Wednesday, September 15, 2010

La Fea Más Bella #5-6 9/15/10 Nobody loves her but somebody values her.

Read Chris's original recap. Note, that recap covers Caps 4 and 5. Cap 5 starts at the paragraph that begins, “Marcia and Alicia storm into Lety’s office.”
Capitulo 5
1. Lety tries to resist Marcia even after she’s fired, but she fails. Fernando arrives. He pulls rank on Marcia. See the transcript.

2. Fernando threatens Lopez, restores Lety, and cuts short her probation. “You are the woman I need.” Omar teases that he’s in love. Fernando says Lety is indispensible, but Marcia will make him pay.

3. At the spa, MamaT tells Marcia that she’s acting like a teenager and she’s not ready to get married. Their life together would be hell (corrections welcome).

4. Roman sets up a date between Lety and his buddy Carlos. Lety’s parents show off their “new” car.

5. Lety tells Tom to forget about Alicia because he’s not rich. They joke about the odds of finding a mate.

6. Omar demonstrates a program to find Fernando the perfect woman. It selects Lety, and Omar teases that a fea makes the best wife.

7. Lety tells Tom that Fernando fought with Marcia for her sake. Tomás suggests that maybe he’ll ditch Marcia for Lety’s sake (corrections welcome).

8. Pop won’t let Lety go out with Carlos. Lety says he never lets her meet anyone. MamaJ changes Pop’s mind.

9. Marcia puts Fernando on trial for infidelity, fulfilling her fantasy of dominating him. Fernando remembers the part he likes about Marcia.

Spanish Lesson

Watch the scene and try to figure out how the words they say match the English translation. Make a list of new vocabulary and phrases you want to learn. I’m going to add yesterday’s “no le des mas vueltas” (Get over it!) to my phrases. Pick one or two and make a deliberate effort to use TODAY! You could tell your cat, “Cuándo me vas a dejar en paz?!” (When will you leave me in peace?).

When you see something in brackets with a question mark, e.g. [when in the course of humid evenings ?], it’s my best guess at a translation, and it’s probably wrong. I would welcome a correction.


Fernando puts three people in their place: Marcia, Lopez, and Lety.

M: I needed a telephone number. I demanded that she give me your agenda. She didn’t want to.
F: I ordered her not to give it to anyone. That includes you, Marcia. I won’t allow you to come and give orders, much less fire people from this office.
M: She must respect me. I’m the executive producer, stockholder, and your novia. However you want to look at it, she should obey me and respect me.
F: Yes, but not above me.
Fernando tells her to respect his position as president, a position he deserves. If she doesn’t like it, they can discuss it at the next board meeting.

Pay special attention to the word order and use of pronouns in the Spanish in this next section. Prounouns are usually omitted in Spanish, but Fernando uses them heavily here, to add emphasis. Also he uses some strange word order to put the stress on the points he’s making.

F: Where are you going, hombre?
L: Personnel. They fired me.
F: Hmm. Okay. Do me one last favor, okay? Contact Lopez for me.
L: Mr. Lopez? I’m connecting you to Don Fernando.
F: Lopez? Look, tell me one little thing. Who authorized you to fire Leticia Pedilla?
Oh! How nice. Listen, Lopez, do you know who I am [and what I do ?] in this company? Well, it seems that you don’t! Learn it right now! The one who gives the orders here is ME. You cannot fire anyone without my knowledge, much less someone in my office! See here! Nobody goes over my head. You know what [they call me here ?], right? I’m the president of the company, not some nobody off the street. And the next time, Raul Lopez, the one who leaves is you!

F: To Lety. Your letter of resignation? He tears it up. Where is the trash can?
L: Throw it here!
F: Go put your things back and go home and rest. You are not leaving Conceptos.
L: Are you sure, Don Fernando? It’s best that I leave. I’m only going to cause you problems with Doña Marcia. She hates me. She realizes that I arranged things so you could escape with that, um, señorita. Since I didn’t give her your agenda, I’m going to have an enemy for life. That’s no good for anybody.
F: Ay. Look. I want to tell you something. You should’ve spent two months here on probation before being contracted. Now that’s not necessary. You are contracted now. In only one day you demonstrated what I hoped to find in that two months. He takes her by the chin. You are the woman that I need.




Capitulo 6

Read Chris's original recap, then come back here to discuss it.
1. In bed, Fernando says that the best part was the return of the Marcia he fell in love with.

2. Lety gets stood up (dejar plantada). RoboPop says, “I told you so,” but he promises her a lollipop to make her feel better.

3. Lety tells her diary that no one will let her show how much love she can give. Instead she’ll throw herself into serving / working for Fernando.

4. Paula’s typical date – guys with money who like her body but nothing else.

5. Fernando tells Omar how exciting Marcia was. She wanted to talk, blah, blah, blah, but then they got to the good part. Omar tells him that no woman can be creative night after night, so it’s best to go from woman to woman.

6. Tomás demands that Roman apologize to Lety, so Roman punches him out. RoboPop roughs up Roman.

7. Lety diverts a call from Monica R, and Fernando is pleased that she handled it exactly right. She finally corrects him when he calls her Linda, and he finally pays attention.

8. Fernando orders reports from the executives. Luigi complains about Paula’s son, and Fernando tells Lopez to reprimand her. Lopez tells Paula she’s fired if she doesn’t go out with him, but Lety intervenes.

9. At lunch the cuartel cruelly gossips about Lety within earshot.

10. Lety plans to create a summary report from the mountain of data. Alicia won’t let Lety look good in front of Fernando.

Labels:


Comments:
What's up with the posable wooden artist's model behind Fernando? It changes position all the time. He keeps it in his office throughout the series, even when his office has a major overhaul. I suspect the positions mean something. But what???

We're already seeing Fernando give Lety looks that say, "She's so sweet / valuable / brilliant / loyal" etc. But did you notice, those looks are usually followed by rolling his eyes or cringing because, in addition to being a treasure, she's also kinda' weird.

My favorite scene today: Marcia asks, "How many times have you betrayed me?" Fernando takes a long time counting them all! Then he says, “None!”

In bed, Fernando tells Marcia that the best part was the return of the Marcia he fell in love with. She promises to be that Marcia again, and not control him anymore. But in the very next breath, she tells him he can't go home tonight, he has to stay there.
 

Again, just got to see part of this, but it is so awesomely good compared to what's on currently. I will have to look for that posable wooden artist's model behind Fernando. I never notice details. Just get the big picture.

Omar sure tried to take the zip out of Fernando's romantic evening with his observation that no woman could keep up with original seduction scenes for long....so better to jump from female to female to avoid boredom. What a snake!
 

WHAT MAKES FEA SO GREAT?

Fea has had, what? 18 remakes? Every one of them was a hit. The original and the Mexican broke all sorts of viewing records.

Why? What is it about Fea that makes it truly great? What is it that makes it a favorite for so many people? What is it that makes it so different? Yes, it's a Cinderella story, but aren't half the novelas out there a Cinderella story? Why is Fea different?

And getting more personal, why do YOU love it?
 

Oy, it's only the third day, and already I'm way behind on my viewing. I hope they change to one hour per day at some point.

I'm really enjoying what I've seen and the recaps and discussions so far, though. Too soon for me to say what makes it excellent but I'm sure I'll have comments on that later, and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on that sneaky wooden figure.

So far my favorite part of this one is Fernando's humor and charm, but I'm not sure that accounts for 18 versions all being successful. As you said, Cinderella stories (and ugly duckling stories) are a dime a dozen. For me, part of the charm is that Lety is so competent and spunky. She's easier to root for than the sobbing doormats (who mysteriously attract ALL the men) we sometimes get as heroines.
 

I think Julia's hit it on the head. It's the Ugly Duckling aspect that makes this tale so universal. Feeling like an Ugly Duckling is something that practically every human can identify with. I don't care what we look like, we have all, at one time or another, felt like the ugly and watched someone less deserving but more "swan-like" win out.
 

While I think the ugly duckling and Cinderella themes make FEA, and its other remakes so popular, I think that it also speaks to the very deep need we all have to be recognized for who we REALLY are and loved for who and what we are --not for how we look, our status in the world, etc. Eventually not only is Lety loved and recognized for who she is, but in the end so is Fernando.Thats what makes this often-cartoon like telenovela so resonant for me. Thanks for the provocative question, Paula.
 

Yes, the Ugly Duckling turns into a Swan. Before she does, it's nice to know she is loved and appreciated for who she is as a person: her mind, her talent, her empathy, her loyalty, her tenacity. I agree, though the beautiful people in this T N are shallow and cruel and some people are in real life, almost everyone would like to be appreciated for what they are inside, not by the wrappings, since we all have to age, unfiotunately. And by the end, they all seem to grow into better people which makes for a happy story. Sorry for the spoiler but this isn't a regular novela where everyone needs to be hit by a fatal pie cart.

GinCA
 

For any Fea veterans who want to point out foreshadows, I created a Twitter page, http://twitter.com/FeaFores .

The early cap's are packed with foreshadows, but we can't really discuss them here because an exposed foreshadow is a kind of spoiler.

Twitter seemed like the best vehicle to swap the one-liners. Let me know if you have questions about Twitter.
 

In bed, Fernando said he was glad for the return of the Marcia he fell in love with. Which one is that? The one who’s really, really good in bed? Notice Fernando’s body language after sex - arms folded across his chest.

The leather jacket Fern wears in Cap 6. I'm pretty sure it's the same one he wore in his best movie, 7 Días.

How appropriate, that on the eve of El Grito (Mexican independence day), we see Mama J is making Chiles en Nogada, a marvelous dish associated with Puebla and El Grito. Don't look at this page if you're hungry - it looks too delicious!!
 

wow, where do I begin?
first, only one correction for the translation...
Go put your things back. Look. Don’t leave Conceptos.
he actually said, go put your things back and go home and rest. You are not leaving conceptos...
LOVED your comment about RoboPop offering her a lollipop... have to go rewatch again, in BLF he offered her a family outing (which is what he is used to compensate her with, I guess)

Regarding subject about Fea being such a commonly used Cinderella plotline and the insane fame of the Fea remakes... I agree with everyone, Betty/Lety and Armando/Fernando are typical early cinderella characters, with the exception that Betty/Lety is very smart and educated, and both Betty/Lety and Armando/Fernando get to be known and appreciated in the end for what they really are, not for who everyone else sees them as... and also they fall in love slowly, especially on the Armando/Fernando side... so it is more realistic (also, remember this is set in modern times and realistic setting with plenty of interesting characters surrounding them) than most Cinderella stories.
 

btw, chris guessed the new Padilla troncomobil was a montecarlo from circa 1980 (well, my dad had a 80 MC and it is not it); my guess it actually is a chevy and my guess is it is a caprice from around 1977-1980. my aunt had one and eventually gave it to my brother as his first owned car... and even the color matches...
 

aren't those summaries by Chris a hoot? this is making this re-viewing so much fun for me, besides commenting on it with you all.
 

btw the next celebrity guest on site will be Benny Ibarra, who happens to be the real life son of Julissa, playing Teresita, Fernando's mom.
Is this considered a spoiler?
 

What makes Fea so special to me is that it is the story of a man falling in love. In most novelas, Manuel sees Matilde in the carriage, and he’s instantly in love. He spends the next 75 to 200 episodes making puppy eyes at her. Or else they hate each other, then they fight the barn fire together and they are instantly in love. A lightswitch moment. Not Fea. Fea is more like dawn. His love starts with total darkness, then a dim glow on the horizon, then the first sliver of sun over the mountains. then morning light which changes the color of everything, and finally full sun overhead, hot and blazing. As the theme song says, “Cada día te quiero más” (every day I love you more). His love progresses paso a paso, step by step.

Cap #1: Even if she’s ugly, anything is better than Alicia.
Cap #2: Lety’s financial abilities make her a great asset to him.
Cap #4: The way she protected him in the Karla Lagunes matter proves that she’s both clever and willing to support him.
Cap #5: He sees her tremendous loyalty when she’ll even get fired for him. Fernando values loyalty very highly.
Cap #6: When she screens Monica’s call, he sees how well she takes care of him.

Paso a paso.
 

Yes, Marta, that is considered a spoiler. It's always hard, getting accustomed to a new neighborhood. You'll get used to it.
 

Okay, I've caught up on the episodes, for now. I think the story has a lot of heart, but also the characters are just very funny. I want to keep watching just to see what they'll say or what facial expression or gesture they'll make next. I love how they mimic each other. Like, Lety did that silly little bowing thing, and Fernando was copying it to mock her when she left and Omar was there, then later in the meeting, Fernando did the same little bows toward Lety without seeming to intentionally mock her.

I love Luigi, too, even though he's kind of mean. He reminds me a lot of Ximena from Gancho.

So, I've been paying attention to the wooden figure. Is it possible that it reflects what's going on with Lety or Fernando or both? I only got a few glimpses, but it was facing the wall, like it was walking away, when Lety was fired and Fernando was planning to break up with Marcia, and then later, when Lety was back to stay and gung-ho about the reports, and Fernando was freshly full steam ahead in his relationship with Marcia, the figure was facing forward again and looked like it was running.
 

Oh, and thanks to Mr. Ferro for his brilliance of yore. The recaps are hysterical and I don't know how he manages to be so consistently funny. I really enjoyed reading about Beavis and Butthead standing up Lety and then getting the snot kicked out of them, and I had to fast-forward through a lot of that because I just was in no mood to see Lety suffer that way.
 

Thank you, Marta. I fixed that line. And about the lollipop, if I remember correctly, RoboPop actually says they'll go out to a movie on Friday, and go out for churros or somethingon Saturday. To make her feel better. But it might as well have been a lollipop.
 

(this is more ...) the story of a man falling in love.
Good point! and I have come to realize it is even more of a man falling in love than Lety/Betty herself falling in love. like you said, she pretty much fell in love instantly with the image of the ideal man (or the concept of a man interested in her, take your pick). But Betty's 'falling' was rather instant compared to Fernando's... and yes, I agree, that his maturing and his falling in love with her one 'feature' at a time is an ever so slowly blooming flower right in front of our eyes...
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder