Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tontas Tuesday March 17 '09 And The Beat Goes On....

Yes, the beat goes on....but unfortunately it's a downbeat. We have more sturm und drang from the night before and it's all pretty grim, interspersed with the obligatory telenovela humorous moments.

Let's skip the rehash and go right into the foreboding announcement by an offscreen voice which intones: "La revanche tiene dos caras esta noche". (Revenge has two faces tonight.) And those two faces are Marissa and Alicia...scary indeed!

So with that in mind, we're now brought back to Candy and Patricio's cozy front door chat. He's already told her he'll be there for her. She's already blessed him with a radiant smile and they've shared a major, full-body hug. But Patricio's still piling up points. You're so brave (valorosa) he assures her. No, just tired (cansada) she replies. Oh no, you were brave enough to go on and remake your life after some stupid guy (Patricio) broke your heart. You were incredible, you raised a son who adores you. You're a perfect mom....and so incredibly beautiful.

He probably could have gone on much longer but Meño arrives, he sympathizes with him, promises to be there for him also, they share a sketchy hug and as Meño leaves, Patricio sighs, It kills me to see him like that. This gets another full-body hug and a little tear trickling down Candy's cheek. Team Patricio? Are you out there? Right now your side's winning. But the games not over yet. Not even sure we're at half-time. Hang on.

Now we see Meño in his room, gathering some wooden beads from a box and clutching them angrily while violins and later piano music plays poignantly. I thought they were worry beads at first, but it's a carved wooden rosary and he's really letting the Almighty have it! Why him and not me? he asks. He's full of dreams, illusions, love....why him!? Candy reminds him that while he might be angry with God, God will never be angry with him. And right now, he needs Him more than ever. Meño seems to heed her words, but also reminds her she needs to get going. Tonight is her radio program. Life goes on (la vida sigue). Candy finally agrees to go but she reminds him that they need both Valor y Amor. (at least that's what my lagging closed captions said. I swear I heard Valor y Humor but maybe that's because it's MY motto). Anyway, take your pick.

Okay a little breather. And I do mean little. It's the kitchen at Santiago's house. All three kids are there, Donato and Tina dancing attendance on them. Rocio's upset at seeing Lucia cry, but the discussion moves on to Chava and Beto's "boss status" at the restaurant and the whole thing ends up with ice cream for all. Chunky Monkey? Dunno. Looked more like Neopolitain to me.

Candy's at the radio station, being given the tour before the program. Turns out the subject is going to be male infidelity. The woman showing her around is definitely on board for that one! "Ya me apunto" (Sign me up!)

And speaking of male infidelity, we see the Abandonados, Eduardo front and center, talking about trying a second honeymoon with Chayo. Ah, you're just doing that 'cause you don't have a girlfriend anymore, his buddies sneer. There are some jibes directed at Santiago also, until our bandanna guy (from Fea) calls a halt. Let's have harmony and no talk about problems. I'm down with that.

The program starts. Candy and her column are introduced. She starts talking a mile a minute and introduces her colleagues who also talks at warp speed, explaining what each of them does. Soledad's in charge of giving tips for family life which struck me as extremely odd...but whatever.

The caller to the program is a very angry woman, repeatedly cheated on by her husband. When she lowers the boom, things change for a while. He acts nice, very romantic but then, after a short time, he starts coming home late at night again, smelling of other women. And when he IS home, he never touches her.

Sounds just like Chayo's story and of course she's quick to chime in and tell her...he'll just keep on flipping back and forth like that if he knows you'll forgive him over and over.

The Abandonados are outraged. No fair. They can't give their side. But wait, Raúl suggests that the guys could have their own program. And the fight is on!

Uh oh...we see our sexy and suspicious waitress plying Sven and Olé with strong drink, tequila to be exact. Why don't they just relax and enjoy themselves while she takes care of all the clients? Done. This doesn't bode well at all.

In the meantime, our Insitutas have wrapped up the discussion with their practical advice, as per instructions. Perhaps the caller, with her negative attitude, is pushing hubby into the beds of other women. (WTF!!!???) Maybe you should try to be more attractive. Flirt with your husband. Make sex enjoyable. And if that doesn't work, see a marriage counselor. Okay, honestly...that's what they said. I'm going to refrain from editorial comment. We break for an ad. Couldn't come at a better time.

When we come back, Sven and Olé are three sheets to the wind but sexy waitress is still pouring more tequila down their gullets. We know for sure now she's a baddie.

The gals are still sitting around the table, enjoying the success of their first radio program when they're rushed out to make room for the next program which is....guess what? the Abandonados. They're properly outraged and Candy wishes them luck through gritted teeth. And what did the guys say? Well, the main thrust (no pun intended) was that women can be unfaithful too. Nah nah nah, we NEVER SAID women weren't unfaithful, quibbles Candy. But that wasn't the subject tonight. No matter. The guys are off and running, all talking at once and I'd be surprised if actual listeners could make any sense of it, but the fellows appeared to be having a marvelous time expressing themselves. Let's leave it at that.

A highly charged moment with Meño and Charley now. Charley is sitting hunched on the stairs, gazing at a picture of him and Lucia and bemoaning what he's done to her. Meño comforts him and wisely tells him he doesn't know yet if Lucia is infected (let's wait for the test results) and also reminds him that they need to tell Charley's mother. He's firm and upbeat until Charley walks out the door and then he collapses and sobs quietly for a moment. Again, a scene very well acted by both men.

And now our two wicked witches are shown cooking up their plan. Marissa has a scheme which will not only hurt Santiago and Candy but will help Alicia latch onto and hang onto Patricio. Can you guess what it is? They propose a toast and Marissa wants tequila! Alicia is shocked (give her credit for something) but Marissa shrugs it off. I'm not sure one tequila is going to produce fetal alcohol syndrome but I understand tests are showing that even small amounts of alcohol are believed to be responsible for many learning disabilities. Not good.

Back at the studio, the guys are still talking. And their conclusion? Hey, we men couldn't be unfaithful if there weren't willing women out there. And they rest their case.

After the ads, a well-filmed scene. We see Lucia's face, framed through the window of a doll house, carefully moving a little figure around. Then she sits on Rocio's bed where her grandmother finds her. She's longing to be a little girl again, missing her parents terribly. Isabella reminds her that she has Santiago....and she has her grandmother. But I miss my parents so much, sighs Lucia, as Isabella holds her close. Lots of good hugs in this episode, I must say.

The guys and gals (make that boys and girls) are marching around the radio studio chanting and teasing and basically looking like they're at recess. We're funnier, say the guys. We're more instructive, reply the girls. And that's the first and last time you'll ever do a program. Not if the listeners liked it, snaps Raúl. "Ni un paso atrás" (not one step backwards) chant the gals. At this point, I'm thinking they're going to play dodge ball or Red Rover Come Over but the scene mercifully ends.

Charlie and Meño arrive to close up the restaurant and find not only two soused waiters but that they've been robbed. Must have been the new waitress, muse our two Romeos. What new waitress!? screeches Meño...this is going to be paid for!

Alright, phase one of the revenge plan. Alicia shows up at Patricio's hotel room (I just happened to be in the neighborhood sez she) and unloads the story, sob sob, of how she just had to talk to him, he's the only one she has, and she's been to the gynecologist, she's sterile, she wants a baby in the worst way (that's for sure) and, and.....
Wait just a minute. This doesn't compute, observes Patricio.
I know, I know, I said I didn't like kids, didn't want 'em, but now that I can't have one, I WANT ONE!!!! And I know you already have two children....but you never got to hold them in your arms, I want to GIVE YOU A BABY.

Of course Patricio's not falling for this. Go home, take a nice, hot bath, he advises. Rethink ("recapacitas") this. I'll change and take you home. While he goes off to do that, we see Alicia's face. She's not happy. So far the plan's not working. But knowing our gal, she won't give up. Give her props for persistence.

Candy arrives home to find Chava waiting up for her....except he's fallen asleep on the couch. Kisses are exchanged, he's delighted to see her happy again, Candy and Gregoria hoist him up by hands and feet and haul him off to bed, while he clutches Merengue, the creepy little puppet.

Another tender family scene with Lucia and Santiago. They're at the clinic, she's repeating that she's scared. He's reminding her it's better to know. A rather frightening looking nurse with a mask and gloves comes with the needle. Could you take the sample? Lucia asks Santiago. Even though he reminds her of the nurses' skill, she really wants him to do it....and tenderly adds..."Papa". Okay, I'll admit it...that got to me. And she probably could have asked him to take it standing on his head singing la Marseillaise and he would have done it. Quite a moment. As was the moment between Meño and Charlie.

Not so fine a moment is the unholy alliance between Alicia and her mother-in-law. They're double-teaming Patricio (who's spent the night after taking Alicia home so late) and Mom's thinking it's a great idea for Patricio and Alicia to adopt. Patricio shoos away Alicia so he can try and talk some sense into Mom . (Of course Alicia creeps around the corner and listens in). Mom, it's illogical that we adopt. Our relationship is over. Hey, don't worry, assures Mom. Adoption takes years. Alicia will give up. No problem. Uh oh....that was the long slow windup and we all know the fast pitch that's coming. Too bad Patricio doesn't.

Marissa meanwhile is doing her little bit to add to the suffering in this world. Wringing tears out of poor Rocio as she tells her she won't have a little brother because her dad doesn't want Marissa to be her mommy. Santiago, arriving home emotionally spent from the clinic visit with Lucia, to be greeted by the sight of his heartbroken daughter and a gleefully triumphant Marissa.

Alicia bops back in the room even though Patricio says he's still talking to his mother. I want to be a mom! insists Alicia. Look, we'll divorce, you're attractive, you'll meet some marvelous man and then you can adopt.

Nuthin' doing...you owe me insists Alicia.

Patricio leaves and Mom encourages Alicia. Don't give up, she assures her, a baby could save your marriage.

As I said, the hugs in this episode have been great. The advice though....absolutely horrendous.

Rocio's lost in her sad memories of the loss of much longed for little brother. Gets in trouble with the teacher. And when another boy taunts her after class for being stupid...and a fight ensues...the teacher docks her three points for poor conduct. Poor Rocio.

The tender moments between Meño and Charlie have deteriorated into a fight. Meño wants him to tell his mother. He's arranged for an airline ticket so they can talk in person. Charlie angrily tells him not to run his life. And there's no way he's going to tell his mom he has AIDS from sleeping with a neighbor.

Tonight's episode ends with a poignant scene between Candy and Santiago. My kids need my help and I don't know what to do, he sighs. No words needed here. And indeed, no words are adequate. She hugs him tenderly. And that's that.

Alas, the previews don't look good. It seems Candy's going to be there for Santiago, but only as a friend. She's still exploring her relationship with Patricio. And Alicia "no queda con los brazos cruzados" (literally not staying with her arms crossed. Lets just say she's not giving up yet!)

Vocabulary:
recapacitar = to reconsider, think again
related verbs....
capacitar = to prepare, to qualify
capacitarse = train (I first learned that verb reading about McDonald's training of Hispanic employees)
mande =como, what? In Mexico, more likely to use "mande" than "como" Also a more polite, respectful way of saying ¿Qué For a further discussion of the verb "mandar" and its uses, see Jarocha's comment on the blog line.
achicopalado (a) =sad, depressed Meño told Charlie not to be "achicopolado". dictionary also gives overwhelmed, afraid in some contexts
ya me apunto = present tense used as a "near future". Sign me up. I'm in. I'm up for that.
patrañas = tall story, one of the gibes the guys threw at the gals at the radio station
ni un paso atrás = not one step backwards

The rest of the vocabulary is embedded. Test next week!


Labels:


Comments:
Great recap JudyB. I guess at this point I shouldn't feel shy about stating the fact that I'm on team Patricio, he was great comforting Candy and showing support to Meño, Alicia is annoying, her schemes to get Pat are so redundant, didn't she try to get pregnant like a month ago?

Every time I even think about Eduardo I want to punch him, he is so awful.

Santiago (like Patricio) is at his best when we see him as a father.

The kids are still really cute.

Achicopalado is more like sad, depressed. Meño told Charly not to let himself get so down.

You are right about ¿Mande?, but also I wanted to add, that the word is used instead of ¿Qué? as a way of good manners, you can still use ¿Qué?, but mande is more proper because you are asking in a respectful way, and when you are directing yourself to a stranger or an authority figure, like a teacher or a policeman, or even a client of your business, you have to add Usted: "¿Mande usted?". Also, most domestic workers, waiters, chauffeurs, etc. use "¿Mándeme usted Señor(a)?

Jarocha
 

Judy, I have no idea how you do these so well and so fast!

Oh, that scene when Luc says, "Por favor, Papa." Was there a dry eye in the house??? One of the most memorable scenes to date. I just loved your conclusion - "And she probably could have asked him to do it standing on his head singing la Marseillaise and he would have done it." Perfect!

Somewhere on some level, I think Luc felt like, "If my papa does the test, I'll be okay." Also in the beginning of the show, note Santi's velvet voice when he convinced Luc to get tested. Story from my life: while I lived in Korea I was genuinely phobic about rats (the phobia was connected to Korea). When I returned stateside, I was in a situation where I had to walk five feet from a woodrat nest, and I could hear them rustling. My greatest fear. I implored my compañero, JB Wood, for reassurance. In his velvet voice, he said, "They're not going to get you." JB said it, and I believed it. That day JB's voice broke the power of my phobia.

Last image. Santi saying, "My life is a disaster, Candy." Powerful!
 

Judy, re: your vocab, "Ya me apunto." The word was new to me, and it's a phrase I would like to use, so I looked it up on Word Reference. It appears that apuntar is to note down, but apuntarse is to enroll or sign up for something. I'm a little sketchy on reflexives, and as I said, the verb is new to me. But is she saying "I'll take notes," or is it, "Sign me up!"?
 

For all their "sisterhood is powerful" pontificating the Institutas sure give crappy advice.

JudyB, I know these episode are depressing, but quite honestly the excellent acting has me mesmerized. I actually looked forward to tonight's episode and I enjoyed it very much.

I'm a bit confused about the thieving waitress subplot. I wonder why it was thrown in?

Thanks Judy, another stellar and unbelievably fast recap!!

Yo me apunto means something like "I'm in!" So I think it's more like "sign me up".
 

Judy, Such a tasteful handling of a maddening episode and you managed to be funny too. Your skills are as impressive as your self control. I was losing it just sitting here watching while like you mention, they take our lovely little light and amusing telenovela and break our heart with saddness.

I am on team Santiago just for the record. I can't believe that Patricio has the moral or psychological fortitude to be a good mate. Just a very sexy boyfriend turned less than honorable adult. I do love his parenting moments though. He is right on the wave length of those two adorable little boys, and about the same emotional maturity too I guess.
 

Thanks so much, Jarocha, for those shadings of meaning which a dictionary will never give us...we need a native speaker! I will add that to the vocabulary section. As you know, we love your input and depend on it as we go through our own learning processes with the language and culture. Muchas gracias!

And yep, Team Patricio is running strong right now.
 

Funny about "ya me apunto" because I always jot down my guesses before I check the dictionary and "sign me up" or "I'm on" was my guess also. But I always double-check with the dictionary, not trusting my instincts. (well, because I often AM wrong)...Ahem... another correction...glad to do it. The feedback really helps me.
 

My subsconscious kept roiling around with the show last night and I woke up at 5 am with some really depressing dreams.

I don't want to beat this subject to death, but the flip 50's ladies magazine type advice they hand out on this show is maddening.

And remember the one sentence discussion of teenage love and sexuality?..."use a condom". No mention of the emotional repercussions of taking that first step and what it would mean.

Just once, I would like everybody to say "I'm responsible for what I do. You're responsible for what you do. I can change my behavior. I can't change yours. That's your job."

Mind you,I'm not against advising the angry caller to become a more upbeat person. After all, she has to live with her own thoughts and emotions 24 hours a day, so she'd better build a mind she wants to live in. But to dismiss her lamentable marital situation as perk up, get pretty and sizzle in bed was pathetic.
 

Judy, I couldn't agree more with your comment about the 50s ladies magazine advice. I would love to know who is writing this stuff. Are the writers men, women, aliens? Even Ceci was nodding her head at the bogus advice.

Also, good point about the namby-pamby condom advice. I would think this TN would be a bit stronger on the subject considering they were specifically contracted by the Mexican Dept of Health to address the issue of AIDS.

Oh well, enough of the morning rant. Overall I really enjoyed the episode and I LOVED JudyB's recap.
 

Thank you Judy! Your recaps are often the most fun part of the show.
Sad and sadder is the way it is going. I agree, the acting is excellent and keeps me tuning in.
Mariloca and Alica are a good pair. I don't think either one could trust the other and would just as easily turn and attack.
While I'm not on team Pat I do agree that he has become very supportive of Candy.
I want her to run to Santi and make a commitment but I'm not sure it's going to happen anymore.

Carrie L.
 

Thanks, Judy, for another quick but complete recap, fun to read, great vocab and plenty of observations. I also agree with you about the weak advice. Of course, as a man, I still think there's a kernel of truth in that if a man is straying, maybe he's bored with his wife, so if she tries to be upbeat, warm, or even sexy, it MIGHT get him to rethink what he's doing. However, we did see Chayo make Ed a nice candlelit meal, dress up, and it didn't seem to stop him, so it may not work in all cases.

I agree that Meño said valor y humor. Can't trust those closed captions.

How did those guys all happen to a) get to the radio station b) be allowed to preempt whatever show was scheduled? Weren't they at their abandonados hotel room? Well, I'll just have to suspend belief a little on that one.
 

My son found a GREAT YouTube clip. Argument set to Beethoven's 5th. Is it pertinent to Tontas? YES! Think Ed and Chayo.
 

Judy, what another great recap of a show that just keeps getting grimmer and grimmer. I agree that your recap is by far the happiest part of last night's episode. Thanks to the current CCer I'm actually having to listen to the dialog. The CCs are almost confusing as they are displayed now.Maybe the regular CCer is on spring break. The one that's doing it now is close to using yadda yadda yadda.

We're being treated to some very well-executed tender scenes but I for one would like to see things lighten up a bit. It's time for Isabel to throw another 60s party and resurrect Santi's band.
 

Judy, excellent recap. I thought I must have lost all my Spanish comprehension skills when I heard the ladies suggest to the caller that her husband's infidelity was her fault. Ugh. Not that the woman shouldn't take a careful inventory of any part she may have played in the deterioration of her marriage so as to avoid repeating all this in a future relationship, but...

I'm still on Team Santi, but I thought Pato was looking quite hot in that black shirt. I love how delusional Alicia is...Pat constantly talks of divorce, and she talks about a baby.
 

Thanks for all those kind words, guys, I needed them after spending 3 hours at the car shop on what was supposed to be an "Express Oil Change Service". I evidently got put in the Slow Boat to China line. Granted they found an unexpected problem when the car was hoisted. At least I had my mostly unread Selecciones and could work on my Spanish anyway.

Hombre, I don't fault the advice, really. If we all acted as warm and sexy and supportive as when we were dating, marriages would for sure be happier (that goes for the guy's behavior too, of course). But infidelity is more complex than that, and the tone of the evening seemed to be it's the victim's fault and she either fixes it or puts up and shuts up. Not realistic or helpful.

And speaking of not helpful...yes, the CC's are lagging so far behind (for those of us who still have it) that they're not of much use. But it's an incentive to study more, get better and need them less.
 

PS Forgot to rectify the "achicopalad" definition. It's fixed now.
 

Paula, I LOVED that clip of argument to Beethoven's 5th!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder