Wednesday, November 03, 2010

La Fea Más Bella #73-74 11/3/10 Friends, Lovers, and Amantes.

Capitulo 73.
Read Julie’s original recap which covers Cap’s 70 to 74. Then come back here to discuss it.

1. The cuartel thinks that Marcia gave Fernando the bruises. Fernando entertains Lola and Marta with the story of the fight. Alicia begs them to not fire Paula (so she doesn’t get demoted to receptionist), but Marcia doesn’t interfere with Fernando’s orders. When Saimon takes them all to witness Paula and Jaimito’s condition, Fernando leaves so they don’t see him blubber, and Alicia stands completely alone.

2. Marcia counsels Paula to stop running around with men who just want to use her, and establish a relationship with someone who cares about her. She thinks the ricos will solve her problems but she ends up worse than when she started. Marcia tries to steer her toward Saimon, but Paula says he doesn’t make enough money.

3. Lety arrives with her new luke, The Green Nightmare, and everyone is stunned. Marcia is enticing Fernando when Lety walks in (note his body language with Marcia and with Lety), and Marcia gapes at the new luke. Lety hears Marcia ridiculing her, and Fern tells Marcia to stop.

4. Fernando walks up as Marcia and Alicia ridicule Lety some more. Marcia tells him not to be angry since they’re not laughing at Lety but at her poor novio.


Capitulo 74.
Read Julie’s original recap which covers Cap’s 70 to 74. Then come back here to discuss it.

1. Saimon is working on Jazmín once again.

2. Fernando tells Omar that Lety changed her look and he’s upset because everyone has been laughing at her. Omar calls Lety “mostrete” and Fernando orders him to stop immediately. Once again, Fernando shows compassion for Lety, so Omar throws a particularly cruel monologue against her, so Fern literally puts him up against the wall.

3. See transcript. Paula tells Lety that if she wants to hang on to Tomás she needs to sleep with him. (After all, who knows about keeping a man, better than Paula?) If Tom doesn’t initiate, Lety needs to. Meanwhile, Omar asks Fernando what he’ll do when Lety gets frisky. Fern says no way will he sleep with her, but Omar says he certainly can’t reject her.

4. Omar tells Fernando that the purpose of an amante is wild sex. Fern answers that he’s got Marcia for that, and the sex is incredible. In fact, that’s the only thing they have. Paula tells Lety that if he’s not getting it from her, he’ll get it elsewhere. Lety says it seems like he doesn’t desire her.

5. The cuartel agrees that they need to tell Lety that her new look is awful, but who will bell the cat?

6. Omar says Fernando should arrange plastic surgery for Lety. Fern says there’s no way to suggest changing her face without hurting her feelings. And Marcia would find out he paid for it, since she reviews all his statements.


Spanish Lesson: Parallel conversations
This is a VERY loose translation. The conversation ping-pongs between Paula and Lety in one restaurant, and Omar and Fernando in another.

Paula: when will you sleep with him?
L: We have an intellectual relationship. He hasn’t made moves.
P: Then you need to jump him.

F: No way will I sleep with her. To kiss her takes a bottle of whiskey, psychological conditioning, and the Paty photo (not anymore; only a small cringe). Besides, she’s not asking for it.
O: She needs more. You need to be prepared. What will you do when she makes moves? Reject her? Run away?
F: Our attention is on other things.

P: If you don’t, he’ll get it elsewhere. He’ll satisfy his needs with una otra. (repeats later)

Pay close attention to their definition of an amante.
O: Why else would you have an amante. To talk politics? No. An amante is to have passionate sex with.
F: That’s what I have Marcia for, remember? With her, pardon me, but it’s incredible. But it’s all we have. It’s what keeps us together. It’s all there is. With Lety, it’s a relationship. more cerebral. (Notice he doesn’t say “relationship” regarding Marcia.)

L: He admires my intellect, etc. but I don’t think he desires me.
P: Then either he’s gay or he’s not attracted to you.

O: Seducing her is how you show you’re crazy about her.
F: But I’m not crazy about her, I don’t desire her, especially not with the new luke. And the cuartel doesn’t have the heart to tell her.

Labels:


Comments:
Look carefully (in the Spanish lesson) at Omar's definition of an amante, and Fernando's description of his interaction with his two women. According to their own words, who is the amante???
 

I do have a question as my Spanish picks up. does Letty in any way especially when she is writing in her diary ever think that Fernando is making the moves on her because she is the owner of Conceptos? I keep wondering if it even occurs to her.
Jenn
 

Hi Paula, reaaly liked today's Spanish lesson. Don't really enjoy the Paula M. time or Jazmin and Lola and Efron time.

Lety's new "luke" is quite unusual. Actually the suit wasn't so bad, but the hair and the make-up was over the top.

Thanks again Paula. I appriciate all your work on this.
 

Thank you for the encouragement, Pata. It makes a big difference in my motivation.

Jenn, as far as I can recall, Lety never considers the embargo as a cause for the relationship. Several times, starting with the kisses at the carnival, she says, "You have no reason to have interest in me." She is often astounded that a man like him would want a woman like her. In tomorrow's cap she'll say that something feels not-right about the relationship. But the embargo never enters her mind. Probably because she sees Fernando as honest and noble, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Love is blind.
 

I'm still here, Paula, trying to keep up with watching everyday. But I do read your great recaps and comments. Lurking but here. Thanks for all.

GinCA
 

Did anyone think of the Carol Burnett show about spoofing "Gone with Wind" when she did the curtain dress? That is all I could think of when I saw Letty's new "luke" they both carried it with such class.
And Paula thanks for the note about Letty. I guess love is blind or maybe her Fernando would not do anything like seduce her because of the embargo!
 

Paula, your question "who is the amante?" is an excellent one. What a great way of observing Fernando's dilemma and his oblivious transition.

Even though Lety's luke wasn't entirely successful at least she is giving some thought to her appearance. Also, she thinks she looks more attractive so she seems to have a bit more confidence which isn't a bad thing.

Anon, I haven't thought of that Carole Burnett skit in years but yes, I remember her curtain rod dress! I have to admit I didn't think about it during Lety's grand entrance but I can see your point.
 

Paula, thanks for all the work you put into this. I really enjoy the "thought" questions and the careful analysis. I missed Lety's "new look" when I watched the original, so that was an experience.
La Paloma
 

Yesterday the second hour was preempted by the presidential press conference. How did you watch this? I hope they pick up where they left off tomorrow.
 

P.S. Thanks again, Julie, for your recap that you did four years ago.

I saw the new-look episode back then, and it was one of the first I saw and I didn't know what the heck was going on.
 

I hope they show yesterday's second hour today - I was so looking forward to it!
 

And they still sell that hideous Laugh & Learn "Learning Puppy." (Actually they may have revised it a bit - maybe it's my imagination, but I think it looks more like a puppy now.)

I must say, it's a rather strange gift to give to an adult. A regular stuffed animal is one thing, but this is more like a baby toy. It sings and teaches ABCs and such.
 

Pacific Time saw both episodes yesterday. Who can know what they'll do today? I always post the summary before the show airs here. So today I'll post #75 & 76, but if they do something whacky with the broadcast, I'll go back and change it.

I leave on vacation tomorrow morning (Fri). My internet access will be severely limited; I expect to go on-line two or three times per week. We'll see. Sylvia has kindly offered to post a comments page and links to Julie's old recaps while I'm gone.

You have some sensational episodes coming up while I'm away.
 

Thanks, Paula. I know we're coming up to the really good stuff, the last few episodes that I missed in 2006. I'm giddy with anticipation!
 

you would be surprised at how much small kids learn from the old laugh and learn stuffed interactive animals and the little grab and go pianos that play melodies in animal sounds... my daughter learned a lot from those, tv shows like sesame street, and also from her dad teaching her the abs and 123s ... when she entered kinder she was reading at 2nd grade level. small kids nowadays don't have so many educational healthy options to watch... its mostly cartoons nowadays... my 1 year old grandson loves the Sesame street 40 yr anniv dvd set, he prefers dvd no. 1 (the 1st 20 years).
 

btw, in cst we also got pre-empted for 2nd hour with the presidential address.
 

Okay, if Eastern and Central (so Mountain too, right?) got preempted, I'd say there's a good chance they'll replay it. If anyone on Eastern watches in real time, can you post a message here when you know what they broadcast today? Thanks. (I'm Pacific.)
 

I'm in Mountain time but In Arizona so yesterday I was still on Pacific and got both episodes.

Poor Letty and her new Luke. There isn't a woman on earth who would look good in lime green with a plastic flower in her hair and a frumpy black skirt. God Bless her however for being proud of herself and not thinking anything was off even while everyone else was laughing at her. Her cuartel of friends were the worst. And to be honest I was surprised that Omar was as contained as he was. Loved Fern sticking up for her with Omar at least.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder