Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Gancho Tuesday Nov. 10, '09 Where Is Aldo And What Have You Done With Him?

Well tonight was full of surprises...and they weren't good ones. Monita was looking cute of course. Quite fetching in glasses and Christmas colors--green sweater and red shoes. And Estrella Falcón actriz got to do another accent number. Sounded to me like Miami Cuban but I could be wrong. Jarocha? Anyone? And our aromatic Beto proved irresistible to our prison matron. But to no avail. Our Aldo has been so brainwashed he actually ratted out the rescuers and his two sisters, and the courageous caper ended with Luisa in solitary at the internado and Estrella and Monita in jail! Holy Moley...what a crap episode!

Enough complaining. Let's start at the beginning. Loriloca is in the coffee room musing about how to torture and kill Gabriela, and scaring the bejesus out of Paula in the process. Paula, as usual, can't get anyone (in this case, Gaby) to listen to her. And thinking she's escaping trouble, Gaby heads for the elevator, only to find herself joined by Lorenza and trapped! Lori castigates her for being a "traidora, promiscua, ofrecida" and a few other epithets and Gaby wisely screams for HELP!!!!

We leave our two ladies in the elevator and listen to Estrella's rescue plan. It involves disguises. Great!

Back to the girls. Lorenza tells Gaby to quit playing the victim. She's nothing but a husband-stealer after all. Gaby tries to explain how it all happened, while hyperventilating. See, screeches Lori, just thinking about him leaves you breathless. There's some vigorous quibbling about whether or not Gaby actually slept with Sal but then suddenly Lorenza changes gears. I don't care. You're just a single woman picking up the leftovers of others. Want him? You can have him. Punto. Gaby is stunned. And a little let down. That's all? she asks. Exit Lori.

Back at the internado, Estrella's in full swing as a rich lady looking to place her child. A somewhat intellectual-looking Monita is her personal assistant and Beto, Man in Black, is her bodyguard in charge of checking out security. A LOOK and a hand kiss and Prison Matron is ready to have him check her out. More to come.

Back at the office, Sal is blinking, twitching, peering through venetian blinds and warning Mau that if he signs this prenup, he's signing his death sentence. Mau, looking dopey and disheveled, after noting that Sal needs to see a doctor, resigns himself to signing the document. What other option does he have?

We break for an ad and when we come back, Matron is showing our trio the classrooms and vaunting the educational aspects of the boarding school. But what about security? they want to know. And where are the kids? Seems Beto (who introduced himself as Mauricio will be given a personal security tour). Can't wait.

Back to the office. Sal, in full twitch mode, assures Mau he'll be back to normal as soon as his divorce is final. He's told Lorenza everything and it's just a matter of time. Suddenly Nieves and Alicia burst into the office with the news that Monita has escaped from the hospital. Mau looks dazed and confused. Sal twitches double-time. Serious business.

Mientras tanto, Monita has found the girls in the dormitory and there are hugs and tears as little Dany confesses that she was afraid her daddy had stopped loving her. And Luisa's worried about him marrying that witch! But Monita has always saved them! Three cheers.

Not so fast. Estrella has found Aldo, dutifully working some algebra problems on the blackboard and smothers him with some passionate kisses. She can't decide if she wants more hugs and kisses or just to whisk him outta there pronto, but he seems hesitant and confused. What's up? He gives her some BS about waiting and meeting up with him in the back patio of the school and we know something is verrrry verrrry wrong. Oh no. Our cachorrito has been brain-washed. He's in worse shape than Sal! Evidently evil Connie has scared him even more than Matron. If he rebels one more time, Constanza will see to it that the kids are locked up there for two or three more years. He can't risk it, poor baby. He has to protect his sisters. (For that alone, I'm ready to string up Constanza. Sorry Carlos.)

So, back to the office again. Nieves is torn between blaming Alicia for Monita's escape (You smothered her! You came on too strong!) and flirting with Salvador (you poor thing, you're all thin and hollow-eyed. Isn't that wife of yours taking care of you!?) This two-way stretch is interrupted by Paula who says she's just talked to Christian and the police have patrols out looking for Monita. Interesting use of police personnel. Must not be much crime in Mexico City. Hah!

Ugh. Excuse me while I grind my teeth a little. Constanza is lounging around Mau's bedroom, criticizing Teresa's handling of her duds. If you mess up my clothing, I'm going to take it out of your salary, she coos. Teresa's unfazed. Go ahead. Dock my salary. It's one thing to harm clothing. QUITE ANOTHER TO HARM PEOPLE...TO HARM SOULS. Connie snaps that she'd better respect her. There are those who deserve my respect, and others who don't, retorts Teresa. Constanza starts to protest but Teresa cuts her off. What are you going to do? Fire me? "Disappear me" like you did the kids? Fine, sez Connie. Go ahead. Drop the mask. Tell me what you really think. I won't fire you....YET. And with that, we break for another ad.

Alright. The only fun number of the episode. Matron has fallen sway to Beto's potent charm. There's some security sex talk with double-entendres about locks and locksmiths (cerrajeros) and whether or not one little push would open a door if someone had the skill (maña). Then a coupe of bent over the desk kisses until finally, overcome by menopausal lust, Matron throws Beto into a chair, jumps on his lap, flings her arms around him....and thereafter, we draw a veil, children. This is the 7 pm hour, after all.

Well, if things are getting rough at the boarding school, it's even rougher at Mau's house. Teresa's taking on Connie, telling her she's "despota, grosera, soberbia and altanera". Her "egoismo" is leading her to destroy others just to get what she wants. Connie looks temporarily sad and discouraged but then snaps back by saying Well, at least I won't end up like some grubby cook. But you're condemning Mauricio to perpetual misery, replies Teresa. And the children. And yourself as well. No one loves you here. No one will ever love you here.

Again, Constanza has a moment of looking regretful, lonely and sad. Then she reloads. I'm marrying him and that's that. Stuff your tears. (Well, as little Sylvia pointed out, the Devil is persistant. And so is our Connie.)

Back at boarding school, the jig is up. Aldo has informed on his rescuers and his sisters. The goons have grabbed Estrella and Monita, a disheveled partly- unbuttoned Matron comes running to the scene, and the girls scream at Aldo that they hate him. Have they fried your brain?! yells Estrella. Look, he says dejectedly....I did this for my sisters. I spent 6 months enduring punishments. I don't want the same thing to happen to them. Monita and Estrella are still struggling and castigating their captors as "Pocos hombres" while Beto, ever the coward, runs off rather than rescue them. Bad Beto!

And Bad Connie. She's tightening the screws on Mauricio. Sign the prenup. You've had enough time. Alright, you can have my money, my property, all I want is custody of the children. Nonononono...you're not going to divorce me double-quick and get anything. If you do, I'll keep the children and you'll never see them again. And while you're at it, you have to fire Teresa. But she's always worked for the family. She has no one else. Not my problem. (Theoretically, I'm against violence...but I just wish Mauricio would slap the crap out of Constanza right now. Take that cool confidence down a notch or two.)

Well, Estrella and Monita are cooling their heels in jail and Luisa's been sent to solitary for her part in the escape attempt. Christian, ever righteous, is reading them the riot act. Aldo is being congratulated by Matron for his change in attitude and the goons are counseled not to let Constanza know about the little dust up at the school. Hmmm. Where will this lead?

Well, we know where Beto was led. Straight to Mau's house. He, Mau and Teresa are in the kitchen while he gives them word of the kids. No, they don't look malnourished, he assures Tere...but why are we whispering?

Because Constanza's in the house! Beto looks elated, then shifty-eyed, as he assures Mau he can help. Plan 1) get Estrella and Monita out of jail Plan 2) Have Teresa waylay Constanza.

The scene switches to a restaurant where Sal and Lorenza have met to talk over their divorce in a civilized manner. Alas, this involves some more doctoring of Sal's coffee "just the way he likes it". However, Lorenza assures him she won't make his life hell. On the contrary, she's ready to sign the divorce document and put an end to this relationship. Watch out Sal!

Back at Mau's, Connie's objecting to being waylaid. Are you spying on me? she snaps. Not my style, sez Tere, but I have a few more things to say to you.
T- You'll never get a man the way you're behaving.
C- Oh yeah, and how many men have YOU had!?
T- There's no better teacher than Life and I've known Mauricio all my life and what he needs, you don't have. He needs the children and he needs real love.

Back in the kitchen, Beto and Mauricio are skirmishing about why he's willing to help and what's with the "tutear" business. Seems Mauricio objecting to it because Beto only tuteared him when he was insulting him. Hmmm. Not sure it really happened that way, but they seem to be working out their differences. As to why Beto really wants to help? Well, he saw how sad Monita was when she decided she had to give up Mauricio. And so "me fajo los pantalones" (I hitched up my pants) and decided to do the right thing. Flee with her and the kids, Mauricio. Keep her happy. But disappear. Do it man!

And there we end. Nothing of note in the preview that I could see other than a shot of Mauricio driving off with the kids. Will it really happen? We'll find out tomorrow.

Vocabulary:
se te botaba la canica = Paula said this to Lorenza. Anyone have a clue? Sylvia has suggested "you lost your marbles, you've got a screw loose". Works for me.
clamar = protest
ojeras = rings under the eyes
cerrajero= locksmith
maña= knack, skill
servir de escarmiento = serve as a lesson (Christian speaking to Estrella and Monita in jail)
sin decir agua = without so much as a by your leave
me quedé corto= I stopped short (Teresa speaking to Constanza)
me fajó los pantalones = hitched up my pants

Dicho of the Day

Defenderse hasta con los dientes; defenderse come gato boca arriba. = To fight tooth and nail. (What Mauricio and Monita will have to do to save the kids and their love.)

Labels:


Comments:
Judy, I haven't read your recap but your title really caught my fancy; It's one of those that makes me slap my forehead and say

"Wish I'd thoght of that!"

Excellent! sounds like you really are well...now on with the recap...

Carlos
 

Judy, what a marvelous recap. I come to look forward to your recaps before going to bed on Mon. nights. I thought, however, that this was an overall funny and hopeful episode. Beto was great. Granted, I was very disappointed when he ran away. It did seem cowardly initially, but Beto knew best. He certainly wasn't afraid of jail, his own personal spa, but relying on his feral instincts he was able to ally with Mao, and the previews are very encouraging.

Hurrah, for Dani. She delivered some difficult lines with aplomb. It's fun watching her grow as an actriz. Luisa has improved as well and Aldo was very convincing, although very disturbing as well.

Hurrah, for Teri standing up to Coni like she did. Boo, Coni! Honey you're even losing me.

Bedtime. Hasta mañana.

Carlos
 

Thanks for the recap Judy. Your title was so appropriate. I'm hoping Aldo will return to himself. He seems to be suffering from post traumatic stress from being in kiddie school prison and having Coni as a mother.

I know you don't like violence Judy so to want Mau to slap Coni must mean her behavior has pushed you to the limit. Me too. I'm glad Carlos appears to be on our side now ;).

Question - in the preview, is Beto pulling a fast one on Coni as they pick up the kids or is he the one she is running away with?
 

The previews confused me, Karen. Imagine that was on purpose...tantalize? promise and then not deliver? We'll just have to wait until tonight to find out.

Hah, Carlos. Beto's "feral instincts". Yep, feral is the word for him. Both in terms of aroma and those little narrow-eyed schemes he comes up with.

I'm not sure if he's really matured to a "greater love hath no man" and just wants Monita to be happy, or if he sees rescuing the kids and packing off M&M and the family will put him back in Connie's good graces and her bed.

Oh well...we all have mixed motives, don't we?
 

PS Bonnie Bell looks absolutely stunning in that photo. Step over, Constanza, you've been replaced!
 

Well, I'm back on the computer since for some reason the morning newspaper STILL isn't here.

Carlos, I missed your last comment on your line last night....about Constanza feeling violated again.

I would say this is a case of misunderstanding rather than violation. Jeri honestly thought Monita was dead and Constanza honestly felt giving it up to Jeri was worth it in order to insure Monita's demise.

Obviously Connie was angry and disappointed, but both acted in "good faith" so to speak. The "service" she gave wasn't worth the "service" she got...but, in a sense, but....ni modo....
 

Good morning Judy. This episode was a bit of a bummer but I didn't think it was TOO bad. Yes, I was hoping the kids would be sprung from reform school, and it was annoying that for once this didn't happen overnight, but I'm still hopeful.

I think Paula was telling Lorenza that she had a screw loose, I believe botarse la canica means to throw away a marble, i.e. lose one's marbles? Kinda makes sense.

I laughed out loud at the scene where the matron rushed out of her office adjusting her clothing. That Beto is such a scamp! I'm glad he's decided to help Mau out for whatever reason. Actually, I think he really likes Mau; even though they are polar opposites he keeps calling Mau his soul brother. Hmmmm...

Judy, thanks for the wonderful recap even though this episode was kind of a downer. As Carlos pointed out, the title is absolutely perfect. Wow, there sure were some surprises last night. Aldo come home!!!
 

I'm off work today and actually have time to read AND reply to the recap! Yay!

I only was able to watch the last 10 minutes last night, so I'm doubly grateful for the recap. Thanks for filling me in on what I missed with all the juicy details!

As always, Judy, I love the way you paint the picture of what's going on. I can clearly see it in my mind's eye as I read. I also appreciate the liberal sprinkling of Spanish words throughout. That is a Spanish lesson in and of itself!

I did see the part where Luisa was being put in solitary "sin (or was it "con"?) pan y agua por 2 dias" (if I understood correctly) and Aldo being thanked by Evil Matron for turning them in.

I'm going to stick my neck out and just say that I think Aldo is faking his brainwashing. I think he has his own plan to get the Matron to let her guard down, and then he will get his sisters and get outta there! Also, as was mentioned, he has to appear to appease Conni or they will end up in there for a couple more years.

I wish more people than Mau would slap the crap out of Constanza! This is one telenovela that I can't wait to see what fate the writers have in store for that nasty antagonist!
 

Thanks Sylvia...I too thought that "losing one's marbles" was a possibility. I'll put that in.

Deb...wow, what a Byzantine mind you have! But could be! If Aldo is faking and can pull this off, more power to him. Clearly he has to be the brains of the family, since Mauricio's firepower is waaay low and likely to remain so.

Delicious hypothesis. We'll wait and see. And enjoy your day off.
 

Yay Deb! I'm glad you think Aldo is faking it. I want to believe it too but he was just acting so weird. Lucky you having the day off. I am slammed at work and it's going to be a crazy week. Calgon take me away...
 

I thought the scenes in the school with Beto, Estrella. And Monita disguised were downright hilarious. Beto over-reaching with Moni trying to keep him in check was delightful and Estrella played her role perfectly. And how about Warden Shirley's legs? Not bad for a lustful menopausee.

I hope that Jarocha checks in today and enlightens us about the way Estrella referred to Beto as mi negro. Adriana tells me that in Mexico this is a term of endearment, but I think that her connotation may have been a little different.

Carlos
 

Yes, Carlos, I'm hoping Jarocha will give us some insight on that use of the term, and also on the accent Estrella was using. I do look forward to her various numbers. This actress has a much juicier part than she played in Guapos, which mostly involved sulking.
 

I'm going to be out all day today. I just came quickly to tell you how great your recap was Judy!

You are right, the accent Estrella was going for was Miami Cuban, I love her accents.

Sylvia is right on the "botar la canica" explanation, given that I didn't know about losing ones marbles I've now learn a new thing, thank you!

Deb, the corrrect preposition would be "a" for "a pan y agua".

Carlos: yes, in México negro is a term of endearment, you can also talk to a person using an adjetive "flaco", "gordo", " chaparro", "negro", etc. this is not considered an insult. In this case I have to wonder if the use was intentional since Raúl Araiza's nickname is "negro" for his friends in real life.

Jarocha
 

y, in Dec. my wife Linda and I will be taking a little trip to Mexico. I was smitten with the beauty of the Yucatan that was showcased recently in Gancho and Sortilegio. We're going to Isla Mujeres to relax a bit. Even though I use my Spanish with a number of friends as well a lot of patients, this will be my first trip out of the country since I began learning Spanish.

Carlos
 

Somehow the top half of my comment got cut off. I was saying thank you to Jarocha. You always have answers to our questions and even a little more. The rest was a by the way about our trip.

Carlos
 

Thanks Jarocha for the "canicas" translation (and glad we could return the favor) and so happy that I was right about the accent. When I first started listening to Spanish, it all sounded the same to me (and very mysterious) but now I'm beginning to be able to differentiate some accents. Now if I just had the memory capable of generating a full conversation! I know..."dale tiempo a tiempo". It will come.
 

Judy, thank you for another wonderful recap. I always feel as if I'm on the edge of my seat when I read your recaps, you make them very exciting and fast moving. The vocab was also terrific.

Didn't Mau sign the prenup? Maybe I dreamed that. Anyway, he should have had a lawyer. Generally prenups in the US are not enforceable unless both sides had lawyers. Mau didn't realize that he DID have some options. Connie is desperate to marry him. He could have turned it all around and said, "I won't marry you unless you give me full custody of the children, and if I find out that you're unfaithful, you give up the right to any of my assets". I know, he risks not seeing the kids. But if he had just waited a few hours before signing, he'd have gotten the new from Beto that they've located the kids.

Also, isn't Oscar's representation of Connie a little bit of conflict of interest? He's supposed to be the house counsel for Grupo Sermeño. Of well, beanie time.
 

Or, Mau could have said "Connie, I won't marry you unless it's an open marriage. I can see Moni all I want. I also get full custody of the kids. You get my surname and a monthly allowance". Mau is really a terrible negotiator.
 

Thanks for the kind words, Hombre and wow, you'd be a great negotiator. Or a lawyer helping someone else negotiate. Yep, Mau is a "motherless child" navigating very poorly in a canny adult world. No wonder he envies Monita's strong character and feels lost without her. He is!

Of course there's no way Oscar should be representing Connie. Or scheming against Mauricio at all. But alas, I'm personally acquainted with a lawyer and a financial adviser (both charming people) who scammed their clients out of a lot of money. These two were caught and eventually imprisoned. But how many more are there who haven't been caught yet? Scary.
 

Judy, as usual your recap was an enlightening and fun read. I wish I was better at remembering all the saucy dichos.

I think Beto's plan must have involved getting Constanza to get the kids out of the reformatory. The prison matron wouldn't let them leave with anyone else, and he now knows that Aldo is too mentally straightjacketed to break rules. I hope he really is fooling Coni, though, and once the kids are out he'll pass them off to Mauricio and Valentina somehow. Well, we'll see tonight. I was a little disappointed Moni didn't go back to her old ways and knock out the security guards. Either she is still weak or she really has matured a little.
 

Well, we'd really need our "beanies" if Monita were able to knock out two full-grown men one day out of a six-month coma. But yes! I like the idea.

Would be wonderful if Beto could schmooze our Matron with the nice gams (yes, Carlos, she DOES have shapely legs) and hijack the kids. But every time I get hopeful, I remember we have MONTHS to go on this one.

On the other hand, a dark day in Gancho would be a bright day in ENDA. Lots of mentally disturbed characters in that one. Your team should all get purple hearts (omigosh..WHAT did I say!...alright, not purple hurts. Maybe the Silver Star...)
 

Purple Hurts? Every day on ENDA is purple hurts.

Mauricio was moving Valentina's limbs for her while she was in coma, and Rolu had amazing washboard abs after more than six months of complete immobilization, so in our cartoon land I don't think it's completely inconceivable she could have knocked someone out. She always seemed to use superb technique more than brute strength anyway.

It's amazing to me that Aldo wasn't desperate to get out of there to be with Estrella. They really have killed his spirit, I fear.
 

Judy B, you are simply the best.
Menopausal lust? I am still picking myself off the floor. Isn't Oscar Mau's office council? Is Aldo on drugs? How is he protecting his siblings by keeping them locked up? Hope Connie gets hers soon. What a ..itch, feel free to fill the dotted line with whatever consonant who like.
Hanna
 

Carlos, in response to your comment last night, it seems to me that Coni sees her body as a capital item, to wit:

Constanza, Inc. Balance Sheet:
Assets:
Pretty face
Skinny bod
"Genitalia" (to be polite)
Liabilities:
Oh, gee, I can't think of a one.

In other words, she's running a business here. She lost on this deal just like my 401 tanked last fall.

Aldo: doing quite well, really, for a kid in that situation. Between the Matron and Coni usin mind games and the thug boys using force, Aldo is trying at all costs to minimize the mistreatment of his sisters. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Threats to a loved one are often more effective than threats to oneself.

Thanks, Judy - you have the nicest touch in putting together your recaps.
 

Jarocha, thanks for the correction on the use of "a" instead of "con." I have to admit that darn "a" gives me fits. I know there are times when it just doesn't translate into English,and I guess that is the problem. When it is not used to mean "to" or "at," it gets me every time! Coming from the standpoint of a norteamericana, it seems so randomly used, and I can't seem to apply a rule for its use or see its purpose. Can any of you other gringos help me out? Do you "get it?"
 

Judy, I love today's dicho. Having had cats almost all my life, I can easily understand the ferocity of a cat turned on it's back. I even have a few scars that are visual reminders of the folly of trying to hold an unwilling cat boca arriba. It also reminded me of a short story we read early in my Spanish lessons which is one of those stories that continue to haunt long after reading it. Nothing to do with upside down cats but titled la Noche Boca Arriba by Julio Cortázar.

Carlos
 

OBTW, I remember Juan in JQ calling his sidekick 'mi negro.'
 

Mike, you cracked me up with your CONI balance sheet.

Carlos
 

Julia...too funny..."purple hurts"...oh yeah, that's our Carlota.

Hanna...thanks for the nice words...and the not so nice word for Connie...she deserves a great big "B"!!!!

Deb, this Gringo can't help you. I never know if it's "a" or "de", never sure if it's "por" or "para" and feel quite self-conscious and inadequate whenever I try to speak it or write it. BUT if I were in a Spanish-speaking country for a while, I'm sure it would come. Maybe you can spend some vacation time south of the border. I believe Jarocha went to Canada this summer for some work on her already excellent English.
 

Mike, your spread sheet on Connie was a gem. Well said, amigo.

And Carlos, I would never tangle with a cat" boca arriba". Even our gentle Burmese will start scrabbling automatically when she's on her back. I guess that's how they defend themselves and even kill prey, clawing away at the soft underbelly of their attacker. Will check out your link. Thanks.
 

Yikes. You read that short story EARLY in your Spanish study!? That is some pretty snazzy complex prose. Just skimmed it. Will go back and look at it more closely but your tutor certainly had you moving along at breakneck speed, Carlos. Good for you.
 

Judy, before I started with my tutor I had completed the 3 courses on CDs called the Pimslear method which took about a year to finish. It really was quite good in teaching me to speak and understand though I had read virtually nothing nor knew anything at all about grammar. In retrospect it was a pretty effective way to learn to listen. Adriana taught me to read and understand grammar. I started watching TNs about that same time though I only discovered closed captions quite some time later.

This story is one of those that'll almost make one afraid to fall asleep at night. We read several of his stories but this was my favorite. I must admit that it was a bit of a challenge at the time, but she started me out with pretty challenging stuff from the very beginning. I thought that poetry was the most difficult because it is usually less literal.

Carlos



Carlos
 

GET YER TONGUE OUTTA MY MOUTH, 'CAUSE I'M KISSIN' YOU GOODBYE ... well... OK... but just the tip
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder