Saturday, May 03, 2008

La Traición, Thurs, May 1 and Friday, May 2 - Escape from the mine and truths are told

A thousand apologies that my weekend from hell happened right when LT got really, really good. Below is a recap of Thursday's Episode and Friday's episodes.

Summary of Thursday, May 1 Episode-

Hugo and Soledad are trapped in the mine:

S: Alcides, you have changed so much. You’ve been so good to me and my daughter. So much, that sometimes, I don’t understand why I feel as if …
H: as if I were Hugo?
S: Better, not to speak of him, yes? It isn’t important now. The important thing is to get out of here now.

Boris and the miners are digging on the other side of the fall. Boris calls and Soledad answers back, “We are here. Help us, please.” Boris sends Juan for more workers. He says that Hugo and Soledad may be running out of air in there.
“Please, Boris, get us out of here!” calls Soledad. She turns to Hugo all happy, “You see, I told you that we would get out of here. Hold on, you have to hold on.”

Eloisa tells Paquito that the fact that drawing exists does not prove that Hugo de Medina is alive or that he took his twin brother’s place. You should wait to blackmail him with it. Paquito asks why she is defending him. Is she interested in him or what? Eloisa responds, “While it will hurt you to hear it, yes. That man knows knows how to treat women very well and I want to be with him whether he’s Hugo or Alcides.”
”You are crazy,” responds Paquito, “You don’t know what you want.”
“ Oh, yes I do,” says Eloisa. “Hugo de Medina has lots of money and I’m not letting him escape. I’ll defend him regardless of what it costs.”
“Regardless of what it costs?” says Paquito, “are you threatening me?”

“A secret that could destroy your family?” says Rebeca. She urges Ester to tell her. Maybe she can keep Lucas from mortgaging the house. Ester tells Rebeca that Manrique gave her this house. Rebeca is surprised and asks why her dead husband would make such an expensive gift especially since he was so stingy. Ester says that she can’t tell Rebeca why because she is Jereimas' widow. Rebeca encourages Ester to tell her. Ester says that she and Jeremias were lovers.

Outside the mine, Lucas asks Juan if Soledad and Hugo have been located. Juan says yes but they are trapped behind a pile of rocks. He needs all hands to go down and help. Arturo says that if too many people go down there, there won’t be enough oxygen for everyone. Lucas says to Juan that he knows the mine better than anyone. Is there another entrance? Juan says that that there is subterranean river that exits from the mine but it’s very turbulent. Lucas says, of course, that’s how Alcides escaped after the explosion. He asks Juan to take him to the place. Juan says that it is impossible. One would have to swim against the current and hold ones breath for a long time. Lucas doesn’t care. His daughter’s life is at stake. Juan says to forget it. It’s certain death. He says to leave the rescue to the workers.

Lucas sneaks off towards the river while Antonia asks Dr. Max to give Soledad priority medical attention when she and Alcides are rescued because she has a daughter. Dr. Max says that he will apply triage principals and treat the most seriously injured first. Antonia notices that Lucas is gone. Juan goes after him.

Ester asks Rebeca not to think badly of her. Rebeca wasn’t married to Jeremias when this happened. Rebeca says that she knows that Jeremias was very charming and it wasn’t surprising that Ester fell in love with him. Ester tells her that after they were married, Lucas changed a lot. He became a drunk and his family rejected her because she wasn’t of the same class. Rebeca is surprised to hear that a woman so distinguished wasn’t considered well born enough for Lucas. Ester tells her that when Lucas fell in lover with her, she was a simple dressmaker from another town.

Lucas arrives at the river saying that he will save his daughter even if it costs him his life. A whole gang of people have followed him including Antonia who begs him not to do it. Lucas plunges into the river and Juan follows.

Ester says that her family was very humble and she just learned to sew. None of her friends here know this. Rebeca (the former prostitute) says that she won’t tell anyone. Lucas came to her for clothing for his fiancé and it was love at first sight. Ester goes on to tell Rebeca that things changed. Lucas was cut off from his inheritence, they didn’t have any money, he mistreated her and made her life a hell. That’s when Jeremias took them in. Rebeca says that she understands. She just has one question: is Soledad Jeremias’ daughter?

Soledad tries to move some beams but gives up asking, “Why don’t they help us? Why is it taking so long?”
H: Many rocks fell. It will not easy to clear the entrance.
S: I feel like I can’t breathe. I’m tired.
H: Soledad, listen to me. I don’t think they will succeed. It will be better if you go down alone.
S: No, I won’t leave here without you. I already told you that they are going to rescue us. You just need a little patience.
H: Listen to me. You can save yourself. You only need to descend to the river, swim a little bit. (This is the same river that swept Alcides away.) You only have to do it.
S: I’m telling you no. I’m not going anywhere.
Hugo sits up a little straighter.
S: Nothing will happened, Alcides. Just wait; they are coming.
H: Listen to me. Listen. If both of us stay here, we will die. Do it for our daughter. Save yourself.
S: We’re not going to die. We’re going to get out.
H: Save yourself. Save yourself.
S: (calls) Boris! Boris! Get us out of here quickly, the air is running out. (Picky, picky I know in a very dramatic scene but if Soledad could get out via the river, presumably there is a source of air and where is the light coming from?)
Boris: Sra Soledad! Try to stay calm. Jose has gone for help. Soon, we will get you out. (to the diggers) Faster! Faster!
Meanwhile Emilio, Arturo’s man, is trying to make the situation worse by moving a support beam. Guillermo spots him and tells Boris. Boris stops him but Emilio tells everyone that the ceiling will fall and they will all be killed. Boris has to pull a gun to stop the mutiny. He thanks Guillermo for being very brave.

Ester tells Rebeca that Soledad is not Jeremias’ daughter. “Are you sure?” Ester says that she was pregnant with Lucas’ child when she became Jeremias’ lover. She told Jeremias that Soledad was his child. “You think badly of me.” Ester says to Rebeca. “I would have done the same, says Rebeca, “ and look what a nice house you got.” As if she hasn’t said enough, Ester tells Rebeca that before he died, Jeremias came to see her and told her that Soledad’s future was secured by this house. All that belonged to him would be Soledad’s. Rebeca tells Ester that she will do what she can to keep Manrique from letting Lucas mortgage the house. Rebeca leaves and on the way out says that she is sure that Jeremias hid the treasure in this house but she is sure she will find it.

Antonia is sure that Lucas has drowned. Dr. Max tries to reassure her and Elena says that if he did drown, he’ll go straight to heaven because he was a good person.

Lucas and Jose have succeeded in entering the mine. Jose says that it was a miracle they could hold their breath that long. Lucas asks Jose to lead him to where Soledad and Alcides are trapped.

In the mine,
H: (thinks to Soledad) Don’t stop looking at me. I beg you, don’t stop. Your eyes are the only thing keeping me alive.
S: I’m here. I won’t leave you. I’ll always be here.
H: (thinks) Why have so many things happened? Such pain. We could have been so happy.
Tears run down both their faces.

Ester tells herself that she can’t wait for Rebeca to resolve the situation. She decides to go find Lucas. She say, "Even if I have to lie again. I have to clear my name."

Eloisa tells Rebeca about the collapse of the mine. Eloisa is concerned about Alcides. Rebeca is concerned about those who have invested in the mine. They decide to go to the mine and find out what’s happening.

Soledad is mesmerized looking at Hugo. He waves his hand in front of her face.
S: Yes, it’s true. We could have been very happy. (she read his thought, apparently.)
H: Listen to me. Listen, I don’t have much time. I’m going to die, Soledad but you must know the truth.
S: What truth?
H: The truth about me, about who I am. You will probably hate me but you need to know everything, everything. Listen to me Soledad. I am not the Medina that you believe me to be. I lied to you..
S: Enough already. I don’t want you to continue. No, we aren’t going to die. I don’t care what you wanted to say.
At this inopportune time, Juan and Lucas show up. They haul Hugo up. Boris hears them and Juan tells him that they are going to escape by the river. Boris tells the diggers to leave the mine.

Ester disguises herself to go into the Tavern looking for Lucas. Margot tells her that Lucas left when he heard that the mine collapsed. Ester faints. Omar and Margot take her into the Mysterious Lady’s dressing room. They leave her alone there.

Arturo is annoyed when he overhears Guillermo tell Elena that Alcides and Soledad are escaping by the river.

Down by the river, everyone is waiting. A shout goes up, look, there they are. Soledad is holding Hugo who appears to be on the point of death. She has a flashback to when she found Hugo on her wedding day. She says to him:
S: You have to live, my love. This time you aren’t going to die.
She kisses him.
S: Return, return to life with me.
Hugo opens his eyes. Everybody is happy. Soledad holds Hugo’s head right next to her bosom. “Thank heaven you are all right,” she says, “How do you feel?”
“Thankful for you,” he replies. Hugo thanks Juan and Lucas. Lucas says that he did it for his daughter. Boris sends the crowd away. Boris asks Hugo if he thinks he can walk. “Only if you help me,” replies Hugo. Dr. Max wants to examine Hugo but Hugo and Lucas insist that he look at Soledad’s bump on her head. Finally, Boris and Hugo are alone. Boris asks Hugo if he’s sure he is ok. Gasping, Hugo says, “I was on the point of having a catalepsy attack. If it hadn’t been for Soledad, if it hadn’t been for her, it would have happened.” Boris says, “There is no doubt that Soledad is your guardian angel.”
“She is very courageous,” says Hugo, “very courageous.”
“It’s very obvious that she loves you a lot,” says Boris, “she was very frightened.” Hugo smiles and Boris helps him up.

Dr. Max finishes tending Soledad’s bump. Antonia wants to talk to her brother so he leaves her there but encourages her to return to his laboratory as soon as possible. Lucas wants to speak to Soledad. Lucas says that he was surprised by her concern for Alcides. He thought they didn’t have such a close relationship. Soledad responds that she would have reacted the same way for anyone. Lucas doesn’t buy it. He sees in her eyes that she is in love with Alcides. Soledad doesn’t answer but flashes back to her confusion when Alcides/Hugo told her that he can’t tolerate being in enclosed spaces and she knew that Hugo had that problem, not Alcides.

Hugo, more or less recovered and walking on his own, returns to the entrance to the mine. The miners have tied up Emilio, Arturo’s stooge. Hugo asks him, for his own good, to tell him who paid him to sabotage the mine work. Boris tells Hugo that the evil Emilio also tried to sabotage the rescue effort. Emilio says that they can’t hold him. Hugo agrees but says that he will be turned over the police, go to prison and his family won’t like that. He asks Emilo to think about them and tell who paid him. Unfortunately, Arturo is standing right behind Hugo. Emilio says that it is because of his family that he won’t open his mouth. Hugo turns and looks at Arturo.

Soledad tells her father that he can’t imagine how her life has been in the last few months. Lucas asks if Alcides has mistreated her. “On the contrary,” says Soledad, “Alcides has been very good to me and with my daughter, it’s been very special. He even agreed to help me with the hospital work. He’s treated me as if…”
“As if he were Hugo,” finishes Lucas.
“Papa,” she says, “I can’t help it. I look at him. I talk to him and it’s like I was talking to Hugo. I look at him and at the bottom of my heart it’s like Alcides isn’t Alcides, he’s really Hugo.”
“That’s why you were concerned a minute ago,” say Lucas.
“It was terrible having to relive Hugo’s death,” she says, “It’s like he died all over again.” Soledad says that she can’t go on thinking that Alcides is Hugo. She knows that she has to accept Alcides for who he is. She tells him that she doesn’t know what to do.

Arturo tells his men to leave. Hugo tells Arturo that he wants to talk to him. Hugo says that Arturo is responsible for this tragedy. He accuses Arturo of giving money to Emilio to bribe the miners. Arturo asks how Hugo can accuse of something so serious without proof. Hugo replies that Arturo would do anything for greed. Arturo blames the engineer and reiterates that Hugo has no proof of what he is accusing him of. Hugo says that he wants Arturo out of the mine business. Fine, says Arturo, “I’ll be over to your house tomorrow to pick up the money I invested.” Hugo responds that he won’t give Arturo one single penny. He can do what he wants, too. (Didn’t the investors sign any contracts or anything that would address the withdrawal of an investor?)

The confrontation between Hugo and Arturo is witnessed by Guillermo and Elena. Elena thinks Arturo will kill Hugo but she doesn’t want Guillermo to interfere. Guillermo firmly believes that has to help though.

Lucas tells Soledad that being close to Alcides is hurting her. He advises Soledad to stay away from Alcides for a while for her peace of mind. Soledad says she has thought of that but she can’t because of Aurora. She has to find a cure for her catalepsy. Lucas says that she doesn’t know how bad he feels that he doesn’t have the means to scour the world looking for a cure for his granddaughter. Soledad reassures him that Alcides has investigators looking for a cure and Dr. Max is researching it too. She is sure it will happen. She has faith. Lucas suggests again that some time away from Alcides would help Soledad get rid of her feelings for Hugo. She says, “I will never forget him. I won’t ever stop feeling this pain because he isn’t here. But the reality is that he isn’t here.”

Hugo tells Arturo that all business has risk and by his stupidity he has lost his investment in the mine. He advises Arturo not to sue him. Arturo says that he doesn’t need a court to get his money back. He draws his gun and his men do too. He grabs Hugo’s cane and throws it away. (What, did he think Hugo was going to use a cane against a gun? Or maybe he hopes Hugo will fall down.) Boris draws his gun but he is outnumbered. Arturo forces Hugo to make Boris lower his gun. He says that he and Hugo will go to the bank right now and get his money. At this moment, the miners, collected by Guillermo, come out with picks and shovel to defend Hugo. Arturo backs down but says that the matter isn’t over.

Ester wakes up in the ML’s dressing room. For some reason, she is hesitant to leave the tavern without covering herself up and she has conveniently forgotten the scarf around her neck that she used when she came in. So she rummages in the closet and finds a hat that she recognizes as Rebeca’s. She gets out of the tavern and her driver tells her that Soledad and Alcides have escaped safely from the mine. She tells him that she wants to go to Rebeca’s house.

Soledad and Lucas come running up to Hugo and ask about his confrontation with Arturo. Hugo explains what happened. Soledad says that he did right but Arturo won’t take this lying down. Hugo agrees and says that they have to be prepared. The credits roll.


Summary of May 2 episode: Hugo and Soledad's confrontation followed by the filler.

Soledad hugs her baby and talks to Ursula:
U: Thank heaven, everything is all right. A worker from the mine came and told us what had happened.
S: It was horrible. (to the baby) My little one, I was so afraid I would never see you again. (to Ursula). It was terrifying, you can’t imagine.
U: What a relief that you and Alcides are ok.
S: I’ve never in my life felt such panic. Inside the mine, Alcides couldn’t breathe. He was suffocating and I couldn’t do anything to help him.
U: You were upset to see him like that, right?
S: It was worse than that. I was afraid to lose him. Do you realize? I was afraid that he would die and leave me.
U: What you’re saying is that you’re in love with Alcides.
S: No, no, it’s not Alcides. It’s because he reminds me of Hugo all the time.
U: Think about it, then. Give him an opportunity. Let yourself fall in love with Alcides. He has changed a lot. He’s a good man.
S: No, no. I can’t fall in love with Alcides. I won’t allow that to happen. That’s why I’ve made a decision.
U: What are you going to do?
S: While I’m taking a bath, pack our bags. We’re going to my parents’ house.
U: To your parents’ house?
S: I can’t stay in this house another second. I can’t stay feeling what I feel, Ursula. I can’t continue to be confused about my feelings for Hugo (I think she means Alcides here. She knows what she feels for Hugo). I have to leave.

Hugo tells Boris to pass out weapons to the employees and put everyone on alert about a possible attack by Arturo and his men.
B: It appears that your plan of vengeance is not coming out like you wanted.
H: I didn’t imagine that Arturo was capable of being so stupid. He put the lives of many innocent persons at risk by having the miners excavate without taking the proper precautions. (uh, you know Hugo, nobody would be at risk in the mine and Arturo wouldn’t have been driven to these extremes if you hadn’t insisted on launching the PoV.)
B: Including you. You almost lost your life.
H: So did Soledad and Aurora, the daughter of Lupe and Jose and many other innocent people. Arturo de Linares is crazy.
Marina comes in to report that Soledad has ordered a carriage to leave the house.

Ursula says to Soledad,
“You’re not going to talk to Alcides? You’re not going to tell him that you are leaving the house?
S: No. I’ll leave him a note. I can’t talk about this with him.
Hugo comes into her room.
H: You’ll have to. Don’t think about leaving my house without an explanation. Ursula, please leave us alone.
She takes the baby out.
A: Forgive me, Alcides, but I want to stay at my parents’ house, at least for a while.
H: Arturo de Linares has declared war. You shouldn’t leave this house. I can’t permit that my daughter and you be exposed to certain death.
S: Then send somebody you trust to my parents’ house to guard us. I (she starts to say “can’t”) don’t want to stay in this house. I can’t stay with you. I’m sorry.
H: Why? What have I done that is so bad that you dislike my company?
S: Nothing. You’ve behaved very well with me and my daughter. I couldn’t be more grateful to you.
H: Then I don’t understand why you are leaving. Or is there something else? Is there something you are hiding?
S: Understand me, Alcides, I can’t continue at your side.
H: So far you haven’t given me a single logical reason. What have I done that is insufficient to win your love? Because if that is so, tell me. Tell me what it is that I need to do to win your love.
S: No, No, that’s not necessary.
H: Soledad: I know that you love me. Admit it. Today in the mine, I realized it.
S: I was concerned for you the way I would have been about anyone.
H: I know that I have succeeded in conquering your heart. I have no doubts now that you love me. I know it.
S: You’re wrong. I’ve never loved you and I will never love you.
H: Don’t say that and break my heart. Everything I have done is to win your love. Tell me that you don’t love me. Tell me that you don’t love me.
He leans over and kisses her. She responds, then pulls away and slaps him.
S: I can’t love you. I can’t. Because the only person that I will love forever is Hugo, only Hugo.
H: (angrily) Are you mocking me? Repeat what you just said.
S: I wish there were another way but I can’t love you because I never stopped loving Hugo. I always loved him. Alcides, it hurts me a lot to have to tell you this. Believe me. You’ve behaved like a gentleman. You’ve saved my life and the life of my baby but every good thing you do reminds me of Hugo all the time.
H: You want to confuse me.
S: You can’t be more confused than I am. But I can’t continue to betray the memory and the love I have for Hugo. Forgive me, that is why I have to leave. I need time to think.
Hugo grabs Soledad’s arm.
H: You’re not leaving. You’re not leaving because I don’t believe a single word that you said.
S: What else do I have to say to make you believe me? I’ve already explained why I couldn’t attend Hugo’s velorio. (when did she explain that to him?) I almost lost my baby that night. I was very ill.
H: Let’s agree that part is true. I believe you about that. Deny to my face, deny to my face right now that you married Alcides for money, only for money. Deny that we had a deal.
A: You know we didn’t have a deal Alcides. You know perfectly well that we were never lovers.
H: Why did you lie? Why did tell me that after I returned?
S: You had gaps in your memory. I only told you what you wanted to hear. Yes, I lied but you want to know why I did it? I did it out of fear. Because I didn’t know how you would treat my daughter.
H: You married Alcides two days after (he almost says “I”) Hugo died. Two days after!
S: That was the worst moment of my entire life. My father had a heart attack because Manrique was going to take his house. I did it for him. You offered money and my mother pressured me to do it. It was against my will, Alcides. I didn’t have any other option. With the most profound pain that you can imagine, I had to marry you after the death of your brother, Hugo. But Hugo was the first man I loved in my whole life, Alcides, and is the only man I will ever love.
Hugo looks at her, his eyes full of tears.

Arturo is instructing his men on what they are to do: show no mercy and leave no witnesses. Gladis asks him what’s going on and why everyone is armed. Arturo tells her to get back to the kitchen; this is a guy thing (good luck there, Arturo. We know who really wears the pants in your family). Gladis demands to know what he is planning. Arturo says that he is going to kill Alcides and all his family, all of them. Gladis is impactada. She tries to get him to change his mind. Surely, as an intelligent man, he can think of a better way to get his money back than killing everyone? Once they are all dead, how is he going to get his money anyway? Arturo says he will plunder the hacienda. Gladis asks if he wants to spend the rest of his life in jail but Arturo says that he has the authorities under his control. Finally, Gladis plays her trump card – if Arturo goes ahead, she will disinherit him. Arturo say that he doesn’t appreciate threats (you can make threats but you don’t like to be on the receiving end, eh Arturo?). Arturo says that he isn’t a child. Gladis apologizes. She is afraid to lose him. She has already lost Beatriz. It’s been so many months since she heard from her. It’s as if she were dead. Arturo says that he will be fine but Gladis begs him not to go ahead with his massacre plan. He agrees but says to himself that he will find a way to get his money back from Alcides. Nobody makes him a laughing stock.

As if we haven’t had enough of Ester and Rebeca already, now Ester comes to see Rebeca. She says that she found Rebeca’s hat in the ML’s dressing room. She asks if Rebeca is friends with the ML or maybe is the ML and Lucas’ lover? Rebeca feigns outrage that Ester could think such a thing. Rebeca claims the hat was stolen and that she is shocked, shocked at the idea that Ester could think such a thing. (Academy award winning performance there, Rebeca.)

Paquito says that he is going to blackmail Hugo for pretending to be Alcides. Eloisa tells him that he won’t say a word. When he asks how she will prevent him from doing so, she sheds her dress and is ready to use sex to get what she wants. Paquito is tempted but says that he won’t change his mind. Eloisa says why don’t they discuss it while they are making love.

Antonia is working in the Orchid garden. (I guess she’s taking over from Enrico) Lucas comes out. Antonia says that he should be resting after all he did to save his daughter. Lucas says that he is rested and he feels fine. He can’t find Ester but he wants to talk to Antonia. He asks her how it’s going working for Dr. Max. She replies that for the first time in her life, she feels that she has a mission. She likes helping sick people. She says that Dr. Max is very respectful to her. Lucas says that he is happy. Antonia says that he is a good brother and she knows that she can always count on him. Lucas asks her to leave; Dr. Max is waiting for her. Antonia thinks that Lucas seems a little tense but she agrees to leave.

Finally Michelle appears (although I could have waited). She asks Daniel if he has found out anything about Alcides de Medina. How hard could it have been to find out something about someone as notorious as Alcides in San Marino but Daniel hasn’t found out anything. He did find out about Dr. Max though so they agree to go there.

At Dr. Max’s, Antonia is tidying up. She starts to read a book on catalepsy by old Dr. Chirac and says that this is the doctor who was killed. She asks if Dr. Max knew him. Dr. Max says that he was a colleague and has a flashback to when he murdered his colleague. He grabs the book out of her hand and tells her that he has a lot to do and she’s asking too many questions.

Eloisa has tied Paquito to the bed (I don’t want to know how she managed to do that). She is still trying to get Paquito to give up his blackmail plan. Her alternative plan is to marry Hugo and she’ll give him half the fortune. Paquito asks if she has forgotten that since Hugo is pretending to be Alcides, he is married to Soledad. The only way she could get him is to kill Soledad. Eloisa thinks that might not be a bad idea. Paquito tells her to forget it. He doesn’t want her sleeping around with other men. He tolerated her relationship with Arturo, even supported it but now it is different. At this moment, there is a knock on the door. It’s Arturo. (Don’t they have servants to announce guests?).

Lucas is ransacking the house looking for booze. He finds some and has a series of flashbacks to how he learned about Jeremias and Ester. He almost takes a drink but says that he is going to face this problem sober.

Arturo comes into Eloisa’s room to find Paquito advising her on a new hairstyle. (quick change, there). She asks him to leave but Paquito says that after the last time Arturo was there, he’s not leaving Eloisa alone with Arturo. Arturo says that he isn’t there to hurt Eloisa. On the contrary, he wants her help and he’ll reward her. He wants her help to recover the money he invested in the mine.

Antonia ushers Daniel, Michelle and Andres into Dr. Max’s laboratory. She recognizes his family name from the books on catalepsy. Dr. Max comes down and Daniel introduces himself. Dr. Max is impactado and won’t shake hands with him.

Arturo says that he has been sad that she ended their relationship but he’d like to start over. Eloisa asks what she gets out of helping him get his investment back. Arturo offers her 20 percent, a fortune. Behind him, Paquito is suddenly all ears. Eloisa asks why he has come to her. He is capable of getting what he wants himself. Arturo replies that if it were up to him, he would kill Alcides right away but that’s not in his best interest right now. He says that Eloisa has become friends with Alcides and Soledad. She can convince him to return his investment. Arturo ups the offer to 50 percent. Paquito is doing a big YES! behind Arturo’s back but has to quickly pretend to be fooling around with his cane when Arturo turns around. Eloisa agrees. Arturo tells Eloisa that she is very beautiful and he hopes that someday they can reconcile their differences and make up for lost time. He leaves. Eloisa and Paquito laugh at the idea of making up lost time. Eloisa is not initially interested in helping Arturo but Paquito says that if she does what Arturo wants and gives him the money he wants, he won’t try his blackmail scheme on Hugo. She agrees and they head to the bed again.

Lucas is waiting for Ester to return. She wants to know what happened in the mine. He says he will tell her later but right now he wants to discuss something more serious. The deeds to the house are lying on the table. Lucas says that he wants Ester to be honest with him, no matter how painful it is. “What’s this about?” asks Ester, as if she didn’t already know. Lucas says that when they were married she told him that the house was a gift from a rich aunt but evidently that is false. He shows her the deed and says that apparently the house belonged to Jeremias de Montenegro. Angrily, he asks why she lied and what does Jeremias have to do with all this?

Ever the polite host, Mr. Max rudely asks what Daniel et al are doing in his house and how did they find out where he lived? Michelle introduces herself. Dr. Max again asks what they want. Daniel says that Antonia told them that Dr. Max has the studies that his father made on catalepsy. Dr. Max says that Alcides de Medina gave them to him but he never knew old Dr. Chirac personally. Dr. Max asks them again what they want. Antonia and Andres leave. Michelle tells Dr. Max that she suffers from catalepsy and she believes that old Dr. Chirac found the cure. She and Daniel need his father’s studies to see if he did find a cure for catalepsy.

Lucas demands an answer from Ester. She tries a lie. She says that Jeremias wanted to give Lucas the house as a wedding gift but he knew Lucas was too proud to accept it. Lucas isn’t buying. He grabs Ester’s face and says that he can see she is lying. She was Jeremias’ lover. “How dare you!” says Ester. Lucas tells her that he wants the truth. Her behavior in the last few months has convinced him that she betrayed him with his best friend! Ester says that it was a crazy time. She was alone while Lucas was a complete alcoholic. She doesn’t know how but it happened. She asks his forgiveness. Lucas says that he is drowning in doubts. He doesn’t want any more surprises at this point in his life (too bad you’re in a novela then).

Dr. Max gives Daniel the studies written by old Dr. Chirac. He says that he has read them so many times, he has memorized them but he has never seen Michelle’s name. Michelle says that old Dr. Chirac used aliases for his patients and hers was the Lady of the Sword. Dr. Max is about to leave them to take a nap when Antonia comes in with an invitation to a celebration of the arrival of summer in honor of his wife, Soledad, from Alcides de Medina. At the name, Michelle and Daniel look up in surprise.

Lucas castigates Ester for betraying him while pretending to be perfect and criticizing the behavior of everyone else in the city. How horrible it is to recognize who she really is after all these years. Ester tells Lucas that she knows he loves her as much as she loves him and asks that he forget the past and forgive her. Lucas continues to castigate Ester by saying that he went against his family and married a simple dressmaker and helped her become a lady while all the while she was a … Ester tells him to stop but Lucas asks her to be honest for once in her life and tell him if Soledad is his daughter.

Eloisa has asked Marina to her room. Marina says that she doesn’t understand why Eloisa wants to speak to her in private. Eloisa gives Marina a pile of money and puts a necklace on her. Eloisa says that she has the impression that Marina is not satisfied with the cheap things Boris gives her. Marina asks what she wants. Eloisa says that Marina has access to information that she is interested in about her boss, Hugo de Medina.

Paquito tells Rebeca that Alcides is Hugo. Paquito speculates that this has all been a plan of revenge by Hugo against the town. Rebeca realizes that she invested all of Lucas’ money and found other investors for the gold mine for what? For nothing.

At the hotel (which appears to be the same building that Hugo was in during his travels), Daniel says that he doesn’t like Dr. Max. He doesn’t seem to be a good person. Michelle says that Daniel had better start liking him because they don’t have another option. He has a full laboratory and seems to be interested in catalepsy. Andres delivers an invitation to Alcides’ celebration that is being sent to all the guests in the hotel. Daniel says that it is a good opportunity to get to know everyone in the city and they should go. Michelle says of course they will go but first she wants to talk to Alcides de Medina in private.


Monday – the scene in the rain from the credits and Alcides returns.

Labels:


Comments:
Jean- thank you for this recap! It's all I need to know - Hugo finally hears the truth from Soledad. Let's hope he believes it and they're back together.
Alcides' return could throw them a curveball. Stay tuned.
 

Glad to see you back, Jean, and thanks. I'm on pins & needles at the moment. The last 6 min. of this episode are posted on youtube, but nothing else except avances have been posted since Wednesday's show (cap #65), and since I don't get Telemundo, I'm getting a little antsy & feeling totally left out! I feel like a lab rat; I keep running to the websites & clicking but nothing new is ever there! I can hear Pavlov laughing in whatever plane of existence he is now... ;-) Hopefully one source or the other will come through soon. Welcome back again!
 

Hi Marie Celeste: I know what you feel like! All the time I was in class or driving or giving a presentation or on the train going to a piano recital all I really wanted to do was run home and watch the novela. It was pure torture. I hope your patience is rewarded soon!
 

Did anyone else wonder why Hugo, while pretending to be Alcides, started referring to himself in the third person ("you married Alcides two days after...)--and Soledad didn't seem to notice? I was wondering if that was in the script, or if Mario forgot that Hugo was supposed to be Alcides still!
 

Hi Debbie: I didn't notice how strange it would be to talk about yourself in the 3rd person until you mentioned it. I always assume that the Spanish titles are from the script because sometimes the actors use different words. If so, using Alcides' name instead of 'me' was in the script.

Apparently, it is impossible for Soledad to let herself believe that Hugo could be alive. She saw him buried, she had his grave dug up and saw his corpse. She (with the aid of the hypnotism) has accepted that he's dead and she isn't going to open herself up to more hurt by believing otherwise in spite of ALL the evidence that the man she thinks is Alcides is really Hugo.

Alternatively, it could be that neither Hugo or Soledad can accept an obvious truth unless the other tells them so directly. Again, it was so obvious that Soledad wasn't the evil moneygrubber that he thought she was but Hugo was not going to believe it until he heard it from her. And we hope he does believe it!
 

Hi Jean,

I was thinking it must have been in the script since it was in the captions AND excactly what Mario said, but I don't recall Hugo-as-Alcides ever doing that before--maybe they wanted to show that Hugo was getting caught up in the moment and about to reveal himself? But you'd think Soledad would have reacted in some way. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next and hoping he believes her at last! (I would have thought that, among other things, Soldedad asking him not to wear his hair like Hugo would have been a clue, but he seems to interpret everything with a glass-half-empty point of view.)

P.S. I'm really enjoying watching Mario in "Pasion de Gavilanes"--it's fun to see him as Juan interacting with his brothers, like this past week when the three of them got into a tiff over Franco burning Oscar's pants with the iron while trying to make breakfast at the same time. It's such a contrast to the Hugo-Alcides relationship.
 

Debbie, thanks for bringing up the Hugo/Alcides-speaking-in-3rd person bit. I was confused about that also & left a comment on youtube to that effect. At first I thought it might have been an error, but when it came up twice, I assumed it was in the script. I think you're right; I think it was thrown in to show how close Hugo is to letting slip who he really is. If that is the case, then the only thing missing was more reaction from Soledad. She should have jumped on those errors more than she did...

Thanks again, Jean, for your faithful recapping and transcription! I've only seen bits of the last 2 days' shows, but through your writing, I'm able to play the missing scenes right in my head! :-D It'll just be the icing on the cake to see the actual scene when the video is actually posted. Thanks for relieving my torture!
 

Regarding the May 1 episode: It’s official, Ester has resigned as the brains of the family since she chose to confide her darkest secret to Rebeca (of all people)!

I have a couple of ideas why Soledad thought she couldn’t breathe in the mine. One was because she had just exerted herself trying to move a beam (while corseted). Also, seeing Hugo in his collapsed state could have suggested to her that there was no air.

Lucas redeemed himself, however temporarily, by helping save Soledad and Hugo. And Lucas was rather adorable with wet hair (he looked like a loveable schnauzer).

Boris’ devotion was so evident when he flew to Hugo’s side after everyone spotted Hugo & Company on the riverbank. The most touching scene, even more than Soledad kissing Hugo, was when Hugo reached up and entwined his hand in her hair clutching it like a life line.

One funny throw-away scene at the water’s edge was after everyone had left. As Hugo was lifted up by Boris, Hugo reached down to retrieve his coat, then Boris grabbed it out of his hand almost in exasperation, as if to say, “You can’t even walk unaided, so let me carry your coat!”

For a split second I thought maybe Batty Bea had showed up at the tavern (a persistent fantasy of mine) and then I realized it was Ester sneaking in with a shawl around her face.

Nancy
 

Another superb recap, Jean! I've been buried with a project for the last few weeks, but thanks to you I've been able to keep up with LT. By tomorrow I should be caught up with the shows I've taped. I hope Soledad and Hugo can clear things up (at least for a while) and deal with Alcides...
jb
 

Thanks to all for the support. I'm glad to be back on schedule.

Nancy: Loved the schnauzer image! So true.

And yes, Hugo with his hand in Soledad's hair was sweet. I laughed at the coat thing too.

Poor Boris! upstaged in rescuing Hugo by Lucas of all people.

Lucas' redemption seems be be short lived since he has taken a pretty high horse with Ester's sins considering that he is an adulterer, a drunk and a lousy provider.

Hi Debbie: I'm enjoying Pasión de Gavilanes a lot too. As you say, a very different role for Mario but you can never have too much Mario. I hope you're reading the recaps of Fuego en la Sangre here. They are absolutely hysterical. I haven't seen an episode but the recaps make it sound like a parody of PdG.

Monday's episode should be interesting. When they do the rain scene, keep an eye out for a great big ring on Hugo's right index finger. He's wearing it in the excerpt of the rain scene that is in the credits. If it's there tomorrow, I think it will be a continuity error. Hugo was buried with that ring on and he obviously doesn't wear it as Alcides.

They'd better grab the big revelation scene 'cause when Alcides comes back, it's going to be pretty obvious to everyone that Hugo is alive!
 

Thanks Jean! I'm right there with you, Marie Celeste. No Telemundo, so I'm dependent on the online episodes.

I'm hoping (maybe fruitlessly) that the false identity thing is about to be over. Hugo has no reason to continue with his PoV or lying to Soledad. Surely with the return of Alcides and the new characters there are new storylines to explore.

I actually dislike Michelle Vieth less in this role than any other I've seen her in. Her voice seems stronger and not whiny and annoying like in other parts. And she hasn't raised her eyebrows and smirked evily (yet).

Thanks again Jean, you do a wonderful job, and all alone! (except for us grateful readers).
 

I too have been involved in a time-consuming project, so I haven't kept up with this telenovela. But I devoted most of the weekend catching up. I'm glad I did. This week ought to be really good. You certainly go out of your way, Jean, with the transcription of dialogue in crucial scenes. I wish my Spanish were that good. Your recaps are really helpful, especially in this one, where there are so many little clues and nuances.
 

Hi Kay: My Spanish comprehension is pretty good but recapping LT is possible for me because I get the program with either English or Spanish captions. Both captions, especially the English ones, can be wrong, however, so you have to be careful. For example, when Hugo told Soledad he couldn't tolerate "lugares encerrados," some of the English captions translated that as "stuffy places" instead of "enclosed places."

Sometimes the Spanish titles are wrong too. A while ago, the caption said "reir," to laugh, when what was said was "creer," to believe.

I usually recap with the English captions for the less important filler bits because it's faster but I'm listening to the Spanish. For the important scenes where I'm going to reproduce the dialog, I always translate from the Spanish captions and then check the English subtitles to make sure I got it correctly.

Sometimes the English subtitles are correct but don't include all the dialog and sometimes they don't give what I think is the best translation. For example, in Friday's episode, what Hugo said to Soledad was translated in the English captions as, "Tell me to my face that you didn't marry Alcides for money." In Spanish, he used the verb, negar, to deny, and I thought that was more powerful, especially with the repetition.

I love the sounds and rhythm of Spanish and the way the sentences are formed. It's such a beautiful language.
 

Rhonda, Long-time no read, fellow online fanatica! Let's send extra-energy intentions to the Telemundo & Youtube sites that they get the missing episodes caught up tomorrow!

I'm sooo excited to see the Monday episode... But I just watched the end of the Friday show again and a thought occurred: Once Hugo chases down Soledad in the rain, confesses the truth & they kiss, is he going to have to carry her up that massive staircase - with them both soaking wet - to get her back to the bedroom where I'm guessing this scene will end? Hope he's been getting good cardio workouts running those stairs before then. ;-)
 

Regarding the May 2 episode: I did wonder about Dr. Dan’s inability to locate the infamous Alcides de Medina. Let’s hope he’s a better detective in his area of expertise.

Question: Why did Hugo huff on the bullet before putting it in the gun chamber (for good luck, like dice)? I’ve never seen this done before.

Even though I don’t speak Spanish, I did pick up on Boris’ use of “usted” instead of “tu” when talking with Hugo. I know “usted” is the more formal version of “you” and “tu” is informal. I thought their deep friendship overrode their employer/employee relationship or was this used as a sign of respect on Boris’ part?

Soledad must have used Ursula’s magic ointment on her conked head because, instead of looking like a goose egg, her wound has almost miraculously healed in a few short hours.

Another question: Occasionally Lucas will use a word that sounds like “bitte” which is a German word. What am I hearing?

Eloisa knew how to spot the weak link when she chose to bribe Marina. Isn’t Boris going to wonder where that expensive piece of jewelry came from?

Marie Celeste: Regarding Hugo’s dilemma of having to carry a soggy Soledad back up that long flight of stairs: That hadn’t occurred to me! Maybe they can just adjourn to the cemetery and relive their first time.

Jean, you said the hotel that Dr. Dan and Michelle are staying at looks suspiciously like the one that Hugo stayed at on his travels (maybe it’s a Columbian Super 8).

And, Jean, a thousand thanks to you for all of your hard work. The more you describe the detailed effort that goes into your recaps the more I appreciate them! You are a tesoro! See, I’m learning a few words, although I’m sure it’s used incorrectly!

Nancy
 

Jean gracias for your fabulous re-caps. It's almost as if I'm at an exciting sports game and you are giving an exciting play by play. You and all of the re-cappers are wonderful.

I do have one question, and pardon in advance if it's been asked and I missed it.

Question: I know that Alcides es abogado, but what is Hugo? How did he come by all of that wealth?
 

Since I'm usually way behind on seeing the episodes on line and don't comment, I'll jump right in here:

Anon 6:21 - I not too long ago learned the command "Vete" (sounds like beh-tay), which is used to tell someone to go away. I believe that may be what you were referring to from Lucas. Someone more knowledgeable in Spanish can correct me if I'm wrong!

Anon 7:38 - I was kind of surprised when Alcides said he was a lawyer because I'd never heard it mentioned what either of them did professionally. As far as Hugo's money, I believe it was all inherited. Alcides apparently lost his inheritance through bad business deals or carelessness.
 

Yes, it could have been 'vete,'which is one of several words commonly used in novelas to tell people to go away. Others are: 'larguense', 'deja mi sola'and 'salí de aquí. You also hear 'sueltame' a lot, which means, 'let me go.'

I thought Hugo was making sure there wasn't anything like dust in the chambers of the pistol but I have absolutely no idea.

I would certainly expect Boris to use the formal, usted, with Hugo. For all they have been together so long, there is still the master servant relationship that would make it impossible for him to refer to Hugo using familiar form. Somebody over on TW pointed out that Soledad speaks to her parents using the familiar 'tu' form, which they thought was not typical of that period.

It's been mentioned a couple of times that Alcides is a lawyer. He and Hugo inherited money from their parents. I don't know if they inherited the same amount but Hugo multiplied his inheritance and Alcides squandered his.

Nancy: I think I'm more of a loca than a tesoro. ;-)
 

Jean, you may be a loca, but you are certainly a tesoro!!!
jb
 

Thanks to both Rhonda and Jean for answering my inquiry about "bitte." I know you’re right now that I see it. Lucas used it on Friday when he was talking with Antonia and he was urging her to leave and go to Dr. Max’s laboratory. Where I first noticed it was at Aurora’s baptism party. I went back and reran that episode. Lucas had been progressively drinking all night and Enrico was trying to persuade him to either knock off the liquor or leave (or both). About then the Mysteriosa “Lady” (hah) started to perform (another hah). Lucas wasn’t about to leave then and he said “vete” several times along with “callate” which I wouldn’t have recognized except for Marie Celeste’s posting describing when Eloisa reprimanded Paquito at the cemetery gate last Wednesday.

One final thought that I keep forgetting to mention: Thank goodness Hugo (as Alcides) has had the good taste to not wear that awful plaid suit that Alcides usually wore. I think the last time we saw it was when Guillermo was playing dress-up with Elena, so maybe the wardrobe people won’t inflict that eyesore on us again. If it does show up that will be a clear sign as to who is the real Alcides.

Nancy
 

Marie Celeste and Rhonda: It looked like episode 67 (Friday's) was up on the Telemundo website although it didn't say so on their home page. I hope 66 is there as well and you can get your LT.

Familiar faces: I was home at lunch watching Pasión de Gavilanes (whew! first love scene with Juan and Norma) and there was the actress who plays Doña Gladis as a neighbor of Rosario.

Last week I saw that one of Armando's henchmen was played by the actor who did such a fantastic job as Agapito, the drunk doctor and coffin maker in Zorro.

Of course, the actress who played Sarita in PdG played, Suplicios, a nun-wannabe who was possessed by the devil in Zorro.

They played a trailer for LT during PdG. It showed Alcides saying that he had escaped from the claws (garras) of Beatriz and was returning to reclaim his love, Soledad and bring his brother to his end.

So we're just waiting until tonight. Tick, tick, tick...
 

OMIGOSH, OMIGOSH, OMIGOSH!!!!!
Between Youtube & Telemundo I got caught up on ALL 3 outstanding episodes tonight - 66, 67 AND tonight's show, 68! All I can say is, holy cow, holy cow, HOLY FRIGGIN' COW!!!!
 

Jean: Re: PDG - Isn't it fun to see familiar (but more varied) faces? I'm so burned out on the usual stable of Televisa actors that it makes the Telemundo shows that much more appealing to me right now.

Re: Juan & Norma's first love scene in PDG - "Whew!" is right.... If anyone thinks Hugo & Soledad have chemistry, let me tell you, they've got NOTHING on Norma & Juan. ;-) I actually watched a little of "Fuego en la Sangre" for the first time tonight & as much as I like both Eduardo Yañez & Adela Noriega, I just had to shake my head. I wish the show all the luck in the world & I'm sure it'll do well (I can appreciate the "Mexicanization" of the story), but in my mind there's just no competing with Danna & Mario in those roles they created. In fact, that goes for the rest of the cast as well. PDG is just too near & dear to my heart for any remake to overshadow it. But I will happily tune in to "FelS" now & again, just to see how it's going. And the recaps are hysterical!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder