Monday, June 23, 2008

Vocabulary from Juan Querendón - the Godmother of all lists

Ahoy all!

We all know by now that this recapping business is truly a team effort. When I say team I mean not only recappers but commenters as well. It is the group dynamics and the feedback from commenters that keep the recappers refreshed and excited. This group dynamics thing reached a fevered pitch with those of us who were recapping Juan Querendón. JQ was not the most popular telenovela, but it had something that was strangely and delightfully unique among telenovelas...the slang and interesting vocabulary was non-stop and it never, ever lagged or diminished.

We recappers started adding fun words, phrases and dichos at the end of our recaps, a few of us dutifully kept lists and posted them from time to time, and I recorded them all on word documents (very silly I know). I found myself with several lists full of vocabulary in no particular order and no way to sort them.

Then, back in January, I was contacted by one of our long-time commenters Mano Derecha and she volunteered to take all the vocabulary entries and transcribe them to a spreadsheet so they could be alphabetized and sorted in any way we liked. Mano Derecha transcribed over 400 entries onto a spreadsheet for us!! She will pooh-pooh her contribution but I can only imagine the hours she spent on it and we are eternally grateful to her.

Currently I have the list sorted alphabetically by Spanish entry. It can also be sorted by Subject (like animal, food, etc. because sometimes I can only remember that the dicho is about a monkey or a donkey), and by Style (such as verb, saying, interjection and insult). These are perhaps not the best ways to sort but it works for me. The list isn't perfect but it's pretty darn good!

Obviously the list, at just over 800 entries, is too long to post so I offer you two options:
1) Here is a link to a google document that you can review at your leisure: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pmqPe-vXXq9I5YGT85o4OAg

2) I don't think I can include an excel spreadsheet in a post so if anyone wants the spreadsheet itself I'm happy to email it to you. I set up a gmail account just for this purpose so shoot me an email and I'll send the spreadsheet to you: capitanasharkbait@gmail.com

A million thanks to Juan Querendón recappers Cheryl, JudyB, Susana, Kris, Schoolmarm Jeanne, Maricruz, Amanda, Lucy and Melinama. Gosh I hope I'm not forgetting an early recapper or guest recapper; if I am my deepest apologies. Finally a huge heap of gratitude to commenter Mano Derecho whose hard work was the catalyst for creating and managing our list. She is a true Corazón de melón!

Labels: ,


Comments:
Wow, that is awesome, thanks! It's fun reading, let alone useful.
 

wow! awesome work gang! you all deserve a huge round of applause for all the work on recapping and keeping track of all the new vocabulary words and definitions. big thanks to manu for putting it all together in a spreadsheet electronic dictionary.

BRAVO!

Jody :)
 

Well, I've said it before...but it bears repeating...Sylvia and Mano Derecha are my heroes...they did a fabulous job on this.

What seemes like centuries ago, when I found this site, I would always look for Sylvia's recaps because I knew she'd add a vocabulary list at the end and I was frantically trying to learn Spanish.

Thanks so much, you two are the greatest.
 

Thank you! Very interesting spreadsheet!
I am going to share with friends!
 

Unbelievable! Thanks for the great work.
Now I remember that one of the reasons that I didn't stay with Querendon was too much of the slang.
But I can do my lessons now and get ready for the next one similar to JQ( it will be there, I don't have any doubts!).

Anyway - Great Job!


Eve from Cleveland
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder