Friday, April 24, 2009

Las Tontas Thurs 4/23 - A little competition, a lot of advice, a little amnesia, and a LOT of romance (but is it enough?)

Hola Amigos! Tonight was a first for me. Somehow my Tivo got jammed up, would not record, and although I had sound I had no picture on my TV screen. I was in a panic but did the best I could with audio only on the fly. Then I compared what I had to what I could find on youtube and the following is my best effort. There are some conversations and scenes that are utterly lacking so if any of you would care to fill in the blanks I would be extremely grateful. Thank you in advance.


Pat visits Meño's house supposedly to see Chava but of course he wants to know about Candy. Meño says she's out but Pat can go ahead and kiss the boy goodnight. Meño mutters "Ay Candy Candy" and rubs his face. I guess he likes Santi but he likes Pat too and maybe he thinks Candy's jerking Pat around.

Charly's up in his room about to snort some coke but Pat catches him and good gosh darn thing. Pat gives him an ultimatum, talk to Pat now or go right down and talk to dad. Pat rubs his face and says "My God what are you doing?"

Santi and Candy are at their romantic dinner with a string quartet where she surprises him with a game of foosball. She calls for Musica Maestro and instantly scores a goal. Candy 1, Santi 0. Now he gets a goal and the game continues. I think this bit, along with the punching, is supposed to show that Candy can be more than a novia, she can be a real pal, although I don't know many pals who punch each other.

Chayo tries to console Lalo for shooting blanks and their conversation is very confusing. Well, confusing to me anyway. This is where someone else can jump in and help me out.

Candy and Santi are back at the table and she gives him a Chivas jersey for losing and because they are now novios. He pronounces it horrible and challenges her double or nothing. If she loses she has to go to a game and cheer "Aquillas!"

Paulina pretends to roam the house trying to recall her identity. Isa asks does Pau really feel bad and Pau dolefully answers yes because nobody believes her. Isa asks does Pau remember the Three Musketeers and Mario? Pau gasps "Mario" and this gets Isa's attention.

I guess Candy won because she gloats (or would that be "goats") and takes a pic of Santi in his Chivas jersey. He pretends to hate it but he says he's happy becuase they are novios. Then the quartet starts to play Pomp and Circumstance and Santi instantly shushes them. I'm not sure I get the joke, is it because Santi and Candy are about to "graduate" to the next level or is this march sometimes played at weddings? I seem to recall this being played recently at a TN wedding but I could be wrong.

Lalo tries to tickle Chayo into making love but she tells him she has a headache and has no desire to boink. Whatever, Lalo flips over and Chayo talks about adoption, then she tries to tickle him. He says no no no no he's got a headache too but Chayo is more insistent than he is and he's a guy and...

Back at the restaurant Santi decides to count the many ways they love each other and sings "Love is a splendored thing"; heh, he missed the "many" in there but hey, if that babe were singing to me I really wouldn't care what words flew out of his lips. Candy blabs a bit that their mixed up households and relationships might be a bad example to the kids but about one second later they kiss...boy howdy do they kiss.

An irritated Paulina recalls Isa's words that an old friend came to visit. "Mario found me," she hisses.

When Santi gets home later that night Isa asks how things went. He tells her he knows the baby was born blah blah blah. Isa notes that apart from that he seems happy. He sings that he's in love tra la but then skips out before giving her the whole story.

Pat has a man to man with Charly about drug use. "Drugs kill," says Pato,"Why Charly, why?" "Why not, I'm a dead man walking" says Charly. Pat tells him, "Life is hard, with HIV, with cancer, with whatever and I know you're mad but it's time to show who you are. Are you a mediocre?" Charly is thankful for the pep talk and for not ratting him out to his dad.

It's morning and Candy awakes in her poka dot bed recalling last night's kiss. Meanwhile Santi also recalls his hot date and wakes up, this day is NOT like every other day because he's in love and writes "CANDY" on the mirror with shaving cream.

Candy's in an obnoxiously good mood with the family. Meanwhile Santi is also in an obnoxiously good mood with his family including the terminal wet blanket Paulina who plays like she's the mom of the house and everyone in it. Santi speaks rapidly and the family is amused at the way he asks for beans. Sorry, I missed this funny conversation because my boyfriend called to ask me to record the Sharks game and I had to break the bad news to him.

Meño the Metiche, on recon for Gregoria, wants Candy to tell him all about her date with the plastic doctor. Are they novios? "Nada" he reports back to Gregorio, Candy didn't spill nuthin'.

Over at the rich house Isa says Pau needs a shrink but Santi doesn't want to talk about it. Isa says OK then what about last night? She cuts to the chase, are he and Candy novios? "Si!" laughs Santi,"but don't let the paparazzi know."

Greg has a heart to heart with Candy, she tells Candy she was never very happy with her dad because he didn't show feelings and he had sex with and supported another woman. Now she's feeling for the first time that love is not a sin. Candy says she thinks Greg is the best mom because she's talking to her daughter and the important thing is that her feelings are alive.

The kids are playing together and decide to build a spaceship. (Un nave espacial, took me a while to get that one.)

Lulu is depressed but Candy encourages her not to break her pinkie promise. She blabs a few Candy platitudes and tells Lulu she loves her. Pato interrupts with Charly and says last night he discovered a problem and he needs to talk to Candy about it. Lulu makes goo goo eyes at Pato.

Back at the big house Paulina, with extreeemely skinny arms, does the dishes. Her ruse works because Isa thinks she must have amnesia if she's helping with chores. Pau says next she'll go to the garden and rake the leaves. Tina says yep she's loca but that's fine as long as she keeps working.

Pato tells Candy about Charly doing lines and now he wants to first talk to Barbara then he will tell Meño everything. Candy thanks Pato for becoming involed for the betterment of Charly. She starts to make puppy dog eyes at him and then shakes it off. Something tells me Santi's not free and clear yet.

Santi talks to Isa about buying a ring for Candy to signify their alliance. She gives Santi her own wedding ring (presumably from her first marriage but how did she just happen to have it in her hand?) and tells some story about her dad being poor. (This is another place I could use some help. Sure would be nice to know the family story.)

Someone calls Paulina, I wonder who it is? It's Mario calling to rip on her about leaving her cell phone behind. "Leave me in Peace!" she shrieks. "Calm down Pau," he says, casually tormenting her as he drives around in his convertible. She throws her phone on the bed.

Donato helps the kids build some sort of aeronave (aircraft) with wood, a garden rake, a construction cone and other junk. Santi and Miguel show up and point out they won't be the first astronauts to set food on the moon. "But the first Mexicans yes!" they shout and Santi and Miguel contratulate the kids. Santi introduces Miguel to Jaime because Miguel wants to open a bar and Jaime can play there. Jaime can play and Zamora will sing. Hmmm...

Over at Casa Bonita Toño laughs while reading the comics about Las Aventuras de Frijolito. This reminds Zamora of his dad may he rest in peace...even though he abandoned Zamora. (Hey, I wonder how Margarita Chilaquiles is doing? I ask because Toño is reading Frijolito, the comic strip that MC frequently referred to.)

Al exercises while Marissa reclines and the cute little baby lolls on the bed. Al wants to know when Mari will return to Mexico. Mari doesn't know, it's too dangerous right now. Then she cackles and says something about a rash, either the baby has one or is giving her one. Whatever it is she said I'm sure I hate her all the more for it.

Meño sadly asks Charly is he crazy for doing drugs? Charly admits he did the lines in his bedroom. Meño is stricken, did he even think about Chava the kid?

Isa watches Donato water the garden and remembers his words about two types of love. She approaches him and says sorry but she overheard him telling Tina that he was in love with Isa. She tells him that he's confusing gratitude for love. He apologizes if he offended her, he's simply a butler. Isa corrects him, he's simply a very sensible man, didn't offend her at all and will make a woman very happy.

Meño scolds Charly some more about snorting coke up in his room. Drugs will destroy the family. Meño tells him to think of his family. He has Meño's heart in his hands. Charly says he's going to die but Meño encourages him to have hope, Charly will live many more years, maybe a cure will be discovered. More talk about dying. Charly instantly decides dad is right and he feels better. Meño tells Charly "Look me in the eyes, I love you no matter how you want to say it."

Santi surprises Candy at the institute and locks the door to her office. Ooh la la they kiss. He's such a man in love. He presents the ring in a box and puts it on her finger, saying it was his mother's.

Santi: the ring is so you’ll know I’ll never hurt you. Never. The condition: you wear it until the wedding.
Candy: Wedding?
Santi: Of course! We will marry, obviously! On the day I demonstrate that you can put your total confidence in me, we’ll get married.

Hey, I think Santiago just proposed to Candy!


Mañana: The institutas toast Candy and mimic her laughter. Pato is bummed. Marissa is devious and makes Santi mad.

Labels:


Comments:
Wow Sylvia, heroic! Good job!

I THINK you were asking for help on that last paragraph too. I HOPE I'm not being a metiche here.

Santi: the ring is so you’ll know I’ll never hurt you. Never. The condition: you wear it until the wedding.
Candy: Wedding?
Santi: Of course! We will marry, obviously! On the day I demonstrate that you can put your total confidence in me, we’ll get married.

I have updated the Relationships Chart since Mario has been added to the mix.
 

Sylvia...wish me luck. Off on another solo trip to Charlotte. Since I can get lost just trying to get out of Columbus I'll need your good vibes! Look forward to enjoying your recap when I get back, amiga.
 

Thanks, Cap'n Sylvia~~~Santi wrote ''Candy'' on the mirror in shaving cream. What a card.
 

Kris, just read your recap - it was great. Thank you. I really appreciate your providing the info on the Ellen West Foundation. My opinion of Jaime just skyrocketed.

Sylvia, to say you had technical difficulties was an understatement. How you came up with such an excellent recap without a picture was amazing. Thanks for soldiering on under far less than ideal circumstances.

"... a lot of romance (but is it enough)?" Great question. "She starts to make puppy dog eyes at him and then shakes it off. Something tells me Santi's not free and clear yet." I don't think so either...

Could Marissa get any more vile: "Then she cackles and says something about a rash, either the baby has one or is giving her one. Whatever it is she said I'm sure I hate her all the more for it." Blech. Me too. How they can resist scooping up that beautiful baby and showering him with hugs and kisses is beyond me.

So, was O'Mario having an affair with Paula before she left Santi or did I misunderstand?

Charley needs an intervention and should be in a program. He's been contrite in the past but continues to fall back into his old habits. Do we really know if he was sober at all? Are we really to believe the only time he was using coke was this time when he got caught? I thought Pat used remarkable restraint, I would have been far less forgiving if I found someone doing coke in my kid's room.

I know this is a telenova but to have Santi and Candy talking marriage while his son is missing just seems wrong. I'd be channeling all of my efforts toward finding my child.

Paula, thanks for updating the relationship chart.

Judy, safe trip...

Diana in MA
 

Sylvia, thanks for the recap! Great job, as usual; but I can imagine how tense-making that TiVo outage must have been!

Poor Charly; I agree with someone yesterday, wondering if they were going to make him do everything. I could hardly believe it when that cocaine micro-plot came up.

Charly is played by Eleazar Gómez, and just for info, he won the "Best Young Actor" award in the Premios TVyNovelas 2009.

I notice at his IMDb page, his latest credit is "Atrévete a soñar." Don't know if that's a telenovela, but they list it as a TV series.

Here is my take on the ending of the scene between Patricio and Candy at her office.

He was beginning to get maudlin about missing her last night when he came by.

Candy was remembering where she was, having a fantastic time with Santiago; and it was kind of pitiful, the contrast between her happiness and Patricio's misery at the present moment.

After Patricio had been so kind to Charly, Candy didn't want to mention where she was and make him feel worse; so she just grinned brightly and a bit self-consciously, saying nothing.

Definitely no puppy eyes, IMO. She is so over Patricio.
 

^ ^ Oops, that was me. Punched the publidh button before I put my name in.
 

Geeze, the "publish" button.

I need coffee.
 

Sylvia, very good and very funny. I can't imagine recapping under those conditions(heck, under any conditions). Thanks.

I'm disappointed in O'Mario as well as Pau. That's just so wrong. I would find it very difficult to be forgiving if I were Santi.

Candy's foundation really is a little human repair shop. You got a problem? Bring it to Candy's, we fix it while you wait.

Carlos
 

Paula, you are NOT a metiche and yes I did ask for help. I'm going to add your lovely translation, thank you. I like the updated relationship chart, especially the little pink heart between Chava and Rocio, very cute.

Susanlynn, thanks for your help. Yes, isn't Santi something else?

JudyB safe trip and have fun in Charlotte. Going solo? At least you'll be in good company.

Well I do hope Candy is over Patricio, and she certainly should be, but since this is a telenovela I get suspicious at any little hint of anything at all.

I think the kid who plays Charly is marvelous, I didn't know he won the premio but I'm not surprised. He and Meno are marvelous in their scenes together. Charly's constant backsliding seems pretty realistic to me; kids aren't instantly cured of bad habits plus I think he's crying for help. He could do cocaine anywhere, why did he pick his own room in a house where people are constantly barging in?

Interesting point Carlos; Candy's shop is the Jiffy Lube of relationships.

Last night proved to me how improved my aural comprehension has become since watching these telenovelas. Once I stopped stressing out I ended up understanding more than I thought I would. Some of the characters are so much easier to understand than others! Isabel was the easiest, she must have years of acting and proper enunciating under her belt.
 

Sylvia, using telenovela audio is a great way to pick up Spanish. I have vision problems, and I rip the soundtracks and sometimes listen to them on iPod.

Years ago when I first started watching telenovelas, I made an audio tape while I watched the show and listened later on my Walkman over and over. It really works.

That relationship between Paulina and Mario is going to be interesting. I'm looking forward to it and hearing the history of what transpired.

Paulina leaving for another person makes more sense to me than her leaving for a career.

If she had loved Santiago, she could have plied a career nearby or come and gone from New York and kept up their marriage that way.

Santiago would have agreed, I feel sure. But leaving like she did indicates to me that she did not love Santiago.
 

P.S. Now I remember -- in her hotel room earlier, Paulina complained to Santiago that he never had time for her. He was building his career, and she felt neglected.
 

Did anyone see Mujeres Asesinas last night? Leticia Calderon (who I had never seen before) was in it. It was terribly violent and unsettling. I don't know that I'd watch it again. Diana in MA
 

Sylvia, that was a great recap, you captured everything, thank you!

Paula: Love your chart. Very symmetric!

I also didn't understand why Santi didn't want to hear Pomp and Circumstance. Earlier, the quartet was playing Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (a little night music), which was appropriate for their romance.

Both Charly and Lucía are great actors. Especially since they are, in real life, way older than their characters. The actor who plays Charly is 22, and the actress who plays Lucía is 23!

Diana: I also watched Mujeres Asesinas, also thought it was violent, and also don't think I'll watch it again. Apparently, many people are fascinated with evil women, so bad they commit murder. Of course, we see it all the time in telenovelas, but fortunately not on Tontas (I hope!).
 

Great job under very trying circumstances.

I think the family story with the ring, if I remember correctly, was that Santiago's dad (either that or Isabela's father, I wasn't paying close enough attention to which one they were talking about) didn't have much money at the time of his marriage, but Isa's mother had some money saved and bought the ring. So I guess the tradition is that the women pass it down. Something like that.
 

Oh, also, Meño actually lied to Pat and said Candy was already in bed asleep. I don't know why he didn't just say she was out; it's not like she isn't allowed.
 

Sylvia, Thanks for the awesome recap and especially under trying circumstances. I am loving the growing closeness between Santi and Candi. I wish they would become the undividable team to fight against all the forces like Zorro and his awesome wife in the Cristian Meier (sp?) version. I am tired of everyone working against each other and their own best self interests here. There romantic dinners, fusbal fun and ring giving seem to have a genuine and positive energy.
 

Hey y'all, thank for your comments and for filling in the blanks.
 

Thanks for the recap Cap'n. Permission to come aboard. :-)
I don't know what they are trying to do with poor ol' Charly. I'm beginning to wonder if they'll let him live to the end? He seems to keep getting into trouble. I think it would be best for Lucia to drop him, too much trouble. :-(
Mujeres A.. Yes, bad stuff. Talked about it on MEPS last night. Probably only time I'll watch.
JeffMN
 

Someone has already expressed this sentiment but I think I'll repeat it. I like Charly, he's trying, he got a tough break, he needs friends and family; however, if Lucia were my kid I wouldn't want her involved with him. As Jeff says, too much trouble/baggage.

I'm glad y'all weighed in on Mujeres. I shan't waste my precious time on it.
 

Yes, Charly seems to be a good guy and I thought they had him trying, then this coke business and I don't know how hard he is trying. Writers, give the guy a break. Now he'll have more to talk about at the next get together. I'll have to go and look at the recap again, but did Santi and Lucia find out about this latest business?
JeffMN
 

I hope JudyB had a good trip.
 

That was me. I'm like Woody Allen today: I need to sit down and have a meeting with my major appliances.
 

Testing.
 

Wow, tres impresiv that you muddled through. I didn't see it yet, I had a work event last night, and I have to finish my cap, but it sure looks like you hit all the right nails! Good work sailor!

I did get home in time to watch Mujeres Assesinas. Impactante for sure. Yowsa, the terribly sad thing is these are based on true stories. Horrible. I love seeing all the great and familiar actors, but man the plots are depressing and not the greatest bedtime story. Not sure if I'll watch it again...maybe depends on who appears.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder