, and a triple-split screen with Sarita, Oscar, and Tweedle! Tho I'm not a romantic, I do really enjoy the scenes with just Juan and Sofia, they make a great couple, and are believable together, not near as cardboard as the rest of the cast, but i think that the writers actually put some thought into those scenes. Jeri said it very well...Didn't Rosario ask the thugs what she could do for them to divulge hijo's wherabouts, then slap them around for responding the way that you'd expect? What did she expect them to say- "some chocolate chip cookies would be nice"?!? Sheesh...Now that feo is back from his vacaton, things will start to happen, Grams to the asylum, more conflict with Sofia, no doubt he'll check in on Rosario, and will he off Padre, too. Surely he won't wait for the bishop to disolve his union with Sofia before whacking him. And when is he going to consumate with Crabi? A new vengange plan for the Reyes bros. (What does Juan know about their parents' misfotune and deaths, how does he know it, and why did he wait til now to inform the younguns?) Anyway, lots to happen, and I'll bet it picks up fast
 

Thanks for switching with me, Melinama.

There's nothing sadder than an old man crying in a devil costume.

I thought it was funny when Gabi got into bed without even taking off her shoes. I was hoping Sofi would notice, but nope.

Has anybody noticed Gabi drinking much before this episode? Not that she was exactly boozing it up last night, but I didn't recall ever seeing her drink before. Then two (at least) drinks in one night. Could this be the start of a habit? Or am I expecting way too much in the continuity area? ;)
 

Julie, I, too, noticed the shoes, but I actuallt thought that they were riding boots. That's even odder yet for someone feigning to be so sick. Like, where is she going?!?!...Noticed the closet drinking, too. Are we about to be treated to another facet of her marvelous personality?...She's really coming due on a payment on her toatl lack of decencytoward everyone (except, of course, feonando). Thanks for the recap, Melinama, I'm forgetting my manners...
 

Thanks, Melinama for bringing us through and past the unbare-able with such ease. During the aforementioned I noted digitally blurred bottoms and made a mental comparison to the nekkid swimming scene under the falls in Destilando Amor during which NOTHING of Angelica Rivera's bare torso was ever a digitized blur.....

Last night the highlight of this lowbrow excursion into farcical fantasy was Grampa Augie cracking jokes and playing with his devil of a tail.

And now, surprise! The Reyes boys were cheated out of their fortune and heritage by bad guys who killed their parents to cover up their crime. Ok. So was it the Uribe boys' family who dun it and was Fernando's papa in on it? I'll buy a clue.....
 

Melinama, thanks for that great recap. Much of the episode was cringeworthy. Tomasa Mora would have slapped Qunitina for making such a mess of the bakery.
Gramps in the devil costume was my favorite, the way he tickled all the ladies with the tip of his tail.
Snorted when Crabi arranged herself to carefully in bed with her shoes/boots still on.
The actors have to know how ridiculous this show is. I've done things for a paycheck, too, so I guess I shouldn't blame them.
La Paloma
 

Something also happened to Feonando's family's money - I wonder if the Uribes tried to bankrupt every family in town, or what?
 

Thanks for the recap! Now the truth comes out about the family losing their money....now we have to wait months to find out who did it!:(

Didn't get to see this show....the stupid cable showed a box on the screen that said the channel was not available! Needless to say, the cable people are supposed to fix the problem. If that had happened during Pasion, I would have been REALLY upset!

Still waiting to see the Uribe boys......
 

The previews made it look as if Sofia promises Gabi that Sofia will either sleep with Ferd, or maybe just be nicer to him. But I doubt she'll really sleep with him, since the writers have to maintain her (post-rape) purity, just as Rodrigo never really slept with Isadora in Destilando (I think).
 

Nope, Rodrigo never did the deed with ANYONE besides Gaviota. Partly because his heart was pure and true, and partly because he was physically incapable of being with anyone else. (Until the psychologist "cured" him, LOL.)
 

OT. I baked the conchas on Sunday.
I was fully dressed by the way, although I only wore flip flops daring fate to drop anything hot on my exposed toeseys.
The conchas are the delicious recipe recommended here on the blog. I think the missing ingredient to keep the topping on the rolls is creamier butter. So I addlibed by adding a couple of tablespoons of whole milk.
 

Heads Up. The Fuego home page isn't working. The one at http://del.icio.us/caray/Fuego
 

Bonney - was that the recipe with the evaporated and condensed milk, or the other recipe?

Paula - it looks like Delicious is having an outage, but we can't really do anything about it except wait for it to come back up. :(

As for the rooster curtains I had hoped to make, I wasn't able to find a rooster print at the nearby place. There was a cartoonish hen print, but it wasn't quite the same thing. :)
 

Julie, it was the recipe without the two kinds of milk. And the milk I added was to the topping for pasteing over the buns.
 

Thanks Bonney - I was curious because most of the other concha recipes I found use either very little milk, or none at all. The ones with the two kinds of milk must be very rich and filled with awesomeness.

I really want to make them - if I can just clear off enough counter space for kneading!
 

Doardo Dave, you are too funny. I love your comment about the chocolate chip cookies. Rosario is almost nekkid on top, so she can be a great baker.
 

People here hated Amar sin Limites and stayed away in droves. Certainly nobody was commenting. Fuego is worse in my opinion, yet people are still watching it and commenting merrily away. I'm confused. Is it because of the comedy factor? I also realize I don't have the same taste as a lot of people in Mexico, where Pasion was not considered a hit but crappy Fuego is most popular. Different strokes I guess.
 

I can only speak for myself, but I hated Amar from watching only brief moments of it - I didn't like its inexorably dark quality and the weird hollowness of the soundtrack. I didn't like anybody on screen. Why watch? I'm enjoying Fuego's combination of abominable screenplay and good actors, and it's so darn cheery!
 

Personally, I am not even tempted to miss Fuego. Normally, I get behind in my shows for one reason or another; but not so far. I think it might be because it's so easy and relaxing.

Someone elsewhere said she agreed it was easy and relaxing and also watches it for the atmosphere and the romance; it's not moving ahead very fast, but she doesn't mind.

I do like seeing all the big stars in one place.

About the bread, my husband and I went and bought a bagful of conchas at La Chicanita Bakery in Aurora, Illinois, last weekend. It's a nice bakery, they have a huge selection, and the bread was pretty good.

But unfortunately, I can tell it had shortening (trans fats) in it, so I am going to have to make them myself if I have them, I guess. I could feel the shortening sticking to my lips after I ate it.

Not a fan of trans fats. Honestly, I'd rather have lard than trans fats. But oil or butter would be better, to my taste.
 

Fuego's seemingly random internal logic adds a weird kind of suspense. I also like the cast, music, rural setting, and unpredictable sense of humor - you just never know when something intentionally or unintentionally funny will happen.

I guess what it comes down to is that, with all its flaws, it doesn't seem to take itself too seriously. That gives it a kind of charm that Amar didn't have - from the admittedly small amount of it that I watched.
 

PS - I agree with Jeri about the lard.

Most of the recipes I saw use butter. Bakeries probably use trans fat because it's cheaper, but when I make it at home it's either going to be butter or lard. (Probably go with the lard since there's already a lot of milk.)
 

Amar sin Limites never did draw me in; it seemed gloomy. FELS is pure goofiness and silly romance, with something of an improv feel about it, and everything PLUS the kitchen sink and bakery oven thrown in.
I enjoy the music and the scenery, although I hate the red hacienda with its fortress front wall. Love the BadLove Bar, with its random jets of flame on the runway.
For real quality, I still miss Pasion, where exciting things happened to believeable characters.
La Paloma
PS My mother taught me to make pie crust with lard for the flakiest results.
 

Julie: Probably Uni's costuming department bought up the only remaining bolts of rooster material to make those silly shirts the brothers wear. --Speaking of chickens and those chicken shirts that Oscar and Juan were always wearing in tandem, Hubby has begun to refer to Fuego not so affectionately as that chicken sh**t show we watch. I'm wondering what that says about my son-in-law who actually enjoys this stupid telenovela.
 

In the 5/22 comments, there is a website listed which is devoted to rooster designs, in fact over 39,000 of them. If you missed it, it's a fun and an interesting site for you rooster fans.

This telenovela is hammy, ridiculous, colorful, and funny and has E Y. The only thing the grim Amar had of interest was Andres (thetialovingabuelokiller) played by the handsome Marcelo Cordoba. And past the coma, the only thing to interest me was the handsome Augustin Arana, aka Omar in LFMB.
 

I cannot take this telenovela any more. It is very boring.... I miss Rodrigo. The music is horrible, and who dresses these ranchera chickies? Sophia needs to have a eyebrow wax ASAP and she needs an intervention regarding her outfits. Only Sarita and Ximena dress cute. And what is with the hair do for Sophia, YUCK! Just cannot get into this one.. bring back the Pirates and the Tequila.
JAX
 

Thank you, Melinama for the giggles. For the guys out there...I hope that you are taking notes on those no-fail quotes that Juan is saying : ''Your skin was made for my hands.'' ''Know that you will always be protected at my side.'' These are surefire winning words to tell a woman. Even Crabiella gave you a great line : ''Things are going to go your way very soon.'' This would be a very hopeful phrase to throw out. Dorado Dave : I like Adela and Eduardo together, but I've been rewatching Amor Real, and I must say that the chemistry between Adela and Fernando in that novela was combustible [i.e. like that fire in the bakery oven]. And I loved the brothers skinnydipping scene , but what was up with the blurred bums...no fair. And talk about uncomfortable...your mother lecturing you on sleeping with your spouse.
 

I think that one of the Tweedles [The Tall One] was the n'er-do-well son of the good twin on Mundo de Fieras....the one who stole his stepmother [crazy , horny Joslyn's jewelry and had an affair with his uncle's mistress]. And here's my list of reasons for continuing to watch this very odd show : 1]Eduardo Yanez 2] Adela Noriego 3] skinnydipping scenes 4] Abuelo's devil costume 5] the scenery 6] nothing better to watch
 

So that's where I saw Tall One! Honestly I'm not sure which Uribe Twit is which (they are both piglets as far as I'm concerned), but one of them looks really familiar.

My theory about Abuelo's costumes is that at one time (before Crabi rose to power) he must have thrown a lot of costume parties. It seems like the sort of thing he'd enjoy.

AND speaking of the past, I suspect that Crabi wasn't always so crabby. I bet her paranoia about the horny behavior of young people probably says a lot about her own youthful indiscretions.
 

Speaking of conchas -- they really are YUMMY directly out of the oven -- now if only we could do a split screen at home with some of us chomping on the left and the rest of us chomping on the right...
There's a special form thing that fits over the main bready-bun part and the crumbly topping is pressed into it, which is how the wavy lines get in the concha topping and make it like a shell.
I rather like the Uribe boys, they seem like decent sorts, though not buffed up & out. The Mexican news says that the whited out nekkid Reyes bros are the first fully nekkid men or people on a telenovela -- so this is REALLY RISQUE! man. We on this side of the border are SO jaded! We have nekkid everything, no whited out blurs, AND we have conchas in our bakeries too!
Now for the chicken shirts...we should all get one!
 

Anon 8:04- I think that Sofia hair is gorgeous, and I'm not exactly the salon type of guy. Seems like it's braided differently every day, anything but boring, and leave her eyebrows alone, too. For me, she is just a natural beauty, much more so than her sisses...yesterday, I googled rooster shirts, and the second listing had a snazzy snap button embroidered model for sale, as well as an equally snazzy horse on, bu they were mediums, or else I'd have snapped them up. They are gone today. That would take care of my attrie for two eves of each week...I'm gonna keep shopping
 

Rooster shirt update- still avail, I think, at etsy.com. The second one was a saddle motif....
 

bonney churros, thanks for the tip about making the topping stick on. I might make those before the weather heats up.
 

Is there a recap for yesterday 5/27? Thanks.
 

Ok, admittedly, I'm a couple of days behind, but can someone please tell me why oh why Sofia would feel the need to tell her insane mother about Juan the minute they declared their amar for each other. I need to know I'm not going crazy. Mama would be the very LAST person on earth I'd give this news to. If you looked up Buzz Kill in the dictionary that sourpuss would be there next to the definition.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder