Friday, December 05, 2008

Cuidado Thursday, December 04, 2008: The farm, the funny farm. Sometimes it’s hard to tell them apart.

Leftovers: The padre is leaving the hacienda, or whatever it is. The judge is asking JM where Marichuy is – JM doesn’t know. The judge thinks he’s hidden her away in a love nest. JM says they’ve broken up. Mari is looking at the stuffed leopard, El L. pads up quietly (he’s proud of this skill) and startles her.

New: She wants to know why he’s called El L., is it because he attacks others? He says leopards get a bad rap, and besides his nickname is a nickname like any other. She says why do you let people call you that? He glowers.

The judge is telling Ceci that JM doesn’t know where Mari is either. Ceci says no puede ser! Someone must know. She’s going to ask Padre Anselmo. The judge says you know I support you in everything. (Ha!) Ceci thoughtbubbles about sweet times with Mari. (I like that in this show, thoughtbubbles are actually round.)

At the hacienda, Mari says why are all these animals in here? She gets up her nerve and, talking in a rush, asks if it was him making all that noise outside late at night. El L. interrupts and says, wow – listen to the way you talk! Mari says I’ve always talked like that. He gets cranky and says he doesn’t like personal questions and what is she doing in his living room, anyway? He says I told Micaela you could stay as long as you didn’t bother me, and I like quiet. It’s best you steer clear of me. I don’t want to be rude, but I like my solitude.

Cande is in their room. She has lit a candle and is thanking the virgin. Mari runs in and says she’s seen the owner and he’s scary and they call him The Leopard. Cande says I should have told you, when we were cooking in the kitchen they told me we should stay away from him. They discuss this and they note how serious a guy he is.

Ceci goes to the church and asks Padre M. where is Mari?

Mari is gathering eggs with Micaela at the big chicken coops. Cande looks on and jokes that she has asthma, so she can’t help. A groom is saddling a horse and asks Mari if she’d like to ride. She says what a big animal, she’d fall off. The groom offers to teach her, but she demurs. Micaela tells him to quit fooling with the horse and get ready to go into town. Cande looks thoughtful. She tells the guy to wait up a bit.

Ceci tells the padre about going to Mari’s apartment and not finding her, and says that he must know where she is.

Mari asks Michaela if Cosme is going to the DF. She says yes, he goes for a couple of days off every two weeks, he has family there, his wife, his sons, his grandson. Mari’s worried he might tell somebody that they’re there, but Micaela says he doesn’t know your friends. Cande says sometimes life has such strange coincidences, and she gives a six degrees of separation speech. Mari says let’s change our names, then nobody will find out.

Ceci tells the padre she’s sure he had something to do with Mari’s disappearance and that he knows where she is. She pleads with him and he says yes, he does know, but he can’t tell. She gets tearful and says I’m her mama! You told her about that, didn’t you? The padre says I told her I found her parents, but she didn’t want to know who they are. Ceci agonizes.

Micaela shows Mari how to milk a cow. (If she’s the head housekeeper and there’s staff, why does Micaela have to milk cows?) Cande comes up and they talk about new names. Cande chooses Lalaaaaaa, which is what she was called when she was little.

Mari asks Micaela why the owner is called El Leopardo. The music gets serious. Micaela says I don’t know. Mari says leopards are dangerous. Micaela says he’s okay…. but I’ll confess there are times he scares me. See? whispers Mari to Candi.

The padre tells Ceci that Mari said it’s too late, she doesn’t need parents now. Ceci sobs and the padre says he’s sorry. She says can you tell me why she left? He says I can’t tell you that either. Ceci says are you making me suffer because of Mari’s hard past? He says no, I feel for you and I’d love to relieve your suffering, but I can’t. I made a promise. I can tell you she’s fine and she’s in a safe place.

Mari happily rides her bike by the water, the dove in the basket. She lies on the grass and plays with the dove some more.

Now we’re at the psychiatric hospital, out in the garden. Viv is staring into space, and Onelia is behind her, combing her hair, then rubbing her arms. She tells Viv she wouldn’t believe things that happened after she disappeared – JM’s marriage to that common Mari, the one who brought laundry. Close-up of Viv’s red-rimmed, vacant eyes. Is she registering anything? Or is she really a great faker?

The nanny and Mayita are sitting at a table outside. Mayita seems to have taken to her. Mayita is explaining where she got Cuate and has to explain who Stef is (the lady who was going to marry my father) and who Mari is (the lady who did marry my father). Mayita explains that her mother isn’t dead and is coming back, so it’s a good thing that Mari has gone, but sad too. I think she says that her mother wouldn’t have allowed her a dog, and that she’s waiting for Mari to come back with a sibling for her.

Onelia is still fixing Viv’s hair into a ponytail when JM walks up. He asks if she’s had any luck communicating, and she says no, Viv’s mind is just blank. JM says he will do whatever he can to get her memory back, but it won’t be easy. Onelia thinks maybe if Viv saw Mayita? JM thinks it would be bad for Mayita who is going through a nervous crisis (she looks okay to me) and that it’s best to leave her with the nanny.

Onelia says you never should have let that nanny into the house. JM says it was necessary, and please don’t battle with her like you did with Mari. Viv flashes back on the plane crashing and blinks a little.

Stef is walking with the judge on the expansive lawn. She says don’t worry, everything will sort itself out. The judge says I don’t think so. Stef says I’m sure Ceci will find out from the priest where Mari has gone, then she’ll go get her. The judge says you think that’s a solution? Stef says she’s your real daughter and when she comes, I’ll leave. Ceci walks up, crying. She tearfully tells about her conversation with the padre while Stef listens carefully, and then says Mari doesn’t know that they are her parents. The judge is impactado.

At castle San Ramon, JM asks the nanny how things went and she says great. They did some lessons and chatted, and now Mayita is having a nap. JM says he just came for some papers. The nanny asks if his wife is any better and he says no. She says I hope you can cure her and he says I hope so too. He leaves the room and she stands there smiling, but not broadly, just the same as she was smiling before. What are we to infer?

JM thoughtbubbles about running in the grass with Mari and Cuate, about kissing her. Then he thoughtbubbles about seeing Vacant Viv for the first time at the facility. He wonders when he will stop thinking of her, but I think he means Mari.

Ceci is still crying and she relates that Mari told the padre that she didn’t need them now, and Ceci says where were we when she needed us? Mari has no feelings for us, and if she knew who we were, she’d go even further away. We wounded her so badly.

Stef rubs Ceci’s shoulder and says she’s bound to appear. The judge says calmate. Ceci says she’s among strangers, suffering who knows what. JM walks up. Ceci says if she hadn’t abandoned Mari, Mari’s life would have been so different. She says you two were born for each other, you could have met, fallen in love, married. Stef isn’t enjoying this part. JM says there are a lot of lovely could-have-beens. Stef doesn’t enjoy that either and she and the judge exchange quick looks.

Back at the hacienda, El L. is in the barn, and two guys have dropped another, who must be a miscreant, to his knees in front of him. The miscreant glares defiantly, and breathes heavily as is required of actors playing adrenalined-up bad guys. The two employees say he’s a traitor, turn your back and he’ll put a knife in it. It was just as they suspected, they found him at the river doing something, but I couldn’t figure out what.

The bad guy suddenly pulls a knife from his boot and lunges at El L. El L. does some bobbing and weaving, gets the knife away and slugs the guy. Mari comes in to see the fellow on the ground and El L. standing over him.

Adrian is striding through the streets and goes into the church. His mother is already there, telling the padre that she can’t believe that Mari doesn’t want them to know what’s become of her or why she left. The padre says I’m not going to tell you where she is. Adrian walks up and says but you’re going to tell me. I have the right to know.

El L. has taken a quirt to the miscreant and is whipping him. Mari jumps in, stays his hand and says stop! She and he glare at one another, both of them with their hair in their eyes.

Adrian says I want to help Mari. The padre tells him and his mother that Mari left because she wanted to get away from everything. He says I promised I wouldn’t tell and I’m not going to break that promise. What she wants is peace and quiet.

Cut to Mari, who still has hold of El L.’s quirt hand. They are still having a glare-off. She says can’t you see he’s smaller than you? Stop it! That’s why they call you the leopard, isn’t it? El L. stalks out, disgusted. The miscreant (who has the requisite one long drip of blood coming from the corner of his mouth) and the two hacienda hands just stare at her.

Wow, I had totally forgotten about Rocio. There she is still at the hospital, still bandaged up, though not the full mummy version. She is talking to Vicente who is at home and she wants to know why she’s the one who always calls him and not vice versa. He says he doesn’t want to bother her when she’s getting much-needed naps. She says she’d rather hear his voice than sleep. Vicente looks troubled.

She says she’s going to get another operation and that JM says she’ll be good as new. Vicente says he wishes she could hurry on home. She says her previous doctor had some problem, so she has a new, younger one. She wishes she could see Vicente just a little before surgery. He runs his fingers through his hair and doesn’t look enthused. He says he doesn’t want to put anyone out pushing him in his wheelchair, but he’ll call tomorrow. They hang up and they both look serious.

Mari is asking the bad guy if he’s okay, if he’s hurt. He says not much. He’s still doing that Acting 101 deep breathing. The employees just look on. Couldn’t the guy be arrested for assault and attempted murder? Won’t he try to stab them next?

El L. is blowing off steam. He’s riding at full gallop hollering as he goes. Mari runs to Micaela who seems to be tilling outside and tells her that she thinks she’s going to have to pack up because for sure she’s going to be thrown out of the hacienda. She tells Micaela what happened. Micaela wants to know who it was, but Mari doesn’t know the guy. Miceala says Chamuco.

El L. shows up in the background and yells for Micaela to come. She hustles off and Cande comes up and Mari tells her what happened. Now we see El L. who is lashing the walls of a passageway with his quirt and is telling Micaela that he wants that girl and that woman out NOW.

How did this happen? This episode is giving me whiplash. We seem to be in Elsa’s house and her parents seem to be hiring Beatriz, who was recommended apparently by Eduardo, to help a secretary. Bea says you know I’m expecting and the dad says no problem. The mom says you’ve known Elsa for a long time, haven’t you? Bea says yes. She’s hired. (I thought they didn’t like the art crowd.)

Zip! Back to El L. and Micaela who is saying I can’t just throw them out, I have to call my brother to come get them. El L. says it’s not my problem – get one of the peasants to take them to the station. Micaela says but they’re women alone. El L. says nothing will happen to them. If she’s brave enough to step between two men who were fighting to the death… The things she said to me! Micaela says how could Mari know about Pirana (the guy who pulled the knife), but El L. says I said they could stay if they stayed away from me and they didn’t obey. They have to go.

Micaela nervously points out that the hospitality of the hacienda was always sacred, and now that he’s inherited it, he should honor that. She says let them stay – it’s the first time. He says the first and the last – out they go!

He strides into the courtyard and yells for his horse to be brought. He lashes about with his quirt, knocking over a bucket. He whacks a milk bucket a few times. Mari and Cande come out and watch while he storms around. The horse is brought, he mounts and rides over the cobblestones at a gallop. Micaela says you get to stay this time, but I paid dearly. (Hmm I don’t recall he said that.)

Eduardo and JM are having coffee. JM fills him in on Mari, the padre, and Viv. He’s worried about whether he can cure Viv. We cut to Viv, lying on a hospital bed, staring into space. The nurse leaves and Viv looks dully at the small window in the hospital door. There’s no one there, so she sits up and then slowly smiles to herself. Ah HA! We knew it! Cyber high-five!

Cande, Mari, and Micaela are having dinner in a pretty tile-covered nook. Mari wonders when El L. will be back. Micaela says who knows? She says she’s known him all his life and he’s not as bad as he seems. Besides, Pirana is a bad type, a thief, a traitor. He pulled a knife on El L, did you see that? Mari says no. Cande says believe her. Maybe he’s not so bad. Micaela says, he’s not.

Onelia is in the hospital room, coming Viv’s hair. Viv stares into space. Here comes JM and some nurses, complete with little white caps. Onelia says see? She looks better. JM agrees and hands Viv a mirror to see herself. Viv stares into it. JM tells Onelia he’s made a decision and he’s going to give Viv electroshock. Onelia cries no! and in the mirror we see Viv’s eyes widen.

At castle San Ramon, the nanny is in the foyer looking around, then she gets a big red suitcase on rollers and heads for the stairs. She has on a dirndl-cut dress and we see she has a pretty ample bosom, but we have no clear-cut hints as to whether she is good or evil. But, this being a novela, let’s go with evil for now.

Viv is being hooked up for her electroshock. She’s not doing anything! Boy, she’s brave. Everything is ready and JM is about to hold a shocker to her head (is that how they do it?) when Viv lets out a scream. Onelia jumps a mile.

Avances: I think El L (grooming his horse) and his man are discussing Mari – the fellow thinks she has pretty eyes. Mari is playing with her dove outside and from behind a tree Pirana watches and leers.

Labels:


Comments:
Ha ha, cyber high five, indeed. Thanks for the recap, Maggie.

Once that shock equipment came out, Viv had to wake up from her fake fugue state. Now she can join all the extras who are waving their arms about on the lawn of the manicomio.
 

Loved your analysis of the thought bubbles...I "saw" the roundness but didn't interpret. Funny. Also really liked the "glare-off".

I'm enjoying el Leopard, gives a sort of Heathcliff/mysterious moors vibe to the whole thing. I'm sure Marichuy will be able to help him with his anger management problem. Or else he can rescue her from Piraña and become her pincipe azul. Either way, better than that annoying little Adrian.
 

What a great recap, Maggie. I didn't see last evening's show but I'm caught up thanks to you.

I wish JM had jolted Viv and really given her a reason to scream. It sounded as if she "woke up" just in time.

I like Rene Strickler with the long hair and this is an interesting character. JudyB, I was getting more of a Mr. Rochester(Jane Eyre)vibe from El Leopard, as he is very gruff so far but definitely a classics kind of persona.
 

I agree, but it's JM who has the crazy wife in the attic.
 

Maggie: Thanks for the quick detailed recap.

I love the way the characters just show up out of nowhere. Ceci, Patricio and Stefi are out on the lawn and JuanMi just walks down the hill like he's been in their mansion all day. Gas must be cheaper that telephone service. Maybe it's just magic transporters that move the characters around.

Rocio will get out of the hospital some day, but she's probably going to be a year older. She must have outlived the first doc since she now has someone younger tending to her "wounds."

Too bad JuanMi wasn't a little quicker on the draw. I would have loved to see him pull the trigger and send a few thousand volts through Viv's brain. Maybe he had a hunch she was faking and was calling her hand.

El Leopardo is definitely different. I wonder how long it will take for him to fall under Mari's spell.
 

What is the "DF?"

Thanks.
 

violet608, DF is Distrito Federal, federal district where Mexico City is located. Pretty much like Washington, DC.
 

thanks for the answer about the DF.
 

Thanks Maggie!

Nina, I loved your response to the Rochester comparison!

I was really starting to believe Viv wasn't faking, she was very convincing. I don't think Juan Miguel had any doubts, he's not the most discerning guy.

The thought bubbles reminded me of the wicked witch's crystal ball in Wizard of Oz. Amador's angry bee music always makes me think of the music for the flying monkeys, so maybe I just have a Wizard of Oz fixation!

El L. (I like that abreviation, Maggie)has GIGANTIC anger issues. I can't imagine what would make someone so reactive. I guess we'll find out.

I thought the huge piece of pan that Cande was eating when she and Michaela and Marichuy were at the table was funny.
 

I haven't been watching this show, but Rene with long hair and a lot of builtup angst might make me come back. I like the longhair , and , I agree, that I can see a Mr. Rochester connection here. Viv is soooo creepy. Maybe a jolt of volt would have done her some good. Thanks for the recap.
 

Thanks for the recap.

What does Mari mean by "miguelita". I seem to hear her say that all the time.
 

Thanks for the recap, Maggie. Great job.

I too like the addition of El L. to the cast. Hia persona is a fresh addition compared to Adrian, I agree. I'm interested in his life story. We learn that he just got back from somewhere before his parents past away which to Micaela is recently. I wonder where he has been. He makes the storyline more interesting because he is mysterious and unknown. Rene Strickler does a great job. He is superb.

The other person we know about like Vivana because we saw what she is capable of.

I am glad that this time the Padre will keep his mouth shut and not tell where Marichuy is. She needs the peace and quiet. I keep saying that it is good marichuy is away from all that drama and mess.

Genevieve
 

What does Mari mean by "miguelita". I seem to hear her say that all the time.

Me, myself.
 

I thought I saw Viv smile when they first left her room, showing she was faking. I think JM is just about the worst doctor ever, has no clue as to how to treat or cure anyone. Sure, let's try electroshock. I worked in a mental hospital in the 70's, and electroshock was severely frowned upon, and hardly ever used. Even today, there probably has to be consent by the family members. Oh, I forgot - JM IS the family member, and he's treating his own wife! Hmmmm.
 

Terrific recap and fun title Maggie. Excellent acting by the actress portraying Viv. She's playing with fire in her present charade but looks like she's going to "come to" before she gets burned. She's also a stone cold killer. I loathe the fact she's Mayita's mother too. Diana in MA
 

Yeah, Juan Miguel sucks as a doctor, and he should stay away from seriously ill patients. He should only see frivolous ladies who need a little cheering up and find that staring at him for fifty minutes is therapy enough.

I'm surprised the manicomio would even have electroshock equipment, unless threatening to use it is standard treatment to see if someone is faking.

I know mental illness isn't funny, but those extras on the lawn pretending to be mentally ill crack me up.

Thanks for the fun recap, Maggie. I love your title. Hard to tell indeed. I thought the episode was nuts but I figured I just wasn't tracking well because I was tired; now I see that it really was all over the place.

I don't think Elsa's parents really disliked the artist crowd, they just thought their daughter should marry someone with money and known to them. They probably think they're perfectly suitable as employees.
 

Fplks...they are still using electroshock today...in the States. I occasionally do hospital visits for my church, and frankly was shocked (no pun intended) when I learned that it was used on the closed floor at the hospital (for those experiencing mental problems or drug and alcohol issues).

The person I was visiting was anxious, nervous, depressed, becoming somewhat paranoid...and she had a series of shock treatments agreed to by a family member. It did seem to help. But I was astonished that this sort of treatment had made a comeback.
 

JudyB: yes, they still do. In fact it has increased in popularity as a treatment since the bad old days of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." I worked as a registered nurse in my local manicomio back in the early '70s and we always had a few patients on the floor who were receiving it. It's hard to sanction a treatment that appears so violent and that nobody (to this day) even knows how it works, but the rationale they always gave was that it did work, when nothing else would.

I don't mean to take sides in this or to open a controversial discussion (after all, this is telenovela land) but I did a little poking around and found a relatively informative and unprovocative discussion online
here.


But the scene itself was unrealistic in that Viv would have been under general anesthesia and therefore unable to react.
 

My aunt had electroshock therapy in the late 40s or early fifties after she her baby died. My mother told me what a horrible experience it was for her. When I was growing up and at a family holiday, I remember being told that ''Aunt Jeanne is napping.'' Later, when I grew up, I realized that she was on various and sundry meds all her life. My poor cousin Glenn who was an only child, once told someone that all his mother and grandma did was cry. Jeanne's husband [my Uncle Harry] was a Paul Newman lookalike and Jeanne was beautiful --Black hair and pale skinned...an Elizabeth Taylor lookalike. She was also a talented pianist. These 2 beautiful people really lived their own tragic telenovela. My cousin Glenn recently died. He had a sad life, too. He was probably bipolar.
 

El Leopard and Marichuy remind me so much of Beauty $ the Beast. he's this harsh, mysterious, dramatically angry guy who tells Marichuy to stay away and the house workers are the ones who befriend her. eventually she'll soften him up loll i think they may have gotten some inspiration from that movie.

that episode was all over the place though. good job keeping track :)
 

Agnes, thanks for that link and Susanlynn, thanks for telling your story. I have a nephew on medication for bipolar disorder and it's made him loggy, contributed to a lot of weight gain, and while it's cut down on the mood swings, it seems to have stunted his personality and maturation process also.

A lot of folks in my family are "high strung" but the medication changes are disturbing and the idea of electroshock therapy is also. After I read in Agnes' link about the origin of it's use, I was even more appalled.

Hey JM Lover, Beauty and the Beast is an excellent comparison...I think we can all agree on that one.
 

Jm Lover~~Yes, Beauty and the Beast definitely came to my mind, too. I'm happy that Rene was introduced into the storyline . This could get interesting . We may have 3 hombres pursuing Marichuy instead of the standard 2 ...making a love rectangle instead of a love triangle. And all 3 guys are so different.
 

Judy, it's so sad to see that deadening of emotion. I have a friend with that problem also. She was in very bad shape two years ago, and now she's on medication, but also seems virtually catatonic. She got married recently, and she seemed to be a deer caught in the headlights as she walked down the aisle.
 

Good call on Beauty and the Beast--that story does come to mind, what with the heroine sent to live at a distant castle away from her family. And he has all that animal imagery.
 

What fascinating comments today! And what heart-rending stories about depression. I’m afraid we are just coming out of the Middle Ages when it comes to the understanding and treatment of mental illness. Later people will look back on our primitive methods like we look back on bloodletting and cupping. Agnes – I had forgotten that electroshock was done under anesthesia!

Hombre – I don’t recall Viv smiling earlier on to show she was faking, but I might have snoozed off! Anybody else remember this?

And did anybody catch what Pirana did that got him in trouble?

Genevieve – I too like the addition of El Leopardo, and that we are out at his cool hacienda. I love the paint colors on the exterior and interior. Before this show felt very shut-in to me, too few story lines and locations, but things are really opening up now.

Pasofino, I agree that it’s bizarre how people (like JM this time) can just come in the gates of the rich folks’ homes. Haven’t the rich folks read about the kidnappings, etc.?

There were a few puzzling unresolved lines in this episode. Like when Cande told the fellow (Cosme?) to wait up before he left for the DF. Nothing ever came of that. And then the name changes – that seemed to have fizzled out.

Thank you all for the parallels to literature – what fun!
 

Maggie~~~I agree about the beautiful, vibrant colors of the hacienda. I am very affected by color. I may start watching this show again. What ever happened to the couple that Viv was involved with ? [The woman was the actress who played Rita on Pasion.]
 

Meant to say something earlier Maggie but got sidetracked. Pirana was slaughtering cattle. Carneado =slaughtering and closed captions said "reces" but it was really "reces" which is another name for "ganado" cattle. Evidently he rustles some of Leopardo's stock...at least that's what I understood. If I'm off, Margarita will let us know.

PS Doctors and nurses were still using leeches in Switzerland when I was there in 59/60 and I think it's making a comeback here in wound treatment.
 

Thanks, Judy B! You are a champ. Wouldn’t it be cool if Parana turned out to be a bastard brother of El Leopardo? The black sheep?

Oh, and I was thinking that since Mari got assaulted in the woods years ago, she would be leery of wandering alone in a sylvan setting!
 

Mari's channeling La Llorona Slowfia from Fuego..."sure is a nice night for a walk in Rape Forest."

Pirana was slaughtering cattle? Sheesh. If Marichuy doesn't reform him he will probably have to get trampled to death.
 

Thanks to all the recappers since I don't catch this very often.

I know someone who was depressed for a couple of years and no medication seemed to help. He kept trying to kill himself. He finally got electroshock treatment and he is much better, so it can work. I suppose the possible side effects are better than suicide.

Pascal
 

Pascal, thank you for your comment. I believe they have improved the method of administration; it used to be quite crude. As nurses, we were disgusted with having to participate. But, on our unit (and we were not the big state hospital with serious custodial problems wherein abuses are rife), it was used with discretion and I have to say that it kept some people alive who might otherwise have killed themselves.

Such a delicate issue. I come from a family with a lot of serious mental illness and it aint pretty. So even though I wouldn't want to agree to ECT for a loved one, I have to admit it that it could be a treatment of last resort.
 

Maggie,
Now that I am off my mental illness soapbox, what the heck is this quirt thing? I thought it was a golf club. The guy has serious anger management problems which could only stem from a love affair gone wrong. Either that or he witnessed the My Lai masssacre and he's got a serious case of PTSD.

I'm glad we've moved away from the DF for a while. This show's got a long way to go and I'm grateful for the change of scenery. But how long is Mari going to run around in those short cropped tops? Where are they going to hide the pillow?
 

Usually electroshock therapy is the last resort when all other measures for depression are exhausted. It mainly only works for depression. Although I didn't read the article suggested by Agnes, i do know that currently people are given an anesthetic before, are alseep, and they put something that looks like earphones on and the shock lasts seconds. A person is tired afterwards and sleeps. The major side effect is memory loss. I once did an internship in a psychiatric hospital and "shock' treatments were given to very old people. They were not harmed by it and for many the treatments were successful.

I too like Rene Strickler and the new path of this story.
NJ Sue
 

Awesome recap Maggie ;) Yes, Leopardo said they could stay, but their first offense (Mari mouthing off to him) better be the last or they’re gone for sure. I too wondered why Mica was milking the cow, but I guess she’s someone who worked her way up in the hacienda and thus knows how to do all the chores so she can teach the newbies like Mari and thus delegate. On your question about Piraña, as JudyB mentioned he stole some livestock (ganado) and was selling them, after personally slaughtering them. I had originally thought it was sheep and that he’d just used a knife he used on Omar, but as Judy pointed out, they said it was reses (cattle) which would have required something a little bigger.

Judy B, I love how so many of us went for Bronte with Omar/Leopardo. You say Heathclif, JJ Susalynn and I say Rochester (sans the crazy wife who went to JM as NinaK pointed out). As JM Lover pointed out, Beauty and the Beast fits too ;)

Is it wrong that I was relieved O/L was whipping a human instead of an animal? Maybe it’s because he was so evil, but all I kept thinking was, “oh ok, he’s whipping the evil farmhand, I can live with that.”

I’m with JudyB on how they get together. I bet Piraña tries to rape her and O/L ends up rescuing her and finds out what happened to her before and they can bond over their tortured past lives.

Jtorres and Bijoux – I think Mari’s saying “Micaelita.” It would just be a diminutive to Micaela, a term of endearment.

About Blanca/Ivette – My money’s on split personality disorder (though I can always be wrong). Both halves know about the other one, but can only control what they do when they are themselves. It would explain how she can be so nice to Mayita and truly look sincere, then get that evil smile when she’s up against folks like Onelia. They probably get triggered depending on who is around.

Julia – don’t feel bad. Real mental illness is terrible, but fake mental illness, not so much. Carlos Mencia has a whole routine on people who are stupid and does a gesture similar to mental retardation, then points out that when he says it he means people who are “healthy” and do things that are retarded versus people who have things like Downs Syndrome and seem to have more common sense sometimes. Dennis Leary came under fire because he wrote a chapter in his recent book (can’t remember the name) on people who were trying to get their kids diagnosed as autistic so they could get special treatment and extra money. Real autism is terrible, and these a$$holes were cheapening it. Wait, I think I started digressing here, but I don’t have ADD, just no focus.

Oh, and Julia, I’m with you on Elsa’s parents. Mom was actually tickled to see her daughter in a play, she just didn’t see it as something she would be doing all of her life, just a little hobby she was doing before becoming a wealthy bored housewife. She also seems to appreciate the fact that Beatriz knew Elsa, and can possibly bring her news about how her kid is doing out there in the cold cruel world. They’re not monsters, just shallow, and that’s not a crime.

Thanks for the ECT info Agnes, and to Susalynn and Sue for their stories. Years ago I remember someone who was considering electroshock (I think she was bipolar, but can’t remember for sure) but couldn’t bring herself to do it because she was concerned about the memory loss. Either way, not that anything else in the medical portions of this show is realistic, asking her to remember anything right after electroshock seems just plain dumb.

Maggie and Julia, I was totally thinking the same thing when Mari went off on her own in the forest after being warned about a bad guy there, especially after almost getting raped in one: “she’s from Slowfia’s school of post traumatic behavior.”
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder