Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Fuego, Wed., Oct. 22: It just goes to show you that losing your mind can be healthy, remedial, and productive.

Buenas noches a todos.

It’s been two weeks since I’ve watched this god-forsaken show, and I’m just not the same; I almost completely regained my sanity.

It does my heart good to see little Sofia moseying around town with her “Se Busca” fliers. I won’t even comment on how they were produced in a town with no ink cartridges. To her demise, nobody’s seen the guy. I think I saw some people grin when they found out Juan was missing. Then the one old guy breaks it to her softly: Sofia—Juan’s been gone for what seems like weeks (though it’s difficult to say because nobody around here has grasped the concept of time) and he’s not comin’ back. I swear to the Virgin, nobody’s seen your daughter or Juan. What does Sofia do? She crouches down in agony and constipation and clinches her teeth: (to the Virgin) you’re a mother, so help me find my daughter. We’ve seen this so many times I should write it down, produce it en mase, and distribute “Sofia’s Prayer” to all my Catholic friends and neighbors.

Oh my God. I can seriously say (not without a smile, though) that I never expected our little Juan to become a health-care seminar leader and motivational speaker. I’m telling you; it was the water and the tight jeans that really characterized the former Juan. Think “Rocky” locker-room pep-talk meets Dr. Phil: We must maintain our health and listen to every word the lady doctor says. But the witch doctor says she’s evil. Screw him! says Juan—he couldn’t even cure that one girl. Not true; it’s the girl doctor’s fault. Nope. Juan is one of us, he respects our tribal customs, says a man who is definitely not an indigenous person. Yeah right says Witch Doctor. Well, you know the laws of the tribe; now you must fight. If you don’t accept, you’ll have to leave and never come back (doesn’t give the guy much of an option). Gee, I think I played a similar game when I was eight years old, and even then I thought it was stupid. Just goes to show you that living in huts in the middle of forests was and continues to be detrimental to modern humanity.

Speaking of adolescent games, it’s tea time at Gramps’s tree house and Sofia explains that Fernie has become even more ambitious, if that’s possible, since he has become Gabi’s sole heir. I’m really worried about Mom, says Sofia. Since when does she give a rat’s patooty about her mother? Then she tells Gramps that Damian has been like an angel sent from Heaven above. Who’s Damian Ferrer? Oh, look, there he is now! I had so much respect for him until he saluted Gramps. I’m telling you, it’s the water. Anyway, he tells Gramps that he raises horses, always tells the truth, and is in love with Sofia. Puh-lease, that’s like the oldest line in the book. But, you know Gramps, who pretty much wrote that book. Naturally, Gramps is impressed, Sofia’s embarrassed, and Damian’s relieved. Do you know the story of Sofia? Please don’t tell it—we hear about it every night. Gramps relates that Sofia WAS in love with Juan Reyes. Thank God, Damian stops him, and says he, like us, knows all about it.

Ding, ding, ding. And in this corner, weighing in at 275 lbs. (all bark and no bite, oh, wait, that’s the dog show) Juan R-r-r-reyes! You have to win Juan; my dying daughter depends on it. No pressure, no pressure. And in the other corner, weighing in at 150 lbs. (he’s got a bandana, and no shirt—what else can I say? He just looks tough) The Wi-wi-wi-witch Doctor! Of course, tribal law dictates that we can’t start until the master of ceremonies flings some smelly stuff onto the dirt fighting grounds. Juan, tapping into his machismo side, takes off his shirt as well, but you never turn your back to the storm! Just then, WD attacks like a ragging little bull, jumps on Juan’s back, and goes for the eyes—just like in tae-kwon-do classes. They both fall back, but WD gets up and kicks Juan where it counts a few times. Juan tries to get up, but he can’t see! WD punches him some more, and then raises his arms in victory. It’s all over folks! But wait, there’s a bucket of water, which replenishes Juan’s thirst and heals his blindness. Now the triumphant music plays and Juan punches WD square in the face. He picks him up and defiantly delivers him to two bystanders. As the WD stands there, Juan declares his defeat and tells them that everyone has to be vaccinated. All told, the WD put up a better fight and delivered more blows, but you know me, the eternal cynic. Now the mayoral figure will symbolically lead the effort by vaccinating himself first. Woohoo for making strides toward civilization.

Fernie is basically ripping all the ranch workers new asses. Why did you let them go, they were at the point of provoking a tragedy. They claim that they acted in the best interest of the girls. I really have no clue what they’re talking about. To say that Fernie is berserk is an understatement, so just imagine his fury when he tells his workers to get water to his ranch come Hell or high water. You gotta love the pathetic extra who smirks when Fernie has his tantrums.

So, is it any surprise that Gramps loves Damian? However, he tells the kid close, but no cigar; he’s too late and won’t be able to conquer Sofia’s heart. Gramps, you know that I only think about my daughter, says Sofia. Not to worry, I’m not a man who gives up easily, says Damian. It’s moments like these that make me want to rewrite and therefore revolutionize Mexican telenovelas. Gramps insists that he get to know Damian, because y’all know what happened when they didn’t get to know Fernie the last time love was in the air. Well, that was sort of the point…

Things are going smashingly well with the vaccinations. This scene evokes so many questions: with what is she injecting them, are the needles sterile, how did she obtain the vaccinations, who paid for them, etc., etc.

Why does this Nestor Miranda character always play the doctor in everything? It’s as old as, well, this telenovela. Anyway, Gabi is sure to remind him that Sofia is a false, conniving, calculating bitch who tries to get everyone on her side. This reminds me of someone else we know. But the doctor doesn’t buy it and tells her that she’s wrong, and Sofia really cares for her mother, so take that. No! She deceived you, just like everyone else. Nestor gives Gabi a little sermon about loving her children, and you know the story by heart, inside out, and upside down.

Oh, God, don’t tell me that Jimena is pulling a Hugo (ADCLS). Granted, I’ve missed a lot, but that’s just low even for her. Anyway, she was up and about one second, and then she uses her “illness” as a pretext to manipulate poor Eva’s fragile, fragile feelings. Bitch. As Eva is street walking down Memory Lane Jimena cries and jerks her head some; nobody in a coma moves that much, nobody. Now that she’s blown her cover she hugs Eva and apologizes; I have no earthly idea why. Why is it that every time I watch this damn show Eva, Jimena, and Sarita are ALWAYS crying, hugging, and asking each other for forgiveness?

So it’s obvious that you’re cultured, you’ve traveled the world, you’re smart, handsome, and well-behaved says Gramps to Damian (who reminds me of myself). Then the question we all ask ourselves: why the hell did you come to live here? The answer: he lost his wife and kids, and it’s been nearly impossible to start over again. I’ve never lost my wife and kids (nor do I have any), but if I did, I probably wouldn’t move to remote regions of Mexico in order to start anew.

Gabi hassles Nestor (that’s not his name, but a rose by any other name smells as sweet) about playing into the hands of Sofia. Well, ma’am, in my long, successful career as a cardiologist, I’ve seen cases where people think they have heart conditions, when really they have problems with their souls. But this doesn’t move Gabi, and she sure as hell doesn’t need his services. One last diagnose: you’re selfish, and manipulative, but if you ever want to change, look me up. He’s full of clichés, isn’t he? I swear I’ll never look you up, even if I’m dying. Sofia Sofia! You always turn people against me; damn you!

Sofia’s and Damian’s leisure walk is interrupted by Pablito, who tells Sofia that Capricho has gone missing again—can no one get the damn horse a leash?—and he probably went looking for Juan. There’s a better chance that Capricho falls down the well and Juan finds him, than Capricho finding Juan.

You know, I’ve always loved and admired Juan for his ethereal ability to bounce back and roll with the punches. Sure he was blinded, kicked around, and beat-up, but you’d never know it. Maybe it’s that vaccine, which leads me to another question… Oh boy, so Juan tells his assistant, who for all we know could be a doctor too, that all he could think about was the one guy’s “niña.” Juan then asks himself why he feels connected to her; who is she? Well, I’ll say this much; her name is “mi niña” and your script writers made it a special point to question her existence.

So Sofia has it in her pretty little head that Capricho is missing because Juan came back for him, and Franco and Oscar are complicit in Juan’s crime of stealing his own daughter. I’m gonna say this: it’s traumatizing enough to lose your baby fresh out of the womb, so why the hell aren’t local authorities, for lack of a better term, doing all they can to find the baby? Hell, when a local police officer kidnapped (and later killed) a pregnant mother of 8 months in my suburban community, every relief organization and representatives from the FBI were looking for the kid until they found her. I guess reality just doesn’t sell—it’s not sexy.

So Capricho is trying to take Juan home, but Juan has no clue what’s going on, and pulls the horse by its snout in the opposite direction. It’s odd that when the horse wants something he has no problem articulating his desires, but when Juan wants something, the horse is as stupid as a horse.

Damian tells Sofia that he really admires her, and will stand by her side for the long haul. It’s painfully obvious that he’s been watching too many telenovelas.

Now Pablito is Juanito, that is, he’s the head baker, and wants to bake Sofia something that will never let her forget about Juan. Isn’t it funny that in his old life, Juan didn’t give two shits about hygiene in the kitchen, but now he wants to vaccinate everyone. Just goes to show you that losing your mind, literally, can be healthy and productive.

Comment: the extras/indigenous tribe people are laughably pathetic. Remember that Juan can’t do anything without brute force, so how the hell are these people not fazed whatsoever by the injections? I’m just saying, if you’re gonna show close-ups on their faces, they should at conceal their smiling countenances.

So apparently the doctorcita is sick with whatever everyone else had, and she really needs the injection. If you were the doctor giving everyone the injections, and you knew there was a plague going around, wouldn’t you give yourself the injection before you reached the brink of death? Well, the point is, she didn’t, and the one guy comes in for revenge and a quickie, and then throws all her medications on the floor. They were still in their boxes, so that doesn’t mean you can’t still save yourself honey. Whatever…

Gramps catches Fernie stealing, yet again, and Fernie denies it. He must be a very confused individual because his interior monologue tells him that he is stealing, but he tells everyone on the outside that he’s not stealing.

So Gabi is sitting in front of a mirror and hyperventilating. She flashes back to her times in the graveyard/pit when she couldn’t get out. She wants to thank the person who came up to her and told her it would be okay. Whatever it takes to heal…
Then, Gramps accuses Fernie of setting up the burry-Gabi-alive ordeal, and tells Gabi that Fernie arranged it all better than Napoleon or Alexander the Great could have done. Like I said, I missed two weeks, so I assume this is why she was “ill.” Of course, Gabi doesn’t believe a word and apologizes to Fernie. But then again, she wants to talk to Fernie seriously. That will never happen…

How cute, Pablito made Sofia a little “S” cookie. Sofia immediately thinks it was Juan, and holds the cookie as if it were Juan’s own heart. Then she takes a sensual bite and remembers their first kiss, their first sexual experiences, and we’ll save the rest for cable. I wish my cookies would evoke such passion. “Juan’s back!” Not quite, honey…

Tomorrow: Damian tells Franco and Oscar that he isn’t there to create hate and animosity, and furthermore, he is prepared to marry Sofia. Well, they’re not too happy about Damian moving in on their brother’s gal, so they resent Damian. Hot diggity, doesn’t this description get you hot and bothered and jazzed for another episode?

Labels:


Comments:
I'm glad you didn't totally regain your sanity. It'd just get in the way.
 

Hi Nicco, ripping good recap...after two weeks away, can you tell if the plot has advanced any? I swear it's been on spin cycle.
Good point about the wanted posters--Wow, someone in Cd Serdan has a computer! And, notice when Sufria was in the market asking if anyone had seen Juan, she described him in detail to each person (tall, strong, and with a BIIIG hat). Like everyone wouldn't know Baker Juan in that little town. Sheesh.
"Creemelo"
 

HAH!
 

Oh Nicholas we've missed you but I'm happy you got some needed time off from this mess. Best wishes with school.
 

Thanks for the 'recrap' Nico! Another night of FFWDing through most of the tears, fears and jeers.

I kind of liked the scene when Jimena 'woke up' for Eva and they all forgave Eva and had the ... group hug. I know. Same-old, same-old, but it was something different for a change. ;-)

Nice to see Mariachi last night. I'm sure he was thought bubbling,"If I wasn't tied to this leash I could find Obi-Juan-Kenobe!

I don't get how a vaccination would cure the illness once it sets in.
but then I'm not sure how or why Dra. Horndog is sick. Where's my beanie hat????!?

***Did Google change their format here? As of yesterday, the post-a-comment area looks waaay different.***

doris
 

Nic: Thanks for the recap. You have made my day. Good ole Sofia repeatedly draws inferences from supposed facts and then comes to some off-the-wall conclusion. If Capricho is gone, then Juan must have come for him. If I find an "S" cake, Juan must have come back and baked it for me. If the baby is gone, Juan must have taken it. Yikes!

If Damian wasn't so pretty, he'd be hard to take, too. The only thing that seems to have advanced is that Jimena and Sarita have forgiven Eva, and that Damian has let gramps and Sofia know that he's fallen in love with her, etc. What the hell? A near-death experience hasn't changed Gabi - she's just her old sweet self. Amen
 

Aye caramba! Nicolas: yes, you missed absolutely nada. We are stuck on a "rinse/repeat" cycle. But we do thank you heartily for your recrap (oh, you did miss that...recap has been renamed to more adequately reflect the high standards of the show). Great snark, as always! But I must warn you: you can NEVER make fun of the horses. Nunca! Nunca! Nunca! (like FELs, repetition is necessary to make sure everyone gets it) The horses are about the only thing keeping me 1/2 interested in this sh!t show.

How lame was the fight scene with Diaper Dude & the Incredible Hulk? Pul-leeeeeze. Yeah, that was really exciting stuff.

Snowfia as the Black Widow who is channeling the finer aspects of Crabi's personality...blech. And Damian wants her? Blech. And the cookie/flashback sex scene? Yeah, had me all warm & fuzzy, just wishing you 2 lovebirds were back in the sack again. Blech.

Quick survey for the gang: which character do you REALLY care about? Animal/vegetable/mineral/human...doesn't matter...I'm just curious.

Maggarita
:->
 

Survey input in descending order: Mariachi, the liitle pup that 'saved' Padre Tadeo, Capricho. The human characters have all worn thin and are stuck with rearranging the same dialogue rather than coming up with something new. I missed last night, but just knew that the preview showing Tarzjuan on Capricho would not end with his return.

Abuelo P
 

Thanks for the recap Nic. You haven't missed much.

Can someone explain what was going on in Feo's office with the workers. I just couldn't follow it. They dug the hole like he wanted so I'm not sure what the problem was.

The only characters I really care about are Pablito, Capricho, and Mariachi.
 

Well I haven't watched all week and by recapping the recaps I see I haven't missed much...
 

reading the recaps... I can't even think!
 

Which character I care about most? How about Silvestre? He seems like a reasonable guy who didn't deserve to get pulled into this mess. :)
 

My fav. would probably be extra # 116, a.k.a. the indigenous woman who sort of smiled when Juan jabbed her with the injection needle.
 

Hola Nicolás. You didn't miss the show but we missed you! Glad to have you back. My favorite character is the Padre 'cause I'm a sucker for forbidden fruit. And he's not featured enough for us to be thoroughly sick of him.

Does anyone else worry about Nestor's (cardiac doctor) horribly furrowed brow? Normally I'm against Botox but it just hurts to look at it!

Thanks for the laughs, joven.
 

Thanks, Judy, I'm glad to be back.
 

Nic, you crack me up! Extra #116...too freakin' funny!

Survey says: we care most about those who get the least amount of screen time and have limited dialogue. Hmmmm...sensing a trend here, even though survey is incomplete.

Regards,
The Quinnipiac University Poll Institute

;-)
 

Nic, Nic, Nic
Hola Hijo...
So proud, so proud of you. Yes Mommy cares & I will start sending money soon. I promise.

Now then don't you just love "All Sofie All the Time?"
Honestly I did feel a bit sorry for Sofie when she got the Sofie Pan. I too would have thought it was Juan, afterall surely no one else could be a big enough tool to bake a 5000 calorie Sofie pan. Alas the wan, anemic, lip licking mourning clothed Sofie took only a nibble before we got to see, reams of rehash. Jeez, at least a thire of these damn things are rehash. Did Sofie not notice the salt content was much lower, plus the didn't have to try and pull any annoying hair off her tongue after nibbling?

Juan grow your beard..your head is way too big. We know it isn't your brain. It must be like a single piece of canned pear floating in a huge bowl of red jello.
 

Sorry I meant 1/3 of show is rehash & she didn't have to pull hair off tongue
 

Hi there and thanks for all the great recap and interpretation!

I've only been watching Fuego for a couple of months (so obviously not a lot has happened), but can anyone give me a supershort historical snapshot of where Fernando came from? How did he surface as the savior of Sofia's virtue after she was raped? He doesn't seem to have any family or other connections.

Also, is Damian supposed to be bullfighter?

Renee
 

Thanks, Nicolas. That fight between Mighty Joe Juan and the puny little Witch Doctor was just sad. Juan was channeling The Rock, and I was hoping he'd spin WD around like a top...but ...no. It was unrealistic for WD to get one good punch in let alone the several he delivered...whatever....I'm surprised the writers didn't have him pull a Mike Tyson and bite Juan's earlobe off. Capricio wants to go home , Juan, so just climb on and let him take you there. You are never going to give in to Hotlips , so why don't you just wander back to Mexidoon . Wait until you see that the Dancing Star is putting the moves on Your Nina....Damien, you have some 'splainin to do .
 

Oh Mama, I've waited all my 17 years to finally hear you say those words to me. I'm so glad you've returned from your twenty-year estranged trip to Italy where you barely changed your name and married for the money. I'm proud of you too. Loved, loved, loved the canned pear analogy.
 

Hi Renee, first let me say that your are one of the lucky ones who didn't have to start watching this telenovela from the beginning. Now, Fernie's past is pretty mysterioius; however, we know that he worked on ranches prior to shacking-up with the Elizondos. One day Sofia was walking in the forest and Fernie raped her. Except, no one knew, which was ridiculous in itself, and Gabi forced Sofia to marry Fernie--mostly because Gabi had the hots for Fernie, though we didn't know it at the time. As the wise Gramps once said; "there's so much you don't know in the beginning."
 

I also liked the scene of Silvestre on the donkey, although it was a good thing Juan wasn't riding the donkey, because that donkey wasn't very big.

And I wonder how Juan is going to save Dra. this time, since he's miles away, and she's too weak to defend herself. Of course, isn't slimeball skinny guy worried about catching her disease if he has his way with her?

I'm also waiting for the tribe to be discovered by Padre Tadeo or Sofia and taught the "proper" religion. Probably won't happen, but I'd like to see a face off between Padre Tadeo and the Medicine Man.
 

Connie, Feo was reaming the workers for having dug the pozo (well) in the back yard that Crabi fell into. Even though, as Abuelo meticulously explained, he'd set the whole thing up, having some work done at the front door so she'd use the back door. Not telling her about the big hole in the ground. BUT, in a totally Kafkaesque moment, he blames the whole thing on the "inutiles" or useless, good for nothing workers. Tells them he really ought to fire them, even though they followed his instructions to the letter.
 

What I really found amazing about the well was that there was a nice soft patch of lush green grass at the bottom of it.
 

Why was Fer allowed to marry into the family?

Survey says...ding ding ding

He was the only non family male in Mexidoom that could eat with a fork.
 

Nic, I don't know how you and the other Fuego recappers continually manage to make the summaries so funny and entertaining when you have absolutely nothing to work with. I really enjoyed the show at first, but the downward spiral of nonsensical material has continued way too long. All of you have my respect and appreciation for finding the humor out of the the mess the writers have made of this. I keep watching because I really would like to see the baby, although who knows who old she will be if and when we finally do. Diana in MA.
 

Thanks Novelera. That's what I thought but it seemed more of a big deal that it really was. He's just such a slimeball. I'm surprised he didn't just pick her up and dump her in. Ok, so we have another new poll: What is the next method that Feo will use in his attempt to kill Crabi? The sleepy time tea perhaps? Hmmmmm...
 

Its like, Fuego Clue. Feo did it in the Conservatory with the Sophia bread. Feo did it in the Lounge with G-pas cast iron army man toy. Feo did it in the Billard Room with Juans sweat filled do-rag! And of course there are secret passage ways all over the Clue board so he always gets away with it!
 

Omigosh Molly I love Clue! The Doctora did it in the Jungle with the...hmmm, what DID she use?
Anyway, I was peeved when Damian stepped up to the Reyez Broz and said "I won't let you speak disrespectfully about the woman I love."
I'm thinking Hey! She was speaking disrespectfully about the Juan, how is that okay? Gotta Go,
"Creemelo"
 

Demian needs to get a grip. He barely knows the freak in black and all she ever does is wipe her snotty nose all over his clothes! How can you be in love with her, she won't even let you kiss her? And she gets completely hot and bothered over a freak'n piece of bread! Jeez!

Oscar did it in Jimena's room with the...oh wait, that really happened!
 

Nicolas, thanks for the Fernando back-story. Sofia has a bad habit of not seeing the people involved in pivotal moments of her life involving her private parts - her rapist, her hija, pretty strange.

The other night when Gabi was saved from the pit and Sofia wanted to consult her cardiologist in Puebla, I thought for a moment the writers might have to give in and allow there to be a telephone in the hacienda somewhere. But no, in an amazing bit of continuity, they stuck to the no-phone-zone policy and sent Sofia to find Rosendo, who now has to drive to Puebla, and perhaps call the doctor from a pay phone once he gets there. What if someone really were having a heart attack? That two-hour lag time to get the cardiologist in could really be a negative.

Renee
 

Renee, if they are supposed to be hardcore Catholic, there is a good change she has never seen them either!
 

no phone zone --- love it!!

Julie said...What I really found amazing about the well was that there was a nice soft patch of lush green grass at the bottom of it.
Don't you JUST love it??? ROFLOL Monkey writers!!! Send them some bananas!!!

NICO- good synopsis in a nutshell for Renee. Actually, IMO this novela started out really well and went downhill after a couple of months. Now we're stuck in the mud.

doris
 

Um, that was supposed to be "chance" and I meant her privates parts not the people.
 

Nic, thanks for a great recap of another lame episode. Welcome back home (FELS), where nothing ever changes.
I had hopes of great scene when the Juan v. the WD fight started, but it did sort of fizzle out at the end.
Why was Silvestre swabbing arms and Juan working the needle, instead of the other way around. He was really stabbing those people with some vicious force.
My favorite characters? Capricho, Mariachi, Pablito, Rigo, and sometimes Quintina. Also the Reyes Robles hacienda building.
Beckster, you completely cracked me up with the image of the single pear half floating in jello.
La Paloma
 

For some reason, I'm craving a canned food dessert.

Oh look, the old comment form is back. Yeesh. I'm getting dizzy.
 

Yes, that sure was weird. Took me WAY too long to post my comment earlier today.
 

julie & novelera --- It's the forces of Mexidoom! Aaack!

doris
 

Glad that Juan had time to receive a license to give injections while he evaded the attacks of Porn Dude, Diaper Dude and Hot Doc. He needs to retake the section on administering injections....do not use ham fisted jabs. Did Hot Doc neglect to give herself a vaccination...very smart. Will Dr. Dad come to rescue his daughter and thus Juan too? Capricho, the best detective in Cd Serdan, isn't having much luck with getting Juan back to civilization or what can be called civilization.. Damien looks good in his hat even though it is not like Juan's BIIIG hat. Thank you, Nicolas, for a very funny recrap. G in CA
 

Thanks Nicolas for the fun recap. And thanks to your snarkMom Beckster for the pear in red jello image. I'll think of that for a long time when Juan appears.
 

My mom used to make that jello. :-}
 

Maybe that's why Sofia can't fall for Damien - Juan has a bigger .... hat.
 

I believe the writing staff is on hiatus and the actors and film crew were told. "Just Rehash while were gone" "Adela , we've left a gallon of glycerin in your dressing room, use it."
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder