Thursday, February 26, 2009

Mañana es para Siempre (#3) Wed. 2/26/09 - Call Ibarramedia for a New Death List, Can You Believe We Need It Already?

Review scenes: Eduardo presents the FE heart to Fernandita in the hay loft (sorry no hay but flower petals), Barbara interrupts the world's sweetest kiss, Monserrat (MRat) has another tantrum, Barbara (Baba) gets phone orders from Artemio (Cigarman) to undo or obliterate (deshacer) MRat. Barbara plants more fear in Gonzolo's (Gonzo) head that the escuincle Eduardo is going to corrupt the whole household.

Baba assures the whining MRat they should cut off (cortar de tajo) the bad influence of Soledad on the children. MRat gives Baba the order to fire Soledad as soon as she returns from delivering Eduardo to boarding school.

Jacinto tells a crying Fernanda that Eduardo left her a message. She tells him she is forbidden to go to Soledad's house.

In the school Ed takes out his picture of his late father and young mother in wedding garb. Then reads Gardenia's letter that she will wait for him to grow up and return so they can be novios. He says sorry Gardenia but when I grow up I am going to marry Fernanda. We get the filmy memory of the young lovers swinging in the light. Fernanda, on her bed, writes don't forget our promise (juramento).

Soledad returns alone, enters the kitchen, none of the help will speak to her. Who are you, Soledad asks the new stranger, but Baba, everywhere you want to be, answers she is the new cook. She orders Soledad to her little cottage, they will call her if they need something and then tells the other kitchen help that Soledad is prohibited from entering the kitchen again. Soledad tries again to get to argue her case, but Baba threatens her that if she causes trouble, Eduardo will lose his school position since she is in charge of paying the expenses of the school. When Gonzo appears seeing them unhappy Soledad tells him she was just worried about Eduardo's expenses. Gonzo assures Soledad that Baba will take care of everything. He has complete confidence in Baba as he does in her. When he leaves, Baba says do you have any doubts that your powers have been extinguished here, cook?

Liliana smokes in her room pensively. she goes outside to the balcony and sees Baba in yet another stunning girlie suit coming into the house. She puts out her cigarette and rushes to follow Baba . Lili says I have to know who this viper is talking to. Baba says, I have good news, I have nullified Soledad the cook. what next, Cigarman gruffs, next you have to do away with (deshacer) MRat, we need to make Gonzo a widow (viudo). Lili's windows suddenly open and her papers are making waffling noises, Baba slides upstairs and sees Lili on the floor without alarming her, she goes back down to the phone and says something has complicated things, I will call you later. Lili says to herself, Baba is going to kill my mama. Lili runs to find help, Baba goes to Lili's room to plant some evidence conveniently in her pocket. This little gift is reserved for you. Lili comes to the kitchen looking for her Nana Soledad. Who are you? I am Porfiria, the new cook. The sous-chef says, by orders of the boss (patron) Soledad doesn't work here anymore.

Said MRat, I mean Monserrat, comes looking for Liliana for some unknown reason, she doesn't seem interested in parenting most of the time, bursts into Liliana's room, sees the suspicious white pills, lines of cocaine and cigarettes. Lili comes in what is this, this isn't mine, only the cigarettes but not the other things. Don't touch me says the motherly MRat. This is finished you need to admit you are a drug addict you need to leave this house. Mama you are in danger, you are the only danger yells MRat. [Lili is bien framed!.] The black horse runs with eyes all wild.

Look for my husband, demands hysterical MRat, tell him to come immediately to the house something very serious has occurred. She takes pills, gasps, grabs for her oxygen, finally gets the mask on, cries and lies down while gasping (oh the irony of it all). Sweet Fernanda says she wants to talk to her Mama so she can look for glowworms (luciérnegas), when Baba demands to know what she is doing. She says your mom and Lili are having another argument-discussion don't bother them now, go play. Baba approaches the bedroom.

Soledad approaches the priest, Padre Bosco, who says she should be preparing the supper (merienda) of the Elizades. She is fleeing the Baba and tells him that BG has made a lie out of a child's prank (travesura de la niña) resulting in Eduardo being sent to a boarding school in the capital, and now she has lost her job in the kitchen. Soledad can accept that her child studies far away. But she hates being separated from him. I did it for loyalty to my patron and to be close to these children in my care. Now I cannot even see my darlings. I will take care of my son's school We will be poor together. I will tell the patron.

We see Eduardo smelling the cafeteria food and keeping his face straight, what a lovely boy, no whiner here. Fernanda sees Jacinto and gives him a letter meant for Eduardo.

Baba enters the MRat's chamber and sees the sleeping rat, takes off her mask, MRat jerks awake, then says when my husband comes tell him I must speak with him immediately. Unsuspecting, closes her eyes. Baba applies a satin brocade pillow over MRat's face and holds while the weak woman struggles just for a few seconds then arms fall uselessly on the bed. Baba efficiently removes the brocade pillow, closes MRat's eyes, puts her gold virgin medal back in place, fixes everything neatly, replaces phone in cradle. Smiles at her tidy work.

Liliana crying, knocks on Mom's door. Baba, hides, goes out the other door and Lili enters, sees mom with oxymask on . She knows her mom wants to nap and not hear or see her but she must tell deadmomrat that she heard Baba discuss with some man on the phone that she is going to kill her. She must have put the drugs in her room, I didn't do it. You must believe me, The cigs were mine but not the rest of it, I don't do drugs, Mama. I don't want this woman to do you harm. Baba, who of course has been listening to this tender warning from just outside, runs back in asking what Liliana has done, tries to rouse the Momrat, feels her pulse What did YOU do Liliana, what did you do? Gonzo appears as Baba shrills, your mom is dead. she's dead. Gonzo and Lili look horrified.

Liliana screams, Fernanda hears down in the garden. Lili yells killer, killer (asesino). Gonzo grabs her, Baba says she is very disturbed (alterado), Baba calls emergency or appears to, the children are ordered out. Liliana does get one good hair pulling in yelling killer, killer again. Baba smiles and says it was easier than I imagined. She calls Dr. Obregon, we need your services. Pay strict attention to what I am going to say. Gonzo shakes the bejees out of Liliana , do you know what you are going to do if you don't control yourself. Imagine the trauma for your little brothers and sisters. Gonzo goes gonzo when he sees the cocaine and cigarette evidence, and pills, Yea we will talk later, how I need to worry about your mother, all this will be resolved. But Gonzo locks Lilli in her room and Baba says the ambulance is coming. What happened? says permanently confused looking Gonzo. They had a strong confrontation (enfrentamiento) when Mamarat discovered Lili drugging her self. She got the oxymask on and she went to see her later maybe her heart couldn't stand such a strain. The autopsy that he cause of neath wasn't natural. Gonzo is wretched, starts to collapse on the stairs of death. but Baba strong arms him. Just then Soledad picks the worst moment to come in and tell Gonzo she will take her son out of the fancy school, she will go to the city to find work to be near him and wants a job recommendation. Gonzo repeats what I just said, she chose (escoger) the worst time to come, Momrat just up and died! The children are watchilng tv and wondering what is going on. Fernanda wants then to be concerned about Mama but Camilo plays games and says MRat is always sick. Soledad is praying at the MRat's side. Where is this ambulance, Gonzo what happended he asks Baba.

Liliana and her mother were having an awful row about her drug taking and now MRat is dead. Here comes Dr. Obregon who arrives with proper little black bag and requisite horn-rimmed glasses to emphasize his qualifications.
While he takes MRat's pulse and shakes his head, Gonzo clutches Sole's shoulders for strength, not Baba's, but Baba just rolls her eyes, her moment will come. Let's see: Eduardo has been sent away, Soledad fired and now Monserrat unplugged for good. Good work Baba, Cigarman will be proud.

Jacinto hears that Monserrat is dead (se petateo = kicked the bucket) from Gardenia. Gonzo tells Soledad he is incapable of giving this awful news to his poor children without collapsing (derrumbarse). I beg you, I beg you, he whines, please, they are in the television room. Soledad with sad braids bowed, goes off. Baba watches all, goes too Señor Elizalde, the results of the autopsy show her death was a homicide. [How did this get resolved so quickly in a matter of minutes or at most hours,] She goes on, I know you are really upset it turns out Dr. Obregon is a psychiatrist. He looks like his coat doesn't fit and he looks uncertain of his role, one wonders if he is a doctor at all, but asks where the young woman is. Gonzo takes him to her room. Soledad consoles Fernanda and young boy . She tells them that Lord needed their Mommy but she would never abandon them but she will always belong to you, a mother never abandons her children. Camilo is invited over but screams it is a lie, and he leaves. Lili yells at the Doctor and her father, she doesn't need a docter. Why don't you leave me alone with your daughter. My father doesn't believe me. Your father is very effected by your mothers' death and you need to relax. I have this nice medication for you so you can relax. I didn't kill my mama , it was Baba the assistant . yes i believe you Now get into bed relax rest , relax, rest. Wild eyed black horse runs again.

Gonzo wrings his hands and depends already on Baba for everything, I wish this was a bad dream or a nightmare.(really he said: mal sueño o pesadilla which are pretty much the same thing) She asks the entering doctor to speak with the Gonzo. Your daughter had a psychological breakdown (brote psicologico) from taking too many drugs.

Soledad is calming Lili who says I didn't kill my Mom. Soledad says I'm sure you didn't. Lili continues, I heard someone order Baba to kill Mama. What was his name, Artemio Bravo, which Soledad repeats knowingly. Baba breaks in again, every where you want to be. Soledad yells the story to Baba, but Baba threatens her that she will stay in her house so Baba can watch her night and day, and if she doesn't want to see her son hurt and he better stay in his precious boarding school and if Baba hears that Soledad has revealed anything , Soledad better worry about the same fate as Monserrat suffered happening to her, her snotnosed freak (engendro mucoso) and the Elizade children.

Next Chapter: Oh lucky, lucky Pasofino, you get to describe the appearance of the real Fernando as the grown up Eduardo. Baba keeps busy over the years getting everyone out of her way, threatening the lovely Soledad who doesn't age well while Baba's hairspray keeps everything in place.

Labels:


Comments:
Wow. Another blockbuster episode. I knew I wouldn't mind seeing Montserrat depart this mortal coil, but I hate seeing innocent people framed. Poor Lilliana. The perils of being family rebel.

Love the hit-you-over-the-head symbolism of the wild black stallion (Barbara) and the two lovely white horses (Eduardo and Fernanda). They're lovely to watch, although I keep wanting to say "Yeah, we get it, we get it!"

Thanks for another great recap, Cheryl...I especially loved how over the years "Barbara's hairspray keeps everything in place". What a gal!
 

Yikes. That is one coldhearted mujer...B*tch-on-Wheels Barbie. Thanks, Cheryl. Fernando is looking fine.
 

Great recap Cheryl! I especially like all the vocab words. What a mess. And speaking of messes, if they did an autopsy in the bedroom that was an even bigger mess! Gonzo is such a whiner that he pretty much gets what he deserves. He believes the lying scumbag Babs over his own kids. I'm having a hard time getting into this one right away but hopefully we will see the grown up Eduardo soon (tonight?).
 

Thanks, Cheryl. Can't beat a combo of cornflakes and those death scene descriptions of yours! Love the last sentence here as it will send me off with a smile: "while Baba's hairspray keeps everything in place". Lovely Lucero is taking the reins of this role and definitely beginning to make it her own. Already just watching her mannerisms makes me want to scratch my fingernails at the t.v. screen. Although I hate the way she's railroading Liliana, this is the perfect example of how sometimes big-mouth brats, too big for their britches get those britches caught in the proverbial wringer. She is one character that I've had little sympathy for to this point (maybe it's the just the actress I don't care for), tho' I know what's coming she does not deserve no matter how mouthy. Jus' sayin'.....
 

Susanlynn: Ooohhh! I like that! B!tch on Wheels Barbie! BOW-WOW Babs. I see her and think Spider Woman for some reason...."Come into my web," said the spider to the fly.

=========
Connie: Hang in there with this because, sometimes it takes a week or so with a telenovela to put all the elements in place before it hooks you. I'd say Pasión was a slowburner at first, too and Destilando Amor definitely took a week to heat up. ?8 > )
 

This sounds so painful I can't even bear to read the recap! Hope things calm down a bit now that the past is passed. Thanks for the recap.
 

Thanks for the advice Jardinera. I'll keep watching.

So what is our count now? Babs 1 family 0? Or do we count the characters who are out of the picture? Then that would be Babs 4 (Eduardo, Soledad, AssMa, Liliana) Family 0.

Who else besides me thought AssMa would go tumbling down the stairs of death?
 

Thank you for the recap, Cheryl. Love your title, too. (LOL)
I can't wait to watch my tape of this episodio. How dense can Gonzo be?? Is he wearing an AFDB under his telenovela beanie hat? You'd think someone would be thinking 'none of this stuff happened before Babs came on the scene!'

It will be interesting when we get to the años despues and see how Liliana is, as an adult. Pobrecita!
 

Great recap, thanks Cheryl! Lots of action so far. I'm going to invest in some hairspray to see if it helps me keep (not evil) things in place!

Poor rich kids. Liliana is so unappealing, but undeserving of Babs wrath. Any man who hands his family over to an 'assistant' does deserve Babs...
jb
 

Ha JB! I still have to do stuff for my boss' kids and they are in their 20's, 30's, and 40's. The thing I hate the most is organizing their tax returns and sending them all certified. Whatever!

Carlos, how is your lovely Bonnie doing? Stormy has to go for another test but the vet thinks she might have kidney failure. Needless to say I need lots of positive thoughts.
 

Cheryl, gracias. This is so darn gruesome! And how on earth did the good Dr. (quack) Obregon determine the cause of death to be homicide? On what grounds? Oh well, maybe we'll learn the specifics and maybe not, but the main point is that Barbie has quickly & effectively dispensed with the pesky Liliana, whose character was beginning to grow on me.

I wasn't planning to hang around for this novela for reasons of schedule, but now, I'm afraid all this venganza is way too much for me. The idea of being falsely accused and then chemically restrained by the Really Evil bad guys is scary sh_t! Hairspray Barbie is doing a fabulous job of pure evil. I only remember Lucero as a cute'n'bouncy, gum-snapping pop star who played the sweetly ringletted Hipolita in Alborada (a "must-see" if you haven't yet).

I may just check in for the recaps for a while to see if things settle down a bit. Call me chicken.
 

Cheryl, congratulations for a great recap of an eventful episode and on logging the first kill of this TN. Congratulations to Barbara; no fuss no muss and apparently 4 enemies out of the way as well as at least a time-share in Hell. Well played!

Connie, BB is doing well and has even recovered her schoolgirl figure. We go back to the vet today. I'm so sorry to hear about stormy. We wish you both the best.

Carlos
 

Awesome recap Cheryl, thanks so much. Lucero looks like she's having way too much fun with this role. She rocks. Yikes, she smothered Mommy Dearest, smiled, and said it was easy. Lord help us.

I also thought MRat would take a wheeze and a tumble down the stairs. Oh well, I can wait because I know somebody will. I'm glad she's gone, that harpy shrieking at her daughter was too much. Not that B-on-W Barbie will be an improvement. I wonder what her plan is for Liliana? Off to juvie, an asylum? I feel sorry for the kid but won't be sorry to see the lace sleeve go.

I wish Eduardo would hurry up and grow up.
 

Connie, I too was disappointed not to see AssMa descend the Staircase of Doom in a swan dive that would take your breath away (you should pardon the expression). Perhaps Ms. Slinky (Babs) is being saved for the stairway. No wonder they call her a viper -- love the way she slithers in and out of rooms. By the way, did anybody notice that when Slinky left Momrat's room, Momrat didn't have the oxygen mask on, but when Liliana found her, the mask was in place. No big deal, just wondering.
 

Ellen, I think Hairspray Barbie went back in and put it on her.
 

Thanks Cheryl, for a riveting recap. Soledad, like every victim, tells the crazy homicidal killer, Barbie, all that she knows about her and what she is planning to do...before she calls the police. And they even have phones here. GinCA
 

Great recap, Cheryl, thank you. Our first murder, expertly done by Babs, and Liliana eliminated, effectively. I'll bet she's headed for the looney bin. Gonzo-sin-huevos is a piece of work, eh? Beliveing the newcommer assistant w/o question, and not even being in the room when his freshly-fired cook of many years breaks the world changing news to his own kids. lots of unsympatheic characters already- Cigarman, Bad(nice)AssBabs, Gonzo, Camilo. I thought that Liliana was headed for this list, too, but she shows heart, spirit, and cares for the deserving around her. Bad traits in this plot.
dorado dave, watching hummingbirds in falling snow
 

One more thing- I hope that they change Lucero's hairdo soon, that backward sweep makes her forehead look huge, and detracts from her natural beauty.
 

That's true, Dave, but I think her hair is supposed to be like a mane (black horse symbolism) so it will probably stay that way.
 

I don't know if anyone noticed but her hair underneath is a different color than what is on top. I'm guessing a wig or maybe extensions. It doesn't matter really because it still looks like a birds nest or something!
 

Thee STAIRCASE is keeping me nervous! I can't focus on what's being said.

I agree the beautiful mane of hair is an excellent representation of the horses' mane.
 

Thanks for the comments, it was fun to hear from people with my morning coffee. I am thinking the list may need to be altered with the addition of a big wide column of people Baba has dispensed with effectively though not actually killed. So we have Eduardo in boarding school, Lilliana in jail or asylum, Soledad under constant watch in her casita, and only MRat off the payroll. So far.

I was thinking the black horse looks frightened and running away from trouble. I hope he/she is not really representing BA-Baba. Bad role for such a noble beasty. My Mexican Mama told me these beautiful horses really belong to Vincente Fernandez on his ranch near Guadalajara called Los Tres Potrillos, (the three colts).
 

Thanks Cheryl.

Melinama and Agnes in NJ, I'm with you guys. Is this all we have to look forward to for the next 6 months - besides getting to look at Fernando Colunga? Just one evil deed after another and destroying children I don't think I have the stomach for.
And, please, FOR ONCE, can one of the good guys (Soledad) find out some evidence and not show their cards to the evil one. Te Suplico, just one time.
 

Bonney Churros: I'll tell you why that staircase is nerve-wracking. Next time someone goes up it, watch the bannister wiggle and shake. It looks to be held up with thumbtacks.

They are gorgeous horses! and DoradoDave, where are you that hummingbirds are in the snow?
 

DDave, I loved your hummingbirds in the snow image too. I hope they aren't sorry they flew north early.

Yeah, that staircase of doom or death is looming large. I almost thought the producers or whomever were teasing us with scenes being played out so near the edge but then moving away at the last moment. I guess the death by brocade pillow gave Baba more time to smooth her perfect suit and perfect hair and to wipe the big grin off her face.
 

Missed the first 2 episodes so needless to say was shocked at how fast the murder and mayhem was proceeding. OMG! Cheryl, your title said it all! Great recap - thanks so much.

Poor Lili. Smart enough to know something was off with Babs but not cunning enough to escape being caught spying. She was no match for pure evil. It was really difficult to watch, especially as she is really only a child after all.

I never saw Lucero before but she's doing a good job with this evil, meaty role. She does seem a bit mechanical though, somewhat like a "Barbinator". I get a little distracted by her Krystal Carrington/Dynasty suits and huge earrings but hopefully she'll have a wardrobe adjustment as we are FF in time starting tonight.

Well, this certainly has my interest. Diana in MA
 

Tks so much, appreciate the translations. I know a lot of words but it sure helps to see them in context.
I hadn't caught on to the phony doctor.
 

Thanks for the recap Cheryl.

I saw in the preview that Barbara's hair seems to have a more normal modern look once we get to the present day.

For anyone worrying that it's all happening too fast, or that it will be six months of murder - shows always start out this way (or in rare horrible instances, the complete opposite, days and days of nothing) just to get the ball rolling. I predict that in about 6-8 weeks we'll be begging for some action as the show hits the 'stretch it out' stage. At least now we know who the good guys/bad guys are and understand Eduardo's devotion to little Fernanda.
 

Since when do you call something a homicide w/o the police involved?
 

Barbie moves like she is on wheels. She just seems to glide everywhere. Lucero seems to be relishing this role and getting the chance to let out her inner witch.
 

Thank you for the recap, Cheryl.

I too was surprised to find out that Mexico has same-day autopsy service; it must be just like the drycleaners - in by noon, out by six?

As for the horses in the commercial bumps, they are gorgeous, but I thought the connection was more obvious in the original version of the novela, since it was called "Pura Sangre" (pureblood)...

For some reason I found the Liliana character in Pura Sangre (Irene) more sympathetic than the one here. I don't know, maybe it's the actress, or the direction? Well, I expect the slate will be wiped clean and we'll get a different actress when she's grown up. Maybe I'll feel better about her then...
 

p.s. I don't know if anyone is going to fall down that magnificent staircase, but I have never seen so much traffic on a staircase. Somebody is always running up or down , and Barbie is often slinking up or down it. We could call her Slinky Barbie.
 

Thanks Cheryl for the great recap. I really enjoy the translations since I'm too lazy @9 PM to look them up. I must say I expected more of a fight out of MRat. I wouldn't think Babs was so much stronger, but maybe years of asthma wear a body out.

I admit I like Lili. Who among us wouldn't rebel against that spineless dad and pretentious mom. But she seems to genuinely care about her family.

I noticed in the previews that Colunga gets a mud-bath when he gets off the bus, so maybe there's a shower scene for us tonight!
Marianne, crossing her fingers
 

Variopinta, Glad you enjoy the vocabulary, I always read other people's too, review review, it's all good.

I agree that the Mexidoon quality of healthcare and police justice require leaping over large chasms both homocide being diagnosed without police work and especially the autopsy being performed by a quack in the bedroom, the evisceration must have been hard to control on top of the brocade bedspread.... did I ever tell you I worked in the Boston City Morgue? As an accountant but I'm just saying, I have opinions and have seen lots.
 

I'm actually on my 7th or 8th novela and this one seems different in that we were told from the beginning that the plot is about the wiping out of an entire family. One of the reasons I like Tontas is that there are so many elements (like life) sadness, happiness, tragedy etc. It's a balance.
Just hoping Manana isn't just one note.
On another note, what's the story with Cristina's FELS program? Was looking forward to seeing everyone "out of costume" like she usually does.
 

Sorry to hear about Stormy, Connie! Good luck.
 

Here's an alternate title : ''Hairspray es para siempre.''
 

I like Liliana a lot. I hope we get some good news about her tonight.

I did a double-take at the new cook's name "Porfiria" - one of my uncles died of a disease called porphyria. I'm not sure if it's that the cook has an ugly name, or the disease has a pretty one!
 

Thanks Cheryl I always enjoy your recaps although I lurk much more than I comment. I appreciate the Spanish vocab etc that you are known for. Shhhh,I admit that I'm here to improve my Spanish as well as enjoy the recaps and your style does both. (Some of the recappers seem a little sensitive when they get the impression that we expect them to write their recaps in a way that will teach us Spanish). So, at times I hesitate to mention that I learned as well as enjoyed. Thanks a bunch.
 

I thought I would be able to tolerate anything that even vagely resembled a ovela after putting up with Fuego. I realize that they are just building up the plot, but I wish something good would happen once in awhile even in these early stages. I'm anxious to see something other than heartache, deciet and murder. Similiar to the B&W movies I watched as a child, the villians in these novelas have entirely too much power to singlehandely destroy too many lives.
 

In 1992, I think the police would be able to trace phone calls. If the police are ever called and they probably won't be, they would be able to trace Babs to Artemio because at least these people have phones and...gasp....tvs.
 

Lucero's hair is definitely flatter in the promos for the 'años despues.' I think this current hair is representative of the "big hair" we still saw in the early 1990s, even here in the US.
 

Merline, you said it better than I did.
 

Anon 12:13, Love "Barbinator." It fits perfectly.

At the rate these characters are going off the payroll, there will be no one left in two weeks. I'm afraid the action will screech to a halt.

Did anyone notice in the first episode when B'nator took off her helmet, her locks fell loosely down her back? That must have been before she stopped at the drugstore to get hairspray.

I've heard of hummingbirds who can survive winter temps, but never saw one in the snow! Get a picture, DD!

As distasteful as I find Liliana, she's the perfect rebellious, misunderstood teen. I'll miss her.
 

Thanks Julie. I'm hoping it is something other than kidney failure.

If this is a parallel universe to Mexidoon what should we call it? At least they have phones and tv and computers. I wonder if this new doctor is a relative of Dr. Matasanos in Mexidoon. Maybe a cousin or something? It would appear they went to the same Med school.
 

Julie, I have been playing with different versions of Porphyria based words. Besides the color red-blue-purple, it also relates to royalty since some ancient Greek and Roman and earlier cultures restricted the use of purple to royals only. Also there is a reddish seaweed family which includes nori that carries a version of the name. Doesn't surprise me, purple and its myriad variations are among my favorite colors to wear.

Lisa thanks for posting it is very special to hear from lurkers too. We love your insights and opinions so we can agree or disagree. Keep coming back.

Merline, I love your reference to the true villains in older movies. It's kind of nostalgic to feel like you can really nail someone's character from start to finish. I agree that telenovelas often times give us this clear picture. I'm thinking most recently of Gabriela and Fernando Escandon in FELS. You could really feel clear about hating their dastardly deeds and evil character that seemed to go all the way through.

Ferro, glad to see you have time to become a lurker on this new show. When I was in Mexico last month, I felt like people really liked it there too. Of course, Fernando is as much an idol in the whole country as he is here on CarayCaray.

Also have to mention Jardinera's new horse thumbpic, love it. I will post some of my wild horse pictures I have been taking this year. And in June, I am going to Montana to the Pryors to photograph the beautiful wild horses there = caballos salvajes. Maybe someone can be thinking about filling in as guest recapper for a couple of episodes.....more on this when I have the dates settled.
 

Lovin the name Barbinator. So far she's put one blood relative on the path to lost in space and one to the great beyond. But wasn't her assignment to wipe out all blood relatives?
Please bring me up to speed, what/where is the origin of Mexidoon?
 

Thanks for the recap and vocabulary Cheryl. While a lot of mayhem and murder is going on, I too am hoping and believing (as Ferro noted) the foundation is being laid and we won't be living in fear for everyone.

I do have to agree with Merline in that I do get tired of villains with too much power. There needs to be some type of balance and usually with novelas w/FC in them there are b/c he's not typically a stupid galan.
 

Connie: The Matasanos School of Medicine. I love it! Is that the same place that our galans over on Cuidado got their degrees? One is a curaloco who is pretty loco when he's not being a complete tonto and the other two have demonstrated only marginal doctoring skills. Their chief professional attribute seems to be their good looks.

I hope Stormy pulls through like a champ.
 

Bonney Churros, the name Mexidoom, Mexidoon, or Mexiloon (they are interchangeable) is what we called the land of FELS. We began by comparing it to Brigadoon and then gradually it turned into Mexidoom etc. We determined that all the crazy happenings were caused by a perpetual full moon and nucleur waste. When things got really crazy we would put on our beanies to keep out the harmful rays.
 

Bonney Churros: Were you with us for Fuego en la Sangre? Sometime early on, one of our talented recappers named Mexidoon (sometimes, Mexiloon) because of the surreal and improbable nature of the setting. If I'm not mistaken, the reference is to Brigadoon, another surreal and improbable locale.
 

Thank you Connie and NJ! I am...Howling Out Loud!
 

So keep your beanie handy--you never know when you might have to slip it on quickly! :)
 

Nicknames so far (please feel free to add any that I missed)

Monserrat—AssMA, MRat,
Gonzolo—Gonzo
Barbara—Hairspray Barbie, Babs, Barbinator, Baba, Bad Ass Babs
--Cigarman (I can’t remember his real name)
 

Great recap!

I love the name Barbinator! She moves and has the look of the female Terminator in Terminator 3! She's a killing machine!

OK, so I get that Artemio Bravo is possibly the half brother of Gonzo - I think I read that somewhere. But what does Babs get out of all of this? Money? Is there a family connection somehow? Is she Artemio's daughter who was shunned as a child for some reason? Did I miss the connection?

I'm glad the 80's/90's look will be over tonight. I can't stand those suits and the hair!
 

Monserrat—AssMA, MRat
Gonzolo—Gonzo
Barbara—Hairspray Barbie, Babs, Barbinator, Baba, Bad Ass Babs
Artemio--Cigarman
 

I'm still trying to sort out the characters and associate names with faces. I wish we could hold off changing the names of all the characters until their roles are a bit more established. During Destilando Amor the recapers often nicknamed according to the episode. That was fun and gave the recapper leeway to be creative.
 

I'm still trying to sort out the characters and associate names with faces. I wish we could hold off changing the names of all the characters until their roles are a bit more established. During Destilando Amor the recapers often nicknamed according to the episode. That was fun and gave the recapper leeway to be creative.
 

It has been a harsh beginning for our characters, hasn't it? In QE, there was at least a month of misery before our heroine knew what was happening behind her back. It was a long and frustrating wait. Hopefully Eddie and 'Nanda will have better luck sooner than that!
 

Wow! lotsa interest- 59 comments already! Some new names, and old ones rejoining the former Fuego crowd, the more the snarkier! I think that the only characters truly immune to death in this TN are BadAssBabs, Fernada, and Eduadro; they are the ones that will last till the end.
About the hummingbirds- I live 20 miles south of Seattle. The hummers are Anna's hummingbirds, and a few hang around all winter. I have no idea what they sip on without feeding, but I have a feeder, and there are a couple using it. On cold nights, I have to bring it in so that it doesn't freeze, because on the cold mornings, they are there well before dawn, barely visible thru the window 2' away from the desk. Two weeks ago, one was in a tree, making the wierdest sound, and chasing away/around another. I took it to be some (pre)mating behaviour. They are fun to watch.
 

Okay, I watched last night and I find this very jarring. I guess I haven't left FELS behind, I was so confused to see a kid playing a video game, even though they do that in my house every day!

Hairspray Barbie is mean. She is very interesting to watch! And the girl (Lili) is really annoying, but she is a teen I guess.

I will give this one a little while, but it really needs a good swimming scene.
 

I know what you mean Molly! I felt the same way. I think in the previews Eduardo gets splattered with mud and I'm sure that will require some kind of bath or shower. I've got the towel. Who's got the soap?
 

Dorado Dave ~~~You are a good soul to feed those little hummingbirds. Barbie would , no doubt, enjoy pulling the tiny wings off the tiny creatures. We don't have many around here even in the summer. My friend collects anything with a hummingbird on it. She's very tiny and cheerful , so I think it's an appropriate mascot for her.~~~Susanlynn, whose backyard evergreen is a home to crows but who would prefer hummingbirds
 

Susanlynn- I don't know where you live, but a feeder will really attract them. Sometimes in the summer, there can be a bit of a crowd , and they are very territorial and protective of their food sources. It's entertaining to watch them chasing each other away from the feeders, all fierce and feisty.
 

Oh my Garschk, these parents so deserve to have somebody come in the house and off them, they are hysterical, shallow, adle-brained idiots who don't even know their own children, I don't know if I'm going to be able to watch, I feel such hatred for this evil BITCH BABS and these stoooooopid hysterical parents, OH MY GARSCHK! AAAAGGGGGJ
H! Sorry. Had to ventilate. This is very well done, no comic relief, huh?

Khalilah
 

Good thing you didn't watch Fuego if you think Hairspray Barbie is awful. Gabriella was in a class by herself!
 

Okay, I finished it, going back to read comments. Oh this woman is EVIL INCARNATE, helped along in her plot by a couple of dumbass (now one) parents. SHEEESH! Lucero is convincing and I, unfortunately, feel tense just watching this. Damn good so far! Well done but ready for something a little lighter to happen!

Khalilah
 

Cheryl, your recap is much appreciated. Vincente Fernandez has a nice little sideline going, providing glamorous horses for TN use.
I was yelling at my tv when the dr. reported the autopsy results. WHAAA??!! The did an autopsy this quickly? Unfreakingbelievable. BeatchBarbie is off to a strong start. Maybe tonight we'll get some more character exposition on the other Elizalde kids. Agree that Liliana needs a costume re-do.
La Paloma
 

Yah, I'm still finishing Fuego and so far Babs the BITCH got Gabriela beat, this BITCH is out cold!! Gaby gonna have to do some worse shi** (don't tell) than she's done so far!

Oh, and thanks so much Cheryl, for the recap. Sorry. Forgot to say that.

Khalilah
 

Fourth episode and looks like there'll be a FC sighting. It seems like it took a few episdodes before he showed up in Pasion, too.
A lot has happened right away, but I think it will be 15 years later and it would appear that most things will look the same? Guess Babs must have sat on her laurels and enjoyed being in charge. You would sort of think she could finish off Gonzo and ruin the family in less than 15 years?
Is Cigarman Artemio? The telephone call said she was to do in MRat on orders from Artemio. Was she talking to Cigar man or some one else?
I think Babs will enjoy the 21st century, she can use a cell phone and have it less likely someone is listening in. :-)
Babs sure seems to enjoy doing her work. She smiles whenever her plans work out just right.
Jeff in MN
 

Oh and thanks Cheryl for the excellent recap!
What luck to get to start the Death List.
It looks like the big hair will be gone as Babs did appear to have a new style in the previews.
Seeing the way some of Gonzo's sons acted, I think they could become good students of Babs. A couple didn't seem to be that nice. :-)
Jeff in MN
 

I am now the veteran of 3 telenovelas, so I thought I would give this one a try. But, watching the Devil in Prada, terrorize young children and peaceful peasants daily is more than I can handle. Don't think I can take nine months of watching this evil woman wreck havoc on these poor people. Brutal!
 

Yeah Cigarman is Artemio, last name Bravo I think. She is chilling with that smile and the way she snaps into the kind of histrionics Gonzo and Monsterrat are wont to display when she's fabricating a lie: it really works on them, and then *blink* back to that self-satisfied smile. Chick is eeee-vil.

Khalilah
 

Ok, sorry if this is posted twice, previous comment just disappeared! Anywho, yes, Cigarman is Artemio Bravo. Babs quickly picked up the parents' emotional modus operandi: whenever she wanted to hook them into a lie, she snaps into histironics, just like they are wont to display, they fall for it and then she snaps back into her slimy self-satisfied smile. Bitch is chilling.

Khalilah
 

the previews have shown a grown woman in an asylum - want to bet that's Liliana 15 anos despues?

also, didn't Barbara make a call to a Dr. last night and tell him to listen very carefully to her instructions? surely, either the autopsy doctor or the psychiatrist or both were not real doctors, but some sort of accomplices or Matasanos types on Artemio Bravo's payroll, who came to make Barbara's story stick.
 

Yes, were those real doctors? Another question, did anyone other than Babs say it was a homicide? Not sure if any of the so-called doctors actually said it or not. Babs has been saying quite a few things and no one ever calls her on them.
Jeff in MN
 

Dave thanks for the story on the humingbirds, what lovely creatures they are I am glad you are watching them closely. Where I have lived farther north, we saw them in the spring until fall, while I was in LA there were just one kind but they stayed all year and now in NM they come into the Abq area about the first of April or so the bird people tell you if you want to get our feeders ready.

Who said Barbinator first? I love it. She really is a well trained killing machine. The first episode intimated that she had been trained from a young age by Artemio Bravo and may have killed her own parents? (not sure about that last bit) but otherwise, I didn't feel like we got really clear motivation clues to explain her blind obedience to AB, aka Cigarman.

What's in a name, I agree that we need to keep to the formal names for longer. That is why are started out my recap with explaining everyone's regular name at least the first time I mentioned it. The shorter nicknames are favored by the recappers because they are so much easier to type but I will be mindful of explaining each person's name.
 

My ears are burning Cherylnewmex. :)
Connie you forgot MonseRATA ;)

There is no way you can do an autopsy in the bedroom. For starters, it will be too messy and you will need to bring the lab there. See CSI for visual cues. Another thing, if you are suffocated, they will find out by looking at the whites of the eyes. The blood vessels break when this happens so the eyes will be very bloodshot. It is very difficult commiting murder and getting away with it in this day and age..... Ok people beanies back on.


Ibarramedia
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder