Thursday, April 02, 2009

MEPS, Wed, April 1 - (Capitulo #32) - Nominations Are Being Accepted to Name The Biggest Fool

Buenas Noches y Feliz Dia de Tontos

Errika grins through her bruises at Franco, You wanted a horse and now you have one. And now your part of the bargain is to go to the Elizaldes tonight. A deal is a deal. He smiles, If this will let you get even (desquitarte de) Camilo, you can count on me.
Fernanda speculates how Eduardo is playing games having arrived yesterday but she hasn't seen him yet.
Speaking of playing, we switch to the stud on a stud showing us how to dance. [surely one of my favorite games] Errika sits on the grass bank enjoying the view with us. She rushes forward to grab a kiss saying she is just practicing (ensayando) for tonight, she is thrilled to add, so you will come by for me at 8pm?

Jacinto grabs his trusty bike, wait, yells Gardenia. He tells her to hurry up he has to get going. She says if this Franco has offered me work can I go with you. You and Margarita are the people I love most. I don't know if I want to live so far from you [like 5 minutes on a bike?] They ride together on his bike, he tells her to hold on tight so you won't get thrown off (veras azotas)

Ciro smiles down from his window at Liliana in the garden then he carries water a water jug to the desk, moves big pieces of aluminum foil from the bed springs, folds them into wads puts them into the water jug to make them float with his physics book nearby. What is this he is making? I'm not sure either.

The maid from the hacienda ask Margarita where Jacinto is, Fernanda wants to see him they are all waiting for this so and so (Fulano) to appear. Margarita says, Jacinto is gone until later then she decides to go to the hacienda to check on what Fernanda wants.

Dr. Friesminds continues beguiling Liliana by the fountan, we live in this hell the two of us, We have the fear the same person. We are both prisoners (presos), let's talk heart to heart. Finally are you going to tell me what I have been asking? Lili shakes her head yes. See it is easy to tell me all you told your sister. Then I will forget about the electric shocks. Liliana starts in a shaky voice, I told her that Barbara is a hyena because she is an animal that laughs while she kills. The employees at the hacienda all call her that. The white pawn will advance, her coronation is near. Dr. F, wheedles, you are trying my patience . Sshortly after, he is talking to Barbara who seems to enjoy telling her what Lili said about the Hyena. Tell me something I don't already know, she snaps. Dox tells her Lili is reluctant (renuente) to speak. Barbara gets to repeat, then roast her brain

Jacinto presents his sister-in-law (suegra) to Franco, Gardenia Campillo is at your service, she gushes (I would too) Jacinto finishes the introduction but she hesitates, I feel like I have known you before. Both men look alarmed but smooth as velvet, Franco smiles enigmatically.

Gardenia counters Ed saying you look like someone I have seen before too. How curious, says Franco to Jacinto's surprise. Gardenia fills in with her own explanation, it seems that the because of TV we have about 7 people that looks like us. Franco even more brazen adds, I have seen you somewhere. She insists, but I have never left this village. The Franco proposes, the first who discovers where they have seen the other has to buy tacos. Miss Spunky counters, with drinks and everything? It's a deal (trato hecho). As we go to break the black stallion is snaking the white mare. How beautiful to watch.

Wait here Margarita, while I advise Miss, I mean Mrs. Fernanda that you are here, says the maid going up stairs. BOW walks out of her office and accosts Margarita, what are you looking for here? Fernanda. You don't need to act so haughty (altanera) with me. Gardenai is not working here, But Jacinto still works here and if Fernanda wants me I am going to come to her.

Just as Barbara grabs Margarita's arm and is marching her out the door, Fernanda descends the stairs asking Barbara, Why are you running Margarita off? Why do you want to see her? We see Fernanda look more open eyed at Barbara than before wondering why this inquisition about her private affairs.

Gardenia is panting but a bit frightened, what is it you want me to do? Be my personal assistant. she stands up this isn't right. He smoothly adds, It's nothing hard. You will answer the phones, buy things for the house, and guard my back. What to you mean? Franco, says you are to be my eyes when I can't see and my ears when I can't hear. Jacinto gave you the best reference as the person most trustworthy after Margarita, do you know her? Well sure she is my sister. He then gives her one condition, if you take what I offer you, you can not go near the Elizalde's hacienda. You (or they) would ring my neck (retorcer pescuezo) she smiles. And he adds sternly, never, never ask questions. Are you prepared to (dispuesta) carry out (cumplir) this condition? She is so blown away by the generous salary she bobbles her pretty curls enthusiastically.

Barb is running interference, why did you call Margarita , to ask her if she sent the flowers. Nanda says she doesn't believe it was Margarita. Barbara sheds three crocodile tears and says it ruined all my plans to give you the wedding reception of your dreams.

Gardenia promises to keep quiet, my lips will be sealed (pico de cera). yes she can't believe her luck, and I can't believe she can really be quiet . You can start today, go get your things so you can move in. He has to tell her to pull the door in.

Ed says to Jacinto, I have a date to go to the Elizaldes, I will see Fernanda today.

Margarita assures Fernanda we are not the kind of people who would enjoy doing hurtful things. We care for you and respect you. Nanda say, I know Margarita says, but Barbara thinks it was us. Yes I know that it wasnt' you and I know who it was.

Priscila is trying to get performance out of Anibal. He has to work, he has the apology cena and another mouth full of excuses. She says we have our business to conclude it is the best day of the month. It is important that we make love today. We can copulate to continue the species. She even evokes the priest's summons to procreate. They argue about when he will return and how she doesn't want to be kept awake too late. Her final salvo, If you don't comply, I will give my family all the information they need to bring an end your good name.

Fernanda expresses her anguish to Margarita, Eduardo didn't even come to his Mother's funeral. She is sure it is he who sent the flowers. Margarita tries to say gently, but he lives in the US Fernanda, counters with a telephone call and a credit card, it could be done from there. Then she adds, The Song played by the orchestra to start the dance, only Eduardo could have asked for it. She remembers the private song and the wedding dance ruined. Yeah, some one could have colluded with Eduard. Margarita says, but he loved you and Sr. Gonzo. I know but he has changed so much He is the only one that could have done it and I know he is the only one that could have moved his mother out of the cemetery. Break

When we went to the cemetery to exhume Soledad's remains to move her to the family mausoleum, the grave was empty. This is too much for the tender Margarita.

Jacinto asks about the magnificent horse.You will win all the shows (ferias) Eduardo says, this is to impress the Elizaldes and to invoke envy in Camilo . But this horse cost you millions. No this horse is loaned. But how are you going to use him? By getting the best trainer in the valley and when you have trained him his price will double. I am going to present the Elizaldes with my future novia. WHO? Erika Astorga, the ex novia of the disgraceful Camilho.

Speaking of the disgraced one, the sleeping Caml gets a rude call from big brother. We need your presence immediately at the company . the meeting is extraordinary and you must be here immediately.

Nanda pleads with Margarita, you will be the first to know when Eduardo comes and promise when he comes that you and Jacinto will advise me immediately . I thought he was he best man in the world and now he is the most perverse.

Vlad finally finds the envelope with the lab results addressed to Anibal Elizalde Rivera.

At home Pris is adjusting her earring and sees the call coming in from Vladimir but she doesn't need his stuff now. [Mark this event, it will be a big mistake on Prisci's part.]

Gardenia swoons, you can't imagine how beautiful the Las Animas is inside. She is even more excited about the big salary and I can't appear at the hacienda. Margarita keeps sweeping and asks Gardenia what her answer was. I won't go even if they wring my neck.

How does Jacinto know this gentleman? Margarita tries to calm her flighty sister, Your problem is that you want to know everything and meddle in everything. Not to be dampened, Gardenia jumps to the next thing, I feel like I have seen my new boss somewhere. Can I give you advice? . Dedicate yourself to your work and don't ask so much. Gardenia says she won't be loose lipped (boqui floja) We have a bet about tacos and I am going to win. [Why aren't we convinced that Gardenia will be circumspect or even knows the concept of tact.]

Damian the doomed arrives home at the hacienda. greets his Peque, I am here! Why didn't you tell me you were coming today? I had to see my brand new (flamante) wife. and I talked to Anibal earlier, didn't he tell you? No, Well, how did it go. Anibal wants me in the office, but first I had to come to the hacienda, I missed you so much. Something went wrong? I have to go in to the office now. She immediately agrees, I will go with you.

Gonzo is asking Anibal why Nanda wasn't told that Damian was arriving. I thought it was important that he come here to report and besides he has time to be bored later. Barbara says, you don't need to condemn your sister to the same unhappiness that you live in.

Camilo bumbles in irritated, haven't you started yet? Okay brother why was it important that I get here so early . Anibal explains, I don't 'have a crystal ball to see when Damhim's airplane will land.

Cami what can I do that we couldn't have done over the phone. Gonzo, in a non-sequiter to his useless son, Have respect for BOWbara, She says it is a fact (hecho) that we are having the supper (cena) tonight to apologize to Errika. It isn't important. Can't I end things with her. You should be burning with shame for how you did it, but Gonzo says, you will apologize to her in front of the entire family . Pow, Cami suddenly decides it is a good idea and he Will be very punctual. Barbara smiles her special gottcha sucker smile when Gonzo lays into his boys on her behalf.

Back at teh Factor Prexoa lab, Pris asks, Are you sure that with this blood test you can tell me if I am pregnant or not in less than 24 hours? The nurse says, you can find out tomorrow morning. No, i need to know now! Well, it will cost more. Okay says Pris who can't wait any longer.

Back at the horse arena, Margarita says Eduardo is accused of sending the flowers. Ed admits it with a shrug, Why did you do that and is it true that it was you who snatched your Mother's remains out of her grave? Jacinto happy with the horse, bithely brags, he turns like Tlaconete. He does everything but talk.

Eduardo says finally to Margarita, you don't know the bad things they did to my mother and others and it is time to put the brakes (freno) on this evil.

Margarita is too troubled, this is a macabre thing and you can't count on me any more. She stomps off.

Prisc gets her test and heads down the hall to the lab.

Nanda and Damian the damned come in, BOW want to know if Ed has called. Nanda reports that, she knows he is in the country and coming to the village today. Anibal does his premature conjecturing what happened on Dam's trip.

BAR tries seem as if all her efforts are to clear up the meeting so Damian and Nanda can enjoy their honeymoon. YEA we all know who is going to enjoy that little moment. Break

Anibal reads the letter saying he will have to translatie directly from the English. (faster than I can for sure)
How did it go. no answer from the water guzzling Damian. break

Finally with everyone's nails digging into the table, Damian is silent, they gave me this letter to give to you. This was a disappointing (delsalentador) encounter revealing the bad situation economically Franco had made a good presentation about Lactos but now we have seen the updated (actualizada) information We can not formalize (concretizar) the deal with Grupo Lactos at this time , signed Steve Norton.
Steve's Letter No can do

Ed talks to Jacinot about Lili the only one whe has recognized him and she is in the asylum and in grave danger. Well she is crazy no she isn't We have to get he out of there and she kows How can I talks Marg in to helpsin so we can get Lili out of there.

Ciro gets locked in his room by the attendant taking his food tray and he knows Liliana is in danger.

Back to Dr. FryBrains, you are a very crafty (mañoso) patient. I know you are not crazy. You have just been drugged for years and are perhaps dulled (embotado) . The crazy one is Barbara. Liliana pleads for him to let her go. You have no chance (no tener a pelo) . You and I are both trapped in this asylum . He takes out his big syringe, You choose, I give you this to relax and loosen your tongue or ... Lili avoids him, hits the syringe out of his hand and he yells she is trying his patience. She yells even louder, help me Ciro, help me . They struggle and she has strength he yells for help and the guards come in to rescue the doctor. He orders them to carry her to the electric shock room.

Next Barbara assures Damian with kisses and caresses, someone who has been so faithful to me will take possession of all the benefits/riches of the Elizaldes and for our triumph we will celebrate in a paradise.

CamilHo hits on Aurora asking her why does she see anything in Santi. . Damian want to escape asking when will all this end? but apparently Lili really does try to escape. Eduardo shows up at asylum to find out from nurse that Lili has fled. Run Lili, Run!!




VOCABULARY _ VOCABULARIO, LÉXICO:

Desquitarse - To get even, to obtain satisfaction

Ensayando - Rehearsing or practicing

Fulano - So and so or some guy

Fulano, zutano y mengano - Tom, Dick and Harry

Preso/a - Prisoner

Renuente - Reluctant, unwilling

Cuñada - Sister-in law; Suegra - Mother-in-law (sorry I was tired when I did this, Cuñada was what Jacinto said)

Trato hecho - It's a deal

Altanero/a - Haughty, high flying, uppity

Retorcer pescuezo - Wring one's neck

Dispuesta a cumplir - able to carry out this condition

Pico de cera - Lips are sealed

Feria - Show or fair

Boqui Floja - Loose lipped, gossipy

Flamante - Brand new

Freno - Brake

Desalentador - Disappointing

Actualizada - Updated or current

Concretizar - Formalize

Desagravio - Apology or making amends

Imprescendible - Essential, indispensible

Travesía - Voyage, crossing, the road that crosses through a village

Mañoso - Crafty, sly, clever

Embotado - Dulled, blunt

Tener a pelo - Have a chance

Labels:


Comments:
Wow...wonderful vocabulary Cheryl, and that falling off the bicycle term is sure one I've never seen before... thanks.

And my favorite nickname.... Dr. Friesminds. Perfect. If you pronounce it in a German way it really sounds impressive!

Haven't seen the episode yet but after trying it both ways, I find I like reading the recap and some of the comments before viewing. Shows me what to look for (wandering unstable mind, hmmm) and I enjoy the scenes even more after getting others' take on them.

Carlos: Big game tonight. I'll be switching to ESPN during the frequent commercial breaks on Tontas. May the best team win!
 

Cheryl, N.M.,Thank you for your recap and for taking the time to include vocabulary. I look forward to it.

One thing: I think "suegra" is actually mother-in-law (suegro would be father-in-law). Sister-in-law would be cuñada (brother-in-law is cuñado).
 

I thought preno was brake?

So now Eduardo/Franco has the first girl moving in as Gardenia. Can Liliana be next? The title for the next episode should be ESCAPO!!


Ibarramedia
 

Thank you so very much, Cheryl. I just love the vocabulary! Ahhh. I think Margarita has been touched by Nanda's hurt and plaintive plea to be advised when Eduardo returns. Margarita knows how much Nanda loved Nana and this speaks more clearly to her heart and conscience than this vague crazy game of venganza that Eduardo is playing. Not only is she back to scowling, I'm sure she'll out Ed one day.

Loved the comic scene of Jacinto behind Gardenia signaling to Franco ESTAS LOCO?! Smart though, keep Miss Loose Lips close to him but he still may not be able to contain her.

I don't know why but Damian's trying to guzzle his whole bottle of water in one gulp when asked what happened in New York made me laugh out loud!

And yes, Cheryl, not taking Vlad the Impale-her's call will come back to bite her in the butt, big time!

And somebody nailed it in a post last week about Ed seeking to make the Cad jealous and rescuing Jacinto by hiring him as horse trainer! Right on!

And I hope Lili doesn't get returned to the looney bin cause they will surely roast her brains! I'm afraid they are really going to wrench our guts with this storyline! Again, muchisimas gracias Cheryl. I might even have the nerve to speak Spanish after these recap and vocab lessons!

Khalilah
 

It's so wonderful to have the captions back! I was enthralled last night. Pris is going to be in double trouble because it appears she is NOT going to be able to get her husband to do the deed, so if she's pregnant... I am angry with Fr/Ed as he continues to use everybody around him for his macabre ends... Love the horse... Margarita and Jacinto are taking it on their backs, this strange situation... Thanks for the recap!
 

Cheryl: Thanks a million! You captured a couple of idioms that I couldn't find anywhere, too. Mucho gracias. "Dr. FriesBrains"?? Ack!Ack! Ack-ak-ak! LOL!

"Saleroso" does everything but talk??? I don't even want to go there, not after 10 1/2 months of FELS. At least they ditched to fem cap and braid for the poor guy. Hope they eventually get a decent looking bridle worthy of a white-knight's steed, but I guess fringe is all the rage on the set this time.

Methinks Eduardo is skating on thin ice having Denia around. Margarita is going to be a real pain to control also. Notice he didn't even bother to ask her to reconsider? Maybe he loves living on the edge this way. Tight-rope City...er..Pueblo here.
 

Nice vocabulary Cheryl. Thanks for the recap. Too bad Lili couldn't have grabbed the syringe and stabbed Dr. Friesminds with it. He is such a creepy little worm. I can't wait for the dinner scene. Hopefully tonight.

I think it should be a TN rule that handsome men who ride horses must do so with no shirt and then take a long hot steamy shower. Beautiful horse, but no Capricho!
 

Cheryl, thanks so much for the great recap and word list, you are a treasure.

I loved the stud on the stud and Ed didn't need any help mounting as Damien did. The studs are a joy to watch.

I think the horse is a Lipizzan or definitely a Andalusian. Every year the Lipizzans come to Houston for a horse show so I recognized them immediately and they are from Spain. All of you history buffs out there need to read about them. Gen. Patton rescued the breed during WWII and saved them from extinction.

Ed needs to save Aurora from Cad! Cad is the one that needs a brain adjustment!

Run Lil run.

rsk
 

Thus far, Fr/Ed is a flawed hero. In other novelas I've seen, the hero makes a distinction between seeking "justicia", holding someone accountable for their misdeeds and "venganza", paying them back for what they did. Fr/Ed is going for the payback, using "whatever means necessary" and that includes people. I believe he genuinely feels for Lil's situation, but also has a vested interest in her as he senses that she holds the key to the Elizade mystery.

Anyone else think, the look he gave Erika after she kissed him was quite interesting? It was like "hmmmmm".

I liked your recap, Cheryl, as always.

J.J.
 

I just want to add my thanks, both for the great recap AND for the vocabulary. I'm trying to improve my Spanish, and I found many of the vocabulary words and phrases you provided VERY helpful!

(And yes, Anonymous is right--suegra is mother-in-law; cuñada is sister-in-law.)
 

Thanks for the recap and the vocabulary, Cheryl. A couple of notes:

I couldn't help but laugh at all of the charade-type antics of Jacinto when he was behind Gardenia. First questioning Ed, then agreeing with him, etc.

Also, I think Ed my have been surprised not so much that Erika kissed him on the mouth - but that he may have LIKED it...

I seem to recall that Anibal and Pris DID make love last week - so that should establish him as the father of Pris's baby - at least within his mind and her argument.

The look between Fernanda and Margarita after Babs walked out after explaining why she was so interested in running off Margarita - was priceless. It seemed to indicate that Fernanda is surely picking up on something wrong with Bab's behavior.

I wonder if the old blacksmith - the mud wrestler's dad - could shoe Franco's new horse with Mexican shoes (those old Spanish shoes must surely hurt!! ) and maybe that's how that storyline gets tied into the main storyline. So far, the mud wrester storyline doesn't tie into the novela's main plot anywhere.
 

Hi all! Cheryl, I haven't read your wonderful recap yet and I haven't had a chance to watch the show... Whoa! what just happened? I was suddenly channeling a petite pretty grandmother and wanting to cuddle with Jaime Camil and then go for a jog.

A great recap Cheryl. This show offers up so many gifts to it"s recappers and we lurking commenters. I'm going to leave Ciro's foil stash to you beanie liners(I prefer unprotected viewing) to comment on.

I just have one question for you guys:

Why is the best horse trainer in the valley riding a bicycle?

Finally, let's get Pris involved with freeing Lil. She's a woman of action.

Carlos
 

When I was watching the outside scene at the looney bin all I could think of was that the people wandering aimlessly around reminded me of Resident Evil or Dawn of the Dead (except with no blood or gore.) I was cracking up.
 

Silverfox, I think that Martina the mud wrestler will somehow help with Lil as the make believe nurse. Just a thought.

I also remember that Soledad told Ed that Lil had the terrible secret which is why he went to visit her the first time.

I am willing to bet that all of the senior citizens in this village have pieces of the puzzle that will eventually solve the "terrible secret".

rsk

rsk
 

Thanks for the wonderful recap and vocabulary Cheryl. It looks like Lili is going to make an escape. Hard to say if it will be tonight or not. Things move slow, that is, takes a few shows to get through one day. The wedding took a few days and they still have not had the dinner where Erika brings along Fr/Ed. :-)
When Ciro started pulling out that aluminum foil, I thought he was going to start making some FELS beanies for everyone. ;-)
Hmmm, maybe that is a hint we'll have get our beanies on for the next few episodes.
JeffMN
 

Hi Cheryl, thank you for the great recap and fantastic vocab list. You had some super words and phrases. My favorite was Tom, Dick and Harry. You got an action-filled episode this time. Never a dull moment and a lot of talking.

I think when Jacinto was bragging about the horse he said that Camilo would writhe like a Tlaconete (Salamander) out of pure envy. This is something I can't wait to see. I find myself quite looking forward to the next (and any) Elizalde gathering, especially with the Cad writhing out of envy and also because he has to apologize, bwahahaha.
 

Fantastic recap, comadre Cheryl! I really appreciate the vocabulary. Seeing it in a list, helps me memorize it faster.

Ed isn't doing a good job at selling his little game. Maybe he's a little too confident that everything will work to his benefit.

Prissy may have been better off with an anonymous sperm donor. Vlad isn't going to like her tossing him aside so quickly and flippantly.

Jacinto continues to entertain. But, I don't want to see him fighting with Marguerita again.

Run Lili run...
jb
 

Eddie must be channeling Antonio Aguilar in the Mexican tradition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfanI3MHE3c#1m45s"

He just needs to start singing.

Run like a coñejito Lil!

Carlos
 

Thanks, Cheryl, for the recap, and especially the vocab. There are always a couple things that are new to me, and having you clear them up w/o my having to look them up is very helpful. I'm going to start a list of them.
I think that Eddy took Gardenia in to his employ to keep better control of her, (as well as take care of the household duties). She is such a flighty (and hot!) thing thatit's much better to keep her at Las Animas, sworn to stay away from los Elizaldes, and to secrecy that to leave a loose cannon like her rolling around on the deck.

eddy has gone way overboard in his planb already, and lost one of the crew. Asking way too much of Marg, who knows Fernanda as a very good preson, and that she has, and still carries a torch for our Eddy, and that she refuses to go along with it speaks to her own character. Jacinto is going to feel pressure from Marg to quit this plot of revenge now, too. Where is Marg's loyalty- to her life-log friend Fernanda, or to this new, vengeful Eddy? Someone mentioned the revenge/justice dichotomy earlier, as did the padre to Eddy. What he has already done is so cruel and misdirected, he has been told that many times, and he's only digging himself in deeper. I'm just wondering how the writers are going to resolve this.

Lili is in deep kimchee now, I think that Freirmente is serious now- why didn't she come up with a plausible story for the shrink to tell his puppeteer? It looks like Ciro is cooking up something to foil the attempt to fry Lili's brain, but I don't think that he got that plan from McGiver's book.

Really looking forward to dinner at the Elizaldes' tonight. Should be another interesting evening for our wide-eyed Aurora. And Cadmil-ho thinks that he can steal another woman from under Santi's nose? She's really going to sign on to that, after seeing the despidida he gave Erika, and how he doesn't give a rip about Natasha. Got a feeling tha lil bro isn't going to stand for it this time, (hard to believe that this strapping guy is Meester James), and Cammy the Putrid is gonna get one well-deserve smackdown.

should be an interesting episdoio
 

Thanks for writing in Amigos y Amigas, and Thanks to Anon at 7:51 for the quick catch on Cuñada showing up as Suegra. My very tired mind did a substitution and I can't even imagine why. It's some weird version of dyslexia of the relatives. And Ibarramedia, I believe it is freno, frenos or that 's the way I always see it written and said in both Mexico and Spain but I don't know about other Spanish speaking countries.

Judy, and Carlos enjoy your big games tonight, I will be running two TV's so I can see the grand finale of ER then I have to go to El Grupo del Español, too busy.

I get so distressed about the torment of Liliana. I want this part over even though I think Dr. Friesbrains (shall we call him Fritz or Fredreich, Judy) is amusing and does a great job as drama queen. It really made me laugh when he calls for help and says she is killing him, he really acted scared when she was hanging on his neck.

Melinama, my captions are not fixed so I am just ignoring them since they are delayed. The speaking is so fast at times that I get off track if I try to look at them. I just watched twice last night to correct some of what I heard. Maybe I will try contacting my local Univision. And I agree that Pris is going to have some major trouble with both men in her life coordinating the dates of this baby.

Jardinera, I would like to see better leather on both Salerosa and Ed. He mentioned to Jacinto to be careful of Salerosa's tender muzzle, hope he doesn't get sick.

Eduardo is certainly playing people almost against each other and not acting in entirely admirable ways but it is so telenovela that he isn't revealing enough to the right people. He is actually justified to be wanting to keep his mother out of the Elizalde mausoleum but even Margarita doesn't know why yet.
 

Sylvia thank you so much for this masterful save:" I think when Jacinto was bragging about the horse he said that Camilo would writhe like a Tlaconete (Salamander) out of pure envy. This is something I can't wait to see. I find myself quite looking forward to the next (and any) Elizalde gathering, especially with the Cad writhing out of envy and also because he has to apologize, bwahahaha." I was too tired to look it up and I thought he was referring to some other horse from their past, but it was Camilo writhing. Now that is something to look forward to.

Speaking of horses, thanks to RSK for the lead on Andalusians and Lipizzans, I want to talk more with one of my horsey friends here in Abq. and needed the names or I need to get her to watch the start of this program so we can talk horses.
 

If I had to bet on who would win in a fight between Santi and Cadmil-Ho my money would be on Santi. Who knew how studly Meester James could be! Besides Cadmil-Ho might break a nail. :-}
 

Cheryl - thank you for the great recap and vocabulary worlds & phrases!

rsk - I was thinking Andalusian or Lipizanner, also.

Sooo . . . is McGruber... er...McGyver... er...Ciro making The World’s Largest Molotov Cocktail??? LOL - yes, he should definitely be using that foil to line his AFDB.

Can't wait for the family dinner-around-the-table tonight. A Norman Rockwell scene . . . NOT!
 

Cheryl: Great recap as usual and thanks for the vocab.

When Gardenia hopped on the back of Jacinto's bike, all I could think of was that I hoped he had plenty of air in the tires. What a load to drag around hill and dale in rural Mexico.

I, too, think Ed hired Gardenia just to keep his eyes on her. He knows she's a blabbermouth.

Margarita will continue to be a problem because as noted above, she knows that Fernanda is not a bad person - just ill-informed at the moment.

By the way, at this writing, I still do not have any Univision channels. I am using YouTube - no captions and bad sound. But, I'm loyal.
 

Brake=freno in Central America

Pasofino- I find that the sound is better on utube than my set, but the background noise seems more prevalent. As you said, no CC's, which I've been ignoring lately, anyway, and only look at them if I didn't hear something clearly. I had been using thema s a crutch, and they caused me to not listen as carefully. I'm training myself to use them only occasionally.
 

That is so true DD. I don't use them at all. I saw that Direct TV is no longer going to carry Galavision, Telemundo, and another one but I can't remember. I got a notice that Time Warner had added new channels like Aztec TV or something like that. Does anyone know anything about that? That's not cool if you have Direct TV.
 

More notes....

Remember that Erika and Camilo made love a couple of weeks ago?? What if Erika and Franco announce their being novios and then she finds out she is pregnant from Camilo?? Ooopps!!

I wonder if Gardenia will fall for Franco and thereby begin a jealousy with Erika?? Will Gardenia and Erika become best buds or rivals??

Has anyone noticed the imbalance of boys and girls in this novela? Although Priscilla has two fellas - If you give Damian to Babs and Eduardo to Fernanda.... that leaves the following girls without novios: Gardenia, Erika, and Lili (since the mud wrestler now has her medico) - not to mention the girl servant who seems rather hot. Lucio is without a girl, but he is a villain, so he doesn't have a villainess to romp with. Are we going to have some more male characters come along??
 

Dave, I am ready to ditch the captions too. I find that I do just fine with understanding when traveling in a country that has TV in Spanish and I am getting slowly better at recapping without them to help. Perhaps the struggle to do without captions will advance by understanding. Recapping in general has advanced my comprehension. Partly because I have to really pay attention which makes even English make more sense, teehee.
 

Great recap Cheryl! You do a great job on the vocabulary words too!

As soon as I saw the aluminum foil under Ciro's bed I laughed out loud thinking of our beanies! I feel so bad for Lili!

There's no way Gardenia will be able to keep her mouth shut - that will be interesting. Margarita will also become a problem. Those sisters and the way they jump to conclusions! But, just think about how pissed off Gardenia is going to be after she finds out after who knows how long that she's been living with the real Eduardo! Yikes.
 

I'm with you Silverfox. We definitely need more macho men. Especially ones that like to swim naked and/or take plenty of showers. :}
 

Cheryl, wonderful, thanks! And I love the vocab, I pass it on to my kids since it is not stuff they encounter in class.

Connie, I'm with you, nice but no Capricho! Shirtless would have been excellent, but I have to say the pale pink stripe. When I guy can carry off pink...YAY!

Maybe Marg will end up being his Jimminy Cricket (yeah I'm finding lots of Pinnochio references in this one). She will be the voice of reason about who Nanda really is and what is leaving cost her. I don't think she is ready to rat him out.

I wished Lili would have shoved that needle in the doc! I'm so glad they showed that she got away in the previews, I really don't like this story line.
 

Jacinto is just not able to keep up with Fr/Ed's swift mind so he couldn't fathom why he would want Gardenia in his house. To paraphrase Don Corleone, "Keep your friends close and your loose cannons closer".
Speaking of which, Gardenia might be a blabbermouth but she's not a girl of easy virtue. I liked how she jumped up offended until she got a clarification of "personal assistant" duties. Although she should know Jacinto would not be a party to any hanky panky like that.

J.J.
 

Cheryl, et al, when I first started down this silly telenovela path several years ago, (La Usupadora; our own FC and Gabriela Spanick [smokin!]), it was, of course w/o CC's. I feel like my comprension was at least what it is now. Solito yo con mi diccionario. The CC's are debilitating if you read them constantly, as I found myself doing. I was missing so much of the spoken, wasting my limited attention abilities on the less than perfect CC's. The recent meltdown of the CC system made me realize that. For a true beginner, I can see how they could be helpful, but are of limited long term use.

Carlos- re: best horse trainer...- I think that they might be trying to show us that Jacinto is only an employed, undercompensated horse trainer; can't afford his own steed. It would not surprise me that at the end of the story, there would be some sort of partnership between he and Eddy where his training talents are realized and fully appreciated.

Pasofino- I had the same thought about the air pressure in those tires.
 

Cheryl: Thank you for the wonderful, detailed recap. I can't imagine how much time it took you to do this but your summary and vocabulary are greatly appreciated. "Dr. Friesminds" was a gem.

Enjoyed your asute comments concerning Eduardo's continuing manipulation of others: "smooth as velvet, Franco smiles enigmatically." And these are the people he likes! As others have pointed out, his seeming lack of character and priorities at this point in time leaves much to be desired. His first act should have been to rescue Lili. Period. At this point, I'm just not into him...

If there are any shock treatments or other atrocities in store for Lili, I'm not going to be able to watch. Enough is enough. Diana in MA
 

Did anyone think the camera lingered too long on the stuff that Margarita was sweeping, as if we were supposed to recognize something in that mess?

Probably not significant...

But her floor sweepings are nothing like mine. I always have crumbs and such (lots!), but the stuff she was sweeping up was much bigger - shreds of paper! Who's the indoor litterbug??
 

She does do a lot of sweeping. I have mostly dog hair.
 

Does Margarita have a job? I thought she worked at the Hacienda.
 

We will have some race horses also, we see a race in the TN opening.

Never fear amigos, Fr/Ed will rescue Lil in time, ----I hope.

I caught Fr/Ed's look when Erika gave him a kiss. Maybe he's thinking he's wasting too much time on a now married mujer. But we know that Fer & Fr/Ed are destined for each other, after all it's in the TN rules.
 

What a Harvard man! Recognizing the skill-set of Gardenia. Enquiring mind, answer the phones; leadership:guard my back; oral presenter: tell me everything you hear and see. She is so funny. Must be about 17.
 

Dave: You're right. The background noise overtakes the dialogue a lot on YouTube. Last night I was wondering if we should start a campaign to reduce the volume of background noise in telenovelas. That would be the CRVBNT movement.
 

Cheryl, if Jacinto is correct and Saleroso is worth millions then it must be a Lipizzan because they are so rare.

rsk
 

Thank you so much CherylNM. I couldn't understand anything anybody was saying. You are a treasure.

I could watch that cutie horse some more episodes. That mane thrown over one shoulder! Dancing so CUte. Would be such a wonderful pet. I'd buy her some more horse attire! Loved the black stripping in her front hair too. ...maybe that was some of the reason I didn't hear conversations? Distracted again by a beautiful face! BUt, thank you again for keeping me on point, learn the language.
 

So Lil is about to ESCAPO! We've all been waiting for this. The only logical place to got to is Hacienda Las Animas. The only other place would be the cantina where Martina and Venus mudwrestle. That would be awfully weird though. I hope they don't put her to work as a wrestler. she is in no shape for that yet.

I wonder how Gardenia will be dressed working for Eduardo/Franco. She looked really hot with her long curly hair and they way she fits in the jeans. MMMM.

Cheryl, ER series finale starts at 8 pm to 11pm.

Ibarramedia
 

I don't know they way Lili came flying off the bed at Doc like a spider monkey, she would get a job with the mud wrestlers.
 

Even if the horse was not loaned by Ericka, but purchased. It would still be a minor loss to Eduardo/Franco. He has made a lot of money in $US. the conversion rate to the mexican peso is roughly $14 rounded up. So if he converts some of his us $$ to Mexican $$, he will have more money and purchase power.


Ibarramedia
 

Thanks for the recap Cheryl and the vocabulary. As others have mentioned, Dr. Friesminds is classic and using a German pronunciation would add to the drama.

Fr/Ed is definitely a flawed character here which is interesting b/c usually the galan is a only a white knight. I'm really hoping he gets to Lil fast. If the storyline goes to her actually getting shock therapy, I'll be very vexed.
 

Wow, lots of comments. Someone remarked that there was no connection between the mud wrestler and Geppetto and the rest of the plot. The connection is that Geppetto the blacksmith made the heart shaped necklace with the initials FE out of a horseshoe that the joven Eduardo gave to the joven Fernanda. When Eduardo returned to the pueblo, he was hurt that Geppetto didn't recognize him (illogical since no one else does either). Later we discover that Geppetto has cataracts and that's why he didn't recognize him.

Someone else asked if Margarita had a job. She's a schoolteacher for the pobres of the area. When she was mad at Jacinto and said she'd leave, he reminded her how important her work was to the kids.

Great and funny recap, Cheryl! Great job!
 

Thanks Novelera. I couldn't remember what Margarita did because she is always at home.

Grammer question--I've noticed that when someone is addressing one of the children of the hacienda owner they say Joven (young) but it feels more like a term of endearment or respect. Can anyone shed light on that? Thanks.
 

Hey, I can't even spell grammar!
 

Connie- the way that I take "joven", is "young man/gentleman". It would be something similar as "senorito" which I think that I heard once or twice. Any other ideas out there?
 

Kind of like the word "Master" in English for young men.
 

I've heard joven a lot. It seems to be the standard way servants in telenovelas address the young men of the family, often followed by their name. For example, someone working at the Elizaldes might say: "He ensillado su caballo, joven Camilo". It's also quite common for the servants to call a female member of the family "niña". I asked my Mexican co-worker about nina, and she couldn't explain it well. It just is that way, even if the girl is 30 years old! And, just like joven, they use the name as well, referring to her as "Niña Fernanda". I haven't heard this useage in MEPS, but the servants don't seem as fond of the Elizalde children (except for the deceased Soledad) as they are in some telenovelas.
 

Thanks guys. That's what I thought but wanted to be sure.
 

Of course how could we forget "Mi Nina Sofia."
 

"the servants don't seem as fond of the Elizalde children (except for the deceased Soledad) as they are in some telenovelas."
Gosh, you are so right! I hadn't even noticed, but now that you mention it . . . In most telenovelas there is at least one household servant that has bonded with the "good" child. Perhaps Jacinto & Margarita fill that slow since Jaco is an employee?
 

I think a lot of that is Barb's doing if you think about it. She kept the "servants" separated from the family. Anyone that showed any friendship or love to the kids she had them banished sort of.
 

Thanks, Cheryl. I don't care what happens on this novela as long as they keep showing Francuardo on that horse...stud on a stud is right. By the way, if anyone is a fan of Highlander, there is a marathon on SciFi channel tonight starting at 6.00 eastern , I believe.
 

Great, Great recap as usual Cheryl. Just about everything that I wanted to say has been already said by other commenters. I wholeheartedly agree with those who can look beyond a handsome toweled body to question what appears at this point as behavior not usually seen in the hero. At least in FELS we knew that the Reyes brothers were incapable of making or carrying out a workable revenge plan. But Eddie seems just the opposite. He's brainy and gives such a picture of strength that leads one to think that he is capable of doing some serious damage to those who may warrent it and even a few who don't. About the closed captions. I love mine and keep them on all the time. I'll bet that those of you who don't need them are advanced in Spanish and maybe even primarily audio learners. I don't think that using captions labels one a beginner. (I'm intermediate). It helps me to associate the spoken word with the written word. I'm primarily visual and a fast reader. So I can take in the entire caption in a single glance and still watch every scene also. Personally I think that the captions are a choice rather than a level.
 

OT: Just thought you might want the info.



Learning: Babies learn foreign languages

Like many children, 2-year-old Avery Feneov loves to sing. But her song selection is a little worldlier than your average toddler.



After almost two years of classes, Avery's parents are pleased with their daughters growing vocabulary. While most American kids are learning to speak English, Avery is also learning to speak Mandarin.

After learning about the breakthrough research being done at the University of Washington on early brain development, Avery's parents decided to enroll their daughter in a second language class.

She was only six weeks old.

"The brain doesn't just turn on automatically at 4 when most schools start teaching language. The brain turns on from the very beginning and it's ready to take on new language," said Lauren Seilg, Avery's mother.

The language school Avery goes to, called "Sponge," teaches Spanish, French, Japanese and Mandarin to children as old as 5 years, and as young as 5 weeks.

"Babies are really primed to learn language from birth. And so, when we give exposure at a young age it take advantage of the way the babies are learning," said Jackie Friedman Mighdoll, the founder of Sponge.




Before she opened the school in 2005, she spent years developing a language program especially for kids.

"The kids do activities, games, snacks, song, dance and the older kids do some art too. All things that they are really engaged in and have fun," she said.

After almost two years of classes, Avery's parents are pleased with their daughters growing vocabulary.

"She can repeat all the words the teacher tells her, she picks up on all the words the teacher tells her, so dozens. As many as she possibly can," said dad Kyril Feneov."

"Children who grow up with more than one language really grow up and appreciate that there can be differences and similarities and that we're all part of that world," said Mighdoll.

Sponge school has become so popular they opened a second school in Issaquah.

KING 5 Special: Learning to Learn


http://www.king5.com/education/stories/NW_040908EDK_learningtolearn_languages_SW.4940b3cb.html#


Ibarramedia
 

My experience is similar to Betty's. I don't think I can read as fast as she can, so I still miss some of the action if I'm looking at the words, but the words stick better when I see them.

At this point, I do (much to my surprise) understand pretty well without captions. However, my ears aren't very "smart" (there's a term for this, I don't know what it is) and things don't stick as well when it's audio only.

That's not just Spanish; I follow shows better in English if I have captions.

I don't think I'd have learned to understand nearly as well WITHOUT captions if I hadn't been watching WITH captions all along. I get a much better handle on the word if I can see it. Then I am much more likely to recognize it again when I hear it.

Different learning/cognitive styles, that's all.
 

Is there such a thing as learning by osmosis? Even if you correlate a word with an action, you still need to learn complex sentence structure, idiomatic expressions, differentiating between real meaning as opposed to literal translations.

Maybe we can have CherylNewMex,Jaardinera,PaulaH,Melinama and Jarocha chime in here.

How did friars during the age of exploration learn indigenous languages?

Ibarramedia
 

I think that to really retain anything whatever the language you need to be paying attention to it. You might get some effects from osmosis but you get most by intention and submersion.

I have a Spanish professor from Ecuador that is using this new method with his baby daughter. One day both parents speak only Spanish and the next day only English and so on. The child learns from both sexes how the languages are expressed. It is supposed to render the kid totally bilingual even as a toddler. I wonder what that would be like in a single parent or homosexual setting but would probably work almost as well.

I imagine from what I have read that many of the "conquerers" learned the native languages by finding a native that was adept at learning the conquering language and could teach them while learning theirs. Some of the Spanish priests worked at it really hard but they were almost all aided by a really smart indigenous person.
 

Ibarramedia/Betty/Julie: JudyB is a French professor and would be more in tune with language learning styles. --Funny you should mention it, but I'm a visual learner...it's a matter of learning tons of vocab and basic grammar, then seeing it all applied via the CC's and connecting them aurally. I couldn't have picked up nearly as much without having Spanish-speaking people around me if I hadn't had the CC's option with these telenovelas! Seeing the captions gave me tons of vocabulary and idioms to memorize. Gradually after watching them applied in telenovelas over these past five years I've realized that my hearing comprehension has improved tons. Initially I was doing well to catch single words and sentences, particularly the most used verb and noun combinations. Then came the tenses and then the phrases. It's an ongoing process for me, as I'm sure it is with everyone, and we're all at various stages in the process. Cheryl's right about having to use your ears and concentrate when captions go missing. Getting my novela fix on my nights out of town through YouTube and the lack of captions recently has "forced" me to listen more.

I'm thrilled to find that although one's physical strength is not what it might be at an advanced age, the brain still functions mightily and is kept that way as long as it is allowed to be actively challenged.
 

Cheryl: Interesting about the indigenous people that helped the friars learn the languages of the New World. I bet that within both cultures there were people who had "the ear", like people with a musical "ear", maybe a rough type of linguist developed basic dictionaries and grammatical structures of sorts and then continued from there.
 

Logically, I think they might have done some point and draw techniques with vocalization. No point and click since there were no computers. Ok. Bad joke.

What I mean is the friar would point to an object like a tree for example and say what it is, the native then would be prompted to say what it was in his native tongue. Whatever was said was written down phonetically based on the spanish alphabet. I'm just making this up based on what we discuss. I don't know if they actually did that.


Ibarramedia
 

Cheryl, thanks for the recap. As many stated, stud-on-a-stud, Dr. Friesminds, etc. were great phrases.
Put me in the group who didn't think Jacinto could haul the Gardenia load over to Las Animas. Although I like Gardenia in this role, she may unwittingly damage Fr/Ed down the road. Suspense!
Run, Lili! I don't want her to be subjected to any more "treatment," especially if it involves electrodes. Just watching this stuff causes anxiety.
Fr/Ed is a hero with some shades of gray on his white hat (or shirt, or horse, whatever.) Maybe when he actually talks to Nanda in person, he'll learn more and things will be clearer.
No question that Meester James has improved over time and has morphed into Santiago the Sympathetic Brother.
La Paloma
 

Loved the recap Cheryl. I have to agree that so far Eddie's actions leaves a bad taste in my mouth. He's so bent on revenge that he won't even take into consideration that maybe he rushed to judgment in regards to Nanda and put her in the same category as the rest of the folks. Right now, I'm not liking Eddie too much. If he saves Lil from shock treatment then that will probably change my opinion about him that underneath that cold exterior he does still have a heart and a conscience. White Knight he isn't. I also wonder how long will it be before the letters are found that will help him see the light about Nanda.
 

Great recap Cheryl! I love that I get the feeling that I was watching again as I read.

I loved Margarita disagreeing with Fr/ed's actions, but he seems to obsessed to really heard what she had to say.

I'll chime in on the language learning discussion, for me, as a native spanish speaker, the experience is a bit different but still very similar, while we take english in school (and that's where I learned the basics), I tend to give most of the credit for what I know to TV shows, music and the internet.

Here in México, if you have cable (wich most of us have, it's quite cheap) you'll get to watch a wide variety of tv shows and movies, so besides watching my favorite novelas, I grew up watching shows like "The Nanny", "Friends", "Buffy The Vampire Slayer", "Dawson's Creek", "Gilmore Girls", etc, in english, with subtitles, and here most movies showing in the theaters come from the US and if that movie is over the "B" clasification (12 years old), you will most surely ony find it in english with subtitles, not dubbed (like they tend to do in Spain).

So all this english exposure helps alot, and I think many people here will understand parts of something written in english, but it wasn't until I started watching shows without subtitles that my ears started to truly define the differences between spoken words, US english is very confusing sometimes, because there are moments when one sentence sounds like one word only (in british english it's easier to distinguish what people are saying, it sounds more clear somehow), but once I left the subtitles I started to realize that I was understanding what the characters where saying at the moment they where saying it, instead of a few moments later when I rationalized the meaning in my head, the key here was that somehow I started thinking in english, instead of just translating the words.

Also one opinion that I want to throw up there for those who have taken spanish lessons: I think spanish is more difficult to write than english, it has a more complex set of rules for even the most basic things (just the accentuation rules alone are enough to give people headeaches). Am I right or wrong?

Jarocha
 

I don't know if you're right or wrong about English vs. Spanish, Jarocha - as a student, I thought Spanish was easy to learn to write. I thought it might actually be easier to learn than English.

But that was >20 years ago and I don't remember most of the rules. I know enough to read a sentence, but not to write one. Maybe it's harder than I thought.

And it's true that English isn't as complicated with verbs - that is, I don't think you have to learn as many different verb tenses in English, for example. And we don't have to worry about noun gender.

All I can say for sure is that German is much harder than Spanish, and I assume that it's also much harder than English. Three genders, plus declensions (I think that's what they were called) - hoo boy that was tough and I was glad when those four semesters were up.
 

Thank you Cheryl for the wonderful recap. This show so far is great. Not a boring moment. Gardenia is really beautiful and hyper. Is Eduardo sure he wants her around? She seems like a loose cannon to me. What did Eduardo ever do to Bowbara and her vampire boss? They seem to really have it in for him. Poor Jacinto,he always looks like he is going to faint.Great show.
Hanna, MD
 

That's really interesting Julie, I remember how most of the class always had trouble in Spanish, when we had to remember the verbal times, accentuation rules (especially the use of diacritic vs prosodic accent and weather to use v or b or c or s), etc., but the english verbal times seemed easier, there were less of them (I can remember about six right now, and there are about 17 in spanish), and there wasn't an accent mark needed for certain words, I wonder just how basic that english we were taught was. I'm planning on a trip to Canada in the fall to learn better english, hopefully that would shed a light on how much I still need to learn, and of course help me learn it.

And German is hard, I haven't taken a class, but I tried to learn it on my own and I just decided to stop deluding myself, let me say how much I admire you for taken on two (maybe more?) differen't laguages than your own.

Jarocha
 

I'm coming into this conversation extremely late. I was so busy Thurs, I made a consciouse decision to not read the MEPS comments. Now that I see it was a language discussion, I know I would've spent too much time here.

Language learning. Some folks have the gift. One of my friends, Luis, arrived here knowing no English. After 10 months, his level was astounding. Another friend worked just as hard and still struggled after two years. Some people 'get' math; some 'get' languages.

Other than TNs and study dates with native speakers, my favorite method is memorizing sentences from Resnick's "1001 Most Useful Spanish Words," $2.00. It gives me vocabulary, grammar, and syntax, and I find that I retain a sentence better than a list of words. One good sentence can become a template for 20 more, by swapping vocabulary. When I memorize them, I can grab the vocab or sentence structure whenever I need it.

Along with that, hit grammar about once a week. The sentences and the grammar study complement each other.

I have some favorite books. If anyone is interested, flag me on the blog for Thurs's show, and I give you my favorite grammar resources.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder