Friday, August 07, 2009

MEPS, Thursday, August 6, 2009, Everybody Loves Franco, Cap. 117

Cam is working on Lovely’s leg when she notices the wound inflicted by Erika. He wants to stay so that she can heal him. She tries to call her uncle while he smooches on her shoulders.
She looks like she may weaken and fall into his trap.

The inane conversation between Steve, Fernanda/Damian and Franco/Erika goes on. I have trouble understanding Steve’s Spanish. Gardenia looks on jealously. Damian asks Franco what he thinks about living in the U.S. Erika really hadn’t thought about it. Fernanda looks on painfully. Damian kisses Fernanda, and she pretends to smile and then looks at Franco. This scene is all about the unsaid. Lucky us, we can read minds.

Meanwhile, back at departmento Camilo, he is in full make-love mode and is trying to convince Lovely to reciprocate. She throws down the phone and they start to get down to business. Cam asks her if she will be his.

Erika suggests that the four of them go on a trip together. Franco looks like he just ate a live bird. She wants to go to Saint Thomas. Damian asks Fernanda’s opinion. She gives him a look. That must be her answer. Dinner is served. The bocaditos on the coffee table look good.

Artemio Bravo is happy that Lili is interested in the diary. He shows her a dried flower that he found in the diary – in the middle of the love story. Even though he is warning her that it is a love story, it is about to turn into a horror story. Lili, he says, I am about to let you know my secrets so why don’t you let me know your secrets. For example why did you say that Eduardo Juarez is alive? She cringes.

The magnificent five remark that the food is delicious. Fer and Franco have eyes only for each other, even though Damian has staked out his territory and Gardenia looks on wistfully. Franco tells them that it is impossible to take a trip now because of Power Milk’s business. He asks the pardon of Damian and Fernanda. She looks like she’s eating bugs. Damian declares that what Franco just said is brilliant. Damian wants to follow Franco’s example. He repeats his earlier wish that he and Fernanda have a baby. There is pain all around the table.

At Casa Wierdo, Artemio asks Lili a question. Ciro tells her everything is OK. She repeats that Eduardo is alive and will come for her. Ciro tells her not to answer the question as to Eduardo’s whereabouts. She just repeats the name Eduardo and looks crazily around the room, confusing Artemio Bravo.

Gonzo is eating breakfast when Barb in her Babe Barbie black dress enters the room and ends a call with Santi who advises her that there is no new news. She asks Gonzo’s permission to help Santi find Aurora. Only one thing – whatever relates to his children, they do together. They will unite forces, fighting shoulder to shoulder. She thought bubbles – “ You old fool, neither you or anybody else will interfere with my plans.”

Aurora is still praying when the Lying Nun enters and asks her if she feels better. She wants to know if the child’s father is Santiago Elizalde – she says Santiago, yes, but not Santiago. He won’t believe that it is his child. Madre is sure Santi won’t abandon her. Aurora insists that what she has done is not pardonable. He is going to reject her because she and Santi’s brother did the deed. Flashback to Camilo disrobing Aurora.

Cam asks Lovely if the wine is ready yet, and how about you, are you ready, too. She says she is preparing the first wedding present. What Abdul Hassan knows. No, she says, you will be the first. She comes in wearing a stripper’s bridal outfit, complete with garter belt, stockings, a short white jacket, bustier and bride’s veil. She throws the bouquet to him.

Aurora can’t explain to the mother superior what happened or why. It happened when she took the drops that Camilo gave her. They made her feel strange and she became dizzy. In that moment she fell into Hell. Madre wants to know if Camilo is the baby’s father. She says, no, madre, I am sure that Santiago is the baby’s father.

Cam can’t keep his hands and eyes off Lovely. She has a question. After we make love, are you going to marry me. What the Hell, he says.

Back at the dull dinner, Steve makes a phone call. He gets Lovely’s voice mail. Steve looks at his watch and looks worried.

Camilo asks Lovely what craziness she is thinking. Cam starts throwing out all kinds of lines of BS, like you don’t believe in me. She is going to be truthful. She’s only interested in getting married and he just wants sex. She wants a wedding and he wants to carry me to bed. She runs her hands up and down her body. She is really working it.

Pris ponders what is to happen if Fer is having anything to do (an affair) with Franco Santoro. She’s looking for anything in Fer’s room. Maybe a letter, anything, a photograph. She feels like a vulgar thief, betraying her friend. What if Fer spills the beans to Anibal, she thinks. The future of her child hangs by a thread (un hilo).

The new improved Gardenia who obviously spent a week in New York as a guest of What Not to Wear is setting up the coffee tray in the kitchen. She looks beautiful. Steve asks her if she received a message from Lovely for him. She says no. She calls them (Camilo and company) facilotas. I assume by the way she said the word, that it they are “easy” people and put out, if you know what I mean.

Gardenia is looking for a big spoon and puts a ladle full of sugar in one of the cups. She stirs it when Steve returns and asks her if something is wrong. She says, no, but he doesn’t believe her.

Erika goes forth on her opinion that marriage is un mortajo. Did I get that right? She said a shroud? Damian says that she and Franco will enjoy life. Gardenia makes sure that Franco gets the cup. He takes a sip and gives her a look.

Camilo is still talking to Lovely. He wants to know what agreement they will have. She says it will be a secret accord. He says – hidden from Steve. She says, yes. She will give him what he wants.

Franco asks Gardenia what is the meaning of the sweetened coffee. He wants to know why she served him that coffee. What do you want me to say. That is your love. Sweetened by force. Go on, she says, to your guests. He wants to know why she thinks that. You are going to marry that woman, making you unhappy. You deserve better, not that Erika. This love isn’t real. She cries.

Dinner is over and the guests are ready to leave. Erika goes to the kitchen to get Franco. At least, says Gardenia, it should be Fernanda. But she’s married. Gardenia says it’s a loveless marriage. Rich people don’t marry for love. He says it’s not always for money. Erika is ready to leave and for them to say good night to Damian and Fernanda. On the way out, Franco embraces Gardenia’s shoulder.

Damian gives thanks to Franco and says he and his wife are happy. Fer says good night to Franco. Surely everyone can feel the heat, except Damian, maybe, because he’s got his mind on a crutch and phone he likes to abuse.

Cam finally asks Lovely what do you want. She says I want to be free. We can marry and she won’t be dependent on her uncle and then they can divorce. She offers him 50% of her fortune. He will get his freedom back when they divorce. The lizard smirks. Finally, Steve gets through to Lovely. Steve wants to know how things are going. She tells him everything is under control. Steve doesn’t want Cam to touch her under any circumstances.

Steve asks Venus not to forget their deal – no sex with Camilo. She tells Steve not to worry. She tells Cam that she has to leave. Some other time she tells Cami. Cami looks like he is in great pain. She lights the fire under the water, but doesn’t take a bath, he thinks.

Erika is so happy that Franco is a gentleman and takes her home. She questions him and says she felt something strange at the dinner. He asks to what does she refer. Didn’t you notice that Fer was very strange.

Damian tells Fer that Franco is in love with Erika. You think that too. Yes, she says. You are wrong. Why. He asks her if something is happening between her and Franco. Please, she says. Peque, come here. I still feel doubt. He wants to show her how much he loves her. He wants her to know that what they said is true. What – that we are going to have a baby.

Franco says to Erika that you have known Fernanda since childhood. She says, yes, you two work together. Didn’t you notice something. No, says he. Erika feels a slight sadness about Fernanda. She then gushes on about how great it would be if Fer and Damian had a baby. That is a painful thought for Franco.

Fer says no to Damian and he wants to know why. She is indisposed. What is it. Making love is for two, and I don’t feel the conditions. When have there been conditions. I told you I married for life. But right now I am worried about many things and she still needs time. Damian tells her he feels like leaving the house and looking for what he wants elsewhere. He is going to wait for her forever. He knows that what is happening will pass. He needs her and loves her.

Aurora flashes back to a time when she and Santi made love. She says that even though she’ll never see him again, he’ll always be the love of her life.

Just at that moment Santi returns home to Barb’s arms or spider web or whatever a hyena’s house is called. She asks him if there is news about Aurora. He tells her that nobody in Purification has seen her. Barb promises to help him in every way. He looks incredulous.

Franco returns to Las Animas and Gardenia is waiting for him. She now wants an answer. He says let’s go to the office. No, here is good enough. You can’t marry someone like Erika. (Si te espere levantada es no mas pa que me digas se es que cuando te las das de recachon no mas te puedes casar con gente de ese rodada.)

Meanwhile, Fer dreams about Franco and their bright and shining afternoon at the country house when they kissed and laughed. She tells herself that she has to forget about Franco and resume her life with Damian.

Franco asks Gardenia not to be so hard on him since she knows what he is trying to do. She understands, but you know I love you and that you can’t be in love with Erika. Marriage with Erika has nothing to do with love. Why don’t you marry me – I love you. Fortunately, Lovely has returned home. Lovely asks about Steve who has probably gone to bed. Lovely says that she’s going to bed too (planchar oreja). Franco asks her how she is doing and how everything is going with Camilo. She says better than they could have imagined. He sounds a little suspicious. She says she is falling in love with Camilo.

Santi says he doesn’t know where to look now. He questions Barb about the man who allegedly took Aurora away. She asks where in the village he looked. He tells her he went to Dominga’s house and nobody was there. Barb says “Dominga.” She wants to know about Aurora’s father. Santi tells her that Aurora has no family and that she never knew her father. Barb asks about Aurora’s mother. He says Aurora knew just a little. Barb starts to cry and looks scared.

Avances: Gardenia’s love for Eduardo becomes more intense and Steve warns him about the dangers of this type of love.

Barb grabs Lili by the hair and wants information about Eduardo Juarez.

Someone please post this for me. Anybody know how many love triangles we have so far?

Labels:


Comments:
Good morning Paso. What a delligtful recap. Especially liked "Franco looks like he ate a live bird" and "caso weirdo". Great descriptions both.

Will post it for you. I have to disable my "internet protected mode" to tag it, then put it back on. Maybe this is what's happening to you also.
 

JudyB: Thank you. I don't know how to post to the sidebar. If you have some simple directions, please let me know.
 

Okay...true confession. My kids (adult children actually) set it up for me. When Melinama sent me the "invitation" that connected me to the software, then we looked at delicious bookmarks site and there was something about "tags". And now I've got a "tag" icon on my computer page for CarayCaray.

I read the recap and go down to "permalink" at the end of it and click on that. It takes me to a different page and I then click on "tag". A little box shows up that has the title of your recap on it and there's a blank space. As soon as I hit "m" Mundo and Mañana show up. I click Mañana and then hit "save". And it's done.

Maybe one of your adult chidren can set it up for you. I know NOTHING about computers but fortunately my children have been patient and helpful.
 

Someone who is REALLY good at computer instruction is "Paula". If all else fails, I bet she could coach you through it through a series of e-mails. SHE IS AN AWESOME TEACHER.
 

Great recap Pasofino. I missed parts because I was trying to clean and watch at the same time. What a sad and tense dinner. Fer looked funny...I can't put my finger on it. Was it the hair or the makeup? I'm not sure. Not her usual self. That pie cart seriously needs to pick up some speed. I can't stand Dam. Gardenia is playing a dangerous game. Fr/Ed needs to be careful. he might be having boiled rabbit for dinner if he doesn't watch out.

Steve was really upset about not reaching Loafly. How can she be in love with Cami? He gives me the creeps soooooo bad.
 

Pasofino, great recap.

Connie, I agree with you about Fer. She didn't look her best. I think you're right that it was her hair. She brushed the bangs back. It was too severe.

Ann-NYC
 

I thought her makeup was funny too. I liked the dress.
 

Hello all you earlybirds. Pasofino~~~Thanks for that fine, detailed recap of a very uncomfortable episode. Hmmm...where to begin ? First, let me just say, bllech bblleecchh bbbllleeeccchhh ...Those scenes of Cad putting the moves on Loafly made my skin crawl. Also, you gave a perfect description when you described Loafly's costume as a stripper's bridal ensemble. PPlleeaassee...How could she possibly be falling in love with that smarmy varmint ? I always feel like I should take a long shower after he's been on the screen. Can you tell that I'M not falling in love with him ? Also, this show is giving me so many great catch phrases to use in my own personal vida. Earlier, it was Any?b's ''I'M THE DECIDER.'' Tonight it was ''I fell into hell.'' That's a keeper. Well, it looks like DDenia has finally turned a corner and has realized that if she can't have Ed, he should be with his Onetruelove. Another tip I got last night was that if you want to get someone's attention [or throw him or her into diabetic shock] you should put a ladle of sugar into his/her coffee. I'll have to remember that tip.~~~Susanlyunn, off to check her supply of sugar
 

p.s. Pasofino~~I laughed when I read the part about Fr'ed looking as if he had swallowed a live bird because while I was watching , I thought that his expression seemed to say ''I think I swallowed a bug.''
 

I missed the sugar. I thought she put some of her Love Potion in there. What was the point exactly?
 

Connie~~~I'm not sure. I thought she did it just so Fr'ed would come into the kitchen to ask ''Que the hell is going on , Gardenia?'' and she could get him alone and read him the riot act about his plan to marry Erika. I think she's given up on The Love Potion #9. p.s. I wish Er would give us some kind of warning before she gives one of her signature highspirited pep rally screams. I think I spilled a little of my overly sweetened coffee on my jammies.
 

That's ok Susanlynn, I almost choked on my angel hair pasta! I hate thet squeal she makes. Everyone looks at her like WTF is wrong with you?
 

Every time she makes that noise I expect her to junp into the middle of the floor with her pom poms....READY?! OK.....

Stronger than steel,
Hotter than the sun;
Franco won't stop,
'til he gets the job done

;P
 

Someone please tell Dami he can make those crutches longer. He will be forever twisted in half if he doesn't do it soon!
 

Thanks, Paso, great recap.

What a horrid dinner "party". I am so tired of that twit Errorika and her giddyness. How can she be sooo enthusiastic about the whole farse when Franco is luke-cool to her? I am glad that our Gardenia seems to have given up the "prize". Her loyalty to Eddy won't allow her to lose to anyone but Fernanda, and she's going down as vehemently opposing the idiota Errorika. Yes, the sugar was just a ploy to get him in to the kitchen where she could put her cards on the table. My thought is, now is she going to try to facilitate the Eddy/Fer link?

Is Loafly falling for Cad, or just a bit horny? or thinking that a maariage to him would somehow better herself. I can't read what's going on there. Estif's constant reminder that there isn't to be any hanky-panky portends a disaster for his plan, and I hope she doesn't do the deed, gawd, I hope not...
 

I just watched the Eduardo/Garnedia scenes again. I have to revise what I said about her not giving up- she hasn't. We'll see more of what she has in mind tonite, I think. One thing I did notice, when she talks to Eduardo, ella le tutea; when she talks to "Santrito", regardless the circumstance, habla de "Usted".
 

Thanks, Paso, for the great recap. I bet Gardenia's not going to bathe for a month after Fr/Ed's "embrace" of her shoulder. I know I wouldn't!

I was surprised at the end to see Barbie shed what seemed to be genuine tears, rather than the ones she usually manufactures when she needs them. What brought on the tears was Santi's response to Barbara's very hesitant question about what Aurora knew of her mother. He had already said that Aurora knew nothing about her father. When Barbara asked, "and what about her mother," Santi replied "tampoco," which I understood to mean she knew nothing about her either.
 

Pasofino: Terrific recap of the painful, pitiful, pathetic party.

Both Fernanda and Venus seem to be giving up all hope...Ack.

So disappointed there is absolutely no romance to celebrate in any of this.

When are things going to turn around? Things are way too bleak...

Diana in MA
 

Pasofino, thanks for a great recap - I would have been lost without your help on last night's episode.

Fernando's makeup was all wrong - it was much too dark and made her look strange but I did like the dress.

I like DDenia more and more, she is the only one that speaks her mind - damn the torpedos. No beating about the bushes for her. She has a lovely face without all of that hair.

Barbwire was messing with her hair again - is that a signal?

I cannot abide Erika - she needs to grow up. She doesn't understand that Franco just isn't into her. I would leave skid marks if my intended treated me like that. There is absolutely no chemistry. Maybe she needs to see the Primary Care Bruja.

Poor Lovely is lovely when she is Venus. Wake up Esteve!

rsk
 

Ain't that the truth, Diana? Something has to turn around, if only comic relief.
 

Do you think Loafly might be trying to make Esteve jealous? She doesn't seem the type to play that game but you never know. I'm afraid Cami is going to get ticked off and try to force himself on her. But I think Loafly can take care of herself if that should happen.
 

Fer was wearing more makeup than usual, and it was less natural-looking than she usually wears it.

I thought the stuff in the coffee was love potion, or maybe love potion mixed with sugar, but I have to admit that it wouldn't have made sense for her to keep love potion in the sugar bowl for everyone else to put in their coffee too.

Maybe she read someplace that putting too much sugar in a man's coffee will make him fall in love with you, but it seems more likely that she just wanted to lure him into the kitchen to talk to him.
 

Pasofino, thanks for this great recap. Your clever descriptions brighten up a rather dreary almost depressing episode. Nobody's getting any satisfaction. Like it or not gang, DD seems to be the only one heading in any semblance of the right direction. She certainly laid it all out for Eddie. The first order of business is to derail these two inevitably disastrous weddings. Oh yeah, and maybe rescue Lil, though for the moment she seems no worse off with Artie than she was at the condo.

Carlos
 

You know, it was very weird that Esteve kept saying "Camilo Elizalde" when he on the phone with Venus. Which other Camilo would he have been talking about??

I was relieved when Erika remarked to FrEd that Fer seemed strange. Of course, she is still totally clueless if she thinks it's a great idea for Fer and Dam to have a baby, not to mention that she's failed to notice all of Fer's previous "strangeness" already, but at least she finally noticed SOMETHING.
 

Great recap Pasafino, thanks. As always, the recaps (and comments), closed several holes for me. For example, I also wondered what was the purpose of the sugar in the coffee. I even wondered if it weren't meant for Erika since she hates her so much. No matter how well meant Gardenias advice to Eddie, she chose an inappropriate time and way of getting it across. Nice guy Fr'ed turns a blind eye to her loose cannon behavior. I loved the "strippers bridal outfit" comment as well as "the lying nun enters"
Two late entry remarks I neglected to make is 1) During the discussion about whether or not Camilo had raped Aurora, a couple of commenters said the they could understand her not wanting to turn brother against brother by telling Santiago. IMHO a rape should never be concealed. 2) No matter how much we dislike Camilo I dislike physical violence as much. If I were Camilo and Erika had struck me in the face with her ring, she wouldn't get away with it that easy. Women striking men is just as wrong as men striking women (well almost)-: Now, I feel better.
 

Has anyone been watching Mujeres Asesinas well last night the actress who plays Gardenia from MEPS was on it. I really am enjoying Mujeres Asesinas because it's so different from the usual novelas. As Gardenia move on Franco will not come around.
 

Thanks for the recap, Pasofino.

Gardenia thinks Eduardo should marry HER, because she loves him. But Erika also loves Ed (or Franco). We just favor Gardenia in this matchup, because Erika has that obnoxious shriek. But as long as Fr/Ed can't marry Fernanda, it's probably strategically better for him to marry Erika than Gardenia. Of course the whole idea is silly, anyway, and I'm not sure Gardenia cares about Ed's "strategy".

Barbara is really getting crazier each episode. She really hates just about everybody, wants revenge on Artemio, has no allies, screwed up with Aurora, and at times her expression isn't too far from those villains who end up in mental hospitals, laughing and cackling endlessly. Maybe that will be her fate (although I think that's not harsh enough for what she's done).
 

Babs reacted to Dominga's name. I wonder if Dominga was an aunt, or maybe Babs's own nana.
 

Great recap, Pasofino.

At first I also thought the ladle full of sugar was meant for Erika, but I think she said to Fr/Ed that she gave him an excess of sweetness to show him that that's what he was setting himself up for. I interpreted that to mean Erika's constant cooing and stroking.

Gardenia was at her best last night, in all respects. She looked so lovely with her hair that way. And she was sincere and completely honest with Fr/Ed, not coquettish or petulant as she often is. She is giving him good advice; marriage to Erika would be a disaster. But the avances make it sound like the love is going to turn more obsessive and less unselfish as the novela goes forward.
 

Did I see in the advances that Babs snatches Lili by the hair and flings her around? (I hope not.) I was running around and just caught the tail end of that.
 

Got to watch it finally. Erika quoted a common Spanish saying "Matrimonio y mortaja del cielo baja".

Some maintain that means marriage is deadly!

But I think the accepted meaning is that both marriage and our eventual death are in God's hands...as are all our destinies.

Anyway, I've always found it a rather strange saying.
 

Alice, I too abhorr violence. Having said that, he desrves whatever Err can throw at him, remember the beating he gave her the day of the wedding? He has suffered no consequences for that criminal assault. Compound that with the further criminal sexual assault on Abora, and he deserves even worse. I'll wager that we haven't seen the last of his malice.

Noelera- I completely agree on Denia at her best. Completely honest, and full of good advice. Also abosolutely gorgeous, she put the other girls in the also-ran catergory. One might question her motives, but not her sincerity or feelings.

I'm wondering if Babs ends up being absolutamente loca before she gets hers...
 

DDave, you "luke-cool" comment about Erika made me think of another Luke that works for them "what we've got here is a failure to communicate!"

Denia looked wonderful. I love the hair up or down though. If I had a main like that, I would wear it out and curly all the time!

This show seriously needs some romance and something light-hearted.
 

I was wondering how long it took someone to braid it like that. I would think curly hair would be harder because it wants to curl and stick out. I got cornrows in Mexico and it took 2 women 2 hours to do it. It was pretty awesome when it was done.
 

Can't remember if this was on the "loose ends" list or not. But I'm convinced the real Franco Santoro has gotta turn up before this is over. Hard to say if he'll affect the plot or not. The pueblo nearest the hacienda where he left his ID is not exactly a big city. He was there for a reason and likely to return.

By the way, the geography in this one is nearly as confusing as FELS. Sometimes they appear in the pueblito with the burned down "Big Cups" cantina. Other times they appear in the high rise Grupo Lactos building, in all cases arriving within 5 minutes of leaving the hacienda.
 

Thanks Pasofino! Great recap!

I thought Artemio's second question to Lili had something to do with Soledad. Ciro told her not to answer. I'm not sure I heard that correctly, however.

Speaking of Soledad, was it determined that she and Ana Gregoria were sisters? or just neighborhood friends? I'm thinking just friends, or there would be implications of Fr/ed and Arty being first cousins?

Jane
 

Susanlynn: I hope Lovely is pretending to be in love with Cad so that she can get Steve's attention.

Connie: The sugar was a wake-up call to Ed.

Dorado Dave: I'm going to have to listen more carefully to Denia when she talks to Ed or Franco.
 

Juanita: Right you are.

Julie: That was the biggest sugar bowl I have ever seen.

Alice: We value your opinion.

JudyB: Thanks for the translation.
 

Novelera: We do have a lot of loose ends in this story.

Jane: We think Soledad and Ana Gregoria were just friends.
 

Thanks everyone for clearing up the suger question. It would have been less noticible if she had just handed out the coffee instead of saying "this one is your" and making a big deal out of it.
 

I'll never understand this tutear stuff. Anybody out there who can explain to me why kindly ol' Gepetto addresses his daughter Martina as "usted?"

--El Pelón
 

El Pelon: I hope a native speaker will eventually answer your question. Anyway, usted is used with everybody except you family, close friends and acquaintances. However, I have heard that parents will "usted" their children just to keep a little distance and to maintain respect.

DDenia calls Ed, a childhood friend, tu. But, she calls Franco Santoro usted since he's her boss and not a family friend, relative, etc.

Other opinions welcome.
 

I tried to nail down the rules of tuteando a few years ago and quickly gave up. The "rules" (more like customs) vary very widely not only between Spanish-speaking countries, but even regionally.

My ex-boss's daughter visited Honduras last year, where she said everyone addressed everyone else (family, coworkers, authority figures, strangers) as "usted." However, I have read that in Spain (I don't know if everywhere in Spain or just in cities or what), it's almost rude to address even a stranger as "usted." They prefer to use the informal in virtually every case.

You can search the forum on wordreference.com for more discussions. Just search on tutear.

Fortunately, if it is obvious that you are not a native speaker, people will probably cut you some slack.
 

Molly- that is one of the most memorable lines of all time, from a movie, anyway. Another, from the same actor, I believe, is from Butch Cassidy. He saidafter years in Bolivia that you get "colorful", and the next instant a bandito's bullet blasts him off his horse.

Pasofino- good explanation of Ud/tu, precisely as I see it. And as Julie said, they aren't rules, at all, and it varies from place to place. I've had guys that I was supervising tutear me, but that's the way I'd want it. Also, a few places- Nicaragua (where I learned Spanish), parts of other Central American countries, and even parts of Chile, "vos" is used in place of "tu", with its own distict verb conjugation. Referred to as "vosear".
 

Dave: I just finished watching an Argentinian movie with titled translated as "Live-In Maid". The word "vos" was used extensively.
 

In Pobre Millonaria, one particular character, a criminal, said "sos" multiple times. Word Reference says it's the equivalent of 'eres' in Central America. Just to make things a little more complicated...
 

The point I was making about the "criminal" was that I had originally thought maybe "sos" was substandard Spanish (i.e. bad grammar). Nobody else used that word. But it appears to be in common use.
 

Thanks all very much. It's always been a challenge for me. When I was in Spain, they looked at me like I was from another planet if I used Usted. There it was either tú or vosotros.

In Mexico, it seems to me they no longer use it in families. I know children used to use it with their parents. But it completely threw me to hear Martina's father use it with her. Maybe it was an antiquated way of speaking, and they wanted to portray him as rural or rustic. I don't know.

Anyway, thanks' Y'all.

El Pelón
 

I saw 2 light bulb moments tonight. One is Santiago, perhaps he is thinking that Babs could be Aurora's madre? Did anyone else think Babs was surprised that Dominga was dead?

The other is Erika, her friend Fernanda is acting strange & Erika knows there was another woman, I think she is on the verge of putting the pieces together.

Gardenia asked Eduardo why not marry her. She doesn't want him to marry someone he doesn't love & she wants him to marry her? Gardenia is prejudice against the
ricachónes (filthy, stinking rich), and thinks Eduardo should marry someone in the class of his roots. Pobre Gardenia, money talks & can move you up in class. She did look lovely last night.

Damian giving Fernanda a bite of the same food she was eating, WTF?
I guess just to show she is his.

I don't think Loafly is in love with Camilo, I think that was for Esteve's benefit. Hadn't noticed this with anyone else before, but Loafly really did say E steve, a well pronounced Spanish E.

There are plenty of triangles here, but pobrecito Fr/Ed is in a quadrangle, Fernanda, Erika & Gardenia, plus all the women here.
 

Ciro told Lili not to answer when Artemio asked where Eduardo was.

It seems to me Ana Gregoira & Soledad are servants at the hacienda.

My Spanish teacher, una Cubana, says the Cubans tutear everyone, even those they just met, they are just very friendly people. I guess it depends on the country.

Pasofina, "Live in Maid" is on my week-end viewing list, how was it?
 

Did anyone think that everyone just having dinner & leaving a little strange, uncommon for the españoles. There is a cita
"Comida hecha, amistad deshecha" used to censure anyone that eats & runs.

It would have been great if they all sat around drinking tequila & getting high, we need to get the love & sex going.
 

What I really want to know is, what kind of mascara do these women use? No matter how much they cry, NONE of them ever have runny mascara! Even Babs, who is wearing tons of eye makeup, never looks like a racoon after a crying jag. Must be extra heavy-duty waterproof stuff. I want some.
 

Variopinta: "Live in Maid" is a terriffic story with a lot of irony. However, the Spanish is very difficult to follow. I'm glad I saw it - I watch Spanish language movies to keep my ear in tune, but this one would not be on my see-again list for language practice.
 

I know what you mean, xlntperuvian. I want to know where I can get some of that mascara.
 

Re: "vos"-

As I said, the pronoun"ovs" has its own conjugation. "sos" is the present tense conjugation- "vos sos" is used in place of "tu eres". Most regular verbs simply replace the infinitive's termina "r" with an "s", like in regular Spanish, but the last sylable is accented. With most irregular verbs, it's the same construction, instead of "tu pienses", it's "vos pensas'". Or "tu juegas" becomes "vos jugas'". Did that make sense to anyone? It's actually simpler than regular Spanish.
 

Dave: It makes sense and it's simple. That's probably why it's harder to understand.
 

DDave, thanks a lot. I encounter this all the time in my reading as well as in movies. I understand it fine though I've never bothered to learn to use it. Now I can.

I was dismayed to see Babs abusing Lil. However I'm consoled by the knowledge that the meek Lil can become a true fiera when even mildly provoked, especially by the Barbinator.
 

What Pasofino said. I appreciate the simple elegance, but now it's just gonna confuse me. ;-) Anyway, if they still have some irregular verbs, and those verbs are irregular in a different way than in Mexico (like "sos," for example!), it's even worse!

If "pensas" instead of "piensas" is legit, that explains why I thought the guy's "accent" was so bad... it wasn't an accent!
 

Just pipeping in quickly to say I think in keeping with the telenovela custom of changing hair styles to indicate change of character's character --- the hat substitutes for hair style change.

I love hats so I don't mind getting a look at what is current or quirky. And I thought Lovely Venus looked cute.
 

Hi everyone. I'm watching Monday's episode, got a bit behind. I read the recap but it said Obregon says Barbara will pay. Did he not say Eduardo will learn a lesson too? I replayed a couple of times, but not sure if that's what he was saying. Anyone remember from all the way back to Monday? Thanks
 

Thanks for the last two recaps, Jody and Pasofino. Very helpful and entertaining.
Denia looked lovely with her hair braided and her "folkloric" dress.
I feel like the plot and we viewers are being twisted tighter and tighter. Something has to give soon.
La Paloma
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder