Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Sortilegio (English plot summary)

I found a synopsis or two and cobbled this together. "Sortilegio" means witchcraft, charm, fortune-telling.

Antonio Lombardo, successful in the construction business and married to an infertile woman, falls in love with Victoria, wife of his best friend Samuel, without intending to.

Learning of her pregnancy, Antonio wants to get a divorce and marry Victoria, but Samuel finds out and carries Victoria away to Europe before the babies are born, leaving no trace of their whereabouts. Twins are born, Bruno and Raquel, but Antonio doesn't know them. Meanwhile, Samuel accepts the children happily and raises them lovingly.

Antonio's wife Adriana undergoes fertility treatments and dies giving birth to a beautiful son, Alex. When the twins are six years old, Samuel dies too.

Victoria and Antonio, now both widowed, meet again and decide to unite their lives at the side of Bruno, Raquel, and Alex. They decide the time is not right to tell the twins Antonio is their true father.

Bruno - greedy, frivolous and calculating - never accepts Alex and, not knowing they are brothers, is his constant rival. The children grow up.

Antonio, disappointed by Bruno's rebellious and irresponsible acts and Raquel's frivolity, names Alex as his sole heir. When Antonio tells Victoria what he has decided, they have a big fight. Antonio dies unexpectedly and Alex becomes head of the family and the Lombardo business, which deepens Bruno's hatred.

Bruno meets a simple and beautiful provincial girl, María José (I dub her Mary Jo to avoid the accent marks) who lives with her loving father Pedro and her ambitious sister. He asks her to marry, pretending to be his younger brother.

Mary Jo excitedly awaits her wedding with "Alejandro," not realizing he is actually Bruno. Bruno's sinister plan is to marry Mary Jo, kill Alejandro so the young "widow" will inherit the fortune and then - because he is sure Mary Jo loves him - get her to give over the money.

After the wedding, Bruno returns to his house in the city of Merida and orders his half-brother's assassination. Alejandro is declared dead in a terrible car accident.

Bruno pretends to find the marriage document of Alejandro and Mary Jo. Victoria, his mother, contacts Mary Jo and tells her of the death of Alejandro. Overwhelmed by sadness, the young woman travels to Merida for the funeral; meanwhile Bruno goes to her village, reveals the truth to her father Don Pedro, and blackmails him into accepting his plan.

Bruno then presents himself to Mary Jo and tries to convince her to share the inheritance, but the girl is frightened and runs away. Bruno follows and makes her come back with him, assuring her that her father's life depends on it. The supposed widow is unwillingly tangled in his blackmail from which it isn't easy to escape because her liberty, and that of her father and sister, are in play.

Upon returning to Merida, they meet up with Alejandro, who is alive (to the surprise of all, especially Bruno), having been rescued by peasants who took him to a hospital.

Victoria is very surprised that Alejandro has married secretly, especially considering his engagement to Maura, and her doubts grow when he doesn't remember anything about his supposed marriage, but they attribute this to his partial amnesia from the accident.

Alejandro finds Mary Jo very attractive and decides to wait and see if he can remember her. He treats her kindly. Mary Jo realizes she is falling in love with Alejandro and her conscience will not leave her in peace. Meanwhile Bruno - who is dying of jealousy - is more threatening and violent all the time. His behavior awakens Alejandro's suspicions and when finally Mary Jo asks for a divorce, Alex pressures her to tell the truth.

Mary Jo knows that Bruno is a man without scruples and that, if she talks, she puts the lives of her loved ones at risk. However, she also knows that if she stays quiet, she risks the life of Alejandro, the man she loves.

The couple's love will be tarnished by the dirty games of their enemies, Bruno and Maura (who has always been in love with the galan), who will do even the impossible to separate them.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Good Lord...I have a headache just reading the synopsis. Can't imagine what the actual telenovela night after night will do.

But...you all eventually reel me in, with your funny recaps and the interesting comments. This one sounds truly mock-worthy. Any chance that our beloved Beckster might come back to skewer this one?
 

It looks to be quite the show. :) I saw this more or less on Wikipedia and it almost looks to be spoiler material. But... looking at it, most of that stuff would probably have to happen in the first couple of weeks and then we go from there. :)

JeffMN
 

DO NOT READ Wikipedia synopsis- I've found them to reveal way too much. THEY ARE SPOILERS.
 

This is the third version of "Tu o Nadie" with the leads being Lucía Mendez, Andrés García and Salvador Pineda as the villain. The secon version in 1995 was called "Acapulco, Cuerpo y Alma" with Patricia Manterola and Salvador Lizaso as the leads and Guillermo García Cantú as the villain.

Oddly enough Chantal Andere was in "Acapulco..." were she played the same character she is playing in "Sortilegio".

Jarocha
 

Well after that summary...count me in! Just looking at William Levy is enough for me and if they film in Merida...even better.

Thank you for the synopsis I was afraid to look at Wikipedia and blow it all.
 

Oops...sorry I typed in the word verfication (matesulf) as my name!


Elle
 

I tried to read the one on Wiki but it was way too confusing so I quit reading before anything good came up. Just keeping all the players straight will be a job. Thanks for the synopsis.
 

Yes, Wikipedia is deadly. I was trying to look up an actor's name on the FELS wiki, and someone had entered crosses beside the names of the deceased characters, thus I found out that Rosario (Nidel Conde) AND Ruth were not going to survive until the end.
 

After reading the synopsis, keep your FELS/MEPS beanies handy. It looks like they will get a workout.

Not a big Levy or Bracamontes fan, at this time... but some of those beach scenes in the previews... hmm... :) We'll probably watch the beginning to figure out the characters, but may not watch quite as often as MEPS. :)

If you don't want to know things, definitely, Wikipedia may be a spoiler. Many people don't even like the synopsis, gives them too much information. I think this synopsis may be too detailed for many, but... as I mentioned earlier, they may be go through most of this information within the first couple of weeks... but... hard to know. :)
I remember the MEPS synopsis, many were wondering why people were saying that Artemio was Gonzo's half brother. When did that info come up!? It was in the synopsis was the reply. :) If you don't like spoilers, skip the synopsis, wiki.

JeffMN
 

Well, I'm not exactly a fan of either lead either, but the plot is so twisted it's going to be some fun I think. At least the producer and director are decent and it's from a Caridad Bravo Adams novel if I'm not mistaken, so if the writers don't muck it up on this third go around, it could be a half-way decent telenovela.
 

Que ?????? That plot is a beaut !!! Like several of you have said, I'm not a fan of the 2 leads, but I'm hoping Marcelo Cordoba will have lots of scenes. [I think he plays Chantal Andere's novio.] Also, I loved Carla Estrada's epocas, but then , of course I did because FC starred in them. This novela may not be my cuppa tea, but I HAVE TO watch a novela because it's a hard habit to break, and I love all the recappers who have signed on . [Connie, I can't wait to read your recaps. I always love your comments.] I'll bide my time and try this novela out while impatiently waiting for my ship to come in...the one that Big Ed with his shoulderlength hair and pirate duds is on. Ahoy, Big Ed !!''~~~Susanlynn, contemplating her return as ''Mad Bess, Pirate Lass'''
 

Does anyone know what characters Levy and Jackie play on the show? I wasn't a huge Levy fan after CCEA. Aside from his looks, well, that's why he was cast. Jackie isn't much of an actress either, but I loved her in Las Tontas. Since it's a drama, I wonder how both of them will fare. So far, this has been Mexico's most popular novela since it was released, so I guess it's good. I can't remember anyone else from the cast except for Chantal del Andre and Ana Brenda (Juro que te amo), both are great actress, but I hope it's a decent show. The promos of the shooting location are beautiful! A welcomed changed from Mexcio City.
 

Anon 12:41... Jackie would be María José and Levy will be Alex.
 

I confess, I've been watching it on Youtube -- and though I was not a Levy fan (well...my brain anyway -- the eyes are a different story)I've become A HUGE fan. This is an excellent soap. Short and sweet. Bracamontes and Levy have some serious chemistry. And Bruno? He's hysterically, scene-chewingly awful! Gotta love it!
Enjoy!
 

Anon 1:52 -- Agreed, Bruno (Zepeda) is fascinating and will be the reason I'll watch this novela, even though not a huge Levy/Bracamontes fan myself :)

Thanks to all the recappers for their hard work!
 

I looked for sortilego on the same channel that ganco is on but I didn't see it listed on tuesday 6th of october, or wed either. Has anyone seen the listings? Also I watched alot of the show on youtube, and it's pretty good at the beg. I don't want to give anything away, but it does get good and worth watching and there are surprises.

rebecca

rebecca
 

Can anyone help me where I can watch this series online?
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder