Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tontas - Wed 4-22-09 -Could this show BE anymore PSA????

Alright, maybe for their original audience this stuff is all very apropo, but correct me if I'm wrong, these are fairly old social topics for us, no? Ah well, anyway, you get to learn about HIV, now bulimia and anorexia, real men DO cry, gays are people too, overeating is unhealthy, Fathers have rights too, and a little more about WHITE LIIINES....NEARLY BLOW MY MIIIND.....

:)

Thank heavens for Mario!!!

So where do we start...well...with Mario calling Santi to let him know he's in town. We learn he, Lalo and Santi were like the 3 musketeers in the prepa, so they are happy to see each other again. Ma remembers too.

Then we go to Sole freaking out because she feel asleep on the couch with her feet next to a lesbian. Horror of horrors. Beto comes out, wonders why she's up already and she says she just came out and whatever, she doesn't let on to him, or to Ceci that she slept all night there next to her. At least she offered to make breakfast...

Chayo leaves for work and Lalo begs her not to tell anyone he was crying. She says men cry, machos, no, she'll only tell Barb and no, she won't tell a soul. Lalo calls in sick, then calls Zam to go and that he's afraid.

Tina and Don are chatting about her possible reconstruction if her lump is really big and that Santi is the best and see what good work he did for Isa....she comes in and wonders what they are talking about and it's her and he's off to the garden before she's off with his head (well sort of).

Santi takes anorexia chic to the institute and they meet up with Araceli Aizpuru and Marifer. These are folks who are a part of the real Ellen West foundation that Jaime is active with and they are actually not really acting. Lucia's friend swears she's not sick. These two ladies give us a run down of the illness and why the girl needs help. Sad story from Marifer, which is probably true. Anyway, at the end of course she cries for Mommy and says she wants help. Mission accomplished.

Next we see Zam and Lalo going to a witch doc for babymaking help. The witch doc in drag is also someone known but I can't place him...Hombre placed her. Barbara Torres from La Famila P Luche. Indeed it is her, but she actullay looks better with less makeup. Our Zamora is also a regular on that show, so of course this is the connection there. Anyway she tells them all kinds of fun stuff shaking an egg all over his Lever parts and gives them a scavenge hunt list. Feathers from a pregnant Hen is one of the first...um...yeah...then fur of a cat which scratches the heck out of Lalo (go kitty go!!) and crocodile scales. Good luck with that last one. Oh, and all this cost 2000 pesos (around 200.00 dollars) yeow!

Chayo comes home smells everything looks at him and wonders who he was with. She freaks out when she hears they might have to wait 6 months for all this magic to work.

Sole tells Barb how much the sleeping thing bugged her, she likes men damnit.

Lulu wants help from her girlfriends.

Mario shows up and he's all serious, until finally he makes a joke. What's with the white and black. Santi mentions that Pau is there in the house with them and they all wonder what happened to Lalo.

Ceci goes over a diet with Lulu, it will be hard but they will help her.

More boy bonding. Mario admits he fell in love by singing Juanes and a jealous husband wanted to kill him. Pau shows up just as they leave the room and finds her cell that she threw out and wonders what she imagined.

Candy gives Lu a lesson in the food groups and tells us all the things that can happen from being overweight. Lulu pinky promises to be good.

Pau asks Don and Tina what up with the phone. They don't know and decide she's crazy after she leaves the room, just like in the telenovelas. At least the acknowledge it..

The boys reminisce and Mario tells his story, Santi wonders if he too was abandoned by his pregnant lover, and he says no. Lalo is bummed because he doesn't have that problem. Santi knows why he is here. Impactado look from Mario but Santi explains it's really because he missed his buddy.

More will follow along with pics. Thanks.

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks, Kris! A few quick notes. More in the morning.

* What a beak on the witch doctor!

* Kris, great find, on that link to Jaime's support of Ellen West Fnd, since it references this episode!

* Did you notice that the girl supposedly suffering from bulimia has about twice as much body fat as Candy? After all the talk of the dangers of eating disorders, I just wanted to bulimibarf, when Candy told Lulu that she stays thin for her health! ARGGGG!

* The three musketeers in Santiago's sala - it must be after Easter, so they could all wear white. In a white room, on white couches.

* What's up? When Santi goes to Candy's office and he invites him to dinner, could you make sense of his hand motions? They seemed totally unrelated to his converstion. Also what did he do on his leg as he was leaving? Did it represent a zipper?

Finally, Ceci on the couch. I don't blame Soledad for being disturbed. If I was asleep on the couch and a STRAIGHT female friend climbed onto the couch and slept next to me, I would think it was beyond strange, especially since Ceci could have gone to her own bed, or laid down on the other couch. Remember when Pat was at Candy's house (before they had gotten back together I think) and he saw her asleep on the couch? What if, instead of covering her with a blanket, what if he had climbed in next to her? (yes, head-to-foot, but still!) More than a bit forward, don't you think? Since Sol was already asleep when Ceci laid down, that was a definite invasion of space, regardless of sexual preference.
 

Hmmm..I missed a lot of this because I have a meeting on Wednesday nights, but I did see the "I stay thin for my health" Candy-bit and was equally annoyed. You KNOW these actresses have all kinds of food issues, even more so than average women. I'm not blaming them...the professional pressure in unreal! but still....

I will have to go back on the tape and see the folks from the Ellen West fund. That will be interesting.

Thanks for a good start Kris, I could really related to your opening paragraph. I suppose soap operas here have done a lot of PSA's in their time as well, but I never watch American tv except for sports so was not prepared to be "lectured" so much.
 

Good morning everyone! I also thought it was very odd that Ceci fell asleep at Sole's feet. At bedtime she's reading on one couch (instead of her own room), the next morning she's asleep on the other couch that is already occupied by Sole? (Especially since she knows Soledad is fairly homophobic.) I found Soledad's reaction amusing, like she thought she would turn into a lesbian from the feet up.

I didn't recognize the witch doctor.

Paula, I didn't notice that Santi's hand motions were odd, although he was using them quite a bit. As for the zipper motion, I was also a little confused as to what it meant but I assumed since Candy asked if he came back because he had forgotten something he was pretending to put away the make-believe item he had come to retrieve (instead of coming back for one more kiss).

Thanks Kris, it's a great recap so far and I look forward to enjoying the rest. Also, nice job on the Ellen West link and article. That went right over my head.
 

Hello, hello! :-) Thank you for the recap, Kris; the real-life testimony from the young lady was well done and had me reaching for the kleenex.

Interesting that Jaime is involved with that foundation; thank you.

I had to laugh when the boyz show up at the chicken coop looking like the Blues Brothers. I pity the chickens and the kitty, being chased by those two bozos.

And as Lalo said later, I can't believe he, a doctor, consulted a bruja. I guess they wanted to show how irrational machos are about their plumbing.
 

Kris, a fantastic summary and anything more will be icing on the cake.

Paula, I noticed the witch doctor's "nariz grande", too. Still not sure if that was a guy in drag or a woman. Think I'd seen in Nat'l Geographic some time ago that shamans still abound in Mexico.

Speakin' of the King of Mexico, how can there be anorexia in a country w/ such great chow??

New York Times had an interesting article yesterday on Mezcal production. An interesting read after our discussion of "in agave, veritas" a few days ago.
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

Minor point. Ed is an anesthesiologist. Are they full doctors? I really don't know.

The bruja using the egg was accurate. My friend married a Chicano. When their baby was born, her suegra brought in someone who rubbed the baby's whole body with an egg.

As for the PSAs. No excuse for the flood of them. But as for how heavy-handed they are, remember we said TNs are considered very nacos? I suspect that the writers disrespect their audience to some degree, and they believe they have to put it plainly so their intended audience will "get it."
 

Paula, I think Eduardo was once described as an "anesthetist", which - I think - can be a specially trained nurse. Maybe Carlos will weigh in on this one.
 

Hi, Kris. Thanks for a fun recap!

I am 99% sure that the witch doctor was actually a woman, specifically, Bárbara Torres, who plays Exelsa, the Argentinian maid on La Familia Peluche (the joke is she never does anything). Yes, her nose is quite long.

ITA that it was a little weird for Ceci to sleep on the same couch as Soledad.

I guess Paulina's amnesia act is over, although we didn't really see it definitively. I also noticed that they seemed to say they had 4 Musketeers and she was one of them? (not sure about that). Anyway, hope to find out soon what's up with her and Mario. And if Mario got that phone from the trash, why would he leave it out in the open?
 

From Wiki:

"An anaesthetist (British English), or anesthesiologist (US English), also "anaesthesiologist," is a medical doctor trained to administer anesthesia and manage the medical care of patients before, during, and after surgery..."

When nurses qualify, they are referred to as "certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNA's) or anesthesiology assistants (AA's)..."
 

Thanks for the recap Kris. Maybe short but very funny. I'm using the cell phone today. Sometimes it works. Basically you guys are right. An anesthesiologist is always a physician (MD or DO or even DVM). An anethetist is anyone who administers anesthesia. I was frequently the anethetist when I delivered babies(perhaps my favorite thing).CRNAs are specially trained RNs who are also certified. I'm pretty sure that Lalo is an anesthesiologist and of course he is Santi's anethetist. Carlos
 

Hi Jeri...yes, your sources are right.(well duh, of course) I know anesthetists and I know nurse anesthetists here in Columbus...they would always say nurse anesthetist if that's what Lalo was...clearly he's a doctor.

Funny, I just learned the phrase "casa chica" the other day and then it turned up in the telenovela last night. It's possible I heard it before and didn't notice it.
 

whoops, our comments crossed. Hi Carlos.
 

Also wanted to say that I was so touched when I rewound the tape and found the section on anorexia where a real person gave the testimony. Her voice trembled the whole time which made it so real and so very moving.

Normally I find the PSA's annoying but this just blew me away.
 

Stalker OMario. I love how he teases Santiago, and US!, with bits and pieces of the story. Santi has no clue. We do.

Mario: I came because a jealous husband wants to kill me.
Santi: You always chased married or engaged women. You like the adventure?
Mario: No, in this case it was love. I almost married.

Mario: I fell in love. I lived with the love of my life. But it happened to me, the exact same thing as happened to you, Santi.
Ed asks her name; Mario dodges.
Mario: No. She left a card & disappeared.
Santi: That explains why you’re here.
Mario (shaken): HUH?
Santi: You’re sad, slumming old memories.
 

Thanks for the recap Kris. Someone called it the other day, OMario is a friend of Santiago's. Semi surprising. Thing that crossed my mind was if Paulina was fooling around with OMario and one of the reasons she left Santiago?
What is it with Charly! Sheesh. They're going to make him do everything? I wonder if that could be something Pato will bring up later as a reason to get custody of Chava?
Paulina finding or tossed phone, hah.
Tonight's episode is on now.
JeffMN
 

I think Paulina may be in line to get the Sergio Sendel award for Best Supporting Phone Toss. :-)
JeffMN
 

OMG, I am so happy I found this site--I love Las Tontas but I don't speak Spanish. I write down a few words every time it's on and gradually am understanding more, but the re-cap really helps!! Thank You!!
Patti
 

Welcome, Patti! We are always glad for new blood. Today I wrote a post about language study by telenovelas, over on the MEPS board. I would normally direct you there, but since you're new in the neighborhood, and people won't be visiting this page much anymore (because Thursday's show has aired), I'll repost it here.

Novelas as Spanish study. Some people listen casually and it gradually seeps in. Others, like me, do more deliberate study. It's work, but it's much more fun and much more effective than classes.

Here's what worked for me.
1. Watch and record the show at night.
2. Print out the recap the next morning.
3. Re-watch the episode with recap in hand. Read a scene in the recap, then watch the scene. Repeat for the next scene.
4. Write down words or phrases that you like. Keep a list, and try to incorporate some into your vocabulary (one of the favorites I added at that time: "Cuándo me vas a dejar en paz?").

My comprehension on the second viewing was VASTLY greater than in the first pass. Why? It was my second hearing, I had slept on it (I think that is important), and I knew what to expect because I had just read the scene in the recap.

When I started watching LFMB, I understood almost nothing. After two months of this study method, my comprehension had DOUBLED! I was clueless when I started, and 18 months later I was ready to be a recapper (I don't use captions to recap, except to go back and decipher specific items).

For me, watching without captions works best. Others report the opposite. You may want to watch w/o, but turn them on to replay and decipher something you really care about, or to write down a vocabulary item.

After my Spanish improved, sometimes I would transcribe a favorite scene verbatim, in either English or Spanish. It challenged my limits and forced me to focus on grammar items like tenses and pronouns. Again, it's work, but much more fun than writing a report in Spanish for class.

Animo!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder