Monday, September 27, 2010

La Fea Más Bella #21-22 9/27/10 Buy Low, Sell High.

Read Chris's original recap. That recap covers Caps 18 - 21. Cap 21 is in the last part of that recap.

Capitulo 21

1. Fernando proposes to make Lety acting VP of finance. He offers to let Ariel inspect Lety’s files, but his bluff is so confident, Ariel declines.

2. Ariel tells Alicia he knows she sabotaged Lety’s computer, IOW he will be able to blackmail her. Later he orders her to meet him at 9 PM, so she turns down a date
trystwith Omar.

3. Fernando heaps the praise on Lety. You stick with me, the sky’s the limit! Omar mocks her cruelly.

4. Lola worries that with Olarte gone, they’ll reduce her pay. Lety says Lola will do work for her. Lola reports that Alicia was in Lety’s office just before her computer crashed.

5. Marcia tells Ali that whoever sabotaged it will be in a heap of trouble. Fernando suspects Ali did it, and that Ariel will use her as his only spy. He assigns Omar to stick close to her

6. Lety says they’ve cut costs by 10% but they must reach 25% and increase production. Fernando wants to switch from 35mm to video, and get work in the Latino market in the US. See the transcript. Meanwhile Luigi tells Marcia that NO quality director will ever use video.

7. Lety distracts Fernando so he doesn’t reprimand Lola for fighting with Efren at the office.

8. Paula agrees to a ride from Saimon, but then she accepts a ride from Omar.

9. Fernando takes Lety to the CineRent cocktail to sign the contract for a new video camera. The drunk Foster Brooks waiter makes Lety lose her shoe. Fernando zeroes in on tonight’s conquest (he hopes).

Spanish Lesson
The triumverate in the meeting room. Note, this is the gist, not a precise translation.

F: Lowering costs and increasing production for foreign customers, we can double profits, right?
L: It’s not a sure thing. This plan will require a lot of hard work. Big sacrifices from everyone.
O: In other words, there are more risks than certainties.
L: Yes, of course (desde luego). And the risk is very serious.
F: Wait. I get the impression that you’re afraid of the strategy that you yourself proposed.
L: I proposed it because I didn’t have any better alternative. To be honest, I wouldn’t change anything. Your goal to double profits is making you push too hard.
F: The skydiver already jumped out of the plane; he can’t turn back. And I can’t go backwards. I just fired Olarte, accusing him of dishonesty. If I gave up on this goal, I would have to admit that the dishonest one is me. (Funny you should mention that!!!). Stop eating! And Ariel would suspect that we doctored the balance. So I would have no choice but to give him the presidency.
O: Honor above all else! And it doesn’t matter if we ruin the company.
F: No! Not that. I know that we can go forward. I have to take the risk. I need you to believe in me. In this project.
O: You can count on my total support.

Vocabulary:
descuidar – to stop paying attention or stop taking care of something. When Fernando tells Omar to keep a close eye on Alicia.
lupa – a jeweler’s loop, i.e. a magnifying glass. They say Ariel will examine the balance with a lupa.
‘perame, ‘toy contigo, ‘tas loco! – When a word begins with “es,” Mexicans often drop the first syllable. The most common I’ve heard is that “Wait!” comes out as “ ‘perame.”

This scene list is longer than usual because the cap carried more material than usual. Friday’s meeting made some important changes – Lety is acting VP and that changes her status, Olarte is gone so Ariel recruits drafts Alicia, Fernando passed the meeting hurdle and now he works on increasing profits. So the cap had to define “the new world order.”



Capitulo 22

Read Chris's original recap. Note, that recap covers Caps 22 - 26. If you don’t want to read ahead, stop at the paragraph that begins, “Fernando and Marcia discuss his plans to give Lety signing authority.” That marks the beginning of Cap 23.

1. Ariel blackmails Alicia. In exchange for his silence, she has to spy on Fernando.

2. Omar presents Fernando to tonight’s target, Magalay. His pick-up line: Woe is me! I’m so rich, but I don’t have anyone to share it with! The thrust of his flirting is, “Let’s get married.” Fernando worries about the change from 35mm to video. He’s not going to tell Luigi.

3. Marcia calls from his house. She asks, “Why does that bother you, mi amor? Because now you can’t bring your date back here?”

4. Alicia gets home and finds out that her electricity and gas have been shut off. She says to herself, “Today, indeed, I reached poverty.” She calls her dad to ask for money but he turns her down.

5. Fernando offers Lety a ride home from the cocktail. He asks her, “Do you think it will work?” See transcript.

6. Marcia asks Fernando who he cheated with this time. She asks if the company is in trouble and whether the balance was legitimate. She says, “If you hide something from me about the company, I’ll never forgive you.”

7. Lety tells her diary that Fernando pleaded with her not to abandon him. He needs her for work, and she needs him for love.

8. Erasmo’s job is gone because the company shut down. Lety’s salary won’t cover expenses. Tomás begs Lety to for a job at Conceptos because the family bakery isn’t doing well.

9. Fernando gets to work early because of insomnia. (Remember what his dad said about being able to sleep well?) He, Omar, and Marcia are going to LA to drum up US business, so Lety will be in charge. Omar worries, but Fernando has absolute confidence in her.

10. Miguel of CineRent sets up a lunch date with Lety to talk about their other products.

Spanish Lesson
In Fernando’s car. Note, this is the gist, not a precise translation.

F: Do you think this could work?
L: You and Marcia are getting married. I don’t want to come between you.
F: What on earth are you talking about? Can it work or not?
L: Pardon me. I thought you meant the señorita at the cocktail. I was confused.
F: I’m talking about the change in Conceptos.
L: As I said before, it depends on the market, the..
F: Look! If you won’t give me a straight answer, it’s because you think I’m crazy. Tell me. Do you think I’m risking the company to reach my goal.
L: Yes.
F: Your pessimism worries me. You think I can’t reach my goals.
L: We’re working hard, but you know it’s a big risk.
F: Tell me the odds, in your estimation.
L: 10:1. F: That’s not so bad. L: 10 against, 1 for!
F: Well, my future depends on that one chance. But I need you to be optimistic. Help me. Believe in what we’re doing.
L: Of course! I’m with you on this. I believe in you. Count on me for anything. I will never leave you alone (abandon you). I will always be with you, Don Fernando.

Vocabulary:
chantajear – blackmail. Alicia asks Ariel, “Are you going to blackmail me?”

Labels:


Comments:
Alone in his bathroom, Fernando realizes, “Poor Lety, I didn’t even thank her” and he actually regrets it. Is this his first unselfish thought? His first human moment without any ulterior motive or conniving? Is this our first tiny glimpse of the Higher Fernando?

Fern notes to Omar that Lety started meeting timid but gained confidence as meeting progressed. So Omar trips her! Then Fernando heaps the compliments on her, praising what a powerhouse she was at the meeting. So when she leaves, Omar gets really ugly in his mockery. The connection is clear.

Fern tells Magalay, “I’m so rich, but I don’t have anyone to share it with!” Actually it’s true. His fiance harangues him, his parents don’t believe in him, and his best friend only wants to play. Lety is his only safe harbor.

Notice that in Cap 21 we have people instigating or trying to instigate relationships of various kinds.
* Ariel starts to blackmail Alicia.
* Omar gives Paula a ride.
* Fernando tries to pick up Magalay
* Fernando gives Lety a ride home.

Our Foster Brooks waiter revived the old Churchill line:
Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”
Churchill: And you, Madam, are ugly. But tn the morning, I shall be sober."

In the scene with Magalay, someone overdid it with Fernando’s eye shadow.

Lety’s clothing style changed slightly, with her promotion to acting VP. No more lace collars.
 

Thanks so much, Paula and Ferro. I had to miss today's epis so I will try to find them on YouTube. But the helpful recaps fill me in so well.

GinCA
 

OH! IMPORTANT! Don't miss Wednesday. The 2nd episode, #26, is spectacular. The hits just keep coming. One of the best of the series IMHO.
 

My recording hiccuped in Cap 21 when the cuartel was in the baño primping Lety. I caught everything except what Juana said. Her sentence ended in something like, "conseguir el jefe." Anybody? It's at Cap 21, hack 35:40 on the complete disk set.
 

Thanks Paula. Ferro your recaps are so much fun to read.

Paula, I think Jauna said something about Lety "obtaining" Don Fernando. The word she used was "consiguio". Lety told her not even to tease about that. Jauna apoligized to her and said they all think it is strange because his old secretary Mireya never went to cocktails with him or rode in his car. Then they teased her about sitting in the same place where other Famous backsides had sat. Or something like that.

I have a question about Diana from Cine-rent. Is she the same actress that plays Rosaura on Dinero? It sort of looks like her.
 

These were very fun episodes. I love that Fernando is now defending Lety and always getting closer to her. The funniest was when he took food off her fork. Also, when Omar entered Ferni's office and didn't immediately see him, he first looked for him in Lety's closet.

It was nice of the cuartel to help Lety fix herself up, but I don't think they could possibly have found crueler shoes to force her into. Her chunky ankle-strap shoes really would have been fine.
 

Paula, I also noticed that the lace collars seem to be gone at last! No offense intended to the matrons out there (of which I am one) but it seems like the only women who wear those lace collar thingies are grannies or "mature" maids. I'm SO glad Letty ditched the look. (On the other hand it's kind of sad that such a lovely art as is connected only with the "Miss Havisham" sorts of characters. Oh well.)

Hey, Jacqui Bracamontes played Malagy! I like the cameos.

Thanks for the reminder of the Churchill quote. Very fun.

I felt sorry for Saimon. Poor guy, it sucks to be in second place. In the racing frame of mind, second place = loser. If you ain't first you ain't...nuthin'.
 

I loved the scenes between Fernando and Jacky B. Marvelous repartee - it left me wanting more. Be careful what you wish for! In Tontas she played the same snitty wisea$$ who thinks all men are pigs, and it turned real old real fast.

Yes Pata, Diana plays Rosaura on Dinero.

Regarding Saimon, Omar's rubbing it in, too. At one point he was going to walk right through Reception, but then he saw Saimon, so he stepped in front of him and flirted with Paula. Pig!

Alicia and Lety, equal and opposite. Over two days, both had major changes in economics and relationships. Lety became acting VP while Alicia entered poverty. Lety went to the cocktail and got a ride home with Fernando, while Alicia became enslaved to Ariel.
Another similarity between them. Miguel tries to control Lety by a bribe. Ariel controls Ali by extortion.

Today, a new theme. Lety and Marcia are opposites in how they treat Fernando and how Fernando treats them.
* They almost run into each other in the doorway to the presidencia. Fernando happily laughs at Lety, but he frowns when Marcia comes in.
* Fernando takes Lety home (does he EVER leave with Marcia anymore?) and confesses his fears to her. She promises to support him and never abandon him. In contrast, next he's with Marcia. He lies to her because she says she’d never forgive him.
 

Paula, I thought the same thing when Jaime and Jacqui had their scene together. The had some good comedic chemistry going on last night but in Tontas their relationship became irritating. Well, Jacqui's shrill man-hating character was irritating to be specific.

Interesting observation about Omar and Saimon. The body language and physical placement is used very effectively in this show.
 

i felt so bad for Saimon... my fav quote for last night:
Sai: Me dejaste como helecho en maceta... bien plantado!
(You left me feeling like a potted fern... well planted)
bien plantado can also be translated as 'stood up good'...
 

one difference I saw was Fernando's reaction when Omar began making fun of the idea of Lety going with them to the cocktail... by now Fernando is feeling offended when Omar makes fun of Lety. In BLF that did not happen until later... at this point Armando was at best indifferent when mario made fun of her. Here Fernando is just about to charge Omar for his constant insulting Lety.
 

and the issue Fernando had with Marcia being at his apartment for a long while alone was she had access to his telephone answering machine, he and Omar were fearing that maybe one of the 'girls' would call Fernando's number while marcia was at the house or she would check his 'old' messages.
 

Thanks for the great recaps Paula and Ferro! I am a LFMB virgen. I am so glad, Paula, that you gave me the heads up to watch this from the getgo! The show is refreshingly funny, especially compared to Soy Tu Duena, Llena De Amor, and Camaleones (the other shows I am watching and enjoying recaps on).
Paula - thanks for the vocab lesson. I couldn't find descuidar in my dictionary. I also enjoy your character insights - it makes watching the episodes twice alot more fun!
Pamela
 

Martaivett - Thanks for the translation about the potted fern. I was wondering what that meant. I also like reading all of the episode details you give and comparisons to BLF and YSBLF. When I watch, I just try to get the gist so the details make for a more enriching experience.
Pamela
 

Julia - I thought the food-off-the-fork scene was funny, too. BTW, Camaleones is now on Saturdays at 3:00 eastern. It was on for 2 hours a couple of weeks ago and 1 hour since then.
 

Tomas and the family bakery. When he's not eating at Letty's, do we know if he works at the bakery or does he just focus on trying to find a finance job?

Ever since someone mentioned the small wooden figure behind Fernando's desk, I have been looking forward to seeing what position it's in every episode.

I also like that Omar notices alot of exterior things about Lety (different clothes, she's been crying, her shoe is wet) while Fernando doesn't have a clue. Maybe he is focusing on noticing (step by step) what is going on inside instead.
Pamela
 

I also like that Omar notices alot of exterior things about Lety (different clothes, she's been crying, her shoe is wet) while Fernando doesn't have a clue. Maybe he is focusing on noticing (step by step) what is going on inside instead.
yes, good point! it was the same in BLF! Mario would notice the visual clues, while Armando would be analyzing the effect on her spirits.
 

Pamela, I'm so glad you've joined us! It sounds like you'll have plenty to add to the pot.

Regarding Lety's fork, to me the funniest part was, Fern said to Lety, "Stop eating!" With her fork halfway to her mouth, halted because he ordered her to stop, Fernando plucked the cheese off her fork and ate it! As veterans know, he has no qualms about taking someone else's food!

Omar is an imbecile, but he has a great survival sense. Part of that is, he is VERY observant of people who may be a threat. Fernando, OTOH, is so wrapped up in himself that he's totally oblivious to others. When he notices Lety in pain, he jumps to her rescue. But most of the time, he just doesn't notice. He's not self-centered (one who doesn't care about others), but he is VERY self-absorbed (one who doesn't notice others).
 

Marta, did you catch what Juana said in the baño? It sounded like a foreshadow in the way she delivered it, but my recording hiccuped so I'm stuck.

Some patron/client notes from Cap 21.
* Fern recognizes that the cuartel saved their butts regarding the computer sabotage - good clients. (A client's duty is to support the patron.)
* Lola worries that they'll reduce her pay since Olarte is gone, so she runs to her patron, Lety. Lety promises she’ll have work for her, and Lety will talk to Fern about salary. (A patron's duty is to protect and provide for the client.)
* Fernando is about to reprimand Lola for creating a scene with Efren in Reception, so Lety distracts Fernando to protect Lola.
 

Paula, I think the date for the recap is a week off. It should be 9/27/2010 not 20. Many times I forget the date myself so its understandable.
 

while Armando would be analyzing the effect on her spirits.... well... i am getting ahead of myself.. sorry, it is a blurr when I am in middle of task of translating the best of BLF to english and am about 40 eps ahead of you guys...
 

Anon, thank you for the tip about the date. Fixed!
 

Our Foster Brooks waiter revived the old Churchill line:
Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”
Churchill: And you, Madam, are ugly. But tn the morning, I shall be sober."
yeah this was a cute comical addition, there was nothing like this in BLF, Betty just knocked out one of the decorations at the exhibition of 'fabrics' at 'Rag-Tela' (LoL!! I still laugh at the name of the company)
 

Martaivett, you do a fantastic job of rounding out Paula's (and Ferro's) recaps. Your input is absolutely invaluable!! I'm very glad you are able and willing to join in.
 

Where exactly is the Juana and Lety scene in the bathroom? are you talking about when they were giving Lety a makeover before going to the cinerent event? when they were telling Lety that Fernando never gave Mireya a ride in his car (and PM said that the passenger seat in Fernando's car is famous for all the celebrity 'butts' that have sat on it) or taken her to any event with him? I will watch that section again, if I can tonight to see if I can get what Juana said..
 

Yes Marta. Immediately before they talk about Mireya never riding in his car. Whatever Juana said. Thanks a bunch!!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder