Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Amor Monday, September 28, 2009: Carlota has a nice day

Friday we saw Carlota in her doily swearing she was going to make Mac’s life one big long screaming nightmare. As if she hadn’t already.

And sure enough tonight here is Rufi helping sobbing Mac into a chair in the kitchen. Mac wails how could she? and Rufi throws a prayer heavenward that Paloma will forgive Mac.

In her room, Paloma has her photo album of her parents open and is sobbing while she looks at the photos. Mac pounds on her door, begging to see her. Flipped out Paloma screeches I don’t want to see you! Don’t call me hija! Leave me alone! Across the hallway, Carlota leans on her own doorway and smiles smugly. Mac shakes her head at her and gives up.

Padre Chris is about to get in a car and leave, but Inez and Elisa (another church lady) spot him loading his suitcase and they run over in a panic that he’s leaving permanently. He assures them he’ll be back in a few days. Carry on ladies, he says, and they say okay, relieved.

Paloma on her hands and knees with her elbows poking up and her face practically buried in the carpet looks like one of those horror movies where a person is about to turn into a giant insect. She remembers Mac explaining that she gave Paloma away so she could have a stable family life. It looks maybe a little lightbulb has gone off in her head. She jumps up and runs out of her room.

Mac in her room is praying ayudame to the Virgin. Paloma comes in and Mac is thrilled, but Paloma is on a mission. She wants to know who her father is. Tell me! Mac just looks distressed. Tell her, Mac!

We can only dream.

Mac says he was the love of her life, but now he doesn’t belong to the world of men. ( I was worried Paloma would think he’d had one of those operations, but apparently Paloma is too pure to think of that.) You mean he’s dead? she wails. Mac nods yes.

What was his name? Paloma demands. Mac says it’s not important now, and it’s better you should think of Javier as your father. Paloma’s not settling for that, though. She starts frantically rummaging through Mac’s things, looking for the Box of Secrets and the photo she knows was in there. She finds the box, opens it and… empty. She goes nuts.

I tore up the photo, Mac swears. Paloma screeches that Mac’s secrets are now her secrets too and she wants to know his name. Mac says he was a wonderful man, a man who loved her as much as she loved him. You are the child of that love, Mac says.

Paloma: Why did he leave then?

Mac: He didn’t know you were on the way.
.
P: Why didn’t you marry?

M: We wanted to. We would have made a family and been so happy and he would have given you so much love.

P (sobbing) Then why…?

M: Destiny separated us and that’s why I had to do what I did. I’m sorry, that’s all I can tell you about your father.

Well, this should keep us busy for a number of episodes.

Inez is on the phone with Diana, telling her that having Romina in the house probably isn’t a good plan. It could lead to ….things. Like what? Diana wants to know. Inez says like intimacy between Em and Romina. Diana says that would be great! Inez is shocked and says but they’re not married. Diana scoffs and says you weren’t stuffy like that when you sang in the cabaret. Inez says that was just singing.

Diana arranges herself on the couch says believe me, I’m not sorry about any of the men I’ve had in my life. And you know what? Orlando was the best. Inez says oooo! Would you go to bed with him again? Diana says I sure would, but he probably hates me. But we could really catch fire. Inez says and Rafa? Diana says, well, sure, if he drops by for a conjugal visit. We women have that power you know, we just have to know how to use it.

If Romina can seduce Emiliano, she says, all the better. She’s really rich and one thing this family definitely lacks is money. And if I help her, she’ll reward me well, I’m sure.

That was fun, but now it’s back to Paloma, still unglued. She wants to know what Mac is hiding and why she won’t tell her at least her father’s name. Mac says what I want is for us to talk now, so that you understand that what I did was out of love. Paloma wails don’t you understand that in one moment my whole world exploded? That everything I believed isn’t true?

M: I know it’s hard for you, and for me too.

P: Please don’t tell me half-truths – tell me everything. Who was my father? If you don’t tell me, I won’t forgive you! I won’t talk to you until you tell me! I have to know! You didn’t just abandon me at birth, you abandoned me when I most needed you – when I thought I was an orphan when my parents died. I really could have used a mother then!

M: But then we were closer than ever.

P: As my aunt – and you let Carlota be my guardian.

Mac stutters about the will, and how there was nothing she could do.

P: (yelling) Of course there was! You could have fought for me, no matter what the will said.

M: Carlota wouldn’t have let me.

P: As my mother, you would have more rights. You let her mistreat me! Why did you do so little? You abandoned me twice!

Carlota is out in the hallway, not even having to press her ear to the door since Paloma is shouting. She smiles her smug Carlota smile.

P: You have never loved me as a daughter.

M: Yes, I always did, just in silence!

P: And when were you thinking of telling me? Never, right? If it hadn’t been for Tia Carlota, I never would have found out, right? Don’t expect me to regard you as a mother now!

Out in the hallway, Carlota is gleeful.

Camila is in Orlando’s office’s waiting room. He’s surprised to see her there. She reports that she was able to talk to Romina and she needs to talk to Angelica to get her head straight, apparently not paying attention to the fact that Angelica is at work. But doting Orlando doesn’t mind and says she’ll be out in a minute.

Now Paloma is weeping over a picture of her parents. Why didn’t you tell me? It’s all so clear now that I think of it. She has a sepia flashback to a childhood talk with Mac when she asked Mac why she didn’t have any children and Mac told her I don’t need anybody but you. You are my only hija. Paloma says we’ll play pretend that you are my mother.

Carlota cuts into this loving scene telling little Paloma to go take a bath. After she leaves, Mac says why don’t you like us to show affection? Carlota says just because. And because you’ll confuse her and I don’t want her to forget that Sagrario was her mother. You agreed! Paloma overhears this and comes in and says What did you agree to? Why do I have to remember that? Mac says because everyone has just one mother.

Wow, Paloma sure has a good memory.

Now Paloma picks up a picture of her and Mac and sobs Why? Why did you let Carlota treat me so mean when I was little? Why didn’t you stand up to her? Why?

Orlando gives Camila some coffee and she fills him in on Romina looking for her dad and he wonders why that’s a problem. Camila says she wants Romina to come home. There’s something about Diana that she doesn’t think she’s the best influence. Orlando offers to help dig up Samuel and says just get the information that Romina has so far. Camila takes him up on it.

She remembers that he had something on his mind when he came by her house last night. What was it? He says oh, nothing pressing. We can talk about it later. He kisses her on the top of her head.

Angelica and Em finish up a work discussion and she asks if he has a new cell, because his mother has been calling the office number. Em is bummed and says he doesn’t want to talk to her – she’s mad at him for leaving the house when Romina came to stay. He fills her in on what happened. He knows his mama would love to have him back with Romina and he just wants to stay out of the whole thing.

Carlota comes into Paloma’s room but Paloma throws herself on her bed and says she doesn’t want to see anybody. Carlota says it’s too bad her parents died – she never would have known the truth. Paloma says she wishes she didn’t know it now.

Carlota tsks that she never was in favor of keeping the secret. The timpani go boom. She says the pain of a deception is horrible. Paloma looks up from her pillows. Carlota says It was hard for me to see her get all your love when she didn’t deserve it.

Paloma says Sagrario and Javier accepted me as a daughter. Carlota says they couldn’t have children, and when Mac wanted to get rid of you, I rebelled. I suggested that they adopt you. Paloma says but my birth certificate doesn’t say anything about me being adopted. Carlota says Sagrario promised to keep the secret. She even went around in maternity clothes while Mac stayed hidden.

Paloma says did Mac ever think of abortion? Carlota says over my dead body! She had done enough bad stuff without committing a crime like that. Only Sagrario, Javier, Rufi and I knew. Oh, and our father. He was so devastated by her pregnancy that he dropped dead of a heart attack. Mac has felt guilty ever since, and in a way she was at fault. And she’s felt guilty sometimes about adopting you out, so she changed herself into your “adorable” aunt.

Come here, my love, says Carlota and Paloma cuddles into her arms. Carlota says ever since you were born, I strove to protect you, to care for you, to save you from the bad influence that Mac was in your life. Everything I did, I did so you would be a good woman, not like her. Paloma’s frown suggests that Carlota may have overplayed her hand.

Nope, I was wrong. Paloma says I hate her. Carlota says I know. Now you can trust only me. I realize I’m not your mother… I just never knew how to show you my love. Paloma clings to her and sobs.
At this juncture it is pleasant to contemplate the gory deaths of previous telenovela villains and to wonder what variation or combination of those await Carlota.

Chris is back at his home church talking to Padre Benito. He says he really didn’t want to leave Real del Monte before he confronted Carlota about everything she did. Padre B doesn’t see how the Carlota thing has anything to do with his big crisis of doubt. Maybe he’s in love? He has to pick: the church or Macarena.

Rufi has brought Mac some tea and is trying to soothe her. Mac says she had no idea that Carlota had so much venom in her that she would even destroy Paloma. Rufi thinks that Paloma will forgive Mac if they just talk. Mac says they already did and it didn’t work. Rufi says give her time to absorb the news. Meantime, say a rosary. Mac takes her rosary in hand and gets down on her knees.

Padre Benito advises Chris that God’s love takes many forms. If it weren’t for Mac, you wouldn’t have become a priest. Chris throws his hands up. Padre B says maybe this is just a test of your vocation. He reminds Chris that it’s been 20 years since his romance with Mac and things tend to get romanticized over time. Chris says I feel like our future was cut off prematurely. Padre M says that future is in the past and don’t forget you’re married to God now. (Is this true? Are priests the Grooms of God?) Who do you love more, God or Macarena? Chris looks exasperated. Padre M says when you know the answer to that, you’ll know what to do.

Romina and Diana are playing Chinese checkers. They gripe about Em – Romina’s sure he blabbed to Camila that she was at Diana’s, and Diana is annoyed that he doesn’t answer her calls. Romina says mine either. I’m going to have to go by the office and find out why he blabbed.

Romina: My mother can be difficult.

Diana: Maybe that’s why your father left?

R: Probably.

D: If you were my daughter I would have done anything to keep your father with you.

R: My mother is all about herself.

D: Do you think they could get back together? Because I’ve heard your mother is going out with someone.

R: I don’t want to talk about him. I can’t stand him. I don’t know what she sees in him.

D: Well, he’s not your father. Don’t you think parents should stay together?

R: Sure.

D: Why don’t you tell Emiliano that you believe a child should do everything to keep its parents together?

Diana says we’re a good team. Romina jumps all of her marbles.

Paloma asks Carlota that since her father was the man that she and Mac were both in love with, can she tell Paloma his name? Carlota says that’s between you and Mac. I don’t want to cause any more pain in this family. I don’t want Mac to hate me. Paloma says I think you two have hated each other for a long time, but sometimes you love each other.

Carlota says you must understand her health is fragile. I don’t want this to end up in a tragedy. Paloma says you should have thought of that before. Carlota says I know. It was just the emotion of the moment. I get so tired of living a lie. Let’s just wait and see if she tells you.

I have to know, begs Paloma. I need to know who I am, where I came from. Carlota is all fake kind saying we have to consider Mac’s health. When she’s better, maybe she’ll speak from the heart without lies.

Angelica and Camila are at the outdoor café. Camila realizes she shouldn’t have pulled Angelica away from her work, but Angelica says Orlando wants to please her. Camila says when they first started going out, she didn’t think anything would come of it, but he’s constantly surprising her. Angelica gets a faraway look in her eye and says what a fine fellow he is. She catches herself and snaps her attention back to Camila.

They get to the point: Samuel. Angelica thinks it’ll be good for Camila to get that resolved and over with. She also thinks Samuel might be wanting to get back together, plus Romina will be wanting the same thing.

Rafa comes into his old house and is surprised to find Romina there. Romina explains and when Diana come into the room, Romina is smart enough to leave them alone. Diana explains that Camila isn’t able to give Romina the support she needs. Rafa says and you can? He drops the subject and says he wants to talk about them. Diana is excited that there will be a reconciliation. He says no way. What’ll it take to buy my freedom?

Romina and Aaron are walking and discussing their plan which doesn’t seem to be working now that Aaron can’t say he and Paloma are novios. Now he has to think of a plan B. They both agree that Paloma is acting a little different lately.

Aaron takes his glasses off, which makes him look like more of a threat. He is seriously interested in Paloma, plus he doesn’t like losing – anymore than you do, he adds. Romina explains that she’s staying at Em’s house and sooner or later he’ll cave. Aaron says good, when he does let me know and I’ll let Paloma know. Then she’ll want payback time.

Diana tells Rafa she made a vow until death do them part and she’s keeping it. Rafa says if you were religious, I’d buy that, but you’re just trying to aggravate me. There’s no love left. Diana says I’m going to be your wife until my dying day. Rafa says there’s ways to get a divorce, and you seem to want to turn it into a fight. Diana says I have ways too. Let’s see who wins.

Em ( the only happy guy tonight, but that’s because he’s clueless) is at work and leaves the umpteenth message on Paloma’s cell. He decides to try the main number at Paloma’s. He gets Rufi who says she can’t get Paloma right then and no, no there’s no problem. He says to tell Paloma it’s about the church thing. Rufi says okay and hangs up. Doesn’t anybody ever say goodbye when they hang up?

German comes up to Romina on the street and gives her a playful hug. He says you know you wanna. Romina says wow, such an ego! German says Lili said the same thing. Wanna go…? Romina says no.

German says he knows she’s staying at Em’s. Romina is surprised but suggests that she and Em had a hot night last night. German laughs and says he knows she’s lying. She keeps up her story. He gives her a kiss and she pushes him away. He says I’m going to Mexico City tomorrow and you could come and we could go to the address where your father was staying. Romina looks serious. German says see you tomorrow.

Rafa and Joel are talking in the office. You know, just regular guy talk. Okay, maybe not, you be the judge. Joel reports that he had a nice time with Monica, but he’s still pretty affected by that whole thing with Sofia. Rafa reports that he talked to Orlando and was really annoyed that Orlando seemed so sure of Camila, plus now Diana won’t give him a divorce. Joel says didn’t you tell me that you kissed her? Rafa says yes, but with no divorce….

Romina bursts into Em’s office, giving him the opportunity to say ¿Qué haces aquí? She’s mad because he doesn’t answer his cell and because he told Diana where she was. He says he’s sorry it upset her, but it was the right thing to do. She says she feels totally betrayed. He says don’t exaggerate. You need to work things out. She comes around his desk and says I need you. He escapes and says it’s obvious we see the things very differently. Romina says that’s why I come see you - I know you’re right. Please don’t turn your back on me. She holds out her hand.

Avances: Paloma rebukes Rufi for keeping the secret. She wishes she were dead and sure enough we see her passed out on a park bench. Em is alerted.

Labels:


Comments:
Good Lord! I'm emotionally exhausted just reading this, Maggie. I wonder how it feels to be an actress in this one....if I had either the Paloma role (50 years ago!) or the Macarena role (30 years ago!) I would have been a wreck and clinically depressed.

Hope you and all the other recappers are staying positive and renewing your Zoloft prescriptions. Too much sturm and drang, I'll tell ya.

Great recap as always, amiga. Stay strong.
 

Excellent recap, Maggie.

JudyB, you are SO right. I'm about ready to join you in only reading this stuff. TV y Novelas magazine, according to my fellow novela addict Sue, gives this novela a 10. Well, I guess if you rank buckets of tears, it probably is.

I'm getting tired of watching the two dimwitted victims get jerked around by Carlota. Why in the world can't Macarena tell Paloma that it was Cris, someone she already likes a lot, BEFORE he became a priest and ya basta?
 

Love your "ya basta" Novelera. There's just too much crying and hand-wringing in this one, and not enough fighting back. Guess we've been spoiled by our feisty Fernanda in MEPS, and Gancho also has very spirited heroines to match the skullduggery of the villans.
 

I'm getting tired of all the victimization and crying all the time. Not less than a half hour was wasted on Paloma and Macarena's blubbering last night so I used the time to call my bank and straighten out an error.

Thanks for the recap!

~Caborita
 

How many episodes is this novela, again? I'm about ready for the comeuppance and victory so we can move on to something new.

Paloma is irritating the heck out of me. Her reaction may be realistic but it's super annoying to listen to. {MUTE}

Looks like we'll get to see her reprise her father's park-bench-flopping tonight. Hey, if she takes up drinking, then Cris can get her into his program when he returns!

I hope Romina and Germs do head off to the big city for a few days of adventure. That would be way more fun than anything happening in Real del Monte.

Thanks for a recap that was way more enjoyable than the episode, Maggie.
 

Thanks, Maggie, for a funny, snarky and informative recap.

Yes, Mac and Paloma are so irritating, I may be switching allegiances to Carlota. At least, she is has a brain. Stop the sniveling and tell the truth for once, Mac.

GinCA
 

More griping. Paloma must have only a double-digit IQ if she's now swallowing Carlota's professed deep love for her. Can't she remember the childhood abuse? Can't she remember being locked in her room when she was falling for Iñaki?
 

Can't she remember that Carlota has always blamed her for everything bad that happens, including Sagrario and Javier's deaths?

Macarena really should tell her who her father is, though. At the very least, she could just say his name was Cristobal...then Paloma would have some kind of answer rather than thinking Mac is just being infuriating for no reason.

I hope Cris comes back soon and Paloma goes straight to him to tell him this latest news...he's smart enough to put it together. I'm ready for a new phase with all the secrets aired.
 

Well, I’d give this novela a 10 too. I love the gorgeous photography and the charm of Real del Monte which is a town small enough that it makes sense that the characters actually know each other, unlike shows set in a big city.

I love the across-the-board terrific acting. It’s exasperating when performers are chosen for their physical beauty and acting abilities be damned. Well, okay, Emiliano can be a little dippy sometimes. But all the other actors are terrific and he’s not bad.

But most of all I love the great writing and the pacing. We aren’t given an avalanche of plot followed by weeks of filler. The characters slowly unfold before us, and their motivations are carefully developed.

So I really enjoyed last night’s show. I was thrilled with the writing, and as for Paloma’s being so devastated, well, these scenes have been set up since the beginning and we knew they were coming plus they are absolutely necessary to the story. Yes, it would be the obvious solution for everybody to just tell the truth, but then it wouldn’t be a telenovela and we wouldn’t have months of episodes. The interesting thing for me was to see, now that we had arrived at this pivotal moment, how the writers and actors would bring it to life.

As for Mac’s lack of spunk: I think she’s a victim of domestic abuse and is so beaten down that she is almost afraid to breathe.
 

Maggie, I agree with you about the way the plot and character development are unfolding. It's actually a good TN. But I just couldn't stand that 1/2 hour of histronics in last night's episode. Macarena IS a victim of domestic abuse and I think as the story unfolds it'll be up to Paloma to help her.
 

I loved Mac but now she is getting me upset with her dumb lie. Just tell the poor girl already she is almost 18 years old!

Sit her down, and explain EVERYTHING including how it was Carlota who broke them apart with her lies...etc. Paloma would really hate Carlota then.

My hubbie has been gone for 2 weeks and last night he said "when I left that poor girl was crying (Pal) and so was that lady (Mac), now I come home and they both are STILL crying! " So I guess that sums it up from an outsider peeking in.
 

OH...Thanks Maggie for your play by play dialogue! I wish I could understand it as well as you do!
 

This novela is top-notch! You hit the nail on the head, Julia B. It's everything you want in a show: superb acting, riverting storyline, lies, secrets, suprises. I can honestly say that this is the best novela Televisa has produced in the last 5 years. Allisson Lozz is the perfect actress for this show. She steals every scene she's in. I wasn't convinced that she was an actress based on El Diablo (since it was a comedy, it was hard to tell if any of the actors could act), but I'm glad I was wrong. It's nice to see someone her age who takes the grown up novelas w/ real acting versus the teeny ones that are popular, but lack substance. Thank you!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder