Thursday, April 23, 2009

MEPS - Wed. 4/22 - Cap 47 - Holy Charisma, Neither EdFranco nor Barbara Can Control Their Minions

Damian, rages up the stairs and at his wits' end, packs a mighty sloppy suitcase. Gepetto is threatened by Jairo, aka badbarman again wanting to get his Mudmaiden back to work. Damian smirks at his wedding photo, slams it down, Barbara swoops into his bedroom without knocking and poses the important question, Are you packing for your honeymoon? You're missing beach clothes. He snarls, he doesn't want any of this now (no le pega la gana). He is sick of the whole family and the shower of insults (guiñapo) Not willing to lose control, Barbara asks ironically, Where are you going if not on a honeymoon. I haven't the least idea, But he has said this twice in as many minutes. Barbie is going to be an essay in facial expressions tonight.

Over at Manicomio Central, Fernanda tells Doc Obregon, I want to be alone with my sister, absolutely nothing bad will happen. please. You are sad because your good friend died. A good friend is a blessing in life do you know. yes, Lili comforts her little sister Fernanda who explains her sadness at losing someone she loved who was more than a friend.

Damian says he has had it with hysterical women like you and Fernanda and working in the service of this imbecile Gonzalo. Barbara asks, and your marriage? Does your little bride know about this? My marriage can go to hell.

EdFranco instructs Obregon, Martina will stay with Lilli night and day, As Obi resists, Ed asks, do you want to be in jail. Obi whimpers, but she is not a nurse. What really worries you. Obi caves, you will come when it pleases you.

Do you know what worries me, that Lili must not leave here unless I give the authorization. Where is Lili now? With her sister. Martina will stay with Lili and I will come every day, if there is any mishap(contratiempo) you can call me night or day, Ed assures Martina.

Barbara says, where can I call you at the house of your Mama? What about the company. What about this car, I am going to the plant for my car and I will leave this one parked there. what are you going to dedicate yourself to? Then he adds he will benefit from all her secrets (sacarle provecho de tus secretos).

You are in pain for the loss of your friend and what hurts you hurts me. Lili and Fernanda have the emotional closeness the rest of the family can only imagine. And someone died on me that was much more than a friend. Lili is really getting her consciousness back, We can escape to the house of Eduardo and my Nana Soledad. Eduardo is going go come for me. Do you want to see him. You love him more than a friend.

Barbara and Damian carry on as he tries to drive off, This sounds quite (bastante) hard. I want to hear something from you about these last damn 3 years. Before you go would you give me a few minutes. She wants to say good by as two old friends should. She drapes over the window provocatively and for a few minutes sizes him up for bite.

Margarita as one might expect is horrified that Fernanda is being hurt so much by the trick of Eduardo's pretended death. but more she saw the stone that the Eduardo and Nana are commemorated on and is outraged for the sacriligious insult to Soledad. Your good intentions are going to pave (empedrado) the way to hell. Fernanda saw those villainies (bichos) and the schemes (enjaugues) created by Eduardo. She is determined to visit the crypt, Will you come with me or I go alone. Jacinto complies.

Eduardo is driving down the road.

Barbara is driving home her point now having climbed into the car and almost into Damian's lap, You can have love only for Fernanda or Barbara. That's enough, (Suficiente) Barbara. Your desires can only can be awakened by a woman like me there is only one end, to complete all my projects then attend to our love.

* Lili selects clothes assuming she is leaving the asylum. Fernanda tells her she can't leave there but Lili insists that she want to go to the hacienda to visit her dad. Will he like this dress? Fernanda gets a more hopeful look on her face.

Barb applies hand to thigh on Damian while pressing home her point so to speak. Damian remarks, You are always so sure of yourself , then don't go too far from me. She offers him enough to be comfortable (tranquillo) the rest of his life far from the dominion of those Elizaldes. Remember in 3 days, just 3 days I will give you your liberty. and the kiss that I owe you.

On the phone, Gonzo hears that Fernanda wants to bring Lili home. She wants to see you Papa, she is really different. And she can get along very well. Dear old Dad gives in to the enthusiasm, what ever you want to make your sister happy. and they can bring her nurse. What do you think.
Papa feels a very big emotion to have your sister surrounded by her family. And Papa, you have to talk with the doctor to authorize the visit.

Vladimir talks with the nurse I am going to get married. She infers, do you want a sperm test (espermiograma) for HIV (VIH)? No, he grins, I want to see if I can have children. Then, we only need to test a bit of your sperm. Vladi smiles his consent.

Priscilla. tries to talk to Aniblah, insisting that he go with her to tell her brother Rolando and her parents of the pregnancy. but later you can complain (te quejes).

Padre Bosco do you know what happened asks Margarita. We will spare you (ahorrar), secrets here. I imagine you want to go to the crypt, Oh yes, Margarita is on a roll.

Dr. Obregon thinks Fernanda's proposal is very dangerous. Lili could have an attack or breakdown. But she can take her nurse with her, whats to worry about here? It depends on how LIliana feels at the hacienda, how long can she stay, we will see. Nurse says call me Martina, apparently Fernanda has no memory of just another poor girl from the village. I will go get Lili really pretty (retechula) to make the visit. Fernanda says to herself or the ceiling, after so many years Lili will go to the hacienda, It is a miracle!

Flor tries to enforce Aniblah's rules, for meetings in the salon Britannia, in the club: Anibal says that this room needs at least 5 days notice to reserve. She folds to Barbara's screeches, will Don Gonzalo be there? NO, only, Franco Santoro and Barbara Greco.

Barbara has such a charming phone manner, What are you saying you piece of sh.. errr stupidity (pedazo de estupidez) Dr. Obregon tells Babs that Gonzo wants to bring Lili home, he can't deny a family member permission to take her out. Damn! (maldición) curses Barbie.

* Gonzo, all cheerful, tells Barb that Fernanda is bringing Lili to the hacienda and it is all cleared with Doc. She thinks "idiot" , but says do you really know what you are doing. Pleased with himself, he beams, she will have a nurse with her so it won't be anything to worry about.

Fernanda does her girl giggle with LIli who is all excited too. Now they are really going.

Pad Bosco prays with chiming bells with Margarita and Jacinto. You were like her children. Marg starts to criticize Eduardo's villainy but Jacinto stops her, Don't say that Marg. Forgive us padre. they kiss his ring, Suddenly she takes him by the ear, hurry, (apurate) we have to get to some business.

Martina calls Franco to warn him about the going to the hacienda, As Dr. Obi interrupts, she asks did you here what the monkey (mono) said? Franco sighs. Damian shows up and sees Lili and Fernando. We can infer that the thigh squeezing worked its usual magic. Well I am going to take LIli home for the first time in 15 years. Well then let's get to the camioneta (SUV), As he goes out the door, Damian muses, Just wait until we see Babs face when she sees her step daughter with the loca one.

Erika does an awkward Ligera water product placement telling him she is reading a book and enjoying a drink. She doesn't want to pressure him about the little party with her parents, but it could be a few days later. I send you a kiss. Yeah, no pressure here...

Franco listens to his cell phone and types on his computer that he is anxious to talk to Steve but his phone has been turned off all day. Grupos Lactos, is calling in the form of Florecita, Gardenia answers and gets all giddy telling Flor, it's your cousin. Don Franco is my new boss (patron).

Aurora is nervous, Domingo is going to have a fit at her being so late. Santi pleads, we will wait for the nun 15 more minutes. The Mother Superior greets Aurora and for some odd reason, Santi goes into an accentuating his words act, Mother Superior, we want to marry and we want the. blessings, rings, all of it Mother Superior returns dryly, I am not deaf (sorda_, Aurora adds, we need to find my baptism records and do you know the name of my parents. MomSuper's expression isn't promising.

Gardenia enters Franco's office, saying I was told not to interrupt you but Flor called to make an appointment, Barbara Greco wants you to come tomorrow to have lunch with her. What do you want with this woman? the hyena. What did I tell you about questions, reprimands, Franco. She looks at the scrap of paper she wrote on, it is in the salon Britannia at 3:30pm with only elite guests invited. Please call your cousin Floracita and confirm the invitation with Barbara. Always needing the last word, Gardenia goes out saying, I have to cancel all your appointments for tomorrow so you can talk with your bigshots (sus anchas).

Only one character has so much gravel in his voice, we see the back of cigarman's head, His name is Franco Santoro. What do you want with this man? Everything, Manazanares, family friends, ambitions, weaknesses, everything. And when do you want this available (dispongo) . Yesterday it is late. And here is the address (señas) of the country estate (finca) called Las Animas. Guess Arch demon is doing his own investigation of Franco.

* The situation is getting complicated, Steve says Franco, Fernanda is bringing Lili to the hacienda. I am worried we will not be able to find out the secrets my mother left with Lili, and tomorrow I am going to have meeting with Barbara. Steve does Spanglish so perfectly, Oops this situation is grave, my friend, I would like you to have taken me to lunch.

Gardenia bursts in once again to Eduardo's office to announce that Jacinto and Margarita have arrived. They just arrived and they urgently need to talk to you. Margarita takes off mad.

MomSuperior said, Dominga said her name is Aurora because she was born on the 20th of October, Saint Aurora's day. She had had her about six years and had found her in the garbage of the market (basuras del mercado). so they put the last name (apellido) of her benefactor who rescued her.

Dominga is having a fit, the only person that gives orders (mando) is me.

Margarita is telling off Ed for telling all the horrors and lies and dirty tricks. And Pady Bosco how many lies did you tell him? And you have profaned the grave of Soledad. What tall stories (patrañas) have you told of her death. The hyena just finished with us. What did you do? This is a demonic act, to meddle (meterte) with the dead. Franco slows her down, NO, I am trying to meddle with the living like Lili.

Ed says I had the only right to bury her where I wanted And do you think that I have lost my soul, do you think it is a dirty act to move the body of my mother? No all my love and caring and I could not be their until the end to grieve her. This is unjust on your part Margi. What I want is for Barbara's deeds to be known to the living in the plain light of day.

Lili arrives home with nurse and Dam and Fernanda. she is justifiably scared and excited. She sees her papa. His usually dull eyes light up, Daughter he gleams and hugs her, my daughter. How pretty she is he adds. Lili says, and Babara? Look here she comes. Barbara she tries to say how happy to see you, but Lili shirks the attempted hug, and papa says it is Barbara my wife. Don't you remember her? You were just asking for her. Looking confused, Papa says maybe she doesn't recognize you. Lili recognizes her all right. LA HIENA, are her only words of greeting. Even the Greek Chorus says Ohhhh ohhh ohhhh ohhh and not even one MEOW.

*Last scene. Lili insists, Ed told me that he would get you out of the hacienda.

Margarita says Eduardo you can argue so much better than I can, and Eduardo say I am still the same person as before. First he has to save Liliana.

Obregon calls Ed on the phone. They drink lemonade and talk about why Lili is obsessed with Eduardo. Does she know Ed is dead? asks Babs. Fernanda says, I tried to tell her, but she keeps insisting . Lili stands up and says it is true that Eduardo is going to throw out (echar) the Hyena.

Franco tells Dr. Obregon he wants a complete report on when she is going to be back and what is going to happen. the safest place to keep Lili is in the asylum for now. Obregon says he is waiting for Mister Fantasma.

Next scenes: Ed knows Lili was put in the asylum to hide something. Lili says Eduardo is going to kick Barbara out of the hacienda. Ed prepares to go to the meeting with Barbara. We are promised a decisive episode tomorrow night.

Labels:


Comments:
Well, I was wondering how Barbara would keep Damian from fleeing. She certainly can't let him go around shopping her secrets to the authorities. As you so elegantly explained, she puts her hand on his thigh, pressing home her point, so to speak!

Looking forward to watching my tape of this one when I get home from work, Cheryl...thanks...you've given me a lot to think about!
 

And won't it be interesting when Cad and Anibal see Martina in her new "costume." Will they remember her in her former digs at Franco's finca?

As for Santiago, I can't stand him; Mr. James haunts his every stupid action. The Aurora/Santiago scenes are just plain boring to me.

Thank you for the recap! I miss so much with my limited Spanish, and I'm trying very hard to watch without captions.
 

Thanks, Cheryl. Great title !! Wow~What a manipulator that Babs is. I think she'd make a good poker player because she seems to know when to hold 'em ...anyway Babs knows how to control old Dam.
 

Thanks Cheryl! I lose so much of the conversations...my Spanish skills are hopeless.

Gardenia reminds me of a hyperactive 12 year old. Bodacious bod but the mind of a twit.

Can't wait to see Babs vs. Fr/Ed. Of course, it won't be nearly as exciting as Fr/Ed seducing Nanda. Did I mention how incredibly hot he is??????

Maggarita
:-)
 

Cheryl - millones de gracias for the recap. I missed this episode and could not record it either. I hope Lili will be safe at Hacienda Hell-izalde.
 

Wanted to add.... how conveeeeenient (ref: Church Lady http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_Lady) that Damian returned to the manicomio, with the car, before Fernanda ever realized he had left!
 

Thanks for the fun recap Cheryl. I thought it was hilarious that Vlad was actually flirting with the nurse about have a 'spermogram'. She's giggling about testing for VIH and he's batting his eyes about his sperm count. Also, I like how Martina stuck a switchblade in her ample cleavage; should be good times when she feels the need to whip that sucker out.
 

I hope Damian has his travel iron with him, love the packing, hangers & all. This might be getting close to phone throwing.

I just love watching Damian's expressions in sticky situations & he enjoys watching Babs squirm.

anon: 7:52
I think Santiago is the Quintana of MEPS, seems every TN needs one.
When I have the time, I read the synopsis on televisa,
http://www2.esmas.com/entretenimiento/telenovelas/manana-es-para-siempre
then watch on you-tube ( it's about 40 min), then watch on TV with captions to catch what I couldn't understand & THEN here to clear it all up. That's my español lesson for the day.

I find it really hard to understand what they are saying, just hope my efforts will help. And of course having FC makes it all worthwhile & painless.
 

It’s so ironic that now EdFr is causing the Elizade family to believe Lili is crazy.

I said out loud, 3 days! 3 days to kill a priest, kill a stranger, and leave town without a trace?!
How much does Damian really know about la hiena? Like she's an asesina, and has a higher boss?
 

Good morning, what a position, scene shifting episode, huh? Barbara can't control Damian, well maybe she can sometimes, Judy, I think this one was more for our amigo members, Barb is really sexy and playful when she wants to pursuade. She is having less effect on Gonzo who wants to be beaming DAD with his little girls home and giggly. And poor old Obregon, he just folds his tents for the newest command he receives from whomever.

Franco has to reconquer Margarita but I think now he has accomplished that, right.
 

Anon at 7:52 and Variopinta, we learn endless variations on learning Spanish through this wonderful medium of telenovelas. The subtitles on or off is a debate. I personally do both since I seem to retain more if I am getting both an audio and visual feed of the dialog. I think frequency of studying is most important. It is gratifying when I go to Mexico or Spain and don't turn on captions in a hotel room, that I seem to understand better and better each time.

Anon, you might experiment with turning them on and off to see how it changes what you understand right away. With MEPS, the characters speak fairly clearly without a lot of slang but some of them talk soooooo fast, like Fernanda for example. I have always found Colunga easy to understand, he seems incapable of buzz sawing through his lines. He is always clear.
 

Thanks, Cheryl, great recap and, of course the vocab.

Gawd, how I wanted Damian to keep with his original plan to blow town, but Babs really is persuasive. Persuasive on so many levels. Three days, eh?

Gawd, how I wish that Santiago would tone down the affected speech patterns, and just talk like a normal person. We'd all be better off. I'm curious about the Aurora parnentage thing. Babs being mama is too obvious, gotta be a wierd contorted connection between them, tho.

And speaking of speech patterns- what is with Esteve? His english is good, not perfect, lo mismo for his espanol- ala meester James? Last night he said "la contacto", and the CC's followed. The type of glaring mistake that I would make. Just interesting...

When Lili was working on Fer to take her home to papi, when Martina excused herself for a minute, didn't she say that she needed to talk to Franco Santoro, or was it my imagination? I have to youtube it, as that would open a can of worms.


Final commnet- I could not keep from laughing when Lili told all (twice!) that Eddy was going to throw la hiena outta there. Priceless!
 

Cheryl- I'm with you on understanding Colunga- even when he talks fast, he is understandable. The one I have trouble with is Gardenia- so rapid-fire, so much slang. But then, who's LISTENING to her?
 

DDave, I'm with you on Gardenia being so adorable but she is almost as hard to understand as Marichuy over on Cuidado, I guess they work on garbling words to appear different from the very rich. I really disliked Erika being used only for a water commercial last night. How did the water company force such unnatural bottle holding on these fine actors. Money really talks but why couldn't they just advertise on the breaks?

Sylvia, wasn't Vladi's flirty scene a hoot! He is really cute but so oily
 

When La Hiena told Damian he would have his freedom in 3 days, I thought to myself she'll probably end up killing him. That woman is pure evil. I'm also loving the expressions on his face during the whole Lilly comeback.
 

Cheryl- de aquerdo on distinguishing social classes with speech patterns. And "adorable" is a understated description for GArdenia.

I just youtubed, looking for Martina having said that she needed to call Santoro- me recorde' mal, she didn't say it, I must have imagined it. I did, however, watch the seduction of Damian by Babs again. Lucero is just gorgeous- and convincing- how could he possibly stand his ground? I wonder if she is using him, or whether she does intend to run off with him en tres dias...
 

Lots of talk of kisses in this episode. Barb's telling Dam about ''the kiss I owe you.'' Hmmm, I think she might being thinking of the kiss of death. And Erika telling Fr/ed over the phone that she is ''sending him a kiss'' made me think of a student I had from Argentina. She and her doctor husband moved to West Virginia, and she used to call me and ended each call with ''Susan, I am sending a big kiss for you and your family.'' Also, what purpose did Marge's trip to the crypt serve?? I noticed that she hasn't complained about the padre's lie to Nanda about Eduardo's death. Doesn't that bother her ? I am looking forward to Babs and Fr/ed dancing around each other tonight. This is one dude who will not be swayed by your hand on his thigh, Baba. Lastly, Gardenis is to dial it back a bit, and she could use a hobby .
 

That was my impression too CherylNM, that he had overcome Marg again. She and Gardenia are truly sisters.

Doris, I was disappointed by 'how convieeeeenent’ that Damian showed without Fern finding out he had left her – and wasn’t comin’ back. That would have been juicy.

Someone mentioned that the boys (Cad and Ad) may recognize the mud wressler butler nurse Martina, and wonder what’s with that. Well, she has covered more body parts. They just might be seeing her for the first time?

Melinama, I hope you are being energized by the smiles you collect here.
 

Thanks Cheryl, great recap!
Enjoyed seeing Lili make the Hiena squirm, but she needs to get back to the manicomo where she's safer. Those stairs are just waiting for an accident to happen.

Also enjoyed Franco shutting down Margarita's judgemental hysteria. (guess that's in the family) She's right to question it, but she attacks without getting the other side. Maybe she'll be calmer for a while.

Damian is such a loser! He'll let a fairly attractive woman seduce him into immoral and criminal activity. I know, sadly it happens all the time...
jb
 

Caborita: I also wonder if La Hiena intends to kill Damian after he told her he would tell her "secrets". Looks like La Hiena will continue her murderous spree with: Father Bosco, Damian, and who knows who else. Could we add Lucio to the list please.....

Cheryl, you always educate and entertain with your recaps - thanks!

MEPS in AZ
 

I can't figure out what Damian really wants either, Dave. He might think he will go off with Barbie once this ruin the family project is complete. She seems more threatening and more threatened at the same time, since Artemio is probably done with her and her life is in danger but she may finish off Damian to obscure the trail while she gets away.

Bonney Churros you pose and interesting question about what Damian knows about Artemio if anything. And Cabrita, the 3 day warning really is ominous, After 15 years, they really need to hurry these last 3 days. Somehow, this gang lets time get away from them though, the happy couple still hasn't had a honeymoon.
 

Yeah Carborita, eliminate Lucio and do that pimp cantena owner at the same time. He's a danger to society.
 

The only thing I have to say right now is I can't believe none of them,Fernanda inlcuded recognize Martina. They all grew up together as kids.


Ibarramedia
 

Haven't read the recap yet. I have to tell you last night's dream! I was at a banquet, 10 people per round table, open seating. When we all sat down, I looked around my table. Can you believe it? I shared a table with two of the best looking men on earth! On one side of the table was, of course, Fernando Colunga. On the other side, guess who? A second Fernando Colunga.
 

Ibarramedia, if we have to adjust beanies to think so few of them recognize Eduardo, then Martina isn't as far a stretch of the imagination, but she has been right in town all this time. Goes to show how unobservant some people who only gaze long into the mirror like Cadmilho can be. While Fernanda has been away a lot in Spain at school, she is more in tune with her surroundings than her ding head brothers.

Paula, I absolutely love your dream sequence. I am going to try that this very night...
 

I love your recaps Cheryl, especially when you throw in the vocabulary. You seem to pick up the exact words and phrases that I don't get. Thank you.

And I loved Lucero's genuine smile when she was watching Damian double-slam the car door. I think the actors are having fun with his little hissy-fits and know we are all anxiously awaiting the first phone-toss. Well, at least I am!

I am so happy to see Lili at home, but I don't understand if she is just pretending to be "out-of-it" in order to carry out Eduardo's plan, or if she is genuinely still loopy from the drugs. Marianne
 

Thank you Cheryl for the recap. You don't know how much you clarify my understanding of what I think people are talking about. (I'm still resistant to learning verb tenses.)

That was fulfililling when Dr.Obi walked into his own office and found Franco in his chair at his desk. Who's the patron now! hee hee hee.
 

It seems rather urgent to me that FrEd have a talk with Lili about his secret, Call me Franco because... And then get into What's your secret. It's been nice having Lili say troubling things like lets hide out at Edwardo's place. But there's draw backs to this situation.
 

Dorado Dave,
Don't you think la contacto is a female contact? I think Esteve was talking about Babs. I don't see that contact has anything but an masculine ending.
 

Paula H
Pls tell us what you ate last night to have that dream. I want that dream! The only thing that could make it better would be to see him in bed instead of the table & on both sides.
 

"la contacto" - "I contact her." Sounds okay to me. But I don't remember the context - maybe that doesn't make sense?

DD, I too thought Martina said something about contacting Franco Santoro. Hmm.

I am not so worried about Cadmilo and Anyballs recognizing Martina. I don't think they were looking at her face the last time.
 

LOL about that dream about the dinner table... if I were to have a telenovela-inspired dream about sitting at a table, it would be with just the Elizaldes, and we'd all be crowded on just one side of the table. And the meal would be frozen burritos, Bimbo bread, and Tang.
 

Thanks for the recap and vocabulary Cheryl. Your title really demonstrates what Fr/Ed and Barb must be felling as they both seem to have control issues.

ITA with Marianne regarding Lucero's smile in her scenes with Damien. She clearly enjoys her work. And her smiles are great b/c they are so devilish (not like her smiles as Hippolita).

ITA with you Julie. The boys weren't looking at Martina's face. I think it will be interesting when Lucio sees Martina in the hacienda. He may cause trouble but he get a beat down. Please, please let it be the latter.

It will be interesting to see what will transpire in 3 days. I hope someone doesn't die but I could be hoping against hope.
 

Re: my dream. I think it's funny that when my subconscious wanted to provide two of the best looking men possible, it provided FC and FC!
 

I'm hoping that Martina will only have to give Lucio a warning look and then he will blanch and slink away. (Because I would enjoy watching him slink away.) But I don't think he's smart enough to take the hint, so she'll probably have to smack him up.

For several weeks, Bar has been thinking that her victory is just days away. I think she's expecting that the Powhere Meelk deal will fall through within three days and then Grupo Lactos will be left in ruin and she'll be free, possibly without having to kill anyone at all (except maybe the padre). Now I'm wondering how her plan can possibly go wrong.
 

Once again, we have a baby (Aurora) supposedly found in a trash bin. I've seen this on a few other novelas.

I find it hard to believe that anything will be wrapped up in 3 days, but then I just remembered, three days on this show can take 3 weeks in our time.

I think the Mother Superior was the same actress who played Ricardo's aunt (Francesca?) in Pasion.

La contacto could also mean "I'll contact you" with contacto being a verb. Of course this would mean he was talking to a female person (la) and with the formal you. If Ed were talking to Steve, I think he would say te contacto in the familiar, or lo contacto in the formal. I think that's what Dorado Dave was saying.

And as for the product placement of that water, I just read an article about the President of Telemundo, who bragged that once when they wanted to get a Chevy Malibu onscreen, they created an entire character of someone who would buy one, and added him into the story (he was proud of this).
 

I don't think I've ever dreamed two of the same person. I'm not imaginative enough. :-) Most of my dreams end with me looking for a clean bathroom (after wandering around aimlessly in my old middle school for a long time trying to open my locker, find my class, and take a final exam).

So, was this FC as himself and himself, or as two different characters? Like Ricardo and Francuardo?
 

I just youtubed some more (between cold rain showers. I hope that it is spring somehwere!). I could not find the spot where Martina said anything about talking to Santoro. I did find the spot where Esteve said, " si pierdes 'la' contacto con...", so at least I heard that correctly. Just seems odd. Good, now the sky is lightening up, back outside...
 

Cheryl, thanks once again for a very informative recap.

Dam is smarter than I thought, he thinks that Gonzo is a imbecile. I don't think he cares all that much for Nanda, just another game. He and Barbie are out of the same cloth. I wonder how they found each other?

Poor Lili, it is going to take some time to get all of the drugs out of her system. How could she possibly know that Gonzo and Barbi were married? She was shipped off and kept drugged for 15 years. From what she said, I don't think she knows that Soledad is dead. She wanted to go to Eduardo and her Nana house.

I came across some interesting information recently that I will pass on for what it is worth. There is a famous architect in Mexico named Enrique Norten (yes, he is Mexican). He has designed buildings for Televisa and I think the building the Grupo Lactos is in is one of his - at least it looks like it. It is the one that you see Barbie enter. He also has offices in New York. Do you suppose that Esteve Norten is a nod to Enrique. The writers do like to play with us.

rsk
 

Thanks for the great recap, Cheryl! I’m with you, Caborita, regarding Damian’s facial expressions; I especially loved the mustache twitching!
 

OT:
Jardinera, I emailed Linda but didn't get any response. Does she have a web page?

Bonney
 

Thanks. Cheryl. Your vocabulario is very helpful. I kept thinking...what is finca?...and was going to look it up today. Now I know it is a counttry estate.

I love to see Damian's fits of anger, it's so entertaining to see him boil but I think Barb's offer of the easy life in the future (3 days) is keeping him around as well as that well placed hand on his thigh.. I think she is going to off him in the end. Anyway, it was fun, as someone mentioned, to watch his facial expressions as Lili was announcing Barb as La Hiena. GinCA
 

Ibarramedia

Martina didn't have big senos when she was young.
 

Yesterday in speaking class, we got into a conversation about weddings after Mariuxi from Ecuador gave a speech about ''The Best Day in Her Life.'' It was her wedding day, and she talked about having a civil wedding and later a church wedding. Her parents were also married on her wedding day in church because they had only had the civil ceremony back in the day. I don't have any students from Mexico, but the ones from Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, and Dominican Republic all said that their governments only recognized civil ceremonies, not church weddings. I'll bet it's the same in Mexico. This question came up during FELS . I'm still trying to find out why the Mexicans kiss their hands after making the sign of the cross. They seem to be the only Catholics who do that.
 

Susanlynn - I think you are referring to the following: They cross their thumb and index finger making a cross and that is what they are kissing.

Marriage - I am almost positive you must have a civil ceremony and if you want you can have a church ceremony. In the US you can have both automatically. You apply for the license and the priest and two witnesses sign the license after the ceremony. The license takes care of the civil part and the marriage ceremony is the sacrament in the Catholic Church. You can have the civil ceremony without the church part but not vice versa.

rsk
rsk
 

You can certainly have a church ceremony without a civil one. This is done when people want their union to be recognized by their church but not by their government (or if the government won't recognize their union).
 

How about a list of the best telenovela weddings? I'll start with - and you saw it here-
MEPS Fernando & Damian
Mariana de la Noche (Because of that magnificent tree.)
 

Weddings
Alborada - Diego's, because the un-bride could not take her eyes off the un-groom, and her husband noticed.
 

Novelas as Spanish study. Anon at 7:52, and Variopinta. Some people listen casually and it gradually seeps in. Others, like me, do more deliberate study. It's work, but it's much more fun and much more effective than classes.

Here's what worked for me.
1. Watch and tape the show at night.
2. Print out the recap the next morning.
3. Re-watch the episode with recap in hand. Read a scene in the recap, then watch the scene. Repeat for the next scene.
4. Write down words or phrases that you like. Keep a list, and try to incorporate some into your vocabulary (one of the favorites I added at that time: "Cuándo me vas a dejar en paz?").

My comprehension on the second viewing was VASTLY greater than in the first pass. Why? It was my second hearing, I had slept on it (I think that is important), and I knew what to expect because I had just read the scene in the recap.

When I started watching LFMB, I understood almost nothing. After two months of this study method, my comprehension had DOUBLED! I was clueless when I started, and 18 months later I was ready to be a recapper (I don't use captions to recap, except to go back and decipher specific items).

For me, watching without captions works best. Others report the opposite. You may want to watch w/o, but turn them on to replay and decipher something you really care about, or to write down a vocabulary item.

After my Spanish improved, sometimes I would transcribe a favorite scene verbatim, in either English or Spanish. It challenged my limits and forced me to focus on grammar items like tenses and pronouns. Again, it's work, but much more fun than writing a report in Spanish for class.

Animo!
 

THANKS to all for your tips on learning to hear Spanish. I have been stuck at my present level for way too long.

I forgot Lucio would recognize Martina too. Let's hope the knife is for him !!

Anon 7:52
 

Going back to the question about why Fernanda didn't recognize Martina, no one recognized her, not even Margarita when she first opened the door to her. There seem to be a number of reasons for this. Margarita's dad was thrown off the hacienda (went to the town) and his services weren't used anymore by the Elizaldes soon after Babs took power. They explained that this is why he has been living in such poverty. It seems that people on the hacienda don't go into the town that much, and certainly when they were all children, they weren't leaving the hacienda and country-side that much to head to the town. They didn't even go into town to catch that bus that took Eddy away; just waited for it by the side of the road near the hacienda.
The Elizalde boys were unlikely to head into that dinky town for their entertainment when they felt like leaving the hacienda. They likely went to the nearest big city or the DF. Ed didn't recognize Martina either when he first saw her. It was Jacinto that pointed out who she was. Jacinto, being a man (and not a rich one) is most likely to go to town, and also to frequent the establishment Martina ends up working in (remember when Margarita went to find him that one time, it was a big deal for her to even enter the bar). Martina was also younger than the rest of the children (she was really little in that scene when Ed gets the locket made by her dad).
I'd also give Nanda a break about some of these things. She's been away from home almost as much as Ed has. She was shipped off to Spain not long after Ed was sent to his school and her mom died, and vacations with Babs in the house probably did not leave much time to try to find out what all the old kids in the neighborhood were up to.

-Vivi in DC
 

I meant Martina's dad, not Margarita's dad. oops!

-Vivi in DC
 

Thanks for that recap, Cheryl. Our hero (or not, as you prefer) is walking a dangerous line between triumph and disaster. Interesting to see if he can drive his team without putting it in the ditch.

Damian definitely provided some good twitching last night. Fun to see him squashed down from his usual dominance, like a rumbling volcano about to explode. (Sorry, I sound like Bruno on Dancing with the Stars.)

I also wonder if Martina won't be recognized, but maybe she'll luck out due to the uniform, the concealed knife, and the kickass nurse shoes.

Vlad reminds me of our late cat, Bud. Really sweet, but sorta dumb.
La Paloma
 

Another great informative and funny recap, Cheryl. I'm looking forward to Bab's and Eddie's luncheon(dinner?) date. Gato y raton, but which is which? Carlos
 

Julie - I was referring to the Catholic Church and Marriage. I know that you can have your union blessed, etc.

rsk
 

Carlos Babs and Freduardo as cat and mouse ...good analogy. I think Fr/ed will turn out to be the cat and Babs will be Minnie Mouse. It's hard to guess what will happen next. I was surprised when Lili came home [sweet home...NOT]. Why does Babs hate Artie so much ? Is it just because she's wasted the last 15 years of his life doing his bidding...killing Montsy, putting Lili in the asylum, terrorizing Soledad, marrying an old guy she detests, and doing the bunny hop with someone she belittles and patronizes . Or is there something more in the past that makes her despise Artie. If Babs is Aurora's mama , could Artie be her dad ? Just trying to understand this whole hot mess.
 

Couldn't wait to read and then got side tracked. Just got through all of the comments, so much to think about.

Maybe the Damian/Babs thing will be more Postman Always Rings Twice where he is left holding the bag and she fakes her own death and ends up on a beach with a hot cabana boy.

I think if would be interesting if Lili called Franco Ed and fixated on him. He could be nice and endulgant and play along and it would give him reason to be around. I also love him with Gardenia, she is crazy and makes him crazy but he also enjoys her. He gets such a nice real smile when he is dealing with her. I love her!

PaulaH, to funny! I had a dream that I ran into FC and Lucero at a mall where no one had a clue who they were and they were trying to do a promo thing and I got to monopolize all their time!
 

Regarding the marriage ceremonies: in Mexico only the civil ceremony is recognized since they believe in separation of church and state. The ceremonies are usually held several days apart.

MEPS in AZ
 

I completely forgot that Camilho and Anyballs were drooling over Martina at Franco's finca only a few days ago! But I still maintain that they are too foggy brained and self-absorbed to recognize her. And I loved that switchblade in the bra moment too. Hope she can knock Lucio or someone for a loop but I don't want to see blood so maybe she can just threaten these cowards by waving in front of their snooty noses.
 

I'm with you, Molly- Eddy always smile'Denia on the phone, and 'Denia said at Gardenia, she is so bubbly/childlike with him. She is a pain, but he remembers her as a close childhood friend, and likes having her around. (What guy with red blood cells wouldn't?) She always makes me smile, 'cause she's so sexy and fun, saying goofy little rhymy things. Last nite when Flor asked if it was really Denia, and she answers with something like, "Si, la merita pajarita". I love her, too. I hope that she is able to join the club soon.
 

another Gardenia-ism- she always calls Eddy "Don Santorito" How many new employees would tag their new patron with a mix of respect and a diminutive?, and get away with it?
 

Thanks for the recap Cheryl. Yes, it looks like both Barb and Ed may need to firm up their plans. Not everyone is following along.
So 3 more days for Damian, so what would that be, about 4 weeks? :-)
I would mainly be worried about Lucio seeing Martina. That would cause some trouble, hopefully Martina can handle it. I would agree that Cad and Anyb may not recognize her, but then, Cad may not miss too much with women. :-)
Right now, I like Santiago a lot better than either Meester James (DA) or Raul (Tontas).
It's a good thing Lili didn't start to think of Ed as Franco, if she would have called him Franco, may have blown the whole thing.
I can't get after either Margarita or Denia for getting after Jacinto before or Margarita after Ed now. Too much was being hidden and they were not looking that good. Hey, we were all yelling at Ed for pulling the death trip on Nanda, so can't blame Margarita one bit. But, in usual Eduardo fashion, he was easily able to settle her down and get her to see things from a different side.
JeffMN
 

Oh, in case anyone is interested, I may tune in, Mujeres Asesinas is on after MEPS tonight. Not really sure what it is all about. Looks like it is replacing La Rosa de Guadelupe on Thursday nights. I see Rosa is on again tomorrow night. It is usually on Thur and Fri after MEPS.
JeffMN
 

Dave, I vote Gardenia best to take clubbing. Not that I do that a whole lot anymore...but I would totally hang out with her.

JeffMN, I'm not so sure he will have the same luck calming Nanda once it all hits the fan.

I appreciate he is so focused on Lili. I know he wants info, but he also seems to genuinely want to protect her too.
 

Another great recap by my favorite recapper Cheryl. all are very good too.

Susanlynn and rsk about the sign of the cross thing. Mexicans cross their thumb and index finger making a cross and kiss it. Filipinos just kiss their thumb. Americans and other westerners just put their hands together.

Why the Mexican style and Filipino style is similar but not exactly the same is beyond me. But I see them do that in church.

Vivi in DC, you have the mpost logical explanation about why no one recognized Martina and I will buy into it. Looks like you and Hombre de misterio are my neighbors....

Variopinta, I'm glad that Anibal and Camilo were not perverted enough when they were younger to worry about Martina's chest size when they were kids.


Ibarramedia
 

Molly, I would definitely bring Gardenia,Errika,Martina and Venus Clubbing. They look like they can party. I used to be in a DJ crew back in the day.

Ibarramedia
 

I am really touched by your kind words, Ibarramedia. That is the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a long time. I am always aiming to please as well as deliver a cogent, fun recap. I know all the recappers put so much effort into this activity and all for love and community with you awesome bloggers.

I have a life long fascination with words in what ever language and it is obvious that so many of the CarayCaray citizens share that passion. I am delighted to hear the many methods people use to practice and absorb more Spanish. Paula, like you, I was spending many more hours on telenovelas and in classes in the beginning. I don't write as many words down now but I still like to sit in front of the TV with my computer and look up words on the dictionary.reverso.net site. But I can still remember that when I was not very accomplished when Alborada was on, I would lose the thread of the conversation so easily so I too would watch a tape two or three times, look up words, write them down and watch again. What a fun life we have with this great community, the kingdom of CarayCaray.
 

Another thing I was thinking last night, I don't think there is any need for Damian to toss a phone. He has been doing a great job tossing everything else! Great job with the suitcases!
JeffMN
 

Cheryl, pls tell me what you like about dictionary.reverso.net . I use Word Reference, but I'm always open to new resources. And you know I'm a big-time word fan like you.
 

Cheryl and Paula, dictionary.reverso.net and Word Reference both look pretty good. Thanks for the pointers.
On another point. WOW! Tonight's episode was really good!!
Now time to see what this Mujeres Asesinas is all about.
JeffMN
 

I like Reverso because of its numerous pages where you can get translation of a short paragraph, or detailed definition with all word forms and idiomatic phrases using the word, then another page with complete conjugations of words, and other services. I do not pay for it and one disadvantage is that it will block you out if you try to look up more than about 20 words in one session. The other thing great about it is that it has seven or eight other languages you can search. I have seen some web reviews that the translation page tends to be one of the most accurate. Collins Dictionary puts it out.

I will give Word Reference a try and we can all talk further.

Jeff, I am curious and more than a little amused that the Virgin's stories are being supplanted in part by Killer Women stories... I am sure it will be riveting
 

Wow, Paula, Word Reference is really fabulous. I will add it to my bookmarks bar.
 

Cheryl, so reverso will block you out after try too many times. I'll have to keep that in mind. I have used the Google language tools in the past. They will translate a web page for you. I've done that in the past with the Esmas Capitulos. They'll give some pretty funny translations, especially with pronouns.

I hadn't thought about killer woman replacing the Virgin, that is a somewhat interesting choice. I haven't watched Rosa de Guadalupe, but the previews of that are not all goodness and nice. I don't know about next week, but this week one is on Thur and the other on Fri.

Watching it now and whoa, the first Mujer is one muy mal Mujer. Not sure if she will kill this other women, but nasty torture, bloody, nasty. The bad one is Leticia Calderon, I haven't seen her before. According to Wikipedia, this is her first evil role. She is the wife of Juan Soler! He is a two timer and she is working over the nurse (Juan is a Dr) that he has been seeing. I guess she, Marcela the nurse, didn't know he was married. Besides Juan Soler, also seen Lluvia (Destilando) and the woman that was after Aldo late in LFMB.
I would not recommend this show unless you have a strong stomach. This may be the only episode I see. I'm not sure I want to see Soledad (MEPS) or Mariana (de la Noche) be as bad as this one.
Whoa, not for the weak. Whoa.
JeffMN
 

Well, in Mujeres Asesinas, she did live up to the title and do the poor woman in. Bad stuff. Dark and gruesome show.
JeffMN
 

Oh no, oh no. this is way to violent. I just watched the first episode and could not believe the level of violence, bloodletting and viciousness. Was there supposed to be a lesson or glint of light here? I don't see it. After watching friends deal with a real murder suicide nightmare this month, I have no reserve left for gratuitous ugliness and murder. Ick.
 

Agreed Cheryl. Very sorry for even mentioning the show earlier. From reading Google translation of Wiki page, apparently the women that do the killing were also previously victims.

But... Great MEPS tonight! Can't wait to see the recap.

JeffMN
 

I was curious and wanted to see it because of the long list of truly outstanding actors they plan to run through this bloody show. I had no idea it would be so extreme. I wonder how it is going down in Mexico. I find the fact that the stories are based on fact is not a good enough reason to horrify us for 60 minutes.

I am trying to cheer myself up by watching the news as they are unraveling the waterboarding nightmare or scandal. Sheesh.
 

Cheryl, what I like about Word Reference is:
A. Usage examples for most definitions of a single word. e.g. for "dejar" there is:
- dejar un recado - to leave a message;
- déjalo entrar - let him in;
- dejar de fumar - to give up smoking;
and many others. Look up "dejar" as a perfect example of the usefulness of Word Reference.

B. Listings from two different dictionaries.

C. The common idioms that use the word, such as "no pegar ojo, not to sleep a wink." You cannot search by a phrase, but often the phrase you want can be found by the key word in a phrase.

D. The forum discussions are a goldmine! For example, in the "entender" entry, it gives you links to three different forum discussions about comprender vs. entender. If you have a question about the finer points of usage, odds are good that someone has discussed it on the forum.

E. All the usual. Conjugations, suggestions of other spellings if it can't find your word, etc, regional differences, etc.
 

Cheryl, that is what I was interested in as well, quite a list of actors. Gardenia is going to show up in one of them, probably as a victim. Ugh. Looking at the wikipedia page, it looks like perhaps they have another set starting up? These came out in Mexico last year.

How bad was this Mujer? She could make Feonando, Gabriela, Bouffy, and Barbi look like rank amateurs, make them look almost saintly! She would do just like our Barbi and not bat an eye.

JeffMN
 

Cheryl, If dictionary.reverso kicks you out after a block or sometime, Try closing that window and opening a new one or try cleaning your cache and browsing history.

I was just going to ask if Mexico has nothing but telenovelas. Looks like this answered my question. they have weekly series as well. I'm not sure if they have indefinite series like here. Looks like Mujeres Asesinas is a limited series.

That poor girl, the victim Marcela is played by Grettel Valdez who was Carlota Santo Domingo in Lola:Erase una vez.

So every week, there is a new case here. Must be true to life stories....


Ibarramedia
 

Jeff, I don't think anyone can be more evil than Fernando Escandon.


Ibarramedia
 

Ibarramedia, thanks for the suggestion on Reverso. I think I will try to clear the cache of viewing history since opening a new window doesn't work. I did try to switch to my other computer and that does work but then I was stuck on my imac on a desk in stead of wandering around with the powerbook. I don't have TV in the office so it is of little help if I am trying to hustle through a translation while the program is on.
 

Ibarramedia, don't forget that nobody is smarter than Fernando Escandon either!
 

Ibarramedia, Ah, Marcela was from Lola, she did look familiar, but couldn't place her.
Yes, there is evil and there is evil. You are correct, the ones I mentioned are definitely more overall evil. They'll do stuff to a lot of people. She was more specific in her nastiness, limited to one person. Not quite sure if Feo could have gone to such torture extremes as she did, but he would probably like to try.
JeffMN
 

DDave, I can't understand the meaning of that phrase: "Si, la merita pajarita". I used the translation dictionary being discussed. I didn't find it an easy resource by the way.

I also watched Asesinas and didn't expect the focus to be on the killing. Too graphic for me. Finding the house after the deed was done was too dissappointing; I don't do reality based shows. Was looking forward to seeing the big named stars but I need more telenovela fairy tale in my entertainment.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder