Friday, February 27, 2009

Las Tontas - Thurs 2/26 - Mystery date, are you ready for your mystery date? **

**Are any of you old enough to remember the Mystery Date game from the 60's? It was just one of the many tortures we girls were forced to endure from that era.

Ah well, enough reminiscing from the good old days of Mystery Date and Suzie Homemaker, our characters have their own problems to deal with...

Alicia asks Pato "Why are you with me?" He tells her the truth, he doesn't know. They made a big mistake but she was there for him when he was alone, so basically he owes her. She tells him he's afraid to be alone, he'd crumble. "And you would crumble (desmoronar) if I left you," he retorts. "No, I would die because I love you," she concludes, leaving him speechless.

Donato sneaks into the bridal chamber and replaces some photo with another. Who are these guys? OK, turns out he's removed a pic of Jaime's favorite futballer Omar Bravo and replaced it with Bruno Marioni. He proudly tells Santiago, snicker snicker.

Jaime complains to Isa about this. Seems stupid to me but it's a big deal to him. She thinks it's stupid too; is Bruno Marioni one of his sons, or an Italian scientist? Santi joins in and gets blamed. Donato finally fesses up. I can't believe I wasted time recapping this scene. Isa sighs that men are boys in long pants.

Candy and Chava roast marshmallows and tell scary stories under the perpetual half moon that always hangs high in the sky. She tells him not to be afraid because their tent is magically anti-fear. He tells her not to be afraid because he'll protect her. I'm surprised Pato's not lurking in the shrubbery. What am I saying? Of course he is, or will be soon.

Donato has a heart to heart with Santi. He's in love but it's an impossible love, she's married. Santi thought he liked Tina? But no, once he's alone Donato takes a small pic of Isa out of his pocket, sighs, and looks toward heaven. Aha! We knew it, right Carlos?

Raul visits Marissa and she bitches why is he always at her place? He's afraid, he doesn't understand how she's going to pay back Santi for all his infidelities. She snarls Santi is about to become one of the most miserable men in the world. No, she's not going to commit suicide, it'll be something much worse than blood. Raul looks creeped out, even more than usual.

Santi goes to the grounded tree house and talks to himself about guess what? If you guess Candy you would be right. Marissa ominously voices over that Santi is living his last days of tranquility and peace, because after the wedding he'll return to see neither her nor his child.

Candy and Chava (wearing some cool Light Vision Goggles) hear a scary noise, is it a beast? Well yes actually, it's Pato come to join the fun. I notice that nobody has instructed Chava you're not supposed to stare at people in the face with a head lamp. Pato brought Chava a gift, a compass (brujula) which excites the hell out of the kid. He also brought a radio set and other outdoorsy stuff. Good job dad. Kid wants dad to sleep with them but dad says he'll sleep outside to protect them. Candy is looking a bit more enamored of her ex.

Lalo is preparing a surprise dinner for his wife but the mood is ruined when the utility man shows up to turn the lights off. Unfortunately Lalo doesn't have his receipt to show the guy. He calls "Hortensita" but she's rather busy, she waves sweetly to a gentleman friend who's in her room. Does Horty have a mystery date? Will he be a dream, or a dud? She tells Lalo she can't bring the receipt over, another day perhaps.

After Chava falls asleep Candy joins Pato by the fire. He says when she left him life ended for him, he was sad and drank a lot blah blah blah and Alicia helped and was... "Sex!" pipes up Candy. Pato can't deny it, but he cried a lot, he missed her a lot. Candy admits she missed him and cried for him too. I think maybe this was their very first mature and honest conversation.

Santi can't sleep and hypes out in his bedroom, listens to music, golfs, looks at his phone, and finally calls Candy. Unfortunately Meño answers, Candy's not there. He advises Santi to just marry Candy once and for all! Greg is giving herself a manicure and makes a sour face. Meño reveals that Pato asked for his help with Candy. That's it, Santi plays hardball by promising to do Meno's eyelids for free. Eyelids and chin, negotiates Meno.

Back to Pato and Candy and back to the same old, when she saw him with Alicia she thought she was going to die but then she discovered she was pregnant with Chava which gave her the will to live. She says she didn't ever try to find Pato because she could live without love but never without dignity. Pato hopes that one day she can learn to trust him again.

Chava wakes up and Candy gives him permission to invite dad to sleep in the tent. Allrighty then.

Santi's phone rings. He answers it without looking, "Hello Marissa, what do you want? Eye tacos? Yes my love, whatever you say my love."

Horti is fawning over her mystery date, taking his shoes off, helping him onto the bed. We see his tennis shoes on the floor but can't make out his face. Ding dong, it's Lalo at the door and he wants his receipt for the utility bill. He peeks into her bedrooom and is very excited to see she's not alone.

Sleepy Santi shows up with the eye tacos but Mari says she already ate cold pizza, he can have the eye tacos. He looks like he's going to hurl and she squeals in evil delight that he is having sympathy nausea. She'd invite him to stay but she knows he likes to have brekkies with his peeps. He can take the eye tacos home for breakfast but he shouldn't eat them cold because they stick to the palate. Santi stumbles out about to puke and sinister music plays as Marissa makes her meanest bulldog face.

Back at camp, Candy spends a restless night moaning "Why Patricio? It could have been so great with you," while Pato mumbles in his sleep. She notes how alike father and son are.

Next morning the half moon is still high in the sky as Chava takes a precarious stroll on the rickety dock while mom and pop doze in blissful ignorance of the danger at hand. We see the dinghy line come loose and the dinghy float away.

It's breakfast time at the big house. Santi is sleepy and Isa scolds him for being Marissa's bitch, she's tired of seeing Marissa abuse him. He falls asleep while she's talking to him.

Candy wakes up and calls for Chava. She sees the rickety dock then the overturned dinghy in the middle of the lake! Pato swims for it, no sign of the boy!

Alicia calls Gregoria to complain that she slept alone thanks to her zorra of a sister. The cell phone pays for Pato's absence by finding itself hurled onto the floor.

Pato's back on shore, he and Candy are going through Chava's bag. Pato thinks to call him on his radio that he conveniently gave to him the night before. Chava answers, whew!! But he's lost. But he has his compass! They help him figure out the direction of the camp. Suddenly, from a dead standstill, Chava trips over the ledge, drops both radio and compass, and ends up hanging onto a tree.

Patricio MacGyver fashions a compass out of a plate of water and a magnetized needle to find the direction. I probably would have figured out the general direction by where the sun rose but what do I know, especially when the half moon always hangs high in the sky.

At last they find Chava squealing and barely able to hold onto the tree. Pato "rappels" 10 feet down a 45 degree slope to rescue his son. With a mighty grunt Pato and Chava climb the rope the difficult 10 feet back up to mama and the reunited family hugs.

Hortencia makes breakfast for her "Precious". We still don't see his face but the back of his head looks a bit young. Is he a boy toy or is he a secret kid? The way these telenovela moms treat their sons it's hard to tell sometimes. To further confuse us she gives him kisses all over his face.

Back at Candy's house Pato kisses Chava goodbye. Candy tells Pato he should know how she feels about Santiago. He asks is she in love? "I'm confused," she answers. He grunts knowingly and thanks her for the great time, the best day of his life. (Uh, Candy, when you want to make a big announcement about how you feel, "I'm confused" is a bit anti-climactic.)

Over at the institute Marissa annoys Candy by blathering about her honeymoon to the Greek Islands and then teasing Candy about being jealous. Candy annoys Marissa by admitting she can't keep her promise, she can't get Santi out of her head. She's not betraying Marissa or trying to take the father away from her kid, but she can't stop thinking about him. (Good topper there Candy.) Marissa is now super annoyed and gets a satanic look on her face as Candy rushes out. "Don't turn me into a witch, Candy, or you'll see the devil," she threatens.

Mañana: Meño's boyfriend's son shows up and says he's not there to discuss the death of his father, he's there to tell Meño his family is going to sell all their Guadalajara property. Yes, all of it!

Labels:


Comments:
Loved your "alrighty then". I missed the Mystery Date series. Sounds like I lucked out.

I like it that Candy and Pato are gradually working through their mutual hurt. I don't believe she should end up with him, but she does need to forgive him so she can move on and be free to truly love someone else...like Santiago!

I kept thinking Hortensia's suitor was one of those blowup dolls. But do they makes ones that can talk? Better yet, do they make ones who can listen? I may sign up for one!

Thanks for the recap Sylvia. My cable went out for a while and I missed the Pato/Alicia dialogue. And yes...I was thinking the same thing about the compass...look where the sun is doofus! But maybe he impressed Candy with the needle/water trick. His hands seemed to be trembling when he did it which was a nice touch...betraying his anxiety for his son.
 

Sylvia: I enjoyed last night's episode almost as much as your recap. Stellar. Your mystery date tie in was hysterical. I do remember Mystery Date all too well :)

So Marissa plans to leave after the wedding and take the baby. No wonder "Raul looks creeped out, even more than usual." Let's hope the telenova gods don't subject us to yet another runaway mother and child.

"Patricio MacGyver" was in rare form. The camping trip brought out the best in him even though as Judy noted: "His hands seemed to be trembling when he did it which was a nice touch...betraying his anxiety for his son." No wonder "Candy is looking a bit more enamored of her ex."

At least Pat's giving Santi a run for his money. Diana in MA
 

By the way, Sylvia...in my bleary-eyed state this morning, didn't notice that you'd actually given a link. Checked it out on second viewing....ugh! Also hard on nerdy looking guys. We all know they ultimately make much better husbands or partners than the dreamboats. Thanks for that link to a past that I gratefully missed!
 

Judy, good point about Candy working through her forgiveness of Patricio so she can be free to love someone else. I guess that's exactly what she's doing, although we know it will take a while with lots of oneupmanship from both Pat and Santi. Snarkiness aside, I enjoy the scenes with Patricio and Chava, they really do look like father and son. Pat always looks much more attractive when he's playing with the kids.

One thing about both Pat and Santi, they are very goal oriented. We've got all that futbol sybolism going on to drive the point home, and if Candy "is confused" then they are more or less on an equal footing with her right now.
 

Sylvia, a great recap presented with just the right flavoring. I'm intrigued by whatever is going on with Hortensia. I rather hope that this is a romantic diversion for her but I have my doubts. I can't picture her jumping into bed with just anyone, but on the other hand, why the mystery if it is something much tamer?

As for Donato and his feelings for Isabel, I'm in his corner in this. There's just something not quite right about Jaime. He seemed to get a little too comfortable a little too fast. The books, the brandy, the cigars, OK. The robe, no. He strikes me as a bit oily and reptilian. I guess we'll see. Donato saying that it is an impossible love, however, almost makes it certain, otherwise.

Carlos
 

I agree with Carlos, there is something not quite right about Jaime. Marissa is looking more and more evil. And, where is Pau? I loved the camping trip. I felt sorry for Candy when she was looking at Pat and saying,"why". Enjoyed your recap, thanks.
Liena, FL
 

Thanks so much Sylvia. You cleared up a lot I missed.

Pat is a great father, not a great husband/boyfriend. Maybe he should just stick to what he does best?

Why the rope overkill when the boy was just a few feet down the hill? At first I thought he must have gone under with the boat.

Ah Marissa, devil certainly does fit her.
Santi, Santi, grow some spine and tell her NO when she calls in the middle of the night!!!!!!

I can't see Isa and Donato. Although I do like how Isa sticks up for Santi, she and the new hubby just seem to make the whole house way too crowded.

I'm starting to loose my sympathy for Candy. Just make a decision girl! You are suppose to run a counseling center and you can't take control of your own feelings.
It's getting a little tiring.

Carrie L.
 

A great phone toss by Alicia! we need to see more of that.

Carlos
 

Liena, it's Jaime's hair. He desperately needs a better colorist.

I just creeped myself out.
 

Sylvia, thanks for another very funny recap. I liked that link to Mystery Date, although I don't actually remember it, as we boys completely tune out girl stuff.

I agree with Judy that I thought Hortensia's date was a dummy or blow up doll, but how could he talk? I guess we'll find out tonight.

I thought it was very amusing that Pat just happened to give Chava the walkie-talkie and the compass, that the walkie talkie was actually turned on, that they were able to figure out anything with the compass, that Pat just happened to bring rock climbing gear, etc., but it was a fun episode, and who cares if it was realistic?

Marissa is really getting evil. I have a feeling we're entering into some kind of very difficult period for Santiago, when everything goes wrong for him. Candy already seems to be warming up to Pat, there could be more problems with Rocio, maybe Santi's job, I don't know, but things are not looking too good for him.

I've been watching the DVD of Destilando Amor (which I saw about 2/3 of the first time, but I didn't know about this group, and my Spanish was much worse then). Anyway, for the longest time Gaviota couldn't commit to Rodrigo, despite his continuing efforts to woo her, because he was married. This is just like Candy, who can't really commit to Santiago because he's getting married and has a baby on the way. If only Candy knew she was in a telenovela, and not "real life", she be happy to learn that everything will probably end up just fine, if she can just wait around for 6 more months!
 

Cap'n Sylvia~~~I always enjoy your recaps. Judyb~~~You crack me up. I have been surfing in and out of this novela , and I enjoy Nasty Alicia. I like to watch her snarl, flounce around, and hurl her cellphone. She is such a piece of work. Marissa has a crazed look about her. I don't think she really knows what she wants. And poor Candy...desired by 2 goodlooking hombres...such a problem, poor dear. As for her being a counselor, I have a couple friends in the counseling biz and trust me, they are just as screwed up as the rest of us. Maybe that headband she wears is too tight. By the by, why does Jaime have a framed photo of a sports idol in his room....hmmmmmmmmm ???
 

Mike...you sly dog...Jaime DOES need a better colorist...I hate that Grecian Formula look...particularly when it goes red like that. Give me a "silver fox" any day. The actor playing Jaime was very likeable as the priest in Amor Real (with natural gray hair) but I agree, there's some "squicky" (to use Cuidado Julia's term) about him in this one.

Susanlynn...glad to know your counselor friends are as screwed up as the rest of us....I think...hopefully they can still give good advice even if they can't follow it themselves. A bit like diets, everybody KNOWS you need to stick to just fruits, vegetables, legumes and whole grains....but doing it is the hard part. (and yeah, and locking up the salt shaker....another hard one!)
 

Thanks for the recap Sylvia.

I'm really intrigued by the idea of Jaime being bad (or at least not for Isa). I had not really thought about it until Carlos brought it up but its something to consider.

Marissa should watch out with her evil plan. Santi will miss his son but not her.
 

"The cell phone pays for Pato's absence by finding itself hurled onto the floor."

It always cracks me the misplaced anger on inanimate objects and the debts they constantly pay for our characters. Funny observation there, Sharkbait!

I didn't see this one yet either, but again, I visualized just fine with your explanations.

I believe I remember mystery date, I would have watched it only as a really little girl so the meaning of things would have been completely lost on me, but an image comes to mind. I'll check out the link to see if it's what's in my head.

Soo, does the water/plate/ needle trick really work????
 

Yes, that homemade compass trick really does work, but the only thing wrong with Pato's compass is he laid his magnet on the table next to his homemade compass. With the magnet so close the needle will always point to the magnet, not due north. Still, it was a cute thought and I liked it when Pato was getting all mountain man on us. Candy did too.
 

I'm thinking....Patricio MacGiver .
 

He's a MacGiver with the kids, a MacTaker with grownups.
 

Hello All,

Thanks for the lovely recap, Sylvia.

Am I the only one who thinks the baby is not really Santiago's? I think Mari had some eggs implanted and not with any of Santi's boys. He was just so surprised by the pregnancy and she was supposed to not be able to have kiddos. If they hadn't shown the scene with the sonagram (is that what you call it) - I wouldn't have believed she was even preggers. I thought she was faking it.

Rhonda in Texas
 

Stellar recap as always Capn’. We didn’t have mystery date growing up, and I played very few board games as a child (I remember PayDay, Candyland and once or twice, the “Charlie’s Angels” board game!), but I did enjoy the silly ad ;)

Yup, I think we all guessed that Don had a thing for Isa. Sadly I don’t think anything will come of it as he’s been pining for years and neither has made a move. Then again, this is TN-land, so ya never know. As for Jaime, he originally turned down the cognac and cigars when Don kept trying to push them on him, so taking them and the robe might be his way of trying to assimilate. He didn’t seem to mind losing the robe, so I suspect he was just trying to fit in only to realize that he can’t win with Don. What can I say, I like guys who play the piano and are willing to stick up to their family for the gal they love ;)

Mike, you had me ROTFL with the quip on Jaime’s hair color ;)

My money’s on the youngest “abandonado” for Horty’s secret boyfriend. He did come to see Santi recently and flirted with Barb, and probably with Horty as well.

Rhonda, it’s not a bad theory (Mari’s baby not being Santi’s), but I don’t think someone that obsessed would want a child that isn’t his. Ya never know though. As for her innability to get pregnant, I think she just thought she couldn’t, because the doctors had told her she was unlikely to ever have children as a result of her botched abortion as a teenager (It was illegal in Mexico – might still be for all we know – so she most likely had to resort to some back alley quack). From my understanding, a botched procedure won’t completely prevent pregnancy (though it might be harder to find a spot for implantation for the fetus) but cause all sorts of damage that makes it unlikely to carry to term. For all we know, Mari’s had a bunch of miscarriages she never even knew about (she has had cysts or something like that, so those can also bring on heavy bleeding that would have masked a miscarriage). I guess that’s my roundabout way of saying I don’t think she made that part up. Then again, she is crazy and desperate enough to have resorted to in-vitro without consulting him, which would indeed have required someone else’s sperm (and perhaps even someone else’s eggs...)
 

Hey Margarita,

One of the reasons I think the baby isn't Santi's is because I don't think she really wants the baby. I think the baby is just a tool to get her married to Santi. She's already jealous of future attention the baby will be getting from Santi.

I grew up in an era where Mom raised the kids and Dad paid the bills. So when a man shows that kind of attention to his kids, I think its a turn-on. But Mari actually seems jealous.

Rhonda in Texas
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder