Wednesday, September 29, 2010

La Fea Más Bella #25-26 9/29/10 The bribe hits the fan.

Read Chris's original recap. Note, that recap covers Caps 22 - 26. Cap 25 starts at the paragraph that begins, “In the morning, Paula rides to work with Omar.” If you don’t want to read ahead, stop at the paragraph that begins, “Lety tells her father what Miguel.” That begins Cap 26.

Capitulo 25

1. Fernando disapproves that Omar took Paula out. Omar thinks she’s the best kind: poor, hot, and easy to use (and discard). Then he rudely jokes about Lety, and Fern defends that she has a good heart.

2. Fernando signs the contract at CineRent. He doesn’t want Luigi to know about the switch to video until the day of the Benny shoot.

3. Fernando worries about all the debt. He considers forming a shadow company to protect Conceptos from creditors. Neither of them can control it. To effectively protect Conceptos, the head of the shadow co would be the legal owner of Conceptos, so it must be someone they can trust absolutely.

4. Miguel calls Lety, trying to arrange payment of the bribe. Ariel records a conversation which implicates Lety in the bribe.

5. Fernando happens to go to the same restaurant where Marcia and Luigi are pitching the Benny video to Magalay, and Shrew Marcia is sure Fernando came to see Magalay.

6. Lety imagines herself rich, taking her friends to lunch.

7. Miguel calls again about the loan payment. She calls the house and Tomás is not there, so she tells her dad that a vendor offered her a “commission.”


Capitulo 26

Read Chris's original recap. Note, that recap covers Caps 22 - 26. Cap 26 starts at the paragraph that begins, “Lety tells her father what Miguel.”

I LOVE this episode! It’s one of my top 10. There are SO MANY great scenes!!!


1. Erasmo convinces Lety to not take the bribe. See the transcript.

2. Ariel thinks he has the evidence to fire Lety. Alicia asks whether they’ll make her assistant today. Lety wants to tell Fernando something delicate. He wants to wait until after he talks to Ariel. Then he has second thoughts and asks what it’s about.

3. Lety confesses the bribe. Fernando is deeply disappointed; “I thought I could trust you.” Lety says she was tempted because her family is in financial crisis, but her father “reminded me who I am. I could never betray you.” Fernando tells Marcia.

4. Ariel plays his recording. Fernando looks crushed. He has Marcia inform Ariel that Lety already told him everything, and Fern is bursting with glee. He mocks Ariel for sinking to such tricks to beat a lowly assistant.

5. Lety resigns because she cannot be trusted. See transcript. She almost betrayed all she holds dear. Fernando rejects her resignation. She was tempted because she’s human, but she passed the test of fire.

6. We see the source of Ariel’s bitterness. Their family is being squeezed out of Conceptos, and Lety has the place that should be Marcia’s. Next she’ll be president and they’ll be thrown into the street.

7. Omar says that to turn down a bribe like that demonstrates incredible loyalty or adoration. Fernando is boggled. He decides to make owner of the shadow company; he trusts her more than anyone.

8. Lety asks Fernando for help with CineRent. He calls Diana, puts her on the spot, and tells her to pay the bribe amount (500K pesos, $40K USD) to Conceptos instead.

9. Omar rebukes Fernando for paying Lety only minimum wage after all she does. He realizes he never gave her the raise he promised when he promoted her, and the bribe tempted her because her family is in financial crisis. Omar says she’s obviously in love. Fernando gives her a raise of $639 USD, retroactive.


Spanish Lesson

You get two transcripts today! The two scenes have such fantastic dialog, I couldn't bear to skip either of them.

Watch the scene and try to figure out how the words they say match the English translation. Make a list of new vocabulary and phrases you want to learn.Note, this is the gist, not a precise translation. All future Spanish lessons will be gists.


Pop Counsels Lety
L: It’s a commission, because I helped in the transaction.
E: Who pays your salary?
L: But it’s a lot of money!
E: Don’t you dare receive a single penny from them!
L: I’m doing it for you. So you don’t have to sell the house. And so you can start a business with Tomás.
E: Oh, so this is because I lost my job? Well then, I’ll go out and rob people on the street.
J: You know how we live in this house. Poverty is no excuse to do what you shouldn’t. It’s just an excuse that immoral people use (to enslave you?).
L: I’m not robbing anybody.
E: Do you know why I could leave my employer of 18 years, with my head high?
J: He was above reproach. With his noble name, and his honest work.
E: I NEVER let anyone bribe me. And people trusted me.
J: His coworkers and bosses believed in him. And Don Fernando believes in you.
E: What do you think would happen if your boss found out what you were doing?
F: (Lety imagines) How could you do this to me, after how I fought for you? This is how you repay me? Betraying me? I never want to see you again! GET OUT!!
E: And who would hire you after that? That bribe had better be enough to live on for the rest of your life. We Padillas are not that kind of people. I raised you so that you would be worthy of trust.
L: Do you know what, Papa? (Lety rises.) Thank you. It’s what I needed to hear. It takes a great weight off of me. I would’ve done it for you, but you’re right. I have no reason to receive that money.


The Lety I Know

L: I’m very sorry for what happened. Listening to your discussion with Ariel made me feel terrible. Very guilty.
F: Fortunately you told me in time. Otherwise this would’ve been horrible. But it’s over with.
L: No, sir. I resign.
F: WHAT??? What do you mean, resign? No, you can’t do that. Things have already been straightened out. Everything’s fine.
L: That’s not good enough for me. I should’ve told you as soon as they offered me the commission.
F: Yeah, but you told me. You didn’t accept the money. That’s what’s important. What’s the problem?
L: I don’t trust myself. I went crazy. I let go of my standards. I imagined my life with that money. I’m not that Lety. I swear it. I don’t know what happened. I was on the verge of betraying what is most sacred to me. My father, my family, all my parents have taught me. I was about to betray you. I can’t forgive myself. I want to resign.
F: Do you know what? I won’t let you. The Leticia Padilla that I know is the one who is talking to me right now with so much sincerity. It’s the human Lety. Not the human computer that everyone laughs at, hidden in her cave. It’s the Lety that also has moments of weakness. I don’t want a perfect woman. No. I need a human being who is able to fall into temptation, but who is also willing and able to recover, and in the end return to her principles. No, Lety. You didn’t betray me. To the contrary. You passed the test of fire. And not many here in Conceptos do that, eh? I makes me happy that you have counted on me to achieve it. Now I know who you really are. And do you know what? Just so you know, I need you now more than ever. Now get rid of those tears and call Omar.

Labels:


Comments:
Ack! Even though I sorta' know what happens today, I want to wait till I can see it tonight before reading the recap.

I just wanted to weigh in on the all-important subject of Miguel. I think he's guapo. His ears are indeed very large, but they don't stick out and they're not shaped funny, so the only reason I noticed how big they were was because Ferro kept mentioning it.

I don't think they are especially batty. They remind me more of Dumbo, but as long as they don't move, it's okay.

(Having shared these deep thoughts, I'll go back to my work.)
 

A few sightings in Cap 25.
* Did you catch Saimon's imitation of Alejandro Fernandex (el Potrillo)? Even his odd posture.
* Luigi says he’ll make Magalay look great, like Miss Universe. Jacque B, the actress, was Mexico’s Miss Univ contestant in 2001.
* I'm sure you noticed that Lety's luncheon fantasy was at the Camil Ranch, with Jaime Camil Senior in the scene.
* It was also Camil Sr's helicopter in the scene.
* And maybe, just MAYBE, I recognized someone else. I'm not sure. At the luncheon, at the table between Camil Sr's and Lety's, there is a man and woman. You see them over the shoulders of Juana and Paula. The woman might be Camil Sr's daughter, Alexia.

The Ying and Yang (Ali & Lety). We saw the contrast between how Patron Fernando took care of Lety (when they sabotaged her computer) vs. how Patron Ariel took care of Olarte (when the conspiracy was discovered). Now we see the other side. Alicia did wrong, got in over her head, and kept turning farther from Fernando. OTOH Lety did wrong, got in over her head, and put herself at Fernando’s mercy. And the result? He values her all the more.
 

Wow Paula. Sure glad you made us watch. Reading about it could not convey the tension of watching it and suffering through Lety's conversation with her dad and then wondering if she'd have a chance to alert Fernando before Ariel ratted her out. Ahhh...the relief and the release when everything turned out okay. And how adorable was Fernando when he praised her and told her how much he trusted her now. Boy, I'm smitten all over again. Camil lost his magic for me in Tontas but he's got me wrapped around his finger again in this one.
 

Hi Puala and Chris. These were great episodes. Especially the second. I started watching the series late when it ran on Univision the first time, about mid-way through. I did buy the set and saw some on You-tube. Unforunately my chapter disk with these 5 chapters skips and freezes alot and most of chapt 26 skips and freezes. So not only was it fun to see the entire scene it was great to have your Spanish lesson.

Chapter 27 on my disk skips alot too so it will be fun to see tomorrows episode in entirety.

Your insight into this novela has also lead to many fun facts about this story which makes it all the more fun. So thanks again Paula.
 

Did you notice Ariel carressing the presidential chair? He thinks he’s on his way to winning it.

Monday I mentioned that Lety and Marcia are opposites in their dealings with Fernando. Today, another example. Lety confessed the bribe and Fernando looked at her affectionately. Meanwhile Marcia barges in, and Fernando rolls his eyes because he knows she's going to crab about something.

Omar doesn’t like that Fernando is getting closer to Lety. He tried ridicule to make Fernando see how disgusting she is, but that just made Fernando mad at him and defensive about Lety. Scratch that idea. So now Omar tries a different tactic. He tells Fernando (twice in one cap!) that Lety is in love with him. I propose, Omar wants to make Fern disgusted by the idea so he’ll distance himself from Lety.
 

Thanks, Paula and Ferro, for the recaps and other interesting info. It was nice to be able to savor Fernando's words of praise and understanding in the second Spanish lesson. Thanks again.

GinCA
 

Due to circumstances, I wasn't able to watch this last night. I can watch this tonight and hopefully today's will be less exciting and I can just skip it without falling too far behind.

Omar does seem resentful of Fern's fondness for Lety. Why, exactly? Is it simply because she's disrupting the social dynamic? Does he resent that Lety's taking some of Fer's attention away from him? Does he see her as a threat to his friendship, and/or his position in the company? Is he worried about having to do more business dinners being seen in public with a fea?

Without getting into specifics that would be spoilers, I wonder if Omar's proposed "campaign of horror" that comes later is partially motivated by the same resentment, or if he's just being pragmatic about the situation.
 

Hey, another great title! That's two in a row.

Thank you so much for translating Lety's conversation with her papa and mama. That was a terrific scene that showed a loving family at their best. I was hugely relieved when Letty fessed up to Fernando just in time, whew!!

I loved Lety's fantasy, it was a hoot! The way she was dressed and the wacky hats totally cracked me up. I hope she has more daydreams like that. Thanks for pointing out the factual details and cameos. No way would I have noticed that stuff.

I find it interesting how Fernando acts happier when Lety is around him and how he seems indifferent and sometimes annoyed when Marcia is with him. He seems more OK with Marcia when they are home alone (probably the sex) but at work he is just...meh.
 

Sylvia - YES! Fernando & Marcia have great sex, but other than that, they ain't got much. You can see his anxiety rise the moment she steps into a room. And annoyance. In contrast, you see his stress drain away when Lety's in the room. We're in the golden age where their friendship is deepening. Having her there makes him feel good. Which makes Marcia aggravated. Which makes her more of a shrew. Which makes Fernando more annoyed with Marcia and more drawn to Lety.

One more thing on Marcia. She HATES when he goes payaso - she hates something that is fundamental to WHO HE IS. Whereas Lety loves his payaso side, she laughs, and she plays along.
 

Julie, I recommend that you don't miss today's 1st cap, #27. It's a good one.

With Omar, I think it's jealousy. In the beginning, he was actually considerate of Lety - he put himself as a human shield against Ariel, he noticed when she was limping with broken glasses, he often gave her his seat, he tried to stop Fernando from firing her, and he told Fern, "if you don't care for her as a woman, at least care for her as an employee."

But the closer Fern gets to Lety, the nastier Omar gets. Ever since they were school boys, it's been Fern and Omar. Inseparable. No women got between them, because neither seriously loved any woman ever. Omar has always been at the right hand of the superstar Fernando. But now Omar feels like his closest-to-the-king position is threatened. She's his rival for Fernando's love.

And what else does Omar have besides Fernando? No friends, no apparant family, no woman in his life, he's a LOUSY salesman, and he's an imbecile. Being Super Fernando's closest friend is the ONLY thing he has, personally or professionally. And Lety is gradually taking that away from him.
 

Man, that fantasy was AWESOME. Loved the Cartoon Fancy outfits, especially the hats and Lety's pearl-trimmed glasses.

I also love how Fernando's reaction to Lety is gradually changing. He looked so dopily blissful after their big chat, and he's starting to seem more amused than confused and embarrassed by her strange mannerisms. The "propio, propio, propio" after her excessive "con permisos" is funny.
 

Julia, "he's starting to seem more amused than confused and embarrassed by her strange mannerisms." Good point! I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it. His progress has been:
* Totally oblivious to her.
* She sure is brilliant / sweet / valuable. But boy is she weird!
* She's so awkward - isn't that cute? Like a lab puppy whose paws are too big, but it's adorable.
 

Julia, I could not agree more on how fernando's treatment of Lety is changing... but I have to say I was dissappointed in the last scene of theirs last night. In BLF Armando comes around his desk, grabs her by the shoulders from behind (very nicely) and speaks to her just as sweetly about how much he admires her and needs her... I don't know... the physical contact added to the scene... Fernando was there attitude-wise but he was sitting on the desk away from her. And I too love how he tries to 'return' her bowing and repeat his response when she repeats 'con permiso'... too funny
 

Like a lab puppy whose paws are too big, but it's adorable. ROFLOL!!! NICE ANALOGY, PAULA!!! ITA!!
 

well... the only time that lety seems to reflect on and notice how Fernando has changed in how he interacts with her is when she is at home writing in her diary... she definitely has changed how she talks to Tomas... remember the first couple days she would totally write herself off as a 'possibility' for Fernando to see her as a woman... now with Juana's predictions and Fernando repeating to her over and over again that he needs her and will protect her from anyone... she is beginning to change her stance to hopeful/wishing...
 

hey Paula, maybe we should list some more subtle 'before and after' lists... like one of those milestones would be when she let him know she had done the business plan, another one would be yesterday's when she came out honest to him just in time... his attitude towards her goes through some less radical but noticeable transformations at those milestones (than the one you love to mention coming later)
 

for example.. the very first 'milestone' we can mention is the first time lety got fired (during the nutty supermodel day)... At that time Fernando was defending Lety not so much for being Lety but for having SOMEONE there to screen/shield/cover-up his 'adventures'... it was not about Lety as a person but more about having someone other than Alicia there to count on for the things he did not want to share with Marcia or other stockowners.
The business plan incident day pushed him to defend Lety more as a super valuable business asset (she proved her value as a proffessional and loyal servant)... but it is not until yesterday's episode that he is really paying more attention to the human side of Lety, and to her life outside Conceptos.
 

i missed one.. the day of the equestrian incident... again Fernando saw how far Lety is willing to go as a 'faithful servant' even going as far as getting fired (again) if need be but she has to protect his interests at any price... again he noticed her loyalty and also noticed the role of the cuartel (he has to protect them as well)
 

Another character that is noticing Fernando's attitude changes toward Lety is Omar... and he does not seem that happy about it... both as competition taking away his 'play partner' but also because Fernando is trusting Lety much more than Omar would. Fernando is putting all the eggs (including the Villaroel's, the Mendiola's and Omar's own 'minority stockowner' participation) in Lety's basket. He warns Fernando that this is putting the company in Lety's name but after all it is Fernando's decision to make.
 

Good idea, Marta. Remind me to come back to that project when they stop playing these double episodes. Right now it's all I can do to keep up.
 

it was a very nice touch that in Lety's fantasy she orders a bottle fo good whiskey for Fernando's table... (this was also done in BLF)... that is how they get Fernando to come to their (Lety and cuartel's) table.
 

Thanks so much Paula. You are making this so enjoyable to watch.

I loved how Fer's eyes softened when Lety was explaining her family's situation.

I think that Fer is finding a new depth within himself.

dpd
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder