Thursday, May 07, 2009

Cuidado Thursday, May 07, 2009 Amador + Mari = One fully functioning person

I’m a bit distracted tonight – the dog got skunked partway through my recap efforts. Just one brief scene from yesterday: Mari tells Cande to tell JM (or Ed?) that she doesn’t want the flowers In Grannyland, Mayita is telling Granny that JM went to Boston and that she can talk to him over the computer. Granny exclaims over new technology. And sure enough, we see JM and Mayita seeing each other live on the computer. They chat and she wants to know when he’ll be back. He says it’ll be quite a while, as he’s studying to be able to do a very important surgery when he comes back. Mayita mentions Granny, and JM says he can’t see her. Mayita says but she’s here (and there she is next to Mayita), and JM says I believe everything you say, so I’ll try real hard to see her. Mayita tells Granny to lean closer so the camera can see her. Granny does and exclaims, very moved, that she can see JM. JM is smiling hopefully. Mayita says can you see her? JM says I see you and you’re adorable. Mari is still cranking about the flowers and tells Cande to get rid of them. Cande says okay, okay, and puts them in the in the bedroom trash. Mari says JM is making fun of me. Cande says no, it’s a lovely gift for your anniversary. Mari says come on, for what anniversary? I don’t want any reminders of JM. Mayita holds up Cuate and JM says he’s the most adorable dog in the world and he’s glad Mayita loves him because Mari found him in the street and gave him to her. Mayita can’t wait until her brother and Mari come live with them and JM says ojalá. JM says he has to get back to studying, and Mayita is saying goodbye while Granny cannot tear her joyful and yearning eyes from the screen. She reaches out to the screen and says my son! Don’t worry about Mayita, she’s fine and doing very well in school. JM smiles indulgently at the screen. Mayita scolds him for not answering and he looks drolly back. Now we see the screen from JM’s point of view and there is Mayita on a couch, indicating at empty space and saying Granny is right here! JM rubs his forehead. He says okay and he says Mama, I see you! Thank you for all you do for Mayita – she is always telling me about her times with you. Granny is thrilled and throws kisses at the screen. JM tells Mayita not to forget to ask Onelia to take her to see Mari. Mayita says she won’t forget; she can’t wait to see Mari and her little brother. JM once again signs off saying here’s a kiss for you and another for Mami. Granny catches the kiss in her hands, thrilled. My son! Granny is overwhelmed and makes the sign of the cross on Mayita and thanks her for letting her see her son. And how well father and daughter get along! She holds Mayita close and says thank you, my little angel, while tears stream down her cheeks. Please, oh please, JM, don’t suddenly become competent and cure Mayita of this tender fantasy. Or is it a fantasy? Later we see Mari out on the lawn while Ceci gives direction so she can walk alone. Both are smiling. Then we see Mari practicing carrying Juanito on the lawn all by herself. Now it’s nighttime at Casa Verlarde and Mari is sitting alone in her bathrobe thinking of the note in the flowers. What anniversary? Then she thinks maybe the anniversary of JM’s marriage proposal. We see a flashback of that. She gets weepy and feels her way over to the trash where the flowers still are. You’d think AJ would’ve swiped them, but no, they’re still there. JM’s hotel room floor is covered with neat stacks of books. He’s at his computer, but his thoughts are going back to his wedding day with Mari. AJ is on the phone with Balbina. She wants to know why she can’t reach Onelia. Balbina fudges that she’s out a lot. AJ says she needs to get the number and address of the hotel where JM is staying. She says she’s called his cell a lot but he never answers. AJ asks Balbina if she knows his address or number and Balbina says no and AJ says sharply okay, good night! Mari has gotten the orchids out the box and she’s sniffing them and crying and remembering his kisses. Do orchids have a smell? He should have sent her gardenias -that would give her nose something to do. Meantime, JM is in bed remembering the last time he saw her there on the lawn. He swears that he will return and cure her. Mari is cuddling her orchids. She falls asleep and dreams that she and JM are riding bikes together out in the country. They ride, stop, laugh, kiss, ride some more, kiss some more, laugh some more. Ah, love and lust! Great stuff. Un Cancho al Corazon muy pronto! Is that the next 8 o’clock show? Or something else? After a refreshing ad break, we see Mayita sitting on Mari’s bed while Mari pets Cuate. Mari wonders why Onelia doesn’t come up to see her and Mayita says she’s downstairs talking to Cande and that they’ve brought a present from her, Grandma Onelia and JM. Mari is a little nonplussed. Onelia and Cande discuss a present, then Onelia asks how Mari’s doing. Cande reports that she’s learning to walk around the house and bumps into things less and less, and even goes up and down the stairs. Cande says AJ is teaching her and tells Onelia she really doesn’t like her. Onelia says I happen to know that she’s not as nice as she pretends. Cande says ooooh! How do you know? Onelia says suffice it to say that she can’t be trusted with you or with Mari. Aw, c’mon, Onelia, spill! Drat, she doesn’t and just sips her tea. Mayita asks Mari if she knows that JM is gone – for six months! She says she misses him and won’t Mari miss him too? Mari says mmmmm. Out of the mouths of babes: Mayita says I don’t know why you and Juanito don’t come live with us. You’re the one who doesn’t want it, right? Mari says um, what happened is… um. It’s life. Things change. Mayita says if you’re mad, it’s not good for me or Juanito. Mari says don’t say that. Mayita says it’s true. My papi loves you a lot. I heard him tell Grandma Onelia, but don’t tell them I heard. AJ is at JM’s office talking to his secretary, Esther. AJ says she knows he’s out of town and she needs a favor. Mayita says my papi suffers because he’s apart from you and Juanito and because you are the love of his life. Even Granny Marianna says he loves you. Huh? says Mari. I thought she was in heaven. Yes, says Mayita and I talk to her all the time up in the attic. You don’t believe it? Come live with us and I’ll take you to see her. Mayita says my papi has gone to the United States to study and then come back and..… Onelia walks in at this critical moment, bearing Mari’s present. Smiles all around. AJ has scored JM’s e-mail address. She tells Esther that she wanted to call him on his cell, but it’s so expensive and besides he might be in an important class or something. Looks like JM forgot to keep Esther in the loop. Mari’s gift is either a clock that plays music or a music box – we only see the back of it. Mari says it’s lovely and Mayita says it’s from me, Grandma Onelia and my papi. Cande says I hope she doesn’t throw it in the trash like she did the orchids. Oops, she says, that just slipped out. She tells Onelia about the flowers and the note. Onelia says and you threw them away? Onelia pets Mari and says please know that we all love you, JM included. He’s not your enemy. JM is in a tiny classroom which is painted bright yellow. The professor finishes up and the other students take off. JM stays and looks at his laptop when suddenly an IM from stalkerchick@runforyourlife.com pops up. She says she knows he’s online and can they talk? JM thinks about it a while and in Mexico, AJ waits. Mari asks Cande to get something out of her dresser and tells her which drawer and to look behind the clothes. Cande finds the orchids and exclaims. JM’s brain is stuffed so full of ophthalmology class facts and moony Mari thoughts that there isn’t one neuron left to devote to searching his mental psychiatry database for a little guidance. He says okay, so AJ starts to talk to him camera-to-camera. She tells him how sorry she was, that she had a weak moment and could not hide what her heart was feeling. Blug. JM tells her what happened means a friendship is no longer possible. AJ says I know, but please please please forgive me. AJ should consider camera angles when going onscreen to a man she wants to seduce. With her laptop in her actual lap, we get a bit of an up-the-nose shot with a distorted chin. JM says it’s in the past. AJ says I’m so sorry that now I’ve been sacrificing myself! I’m dedicating every waking moment to helping the woman you love learn to walk and to function independently. I’m hoping to be worthy of you and your forgiveness. JM looks like oh, brother. Me, I’m feeling a bit urpy. Mari and Cande are alone now and Mari tells Cande she kept the flowers and wanted to let them dry so she could save them. Cande has a different idea of how to preserve them that I didn’t understand, but Mari likes it and says okay, help me out. AJ says say something, JM! He says I forgave you a long time ago. Really? she gushes. Yes, he says, and I appreciate what you’re doing for Mari. AJ gushes some more: You don’t know how happy that makes me to hear you say that! (Brace yourselves.) JM says I would even kiss your hands, the hands that are helping Mari in her world of darkness. AJ says I will guide and protect her until you return. JM says you’re very noble. And I’ll come back and complete your job. I live for Marichuy! AJ doesn’t look so gushy all of a sudden. She snaps her laptop shut and gets all snotty mimicking JM “ I live only for Marichuy…” Cande is packing the orchids into some kind of box. Cande takes this opportunity to tell Mari that Onelia said don’t trust AJ. Mari says but Onelia doesn’t really know her, does she? Cande says Onelia didn’t want to exactly say why. Mari says AJ has been good to me. But she tells Cande to hide the flowers so AJ doesn’t see she’s saved them. Everything seems yellow tonight. Purita is in a bright yellow sundress in the light-yellow baby room where there’s a crib and toys. She hopes that all this baby stuff will bring on an actual pregnancy, like Adrian hopes. Adrian eavesdrops at the door as Purita picks up a little blanket from the crib and pretends it’s a baby, cooing to it. This is seriously weird. Adrien is starting to look freaked out. Purita dances around singing to the blanket in her arms. AJ is soliloquizing - he loves only Mari! He’s the first man even to refuse me, and it’s all her fault! Plus she doesn’t appreciate him at all. I’m gonna get her. We see Cande about to descend the stairs, baby bottle in one hand and cereal bowl in the other. Oops, the cereal bowl slips from her hand and there’s a mess on the stairs. She creeps downstairs past the mess and shortly afterwards, AJ shows up and sees it. She kicks at the bowl and finds the stairs are slippery. A lightbulb appears over her head and she smiles fiendishly. For some reason, Cande is back in Mari’s room (which is upstairs, isn’t it?) and hands her the bottle, telling her she dropped the bowl and has to go clean it up. Now she is coming up the stairs and AJ is at the top, complaining that it’s dangerous. Cande says it was an accident. AJ says I’m sure not going to clean this up, and why did you call me envious (when was that?). Cande says because you are – when Mari got flowers and you didn’t, you were envious and don’t deny it. I do deny it, says AJ, smiling. AJ says why do you treat me like an enemy? You’re always so sarcastic with me. Cande says because I know what you are. She bites her thumb (cool gesture!), flips her head and walks off. AJ looks squinty-eyed after her and thoughtbubbles that she has to get Cande tossed out of this house, a.s.a.p. AJ comes in and Mari says where have you been? AJ says she had to pay some bills and then stopped by to ask about Amador. She says she doesn’t know which is worse, to be killed or to be dead in life, a vegetable. AJ says he’s paralyzed all over, can’t speak and is fed through a tube. Mari says oh wow. We see Amador being wheeled into his aunt’s place in a wheelchair. He isn’t in his mummy outfit, he’s in slacks and a T-shirt and his biceps are so amazing they have resisted atrophying and are bulging defiantly. His cellos are still trailing after him, and even though they’re a bit subdued, I suspect they hint that his evil still glimmers somewhere inside him. He stares into space. The aids want to put him in bed, but his aunt says he must be tired of lying around. The nurse reminds her that he doesn’t know what’s going on. His aunt says well, they said he wouldn’t make it and look at him now – alive. Closeup of his staring eyes. AJ asks Mari if she hates Amador more than JM. Mari says no, I don’t hate him. I hated what he did to Bea, and how he reacted to the baby, but if this is some kind of retribution, how horrible. Holy cow! Amador is thoughtbublling! Is this some sort of punishment, that I’m still alive, but can’t move or talk? It’s a living death, with no hope. Whatever I’ve done bad in my life, I didn’t deserve this. I wish I could talk to my aunt Mimi to tell her what I’m feeling and thinking. Everyone is talking around me and I can’t communicate with them in any way. I never thought something like this would happen to me! And I haven’t gotten any better. I’ll probably stay this way… I don’t deserve this! What crappy luck. I was about to escape, and look what happened to me. My only hope is to get better, to react somehow. If I can’t, I’ll be a person that everyone wants to be rid of, even Aunt Mimi who is so concerned now. Hey, Amador, look at the bright side! At least you can see. Sorry, just trying to be helpful. I don’t think we’ve ever been in the Velarde’s kitchen before. What’s up with those two big pillars? Who does the cooking? Martirio, and Dora washes up? Anyway, Dora is kind and tells Cande she’ll go clean up the mess and Cande protests a bit, then tells her she’s a good girl. AJ asks Mari if she wouldn’t like to go for a walk outside before it gets cold. Mari says she’s waiting for Cande to bring the baby bottle. We see Cande coming down the stairs where Dora is cleaning the little mess with the most giant mop I’ve ever seen. She compliments Dora on her work and says she wouldn’t want the princess falling. Dora thinks she means Mari, but Cande says no, that AJ. But now that she thinks of it, Mari could slip on the wet step. Cande goes in to Mari, then realizes she forgot something in her room. Meantime, we see AJ in the kitchen cutting off a nice big hunk of butter which she then takes and rubs on the steps. Cande, walking by on the landing, sees her sitting on the steps, but doesn’t see what she’s doing. Cande wonders to herself why AJ is sitting there. A side trip to Grannyland where Mayita pretends she’s a doctor and Granny pretends she’s cut her finger in the kitchen. For reasons that are unclear, Cande is not on the scene and AJ is standing on the landing with Juanito on one hip, telling Mari to do the stairs without holding the banister. Mari doesn’t stop to think that this would be very stupid advice even for a sighted person. Yaaaaaa cries Mari as she slips and falls. Avances: Mari falls further down the stairs and ends up on the middle landing, apparently unconscious.

Labels:


Comments:
Oh Maggie...I'm so sorry about your dog. My mother grew up on a farm and was "skunked" once. They had to bury her clothes, no hope of redeeming them and she got washed in the tub (filled with heated well water) numerous times!

Always enjoy your wicked prose, turn of phrase and unexpected observations. You're a gifted writer...hope your professional work involves those skills somehow.
 

Try tomato juice for the skunk smell. :)
 

Maggie, how is your dog doing?

Terrific recap,filled with wit and humor. If hard pressed to pick my favorite line it would be"stalkerchick@runforyourlife.com" - brillant.

The scenes of Granny watching JM on the computer had me crying along with her. Your "Mayita is saying goodbye while Granny cannot tear her joyful and yearning eyes from the screen" was beautifully phrased. When she called "my son, my son", I really lost it.

You asked if Granny was a fantasy. As fantasy and reality are often a blurred distinction, I believe she is very real to Mayita.

Onelia, why the silence??? She had the perfect opportunity to warn Cande about AJ. Another in a string of endless missteps.

I cannot believe Mari will have yet another fall. Although AJ is trying to set up Cande, I don't think she knows it was Dora cleaned up the spill and will attest to it.

Diana in MA
 

I also was sobbing watching the scenes of Granny and JM. That Mayita is a little doll. What kid would've ever thought about doing what she did? What a tender moment at the end when she is hugging her gramma. Love that kid!

Maggie, your poor dog and you! What a smell. I know they have stuff at the pet stores to help. Good luck!

I can't believe either that Mari will tumble down stairs again and hit her head. Wait, do you think it will get the optic nerve into full swing and she will see? Nah, that would be too easy. That AJ is evil x 100. Stef was evil, but not as dastardly. I had to switch back to the Sox game when she was buttering those stairs. Wow, she is nasty! Oneila, as one of my Indian doctors loves to say "Spill the bean!" I thought she would tell Cande what went on at Casa de San Roman, why the silence??

I did miss the scenes with Amador. Wonder what will happen to him. I can't see the show just allowing him to veg away. We need another villian.

Diana, I also love the Celts. Tonight will be going back and forth between Cuidado, Sox, Celts, and B's. Thank God for the remote!

Judy, thank you for those vibes you sent me during the exam. I swear I felt them!!
 

Maggie, I had to drop by and offer my condolences on the skunk encounter. Been there, done that, had to throw away the tee shirt. The smell on your dog will only linger about a month. Actually, you'll get kinda used to it after a bit. Good luck!

Carlos
 

I got this from a website and the Mythbusters say it works

The Skunk Remedy Recipe

In a plastic bucket, mix well the following ingredients:

1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

1/4 cup of baking soda

1 to 2 teaspoons liquid soap

for very large pets one quart of tepid tap water may be added to enable complete coverage.

Wash pet promptly and thoroughly, work the solution deep into the fur. Let your nose guide you, leave the solution on about 5 minutes or until the odor is gone. Some heavily oiled areas may require a "rinse and repeat" washing.

Skunks usually aim for the face, but try to keep the solution out of the eyes - it stings. If you have any cuts on your hands you might want to wear latex gloves for the same reason.

After treatment, thoroughly rinse your pet with tepid tap water.

Pour the spent solution down the drain with running water.

NEVER, ever, store mixed solution in a closed bottle, sprayer,etc. Pressure will build up until the container bursts. This can cause severe injury.

**********Notes**************

1) Clean plastic mixing containers and utensils are preferred. Metals encourage auto-decomposition of the peroxide.

2) Hydrogen Peroxide 3% solution is usually sold in pint (500ml) bottles, so you'll need two. The 3% grade is often marked "U.S.P.", meaning that it meets the standards for medical use and purity as set forth in the United States Pharmacopoeia.

The use of other strengths/grades is not recommended unless you're a chemist, and even then a trip to the 24-hour drugstore is much better than a trip to the emergency room.

3) Use baking soda, not baking powder. "Arm and Hammer" is one popular brand. Baking soda is also called: Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Bicarbonate, U.S.P., Bicarbonate of Soda, and Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate. Do not confuse any of the above with Washing Soda, which is Sodium Carbonate. Washing Soda is about 100 times more alkaline than Baking Soda and can cause skin burns to both you and your pet.

4) Two preferred brands are "Softsoap" and "Ivory Liquid". As far as auto-decomposition of the peroxide is concerned, the surfactant package in these two is fairly inert. Heavy-duty grease-cutting brands such as "Dawn" are less inert, and hair shampoo is probably the worst.

5) Once mixed, the peroxide slowly breaks down into water and oxygen gas. Thus it gets weaker with time and so it should be used promptly. The exact rate depends on temperature, pH, and catalysts such as trace amounts of metals (iron,etc.) in the soap and/or tap water.

How much pressure will the complete decomposition of 3% hydrogen peroxide produce in a closed container ??? It depends on how full the container is. Assuming negligible solubility of Oxygen in water, a bottle half-full of peroxide will develop about 140 psi. A bottle 3/4 full would develop 420 psi. This can do a lot of damage.

Highly pure hydrogen peroxide decomposes very slowly if kept cool and in a dark place, a few percent a year. The more dilute solutions usually decompose faster (due to impurities in the dilution water) and have a trace of stabilizer added. So why aren't the bottles in the store bloated or bursting ? Look carefully inside the cap... you'll see some very tiny holes in the cap liner to let the oxygen gas escape. A good reason to always store bottles upright.

Look for an expiration date on your peroxide. If you're using stuff which has been sitting around in your medicine cabinet for years, buy fresh peroxide.

6) Tepid: lukewarm.

7) All brand names mentioned in this website are trademarks of their various owners.
 

Maggie, this was super funny. I love your snarking about AJ. And condolences about the skunks...when I was growing up there was a family of skunks that kept trying to move in under our deck. Experienced that smell a few too many times.

I LOVE that Amador is fully conscious and unable to do anything! HA! His aunt should hire AJ to be HIS caretaker; I'd love to see her constantly whine at him and poke him and tickle him with a feather while he's trying to fall asleep.

BTW...Marichuy's room is downstairs. Almost everything else in the house is upstairs. Sometimes in the exterior shots you can see why this is so...the ground slopes down at the side of the house where Mari's room is.
 

I am printing this remedy to keep on hand just in case my big ol' Golden Retriever ever comes in contact with a skunk! Thanks, Waterloo.
 

Maggie, if you're still looking for treatments, I found some stuff that actually works rather well called Nature's Skunk Odor Remover. My first Pitbull Clyde Henry took great pleasure in mixing it up with skunks(6 encounters to be exact) so we kept the stuff on hand. Once seemed to be enough for our princess Bonnie Belle.

Carlos
 

Hi, I just wanted to say thank you to all the recappers for your hard work. I haven't been able to watch the show much lately, but I always read the recaps and comments, and they are a delight to read--more entertaining than the show itself! Thanks again to everyone for hanging in there!
 

Oy, what's with JM telling AJ he would kiss her hands etc.?! I guess it's in character, but any other fool would know that will only encourage her.
 

Julia – thank you for explaining about where Mari’s room is. I wonder why she’s so often at the top of the stairs then.

The granny/JM scene was very moving. I wish our writers (and all telenovela writers) would get the hint that something interior and deeply felt like this touches the viewers more than dire things like splashy accidents, violence, or somebody lying in the hospital with beepers going.

Maybe the fall will cure Mari. Remember how in the old days, you could fix your TV by just hitting it?

Thank you all for your skunk sympathy. This is the third skunking for our little Ziggy. What we used to clean him up was the peroxide & baking soda trick and it works wonders. Today he smells all perfumy from his conditioner and we can just smell skunk on him around his eyes where we didn’t dare put the solution. Thank you Waterloolu for putting it out there for everyone.

We are a few blocks from L.A.’s tall mountains and we get the usual wildlife: possums, skunks and raccoons. Since Ziggy is only about 12 pounds, we have to keep our eyes peeled for hawks and owls too. But what was really scary was that a coyote appeared in our back yard last week. They are plentiful around here, but it had to hopscotch through our neighbors’ backyards to get here, which we had never expected one to do. It cleared our 6-foot fence in a single bound. Of course their diet is rodents and small pets, so we were very shaken.
 

Maggie, I'm glad little Ziggy is doing better. Coyotes are also a concern here in Massachusetts. A few weeks ago I saw one prancing around the neighborhood at 11 in the morning. So much for noctural visits. Diana in MA
 

Maggie, you'll just always have to be with him when you take him outside. We have coyotes here also in RI, but the critter that is making a comeback that is really nasty is the fisher. Had one in my woods chasing my neighbor's cat. Thankfully my husband was outside and the fisher took off. They are from the weasel family. Nasty, like AJ!
 

Thanks for the recap Maggie. I'm glad to know you know how to tackle the skunk problem.

I wonder how long Amador will be unable to move or speak. I hope they start bringing in the other characters.
 

Diana – we always go outside and keep an eye on Ziggy because of the hawk/owl issue. But I never expected some carnivore to come leaping over the fence. Scary thought.

Violet – what is a fisher??

Thank you all for your concern!
 

Maggie,

If you google fisher or fisher cat, you'll see a picture of one. Like a big weasel. They are vicious and actually can eat a porcupine! Their screech is so horrible and chilling. I hear them sometimes at night.
 

Violet - oh wow! I'm going to Google it.. Thanks!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder