Saturday, January 16, 2010

Gancho, Friday, January 15th. It's Oscar Night, and He’ll Tell You All About It


After the frightening events of the last few days, including a near rape of Estrella, and a heart attack for Salvador, we’ve been hoping for some relief, some happiness, some comedy. So many times, our villains have been bumblers, making far-reaching plans, conniving, striving to get money, power, and whatever else makes their evil hearts quiver. Most of the time, however, La Monita has appeared to save the day, as has Cristian, and even Beto. But not today. As Thomas Paine said “These are the times that try men’s souls”. So without further ado, let’s see what evil hath been wrought. In order to give you a better idea of what makes these evil guys tick, I’m going to try to give you a villain’s eye point of view. How would Oscar tell the story? Of course, he wasn’t in every scene, so in the other scenes, I’ll have someone else give you the scoop.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Oscar: Okay, guys, that wimp Sal seems to have a heart attack or something, bfd, wait, he’s gonna hit me in the chops? I’ll just kick him in the chest. Twice. Ya like that, softie? Hah, he’s down on the floor. Oh, you want an ambulance? Whoa, Coni darling, don’t you dare try to call, I’ll just rip the phone out of the wall. I can’t believe Connie’s kneeling down next to him, is she sorry for the nerd? I think she said she WANTS Grupo Sermeño to buy the vecindad. That way she’ll not only own everything of Mau’s, but also everything of Moni’s. Ah, that’s the evil Coni I know.

Beto: What is my soul brother doing? He seems to be viewing some kind of black and white film in his head. Okay, now I see. La Mamá of Monita really didn’t give him a choice. If he didn’t go along with her, she was going to tell Moni she hated her from the day she was born. The other choice was that Isabel would act real nice to Moni for a few weeks, then “die”, and Moni would have those happy memories. Okay, I get it, but Constanzia saw that dame earlier today, she may be getting close to the truth. Know what, bro’? Moni had better not find out, because that would destroy her life! Ooops, speak of the devil. So, Monita, you ask whose life is going to be destroyed? Uyyyyy!

Oscar: Well, I’m checking this joker’s pulse, I guess he’s still with us, but I’ll let Coni stew about it a bit. Listen babe, we’re not calling an ambulance, and certainly not the police. I’ll handle everything. We’re both in this, and it’s better that you leave. And don’t you dare breathe a word that either of us was even here. Oh, you’re not a murderer? Who cares? You’ll do just what I say. Yeah, I’m grabbing her shoulders, so what? She ain’t gonna cross me.

Beto: Well, if Moni wants the truth, I might as well let it out. It’s something really big. (Mau looks worried). It’s life changing (Mau is more worried). It’s that…..I now know who my Papá is! Moni tells me, Great, but what’s that about destroying someone’s life? Oh, well, he’s a famous person on TV, and if I go to find him, he’d think it would destroy his life, you know how those celebrities are. Anyway, I confronted my Ma, and she spilled the soup. So who is it? It’s Juan José Origél, El Pepillo is my “papillo”.

Oscar: So, Connie, you say we have to get rid of the body, maybe put it in the trunk of my car? Sorry, there’s no room in my trunk. You ask if I collect cadavers in my trunk? (if you only knew). Calm down, hon’. Everyone knows Salvador is going to Venezuela tomorrow. I’ll make arrangements for someone else to take the flight in his place, and no one will be the wiser. So leave, and let me handle this. Okay, she’s leaving. Babe? Who was that woman who wanted to see Mauricio? What do you mean, none of my business? Well, fine, but remember, when you get divorced, we’ll settle accounts. There she goes, I think I’ll just give Sal a little kick, the bum. Oh, he’s whispering something. “Gabriela”. Hah, how touching. Here’s a little red rose I’ll drop on your chest, you loser.

Beto: So, Moni, you ask if I’m sure about this Papá thing? Oh, here comes my jefa! Looks like her hair’s all done up purty for the bachelorette party Gabi’s having tonight. Let’s see, some little curls, pink bows, red feathers, she’s still pure Nieves. Moni’s asking Nieves what’s up with my Papá? Nieves seems to be dodging the question, saying she has to get dressed up for the party, she wants to look good when she talks to her consuegra Jacqui.

Paula: Estrella’s really upset, I’ll see if I can get her out of her funk by getting her to go to the bachelorette party. Ah, she doesn’t want to go, doesn’t want to do anything, she’s so upset about those boys, and Aldo, I can understand that. Look, Estre, lots of guys brag about their conquests. Right, not Cristian, and not Mau, but look at Beto and the other nacos, they all brag. And women gossip about stuff, too. Oh, she’s telling how those boys almost had their way with her, if Moni hadn’t saved her. She wanted to fight, but was so scared. I’ll try to calm her down. Wait, here come Beto, Mau and Monita. Mau’s asking Estre why she’s crying, and if she had a problem with his son.

Aldo: What went wrong? I’m sitting here in the dark (no, of course I’m not crying). Wait, I remember that guy Oscar said I could call him anytime. Where is that phone number? Ah, right here in the drawer. I’ll call. Damn, here’s Katia walking into my room without knocking! What do you want, Katia? Right, you want to be friends, you want me to tell you what happened, well, sorry, I really need you to leave me alone know, so out the door you go. Good, she’s gone, I’m calling that number.

Estrella: Hmmm, El Príncipe wants to come into my room to talk. Well, I guess I have to be nice, but I really can’t tell him what happened, no way! So, Príncipe, why was I crying? Well, I’m just sensitive, you know how we actresses are, living life in each moment. Aldo, sure everything’s fine with him, just fine, just, ummm, fine. Ah, you don’t believe me, you’re taking my hands, looking into my eyes, you want me to be honest. Well, okay, you’re right, Aldo and I had a little argument, you know, that happens with all couples, no? And I didn’t become Aldo’s novio if the first little problem I have, I’m supposed to discuss it with his Dad. No, we’ll handle it, don’t you worry, now I just have to get ready for that party (I hope he bought that act).

Paula: Right, I’m just gossiping with Moni about Aldo and Estrella. We’re both agreeing how much of a problem they have, she won’t go for the pregnancy test, and if they had the baby, well Aldo’s really not ready for that, and it would be quite a mess (she said sería una movida de tapete así toda cañona, which I guess is it would be a move of the carpet, totally like a cannon, or maybe pulling the rug out from under him). Hmmm, wonder if Estrella’s telling Mau the truth right now? Oh, here he comes. Seems fine, just says Aldo and Estrella had their first little lover’s quarrel. I guess she didn’t tell him. Whoa, here comes Nieves, look at her! She’s got on a shiny pink top, and THIS pocketbook looks like a little doggie with a bow. Where does she buy those bags? She’s had a cow, a lion, and now a puppy. And here’s Estrella, ready to go. Mau will take us to the party, but I see Moni’s asking him to drop us off at the corner, so those two won’t be seen together. But look at him kissing her! They’re walking together pretty close for two people who don’t want the people to see them together.

Jackie: Welcome to Ladies Night! We’ve got red heart balloons, lots of red, pink and white flowers, this Nieves is a trip, talking about doing three passes through the neighborhood, showing off her outfit, what does she mean, asking if she needs to hang herself up on the wall, or mortar (colgarme el molcajete)? I guess she thinks her outfit makes her look like a decoration. She thinks she looks better than I do, when I’m wearing this fur coat? Ah, I’ll humor her. Yes, dear, you look divine. Oyyy, she’s telling me how she got her nails and toes done, and what? And if you tip them, they’ll file your corns and bunions (te liman los callos y juanetes)? Too much information. I think I need a drink.

Nieves: Uh oh, here comes Moni, looking pretty in a white dress with an orange top, and Paula, also nice in her blue print dress. What do you mean, you want the truth about Beto’s Dad? What do you mean, was it a lie? Well, um, well, what did you want me to say? He asked me, he insisted, and the truth is very painful. Isn’t it better Beto is happy, thinking his father is a famous person, than knowing the ugly truth? (Viewers, the parallel to the Moni/Isabel situation is quite evident here). So, girls, you ask what happens if Beto tries to confront El Pepillo? Ain’t gonna happen, that dude’s got guards, reporters can’t get near him, nor can girls, so my Betito, the mutt (chucho) he is, won’t even get close to him.

Mauricio: Guess I’ll call Sal’s cell. Hmm, no answer. I’ll leave a message, Sal, what happened with that lawyer, please call, ASAP. That should do it. Hmmm, I’m worried about Connie and Isabel, too. If I only had a brain.

Estrella: I’m standing here, feeling out of place, slowly munching on some little snacks, alone, down, and Gabi’s gabbing away with Ximena. Gabi’s so happy about her marriage, picturing her honeymoon, kids, what things’ll be like in 20 years. Not me, of course. Oh, there goes Xime with her 3 things. Una, Salvador is a real man (un tipazo), he’s got a few years on him, but he’s great. Dos, he adores you, and you’re going to be very happy with him. And Tres, Estrella seems to be somewhat absent from this party. Oh, they’re asking me if I had problems with Aldo. No more, girls, we broke up. Oh Xime’s cheering me up, telling me not to worry, I’m pretty, I have a great ability to attract men. And also a great ability that they leave? Xime! Gabi’s suggesting Tano. No, he’s just a friend. What, Xime, you’re suggesting your brother in law Arnoldo? Sorry, girls, at this point I don’t want any Aldos, Tanos, Arnie’s no guys, really.

Isabel: I love standing here in my hotel room in front of a creepy orange curtain doing nothing, just letting the evil music play. Ah, there’s the doorbell. Who could it be? I’ll just walk over in my severe, belted dress and heels and see. Oh her, the Momia. I don’t feel like talking to her, but here she comes, walking into my room with that attitude. Well, we’ll see who’s in charge.

Jackie: Game time, girls, I’m going to hand out these toilet paper rolls to everyone. Hmmph, that naca Nieves thinks we ate too much food, and need to get it out. No, sweetie, these rolls are to dress the novia, it’s a game we play, and some of the games are erotic, so watch out! Ahhh, they liked that part, they’re all getting into the spirit, wrapping paper around our Gabi.

Isabel: I know who you are, the Momia, Valentina told me all about you. Bad things, you ask? For sure. Now get out. Oh, you want to talk. I don’t. You ask if I know what I’ve done to you? Sorry, I don’t care. So you’re taking my hand, putting it on your belly, telling me that my car crashed into you, and you were pregnant, you lost your baby. You want twenty minutes of my time. Fine, sit down. You want to know all about my “death” and most importantly, how Mauricio sullied himself (se enlodó). Fine.

Oscar: Hey, folks. Missed me? I’m out here in the pitch dark (except for my car’s headlights), shoveling dirt on that scumbag lawyer. Yeah, I needed more room in my trunk, so he’s six feet under now. Yeah, I know his pesky little twisted, bloody hand is still sticking out, I’ll just cover it with some more dirt. Ah, the cellphone’s ringing. Good evening, Mauricio, aren’t you calling a little late? Aldo? Ah, you say he gave you his phone. Well, what’s up? Right, I said you could call anytime, but I’m a little busy now. What, you say you can’t sleep, you can’t relax? (Hmmm, I’ll just hold my hand over the phone and get into this ambulance. Yes, here’s Salvador, unconscious but alive, some tubes attached, and this EMT guy I hired says he’s stable now, he doesn’t have to go to the hospital). What’s that? You want your money, young man? Well, you’ll just have to be patient. Aldo? No, I can’t come tonight, a relative of mine had a heart attack and I can’t leave him alone. I’ll never leave him alone (I think I’ll stroke Sal’s forehead menacingly). Try to rest, Aldo, I promise I’ll call you tomorrow. Bye. Ah, Salvador, I see you’ve opened your eyes but can’t move. It seems your best friend’s son is returning to drugs. And you, you’re dying here. What a shame. Drugs kill, you know.

Isabel: Okay, we have a deal, Momia, but I don’t trust women like you. Ah, you don’t trust me, either, but you admire me? Why? The plan I devised (urdí) to fake my death. Well, circumstances can make one do all sorts of things. But I’ll comply with my part of the deal, I’ll be patient, but I assure you, you don’t want me as your enemy. I see she’s getting up, telling me good night. Well, good night, Momia. Oh, you say your name is Constanza, and it bugs you to hell (se revienta) when I call you Momia. Fine, I’ll keep that in mind. See you later. Momia.

DAYS LATER

Mauricio: Well, I’m sitting here in the office, and Gabi, looking nice in a black and white dress, she forgot I wanted the afternoon free, she seems preoccupied. She’s telling me she hasn’t been able to locate the lawyer or Salvador, she’s left lots of messages for Sal, and his cell is always off. She says she’s a bunch (manojo) of nerves, and when she’s nervous, she eats. In fact, yesterday, she ate a whole box of cookies. I’m telling her I called the director in Venezuela, the meetings have been fruitful (gotta get that food image in), so he must be there. She’s not convinced, tells me Ivan is waiting to see me. Okay, there she goes, taking four or five cookies I had conveniently sitting on my desk.

Oscar: Here I am at an outdoor café eating with Jerónimo, talking on the phone. Yes, the guy I set up in Venezuela is doing his job to make it look as if Sal is there. Good. Hah! Jerry’s so clueless, he’s happy that Sal’s “trip” took him out of the way, and he’s grateful we haven’t heard from that lawyer. If he only knew. What did I do to buy the lawyer’s silence? Everyone has his price, Jerónimo, the important thing is we’ll get the money to buy the vecindad. Jero’s telling me pretty soon we can knock down that tenement. But Jerry, Connie’s still sticking her nose in things wanting to “own” Moni’s neighborhood. So, Jerry, you’re impatient for your money? I’ll deal with Constanza, and you don’t need to know how. So split. Besides, I’m waiting to meet with someone, and your presence would not be good. So leave. Ah, there he goes. Of course, I’m stuck with the bill as usual.

Mauricio: Gee, when I was Ivan’s age, did I wear a navy blue shirt with white collar and cuffs, and a red tie? He really looks a little silly with that long black hair. Oh wait, he’s talking. I think he said he misses Luisa. Well, I’ll tell him to be patient. As soon as I get my divorce, he’ll have more time with Luisa. I’ll give him a nice pat on the shoulder, everything will be just fine with Luisa, you won’t lose her.

Coni: I was reading the script, and since Mauricio just said Ivan can’t lose Luisa, I’ll immediately cause just that to happen. I’m wearing a sleek blue grey high waisted summer dress, several necklaces, and I just happen to have dug up that musician boy Andrés, the one from Luisa’s school, who’s here with his acoustic guitar. Luisa, dear, look who’s here!

Andrés: I brought this guitar with me because it always gets the chicks. I’m also wearing my shirt open three buttons, so I can’t miss. Let’s try the sensitive approach. Um, why so sad, Luisa? I’ll pretend to be a good listener. She’s telling me she hates the Momia, and she and her sibs are suffering. I’m not really believing this, but I’ll play along. So Luisa, what about your novia, Ivan. He’s just a friend? (Yes!!) Well, Luisa, I know how to make all the hurt go away. I take my guitar, play a totally out of tune chord, and the actress playing Luisa actually keeps a straight face! Now THAT’s acting. Anyway, the sound man knows that although I can sing, I can’t play guitar worth crap, so they dub the guitar along with my voice, and I start my seductive song of luuuuuve. Lots of waking up, the sun, the morning, thinking of you (pensando en ti). Just to rub it in, I understand the director showed some shots of Ivan crying, recalling his kisses with Luisa, tough luck, bud! Ah, yes, Luisa’s perking up. I sure do love myself (whoops, I mean Luisa).

Oscar: I’m really getting bored sitting at this table. Ah, here comes my mystery guest, young Aldo. I’ll give him some cock and bull. Ah young man, I know what it’s like to grow up. My old man once locked me up in the basement for a week. So I understand your pain. You don’t have to live like that, with a dark gray vision of life. You need colors! (Did I really say that?). I slide a little baggie over towards him, filled with blue and white pills. I lean towards the dupe for effect, raise my eyebrows. With these pills, all your troubles will go away. Believe me. He takes the pills. Ah dear audience, you’ve just seen a master at work. I, Oscar, am the king of evil. Carlota on ENDA? Just a pretenda. Bruno on Sortilegio? Well, nothing rhymes with legio, but I’m badder. Believe me. Huuuuah! You can COUNT on it!



Previews: They ask “Who was that masked man?” I think he’s been wrestling with his identity for quite some time, but he’s a Tonto. I, Oscar, however, am tanto, tanto, tanto better than he ever was!

Vocabulario: I buried it throughout this recap, just like I did to that licensiado!

Labels:


Comments:
Hahaha! Hombre you are absolutely brilliant! I feel like I should give you a prize or an award. "If I only had a brain" was one of the funniest of the funny. Oh no, maybe this was, "I love standing here in my hotel room in front of a creepy orange curtain doing nothing, just letting the evil music play." That was definitely the funniest. No wait, Andres' monologue was the funniest, yep, that was the best. Heck they were all good.

You did an amazing job of taking a dark episode and actually lightening it up. Whatever the muse is that inspires I hope you are able to keep it close.

This telenovela really didn't have a true villain before and now it has one in Oscar. I'm afraid Coni is coming perilously close. I'm not just saying this for Carlos but I do hope she can redeem herself. That doesn't mean I don't want to slap her face or yank her hair though. Let's keep that straight.

Hombre, you are a treasure. Thank you thank you thank you for your interpretation of last night's episode.
 

Hombre, what an exquisitely clever recap. Now I understand why Melinama pays you the big bucks. I'm with Sylvia, Just when I think, now that's the funniest, you zing us with another. In addition, you and Nieves have all but confirmed that we'll be seeing Pepillo Origél show up:

"So, girls, you ask what happens if Beto tries to confront El Pepillo? Ain’t gonna happen, that dude’s got guards, reporters can’t get near him, nor can girls, so my Betito, the mutt (chucho) he is, won’t even get close to him."

Something to look forward to?

Super well crafted, Hombre.

He sets up. He shoots. He scores!

Hat's off to you mysterious one.

Carlos, frantically pondering a way to follow this.
 

Carlos...yes! We will be seeing el Pepillo won't we? Hurrah, something to look forward to, I love cameos.

Warning: I am about to show my dark side. I always enjoy seeing how villains meet their ultimate demise. I am already imagining Oski's end because it's now certain he will have one.

Carlos, I think you are the perfect candidate to follow Hombre because your recaps are always the best. Trust me, you don't need to worry.

Hombre, Wizard of Oz is my favorite movie which is why I loved "if I only had a brain." Also, I am a sucker for the Oscars so your title is extra special. Thanks again.
 

Hombre thanks for the recap. I echo Sylvia and Carlos sentiments; this was brilliant. I particularly liked your take on Jacky with Nieves revealing TMI. And your commentary on Andres and his poor singing and guitar playing abilities was fun too.

On a sad note, ITA with your conclusion about Beto's father. I actually did understand what Nieves was saying and my mind immediately went there. While I want writers to be creative, one rule of genre conventions should be once you introduce rape into the story it cannot be a comedy.

Carlos, your analogy using cartoons and symphonies was very good. I just wish we weren't going to route. Continuing Judy's hijacking theme, I feel like I'm on a crazy train (a la Ozzy Ozbourne). We were all having such a good time but those pesky writer keep creating these horrible scenarios as if there were EDNA not Gancho.

Yes Oscar is a true villain now. I'm really worried about Sal. He's been through a lot first the poisoning and now this. Once he and Gabi marry, the writers need to let them be in bliss, which I know many think is boring, for the duration of the novela.
 

What an imaginative way to tell the story, Hombre. You nailed it. I laughed at: "If I only had a brain". So very true. They must send the galans to 'clueless school' or give them 'dumb pills' or something. At least the acting is good, poor guys.

Happy Birthday, Elna June! Mike saw your late-night post. Have a great one.
 

Karen, was Nieves raped? I guess I forgot that. Now that you mention it I vaguely recall that Isabel and Nieves had the same experience and chose vastly different paths for raising their children, is that correct? I'm confused. Sometimes my brain is like a sieve, or maybe I have selective memory.

Elna June, I missed that it is your birthday. Happy Birthday!!
 

Hombre...add me to the folks who are in awe. Thanks for mentioning that off-key chord the little snot-singer struck. I'm going Qué the hell? Dubbing explains it the improve playing subsequently but I loved your commentary.

I hated this episode but at least Salvador is still alive (for now). The only good moments were when Isabel was being so nasty to
Constanza (sorry Carlos). I actually liked Isabel last night.

But am absolutely miserable with the way this telenovela is going (not withstanding your brilliant, creative recap). Am about to become a professional full-time pouter and sulker.

Elna June...Happy Birthday to you! Two of my favorite students have birthdays today AND my son's birthday was yesterday along with Emilia's. And mine was Dec. 30....so I agree. CAPRICORNS RULE!!!! Anyone want to join me in the sulker's corner?

Hombre...thanks again for coming up with something really fresh and creative. Had I to do this recap, I simply would have groused and complained all the way through. Your approach was much better.
 

Make room in the sulkers' corner! Can I bring my knitting? We may be there awhile!
 

I wanna be a sulker too, except that I'm one of those perpetually cheerful people, how obnoxious. Can I come to the corner if I bring my crossword puzzle and promise not to be perky? I may not sulk but I'll kick the wall and harrumph once or twice. Will that do?
 

Love it! Yes, please come and join me in the sulker/grouser/complainer/kvetcher corner even if you're a deep-down optimist....the hell with knitting and crosswords though, BRING FOOD!!!!
 

Coconut cake????
 

'fraid I'm an optimist also, but I'm good at holding your hand while you fret and stew. Howzat?
 

Oh yes, coconut cake!!!! I'll bring my electric frying pan (not to be used for whacking) just in case we want some biscuits and gravy.
 

Gasp! I am in AWE of the man recappers on this show. Hombre, I HATED tonight's show but you knocked the recap out of the park.
The characterizations were brilliant and added to my understanding of what, for me, is a new story.

A couple of thoughts, Oscar is just awful. I know that this comment shows my masterful grasp of the obvious, but killing the lawyer, kicking happily betrothed Sal in the chest after a heart attack, and pushing pills on Aldo. Oscar, you, you, you....zit on a rattlesnake's face!

And speaking of reptiles, Isabel has the flattest, blackest most affect-less eyes. I have seen real-life sociopaths with a greater spark of humanity in their faces. How does the actress do it? I was creeped out for hours after this episode.

Well, despite the turn into the shadow side that Gancho has taken. I am going to stay to enjoy the delightful company and literary style recaps done by this group.

However, even though I am new, I would like a small space in the sulkers corner. Waaa...I came over here for FUN and because Carlos made such persuasive appeals on the Sortilegio board, even, I believe, comparing Gancho to Moliere.

May the fleas of a thousand mangy camels infest the undergarments of the writers at Televisa and schedulers at Univision.
 

All:
thanks for your birthday wishes. I really appreciate your kind thoughts.

EJ
 

Emilia, now you're scaring me. First your skills with a skillet that go far beyond its intended original purpose, and now knitting. I recall that Madam Defarge sat placidly knitting as she watched over the proceedings that followed the French Revolution. Hmmm.

So Judy, snacks will be served at the pout-in? Color me there.

Carlos
 

Did anyone see The Soup last night ? It featured a clip of Jero and Oscar waking up in a bed with the female impersonator !
 

Yep, coconut cake for sure. (My mom always made this for OUR birthdays so I'm on board.) And anything Sylvia wants to make. How about some milanesas? Carlos, you bring some of those succulent oysters you've been tormenting us with. And I'll bring some of the pepper-crusted tenderloin with chimichurri sauce that I'm making for my son today....plus some tender-crusted homemade apple pie. Hey I'm feeling better already! Good food. Good company. Works for me.

Elna June, you've got quite a way with words. Is recapping in your future? Come to the corner with food and appetite, amiga. We'll talk more.
 

I am SO staying with this crowd! Great writers, delightful company, kind wishes, lovers of animals and now FOOD! You guys are my tribe.

To the sulker'c corner, I bring a cocido that is a vegetarians nightmare. I don't eat much meat but I say for feeding a good pout you should do it up brown. So the cocido is a meat stew, with beef, jamon, chicken (and yes, you can add duck) and garbanzo beans, in a garlic, tomato and onion base. I first had it at an amazing fiesta in Andalusia, where it was served with a very light, very fino sherry.

Sigh. May I have some of Emilia's coconut cake? I have never had coconut cake but it sounds divine.
 

Really, Susanlynn. I love it when he makes fun of telenovelas. That Jero/Lalu/Oscar scene was the last "good time" that we had with Gancho, I think.
 

Cocido sounds great, Elna June. Just the thing for a good sulk. Fino sherry doesn't hurt either. And the more the merrier!
 

Oh and Elna June~~~Happy Birthday and wishes for many more!!!~~~Susanlynn, dealing with Saturday chores, preparing the the ''spring semester to start on Monday, and soothing a hubby who fixed computer just crashed again
 

Judy B you are a dungeon-mistress of a recapper yourself, so coming from you that comment is most flattering.

Recapping will only be in my future if my Spanish improves significantly. So, aside from watching TNs, do you have any suggestions for making me bi-lingual?
 

Mike and I had a late breakfast (leftover sausage and cornbread with scrambled eggs, only health food for us!!) that we decided not to have lunch, but you guys are killin' me!

EJ, you are a great writer. Hope to see you as a recapper soon.

--Emilia (out of my league!)
 

My culinary contribution will be a chocolate eclair cake that I used to make which got rave reviews ..especially from the menfolks and teen boys . It is easy and delicious, and you make it the day before and refrigerate it. ~~~Susanlynn, basking in sunshine and 50 degree temp and getting ready for a walk in the park with Hub
 

Elna June, as I watched Isabel interact with Coni I was seeing Mary Richards after a Night of the Living Dead transformation.

E J, Happy Birthday! Did you get the birthday card I left for you last night?

Carlos
 

Carlos:

Thank you SO much. I just found your birthday card! You dear! Thanks you so much for all of your kind wishes.
 

Hi, all. I actually have food to blame for the recap. I had started it out in my usual "sensitive" style :), but then I started eating nutella (on a toasted bagel). Problem was, I took the knife and the nutella jar downstairs with me, and after the bagel was gone, I still had the knife and the jar. Well, one thing led to another, the stuff started seeping into my brain, and I got a crazed look. I deleted the five paragraphs I had done (after the introduction), and then just started channeling Oscar's evil.

Sulkers' corner, sounds great! Can I bring my guitar? I promise I won't play anything like Andrés, (the kid does have a nice voice, and is good looking. Hope Luisa doesn't fall too far for him).

Judy, despite all the things that have happened to Sal, I'm confident he'll be okay. It was just too early for Gabi to be totally happy, given the extension. Keep the faith.

Elna June, glad you're gradually getting the backstories filled in through watching the shows and reading the recaps. ITA about Isabel's eyes. Chilling, although I think the intense makeup helps. And happy birthday, gal!
 

Carlos:
"A night of total TERROR"...That is what it would be like to hang with Iasbel. And your Mary Richards transformation...I am ROTFL.

Also, Sr Fernandez, as he appeared in the video (tight yellow velvet, HELLO!) would be a great match up for Nieves. They would probably tussle over who got to wear the bling, but, hey, at her age—and min, anything that gets the blood moving is a good thing.

Hombre—are you blaming last night's brilliance on Nutella or the bagel? Isn't this just a bit like the Twinkie defense?

Oh, my, I am talking too much...
 

EJ, it's the Nutella, of course, there's just a little too much NUT in it.
 

Mmmmmmm...Nutella! I should have tried that before my recap Hombre, suspecting what was in store. I'll have to go pick up a jar and keep it for an emergency. Unfortunately with Nutella around waking up could constitute as an emergency.

EJ, you definitely have what it takes to be a recapper. Your descriptions and oaths are a wonder. Remind me to stay on your good side! Love the twinkie defense, that's a flash from the past.


JudyB, your sulker's corner sounds like a right party! And yes, I can definitely whip up some Milanesas in that electric pan. What a pot luck! I had huevos rancheros for brekkies and was going to skip lunch but not I'm not so sure, especially because I keep smelling those lamb shanks in the crock pot.
 

OK, one last question and I promise to shut up. It must be the BD stars that are making me manic...

Please, all, explain the cultural significance of Juan José Origél, El Pepillo. Is he very famous? Revered?
 

Emilia, belated birthday wishes.

I'd like to come to the sulking corner also. Cooking is not my forte but my family enjoys the German Chocolate Cake I fix from scratch every Christmas so I'll bring that.

Elna June - Happy Birthday. Your post about a secret meeting code to meet other bloggers in public the other night on Sort had me in hysterics.
 

You all are killing me with all the food talk! Coconut cake,apple pie, etc. It's not quite the 3rd week of the New Year, so I absolutely cannot abandon my New Year's Resolution to lose a few pounds! May I still come to the sulker's corner, though? I qualify: I'm still ticked off about the upcoming time change and the possibility of missing the rest of the series. I'll bring my best Weight Watcher recipe and you won't even know it's actually healthy!

My hubby's out and about this afternoon talking to all his geek tech buddies for EASY, low cost ideas to record the show. We're not big TV watchers, other than the news and my one-telenovela-at-a-time addiction, so we're not up for any big, fancy, COMPLICATED or pricey options. Let's all pray he gets a great idea that even we two old goobers can figure out without wasting the entire weekend!!!!

Well, we had all of 2 minutes of Ximena and her 3 cosas last night, but even that didn't lighten up this episode.

Hombre, thanks for taking a dark, icky episode and putting a humorous and clever spin on it! Your zinger at the end of the recap, "Vocabulario: I buried it throughout this recap, just like I did to that licensiado," was very funny. Ditto for "If I only had a brain."

Oscar is horrible! Can we call him something other than "Oily Oscar?" Yes, he oozes and panders and slips through everyone's radar, except Gabi and Sal, who have his number. But Oily just isn't a strong enough word. How about Odious, Objectionable, Obliterating Oscar?

I didn't understand a lot of what Oscar was saying about Sal to either Coni or in the ambulance to the EMT. I thought he would leave him to die, but what's with the ambulance and getting him stable? Is he just buying time so they can get the vecinidad? But then what? Sal will be squealing and ratting him out. Can anyone shed anymore light on this for me? I don't quite get his plan.

Was Nieves raped in her younger years? I missed that. I do think she mentioned something about being pregnant and left at the altar, so I thought that was the source of her shame and reticence in discussing Beto's father.

Hombre, ITA with you on Coni: "I was reading the script, and since Mauricio just said Ivan can’t lose Luisa, I’ll immediately cause just that to happen." As I said a day or so ago, she always just "happens" to show up to hear something that will give her more ammunition. Since she didn't hear Mauricio say it, she just had to go on instinct,"Let's see...whose life haven't I tortured this week? Hmm..."
 

And one more thing:

Even though it was a dark, dark, uncomfortable episode to watch, I did have to smile a little watching Constanza and Isabel act like the b****es they are trying to see who will be the alpha dog! Isabel was cold and conniving, having a little fun with the yapping pup. Constanza tried to land on top, but Isabel "won" when Coni told her the name is "CONstanza," yet Isabel put her back in her place by calling her Momia. (Did you notice she emphasized "Con" when she said her name? A symbol that she wants to work "WITH" Isabel? Hmmm...)

I know I had a dog-theme going there, but the two of them reminded me of my two cats, Fiona and Rajah. Fiona is older and is a tuxedo cat, not unlike Isabel in age and coloring. Rajah, whom we affectionately call Psycho-Kitty, is younger and is lighter colored with stripes, not unlike Coni and her highlighted tresses. Rajah is always doing psychotic things like hiding, stalking, and pouncing on our young grandchildren and even Fiona. She is particularly vicious to men: acts all nice and then hisses and strikes, also not unlike Coni. Hence, the nickname of Psycho-Kitty. Occasionally when Fiona has had enough, she will just reach out a paw and pin Rajah's head down as if to say, "Basta, ya! Cut the crap!I'm the older one, and I am in charge!" Not unlike Isabel calling Constanza, "Momia," as they parted.

Are they teaming up or did Constanza just want the dirt on Mau? This is going to be an interesting duo to watch.

Sorry for the long rant today! I guess I more than made up for the many months I've been reading and not commenting. I'll do better int he future!

Happy birthday yesterday to Emilia and today to Elna June!
 

Wow, what fun. I took a break and came back and found a veritable cascade of comments....and more food! The French love Nutella, Hombre. You're very continental in your addictions.

Elna June, Kris (I think) provided a link to Pepillo in her recap Wednesday. He's a well-known gossip columnist and now TV star whose also had a "lot of work done". Looks like handsome and well-preserved. Hmmm...maybe Jarocha providced the link. Can't remember. Anyway, it was there in one of last week's recaps and/or blog lines.

Love all the food and all the people coming! Let the party begin.
 

PS.... DEB, those cat stories are a hoot. Our cat used to live with a lot of other cats (her mistress was a Burmese cat breeder) and at least one dog. She doesn't have any one to chase her around any more but she will yowl in a particularly challenging way...and keep yowling until I chase her. I admit, to my shame, that I also yip frantically, instinctively knowing that's what she wants. God help me if a stranger were to walk in when we're having these jousts.
 

The El Pepillo link was in the body of Kris's Wednesday recap.
 

Thank you for the recap Hombre. I haven't seen the episode but I already read the recap and I loved your points of views from the characteres. Very original.

Happy Birthday Elna June! I hope you stay with us even though you got here in time for the darker time of this show. Don't worry though, there's still going to be alot of fun ahead.

Judy: Yikes! You liked Isabel more than Coni? Then this must have been a terrible episode for her. Coni at least is human, Isabel is so scary and eery, if I ever met her she would make my skin crawl.

Carlos: I'm sending you a big hug from here, and a kiss on the cheek. Don't worry about anything :).

Jarocha
 

Ohh I forgot. El pepillo is the most popular journalist for entertainment in Televisa. He actually started on TV Azteca on a show called "Ventaneando" that was (and still is) very popular, so Televisa got him and gave him his own show at the time "Trapitos al Sol", then he had another show called "La Oreja" that lasted a while and now he has a show called "NXclusiva". All of those are about entertainment news and gossip.

He has also been working for years on TVyNovelas magazine of which he is now the editor.

Jarocha
 

Karen:

You know the magic password, we'll expect you to be there. Ha!

Susanlynn: Hope you enjoyed your walk. Please, tell us more about the chocolate eclair cake.

Deb, I like your name for 'orrible Oscar. Oscar 4-O. And on the subject of your lovely Rajah, just because she is psycho doesn't mean she is a BAD person. LOL.

I cracked up at the cat comparison with Coni and Isabel. I think Isabel definitely took that round. She looked like she could have smacked Coni upside the head with a paw and Coni would never have known what hit her. Didn't Isabel say about herself that she was more alive than ever?

And Judy, I think your response to your cat's requests sounds perfectly normal and quite loving. You are clearly just a good listener. Are Burmese the cats that look like Siamese (sorta) but have long hsir?
 

Jarocha, thanks. I'll be walking among the clouds for the rest of the day.

Deb, your canoidal observation has been made about several of our ladies here. We've seen Nieves and Alicia vie for dominance, Nieves and Coni, but my favorite was Nieves' bark down of Loriloca, Sal's ex-madhatter of a wife. She tried her crazy bitch routine on Nieves and was quickly reduced to a quivering puddle. I think Nieves is odds on favorite as alpha bitch. Coni's a creditable runner up. Maybe Beto, who is quite the little momma's boy is attracted to that similarity.

Carlos
 

Happy birthday, Elna June!

Hombre, you get a super big gold star for taking a dismal walk on the dark side episode and turning it into a jaunt through the amusement park. Absolutely delightful.

I saw that bit on The Soup last night. I was surprised Joel didn't have a better joke about it but it was so funny, anyway...

May I join the Sulkers' Corner? I'm not really much of a sulker but I can rant for a good long while. And I'll bring chocolate mousse--I have a recipe which is mostly tofu and yogurt, yet no one I feed it to ever believes there's anything nutritious in it, it's so good.
 

Hi guys. Got sidetracked last night by the dinner (turned out well) and a wonderful evening of family time (rare) and a Buckeye win over Wisconsin. Twenty-one gun salute!

JULIA, delighted to have you in the sulker's corner and your recipe certainly sounds intriguing. This is getting to be so much fun, it's going to be hard to keep the sulking up.

ELNA JUNE, Burmese are not as scary looking as Siamese (hope I haven't offended anyone here) and don't have that same yowl. They are incredibly affectionate. Male and female are both lap cats and would make incredible "hospital visitors" if they were able to.

On the rare times when I am ill or recovering from surgery, Kizzie will come to the door, Meow as if to say may I come in? Then she will come to the side of the bed and again meow, is it alright if I come up? Having done so she will simple snuggle in and keep me company. She knows if I'm not bustling around the house, something is wrong.

A person I visited in the hospital the other day (cancer surgery) gets the same loving care from her daughter's hyperactive Boxer. This dog, normally a spass, gently climbs onto the bed and again, stays close beside her, never jostling her but merely comforting, for hours on end. How people can deem animals "lesser than man" eludes me.
 

Elna June, I also think you'd be great as a recapper. You asked how you could get to be bi-lingual? Well, I started learning Spanish a little under three years ago, and now I can manage the recaps. I did a number of self taught courses, including Pimsleur, Learning Spanish Like Crazy, and Destinos, and books such as Practice Makes Perfect, and the Everything Spanish Book. I also watched at least two hours of novelas each night (I spent about an hour per day with the courses). After about two years, I dipped my toes in the recap pool, and there's been no turning back. So it's definitely possible!

Deb, you wondered what's happening with Sal. Well, we don't know, but it seemed to me that Oscar might keep him drugged up, since he seems to have access to drugs. Maybe he'll use him for blackmail of some sort.

It was intriguing that Isabel and Coni have a deal, but we have no idea what it is. Can't be good, though.

I'm not sure, but I don't think we've ever really found out what happened to Nieves way back when. She's said several times she was left at the altar, and last night she said the past was painful, but I don't think she ever said she was violated or anything like what happened to Isabel. I could be wrong, though.
 

Hombre, I've also been very fuzzy on Nieves' history. I do recall an episode, one of my earliest recaps, in which Alicia was castigating Nieves for her lack compassion and understanding for Isabel telling her something like, "You of all people ought to understand since you experienced the same thing." I took that very literally but now I'm not so sure. I do however think that we will learn Nieves story (too much focus has been brought to bear on it for us not to) and even get to meet his dad who very well may be something of a surprise. No I haven't read ahead and maybe it's just what I'd like to see. I did look ahead a bit to tomorrow's episode and without revealing too much of a spoiler just let me say, LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!

Carlos
 

Hombre, what I liked the most about this one is your use of "film noir" language for the Oscar narration. You might have added, "I knew the dame was trouble the minute she walked in my door", or "Forget it, Jake, it's Ciudad de Mexico" but, hey, great job.

Oscar - who else would keep on a suit coat to plant a stiff? Very elegant of him.

Sorry, gotta get past the gangster talk.

Elna June, a belated Feliz Cumpleanos a ti (Puedo Tutear?). I hope it was a lovely day for you. Your comment about Isabel's eyes is spot on. I really hope the actress doesn't look like that in real life. Are there contact lenses made to create that effect?

Sylvia, let the dark side roll! Could we be awaiting another fiery car crash a la Cesar Luis in JQ or Chalo dying of poisoning in the gutter in QE? Or will Constanza end up condemned to a life of broken fingernails doing Beto's laundry in the communal sink?

Yesterday was pretty here and I got some great male bonding done with my good friend John Deere. Hired the kid next door to help empty the bagger and the yard looks mucho better now.

You all enjoy your sulk session while I go release my inner hoodlum on the bike. Actually, we're going up to Richmond to visit nuestro hijo and begin our survey of that area's Mexican restaurants.
 

Mike, I like your film noir language for Oscar. However, I was sort of picturing him like the Count von Count, from Sesame Street.
 

Hombre, the Count works, too. Lordy, I haven't thought about him since the kids were little!
 

Oh, Hombre:

I cannot stop laughing at the idea of Oscar, O-4, as the Count Von Count...Hee hee hee.

He would be so disappointed to know that you did not envision him as a DARK, THREATENING,FORCE. What an image! I will forever see Oscar in a shiny black cape. Still ROTFL.

Mike- "I knew the dame was trouble when she walked in the door..." Just once in my life I want someone to use language like that describing my entrance to a room. And tell me more about your tractor. We have six acres of incipient weeds that might become a nicely groomed field if I mowed it between the torrential rains we are expecting this week. I want to get to know Mr Deere. Maybe, when he meets me he will say, "I knew the dame was trouble when she walked into the weeds."
 

Um-hum...nothing rides like a Deere. I can just picture you, Elna June. Say, Doris and Sandy (of Tenn.) have said they might stop by and watch Gancho now that it's in the afternoon. Who knows? we might have a little Sortilegio annex over here that would give us a fresh perspective. Much fun.
 

Okay. I saw the episode and I have to say... I liked it. I even liked the darkness of Oscar and the convo between Coni and Isabel. I think Oscar is now a very effective villain and I liked the part when Coni put Isabel's hand on her belly and talked to her about her baby and how she lost it when Isabel hit her with her car. I don't think Isabel cared but something is going to happen with those two. I still think Coni is the most human of the two and Isabel is still very scary.

I also liked Gaby's bachelorette party but I'm sad for her when she finds out about Salvador.

Jarocha
 

Okay, I was in a silly mood, and added some pictures. Anyone else see a resemblance?
 

I love them Hombre, Oscar does look very simmilar to Count von Count.

I read at the Univision boards that Univision is planning on doing repeats from the Gancho episodes in the 3pm/2pm center at 12pm/11pm center. So if you miss the episode in the afternoon you can catch it at night. Only one person is saying this right now though.

Jarocha
 

Hombre,

Bless your heart. Once before, I added a pix of Moni when I thought that she was preggers when she and Mao returned from the Yucatan (I'm fascinated by the senotes). I was misled.

I hate to admit it it, but I keep going back chasing spelling and grammar errors and along the way, crisping up my narrative when I'm inspired. As far as I'm concerned, you've set the standard for revision and enhancement tonight.I like the Count and I can't recall a show that Oscar was in that I didn't admire his acting ability, if not his character. As I've mentioned before, mi profa is infatuated with him and wishes that he'd play more sympathetic characters.

Carlos
 

Hombre, can't argue with you. Oski is The Count.
 

Hombe, think I'll just leave the hat off. I've been tipping it to you all weekend. What an inspired, golden selection.

Well done. Take a well-deserved bow.

Carlos
 

Add me to the list of hat-tippers. That dual photo of Oscar and the Count was just the cherry on top of the cake(isn't that how the saying goes in Spanish). Great.
 

Elna June, I love to talk about John Deere. How 'bout sending me a note to Nav130 at gmail dot com and I'll be happy to offer some ideas.

Six acres around Sonoma! Guau!!
 

Hi, all. Glad you liked the Oscar and Count pictures. It was pure serendipity to find one of Oscar where he was gesturing just like the Count. I was playing through his scene, just waiting for him to lift up his hands when talking, and there it was!

I wish Aldo would get a hobby or something. It seems his life is Estrella or nothing. He never talks about soccer, or TV, I think he used to listen to music with headphones, but does he have posters on his wall? With nothing else to interest him, I can see why he might turn to drugs. But how can he have a high opinion of a grown-up who says he'll "help" him, and then gives him those pills? I could see it last time, when that kid (what was his name, Chuchi, Chewy, can't remember) looked so happy on drugs. But getting them from Oscar seems weird. Let's hope Oscar gets the same kind of punishment (or worse) than that kid got.
 

I just went back to see the Count. Hombre, what a hoot. All Oscar needs to do it turn up his collar. "Counting the bodies: 1, 2..." Counting the crimes: 1, 2, 3, ...." I love to count, bwa hahaha!!!
 

Hombre:

I see a definite resemblance between the Count and Oscar. And, it not just the gestures or the fact that Oscar would look quite dashingly dastardly in a black silk cape. It's the ears! Could the Count be Oscar's real father? (A la Beto...)

Also, thank you so much the feedback on how your Spanish became good enough to be a recapper. Someday I would like to follow in the footsteps of all you recappers so I will take it to heart and begin following the Hombre Program. Who knows, your Program may prove so popular that in a few years the "Hombre de Misterio" language learning program may replace the Rosetta Stone commercials on the History Channel.

Big grin and a hug in thanks.

EJ
 

OH my heavens, THIS has to be your best recap ever......brilliant, just brilliant. I was rolling the whole time. I read this first and then watched and I was dying imagining Oscar (well and each character) saying all those extra things you put in. Tooooo funny. Great way to jazz up an evil episode.

Wonderful fun!!! Thank you so much for your reaction to Nutella. I too eat that stuff right out the bloody jar. And I make no apologies for it. I'll have to try it before recapping duties, maybe it will work some magic on me too! FAB!!!!

Tue Jan 19, 06:02:00 PM EST
 

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Lucy

http://dataentryjob-s.com
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder