Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Dinero #12, 2/2/10, Love Birds, Jail Birds, Pajaritos, Ugly Ducklings, And Swan Songs.

Ale can’t believe that Marco would even consider asking her to hire her worst enemy, Rafael. Marco lays out the wisdom of the move – she can guarantee he’ll have money to pay her, and she needs another dealer anyway. Though I don’t know why, considering the showroom typically has about eight salesmen and one customer. Maybe THAT’s why she ran out of money! Aside from the fact that she hates Rafael, Ale also reminds Marco that Raf doesn’t know anything about selling cars. She gets offended when he suggests that she use her clout to steer sales toward him.

Ale goes into the meeting to yell at the staff. I think her motivational tactics need a little polish. Everyone wants to put a friend into the salesman job opening, and everybody wants to get their hands on Lopez’ list of sales contacts. Dandy tries to get it from Claudia, and later El Teórico tries to swipe it from Ale’s desk. Speaking of Lopez, check this YouTube clip of Joaquín López-Dóriga (click here), a very respected, polished news anchor, in an uncustomary situation. Imagine Walter Cronkite getting the giggles. (Yeah, I know it’s off topic, but this is my recap and I can go OT if I wanna’. Neeners!)

Ale tells her boss that she has found a replacement dealer, but he says he is the one who will decide whether to hire the guy, and first he needs to see a resume.

Raf has gotten to the point of desperation. The only way he can get money is to borrow it from Vicky’s dad, but the only way Gastón will make the loan is if Raf marries Vicky. So our hero has a choice: wedding bells or prison cells. Be a lovebird or a jailbird. So he cinches up his calzones and calls Vicky to tell her he wants to meet with her father. Our pajarita goes all aflutter, expecting that after three years of working on this boy, she’ll finally catch the brass ring. (What? You think Rafael el probre can afford a gold ring??)

Rafael drags his friend Jaime along to see Gastón, so there is someone to call an ambulance if he ends up on the business end of a meat cleaver. Jaime is even more scared than Raf, and manages to slip out, promising that he’ll watch from a distance.

“From a distance” translates into hiding in the nearest doorway, which happens to be that of the new salon. The short jailbird says his name is Bougainvillea. Anyone remember another novela moment (click here), same actor, and another Bougainvillea? Our “beauticians” are so desperate for business, they Shanghai Jaime into a chair and start giving him a makeover. When Jaime remembers them from jail, they shut him up by putting a moisturizing towel over his face, so their new associate won’t hear this important detail about their work history.

At the butcher shop, Raf stumbles and stutters, afraid to talk about the M-word. He’s saved by the bell, and this time it’s not wedding bells but a ringing cell. Marco tells him to get his resume to Ale ASAP, Sabes? Well, Raf doesn’t sabe. What’s a resume? Raf finishes the call and has a welcome change of plans. He tells Gastón that he came to announce that he has a job. Poor Vicky almost cries, seeing her hopes go hopeless. But the cries turn to shrieks when she has Raf alone. She’s furious that he didn’t ask for her hand as she had understood he would, and she’s none too happy that he’s going to be working around women. She wants her pajarito all to herself.

At home, Raf calls his friend to ask, “What’s a resume?” Ale tells Susanna that she’s going to hire Rafael, and Su concludes that Ale’s med’s are rotting her brain. Marco tells his shady cohort Vicente the real reason he wants Raf hired – so Ale makes less money, so she won’t be able to redeem the house, and Marco will be able to take possession. Vicente suggests that Marco marry quickly, but I couldn’t understand the reason. Jaime warns Raf that working with Ale will be worse than his cuñados’ machetes. Raf goes to the repo man and begs a little more patience, and a chance to use the fax machine.

Susanna brings Ale the resume off the fax machine. It goes on for several pages, hand written, block letters like a second grader. His list of education starts in kindergarten, and his references include his mother the housewife. But he does mention that his first salesman job was in elementary school. Susanna is really warming up to Rafael. (Isn’t it always the wise, kind character who first sees the value of the diamond in the rough?) She has become his advocate with Ale. Ale knows the resume won’t fly, so she invents one as Su types.

I know that there were many things that flew over my head. I welcome any additions or corrections.

Friends, this is my last recap of Dinero. I stepped in at the beginning as a sort of “bridge” recapper until the show got rolling, and as the sidebar says, it was a temporary fix. Thank you for your support. Board Mom is looking for a replacement, but if no one steps forward there won’t be a recap on Tuesdays, just be an empty blog post so people have a place to comment. I encourage you to give it a try. It’s a great way to improve your Spanish, and the audience is always appreciative.

Labels:


Comments:
Hi Paula. Wonderful title, great clips, and "wedding bells or prison cells" was a winner. Still on Advil overload from my fall and not watching this so I'm finding some of the strategy confusing, but thanks for your help getting this one off to a good start, recapping-wise.
 

Thanks Paula,
You cleared a couple of things up for me. I missed the bit about why Marco was so anxious to have Rafa work for Ale.

I really like Susana. Like I said before she is a real gem. That is why she can spot "diamonds in the rough".

I chuckled at the Bougainvillie refrence and appriciated your link.(La Fea is one of my Favorite novelas). That was halarious.

You are going to be missed on Tuesday nights. I hope you continue to follow this story.

Pata
 

Thanks Paula for your lovely swan song, although I am sure you will be back some time in the future recapping another novela.

Not sure how many folks are watching this 'novela and if we can scare up a recapper among them. I hope so, because this does seem to be picking up. I thought that Vicky's brothers and father were pretty scary, but after last night's episode, I see that Vicky is the craziest and most dangerous one in that family. Even her big bro cowered in fear after she screeched at him. Rafa better watch out! And any woman who even looks at him for two seconds.
 

Yes, Vivi, you know me too well. I'm sure that when a certain actor's current project crosses the border, I'll be knocking on the recapper door again.
 

Great recap Paula. I'm gonna miss seeing you again. I hope Los Exitosos Perez gets soon to USA because I'd love to hear your comments on that show.

Thank you for the clip woth Lopez Dóriga, I like him alot and Carlos Loret De Mola is so gorgeous. I met him once at an event because a friend of mine got us University Press passes. I was so nervous by the thought we would be discovered that I couldn't fully enjoy the view that time. And she got a hug from him, bah.

Jarocha
 

I'm with you, Jarocha. I really like Lopez Dóriga from what I've seen of him. He seems like such a "class act." Another one like that is Maxine. They both seem so different from the trashy impression I get from most of the hosts/news people.
 

Maxine Woodside? She is an entertainment journalist. Dóriga is a news anchor. I like both. I actually like most of the people in the gossip shows. They are usually told to act in certain way in gossip shows (especially back in the day in La Oreja) but when they appear in other shows they seem to be very nice. The Radio Fórmula channel is a good place to see them act as themselves, they tend to be very nice there. Except for Shanik Bergman, she is a mess. As for news anchors I'm okay with all of them.

Dóriga is the best news anchor on network tv but I also like Javier Alatorre from TV Azteca. I also like Denisse Maerker alot and Carmen Aristegui on cable, both very intelligent. The only people I don't care for in the news are Adela Micha and Carlos Marín. She is just a poser and he is a jerk.


Jarocha
 

I may have said some bad things up there. Sorry, the mods can erase the comment if you like.

Jarocha
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder