Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Fuego, Monday 2/16 (#200, 201): Gabriela keeps her coat on all night...

...because revenge is a dish best served cold, and she's the entree.

Eva finally tells Sofía that they're really mother and daughter. Gabi stands in the background for a while, then walks away mumbling that she's not going to hang around listening to stupid chatter. They ignore her completely. She goes up to the balcony and watches with an evil smirk as they cry and hug.

The Padre is praying. He gives thanks, and adds, "as for Gabriela, your will be done." (I am sure God was just waiting for that green light from the padre!)

Gabriela polishes off another glass of brandy and worries what will happen to her.

Sofía and Eva bond over having their daughters taken away soon after birth. Eva always felt awful when Gabi was unkind to Sofía and felt united to her in some way. Sofía felt it too.

The Reyes brothers and Fermin want Feo arrested. Comisario Muttonchops says he needs proof. Juan replies that they've got plenty of proof, but they have to catch him first! Oscar tells Muttonchops to close all entrances to town - watch the train station and roads. Muttonchops agrees to this and tells his guys to do it. Whew. Good thing he had Juan and Oscar there to tell him how these things are done. He asks Fermin if he isn't going to go back on his word when it's time to turn Fernando in. Fermin says no - he came back so that Feo would pay for his crimes. Franco says they just want justice.

Feo is napping in the graveyard's toolshed. He wakes with a start when a scythe is returned to its rack. He looks up just in time to see someone come in. No, it's not the Reaper - he wears finer clothes. This guy is the groundskeeper. He's missing an eye. His face is deeply scarred, as if he got caught in one of Gabi's trademark conflagrations.

Eva tells Sofía she found out about the switcheroo from Juan. He didn't want her to tell Sofía right away for fear that it would destroy her world. (Are you kidding me? It would MAKE her world!) But Eva felt the time had come. She had to confront Gabi as Sofía's mother and defend her. They talk for a long, long time about how awesome it is that they're mother and daughter. Sofía forgives Eva (remember, Eva thinks she's awful for "letting" this happen) and accepts her as her mother.

Lots and lots more mush about how much Gabi sucks as a mom and how great Eva is, and it was all very sad before but now they're together and happy, oh I was afraid you'd reject me and be ashamed of me like Ruth was, what no never, etc. etc. etc. This goes on FOREVER. Don't get me wrong, it's nice and all, but we get the idea. Meanwhile, a swarm of little gnats pesters them as they talk and cry.

Feo gives the groundskeeper a thick roll of bills and says there's plenty more where those came from if he lets Feo hide out there and doesn't tell anyone. The groundskeeper agrees with a creepy smile. "Whatever you say, patrón."

The Reyes brothers are sitting around in the kitchen. Prompted, I guess, by Fermin's revelation on Friday that Feo killed Rosario, Franco is reminiscing sadly about her. Juan encourages him to cry it out. He and Oscar give him some privacy. (I was thinking it seemed like he wanted to talk. He could have found some other room to cry in if he wanted to.) Instead of remembering their fleeting happy moments together, Franco remembers Rosario's stage show in a lovely video montage. "Then, and only then, you will cry," she sings. Franco has a good cry.

Sofía is going to talk to Gabi. Eva offers to go with, afraid Sofía will be hurt again. Sofía's not worried. Now that she knows there are no ties binding her and Gabi, nothing will stop them from talking like they've never talked before. Eva gives her a blessing.

Sofía confronts Gabi and asks why she didn't tell her the truth. Gabi admits she found out only a short time ago herself. She never liked Sofía, but never figured it was because Sofía wasn't her own.

Sofi asks, why did Gabi let her stay at the hacienda even when she know she wasn't her daughter? Gabi replies that she just couldn't allow Sofi and Eva be happy together. Eva betrayed Gabi with her husband, and Sofía was the fruit of that betrayal. The best way to get revenge on Eva was to let her suffer on Sofía's account. Sofía expresses her pain of being rejected, mistreated, and unable to gain Gabi's love, meanwhile Gabi enjoyed making her cry and ruining her life.

Gabi says she didn't give her life, but she cared for her, fed her, and educated her, and Sofi owes her respect. Sofi says love and respect are earned, not requested. "You, ma'am" (she almost calls her "Mama," but catches herself in time), "the only thing you've earned is my CONTEMPT."

"We're paying with the same currency, because ever since you were born I began to lose. That's why I hate you. I began to lose my youth, my hopes, the attention of my family, the love of Bernardo. Even without being my daughter, you took everything away from me. Thus, without doing any more, without any right, you me me lose. The loser has always been me. That's why I hate you and all you love - my father, your sisters, my husband, I hate them all because of you. And if now you think I'm going to ask your pardon, you're very mistaken."

"You don't need to ask my pardon, because I've already forgiven you, though I'll never forget. Never! Tell me now, Gabriela Acevedo, will you be able to forgive yourself, forgive all the evil you've done to me?"

"You're no one to judge me."

"It's true, I'm no one to you. But I can say that all the bad you've done to me, all the bad you've caused, you will pay for it by being left ALONE."

Now it's Gabi's turn to cry. Ha-ha!

Rigo gets his test results from the doctor. His tumor hasn't grown, he won't need an operation, but he will need to keep getting treatments. Yay! He's definitely not going to die, perhaps!

Sofía and Jimena are at the clinic, helping Sarita get ready to leave. She has evidently shared her Mommy news with her sisters; they reassure her that they're still her sisters through their father. They'll be sisters foreverty-ever! Eva shows up with the brothers. Sofía lets Juan know that the Mommy cat is out of the bag. They are all super-happy. Then buzzkills Franco and Oscar say that Feo is the one who killed Rosario. Eva reminisces about what a great not-daughter (naughter?) she was. Juan promises justice.

Gabi wanders around in her dark house with a candelabra. Is she looking for Vincent Price? Fearing arrest, she packs a bag full of money. She considers Feo's proposal to bury her alive, and decides she'd rather die a thousand times than go to jail. She ties her coat with determination.

The Padre gives a special Mass for Sofía and Eva. Afterwards, everyone dances outside.

Feo goes outside. He's surprised to see a full-color "Se Busca" ("Wanted") poster with his photo on it. (This was the best photo the cops could get their hands on? Just half his face, the rest in shadow?) There's a bounty, er, reward of 500,000 pesos, which is about US$34,500. He tears it down and thought-bubbles that the whole town will be hunting for him.

Juan stops the festivities to formally ask Eva for Sofía's hand. Eva agrees. Sofía kisses him, or perhaps his chin-strap. Oscar and Franco ask for Jimena and Sarita's hands too. They're not Eva's to give, but she does anyway.

When the moon's been full for months, what can you do to signal that something extra-freaky's going to happen? You have to make it even more blindingly bright.

Feo sneaks into the hacienda and tells Gabi there's a price on his head. She tells him to take the money. He says it's tempting, but they can't leave. First he has to get his revenge on the Reyes. He's going to teach them what Fernando Escandón is capable of!

Fermin has just finished teaching a crowd of people what Fernando Escandón is capable of. They disapprove. "And to assist him in these misdeeds, Gabriela Acevedo protected him! This woman, whom we all know was excommunicated, has dedicated herself to protecting evil!" The angry mob agrees that she must pay. They'll bring her to justice! They arm themselves with torches. (I don't see any pitchforks. Too bad. That would have been a nice touch.)

A lone man in black follows behind the rest of the crowd as they approach Frankenstein Castle.

Gabi is alone now, still wearing her coat. Well, not totally alone - she's got Brandy! An open Bible catches her eye. She gasps and knocks it off the table. She does the same with a cross, but neglects the rosary on the wall. She opens the suitcase and buries her face in the money. She puts a cloak on over her coat.

The lights get all blinky and crazy, then go out. The ghost of Bernardo turns the light back on and taunts her about her guilty conscience while a choir blares. The gang of angry ruffians is getting closer to the house; someone is carrying a sturdy rope with a noose.

Gabi sobs and tells Bernardo he has no right - he should be burning in hell! She'll pray that he burns there for centuries. He asks if she thinks her prayers are worth anything, since she's the personification of wickedness and depravity. She tells him to shut up and go away; he doesn't exist. He says he's in her conscience, which won't leave her in peace.

Fatima passes by the door with a stack of clean towels and hears Gabi crying that she has a clear conscience; she's always behaved honestly with all of them. Gabi accuses him of cheating with Libia. That's when her torment began. Even in death he doesn't leave her alone. GET OUT!!!

Fatima peeks inside and sees Gabi alone on the floor. She concludes that Gabi's lost her marbles.

Bernardo tells Gabi that because he's in her conscience, as long as she's alive he'll be with her.

One of the works comes in, warning Fatima that the people of the town are on their way to hang Gabi. Fatima passes the word to Gabi, but she is still reacting to Bernardo and yelling at him.

Meanwhile, the sisters assure Sofía that she's still their sister, which should actually go without saying since they still have the same father and also because they already discussed this at the clinic. They also say that she's still welcome at their house. She doesn't think their mother will want to see her again. Jimena says in that case, they'll all live at Grandpa's cottage. Sarita points out that it's their father's house and he willed it all to Sofía anyway. Sofi doesn't want it, but they're excited about the triple-wedding and they want to be together. She'll never leave them, even if Gabi opposes it.

Gabi wanders outside; I'm not sure if she's even aware of the mob at first. A terrific pain seizes her chest, and she falls to the ground. She struggles to her feet, and now she's definitely aware of the mob. She tries to get away, but she can barely walk. Finally she works up a good run, but since the crowd is about five feet behind her at this point, she doesn't get very far.

The Reaper paces patiently in the foreground as they catch up with her.

As usual, she demands that they leave her alone, and insists that she did nothing. Fermin accuses her of harboring Feo, who has been identified as Pad Tad's intended killer (I'm not sure how they knew about this). Some of the guys throw the rope over a stout branch. Gabi wails in despair as they place the noose around her neck.

Why the blue recap? Because I'm sad. After more than two and a half years of recapping, I have to stop... at least for a while. For reasons that don't exactly need to be a secret but I don't really want to discuss, I need to downgrade to basic cable for a while. Comcast doesn't include Univision in basic service for my city, even though it's a Boston station. (I can still watch YouTube, but my connection is really slow and it's pretty miserable to watch anything on the computer for more than a few minutes at a time.)

When I eventually get Univision back, unfortunately, I may not have enough flexibility in my work schedule to handle a late night (getting up at 5 or earlier for a long commute). So it might be quite some time before I can recap again.

I cannot tell you all how much I have enjoyed recapping, and how much I appreciate all the fun, support, and camaraderie I've found here. I'll do my best to keep up with MEPS via the recaps here so I don't totally miss out on everything!

Mexico airdate: 24 y 27 de octubre

Labels:


Comments:
...and may I add, once again, NOBODY DIED TONIGHT.

I'm like a good luck charm for these people. Nobody dies on my watch!
 

"You, ma'am" (she almost calls her "Mama," but catches herself in time), "the only thing you've earned is my CONTEMPT."

Sofia also switches from Tu to Ustedes at that point... I almost thought she would address her as Dona Gabriela. Instead addresses her as senora...

Is this the end of Gabriela? Death by hanging... Getting lynched.. Will someone rescue her? Que lastima. In a way I feel sorry for her. They should put her in a sanitarium. Somehow I don't have the hatred for her the way I do with Ricardo and Fernando despite all she's done. I'm happy that Sofia and Eva finally found each other.


Ibarramedia
 

Oh Julie...make that DARK-blue ink. I am so sad as well. Your style of writing just delights me, your subtle sense of humor and the crazy words you come up with. Like Carlos, I will always remember "booger snot-nosed kids" and I loved today's super-sweet "foreverty-ever"!

Also your opening paragraph...Revenge is a dish best served cold and Gabriela is the entrée.

You're in a class by yourself. Hoping to see you back writing SOON.
 

Julie, Thank you for another wonderful recap. Your writing is clear and concise and always perfectly detailed. I especially love your insights: "His face is deeply scarred, as if he got caught in one of Gabi's trademark conflagrations."

Your recaps will be sorely missed. Again, thanks for everything and hope it's not too long before you are back.

Enjoyed the Sofia/Eva reunion and thought it very touching. Adela can really convey her emotions beautifully.

In spite of thinking Gabi deserves justice, I am kind of horrified at the hanging and hope it doesn't come to pass.

Happy that Rigo appears to be all right.

When will they find Ruth? Diana in MA
 

Julie, you will certainly be missed by me. I remember you from the very beginning of Fea. I hope you will be back eventually.

Here in NYC Univision and Telemundo are on basic cable, of course, but I suppose you don't have many Spanish speakers in your area.
 

OMG! Julie, This is truly awful. But are you sure you can't pick it up somewhere? I live in RI during the summer, without cable or internet, just a regular old rabbit ears antenna and I could pick up WUNI (channel 27) in Providence. Some nights it was static-y and I had to play around with the antenna placement, but I watched anyway and it kept me in the loop. I don't know what to expect after the switch to digital, but some are saying they can pick up more channels than before.

I will miss your wonderful recaps, but hope to catch you here on Caraycaray! (at least when I have internet). Hasta la vista!

(I posted this by mistake on the Cuidado blog, sorry, I get confused before I've had my coffee)
 

It is sad you will no longer recap. Thank you for the wonderful recaps. Gook luck.
 

We'll miss you like crazy, loyal Caray Caray recapper! Come back to us soon!
 

The title and opening of this recap were great - thanks for a great one!

I'm all for justice also, but lynching by a crazed torch-bearing mob is a bit much. (The mob ought to be going after the commissario who doesn't get them any justice through the normal channels.) In that huge hacienda, there must have been somewhere that she could have hidden until the mob passed.

I loved the "naughter" reference to Rosario! Did we ever know who her mother really was?
 

Julie!~~~You are the master !!! I always look forward to reading your recaps. They are so clever and wellcrafted. I will certainly miss having you do recaps, but I hope that you will still make comments. I don't want to lose your humor and your insight...which are always bright spots in my day. Crabby was doing some serious layering with the black leather trench coat topped with the black cape. I must admit that I , too, wear a lot of black and tend to layer in this cold weather. From now on, whenever I do , I'll think of Crabby. Towards the end, there were some really horrible shots of Crabby. She looked truly monstrous. I never expected a lynch mob to be the source of her demise. The sc enes were reniniscent of Frankenstein's pursuers. I thought she would be killed by Ferd or perhaps trip into some bottomless pit since the writers made such a big point a while back about her fearing enclosed spaces . Oh, by the way, my boss's daughter works for Univision , and my boss said yesterday that Univision won it's case in court against Telemundo. The daughter just closed a 35 million deal with Coca Cola, so we can expect to see lots of Coke ads in the future. Thanks for all your superb, funny recaps Julie, and please stay with us here. It wouln't be the same here without you. [By the way, if you want to see a new short flick starring Highlanders Methos, Joe, And Amanda, it's on Hulu.com.It's kind of a bittersweet look at these three as to what's happening with them now.]
 

Julie, I am so sad you will not be with us! Your recaps are also so detailed and funny. Hopefully you will be able to check in with us somehow.

I agree that the boo hoo scenes went on too long. Ok we get it now move on.

What is the name of that song that the boys all sing? I thought it was called Fuego en la Sangre but I can't seem to find it.
 

Thanks to everybody yesterday who contributed a memorable phrase or word that we can take away from this Telenovela. I'm posting what I have so far and some I don't know the meaning so if someone could fill that in I'll repost it.

1. Sueltame—Let me go
2. Por el amor del dios—For the love of God
3. nunca jamas—Never ever
4. maldita sea—damn it
5. malhaya—a curse word
6. No me toque—don’t touch me
7. para siempre—for always or always
8. Chirrion--a farm dumpcart for carrying dung; a chat between lovers
9. Larguese - Go away! Or get out!
10. bete- leave.
11. Dejeme en paz-Leave me alone
12. No Moleste- Don't be a pest
13. Descanse en paz-rest in peace
14. Mira me- Look at me.
15. Te lo suplico—I beg you
16. ¡me las va a pagar
17. ¡maldito desgraciado
18. ¡desgraciado muerto de hambre
19. ¡maldito infeliz--
20. ¡no te angusties¡
21. calmate—calm down
22. ¡no te alteres! (always from sofia to gabi)
23. como te atreves
24. Tranquilo-calm down
25. Maldito Perro!
26. No te precupes—don’t worry
27. no puede ser—It can’t be
28. Donde esta mi hija?—Where is my daughter
29. Bien Muerte—Deader than dead
 

Julie - Thank you for the recrap. I haven't seen this episode yet. I appreciate all the time and labor you have put into the recraps and will miss you on the MEPS pages.

What a bummer that you'll no longer get Looneyvision. Comcast is a/k/a Comcr@p, in my book. One has to pay for digital/HD to get T'mundo here and have one of those big black digital boxes.

We got a new TV recently that (unknown to us when we bought it) has a built-in digital tuner, so that one gets T'mundo as well as Uni in HD, but no closed captions-WAH!-, because it's coming in over the airwaves instead of (and in addition to) my cable.

Thank you again for all your recapping.
 

Julie, thank you so much for a great "final" recap from your delightful and witty mind. I came to Fels and Caray2 late in the game (and didn't post much)but have grown to really appreciate all the creative recappers words. You've added so much to my FELS enjoyment. Thank you!! Dee2
 

Thanks, everybody.

Yes, I am sure I can't get the Boston station with an antenna right now. New Bedford is geographically different than Providence. However, I'm going to see what happens after the transition. Based on my reception of other stations that are already broadcasting full-blast in digital now, it doesn't look good.

As far as I can tell, Telemundo's not available in ANY Comcast lineup in New Bedford. I'm not sure about Galavision. Telefutura is available with "expanded basic" in most neighboring communities, but not here.

There are Spanish-speaking people here, but without getting into a long, angry story about local politics and the business realities of broadcasting, let's just say that Comcast had to make a choice. The result is that the basic cable lineup has one non-English station - a local independent one - and it's not Spanish.
 

Well, here it is the final FELS week and after watching so many hours week after week, I’m finally beginning to see FELS as an example of a sophisticated art form, a multilayered work heavy with symbolism. It is first of all a story of the corrosive power of greed and how it affects a revered bond, mother and child. It is a story of motherhood of many kinds. Rosario, the single mother struggling to raise her child, Lidia, whose motherhood was never fulfilled; Sofia, the mother bearing the pain of the theft of her child; the ever searching Eva; Racquel, the childless mother, and finally, Gabriela, the woman with a large cavity where a mother’s heart should be. The Virgincita, the perfection of motherhood. The symbolism is everywhere. The serpent, the Biblical symbol of evil, and while considering things biblical the Three Kings followed a glowing star to Bethlehem, while the Tres Reyes are guided by a glowing flower. The hacienda with its stout walls and massive door symbolizes our attempts to keep evil and unpleasantness at bay, but fail in their mission as they prove all too porous. The Llorona (not known in Spain or Cuba by the way according to my sources) represents the mind’s wandering through dark places in response to grief while Quintina and her sometimes near grotesque garb and bizarre behavior reminds that in the midst of great sorrow, other stories go on in parallel. Water, usually a life symbol is turned inside out and operates differently. Lidia dies at the waterfall, the baby is stolen in a downpour, and Ricardo meets his end under similar conditions. The confrontations between Padre Tadeo and Fernando make vivid the struggle between good and evil. Do they all really take place or do they take place in one or the other of the men’s minds? The moon is always full, making it difficult to mark time. Is that important? All of this takes place against the backdrop of a people who practice an unsophisticated faith that expects miracles and answers to prayer. The story is told, not with the realistic strokes of a Renoir, but in more expressionist fashion where continuity and sharp focus are made subservient to the interaction between characters. The seal of confession doctrine is bent and twisted to fit the story. People meet under improbable circumstances, but doesn’t that also take place in grand opera? This novella reaches a deeper……..oops wait a minute, I’ve suffered a BRA malfunction (Beanie Restraint Assembly). Let me adjust that.. that’s better. Hey who wrote all that stuff in my comment space? I’ll just leave it as a reminder of what happens when you go for the cheaper beanie model. It might have also interfered with my ADD (Anvil Drop Detector).

Abuelo P
 

I was a late to arrive at Caray, Caray also, but it sure has helped me understand some of the things I couldn't quite get. Gracias a todo.

Rosario's mom is that singer that came to the club, can't remember her name.

We are getting digital in June & I also have Comcrap. I would like to get DVR, my friend loves Tivo, but I think I'll wait until the conversion. Anyone use Tivo with digital? On one of the Tivo's you can record 2 channels at the same time but after looking closer only one can be digital, the other is analog. So what good is it after the conversion? Any thoughts from you will be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to pay Comcast the monthly fee for their DVR.
 

Now, onto happier things:

I will feel badly if that mob really does hang Gabi. Not for Gabi's sake - she had countless chances to change course - but for their own sakes.

And I'm still disappointed I didn't see any pitchforks.

It's just as well that she left the house for them to catch her; otherwise, they probably would have burnt the place out (at least most of the inside should be flammable). I think that's what they did to Dr. Frankenstein's place.

Regarding "bete," I think the word you're looking for is "vete."

Thanks for the Highlander tip about Hulu, Susanlynn!
 

Thanks for the reality check, Abuelo P.!

Variopinta, unless you've looked ahead and know know something we don't (in which case please don't say anything), the singer who came to town (Margarita) was NOT Rosario's mother - at least, she retracted her claim when Rosario didn't have the expected birthmark on her foot.

Ofelia claimed that Original Rosario died very young, and that the Rosario we know was given to her by some random lady on the street. This sounded cockamamie to me, and I've always suspected that Ofelia simply had the birthmark removed.

However, if that - or something similar to explain how birthmarkless Rosario could have been Margarita's daughter - is what really happened, it has not been revealed yet.
 

Variopinta - we rent one Comcr@p DVR and can record two digital channels at the same time; we just cannot be watching a 3rd channel at the same time but we can be watching a DVD or VCR while 2 channels are recording.
A friend had Tivo and I for get why but they switched to the Comcast DVR and really like it.

AbueloP - "I’ve suffered a BRA malfunction (Beanie Restraint Assembly)." Well that is too funny. I love it! BRA malfunction....LOL
 

Abuelo P. ~~~ Wow That was a truly brilliant and detailed analysis of all the symbolism it what appeared to be just a wacky show. Thanks. Julie , Have you had a chance to check out Hulu yet ? I'm interested in your reaction. It was kind of fun to see the three back together again minus Duncan. [Adrian has become lost in some awful B movies on Scifi.] I wish it had been longer. Did you know that they are planning to remake the original Highlander movie ?
 

P.S. Julie, the little short film is entitled ''Reunion'' by the way.
 

Julie,
Tks, see I hadn't come to Caray, Caray yet!!!
 

Thanks for the correction Julie. I will make that change.
 

1. Sueltame—Let me go
2. Por el amor del dios—For the love of God
3. nunca jamas—Never ever
4. maldita sea—damn it
5. malhaya—a curse word
6. No me toque—don’t touch me
7. para siempre—for always or always
8. Chirrion--a farm dumpcart for carrying dung; a chat between lovers
9. Larguese - Go away! Or get out!
10. vete- leave.
11. Dejeme en paz-Leave me alone
12. No Moleste- Don't be a pest
13. Descanse en paz-rest in peace
14. Mira me- Look at me.
15. Te lo suplico—I beg you
16. ¡me las va a pagar
17. maldito desgraciado
18. desgraciado muerto de hambre
19. maldito infeliz--
20. no te angusties¡
21. calmate—calm down
22. no te alteres! (always from sofia to gabi)
23. como te atreves
24. Tranquilo-calm down
25. Maldito Perro!
26. No te precupes—don’t worry
27. no puede ser—It can’t be
28. Donde esta mi hija?—Where is my daughter
29. Bien Muerte—Deader than dead
 

Julie, I'm so disappointed that you won't be recapping. I can't imagine that you won't be able to receive Univision. Here in Houston I believe we would have riots if they were to take away any of our Spanish channels. We have at least 6 Spanish channels that are broadcast over the airwaves (actually probably even more). Like Judy, "snot booger kid" is forever etched in my mind. As for last night's episode, the scenes between Sofia and Eva, Sofia and Gabriella seemed to go on para siempre. I was very disturbed by the lynch mob although I definitely want Gabriella to get a long drink of justice. And Abuelo P, wow, you summed up nicely what we've all be thinking. Thanks. Carlos
 

Julie, thank you so much for your final recap. Sorry that you won't be able to join us in the nbear future, there must be a relatively easy way to stay with us. Maybe you could talk to Comcast, see if there isn't a solution. (I, for the life of me, in this computerized pay-per-view day do not understand why they haven't used that pay-per-view capability to TRULY customize cable service; pay for what you watch, and not have to worry about, and pay for, all the other. Oops, my corporate America beany slipped. Anyway, that's why I do not buy into the concept [b.s.] of cable service)
Doris- I get captioning from my rabbit ears, my old TV allows it, and even I figured out how to do it w/o the instructions.
Abuleltio P- WOW!, my high school English teacher, Farrel Taylor would have given you kudos for that fine symbolism treatise. You really covered every concievable facet of this jewel. I think that some of the symbolism might be inadvertant, however. I'm not sure that these writers are really all that "artistic", judging by all the odd things that they have done along the way.
Now, on with the show- like everyone else, Ya! Basta! with the "reunion" scene with Eva and Sofia, even tho this has been a crucial part of the story, WE GET IT. Adela and Maria did a fine job together in the scene, and I did enjoy it; it just went on too long...The groundskeeper really did give his new patron a creepy smile. I don't think that Feo is gonna be safe there; there is a nice reward for him, I'll bet more than what Feo has to offer...I don't think that they will really hang Crabi, it doesn't even make sense, she never wronged the townspeolpe, (other tahn being a bitch), and she's already been publically excommunicated, the ultimate disgrace, I would think. I think the Juan is going to be out looking for Feo, find the mob, and stop it. He IS the hero, afterall, and must be heroic throughout. Crabi won't die, but be locked up and tormented by Bernardo as long as she lives. I don't think that the ship's hawser that they had around her neck was up to the task, anyway. Feo certainly will have to be killed, probably in a final good/evil conflict with Juan, maybe even P Tad...Loved it that Oscar seemed to be doing the thinking/planning for Muttonchops, who just said-"Like he said! Make it happen." I really did LOL at that one. The endings are always so much fun on the TNs, this one no exception..
 

I will get around to the Hulu thing eventually, Susanlynn, but probably not until this weekend! I am looking forward to it.

Not sure the original Highlander movie really needs to be remade, but what the heck. I always liked the premise, but found the movie itself a bit dull (really!), so a rework would might improve it for me.

Remakes, remakes... I'm fascinated by how many of the telenovelas we've watched have been remakes - either of shows from other countries, or sometimes even shows that already aired in Mexico. Or pieced together from bits of multiple previous shows.

I can understand the business case for making money off of a proven formula, believe me. But I wonder if audiences wouldn't pounce on something really unique.
 

Thank you for your faithfulness. I think I can speak for those who don't often post but delight in your recaps. Melissa aka MHM
 

Maybe if we put all our beanies together we can beam a signal to Julie. What do you think?
 

Julie, I loathe Comcast myself. I live on the south shore and while it's still on our basic cable line up (at least for now), I think we are the only household in our area watching Uni. Transmission problems (from Worcester) are frequent and when I call to complain I'm always told no one else has so there you go.

Now I'm going to further blame them for us losing one of our best (and most dedicated) recappers. Blech. Diana
 

For whatever it's worth, I promise that I'm not planning to fall off the face of the earth. I still plan to follow MEPS via recaps and comments. I'll even look on youtube once in a while if there's a spectacular phone-throwing incident I need to see. :-)

And I'm highly motivated to get myself back into a situation where I can recap again!
 

What exactly was the point of Crabi walking through the house with a candleabra?
 

As a silent lurker (slurker?) to this site, I just wanted to jump in and express my dismay at losing Julie as a recapper. Your concise and funny recaps always brightened up these last few months of cold, gray Tuesday mornings. Here's hoping it's temporary. And may I add that I'm glad we didn't have to suffer through another Juan/Sofia breakup over his withholding of who is her verdadera madre. ¡Ya basta! from me too, and gracias, Julie.
Marianne
 

No puede ser and que lastima, Julie, and I really mean it. I found Caray while watching Destilando and have enjoyed your recaps since. You're observant and as others say, insightful. I love your sense of humor... you caught on to the perpetual full moon in FELS and phone throwing in DA early on. Hope you are able to return as a recapper some day as you have an appreciative audience. Thanks for the laughs. GinCA
 

Julie, my daughter lives in Randolph which is just outside of Boston. She has the basic Comcast hookup in the spare bedroom where we stay when we visit her. I watch Univision on channel 17 and I can even get the captions.
I discovered this while LFMB was on.
 

I'm glad you mentioned the swarm of gnats, Julie. I was paying more attention to them than the dialogue, waiting for one to fly into Slofia's or Eva's mouth, as they yammered on and on. Where's the bug spray anyway? There is ecofriendly bug spray though it doesn't smell very pretty. GinCA
 

That was just ***Classic*** Got to love Gabirela walking up the stairs with a candelabra. What happened to the power? Then we just see the lights flicker on and off then lo and behold the spotlight is on Gabi as she talks to herself looking at the espejo. You can't get any more dramatic than that. Lol.

I loved the scene of Fatima peeking into the bedroom to see Gabi going nuts... I really think it was her conscience and mind playing tricks on her. Plus she has had a lot of that jerez.

Fernando on the other hand really did see the ghost of Rosario a few times.


Ibarramedia
 

I noticed the bugs too! That's funny. They were driving me crazy. I totally stopped listening to what they were saying.
 

Julie~~~Wow..Look at these comments and feel the love, Girl !!!!
 

Julie, I feel your pain, I'm going to have to reduce down to basic soon, but out here in So Cal, uni is part of the basic pkg. If enough people called in to the company demanding it, they would add it probably.
Why do I get the feeling that
a) Juan is going to save her (that damn dogooder)
or
b) it's a dream
 

Thanks for the recap Julie and I too am sorry you will be leaving us temporarily. You've been so faithful and informative and such a fun blogger. You will truly be missed!!
 

Julie, sorry nobody died on your watch! You are truly one of the treasures here on Caray Caray. You will be missed and I hope that favorable circumstances will smile on you again soon.
:o)
Abuelo P: Whoa, Dude!
Connie: Thanks for the comprehensive phrase list, Amiga!
Everyone: As for Feo--when you are living in the cemetary, what do you do for toilet paper?
"Creemelo"
 

Hmmmm Creemelo, i'll have to think on that one. Rags maybe?
 

Well guys, people have been around a whole lot longer than toilet paper. I believe in the good old days, leaves were the wipe of choice. Carefully chosen, of course.

Julie, I love reading all these tributes to you. You deserve all that and more.
 

Hmm, by the same token, what do you do for food when you're living in a cemetary?

Let's ignore the obvious, morbid, illegal, unsanitary, possibly blasphemous, hilarious answer and assume that he's sneaking into the house/cabaña for food and, er, freshening up.

Realistically, this probably means one meal a day. But that's fine. Poor nutrition is GREAT for a brain that's already malfunctioning.
 

Other popular personal cleanliness aids throughout history have included unwanted catalog pages and dried corncobs. I don't know if Feo brought any of those with him, though.
 

Julie: bummer to lose you & your wonderful recraps. Believe it or not, I don't have cable (by choice) but in Hartford, I can get the local channel, or should I say could because tonight they turn off the analog signal. So, I pleaded with the hubster to hook me up (yikes, I sound like an addict) to the converter box. Here's hoping it works! It must, because Fernando Colunga is just around the corner! Anywho, muchas gracias for your steady recrapping despite the loonacy of FELS. LOL at "naughter"!!!!!

Back to the non-action: the Eva/Slofia reunion scene was a bit too drawn out. By the 3rd go-around, it was overplayed, overteared, overhugged & just plain boring. Yada yada [snifff] yada.

Crabs ala Frankenstein....hmmmm...fitting, in a twisted way but then again, isn't that what FELS is all about? Some form or another of twisted torture.

Where's Pablito?

Getting ready for the collective cheer at the Gran Final!!!

Maggarita
:-)
 

I want to know who the skull belonged to and why was it in the shed.
 

The candleabra scene brought images of Phantom of the Opera.
 

".... unwanted catalog pages and dried corncobs. I don't know if Feo brought any of those with him, "

I'm hoping he's using poison ivy and doesn't know what it is.
 

Julie, I'm sure going to miss reading your darn funny recaps! Good luck and hope to hear from you again real soon! I filled in some of the phrases that were missing this afternoon-
1. Sueltame—Let me go
2. Por el amor del dios—For the love of God
3. nunca jamas—Never ever
4. maldita sea—damn it
5. malhaya—a curse word
6. No me toque—don’t touch me
7. para siempre—for always or always
8. Chirrion--a farm dumpcart for carrying dung; a chat between lovers
9. Larguese - Go away! Or get out!
10. vete- leave.
11. Dejeme en paz-Leave me alone
12. No Moleste- Don't be a pest
13. Descanse en paz-rest in peace
14. Mira me- Look at me.
15. Te lo suplico—I beg you
16. ¡me las va a pagar-you’ll pay for it
17. maldito desgraciado-damn loser
18. desgraciado muerto de hambre
19. maldito infeliz--
20. no te angusties¡-don’t get upset
21. calmate—calm down
22. no te alteres! (always from sofia to gabi)
23. como te atreves-how dare you?
24. Tranquilo-calm down
25. Maldito Perro!-damn dog!
26. No te precupes—don’t worry
27. no puede ser—It can’t be
28. Donde esta mi hija?—Where is my daughter
29. Bien Muerte—Deader than dead

Liza in SA
 

Julie, Thanks for a fine run of excellent recaps. This was another and let's hope just the last one for a short time and not your last. We're going to miss you and your fine sense of humor and extensive detail. I have been on the "Tuesday isn't a day to die either" train so I can commisserate when no one dies on Mondays. I am just grateful that your session ended with a noose around Gabriela's neck so that means my last FELS will start with a noose around Gabriela's neck. It has been a real pleasure to be on Team FELS with you. Buena suerta, amiga.
 

I just thought of something:

Fernando killed Libia and her unborn baby for nothing because Bernardo willed everything to Sofia.
 

For awhile there wasn't Juan calling everyone (including Root) "chamaca"?
"Creemelo"
 

Julie: this is a bitter sweet recap all things considered. Your sense of humor is unique and it's going to be missed. I hope things bring you back to us soon.

"because revenge is a dish best served cold, and she's the entree" / "buzzkills Franco and Oscar"/and "naughter" are definite keepers. Thanks also for filling in the blanks since I guess the satelite they receive from here got screwed up so the action froze for 5 minutes at a time during a couple scenes and cut out some of the scene and discussions.

I'm looking forward to the time you're able to come back in full recapper mode. 9 8 ? ))
 

Thsnks Julie for your last recap for now. I'm with the group that hopes that Gabi doesn't die a horrible death. Afterall, she was very outspoken about everyone and everybody that she hated. Yet, nothing could keep the people she hated out of her site. Sophia continued to torment her with her site. God is forgiving. I wish her the best. She was my favorite character from the beginning to the end of the novela.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder