Wednesday, February 17, 2010

El Clon 2-16: In Olden Days A Glimpse of Stocking ...

Greetings, friends. I’ll be recapping El Clon on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Jean will take the rest of the week. I’m at a bit of a disadvantage in that my TV carries CC-1 and CC-2, but not CC-3 which has the English. Plus I foolishly did not record tonight’s show, a mistake I will not repeat. I understood most of tonight’s cap, but certain scenes went completely over my head. Additions and corrections are always welcome.

In the women’s quarters, Jade and Lucas lock eyes, and for them, the rest of the world is invisible. Would that they were invisible to the rest of the world. In response to the noise, the men come in to find out what the fuss is. Albieri hustles Lucas out of the house quickly. Ali takes charge of Jade. When she protests that she did nothing wrong, he smacks her, and tells her he’ll come to talk to her in a little while. When the three women are alone, Zoraida tries to counsel Jade to hold her tongue and learn to disimular (conceal, disguise her feelings), IOW lie. Most of all, she must not confront Ali, and she must not defend herself to him.

Back at the hotel, Leo orders Diego to apologize to Bimbo. Diego protests – I had reasons you don’t know. Leo wants to hear those reasons (while Bimbo looks on), but Diego says he’s not ready.

Ali comes in and reads Jade the riot act. It’s a crime to exhibit yourself. Jade insists she did nothing wrong. Ali reminds her that the prime directive of Islam is to surrender your will (someone please correct me if I got this wrong; I wouldn’t want anybody to misquote the central tenants of my faith, and I don’t want to misquote anyone else’s). Jade begs to be allowed to return to the US, but it falls on deaf ears. (I think) he tells her it’s not an issue of where you are, but whether you keep the rules of our faith. He says that if she doesn’t know good from bad, it is not the fault of her environment, that she is responsible for herself. Women who are not appropriately modest get locked inside, away from public eyes, until they die. I think Zoraida said she could be executed for her crime. Ali orders Jade to memorize the portion of Koran that he has marked, and he will test her on it tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Albieri briefs Lucas on the severity of his crime. I’m sorry, most of this when over my head. Can anyone fill in?

Back at the hotel, Lucas tries to apologize to Diego for locking him in his room, but justifies it because Diego was out of control. Diego tells him to get lost. I guess I’m with Diego on this one. I’ve never put much stock in the “I’m sorry, but..” brand of apologies.

Back at Albieri’s clinic in Miami, Luisa, Albieri’s assistant, is briefing her manicurist, who is there for fertility screening. We find out that the woman is healthy and fertile, and there is no reason she can’t conceive. The doctor suggests that her partner should get screened. Luisa takes a call from Albieri, and goes to his office to speak to him in private. She gushes about how she has arranged everything the way he likes it, while Albieri just tries to get her off the phone. After he hangs up on her, the woman doctor counsels Luisa to give up; that her rival is a woman who has been dead for 20 years, and Albieri will never notice anyone else. The doctor warns that hanging on to one-sided love for years will embitter her. (BTW, in last night’s Los Exitosos Perez, Tomas warned that hanging on to one-sided love is like an addiction. Too bad other novela characters don’t catch on to those warnings, but then how could the writers fill up 200 cap’s?)

Diego asks Al-B what he thinks of Bimbo. Al-B says that she’s tonta (foolish) and she likes his power. Diego insists that is not the right woman for his dad, and asks, “Do you think she’s an aventura (perhaps ‘gold-digger’?)?” Diego doesn’t really answer, so the doctor concludes Diego just doesn’t like seeing his dad remarry. Al-B coaxes Diego to let his dad enjoy some company at this stage in life.

Luke is in a daze, mooning over Jade. Jade is supposed to be memorizing her verses, but she can’t concentrate. Zoraida brings her a Koran in Spanish. Then cousin Latifa comes in, and Jade talks about that man who watched her dancing. She said it’s as if she knew him all her life, or else that she was destined to know him for the rest of her life. Latifa, for her part, is excited to meet her fiancé.

As for the marriage arrangements, much of this went over my head.

Two brothers arrive at the house, short Muhammad dressed in yellow, and taller Zaid dressed in white. They are accompanied by a woman identifies as their sister, which raises eyebrows. I didn’t catch her name, so I’ll call her Bessie. We can’t tell which of the brothers is the suitor, but apparently neither can Zoraida. Zoraida warns Latifa to be careful about everything she does when she meets the men, and especially do not seem too eager. Men like to feel as if they have won (conquistar) the woman. Latifa brings out dessert and makes quite an impression on the brothers. After a few minutes, Ali dismisses her. When the men are alone, Zaid says that he approves, and the men start to bargain over the marriage contract. It comes out that Zaid will soon return to the US to operate his business. Ali refers to Latifa as his niece??

Bessie is in the women’s quarters with Latifa and Zoraida, and also Ali’s two wives and a few young children. The third wife isn't there because she had a baby yesterday. Bessie thought Ali had four wives, but one died last year. With that, she starts calculating how she can become that fourth wife. Latifa, Zoraida, and Jade quietly discuss their opinion of the pushy Bessie; it's not good. Bessie asks Latifa’s reaction to Zaid getting other wives. Latifa starts to protest, “I won’t allow it,” but then she catches herself and disimilates, saying “Well, I’ll always be the first wife.” Jade is surprised that men can have several wives, but Latifa thinks it’s great that they are limited to four wives. Peachy.

Back at the hotel, Diego again tries to talk to his dad, but Bimbo arrives and puts the kibosh on that. In Miami, the manicurist from the fertility testing is in a nightclub, and she seductively entices a man to dance with her. I missed a lot of what was said between them. Help, anyone? She tells him that she’s plenty fertile, so the problem must be him. This somehow leads to her accusing him of lying to her, and she thinks perhaps he’s married (?).

Scene shifts to the desert, where Leo, Bimbo, and Diego go out for a camel ride. The shadows tell us it’s about noon. I thought only mad dogs and Englishmen went out in the noonday sun. Diego gets Bimbo aside and tells her to leave and never come back, or he will tell his father what a whore she is.

Back in town, Al-B has taken Lucas to Ali’s house to apologize. Al-B excuses himself to go warm up Ali to the idea. He leaves Lucas in the foyer and orders him to not move. Latifa and Zoraida go outside so Latifa can practice soccer – she says men like women who know about soccer. They holler for Jade to hurry and join them. A few moments later Jade follows, but then Lucas sees her in the foyer. Once again their eyes lock; once again the world disappears.

Tomorrow: Zaid and Muhammad wonder about this marriage contract – if they take two wives (i.e. Jade), can they get a volume discount?

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks for the recap, Paula. I messed up my DVR settings, and Monday's episode didn't record. I hope it got tonight's. I am going to try to watch this, in hopes it will be the first Telemundo 'novela that I like and stick with, now that Sortilegio is ending.

A Koran in Spanish, eh? I didn't think it was supposed to be translated and if so, it is not considered authentic or valid or whatever. Maybe telenovela beanie hats are needed, after all.
 

Thanks, Paula. Sounds different and interesting. When and where is this on?
 

susanlynn - Telemundo at 8 CST/9 EST, same time as the new CS on Looneyvision.
 

Don't have Telemundo but GREAT TITLE!!!! A real eye-catcher. You would have made an excellent headline writer for the newspaper. Draws the reader right in.
 

I can fill in a little bit on the meeting with Zaid and Latifah - but you didn't miss much. She brought the food out, sat down, and Ali and Mohammed left them 'alone' (moved two feet away) for all of one minute. Said asked her some really basic question, she giggled and answered, and somehow that was enough for him to say "ok wife material." Unfortunately, this was probably a realistic scene.

I'm expecting Ali tantrum #2 tonight after finding Lucas and what's her name staring at each other AGAIN.
 

Thanks, Chris. I didn't catch that, but I did catch that he asked if he could call her, and she said something that indicated it wouldn't work when he was at home, but that she's at school all day, implying he can call her then. Not sure how he'll get her number, but a motivated suitor has to be resourceful. Also, it seems the marriage contract will be formalized (o algo así) in six months.
 

Yeah that's what it was "can I call/see you?" "hee hee I'm in school during the day but here at night" "ok Ali I'll marry her"
 

oh and they all agreed that the food she made was super tasty.
 

Oh how glad I am you're doing El Clon. I paused on that channel as it came on. Although I never watch TN on that channel I really admire their graphic artists' telenovela intros.
The accents in the show really throw me - after all I now have a 50 word vocabulary - but the intriging thing is the mix of culture. I think I want to follow this show. And I seem to remember Hombre or one of the men on the blog wrote that it was one of his all time favorites. Thanks for doing this one Paula.
 

Thanks, Paula. What an incredible title you came up with! The cinematography on this one is gorgeous. I'm liking Sandra Echeverría better than I thought I would.

I just remembered the actress who's vying to be Ali's 4th wife (boy is she dense to want him!). It was driving me crazy, but she played Zorro's tía, the nun with whom Arturo Peniche's character was obsessed.

The shorter of the two guys who came about the marriage contract played a man who starts out gay but marries a woman on Victorinos. And the younger guy was an evil narco in El Cartel. It's a lot of fun recognizing these people.

I think the woman who had the fertility test is at least a partner of the guy she was dancing with. They were playing some kind of game where they pretend not to know each other and he pretends to conquer the prettiest and best dancer of all. She wants kids and wants him to get in to get his sperm count tested. He doesn't look too enthusiastic. Great salsa dancing scenes. I used to do a LOT of salsa dancing so I appreciate any scenes of that.

Paula, I hope your interpretation of what Ali said to Jade is correct. I thought he said woman who got out of line got buried alive. It was encerrada hasta la muerte. I suppose you could interpret that to mean shut up in a room for 50 years, but I thought he meant buried alive. I thought that was a bit harsh for one glimpse of bare shoulders through gauze.
 

Dora is the name of the salsa dancer and she played by Inhira Serrano who played Ursula, Soledad's maid in La Traicion and Yesenia, the human trafficker in Victorinos. What a bod and she can dance!
You are right, novelera, the actress who played the nun, Maria Pia in Zorro is playing Nariza, the man hungry sister of Said.

Leonardo, Diego and Cristina says that they're going to Paris and the next thing we know they are riding camels? I guess if you go to film in Morocco, everybody has to be filmed riding camels.
 

Since being buried alive was a big part of La Traicion, I know that was expressed as 'enterrado vivo.' The english subtitles translated 'encerrado hasta la muerte' as being shut up in a room until death.

You notice that Albieri pointed out that Moroccan custom are less severe than those in Saudi Arabia where Jade would have been stoned to death for being seen dancing in front of a stranger.
 

Buried alive? Zowie! I hope I'm right too.

Since we're spotting faces, did you notice at the nightclub? One of the barstool women played Aura Maria in Colombian Fea. Can anybody do hoochy-koochy like that one??
 

Jean, thank you for filling in the pieces that went over my head. We're all in this together.
 

Jean, yes!!!

I didn't mention it in my comment because I thought I'd misheard, but Leonardo did say he and Cristina were going to Paris, and he was standing in the lobby with his suitcase. And the next thing we see of them is mounting camels. ¿Que?

Thanks for the help on locked up in a room until death, which is quite a bit better than buried alive! Still pretty extreme. And she's supposed to memorize a huge section of the Quran by the next day or this is what happens to her? Again ¿que? I'm liking the novela so far, but Ali is waaaay over the top. I find it hard to believe a person living in the modern world would expect a young woman reared in the US to conform so completely to his medieval ideas without even a transitional period to adjust.
 

Actually, Novelera, I thought Ali was pretty moderate, for a man of his age in Morocco. He lets the girl play soccer, and he will let Jade study medicine. I know an American woman who was there in the 80s, and she was not allowed to drive, nor was she allowed out of the house without a permission slip from her husband. If I heard right, Jade could've been executed for what she did. I'm sure he thinks he's being incredibly patient with her. What a world!
 

Yeah for that part of the world, I don't think that was unrealistic. There are countries where women are killed by men in their own family for besmirching their 'honor' for things like having the nerve to want to pick their own husband, etc.
 

I haven't started watching this TN yet--I hope to start tonight. But I was under the impression that it was on at 8 PM Eastern Time/7 PM Central. Doris said it was an hour later than that. Can anyone confirm the time? I'm on the East Coast. If it's on at the same time as the last episodio of Sortilegio, I guess I'll have to start El Clon tomorrow.
 

I just checked online at Telemundo - WashDC and their schedule lists El Clon at 8 PM and Perro Amor at 9 PM, both Eastern Time.
 

Last night I discovered that TM rebroadcasts it at 11:30, but not every day. Weird. So that might be your solution.
 

El Clon is on at 8 pm on the East Coast but if you have a VCR or DVR, it's on again at 11pm and 10:30 the next am. Telemindo usually does this during the first week of a novels. Warning: my station routinely cuts off the 2nd half hour of the 11pm rebroadcast.
 

Thanks very much, Paula and Jean, for this very helpful additional scheduling information. And belated thanks, too, for the invaluable recaps!
 

Paula and Chris. You are doubtless right about the strict codes in Morocco. But what I meant to say is that it seemed unrealistic to me for Ali to expect Jade to immediately adjust to the norms in Fez when she was brought up in a much more permissive culture.

I would have expected him to insist on really strict Muslim codes after some time elapsed.
But I thought he'd let her adjust a bit. He hasn't been even a little kind to her. Is he her uncle - the brother of her deceased mother? He treats her really badly, IMO.

A point could be made, at least so far, that the novela disparages Islam. Ali seems like a cartoonish Muslim man, fanatical about his religion.

She did wear long skirts and sleeves in Miami, conforming to Muslim dress codes, but did not veil. I believe she did cover her hair when she went to the beach.
 

well i'm loving the remake of o clone. its pretty interesting i'm also enjoing perro amor as well. but yes the koran in spanish? what? i'm sure thats not allowed.
veve
 

the only thing i didnt like was that the belldydancing wasnt very good. maybe i'm expecting too much after watching the girls on shimmy. they could have found someone who could bellydance though couldn't they? although i do like sandra
veve
 

We own a copy of the Koran with Arabic on one page and English on the facing page. Mr. 5ft acquired it as part of a religion class he took in undergrad. He says it's an "authorized" translation, so apparently there are ways to get translations that are still considered ok.

I'm having a hard time with these actors. The original Tio Ali was much more jovial when he wasn't angry. This guy's range only goes from serious to angry.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder