Tuesday, September 07, 2010

La Fea Más Bella returns to Uni and to Caray, Caray!

In MY reality (yours may differ), there are two kinds of people on Caray: A. those who never saw La Fea Más Bella and wish they had, and B. those who watched it and want to watch it again. Well, for both Fea virgins and Fea veterans I have good news and I have better news. The good news is, both groups will get their wish. Fea will replay on Univision from noon to one, starting next Monday, 9/13. The better news is, you will be able to join a discussion here on Caray!

Instead of writing a new recap, I will link to each episode’s old recap from 2006/07, add a few comments, offer a few surprises, and open the discussion. Already (before I’ve posted) eleven people have said they’re interested in joining “El Club de la Fea,” including a Fea “expert,” two native speakers, and several Caray old-timers. I hope you come join us. Remember, on the Fea board and others, it’s your comments that keep us going, so don’t just lurk.

You can find the link on the sidebar, just before “El Clon.” I’ve posted character profiles there. Post any questions you have. If I can’t answer, somebody else probably can.

Fea was a legendary telenovela. It broke all sorts of ratings records. There have been something like 18 remakes of the Colombian original, and every one of them was a huge hit. It stars Jaime Camil, the “Tan divino!” galán on the sidebar. Fea is deep, it’s funny, it’s intense, it’s magical. You can analyze it all day long and still find more meat. It’s an Ugly Duckling story, a Cinderella story, a story about the process of falling in love.

Come join us. Bienvenidas al club, al club, al club, al club de las feas!

Labels: ,


Comments:
Oh wow - this is going to start with my first recap attempts from almost 5 years ago. I haven't looked at them in forever, I hope they hold up.
 

Ferro! Five years??? Where has the time gone????????
 

This entry looked so bland without a picture, I decided to add one. It's a recent photo of Jaime Camil and Alejandro Fernandez from his twitter page. It reminds me of the only time Gene Kelly danced with Fred Astaire. (jiji!)
 

Paula, after you talked about it on Gancho, getting me excited now. I'll be cranking up the VCR to tape it. I'll have to find some time to watch it. On tape, at least can save a few minutes by skipping commercials. :)

Be good to see how it starts. We saw the end, last 100 or some episodes.
 

I bought a DVD recorder halfway through LFMB, so half the show is on VHS tape and the remainder on DVD.

I was kind of looking forward to getting the first half on DVD now. And it was a fun show, and I'm about ready to look in on it again.
 

This should be great! I missed at least half of La Fea so I hope I will be able to watch the first half that I missed. Ferro, I started to read your recaps today and couldn't stop. I'm on episode 11 now and have been laughing out loud at your very humorous and clever take on things. I don't think the real episodes can be as much fun.
 

Wonderful! I hope I can catch some of the episodes. I look forward to the hearing the great music again.
 

Ferro, your recaps will definitely hold up. I still remember and chuckle at your remark that Omar and Fernando would have paid more attention to the balance sheet if it had had boobs.
 

Ha I had forgotten all of that. I'll have to read them again. I did read a bit of the first one and it seems like I used to write in very long paragraphs, I guess over time I got too busy to keep that up. I hope you all enjoy it all over again!
 

Though I loved La Fea Mas Bella, I would love to see the Columbian original again too. Although the Mexican one fixed a lot of problems that the original had, I didn’t find it quite as moving, as Angelica Vale didn’t have the fragile vulnerability the Columbian protagonista did. The scene where she has her big realization was the most wrenching I’ve seen in any telenovela – it just ripped my heart out of my chest.

I loved Angelica Vale, though, too, so the Mexican version was wonderful too. And Jaime Camil was much better in the lead. Though some people found Paty Navidad’s character wearing, I was agape at her beauty and talent and was glad whenever she came on screen.
 

Maggie, thank you for being careful to avoid spoilers in your comment about Betty. I suspect spoilers will be a big temptation for many of us.

Regarding the mood, Carlos contrasted "the operatic feel of Betty .. and the ballet feel of LFMB." Yes, the Colombian was more intense, and darker. It left me feeling wrung out after many of the episodes. Whereas the Mexican carried me away and the real world disappeared for an hour.

The character I adored was Lety's mom, especially in certain phases of the show. Don't we all wish we had a Mama Julieta?
 

Hi everyone! I'm relatively new to "Caray, Caray!", when I was 15 I started watching telenovelas again (I hadn't seen any since I was a child). I dropped them and have recently become obsessed with them ,now more than ever since before I only watched
Cuidado Con El Angel, Fuego En La Sangre, and Manana Es Para Siempre. I would love to join La Fea Mas Bella club since this will be my first time watching it (or any Betty La Fea versions). I am a native speaker so if the good people at Caray Caray ever need a recapper I AM WILLING AND AVAILABLE! Thanks. =)
 

Welcome, Mels Bells. The board mom, Melinama, is ALWAYS looking for more recappers. It looks like both Dinero and Llena de Amor are short-staffed right now. She'd love to hear from you. I think you can contact her at caray@mappamundi.com . Let me know if that doesn't work and I'll dig deeper for an address.

(Board mom, I couldn't find the link to your em on the page. Feel free to delete this post if you want to direct Mels Bells to a better em adr.)
 

I started watching LFMB in the middle. It was my first telenovela. I was obsessed!!!!

dpd
 

Yep, me too, started watching maybe later than the middle, totally captivated, magical IS the word. Poop! I'll be at work and won't be able to see it! Guess I can follow the caps and see if I can find it online. . .

Khalilah
 

Can't wait. We haven't seen LFMB so it will all be new to us. We'll probably watch it on weekends when we are having novela withdrawal!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder