Thursday, February 05, 2009

Las tontas no van #44, Wed 2/4. Chava gets better, Marissa gets worse, and Candy says, "Get lost."

Kris had something come up, and she won’t be able to write Wednesday’s recap. I told her I’ll do a bare-bones version. It’s 11 PM and I’m starting it right now. Bear with me. I’m not taking the time to decipher CC’s, so if I get something wrong, please correct me.

Isabel and Jaime are discussing wedding plans. Jaime is eager to get married as soon as possible. He is particularly looking forward to the honeymoon. Isabel is fretting. She’s worried that they need to work out all the details of her household, such as, who will take care of the girls while Santiago is on his honeymoon?

At the hospital, we see a montage of Chava’s recovery. So those who predicted that he’d be well by Friday were right, except that more time passed in TV land.

Candy goes to the big house to implore Luc to tell anything she knows about where Charly is. Meño is really suffering from the loss. Luc claims she hasn’t heard a word from him, but Candy’s look says she doesn’t believe her.

In the hospital cafeteria, Pat tells Candy that Chava needs to know that “I’m his dad.” Candy and Pat are working together instead of screaming at each other. Santiago is glad to see that Candy is finally talking to Pat as she should have, eight years ago. Santi is also glad, for Chava’s sake. But along with that, you can see some worry about what this reconciliation with Pat portends for him. Nonetheless, when the doctors tell Candy that Chava had a complete recovery, and Candy wholeheartedly thanks Santi, Santi reminds her that the one she really needs to thank is Pat; he’s the one who saved Chava’s life.

Back in Santi’s office, he gives Candy a supportive hug. She says, “You’ll take any excuse you can find, to hug me.” With the crisis over, Santiago feels liberated to return to some good-natured blatant flirting. Candy tells him, “There’ll be no more of that. You’re engaged.” At this point I threw my shoe at the TV. While Candy has a crisis, she wants Santi at her back and call, 24x7, oh, and thank you for the several thousand dollars you provided for the operation. But my son’s all better now, so leave me alone. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Candy tells Santiago she thinks Lucía is hiding Charly.

Pat tells Alicia that he’s taking his son to the movies. Alicia has a fit of jealousy. I shall abbreviate that “FOJ” for the remainder of this recap. Coming out of the theater, Beto calls Pat “Papa.” Beto wants to know how he can have a cool car like Pat’s. Study hard, eat your Wheaties, and get born into a rich family (I added the last two).

In his office, Santiago is considering Pilar’s threat. By the time he and Ed arrive in surgery, Santi has figured out what he is going to do. Isabel stops by the office, and her son notices how happy she has looked lately. “Is it love, mama?” Yes, that’s what is making her so happy. Santiago cowboys up. “Then I wish you every happiness. He’d better treat you well or he’ll have me to answer to.” (Sound familiar, anyone?) Isabel notices that, while she’s very excited about her upcoming wedding, the same cannot be said for her son. He doesn’t have an answer for her. Chalk up another very sweet scene between Santiago and his mother.

In his room, Meño is again thinking about losing Charly. He’s consumed by guilt because he has only himself to blame.

Candy thanks Pat for saving her son. Pat reminds her, as he does many times in this episode, that Chava is our son. Pat says he’s glad that every time Candy looked at Chava, she was reminded of Pat. Yes, Candy remembered him every day, but you can tell she’s not so glad.

Santiago tells Donato that he thinks Luc is hiding Charly at the house, and he asks Don to look into it. Don points out that you get much better intelligence info if you pay off the butler.

In Chava’s bedroom, Candy confesses to her son that she has lied to him (No puede serrrrr!). His father is alive. Chava is thrilled! It’s.. it’s.. it’s Patricio, and Pat walks in with Beto. “Pat is your father and Beto is your brother.” Hugs all around. Chava says, “I want to hug my mom and dad.” Chava is thrilled. Pat is fulfilled. Candy is stressed. Alicia walks in and has a FOJ. “Ain’t that cute?” Soledad picks that moment to walk in. Alicia thinks it’s quite a Payton Place we have here. She asserts loudly, “Well, he’s my HUSBAND! Pat reminds her of the uncomfortable truth: Not exactly. He never divorced Candy, and she’s not dead, so it’s bigamy. Alicia, ever the loving sister, reprises her FOJ and informs Pat, “She hid your son from you 8 years. You have legal right to punish her.” For being “totally in love” with Pat for so many years, she has absolutely no idea what makes him tick!

Tina and Lucía are in the kitchen. Tina is in on Lucía’s secret, and she is helping prepare a lunch tray for Charly. In the best telenovela tradition, Donato is listening behind the door. He hides and watches Luc take the tray down to the basement. We all knew Santi would find out that Charly’s staying there. The question is, will Don rat out Tina for being an accomplice?

Raúl goes to Santiago’s office to make sure his friend does right by his sister. He says, “You wanna’ be a good dad? Forget about Candy.” Santi reminds him that he’s a good father, but pardon me, best buddy, this is for me the couple to resolve, not the metiche future brother-in-law. IOW, butt out.

Sabes que? I’d feel a whole lot more compassion for pregnant Marissa and her wandering, disinterested boyfriend, if she hadn’t lied about her fertility status in order to entrap him with a pregnancy. Just like Alicia, she used dirty tricks to capture the man she wanted, and just like Alicia, she’ll end up with a man who resents her because he wants to be with Candy. If they’re going to play like that, they have to edit the “happily ever after” line out of their stories.

Out on the street, in a FOJ, Alicia is terrified that Pat is going to move out. He tells her he doesn’t want Candy and doesn’t intend to live with her. Alicia squares off with him and demands, “Then divorce her.”

While Pat and Alicia are on the street pondering living arrangements, Candy and Soledad are in the kitchen pondering sleeping arrangements. Candy is shocked that Soledad is sleeping with Pat. She says, “How can you be so stupid?” Did you ever wonder how Candy keeps any friends? Sol tells Candy that Alicia knows and has accepted it. Maybe Alicia does, but Candy doesn’t. She kicks Soledad out.

Remember the sweet popcorn, the night Candy stayed at Santiago’s house because of hamster infestation? Well, tonight we have bitter popcorn. Santiago is on the same sofa in the same TV room. Marissa comes in and tries to sit on his lap but kinda’ awkwardly falls, half on his lap and half on the couch. Santiago looks like he’d rather be passing a kidney stone right now. She invites him to feel her belly for kicks, but he doesn’t feel anything. Then she puts her head in his lap. Isn’t that sweet and warm? Except that every time that he starts to doze off, she insists that he wake up. We’re supposed to be having a loving moment here, Buster! Shape up!

Back at her apartment, Marissa is talking to her belly. “When we’re married, your papa will live for me alone. And for you. We need to send Luc somewhere. Like Europe.”

At her house, Candy and Pat are trading accusations.
Candy: You slept with my sister and never apologized.
Pat: And I won’t.
Candy: And you made Soledad pregnant when I thought I was your only.
Pat: That’s the past. I’m not going to say I’m sorry.
Notice, someone else who is as unremorseful as Candy!
Candy: Get out!
Pat: You robbed me of my son for 8 years.

Isabel and Marissa are bringing packages home from a shopping trip. Mar says Luc is impossible, and Isabel says she’s just a normal teenager. Donato looks at the pregnant woman struggling with the packages but refuses to help. “I won’t help her because she’s going to fire me.” Isabel is stunned.

Chaya insists that Ed help with household duties. He can cook or he can do the laundry. He is his usual pig self, and threatens to go out for the night if she doesn’t watch out. Chaya doesn’t watch out. Ed heads for the door and keeps giving Chaya opportunities to call him back. Which she doesn’t.

My notes are unclear on this part. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Meño counsels Candy that she has to face the consequences of playing dead for 8 years. She sidesteps. Candy says Santiago prefers his pregnant novia. She whines, “I just wanna’ talk with him.”

In the basement, Lucía is trying to cheer up Charly, but he’s too angry and depressed.

Outside Candy’s house, Gregoria, Alicia, and Candy have a lovely mother-daughter chat.
Alicia: Leave my husband alone or we’ll take your son.
Candy: He has amante, 2 sons, now me.
Alicia: He belongs to me.
Candy: You’re stupid!

Labels:


Comments:
Paula, an excellent job and hardly a "bare-bones version". :)

Two of your comments really stood out. The first was: "Did you ever wonder how Candy keeps any friends?" Yes, constantly. I really want to like her but can't quite get there. She is a loving mother and neice but the truth is she's simply too selfish and self absorbed. She never stops to consider the consequences of her actions and continually fails to let others try and explain their actions. Rather than listening to Soledad, she dismisses her.

Your second comment was relating to Pat: "Notice, someone else who is as unremorseful as Candy!" Pat's words in that particular discussion did make it seem as though that were the case. In fairness, I think those words came from an incredible sense of betrayal and hurt that his son was kept from him all those years. I do think Pat felt responsible for Candy's death but I don't think Candy sincerely regretted faking her death until the past caught up with her. I know Pat behaved very badly but I think he suffered a crisis of conscience far more than Candy.

I am glad Chava knows he does have a father who while far from perfect, does loves him. Every child should be so lucky. Diana in MA
 

I only like Patricio with the kids, he seems genuine and relaxed and sweet with those boys. The rest of the time he is stiff and unconvincing. I HATE the way he wrinkles his nose to indicate anger.
 

I am getting a bit concerned about the comments being made about Pat/Valentino. Today he is stiff and unconvincing, yesterday it was chipmunk teeth and funny hair.I am sorry but it makes me uncomfortable when people we don't know personally get attacked this way.The comments were not about the character he plays but about him personally and that should not be allowed on this lovely forum.
 

Dear Anonymous 9:43, my blog rule is: anything which appears on screen is fair game. We are not allowed to make comments about actors' personal lives or off-screen stuff but if it's on our tv we can opine away freely. It's just a show, don't take it too hard.
 

Paula, you are a hero for jumping in to help Kris at the last minute. I'm glad that it was a much more enjoyable episode than Monday's. You (and others) really called it when you said Chava would be cured by the weekend. Not realistic but certainly welcome. Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode.

About Marissa, I keep getting a feeling that she's faking her pregnancy, but that's not possible right? Maybe I feel that way because she's horrible and scheming and using her pregnancy as a trap.

I thought Patricio recovered quite rapidly from his shock over Candy's appearance and lies. It's amazing how he can be so likeable with the kids and so annoying in his relationships with grownups. Speaking of annoying, I wonder what kind of evilness Alicia will cultivate in her schemes to get Candy out of Pat's life?

Paula, thanks again for the stunning recap. It wasn't bare bones at all and you really saved the day. Gracias Amiga!!
 

Thanks you Paula! I enjoyed the recap very much. It wasn't bare bones to someone like me who barely understands any of what is being said!
When Pat wrinkles his nose I can't tell if he is trying to show he is angry or holding back a laugh.
He's great with the kids but not with the "grown-ups" or whatever they are suppose to be.
I like Pat and Soledad together and ditto Candy and Santi.
Marissa and Alicia are obnoxious and should just go off together.
I love Meno and Lulu.
Charly has been living in that basement an awfully long time. Doesn't anyone go down there?
Marissa is acting more and more the evil step mother.
What was up with the weird Pillar surgery? Will there be more to that bizarre twist? I hope not!
Saintly Santi makes tuning in all worth while!

Carrie L.
 

Just wanted to quickly say thanks to Paula for really pitching in at the very last minute, literally. My kitty and I thank you wholeheartedly.
 

Thanks for the recap Paula and, as others have mentioned, it wasn't "bare-boned" at all. You gave us all the scenes in detail.

ITA with Diana regarding Candy retaining friends. Candy's self centeredness is mind-blowing. She can judge others quite harshly but faked her own death and kept Pat from knowing he had a son for eight years. While adultery may be a bigger sin to her b/c of her wedding trauma, sin is sin and she has a boat load of her own.

I was happy to see Donato letting Santi's mom know what Marissa had said to him. And the scene between Santi and his mom was great.
 

Paula, great job, and also good analyses and opinions. I'm just going to add a few things for completeness, although they weren't really that important.

When Lucía told Candy she didn't know where Charly was, she added that they broke up. Candy could instantly see that Lucía didn't act upset in the least about this, and since Lucía had been so totally in love with Charly, if she really had broken up, she'd be destroyed. This clued Candy in to the fact that Lucía was lying.

When Donato refused to carry Marissa's box, he told Isabel that Marissa said that after Mari got married, she'd fire Donato. Mari then said "I never said that". Donato then said to Isabel, Madame, you know I don't lie. So Isabel realizes that not only would Marissa want to fire Donato, she's also a liar.

There was also a brief (not really important) scene where Lulu tells Sven and Ole she doesn't believe Meño is gay, but if he is, she'll cure him. She bets them she can get Meño to kiss her. Meño comes in, Lulu says give me a kiss, he kisses her cheek and leaves. The guys say it wasn't on the mouth, but she says I never said where he had to kiss me, and she takes their money.

I also wondered what's up with Pilar, since Santi apparently just went ahead and did the surgery. Hope nothing further comes from this, but something probably will.

I still don't see why Pat would not apologize for what he did with Alicia the wedding day, or for sleeping with Soledad when he told Candy she was his one and only. It doesn't matter if she's 10 times more guilty, he should still apologize.
 

Hombre I agree with you on why Pat won't apologize for his numerous indiscretions. I'm not sure Candy would believe him or care but it might be the mature thing to do - oh right I forget I was talking about Pat of the Peter Pan Complex.

Those poor little boys. It will be a miracle if they don't grow up scared for life after that revelation scene. First little Chava finds out his father is alive and who it is and then that he has a little brother although technically it is an older brother. Beto also gets a dose of this reality and he has already had to deal with two fathers and then capping it off Alicia swans in announcing Pat is her husband and the Chava's aunt since she and Candy are sisters. The little guys are only seven and some of us are starting to have trouble keeping the relationships straight.

The obvious big loser in this is Soledad. No more booty calls and gifts from Pat and you could see it by the look on her face. With Candy back in the picture she knows her goose is cooked and that she is probably number 3 on Pat's speed dial list.

Frankly with friends like Soledad Candy doesn't need friends. First off Candy found out about Soledad having slept with Pat before the wedding. Candy treated that like a one off and continued to be friends with the woman because of Beto and Chava's friendship. Then Soledad joined the Pat homophobic club and wouldn't let the boys play together and still Candy remained friends with her. As far as I can see Candy feels the latest revelation that Soledad is Pat's mistress when she full well knows about Candy and Chava is just the final betrayal. I would have kicked her out as well as the woman has no sense of sisterhood or loyalty.

Marissa has revealed all of her true colors - liar, schemer and desperate to hand on to man she knows doesn't love her. At the rate this is going I expect to see her and Alicia shrieking like cats on a back fence as they try to destroy Sweet Candy (sorry just couldn't resist that one).

Once again sweet scene with Santi an his mother just like the ones he always has with the kids and once in a while with Candy.

Oh and at one point Pat made one of those I'm so pi**ssed faces and rather than looking angry he looked downright ugly. VL doesn't do angry well.
 

Hombre d'M, thank you very much for fleshing it out. No worries. I knew I was missing a lot of the detail and I'm glad you filled it in for me.

As for why Pat won't apologize? Because he'a a match for Candy. They are both saying, "Even if I did something wrong, what you did is much worse, so I refuse to apologize to you." Faulty logic, but still, I like to see Pat standing up to Candy, and not letting her get away with all the crap she doles out. Notice every time she said "my son," he corrected, "OUR son."

Pat is no pillar of strength. But if Santiago had half as much backbone and Pat, he would have been married to Candy months ago, and by now they'd be decorating their baby's room.
 

Carrie & Hombre, "Pilar" was a Texas housewife's cover name. The outcome of the surgery was truly Bodacious.

Again, a tip of the hat to Paula who created a monster, and to my buddy who grew up in Passaic and keeps me apprised of the important things.
 

Paula, I not so convinced that Santi would be married to Candy because i have yet to hear any mention that he is divorced from Pau. I may have missed hearing it and it certainly seems likely but this is Novelaland with instant cures and invisible divorces so who knows.
 

Mike, OMG! The comments attached to the article are hilarious.
 

I'm just surprised that she doesn't work in telenovelas.
 

Don Francisco's people are working with her people for an appearance on the "Pongale Ritmo" dance contest on Sabado Gigante.
 

Gross, Mike! YUK!! I thought I taught you better.
Sorry, folks. That's what happens when the skillet is not applied to his head faithfully!
 

Hi Paula. Just getting to your wonderful recap. Now you know that you can write a stellar recap if you're pressed for time. It was clear, well-written and very funny.

Loved the FOJ and "Santi looks like he'd rather be passing a kidney stone".

You're a champ...for writing this on the fly and for helping out Kris. Blessings to you tutz.

Now I've got to go check out "bodacious"
 

Oh yeah...I loved the "Houston we have a problem" comment.

Mike, WHERE DO YOU FIND THESE THINGS!?

Emilia...that iron skillet is probably getting worn out. Let me know when you need a new one and I'll send you mine.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder