Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Fuego, 1-13: "Remember when I said you were my first love? I lied."

Greetings, friends, I'm covering for Cheryl, she's spending a month in Mexico!

From yesterday: It's a full moon again.

Soledad (they put white powder on her face and blast her with a white light, do you think she's supposed to look like an angel?) begs her son to put aside his rancor, to break the chain of hate and vengeance (what good advice for the entire world); he can't and won't, he will bring down Ricardo and Gabriela if it's the last thing he does, and, as Nickster astutely pointed out, it probably will be... They have this conversation a couple more times during the episode.

Eva mopes, Sofia commiserates, "if YOU were my daughter, would you forgive me?" "Of course." Eva mopes some more, mopes and mopes. Then she goes and finds Ruth and warns her away from Furd, and says "we have so much to talk about," but Ruth doesn't think so. Goaded by Eva's relentlessly kindly platitudes, Ruth snarls: "I. AM. NOT! YOUR! DAUGHTER!!!" After several reiterations, Eva is left impactada - or rather, befuddled - into the commercial break. There is a lot of yelling about this same tired subject afterwards. Ruth looks as old as her supposed mother. I keep waiting for the collagen in Eva's lips to subside.

Later, Eva and Sofia have their same conversation again, with this important addition: "If Ruth is NOT your daughter, then - who is? And where is she?" Yawn.

Tad enters the hacienda. "Padrecito," sneers Furd, "you were told not to come here." Well, Father Bouffy announces he has a signed letter from Augustin that Furd tried to kill him, and he has a witness too. "What witness?" Ruth appears on the stairs sporting a less-than-loving look. Bouffy prompts her: "You saved Augustin when Furd tried to kill him, remember? You remember, don't you?" She retracts it all.

OK, for the pointless diversion of the night: Quintina and her two Maria friends dress up like Bratz dolls with pink and green wigs and go ogle the male strippers. They're just having a grand old time till there's a roust, and they get taken to jail with everybody else, have their mugshots taken and have to sign papers. Is there a point to this?

Gabriela, reading in bed, mopes: "Always alone, waiting for somebody, Furd for instance, I'm tired of begging for love, for attention. Only that low-life Coyote wants me. Hmm," - remembering I guess that, although bald, Coyote has a nice body - "why not? I'll go look for him!"

Meanwhile Coyote is again repeating (in case you missed it), Gabriela and Furd must pay.

Oscar is on his floor blanket and manages to move a toe, which leads Juan to harass him impatiently and remind him he's supposed to get up and walk. This irritates me. "I don't want what I can't have!" Oscar explains, and that's my philosophy too.

Franco tells Juan, over Oscar's head, that he visited Sara at the Gew-Gaw Palace and heard Jimena met a new fella. This gets Oscar's head up off the ground, but it's just a joke...

What actually happens at the Gew-Gaw Palace: Sara sadly takes leave of Jimena, who tells her to go home. Bunking down among the mylar balloons at Tchatchkes R Us, Jimena dreams morosely of Oscar and decide she should leave, go far away as soon as possible. Sarita, at home asleep over a book of riveting poetry, is awakened by Franco's rose and they share happy reminiscences and kisses.

Question: How does Franco keep his stubble so even? He seems to have two days' worth of beard every day. How can he do that?

Sofia starts badgering Gabriela, "Why do you hate me so, why do you like Ruth best?" "Do you really want to know?" "Yes." "Really, really?" "Yes." "Are you sure you really, really, really want to know?" "Yes, yes, yes." So Gabriela takes her to the study, presumably to tell her, but wait...

... Soledad gets shown in; Sofia and the maid are ordered out. "Bossy as ever, Gabriela!" "I thought you were dead." "No, just blinded and burned. But you're going to pay." "Who's going to do it? You, you idiot?" "No, my son [unnamed] by Ricardo, whom I tried to kill when I was pregnant, but now he's a man out for vengeance. He's closer to you than you think. Now I've warned you, my conscience is clear."

Meanwhile Raquel, wearing a plastic wig suitable for a Skipper doll vintage 1964, is lurking around the hacienda corner, waiting for Soledad, whom she has evidently chauffeured on this mission. She's worrying about Soledad's safety (oh, sympathy and concern? I guess Raquel has been rehabilitated while I wasn't watching this show) and is biting her fingernails when --

Ricardo shows up! He shouts, shakes her, yells about Important Papers, she doesn't know anything about them, Coyote is in the trees with a serious weapon and a bead on Ricardo, he fires, commercial! After commercial - well, he missed. Ruth runs (not well), Coyote shoots again and skedaddles. He catches up with Ruth and they leave together.

Meanwhile, Gab is throwing Soledad out with the usual, "Never cross my threshold again," and Sofia, aghast at this breach of hospitality, sweetly asks the blind woman if she'd like a lift home. "No, someone is waiting for me, but who are you?" She repeats Sofia's name and says she won't forget her kindness.

The Reyes brothers stand in a row at Libia's shrine and thank her for Juan's impending wedding, etc. Oscar, somewhat less thankful, mopes to dead Libia that he's lost the love of his life through arrogance and pride.

Very indignant, Ricardo reports to Ruth that somebody shot him! Two Times! Who was it? Raquel is being protected by somebody! And then the words we love to hear, that signify the true beginning of Ultimas Semanas: "Things are getting complicated." "Nothing is going as we planned!" Ricardo asks Ruth if she wants to separate Sofia and Juan for (1) hatred of the former or (2) hots for the latter.

It's a full moon again, again. Juan staggers a bit, stumbling in from vaulting up over the balcony. He and Sofia bring on the anvils by saying they will be together in two days, nothing can stop it, they have overcome all the obstacles that separate them.

That is clearly not true, as we all know such a moment comes in the LAST CAPITULO and NOT BEFORE!!!

Coyote asks Ruth crossly why she brought his mother to Gabriela. "Well, your mom was very insistent." They mull over the documents Ricardo was shouting about. They must be very important. But what are they? Where are they?

Now Ricardo, not having gotten sufficient satisfaction whining to Root about his evening, whines identically to Gabriela. "Raquel was outside, spying, and somebody shot me. TWO TIMES! Somebody was protecting her." "Who would protect her, she's so useless! Oh - maybe Soledad's son?"

This is a double surprise to Ricardo, who didn't know Soledad was alive, and also didn't know she had a son. His bug eyes bug out even more than usual, he is double impactado somewhat to Gabriela's surprise: "Why do you care, anyway?"

"Because I was profoundly in love with Soledad, and she returned the love with equal intensity. Remember when I said you were my first love? I lied. My only regret in life is that I abandoned her. I want to see her!"

Tomorrow: Furd, intent on getting "his half," prepares to shoot Gabriela. Juan has a fistful of documents as he steps, hard, on Ricardo's shin.

Labels:


Comments:
What a wonderful recap-- thanks Melinama for your late night. My television went all contra on me so for about 20 minutes I had no sound, but a great picture. so, I just made up the dialogue. the Skipper doll wig comment I could not have made up. too funny. so how come Coyote is such a bad shot? Is he just toying with his prey or was he trying not to hit Skipp? I called the Geegaw palace Tiliches R Us.
VV.
 

Thank you for the recrap, Melinama. Great job!

"With a Thong In My Heart" ---I think the point of the Quintina-and-the-girls-do-the-Chippendales was that instead of a swimming or shower scene, we got the shiny silver thong scene. Hmmm...... not sure it was worth it.

Gosh, I heard that anvil fall just seconds before Darth found Raquel. Methinks her days might be numbered, but what do I know?

I wonder if Soledad could be El Jefe's sister. The sort of resemble each other, and might explain Coyote working for him. I doubt El Jefe ran an ad in the Help Wanted classifieds.

doris
 

Melinama: I loved your recap. Too many excellent phrases to repeat them all but "Gew-Gaw Palace" and "Meanwhile Raquel, wearing a plastic wig suitable for a Skipper doll vintage 1964.." were my favorites.

This is REALLY getting good. I'm almost :) ready to forgive the writers for the Juan of the Jungle storyline.

This is like a game of Clue. Who is going to kill who first? Will it be Fernando killing Gabi on the hacienda grounds? Coyote shooting Ricky in cold blood? The possibilities are endless.

I was really shocked to hear Ricky's declaration of love for Soledad. He had anonther before Gabi? How her blood must be boiling. Although, Ricky seems capable of many things, love not being one of them.

VV, I think (although I could be wrong) that Coyote is an expert marksman and is deliberately taunting Ricky.

Doris, "With a thong in my heart" was priceless. Also, interesting theory about Soledad being El Jefe's sister. It certainly would explain a lot. Diana in MA
 

Poor Eva...mope, mope, mope, mope. That actress must be so bored with her lines. I know we are. "Waiting for the collagen in her lips to subside" was a real zinger. I honestly think those are her real lips! Who knows. Well done and very funny. Thanks for stepping in, Melinama....and without closed captions! Extra credit, Jefecita.
 

Mel: fab recrap! And if I remember correctly, you haven't been a faithful member of the "I'm A Glutton for Punishment" FELS club but you didn't miss a beat. Lots of great editorial asides (I too loved the Skipper reference, being a woman of a particular age) and very creative snark. Mille grazie!

OK, gang, here's a theory for the grand finale (which can't come soon enough): if the TN gods declare that those who are good remain good & pure, those who are evil will eventually die or contract some fatal STD, then the only way we can wrap up this overwrought melodrama is to have one massive shootout in the Hacienda du Horrors corral with Feo, Crabi, Darth & any other baddies aimlessly spraying bullets at each other. Then Crabi, wounded but still pissed off, can light a match & torch the whole lot of them. She seems to have a touch of pyro in her.

Then the dysfunctional couples can all trot off into the sunset & we can get a new TN to watch that has some semblance of creative worth to it.

Aye caramba.
Maggarita
:-#
 

It's true, I haven't been watching, but I try to read the recaps so I at least know who these people are! And it's true my closed captions are dead, but y'all know this show so well I don't have to be very detailed... another rule of the telenovelas is, the good guys can never do the kills, the bad guys have to self-destruct or mutually destruct. Coyote seems nice now, but he intones fateful vows so often that he must be an exception. He will destroy [fill in the blank or blanks] and then die. I agree, Gab and flames. Maybe she'll get burned the way she burned Soledad.
 

melinama - I have to agree with you, because I had that same thought while watching last night. Coyote is so hell-bent on killing Gabi and Darth that he must die, too, for that sin.

doris
 

Great recap Melinama. I thought for sure Coyote was accidentally going to shoot Barbie Raquel. That's the best I've seen Quintia look. That pink hair was a hoot. I was hoping for more male dancing but no. I was so disappointed. I don't think Coyote will kill Darth and Crabi before he tells them why he is killing them. It's funny that nobody has ever mentioned that Slowfia and doormat Eva have similar color hair?
 

If Coyote must die for his intent, then Juan's gotta go too...logically speaking. I think Coyote gets his revenge by helping out our hapless hermanos & their legal claims. He had the chance to kill off Darth but chose to scare him instead (at least that's how I interpreted last night's close call). He loves his mom, looks after Racqui, keeps a watchful eye on the Reyes doofuses (doofi?), and has kept a tight control on his emotions.

(yup, I'm a member of the Team Coyte fan club)

Maggarita
 

I agree Maggarita. I don't think they will kill Coyote off. If he wanted to take Darth out he could have on both occasions. I think he is warning him that the end is near. In a way this works out good for Ferd because (if he knew that she was being threatened) he could blame the brake incident on Coyote.
 

Melinama: Thanks for filling in the blanks for me. I am now watching this program while doing other things. It is getting a little more interesting now. From the comments and what I've seen, the finale will include not only multiple weddings, but a final body count as well.
 

Shades of Gene and Roy. Some really nifty shooting by Coyote, Knocking the gun out of his daddy's hand was skillfully done even if aided by a laser beam. And about the male strippers, that was just wrong on so many levels. I'm sure all of you join me in condemning this blatantly wanton exploitation of the male body.
I do however applaud Quintana's in-your-face embrace of her criminality during her posing for her mugshots. This lady is a truly gifted actress who has by and large been misused in this TN. Thanks Melinama, I always enjoy your perspective whenever you jump in. Thank you also for creating this wonderful website. Carlos
 

I think we should exploit the male body as much as possible. :P
 

One last bit of information, for any of you wishing to adopt that authentic Ricardo look, Charlie One Horse Hats sells cowboy hats with pre-punched bullet holes. I'm not kidding. Carlos
 

Fantastic recap. As for Franco's stubble, I think some electric razors have a setting for leaving an exact amount of whiskers. It's like when you go to the barber to get a crew cut, they ask you which "guard" to use (1-4). 1 is the shortest hair, etc.

I don't understand how Ricardo could love Soledad, but try to kill her with Gabi's help. I mean, isn't that what Coyote's upset about? And if Ric didn't love Crabi, why was he doing anything for her? He already had Raquel for the money. I guess it was Crabi's awesome sex appeal!
 

HdeM - I don't think Darth was in on the arson plot with Gabi to kill Soledad. She gets full credit for that. And ITA about the special razors for that look. I think it all started with Don Johnson in Miami Vice. Not my thing, though.

Carlos - Oh yes, we join you in your horror of this exploitation of the male body. In fact, we are starting a task force of foristas to visit these type establishments, often, just to
1.) determine if there is, in fact, any exploitation of the male body,
2.)see how bad the exploitation is,
3.)to make sure no male dancers are harmed during the performances by audience members or the flying money (tips), or
4.) make sure they are not exposed to cold air from inadequate HVAC systems, thereby putting their health at risk, and
5.) make sure their thongs aren't too loose or too tight, causing problems with the circulatory system and (gasp) any blood clots.
Yep, we're on it!

doris
 

H de M: don't you kind of like the fact that no matter which man Crabi loves, it's always unrequited? She's got an awful lot of rejections slips: Juan Senior, Pervie Bern, Feo, Darth Ricky...I suppose we can add Coyote too. Not a great track record!

Maggarita
 

Thanks, Melinama for your usual entertaining analysis of life in Mexidoon. Yes, Raq's wig does resemble a Skipper doll..good eye...or maybe one of the gals from the B52s. The conversation between Sof and Crab put me in mind of that old Spice Girls tune :''Now tell me what you want ...what you really, really, really want...''
 

What is up with all the bad shooters? Juan hit Ricky in the leg and Coyote only got him in the hat. Focus, guys. Aim for the middle.
 

Doris: where do I sign up? I'm a giving person, you know, & always glad to help.
Maggarita
;-)
 

I really cannot stand the Quintina and spinster Maria's scenes. You ladies may hate the Sofia and Juan kissing scenes and lines, but to me I really think those comic releif scenes are a waste of time and not necessary for the plot. How is it that they got out so soon after the mugshots?

Coyote probably really aimed for Ricardo's hat and did not want to kill him right away. With a laser guide, he can't possibly be that incompetent... Even for this novela.

I know tha majority here loves those shower scenes and naked scenes of the Reyes' and the strippers, but a few of us would like more of the beautiful ladies. Ruth actually has a nice body. She could even work out some more. ;)

A few commenters have noted that Padre Tadeo's hair has gotten darker instead of salt and pepper gray. I noticed that last night. I guess a priest can groom himself a little. lol.

We need a full on fist fight between Ricardo and Fernando to see who the last badass standing is. then the 3 Brothers can finish him off.

While i was surfing between ESPN and ESPN 2, I happen to go to Univision shortly before 2 pm and who do I see there? Oscar in another novela called Mariana De la Noche. He looks a little slimmer though. Just thought I'd throw that out to you guys.

Anyway, Can't wait to see tonight's epsisode where Juan steps on Ricardo's leg and calls him out for being the spook at night. The one he shot...

Ibarramedia
 

Carlos and Doris...you two should team up more often. You both have me laughing hysterically.
 

Today's comments were great.

Doris: I commend you on your selfless effort to form a task force to ferret out such establishments :)

Maggarita: "She's (Gabi's) got an awful lot of rejections slips." LOL.

Carlos: "I do however applaud Quintana's in-your-face embrace of her criminality during her posing for her mugshots. This lady is a truly gifted actress who has by and large been misused in this TN." Agree. I'd love to see her in something where she can really showcase her talents.

Susanlynn: "What is up with all the bad shooters? Juan hit Ricky in the leg and Coyote only got him in the hat. Focus, guys. Aim for the middle." Good point!

Anyway, everyone who posted today made my day. Diana in MA.
 

Masterful recrap from the master herself!

Those wondering about the comic relief scenes with Quintina et al should keep in mind that, added up, they extend the stupidity quite a while and add to the number of commercials that can be shown.

God, I hope we don't have to wait until the very last episode for Sofía to find out that Eva is her mother. They keep dangling it like a carrot.

I can't figure out how the wedding can be averted, and Jimena witnessing Root kissing Juanabrain is the only thing I can come up with. But even the usually waspish Sarita told her to keep it zipped, so that may not be it.

Ibarramedia, I saw Mariana de la Noche when it first aired, and Jorge was pretty good in it.

I also occasionally watch Abrazame Muy Fuerte and our Pad Tad has a villain's role in it, actually kind of a comical villain. He's a con man trying to fleece the two spinsters of our current novela, who are playing exactly the same roles in that one - sexually frustrated solteronas. AND this is another Mejia effort, with the saving grace of the galan being TBLMOE, Colunga.
 

And now a medical update: Thanks to the expert ministrations of noted physical therapists Juan and Franco, Oscar miraculously moved a toe last night. He should be up and walking as good as new in a couple of days. Doris, I'm deeply touched by your concern. In regard to your point 4: not to mention the dreaded shrinkage that could result. Oh the humanity! Carlos
 

Can I join the task force? I could be in charge of the showering and bathing facilities.
 

Yay exploiting the male body! Why have we not seen this club before? Could you imagine if we got to see Sarita in there pre-sex? That would have been really funny!

Okay, the laser scope in the dark was kind of dumb, because stupid DR should have seen the red light hit his hand before the gun was shot out. But yay, Coyote is still alive. The closer it gets to whatever is going to happen I get nervous for him.

"Doofi" is hilarious!

Molly in OR
 

Was that at the old Tumbao club or whatever it was called?
 

Melinama, thanks for the recap. I always miss some of the dialogue no matter how hard I listen.
Connie, you should be in charge of testing all the water with your elbow prior to every shower and bathing scene!
Where did that StripClub pop up?
And where has Soledad been hanging out all these years? Looks like she lives right nearby.
So Soledad told Gab she tried to kill her son while she was pregnant? Ouch. Good thing Coyote isn't in on that little secret.
"Creemelo"
 

Creemelo, who would be in charge of "quality control?"
 

Hee, I like the doll motif. So fitting, especially for our helmut head who could only aspire to looking as cute as Skipper. (She was my favorite by the way...:)

Lovely job!

I loved the shiny silver thong, or well, the thing that was under it, er, well, was supposed to be under it but stuck out, er well, you know what I mean.... nice. :)
 

Oh yeah, and that laser scope dot on the head was HYSTERICAL!!!!!!
 

Connie--you and your water-sister, Molly-in-Oregon, would be in charge of water quality control. After all, we don't want any of the talent getting accidentally scalded, right? You might also have to check out the silver thong situation for tightness, chafing, etc etc etc. Well, someone has to do it!
"Creemelo"
 

I don't think the strip show was at the former Tumbao. I thought they were in Puebla. (I didn't see Comisario Muttonchops, anyway. Also, I thought I heard a phone ring.)

I haven't the faintest idea what was the point of the strip show scene and raid. I hope there was a point. Maybe the raid makes the papers and someone recognizes Quintina as their long lost swapped baby. Or the not-yet-mentioned Maria Fe recognizes Maria Caridad and Maria Esperanza as her long lost sisters.

I also ran into "Mariana De la Noche" the other day. In addition to a younger Oscar, it also featured a younger Gaviota!

I love "Gew-Gaw Palace." I think that's a new one. Does the store have a real name? Have we ever seen the sign?
 

I think (maybe I heard wrong) Soledad said that GABI tried to kill Soledad's son while she was pregnant. Not that Soledad tried to kill him.

(My browser's spell checker keeps recommending "Solenoid." I hope she's still in the story next time I recap.)

Fuego de Rosca etc. - "I loved the shiny silver thong, or well, the thing that was under it, er, well, was supposed to be under it but stuck out, er well, you know what I mean.... nice."

LOL, you're referring to the money they were sticking in his pants, right?
 

Thanks for the great recaps. I love them and I loved them even more when you called Ruth, "Root". Good stuff!
 

If Soledad is El Jefe's sister, wouldn't that also make her Maria Libia's sister too? (Juan and 'ems momma)
 

Oh nooooo....so that would make El Coyote the cousin of the Hermanos Bueyes...
"Creemelo"
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder