Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tontas Tuesday Feb. 17, '09 Everybody Wants Candy

Life isn't fair, is it? Everybody wants Candy....Patricio, Santiago, Raúl, Toño, even Ceci....while other women sulk and fume, scheme and smoulder, cry and lament. Reminds me a bit of a situation in my brother's first grade class (eons ago). All the little boys were in love with ONE girl, in spite of the fact that there were many charming little girls in the class, including this girl's IDENTICAL TWIN. But all the little guys converged on one. (I think fruit flies do the same thing. Don't quote me though).

Anyway, it's the same old same old but here we go again. First the brief rehash of Paulina trying to wheedle Santiago into letting Rocio go with her back to New York. Nothin' doin'. The previews led us to believe that Rocio might say she wanted to go, but she doesn't. And Santiago packs her off to her room and gets down and dirty with Paulina, saying that there's no way she's going and no way he's going. When Paulina raises the red flag of motherhood, he sneers, You were just the incubator. In no way were you ever the mother. And if you keep pushing this, I'll prohibit you from seeing her at all. Okay...Dr. Plastico is coming on strong. Will Paulina kidnap Rocio now that she has two airplane tickets? We'll see.

In the meantime, Marissa is communing with her inner Nazi. This voice (we all have one, alas) is torturing her by replaying the conversation of Santiago declaring his love for Candy. All this while doing the mirror dance that we women do (don't know about you guys) where we hold up various outfits, realize "they make us look fat", lament our bodies and generally go on a pity party. Since she's pregnant, Lord knows she's allowed to have a belly but evidently this is no consolation. More grievous thoughts about being "stupid" and "everyone mocking me" and so forth. She vacillates between positive self-talk...Everything is going to be fine...to self-downing...he only cares about Rocio and the baby. Once the baby is born I'll be nothing to him. More misery with the clothes that don't fit. This poor woman is in total Hell. I don't like her but I feel sorry for her.

Okay, as prescribed, our little light-hearted break from this miserable scene. Zamora and Toño have been tarted up for the makeover. Zamora doesn't look too bad. Toño is simply awful with some kind of Julius Cesar/Marlon Brando comb down over his forehead.

So now, on to romance. With Candy, who else? She's waiting for a taxi and a white stretch limo pulls up. A huge bouquet of flowers emerge, followed by Patricio's squirrely face. He's begging for another chance and emphasizes it by addressing her as Señora Molina. He's pretty eloquent in his pleas. Points out that they have fought more than they have talked. But it's a miracle that she's here...alive...and he begs her to come along with him. You're crazy, she says. You're beautiful, he replies. She gets into the car.

Oh yes, we're waiting with bated breath but the writers are all for delayed gratification, aren't they? We get a little verbal scuffle with Meño and Charly. Meño voicing what we've all been thinking....motorcycles are dangerous and there's no way he's going to buy one for his son. A friend of mine who worked in the Emergency Department called them "Donorcycles". That alone should give one pause. Meño concludes the discussion by saying I prefer an angry son to a dead son.

Alright, back to romance. And it's big-time. A table set for two on the giant heart from their parachuting/will you marry me? days. Champagne. Romantic music playing in the background which we can hear even if she can't. He starts to sing the Mana song but she stops him. Too painful. He wants to kiss again, she refuses. I need your kisses to live, he pleads. And if you leave this heart, it will break. And I will break. Don't go. It's dangerous, he adds, for a beautiful woman to be alone in this park. There are wolves, bears, scorpions, snakes....(she's starting to smile, maybe there's hope...) And you can't leave without kissing me. If you grow old here, waiting to kiss me, that's alright. Because my dream was to grow old with you.

Whew. Patricio had some good lines there. I'm feeling all mushy and forgiving and I don't even like the guy. We break for an ad while I get ahold of myself.

When we come back, it's to the Eduardo/Chayo story. Chayo has received a second delivery of flowers (thanks to Barbara) and Lalo's worried enough now to track his wife down at the Institute. But they've already sequestered her and told Soledad to inform him that she left several hours ago, looking very excited. Now she's sent off to spend a couple of hours at the movies. I find this whole scenario manipulative and stupid but hey, they didn't ask me. We'll see how it plays out.

Back to our erstwhile lovers. She's commenting on the champagne, the candles, the tablecloth that is the same plaid as her school uniform. But what's this, she says, holding up an ordinary sandwich, rather than the tortas ahogadas and pozole she loved as a girl. We need a miracle, they conclude.

Now some brief scenes. First with Raúl and one of the Iron John buddies, said buddy giving good advice. Stay out of Marissa and Santiago's business. It's their business not yours. Did you like it when family interfered in your marriage?

And then a fast-moving scene with Santiago and the groovy old mom/pal cum wedding planner who's trying to hit him up for a check ahead of time, arguing that all the arrangements will be cheaper if they can be prepaid. He winds Santiago up big-time by referring to mom as the "panther of the Colonia de Valle". All the men were after her until your father came along. By this time Santiago is frothing at the mouth (what if this creep had been my father!?) and bemoaning being trapped into marrying Marissa as well. And then there's Paulina trying to take away Rocio. Donato joins him in some kind of therapeutic blubbering and lamenting.

And that's not the only therapy going on. Evidently Marissa is seeing a counselor (good!) but the lady isn't making much of a dent in Marissa's feast of reason and flow of soul. You pay for everything in life, right? asks Marissa. And then answers herself.... And Candy and Santiago will pay for what they're doing to me!

Are you marrying for revenge? asks the counselor. There's no room for happiness if there is bitterness and rancor. I'm fighting a clean fight, counters Marissa. I love Santiago. All I have to do is get rid of Candy. Candy out. Me happy. (Sounds like a plan, but it's not working Marissa dear).

Back to romance. The tired sandwich that Candy has brought along is being munched on by Patricio. He raises a toast to the two of them and proclaims her a marvelous cook. It's the best sandwich he's ever tasted.

All right, "now we're down to the raisins", or as Hombre de Misterio says, the pivotal scene of the episode. Patricio ask Candy to tell him all that she felt that day of the wedding....all that she felt but didn't say. At first she refuses, but then the words come tumbling out.

C: You were my everything.... everything. You left me with nothing. Nothing but a broken heart that never worked again.

P: Of course it worked again. You love our son.

C: I love him with another heart. The heart I had was broken beyond repair. You destroyed my trust in men.

P: One day our son will become a man. And he'll make mistakes. Possibly like I did. Do you believe that your son won't deserve a second chance?

P: I'm not proud of what I did. But I learned from it. And my heart was broken too. I suffered for both of us (thinking you were dead). My life was broken without you.

C: But you consoled yourself with Alicia.

P: Yes, with Alicia and a thousand other women. But none had the fragrance, the perfume of your body. I tried to anesthetize myself in the beds of thousands of women....but I never "made love" again. You are the only woman in this world for me...in this world in which thousands of women exist. Yes, there were mistakes...but do those mistakes wipe out all the love between us, the caring, the tender moments? If Life works that way...I don't like it....and I don't understand it.

Whew. Another eloquent plea. I'm a basket case again. Thank God there are some ads and I can cool down a bit.

When we come back, we're in Candy's office with weird psychic Jorge guy who's congratulating her on her success (although reminding her she's alone in bed) and giving her some advice concerning a lovelorn woman who took back her cheating husband only to have him cheat on her again. (I guess this means Patricio is toast.)

So here's our loser, happily unaware that psychic guy is taking him out of the picture. He's coaching some goal-scoring moves with his sons and facing up to some tough questions. Like How come Beto and I have one father but two mothers? Did you" dance "with my mom (Candy) first and then with Beto's mom? And my mom got mad 'cause you then "danced" with someone else? Uh, yeah, that's more or less it, mumbles Patricio and then hugs and wrestles with them
both, saying I love you the same and you're best friends. How great is that!?

Okay, we get it. Patricio is a good dad. That will work out. Getting Candy back? Not so much.

But speaking of cheating husbands and put-upon wives...we're back with Chayo and Lalo, the latter demanding to know where she's been all this time....(at the office. You're lying!) and asking who's sending her flowers. What flowers? The ones I threw in the garbage. You're jealous. GRRRRRRRR. No, I'm not jealous. Jealous? GRRRRRRRR. No I'm not. He IS, she thinks happily.

Candy, via Meño, has sent Santiago back weird psychic guy Jorge medallion. And adds a note, saying It's not good that I have something of yours. As he takes out his own medallion and sadly puts them together, he thinks....once again...She's the woman of my life.

And the woman of his life has been tricked by Barbara into meeting with Ceci. When she discovers Ceci there, she starts to leave, but the poor gal begs her to stay and just listen. I'd never hurt you. I just wanted to be your friend. Yes, but your "friendship" counters Candy.... No, no...I just want to be a loyal friend, work for you. Forgive me. I let things get out of hand. Boom. Just like that, Candy forgives her. It's all hunky-dory. They have apple pie and vanilla ice cream to celebrate (reminiscent of the cheesecake reconciliations in Golden Girls?) and that's that.

I guess we're supposed to see that little by little Candy is growing up and maturing. Frankly I still find her a gigantic pain in the patootie, but that's just me.

Patricio has brought Beto back to the house and packs Beto off for a "bull bath" (only washing ears and tail). And then a sad little conversation with Soledad where she tells him he can only see Beto for a couple of hours every week. She has to distance herself from him and so the visits are restricted. Sad face Soledad. Equally sad face Patricio, for different reasons. Another ad.

Now another pivotal scene. (Can we have two, Hombre?) Santiago runs into Candy in the park and it's just who he wanted to see. He tells her about this strange person (I certainly agree there) who gave him this medallion in order to recognize the "woman in his life". But since she doesn't want to be" the woman in his life."...he guesses he will..... But suddenly the talk stops and the kissing begins. The first one looks a bit smash-mouth but it gets better after that. Much better. Little kisses, Bigger kisses, wraparound kisses, delicious kisses, lingering kisses, drop-to-your-knees kisses. Make this moment last! Well, we do, but only because stalker Alicia is there taking a picture of those kisses on her cellphone.

And suddenly Candy pulls back. I don't want to kiss, she stammers. Alright, then I'll yell, answers Santiago. I LOVE YOU!!!!, he bellows.

I love you too.

Stunned look by Santiago. Feel my heart! he whispers. This is the first time you've told me that. And love is simple. You'll send off Patricio, I'll break up with Marissa and.....Of course Candy says no way.

Okay, back to the easily expendable Marissa (in Santiago's view any way). Barb has just brought in some baby clothes and while Marissa gushes about them and pretends to be pleased, once Barbara leaves, she curls her lip and says What am I going to do with these? Yuck. Evidently she and Barbara do not have the same taste.

Meanwhile Meño and Gregoria are still sparring over her mystery date the other night and he's using it as leverage in their cook negotiations. She wants to be the restaurant chef since Lulu's so busy at the Institute and he counters that she'll get the job if she gives up the name of her novio. Not my novio! Oh, is he married, then, slyly jabs Meño. The scene ends with a near electrocution when she turns on the power as he has his hands in the water of the fountain. Not sure the point of that scene....but there it was.

Our episode ends with our Alicia bringing Marissa a "surprise" but not a pleasant one, and certainly not a baby gift. Instead she shows her the photo of Candy and Santiago kissing and notes that they really seem to be getting along.

Previews: Alicia arrives at the door of Casa Meño saying How great that all the family is together. Candy, I know you don't want to see me after all that's happened, but I want you to know that Patricio is innocent. He's not guilty of anything.

And Candy is telling Santiago to forget the kisses and that she said I loved you.

And Santiago, flanked by a warmly sympathetic Hortensia, is holding a photo of those to-be-forgotten kisses and observing that he's got a real problem.

Vocabulary

alacranes = scorpions

afinelar = to tune an instrument or to tune up a motor

brindar = to toast (with a drink)

atorado = blocked up, jammed shut

Labels:


Comments:
HI Judy, This is the last night I will be keeping you company on Tuesdays. Thanks for the Tontas recaps. I always enjoy your humor and insights.
 

Hooray Rocio! I'm so glad she didn't say she wanted to go to NY with her horrid mommy. I can only imagine how lonely she would be. I hope Paulina keeps her hands off the kid.

"Feast of reason...", how Popian of you JudyB! Brings back memories of my days as a Lit major.

Doesn't Alicia have a job? The only things she seems to do are lurk, spy, exercise, vandalize, and play the doormat.

JudyB, you make me smile when you soften toward Patricio. I know we like to rip on the guy but I guess we've got to admit he's not a bad actor when he's able to manipulate us, eh?

Wonderful writing in your recap amiga, thank you!!
 

Whoa...Cheryl...you mean you're not recapping the 9 pm show anymore either. Or just changing nights? Will have to check this out.

And Miss Sylvia...thanks for telling me where that quote came from. The wife of my newspaper editor (who also worked there) always used the phrase "feast of reason and flow of soul" and I loved it but I didn't remember it from high school lit, that's for sure, and afterwards I was more into French.

Yep, they're giving Patricio some good lines, plus that music playing in the background always softens my heart. Can't help it!
 

Judy: I think this was your best recap yet - so witty, well written and a joy to read!

"Life isn't fair, is it? Everybody wants Candy....Patricio, Santiago, Raúl, even Ceci....while other women sulk and fume, scheme and smoulder, cry and lament." Exactly!

You captured Marissa's battle with her wardrobe and image perfectly. Why do we women constantly beat ourselves up so?

I like Patricio and found his courting of Candy touching. I'm rooting for him (even though I think it's a lost cause). I always enjoy his scenes with Chava and Beto. Great father - partner/spouse, not so much.

Cap'n Sylvia: "I hope Paulina keeps her hands off the kid." Me too. Let's hope for a quick exit. Kids are so intuitive, I wonder if Rocio was able to see any of her mother's true character.

I thought it was a great episode but paled in comparison to the recap. Judy you and the other recappers are simply great. Diana in MA.
 

Wow Diana...may I adopt you? We are all so nurtured by your positive comments. Thanks.

Life is so unfair I even forgot one of the hapless Candy suitors...Toño. Mean to go back and add him this morning.

But hoping the writers will find loves for all those pining hopelessly for Candy. And frankly, not sure how lucky the "lucky guy" will be who actually gets her, long legs and lovely smile aside, this lady is way too much work!
 

I couldn't agree more about Candy being too much work. She kind of reminds me of Licenciada Paula from Juan Querendon. I never did really warm up to her. I don't get the warm fuzzies from Candy like I did from sweet Lorena from Querida Enemiga for example. Speaking of sweet heroines, I've been watching the original Yo Soy Betty La Fea on Telefutura and so far it's a quirky delight.
 

You're right, Sylvia...Candy falls in that same Paula/too high maintenance category. The one woman in this show that I find vulnerable and rather endearing, in spite of her mistakes, is Soledad. Chayo is sweet of course, but she doesn't seem to have the same tenderness that makes me want to root for Soledad and her happiness.
 

Judy & Sylvia, glad to know it's not just me wondering what the attraction is with the Candy character. Yes, they cast a cute lookin' actress to play her, but the character is too ugly - the whole "Institute of Inner Beauty" thing is a bad joke. A real suspension of disbelief needed to watch the two male leads courting her so ardently.

Don't think you'd see that in real life. Especially given her willingness to inflict physical pain.

The Marissa character has been a bit more sympathetic the last week or so somehow. And I've noticed some mannerisms (for want of a better word) that make me think the actress might be really good in a comedy.

And it's time for another big "thank you" to you two and all the other recappers!! You are all really good at translating and interpreting and putting it all into really enjoyable form!
 

Well, thanks Mike. It wouldn't be much fun without the feedback and friendship of our bloggers. That still is the best part for me...getting to know a crazy group of people with diverse interests ranging far and wide, in addition to the Spanish.

How's Emilia coming along by the way?
 

Judy, she's at her next to last phys therapy as I write so I think she's coming along quite nicely. She still has to take it kind of easy - but there's nothing wrong with that.

The doctor even said her condition won't prevent her from wearing a bikini or playing Chopim at Carnegie Hall, though those darling sandals she picked out for the beach might not go so well with the black plastic and Velcro ankle brace, oh damn the bad luck.
 

Thanks for the recap Judy. I loved the story about your brother and all the boys liking one girl even though she had an identical twin. That story set the tone and I laughed the rest of the read. You always create fun recaps but this one was even more fun. I think I like your falling for Pat's wooing best as well as your description of Santi and Candy kissing.
 

Thanks Judy! Your recaps are always so much fun!
I liked the psychic guy even on LaFea. I'm glad he's back but will agree he is a little strange. Good strange though, he means well.
Squirrel face Pat, I liked that. His nose crinkle expression drives me crazy!
I don't understand why all the men are so crazy for Candy either.
I would like to see Soledad and Pat together.
I hope Santi will get his princess. I can't stand to see his sad puppy dog expression when he's hurt.
Thousands of women for Pat?????
Wow! I don't see the attraction, but to each his own!

Carrie L.
 

Judy, you already know that I love your recaps. Thanks for another great recap of an entertaining episode. Patricio is really starting to annoy me. He's beginning to come across (for me at least) as shallow and pathetic. If a stalker is handsome, does that exempt him from the label of stalker? I was just wondering. In any case, Candy is as annoying and shallow. I won't call her pathetic just yet. However, in this TN the peripheral characters are fast becoming more interesting than the protagonists. (With the exception of course of Dr. Plastico who is the glue for this show.) Carlos
 

Hi guys...thank you Karen, Carrie L. and Carlos for all those supportive comments, and certainly glad you're continuing to enjoy the recaps. Some are easier to do than others. This one seemed to write itself.

Just got back from the dentist. Another crown and our insurance only pays 25%. I'd say "woe is me" but know that deep down I'm lucky to be in a country with good dental care. Would probably be masticating my gruel with stumps had I lived somewhere else.

Carlos, you've given us an interesting male viewpoint on Patricio (although he's also taken his lumps from the ladies). Pato may just be trying to rewrite his sad romantic past...y'know, make the story come out RIGHT this time. These efforts always remind me of the 12-step bumper sticker that says "It's never too late to have a happy childhood". He clearly would like to reframe his history with Candy so it's a success instead of the actual debacle it turned out to be. Can't fault him for that. But we have to be on Santiago's side ultimately.

And Carrie L., I agree...Patricio should end up with Soledad, Santiago with Candy (even if she's too much work she is clearly what he wants).
 

Judy, your recap was an absolute delight.

Yes, it's a little hard to imagine why Candy has all the men falling all over her. I, too, have seen this happen, though--I had a friend/housemate in college who was like that. Like, literally, 6 or 8 guys per day would ask her out or bring her flowers. She was a lovely enough girl, but really nothing out of the ordinary, and she was as baffled by all this attention as the rest of us were since she did nothing to encourage it. She must have had the magic protagonista pheromones.

THOUSANDS of women?!? Why would he tell her that? That's just...gross.
 

I found those "thousands" pretty gross too. Definitely not a turn on by Pat.
I have a ton of sympathy for you and your dental woes Judy.
I am a dentist's favorite patient. The insurance stinks and although I avoid the dentist for as long as I can, when I do drag myself in he has enough work to do to finance his new boat.

Carrie L.
 

Thanks for the wonderfully entertaining recap Judy.

Candi's "charm" is indeed a mystery. Both Santiago's and Patricio's womanizing is a turn off, but they both compensate with other obvious charms - Santiago with his mother and daughters and Patricio with his sons. But even though Candi is very loving with Chava, she can still be very selfish ABOUT him.
 

Hmmm...yes, those numbers...I agree with Julia, Carrie and Rhonda that those numbers are "gross"....and also a gross exagerration.

I remember when Wilt Chamberlain publicized some huge number of women he had bedded and it would have worked out to about three different females per day, for 20 years. Yeah, right......

I doubt if our busy beaver Patricio could have managed that many in the years he and Candy were apart but figured that was "poetic license" to illustrate how desperately he had yearned to blot out her memory and how impossible it had all been.

I'm gonna give him a pass on that one for the poetry alone, but if I were Candy and thought I was going to get busy with him, I'd definitely have him vetted by a doctor first!

Now onto the mysteries of attraction. I remember when my oldest daughter was in grade school, there was a girl in third grade whom everybody worshipped. The girls all wanted to be best friends with her, the little boys all were in love with her. Dunno why. She was cute but also very snotty and dismissive (à la Candy) and certainly there were other cute girls who were MUCH nicer...but again, the whole class, girls and boys, converged on this one little mini-witch.

And Rhonda, you bring up something which I have felt from the beginning but was afraid to mention. Candy just seems almost inappropriately affectionate, huggy kissy with Chava. Of ocurse you want to give them lots of love but a 7-year-old boy is already a different kettle of fish from a toddler. I keep thinking if she had a love life herself, she could let up on the little fella a bit. As a mother of both sons and daughters, I have to say I think she comes on awfully strong sometimes. That whole thing about being his "novia" just seemed a little too Freudian.
 

PS Julia...glad your friend/housemate was as baffled as you all were. Had she taken it as her "due" it would have been easy to hate her! It must be something about male competition for the top prize and once several are interested in a female that signals everybody else that it's the Superbowl.

Carrie, glad to know you've financed a boat. My dentist has upgraded his homes several times and now has a second lovely home in Florida. I've done my best to give him a good life, and in the process earned the title of the Queen of Root Canal.
 

Judy, I agree that the romping btwn Candy and Chava is unsettling at times. For my money, the creepiest character is Raul, with the shrine to his deceased wife and his a-little-too-close relationship w/ his sister.
 

It's totally squicky when Candy talks to Chava about her being his "novia." I also hate it when she feeds him like he's a toddler. What's wrong with normal, age-appropriate care and affection?

My sister used to work as an office manager for a group of dentists and she actually had to ask them to please stop talking about their new airplanes to patients who were struggling financially. Those appointments sure are pricey.
 

Oh goody, now we can get all those unmentionable icky feelings out on the table. Yesssss, Raúl is way too close and spends way too much time with Marissa...more time than Santiago spends with her, let's face it.

And Julia, in some of the scenes harking back to Chava at age 3 or 4 years old, yes, she was spoon-feeding him like he was a 6-month-old in a high chair. Bizarre.

Either these writers don't have children or child care is a whole 'nother deal south of the border. That certainly speaks to an unusual need for control and mommy-is-the-center-of-your-world.
 

Just a few days ago she was spoon-feeding his current 8-year-old self.
 

I'm glad others mentioned Pat's completely problematic "thousands." Of all people, he should know Candy's not going to take that statement well in ANY context.

Thanks also for others evaluation of Candy and Chava. I viewed it as her overcompensating b/c she has hated men so long. Her ostentatious displays of affection prove to her that she's OK and doesn't have to change her behavior or forgive.

I do have a question though. If Candy being pursued by so many is baffling b/c she's not nice and the men who want her want to marry her, what about Alicia? I know male viewers find her hot but she's awful too. So am I to conclude that just b/c a woman is hot, does not mean a man would marry her?
 

Karen, this male viewer sees the Alicia character as nothing but a parasite.

Plus she looks mean. I hope for the actress' sake that that's a function of makeup and acting skill.
 

Julia, squicky? I like that.
Carlos
 

Judy, thanks for another fun recap. I love your writing style, and I always pick up ideas for my recaps, since I don't really have much experience writing.

Karen: As to what men think, I'm certainly not one to speak for the entire gender, but here is a breakdown of whom I'd marry (if I were single and 30!).

Candy - No way. Too demanding, too cutesy, and I'd be blinded by those teeth!

Alicia - Sorry, very sexy, but too clingy, and I don't trust her.

Soledad - Pretty, nice, but she seems too sad, not much sense of humor, too earnest.

Barbara - I think I'd like her as a friend, but I'm not really attracted to her.

Chayo - Sign me up! She's fun, vulnerable (I like that, but somehow not with Soledad), pretty, cute, and I hope she gets rid of that bum Ed pronto!

Marissa - Way too weird, too made up, don't like her hair, she's funny, but no connection for me.

Lulu - Definitely. Pretty, sweet, fun loving, I'd help her out of her naivete, and teach her the ways of the world.
 

Well Hombre...thanks for that rundown. (and thank you Karen for inspiring it) Chayo and Lulu. Yes, they're both adorable and good-humored. Plus hate to add this, but I'm assuming they'd hold up the domestic end quite well...good cooks etc. That counts, let's face it.

All Alicia can do is yell for the maid (other than dream up interesting sexual scenarios) and she's a bit "tarnished" to represent ideal marriage material.

Telenovelas seem to be pretty old-fashioned in that the heroines are virginal, or near-virginal in Candy's case, and that's part of the allure. Alicia has obviously been around the track almost as many times as Patricio.

I have only seen this actress play skank roles but am always impressed by how well she performs exercise and yoga movements. Really impressive.

Carlos, Julia has all kinds of interesting words, "squicky" being one of them. I always enjoy her Cuidado recaps even though I find the show itself, at present, unendurable.

Ugh..glad I missed Candy spoon-feeding an 8-year-old. Creepy.

So it's official...in this group, NOBODY wants Candy.
 

Thanks Mike and Hombre for male perspectives on the females on this show. ITA with both of you - I think Alicia is a parasite (great term for her Mike) and want Chayo and Lulu to find nice men b/c they're wonderful gals.

Judy - ITA that the actress who plays Alicia clearly could be a great aerobic instructor. AND no one likes Candy (or if we do its b/c Santi's in love with her and that's it).
 

Wow Judy! That's quite a title you have. I had one root canal and it was so horrible that I swore I would never have another.
I guess if I had a title it would be queen of the broken teeth.
My dentist is an elderly man and I have known him most of my life. He is excellent in "patching up". He learned at his father's knee when everything the dentist did he did himself, i.e. makeing your own crown, dentures, etc.
He has no plans to retire which is good for me because I am also queen of the dental chickens. I'm a real baby when it comes to dental work!

Re: Candy and Chava
I think Chava is the love of her life because Pat hurt her so badly and she hasn't been able to trust again.
Chava will reach that age when he doesn't want mom to baby him anymore.
Candy reminds me of some elderly women of other cultures I have known whose similar behavior towards their children was perfectly natural in their homeland.
I know this isn't real life but isn't it funny how involved you get with the characters?

Carrie L.
 

PS Hombre...what tipped the scales (no pun intended) in Lulu's favor?

I'm guessing it was the wonderful vamp-Meño scene where she smeared whipped cream on the fridge door and whatnot. I could tell the actress was having a blast playing that one, and goodness knows she was displaying a very shapely leg to full effect.
 

Hi again Karen and Carrie...I'm off to go teach a class but I missed your comments while writing my PS.

There's something really fun about thinking you're going to have a certain number of comments and Bloop! suddenly there are two more...like surprise Christmas presents.

Carrie, your dentist sounds like a dear. Mine's a slick guy with a year-round tan, up to the date equipment and all the staff have had training in "active listening" and "supportive comments" as far as I can tell, because you always walk out of there having heard a gazillion times what a wonderful patient you are and how well you handled this, yada yada yada. Good therapy...or would be if it weren't so obvious.
 

Hombre, I pretty much go alongwith your picks although perhaps for slightly different reasons. The one exception is Soledad. I don't think that she's ever been given a fair chance. Of the lot, she's had to deal with the harshest realities. As an old guy, I find Santiago's mom enchanting.
Carlos
 

You know, we left out Hortensia. I find her attractive in an unconventional way, she has a great figure, is witty, resourceful, loyal, and a little bit needy. What else could you ask for in a woman? OK Judy, we don't know if she can cook.
Carlos
 

oh my gosh, I haven't even gotten all the way through and I'm dying at the suggestion that Fruitflies do the same thing!!! Hysterical!!!
 

Ohmygod, I just read the fruitfly line too, don't know how I missed it last night. Sooooo funny. thanks and also for the Pope line, Feast of reason and the flow of soul. I have a Eng.Lit degree and didn't remember it either although I loved my course on Pope and the age of reason boys.
 

Glad you enjoyed the fruit flies guys...somebody has to!

Carlos, thanks for your vote for the older woman...AND Hortensia. She does have a nicely put together figure and I'm sure she'd fix anything any guy wanted...all you'd have to do is ask. That throaty voice would ease over a lot of mediocre cooking anyway. (and there's always take-out).
 

Just read all the comments. Although I still can't watch an entire episode of this show, I love the folks who recap and comment here....such insightful, fun, and thoughtprovoking ideas. Re the dentist : Mine is the best. He's about 40 and funny. He's a real people person with a great ''chairside'' manner. He's my hero because he never hurts me . On the downside,even though Hub and I have a great medical plan, we have NO dental coverage . As for the mujeres on this show, if I were a guy [or Ceci], I would go for Chayo. I loved this actress on the Bailando show . Her personality is sweet , and she's a great dancer and a cutie. On the show, she seems to also have a nice personality. As for the guy I'd go for...none of them do it for me .
 

Well, Chayo it is. So Eduardo needs to get a clue before he loses the best gal ever.

Plus, glad you have a great dentist even if you're paying full price, Susanlynn. I pay full price for my youngest who doesn't have health insurance but fortunately with the fluoride treatments my kids all had as youngsters, her dental bills are just for cleaning.
 

Re Chayo, Emilia and I think that actress would be a great match for our younger son. Cute smile, big brown eyes, oh my, yes!

Any ideas how I might contact her father to arrange a dowry? A dozen sheep, perhaps a goat or two. Symbolic, really, but one must observe protocol.

And I do agree w/ Carlos on the Isabel character.
 

OMG y'all are hilarious! I'm sorry I was so darn busy at work today that I had to miss all the fun.

I agree with Mike that Marissa seems like she'd be a good comedic actress. And I think I read somewhere that the woman who plays Alicia used to be in a comedy group with the guy who played Vasco in Querida Enemiga. Or maybe I dreamed it.

Anyway, thanks for the laughs everyone, and thanks again for the awesome recap Judy.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder