Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Amor Monday, November 16, 2009: Everybody loves Emiliano

Friday: Padre Mateo tells Rufi that anybody wanting to be in the higher church echelons, like, say, Bishop, can’t have a direct descendant. Chris tells an angry Padre Benito that he couldn’t very well leave Paloma in Carlota’s clutches if Carlota knew she was out all night. Padre B says So you approve of the two of them staying out all night together? Chris says he knows them well and there was nothing amiss. Padre B says Chris has to stay away from Carlota and Paloma as well. Chris says but why Paloma? Padre B says because Carlota will use any excuse to compromise you. Chris says do you doubt me? Padre B says she called herself and said it was you who wanted to come into her house. Look out for her, she’s very tricky and could make you look really bad.

****

For somebody with no money, Samuel sure has picked out a fancy hotel. Camila goes to the front desk to look for him, but he’s not in. She writes a message for him.

At school, Paloma can barely conceal her high spirits. Lili wonders if the test shows it’s German’s child, would Romina marry him? Paloma says Romina doesn’t want to be a single mother, so maybe. Paloma wonders if that would bother Lili. Lili says she can’t help it, she just can’t get him out of her system. Paloma sympathizes. Lili says she’s just sure it’s German’s.

Inez walks into the dispensario, muttering to herself about her empty nest syndrome. She spots the priests’ dorm keys on the floor and thinks she must’ve dropped them. She puts them in her purse.

The law partner is going over things with German (the partner in a suit and tie, German in a down vest, his loudly-striped shirt open down to there, and sleeves rolled up – great way to make an impression, G.) to see how things are going. German says Fine, but the will for the Espinoza de los Monteros that Rojas told me to expect hasn’t come from Mexico City yet. Odd, says the law partner. Why would the will be coming from out of town when they’ve always lived here? I dunno, says German. The partner says keep me informed on that.

The partner adds that it’s probably Paloma’s – her folks were from there. German says he knows her and he hopes it’s some good news.

Carlota shows up to talk to Padre Benito, who tells her he heard Chris’s side and it was completely different – it had nothing to do with her. She tells him Chris keeps showing up, and why is he so attentive to Paloma? He needs to stay away from Paloma, because if they get to talking, Paloma may tell him she’s Mac’s daughter and he’ll start drawing conclusions. Just think – Paloma would really suffer if she knew she was the bastard child of the local priest.

The things that come out of your mouth! says Padre B. Carlota says I know you’re on Chris’s side, but if you want to avoid a scandal, you’ll keep them apart.

Lili is taking art class too now. Paloma asks her if she’d like to help with the classes for the neighborhood girls at the church. Lili doesn’t think she paints very well, but sure. Another young lady overhears and says she’d like to help to.

Rufi is in her pew, praying out loud. She wonders if Padre M was sent to her to stop her from telling Chris about Paloma. But gosh, she thinks, Chris really should know. She wants Christ to let her know, and in the meantime, she’ll zip her lip.

The three art musketeers have a giddy, optimistic, naïve talk about how the neighborhood girls may have problems with drugs or alcohol and how their creative efforts will maybe bring out these stories. Yup, they’re going to save the world. One of the urchins might while painting might let drop that she’s strung out on crack cocaine and then they can swing into action.

Here comes Carlota down the street, smiling confidently because she spots Chris coming the other way. (Fashion alert for Carlota: a plaid coat doesn’t go well with a leopard top.) Twice in one day, she gloats to him. He demands to know what she thought she’d gain by telling Padre B about his coming to her house. She says she wanted to demonstrate to him that he’s better off working with her rather than against her.

She says Mac is dead and gone, but they are still among the living so they might as well enjoy themselves, and, right there in the church plaza, with people coming and going, she rubs his chest. Far in the background, Rufi watches from the church entrance.

Chris backs right up and says that’s never going to happen.
Carlota: (brightly) I never say never. I always get what I want.
Chris: Not this time.
Carlota : What if there was something I had, or knew, that would make you do anything? Chris: There’s no such thing; the only thing you and I ever had in common was Macarena.
Carlota: How wrong you are! Even though you’re trying to annoy me, I’ll tell you we do have something in common, something I guarantee you you would do anything for. But I won’t tell you yet.
Chris: Why not now?
Carlota: Because I want you to love me for me.
Chris: You’re obsessed about something that’s never going to happen.
Carlota: I’ve waited 19 years, I can wait a little bit longer.
She smiles and winks and sashays off.

Inez is visiting Diana. Inez hopes something good will come of this – maybe Emiliano will move back. Diana sadly says she hopes so. As her son, she hopes he’ll be forgiving. Inez says it would be easier if Orlando were some stranger to him, but they’re business partners, friends.

Diana says Em ought to believe me more than Orlando, to believe that Orlando is the one who hit me. He will show me all his love and realize I’m the only mother he has. Inez rubs her knee consolingly.

Aron has come to see Romina, who didn’t realize he had been sprung. She says she did everything she could to help him. And he says yeah sure right. Anyway, I’m not up for an argument, I just came to say goodbye – I’m leaving Real del Monte. Romina says so you’re running away? You’re such a coward. Aron says I am so sick of all your lies and your tricks. I really regret getting tangled up with you in the first place. Romina says I didn’t make you do anything – you did what you did because you wanted to.

Aron says there’s some truth in that. But one thing I know I’ll rue for the rest of my days is that I ever knew you, and that I thought you could help me. I see why Emiliano wanted to get away from you, and German too. I wish I’d backed off earlier because, Romina, you destroy everything you touch. That’s why you’re alone. And if you don’t change, and you go on being so egotistical, you’re going to end up alone.

He leaves and she sits, stunned, for a while and then, tears in her eyes, says without much conviction Stupid.

Angie comes out of the plateria or Orlando’s house, I’m not sure which, and sees Em leaning against his car. He says he came to talk to Orlando but he’s not sure he wants to. Angie says life hands us surprises- at least listen to him. Em rings the doorbell.

Camila has called Rafa at work to see how he’s doing. He hints that he’s busy. She says she doesn’t want to bother, but she heard about Emiliano. Rafa makes an impassioned speech about how Em will always be his son. Camila says she just wanted him to know that if he ever needs a shoulder to cry on, a friend, she’s there for him. Thank you, says Rafa, and thank you for the call. Gotta run! He hangs up. They both look sad. Rafa squeezes his eyes shut.

The do-gooders Lili and Paloma come laughing into the dispensario. Paloma tells Padre Chris that Lili wants to help with the maybe-waywards girls. Chris is thrilled – he will round up the girls and buy the materials and they can start on Friday.

Em comes into Orlando’s office unannounced. Hijo! says Orlando, thrilled. Em juts his chin and says to start off, don’t call me hijo.

Rafa sits at his desk, and holds a framed photo of Emiliano. He says I can’t lose you. I wish you’d call. I’d tell you that the best thing that ever happened to me in my life was you.

Orlando tells Em that when he heard he was expecting a son, he was the happiest guy in the world. Em says and when you hired me, you knew, didn’t you? Orlando says no, I had no idea. Em says it seems like a lot of coincidences. Okay, he says sarcastically, sitting down and folding his arms, let’s hear your version.

Orlando says I’d like to tell you, but I don’t want to destroy the image you have of your mother. Em shoots out of his chair and shouts You sure didn’t mind beating her to a pulp! Orlando says it wasn’t me! I don’t know what happened, but I don’t want you to get a bad opinion of me. Too late, says Em.

Orlando says I’m not going to say anything bad about your mother, because she’s your mother. But I’m asking you to think about it. You know me! I’m not a stranger. We can’t change the past, but I’d you to give us the opportunity to act like what we are: father and son.

I already have a father, says Em. Orlando says I know, and he’s been good to you. But please don’t shut me out because I’m your biological father. I don’t want to cut you off because I know you’re my son, because I really care about you.

How do you know I’m your son?

Orlando says When I saw the photo of Gudelia at your house … He confesses he had DNA tests run using Orlando’s hair, his toothbrush, a half-eaten apple in the trash. This has a definite yuck factor and Em looks creeped out.

Em says you told me about the pregnant woman who left you. That woman isn’t my mother. Orlando says wipe that from your mind. I don’t want to say anything bad about your mother. I’m just asking that you make a little space in your life for me. Let me be near you, give you all my love. Is that asking too much?

Paloma is coming home and Romina greets her warmly on the sidewalk. Paloma tells her it’s almost time for graduation and Romina wants a front-row seat, though, she observes, she’ll probably be married by then. How everyone’s jaws will drop when they see her on the arm of the man she loves.

But the thing I’m really excited about is my wedding! You have to be my maid of honor!

Rufi is stirring a pot and wondering what Carlota said to Chris that made him look so grim. Carlota bursts into the kitchen and wants to know if dinner’s ready. Rufi says not quite, she’s had so much on her mind. Like what? Carlota wants to know.

Rufi says Padre M told her Chris is up for Bishop. Carlota says I know, but it’s never going to happen, he’ll be staying here. How’s that? says Rufi. Are you going to tell Padre Juan about his ties to Paloma? Paloma walks in just then and says what ties? Rufi and Carlota get wide-eyed. The spooky music plays and apparently even Paloma can hear it, because she looks back and forth between the two, and says Tia, you tell me.

Carlota says well, the love of God. Paloma says the love of God unites everyone, not just me and Padre Juan. Rufi says we were just commenting that Mac’s death created ties. You two were the last ones to see her alive.

Paloma says I’m just thinking – why did my mother like him so much? Rufi laughs well he’s a charmer. Paloma says but I think they knew each other before. He was so affected by her death. Carlota says we all were very affected. She was so young, and her accident so shocking.

Diana’s maid runs into Meche in the market and blabs that Rafa has moved back in.

Paloma says how did they get to know each other before he was a priest? Carlota says I don’t remember – they were so young. He was probably one of the long list of boyfriends she had. Anyway, he became a priest.

Paloma says you mean she had something going with him before he was a priest? Carlota says don’t misinterpret what I said. Paloma says well anyway I’m glad he’s a priest here now. I feel so comfortable with him. He’s so protective of me, almost like a father.

Meche, the biggest grape on the grapevine, comes into Camila’s shop with the flowers she bought and asks if Camila has heard from Rafa. Camila says no, and it’s bothering me. Meche says I don’t know if I should tell you, but Juanita told me he’s moved back home. I didn’t think it was right that you didn’t know that he has other plans. Camila thanks her and gets teary.

Now I understand why he’s been so cool. I’ve been so stupid! I really believed in him. Meche says I believed in him too. What does Diana have that he would go back to her? He was so miserable with her.

Carlota is on the phone and says tomorrow the results come in? She hangs up then punches enough numbers to call China, but she’s just ringing Romina to tell her. Romina is nervous. Carlota says Romina needs to pick the results up personally. She did her part and she hopes everybody else did theirs. Romina says is there any chance something could go wrong? Carlota says there’s always a margin of error and that’s why Romina needs to go all by herself to make sure that everything is as they plotted.

Romina says what if something goes wrong? Carlota says look, I’ve done what I can. Romina says but this benefits you too, Paloma and Em have to be driven apart. Carlota says they will be, one way or another, don’t worry.

Rufi talks to herself and the caged birds at the same time. She feels terrible about Paloma. But Mac (who appears in flashback and talks with a ghostly echo) said over my dead body will Paloma every find out that Chris is her father. (Hey, wait, Rufi – there’s the loophole!) Rufi says but if she had known was Carlota was doing, and that Chris is up for Bishop….. What to do???

Rafa is moved when he looks up and sees Em in front of him. Em is near tears and tender with Rafa. He wants to know when Rafa knew and Rafa says from day one- Diana was pregnant. He fell in love and adopted Em as his own son. Em says why didn’t you tell me? Rafa says I don’t know; it wasn’t important. I might not have been your biological father, but I was your father in every other sense of the word. I never thought your biological father would show up.

Em says you’ve been a wonderful father. It’s just hard to think we’re not really related, because we always got along so well, I always felt you were so proud of me. Rafa says you were always my son, and I have loved you since you were born. You made me a father.

Em says I love you more now than ever. It’s an honor that you have been my father.

By now both are drenched in tears, but they are men, so they just do the trembling chin thing from a across the desk and don’t fall weeping into one another’s arms.

Rufi brings Carlota a tea and Carlota tells her off for mentioning Chris + Mac + Paloma to Paloma. Rufi says Paloma ought to know. Carlota explodes that she’s paid to be a servant and the only reason she’s allowed to be around Paloma is that Paloma’s known her all her life. Rufi says I’m like her grandmother. Carlota says well, you’re not. Her real grandmother is dead.

Rufi says I’m going to tell her today. Carlota glances around the room – no handy poison on the desk apparently – and says are you going to betray Mac? She didn’t want her to know. I don’t like to hurt Paloma, but I made a promise to God, says Carlota, gesturing at her Virgin statue, to keep the secret. If she keeps thinking that creep is her father, she’ll forget the whole thing.

Rufi says you’re right. I’ll respect Mac’s wishes and protect Paloma just as you’re doing. She leaves.

Carlota’s face freezes. She says You’re becoming too much of a threat, Rufi. You know too much. You go get some rest, like in the other world. Then only I would know.

Avances: Carlota overhears that Paloma spent the night with Emiliano and slaps her. Paloma is escaping over the balcony.

Labels:


Comments:
Maggie, thanks so much for this terrific recap. It helped me make sense of a lot that I didn't understand. And, as always, I LOVE your humor! I burst out laughing at "Meche, the biggest grape on the grapevine," but the observation I enjoyed most--because it was both funny and true--was your pointing out that Macarena's threat "over my dead body" now gives Rufi an out. I hope she takes it, though I'm also very much afraid that she may be added to Carlota's corpse list. It's hard to believe that the writers would kill her off, but if they can do in Iñaki and Macarena, clearly no one is safe. Arrgh.
 

Great recap, Maggie. Loved re: teary Emiliano & Rafa..."They do that trembling chin thing from across the desk but don't fall weeping into one another's arms"

I'm disappointed in Rafa and I don't understand. Why can't he be with Camila now that Emiliano already knows the whole Orlando paternity thing? Wasn't that what Orlando was holding over his head? But whatever, he could at least be man enough to explain himself to Camila face to face.

Jackie
 

I'm totally confused about Rafa, too. Now that the secret is out and he also knows about Diana's horrible past, what's to keep him from getting a divorce and seeing Camila? Is he just retreating because he's upset and doesn't know whether Orlando is in fact violent?

I love the range of emotion that Cris shows with only very slight movements. He looked quite ticked off that Padre Benito would even consider that he was going after Carlota, especially since PB knows the whole story of how Carlota split up Cris and Mac.

If Paloma had any brain power she would go right to Cris and tell him everything she knows and ask what his connection to Mac is, but...sigh. Must drag it out longer.

Swell recap, Maggie. I love your humor but also liked that you gave Carlota's and Cris's conversation word-for-word...she is such a nutjob, you really don't even need to add anything to make it hilarious.
 

Carloca is totally in another Universe of her making. RoMEna is not far behind her, love how Aron told her about herself. She needed to hear it it was long overdue with self-centered self.

Does anyone know what's going on with the Sortilegio recap it's still not up yet.
 

Well done, Maggie.

I sure hope they don't kill off Rufi; she's wonderful.

I'm pretty sure the reason Rafa is giving up Camila is because Orly threatened to tell Em the whole story if he didn't stay away from her. The whole story includes Diana/Gudelia taking the money from the safe and framing Orly so he had to go to prison. The cat's out of the bag that Em is really Orly's son, but his mother so far is only revealed as having gotten pregnant out of wedlock. Like so many TN characters, Rafa is willing to sacrifice his own happiness to protect his son's image of his mamá.

They're sure dragging out this DNA reveal, aren't they? Of course we know the novela would be over in a week if Carlota hadn't been successful in bribing someone at the clinic.
 

Anon 3:34- Sorti is up: http://caraycaray.blogspot.com/2009/11/sortilegio-monday-november-16-2009.html
 

Thanks anon because it's still not showing on the recap lineup list. I kept hitting refresh all day. I've got it now thank you very much.
 

Maggie - thanks so much for the recap - it really helped where I missed some things. Don't get why Rufi tells Carloca anything, much less that she is going to reveal anything to Pal! Eeekk. Love your title!

Thanks for the explanation on Rafa, too, I was having trouble figuring that one out.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder