Wednesday, June 18, 2008

La Traición, Tue. 6/17 - Dr. Dan finds out that's it's not a good idea to lie to Soledad and Hugo finds out that his brother has done him a favor


Hugo


Alcides

Antonia asks Soledad if she is sure that she lost her engagement ring. She says that it must have happened in the mine with Hugo and… She pauses and flashes back to when Hugo kissed her hand. Antonia says, “and Hugo what, Soledad?” Soledad says that there was a lot of confusion when they rescued Hugo in the mine and… Antonia says that it’s not a good sign. Soledad asks what she will tell Daniel. Antonia advises her to tell him the truth. He is an understanding man. Antonia repeats her statement that losing the ring is a bad sign. Apparently it means that the relationship won’t prosper. (We knew that already.)

Ursula and Boris finish kissing and she leaves. Boris finds what Marina left: a photograph of the day he married Marina. He wonders how it got there.

Hugo asks since when Arturo lost a… He gives Arturo back the glove and says that he didn’t know he had lost a hand. At that moment, Alcides shows up.
A: Little brother (hermanito), little brother. You’ve been getting into too much trouble with the law lately. I feel for you having to share a cell with this vermin.
H: What do you want, Alcides?
A: I came as soon as I heard you were here. It’s my defect as an attorney. I can’t stop litigating. I want you to tell me what you are charged with so I can get you out of here. (to Arturo) Tell me what villainy (‘fechoria’) you’ve done so I can sink you (‘undir’) deeper.
A: Sink me more. Wasn’t it enough that you left me one-handed (‘manco’)? (Alcides winks at Hugo.)

At Dr. Max’s, Dr. Dan is getting ready for his celebration with his goofy clown smile. He flashes back to when Soledad accepted him. He thinks to himself that no matter how much Soledad loves Hugo, he’ll win her over regardless of what it costs. (Good luck with that.) He says out loud that today is the beginning of their happiness.

At the cabaret, Margot has shown up in her bar girl outfit. She starts to put the moves on a cop. Antonia comes to the cabaret but she asks to leave early to attend a family celebration. Paquito is annoyed but he agrees saying that she has to remember that the show comes first. Then Antonia is accosted by Eloisa, who makes it clear that she recognizes Antonia.

Hugo is leaving the prison with Boris. He says that he didn’t expect to be released so soon. Boris says that Soledad didn’t file a complaint so they had nothing to hold him on. Alcides is in the police station. He says to Hugo that he was lucky this time. He advises Hugo to be careful. Judge Fernández has it in for him (‘te tiene ganas’).
H: I have to thank Soledad. In spite of everything, she still loves me.
A: Yes, by your good fortune, that is so (‘para tu fortuna así es’). See how love is: I would do anything for Soledad (‘cualquier locura’, literally, ‘any craziness.') except kidnap her, of course.
H: I don’t want to talk to you about that.’
A: You always said that I didn’t know the way to a woman’s heart. But this time you have to recognize that you were wrong.
H: (sighs) Alcides, I’m exhausted. Goodbye. (Hugo and Boris start to walk away.)
A: The little doctor can’t marry Soledad. (Hugo turns back to look at Alcides.) It’s the truth. Chirac is a married man.

The celebration is in full swing at the Obragon’s. Soledad looks like she is attending a funeral. Lucas is drinking water. Ester is the life of the party. She proposes a toast to the newly engaged couple. Ursula says to herself, “My poor little girl.” Everyone toasts to a future of happiness and peace. Dr. Dan asks why Soledad isn’t wearing her engagement ring. Before she can answer, one of the guards brings an urgent letter that has just been delivered for Soledad. She wonders who it can be from. Ursula suggests that it could be from Michelle and Ester thinks it might be a surprise from Dr. Dan. Soledad opens it. Everyone asks what it says. “You lied to me,” says Soledad to Dr. Dan. “It’s a marriage certificate. You are a married man.” Dr. Dan takes the document. Everyone asks what this means. Dr. Dan asks the guard about the person who delivered the note. The guard replies that it was brought by a boy who then ran away. “Daniel, please,” says Soledad, “Tell me that this marriage has been annulled. Tell me that this certificate is wrong. Please, you can’t let me down too.” (It looks like he can.)

Hugo, Boris and Alcides at the polices station-
H: What do you mean von Chirac is a married man?
A: What it sounds like: Chirac is married.
H: Where did you get this information?
A: That doesn’t matter. For your information, his wife is named Manuela Marin and they were married several years ago.
B: Excuse me for butting in, Don Hugo, but I don’t believe a single word of this.
H: von Chirac wouldn’t deceive Soledad this way. He wouldn’t get engaged to her knowing he was married.
A: Listen to me. von Chirac and Manuela may not live together but they are husband and wife under the law. They’re married.
H: You’re deceiving me, Alcides. This is another of your schemes.
A: Your eyes are gleaming, little brother. (‘Cómo te brillan los ojos, hermanito’) You’re hearing wedding bells (‘campanas de bodas’), right? This will benefit both of us. Now, more than ever, our race to conquer Soledad goes forward. Now there is only you and I. Just us again.

Eloisa says that she knows that George Wilde is really Antonia de Obragon. Eloisa says that she knows that under those clothes and mustache is the very conservative aunt of Eloisa’s best friend. She rips off Antonia’s moustache. Antonia runs out. Paquito comes in and asks Eloisa what she is doing. She says she isn’t doing anything but discovering his secret. She holds up the moustache. Paquito grabs it and goes after Antonia.

Margot continues to make the moves on a policeman. She wonders how she can get his boots off him.

Dr. Dan reminds Soledad that he had told her that he had been married. Soledad replies that she didn’t think he was still married. Lucas asks Dr. Dan to explain. “Before anything else,” says Dr. Dan, “I want ask your forgiveness. I never wanted to hurt you Soledad. This certificate has no importance to me.”
"If marriage isn’t important to you, it is for me,” says Soledad, “Did you think I was a woman you could deceive too? I thought you were a different class of man, Daniel.” Dr. Dan says that he is a different class of man. He loves and respects Soledad more than anything. “Then prove it to me,” says Soledad, “tell me that this paper has no validity.” “I can’t,” says Dr. Dan, “Legally I’m still married. I never divorced Manuela Marin.” Soledad is impactada, Ester and Lucas are weeping and Ursula looks pleased in an understated way.

Hugo and Alcides-
H: You took the time to find all this out about von Chirac?
A: I told you I’d get him out of our way. Now the fight to win Soledad’s love is between you and me, brother.
B: I still find this hard to believe.
H: I don’t think my brother is kidding (‘esté jugando’) about something this serious.
A: Well said, brother. Well said (‘bien dicho’). (Alcides applauds with his cane.) And you Boris, learn from your master. Hugo, I deserve some thanks, don’t you think?
H: (approaches Alcides) I never thought the day would come when I would have to thank you, brother. Thanks, Alcides.
A: So you have another reason to be grateful. Tell me. Tell me about the evidence against Arturo in the case against him for kidnapping my niece. I hope that creep rots in jail. Tell me.

Gladis goes to see Arturo and brings him some food. She says that he should get a lawyer. Arturo replies that Margot is going to get him out of prison faster than any lawyer. Gladis shakes her head.

At the cabaret, Margot tells the policeman that her greatest fantasy is to wear police boots.

Antonia is taking off her disguise. Paquito comes in and apologizes for Eloisa and says that she won’t say anything but the show has to continue. He begs her. Antonia says that George Wilde no longer exists and she won’t play the piano in this bar anymore. When Eloisa tells her family what she has been doing, they won’t forgive her. Paquito assures Antonia that Eloisa won’t say anything. He brings Eloisa in and asks her to tell Antonia that she won’t open her mouth. Eloisa says nothing.

Soledad tells Dr. Dan that she can’t believe it. He not only deceived her but her whole family. Dr. Dan asks that before she judges him, she listen to him first. He says that he could have gotten divorced. Not doing it wasn’t for lack of will. He just never returned to see his wife. (That explains everything - not) Ester asks how he could have deceived them all when she opened the doors of her house to him, etc. Dr. Dan asks Ester not to take it that way. He says that he was married (‘estaba casado’) to Manuela. “You are married (‘estás casado’) interrupts Soledad. Dr. Dan acknowledges the correct tense of the verb. Dr. Dan says that when he discovered that Manuela was betraying him with his best friend, his life was over. He was on the point of doing something crazy and that is why he ran away, very far away, to Africa where he worked as a doctor to lose the memory of that betrayal and never come back to Manuela. When he did return from Africa, Manuela had disappeared. He never returned to her from that day until now and that’s why he couldn’t get a divorce. Soledad says that she understands all that. What she doesn’t understand is why Dr. Dan was incapable of telling her that he was married. This is an outrage.

Hugo and Alcides:
H: The only proof we have are some footprints that were found in the place where the baby was left at the cabaña in the forest.
B: The judge made some drawings and compared them to those of Arturo de Linares. They are identical. Because of this, he was arrested while the investigation is onging.
H: But I’m convinced that this criminal was the person who took my daughter.
A: Fine. At least you know it wasn’t me, little brother.
H: Alcides, What did you do to Arturo? What is this about you cutting off his hand?
A: I didn’t cut off anything. He’s lying to you.
H: You tried to kill me. You let them bury me alive.
A: Look Hugo. I swear by the memory of our parents. I swear by the love I have for Soledad that I didn’t do it. He cut off his own hand. But if you prefer to believe that criminal who was capable of kidnapping your niece, go ahead. Tell me how you found the footprints.
B: We found them in the cabaña in the forest when we were moving Hugo’s things in there.
A: So you finally decided to accept my help.
H: I’ll pay you for it little by little
A: As you wish.
H: Brother, I have to leave. I have to get ready for my trip to find Michelle. Later.
A: No, no, no. You’re not going anywhere, Hugo.

Eloisa grudgingly says that she won’t tell anyone that Antonia is playing the piano in a bar. Paquito makes her swear. (I wouldn't depend on that.) “All fixed,” says Paquito, “Please. I need you. Get ready.” Antonia (who looks kind of like a werewolf with half her disguise on) says no. She goes back to saying that she is a respectable woman and won’t work in a den of iniquity like this. Paquito says that if she leaves, he will tell her family that she worked in his bar disguised as a man. He says that she can decide and leaves. Antonia starts putting cold cream on so we’re not sure what her decision is.

Soledad asks Dr. Dan if he was going start a relationship with her based on a lie. “You know the significance betrayal has for me, Daniel,” says Soledad, “if there was something that drew me to you it was that you were an honest man – what a huge disappointment.” Dr. Dan says that she is right. He has no excuse. Ester and Lucas ask Dr. Dan why he didn’t tell them about this before. Dr. Dan says that he never thought about it. For him, the marriage didn’t have any validity. It had been many years since he had thought about it up until he met Soledad. When he met Soledad, the memory was completely cleared from his heart. Soledad says that the marriage is a reality. Dr. Dan says that it’s a piece of paper. In his mind and in his heart, he is a completely free man. He hadn’t seen Manuela in more than two years. Ester says that he should have gotten a divorce from his wife. Dr. Dan says that after he was betrayed he didn’t think of engagements or marriage, he only wanted to kill himself until he met Soledad. Soledad (who is completely dry eyed during all this) says, “You don’t know me, Daniel. If you knew me, you would have told me the truth from the beginning. You’ve just opened an immense chasm between us. This celebration doesn’t make sense now. It’s over. I’m going to my room. Excuse me but I don’t feel well.” She leaves. Dr. Dan cries. (You blew it, buddy, big time.)

With Ursula in her room, Soledad says that she finds it hard to believe that after everything she did to convince herself to start a new life with Dr. Dan, she finds out that he is married. He lied to her all this time. He’s not divorced. She can’t believe it. Ursula asks if she ever asked him if he was divorced. Soledad says that isn’t something you ask. If he was courting her, he must have been divorced. It’s logical. Ursula asks how Soledad feels. Being lied to again must be very painful. Soledad says that she feels like she is being punished. It’s one lie after another and she is sick of it. She says that if it weren’t for her daughter, she would have left San Marino long ago.

S: When we were in the mine, Hugo asked me to take off Daniel’s engagement ring and I was tempted to do it but I didn’t. Hugo was going crazy. He kissed me and swore that he loves me. And I felt like dying. When I kissed him, every pore in my body wanted to be with him. His eyes. His scent. Everything … but I didn’t give in.
U: Enough, no more. I don’t like to see you like this.
S: I told him I couldn’t because I was engaged to another man. Even though my heart was telling me the opposite, Ursula. My heart yearned for him because not a single day has passed that I have stopped loving Hugo. That’s the truth.
U: Then do it. Listen to you heart. I hate seeing you like this (que a mí parte el alma,’ literally, ‘how it attacks my soul’). Say what you will, Hugo loves you like crazy. I know it.
S: But insanity isn’t enough for people who love one another. That’s why I decided to step aside to let Hugo find happiness with Michelle.
U: And you?
S: Nothing. What can I do?

Hugo and Alcides:
H: What is it?
A: I heard that Michelle Phillips sent you a letter saying that she was leaving you forever.
H: Brother, how do you know about that letter?
A: Because Soledad told me. There’s no point in your leaving. She lives so far away.
H: I don’t want her to suffer because of me.
A: Then she is in love with you?
H: Brother, I won’t discuss my private life with you.
A: I need you here, brother, to build a strong case against Arturo. To testify. I need you here.
H: I wasn’t a witness to anything. You have the footprints from the cabaña.
B: I’ll make sure they are not destroyed.
A: Fine. You know what you are doing. But if you leave now, you’ll stop Arturo from spending a long vacation in jail. I’m warning you.
H: Goodbye, brother. (Hugo and Boris leave.)
A: (Flashing back to when Michelle died.) If my brother finds out that Michelle never returned to her country, things could get very complicated.

Dr. Dan says that Soledad is right. There’s no reason to celebrate. He should leave. He hopes they can forgive him. Lucas tells him to find his wife right away and divorce her. People make mistakes. Lucas has made mistakes, serious mistakes. Ester says that she has made mistakes too but Dr. Dan is a good guy and didn’t mean to hurt Soledad. Dr. Dan says that he understands Soledad’s feelings. He should have told her that he wasn’t divorced when he started courting her. Ester says that he should give Soledad time. Soledad has a lot to think about. He leaves. Lucas asks where Antonia is.

Antonia is playing the piano at the cabaret. Manrique is impressed at her talent. The judge comes in. Margot sees that he is wearing military boots. If Margot can get his boot, Arturo won’t go to jail. She dumps the police officer for the judge.

Soledad and Ursula-

S: I don’t know how I was strong enough to resist the temptation to be with Hugo, Ursula. One of the reasons I stopped was Michelle. I don’t want to betray her friendship.
U: Michelle would never reproach you. She knows that Hugo loves you.
S: Do you think that obsession could be mistaken for love? How can I love a man who has hurt me so much, betrayed me, tortured me. A man I don’t trust. I don’t understand, Ursula. I feel that I love him. I feel that I hate him. Couldn’t that be an obsession? You’ve been a witness to this. I tried to get away from Hugo. I tried with all my strength even to the point of giving Daniel a chance because he is a good man and then he lies to me. He did the same thing to me that Hugo did when he was pretending to be Alcides.
U: But no one has done what that man did for you. He came to your house and kidnapped you for love. That seems so romantic to me. Don’t keep suffering. I know I don’t have much experience but you just said that love involves sacrifice. Don’t you think that love is also about forgiveness?
S: I would like to forgive him, Ursula, but I can’t. I’m afraid. I don’t know.
U: Hugo has changed a lot. He regrets everything that he did.
S: Hugo is for Michelle.
U: You know that’s not true.
S: I don’t know. I think.. I need to be alone. I have a lot to think about.
She leaves the room.

Lucas asks Ester where Antonia is and she gives him the millionaire piano lessons story. Lucas is ashamed that not only do his women have to work to support the household, they have to work at night. Soledad comes in and says that she needs some air to clear her head. Ester starts promoting Dr. Dan. He didn’t mean to hurt her. She should try and understand… Soledad asks who is going to understand her. She asks her mother not to interfere in her decisions. Soledad goes out on the porch, “Could it be that in spite of everything, I have to marry Daniel and leave San Marino to get you out of my life Hugo?” she says and flashes back to Antonia telling her that losing an engagement ring is a bad omen. “A bad omen,” she repeats. A hand on her shoulder, it’s Hugo. She asks what he is doing there. “I came to bring you this,” he says, “it’s your engagement ring from Daniel von Chirac.” The credits roll.

Tomorrow- Alcides pretends to be Hugo.

Labels:


Comments:
This story is getting really lame. Now Margot is going to steal the Judge’s boots. As if he does not know he has the same type of boots Arturo has.

As I said before Eloisa knows everything about everybody.

I hope the writers do not take the path of Soledad sleeping with Alcides. She always has been able to pick them apart. I hope it does not stop now. If now she does not know it is not Hugo I’ll know for sure the time spent following LT was time wasted.

It seems as if the writers ran out of ideas and they are using whatever comes to mind.

As we’ve seen before in LT nothing really makes sense. I know for sure at the end there’ll be a lot of unresolved issues.

I saw the previews for the novella replacing LT. The main character used to be married to Mario.
 

Thanks Jean! I might be in the minority but I still love this show, even if it is at times lame (in my experience we have to suffer through some level of lameness with every telenovela!). I'll miss it when it's over.

That being said, the extended impactado looks over every little thing and the accompanying music are getting a little tiresome!

I wonder what will finally make Soledad forgive Hugo so they can be together?
 

Hi Sue:
I think you said that you don't watch LT, you just read the recap. I thought this was a great episode. It was Hugo and Alcides. When they are together, it is just electric. Alcides playing his little games - he didn't cut off Arturo's hand but of course he doesn't explain how it was that Arturo did it to himself. Hugo suspicious and still not understanding this new Alcides but willing to thank him for what he did with Dr. Dan. A really extraordinary performance by Mario.

As for the rest, I don't disagree. On and on with Soledad and her doubts. I love Hugo; I hate Hugo. Whatever.

It was pretty devious of Hugo to bring Dr. Dan's engagement ring back to Soledad knowing that she just found out that Dr. Dan betrayed her. He's learning from Alcides.
 

Jean,

you are right I stopped watching LT long ago. Last week I read one your comments saying it had couple of more weeks, so I said to myself I'll watch the last two weeks.

So, my son and I are watching it. He's back from school for the Summer. Every night we watch together somenthing I like. Monday and Tuesday we watched LT. He is asking a lot of questions. The first night he didn't know there were two Marios. First he saw Alcides talking with Eloisa and then he saw Hugo being rescue. He was like "wait a minute, didn't we just saw this guy talking to that nother woman" So, I had to explain to him what was going on.

Going back to LT: you are right about Hugo. I wonder what his intentions are. Maybe he just wants to act dumb since Soledad doesn't know that he knows.
 

I just got back from my trip down south where there wasnnt any telemundo. I watched the episodes I missed on Telemudo, and I,m still swooning from Hugo snatching his woman up on that horse. And with such ease. I guess he couldn't be too skinny for this role it makes him constantly lifting about 105 lbs, all the time.



And I,m glad that "doctorcillo" is finally out of the way. But what is the significance of Francisco's dancer being killed? I missed that. Could she be Daniel's wife?

I'm anxious to see how they are going to wrap everything up. Is Alcides going to die, or rot in jail, Will Eloisa and Francisco both be killed by greed, and I just know that there is something special peice of the puzzle that Marina holds. She knows too many secrets.
 

I read the recap first & didn't get too excited about the episode, but I felt the actors did a really exceptional job & I actually enjoyed it very much.

Nice scenes with Alcides & Hugo. I laughed too, Jean, at Alcides' protestations of innocence in the loss of Arturo's hand. Just another nail in the coffin of his new image, I guess. I gasped a little when he told Hugo that it was Soledad who told him about the supposed letter from Michelle. I don't remember this really happening. Did it? With that being so easy to disprove if untrue, I gotta believe that's going to come back to bite him in the backside pretty quickly.

I thought Ismael de la Rosa really had a great moment as the crushed Daniel. I've always liked Dr. Dan & it broke my heart to see him distraught to tears. His earlier shirtless shot was rather nice also. ;-) Whatever ab work Mr. DLR does, it sure works for him.

I laughed at Manrique's appreciation of the piano player at the cabaret; he just doesn't seem the sophisticated type. Thinking of him coming to the cabaret for the music kind of sounds like guys that say they read Playboy for the articles.

Esther never ceases to amaze me with her schizophrenic compassion. Daniel omits the whopping detail of an estranged wife but she urges Soledad not to be too hard on him. At least it FINALLY got Soledad to the point of verbally warning Esther to back off. Better late than never, I guess...

Based on clips & the current story swing, I'm eagerly awaiting the introduction of Dr. Dan's wife and Eloisa's demise (my speculation here). We'll see happens.
 

Hi Marie Celeste: No, Soledad has barely spoken to Alcides much less about the letter from Michelle. Alcides is desperate to keep Hugo from going after Michelle so he tried to use the letter and you are right. One question from Hugo to Soledad, who do speak often, will blow apart Alcides' credibility right away.

I guess I don't see why we need Dr. Dan's wife to show up. Isn't the damage done?
 

Hi all I have to say I have yet to get tired of LT. Or maybe it's I haven't gotten tired of Mario. By the way has anyone else seen the preview clip fo the finale episodes, caught it last night while I was channel surfing, some spoilers here, Marina gets what is comming to her at the hands of A and I don't mean Hugo's brother, Dr D and Alcides have a battle of whips and guns. As for Hugo bringing the ring back to Soledad maby he is learing form being a blacksmith "you have to strike while the iron is hot" Punn intended.
Caroline
 

Jean: You're right about the damage already done to Daniel's chances with Soledad. I just have a hunch the wife character will show up for a few reasons:

1) The promo clip I've mentioned that has Daniel in a very passionate scene with a yet unidentified female.

2) Telenovelas sometimes do bring in new characters ridiculously late in the story. Lucas' statement, "Go and find your wife and get divorced immediately", together with item #1 suggest to me that we may see this wife yet.

And 3) If the wife does show up, my hunch is she and her lover have parted, she's now repentant & decides she wants Daniel back. Daniel discovers & struggles against revived feeling for her, thus injecting a new love conflict into the story. We know he won't end up with Soledad, so he decides to give the wife another chance. The reprise of this old love provides his sympathetic character a way to exit the story without being emotionally devastated, and it could serve as the model Soledad needs to allow herself to forgive Hugo's transgressions.

And then again, maybe I just think too much. :-D
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder