Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Gancho Tuesday Dec. 22, '09 I Love You. I Love You NOT!!!!! Well, I Love Somebody, Anyway

Tonight's episode was all about secrets. Some were kept. Some were teetering on shaky ground. Others were brought to light....deliciously. And a few were revealed with maximum cruelty. Not all fun and games. But not all sturm und drang either. A little bit of both.

Here's how it began: Jacqui is fluttering around, warning Connie and Beto of Mauricio's approach and playing the devoted mama to her son-in-law. Beto, in a panic, wants to head for the hills but Connie persuades him to hunker down in his natural habitat--the bathroom. This leaves her free to play the lying game with Mauricio one more time. Her lines: Yes, I'm pregnant. I'm having your baby because I love you, even if you don't love me. His lines: There's someone else. You've been cheating on me all along, even before we got married. Yada yada yada.

More yada yada with Estrella and Monita. Why are guys such swine? Why do they romance us and then drop us or betray us? Monita's convinced they're better off without 'em. Estrella's not so sure. She still wants to talk things out with Furia. Fine! snaps Monita, but don't come crying to me when he breaks your heart again.

Back to Mauricio and Connie. Same discussion but she's a better liar than he's a confronter. The real action is in the bathroom. Beto is wanting to go in the WORST WAY, biting a towel to resist but finally sinking down on the throne and "releasing some hostages". We're treated to a closeup of his relieved face. Well, you know what they say about simple pleasures....they're the best.

And speaking of simple, here's Ximena, still enthralled with vicious Rolu, finding his tantrums adorable and planning a fiesta to welcome his brother. A mystified Lalu looks on. How can she love this insulting, cruel goon? he wonders. As do we. Do you suppose Rolu's brother is destined to be her true love?

We ponder this as we find ourselves back with Beto, frantically opening the window to dispell the pungent Beto fumes. They're so bad they seep out the door and assail even Mauricio and Connie's nostrils, but she deftly blames the plumbing and says she's asked Teresa to see about it.

And presto, we are now at the Bug Lair where Estrella is frantically trying to wake a seemingly comatose Furia. She finally takes off his mask. It's Aldo!!!! And he still fails to wake up. Not until she throws a pitcher of cold water in his face does he come to. What are you doing here?! she asks. We'll get the answer later. And rather delightfully, I might add.

Mauricio, even armed with the sure knowledge that Connie has a lover, is-- you guessed it-- floundering. His IQ is no match for Connie's shrewdness and when he proposes that Jeronimo is the lover, she's aghast. Puh-leeze...that idiot! Besides, he's dating my mother! Nothing to do but for Mauricio to retreat. Clearly he's overmatched when it comes to his wife.

And Beto appears to be overmatched as well. Emerging from the bathroom, he proposes that the three of them, him, Connie and little Betito, run away someplace where nobody knows them. Because everyone knows the baby is mine! even my mother. Your mother is an idiot, snaps Connie. Careful sez Beto, my mother is sacred, she nursed me till I was 8 years old after all. Our silky liar disarms him completely, reassuring him that if it WERE his baby, she would tell him. But alas, it's simply and completely Mauricio's offspring. Nothing to do but accept that. Another defeated and befuddled male leaves the building.

Well, on to Rolu. Defeated and befuddled? Not hardly. He's about to strike back after months of mute paralysis in a full body cast, and then more months in leg casts and a wheelchair. He has finally emerged from his cocoon and it's gonna be ugly, folks. Of course Ximena doesn't see it coming. She's shooing off Lalo now that she knows Rolu is about to celebrate his freedom from the wheechair. She's going to wear her "elebayday" (LBD: little black dress) and drive him wild with desire. Their lovemaking will send fireworks up in the sky, so skedaddle Lalu! so we can get busy. Rolu, alas, has other plans. Let's compress these scenes and get the sad stuff over with quickly, okay? Xime is outlining the agenda: dinner in a romantic restaurant, strolling under the starlit sky, dancing, dancing, dancing and then coming back to make mad, passionate love. I'm going out but not with you, snarls Rolu. How could you be so idiotic as to think I loved you. Step by step he takes her back through the courtship.
X: But you loved me! You asked me to marry you!
R: How could I do that? I couldn't speak.
X: You wrote it on a sign.
R: How could I do that? I couldn't move.
X: You asked Jeronimo to write it for you.
R: How could I do that? I couldn't speak.
X: You communicated it with your eyes. You blinked twice meaning 'yes"
R: TWO BLINKS MEANT NO!!!!! I married you against my will, you idiot!
X: Well, then, why did you stay with me after you got out of the cast?
R: To make you suffer. But now I'm going to leave you because I HATE YOU!!!!

The final scene, which comes later in the episode, has a sadder but wiser Ximena getting therapeutic advice from Lalu. His tack is to save those expensive sessions with the psychologist and do a little role-playing on your own. Ximena has the wheelchair set up with a big pillow with Rolu's face drawn on it while she lip-synchs to "As Time Goes By". Where this therapy will lead eludes me, but at least it gives Ximena something to do. And if it works, so be it. Our plucky little heroine will survive to love another day, I'm sure.

While Ximena is busy having her heart broken and hopes dashed, Connie is storming though the Group Sermeño office like General Sherman. She plows through Ivan and Paula (Paula was instructing Ivan in proper office protocol); is temporarily diverted by a smooth Gabriela (I'll get you a cup of green tea, just the way you like it) and finally marches into HER HUSBAND'S office, only to find a pensive Monita( remembering Mauricio's promise of fidelity) and ready to take on the little street slut here and now. Gaby and the staff hover at the door, ready to jump in on Monita's behalf but she waves them away.

Connie starts in on a series of arrogant threats and questions. Why did you tell Mauricio I was sleeping with someone else?! And thank God he doesn't know it's Beto. But if you DO tell him, believe me, what happened to the kids before will seem like a fairy tale compared to what I'll put them through next!! And the baby is Mauricio's. You can be sure of that. I told him I wasn't on the pill. And he didn't use protection either. It's not a surprise. We BOTH wanted this baby.

Monita is stymied. She doesn't believe Connie but then again.... And she can't belt her because she's pregnant. So she storms off, much like Mauricio and Beto did earlier. Clearly Constanza, in full grrrrrrr mode, still has the upper hand.

Hey, enough of this nastiness. Let's wrap this up by savoring Estrella's discovery. Not all the secrets were cruel ones, after all. Of course it looks bad at first. She's grilling Aldo on the disguise. Well, he donned it because he admires Furia "un montón" (a lot). Oh my, the classic behavior of an immature guy, sniffs Estrella. But who is Furia really? "Me" says Mauricio, who arrives at that moment. OH NO!!!!

Estrella faints. Mauricio looks impactado. And Aldo looks bemused. They both get busy fanning our prostrate actress while nattering at each other: How could you bring her here? I didn't. She followed you here and learned where you lived. She found me in costume and......
The penny drops and Mauricio suddenly understands why Estrella was all over him at the gym. But, what really happened!? Papa adds. At that point Estrella comes to, shrieks that she's in love with the son but slept with the father! Question answered. Father and son exchange the classic impactado LOOK.

And now it really gets juicy. And funny. Estrella is raving about the wild bull love-making, the sizzling kisses, the....Aldo has that "tell me more" look on his face. But she suddenly segues into her role as the heroine of a real life Greek tragedy--like Melea (Medea, corrects Mauricio) or like Helen of Goya (Troya, says Mau) or that Benito guy (Oedipe interjects Mau) and there are a few more malapropisms but you get the picture. Estrella is circling the airport but can't quite land. But then she does...with a thud. After Aldo explains to her that she didn't sleep with his father, she slept with him! she faints once more.

When she comes to again, the misunderstandings are all cleared up, love and desire are remembered, celebrated.... and get an encore. All is well at the Bug Lair. For now anyway.

Mauricio has gone off with the express purpose of getting Furia back in Monita's good graces. And that will involve dropping the dime on who actually made mad passionate unforgettable exquisite (did I forget anything?) love with Estrella. At first Monita doesn't want to listen but he gradually gets his point across. He did it to help his little friend who is clearly in love with Estrella. And if you don't believe that's what happened, ask her. No problem. Monita's convinced and apologizes for the insults and the blows.

And after all, Furia goes on...I could never have anything with Estrella because I'm madly in love with someone else.
Who?
You, Monita. I'm in love with you.
And there our story ends. For this evening anyway.

Previews:
Jackie is warning Connie that Mauricio is about to discover the type of viper Connie really is. And Monita finally tells Mauricio aka Furia that Constanza's lover is Beto. BETO!!!!??? he yelps.

Vocabulary: Some of these we've had before, but they bear repeating. My high school chemistry teacher always said "Review and learn new" so we will.

dar portazo a la rata -= take a dump, "release hostages"
pedalajal = riff raff, hoi polloi, what Connie thinks of folks from the barrio
lejes y manejes = this may be mispelled. that's how my captions had it though. meaning the "ins and outs" of the office. what Paula was explaining to Ivan
sano juicio = right mind (Rolu sneering that no one in his right mind would love Ximena)
toro salvaje = wild bull (Aldo's passionate lovemaking)

Dicho of the Day

El que persevera alcanza. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. (Go Aldo!!!)

Labels:


Comments:
We're leaving at the crack of dawn tomorrow for Charlotte, so Merry Christmas everybody and I'll check in with CarayCaray when we get back in town. ¡Feliz Navidad!
 

Hey Judy, you're starting to spoil me with your getting your recaps up so quickly. I'm in awe. This recap is no exception to your standard for high quality and delightful mirth. What an up and down episode but I can't think of a dull moment. Everyone, especially you, was on her/his game tonight. You keep raising the bar.

I was actually afraid that you might drop out with Beto in the bathroom. What a soldier. I salute you. I was almost ready to just read about it in your recap, and we used an outdoor toilet until I was 4yrs old. Thanks, Beto. Thanks Judy, you handled a not so delicate scene delicately.

My favorite image of the night? Aldo's smug, sly smile as the details of that night unfolded between Mao and Estrella. Heady stuff for an adolescent. In real life I'd probably be appalled. In this cartoon... go Aldo!

I ached with Ximena. Her usually giddy demeanor made her suffering even more palpable. However, I was not surprised by her prompt recovery. Yea, Dr Lalo. Now, isn't it about time for Rolu to take another shot at flying?

Carlos
 

Travel safely, Judy. My regards to Baby Jack. Merry Christmas! ¡Feliz Navidad!

Carlos
 

Judy, THANK YOU for an absolutely stunning recab. I simply adored this episode, not sure why except that everything just seemed to crack me up. The scenes where Estrella kept fainting had me laughing out loud, not to mention I was cheering Aldo on. I guess I am now firmly on team Aldo. Even Beto's bathroom hijinx made me giggle, although at first I was confused as to what was going on. Duh.

Ximena will win, no ifs, ands or buts. Aldo is about to take a mighty fall. I think Judy may have called it, what better punishment could there be than for brother Herman to fall for Xime and steal her away?

Have a safe trip Judy and a very Merry Christmas to you.
 

Thanks guys, I'm gulping down an über-healthy breakfast (think homemade muesli with blueberries) before we head out for a looooong trip.
Why do our fertile offspring move so far away!!!
Aldo's smug pride was absolutely adorable. They picked the actor well because he portrays youthful rage, impetuosity, tenderness and whoppin' big ego all at the same time.
What's that great line? we're all egomaniacs with an inferiority complex. Anyway, Aldo plays a very nice mix. As do the rest of the cast.
I left out the cute scene with Gabriela and Sal billing and cooing all over each other, but that was a funny one too.
And doesn't Jacqui look more and more like Connie every day? They've done something to her hairstyle that makes them look frighteningly alike. At least we know Connie will age well....if she lives!
 

Thanks for another wonderful, exciting, funny and educational (vocab and dicho) recap, Judy. Enjoy your family visit!

Its seems as if many of our relationships have settled down now. Gabi/Sal looks good, Paula has Cris (although marriage is an issue), and Estrella can't escape her destiny with Aldo. That leaves Ximena/?, Moni/Mau and (maybe) Connie/Beto. And Jerry/Jacky!? Anyway, it just seems that since many of the side issues have been resolved, they'll have to spend a lot more time on our main characters, since there are so many episodes left. Unless they introduce new characters.

I am really loving Ximena (or the actress who plays her). She speaks very clearly in Spanish, even with all her little fresa-isms, she speaks very good English, she's beautiful, and has such wonderful, positive energy. I don't care that Rolu was technically correct in his explanation that he married against his will. He must suffer!
 

Thanks for the recap and vocab Judy. I'm glad you were able to see the bright side of an up and down episode. Traveling mercies. I know you will enjoying the holidays with you family.

I have to ask Judy what made you make the comment "if Connie lives"?

Thanks for your great recap Carlos. I have to admit the comments you and Hombre make about Mau's stupidity are hysterical to me. Thank you both for the laughs!

Hombre, I'm so with you. Rolu must suffer.

I'm finally finished with the semester and with my family for the holidays!! I hope everyone has safe travels and wonderful times with their loved ones.
 

I read this earlier but haven't commented yet figuring you'll read when you get back anyway, but of course this is wonderful. I love your play by play of Rolu's "acquisition" does sort of lay it out in his favor.. :) Poor Ximena. We know that was mostly Jero's doing though.

Anyway hope you had a great time with the little ones and a wonderful holiday!!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder