Thursday, December 23, 2010

La Fea Más Bella #141-142 12/23/10 Dr. Frankenstein forgot certain safety features.

Capitulo 141.
Read k-Fuego’s original recap, then come back here to discuss it.

1. Lety scolds Tom for flirting with Jaz. A flirting novio will hurt her image at work. Pop is mad that Lety bought the car with Fernando’s money. Pop won’t listen to Lety’s explanation, so she stops listening to his complaints and goes to her room.

2. Fernando follows Lety home and calls her, but MamaJ says Lety’s not home. Now he’s really mad, and he can’t understand why she’s treating him like this. Jorge Flores (PG – Psychic Guy) tells Fernando that the company consumes him and makes him renounce what is truly important to him. See the transcript. Fernando freaks because Lety’s in the house alone with Tom, and they’re in the bedroom.

3. Lety tells Tom to buy stylish clothes that are appropriate for their car. Lety says she won’t change her style. Fernando did what he did because she’s fea, so he’s going to suffer her ugliness to save his company. She wants him to suffer, and Tom notes that she is becoming bitter. Tom takes the car home.

4. Lety tells her diary that she almost can’t resist falling at Fernando’s feet when he simply looks at her. She suffers for him but he only suffers for his company. She’s incapable of taking it from him, but she’ll convince him she’s going to take it because it’s the only thing that matters in his life. He deserves to feel threatened. She says, “He’ll cry more than I do.”

5. At Marcia’s, Fernando doesn’t want to talk about the wedding and doesn’t want to kiss her. She says she hopes he will forget about “ella” soon because she’s not willing to marry a man who has another woman in his heart (wanna’ bet?). Fern falls asleep on top of the covers, fully dressed, with his arms folded for defense.

6. In Fernando’s nightmare, he finds Lety and Tom kissing in the car. He yells, “Are you in love with him and not me, Lety?” She sneers at him, turns away, and starts kissing Tom. LETY!!!

7. Lety decides to learn to drive today. She takes Tom to the clothing store and he’s distressed that she’s using the car because of his date with Alicia tonight. Alicia arrives at Conceptos in a taxi she can’t pay for, and Lety arrives in her MB.


Capitulo 142.
Read Amanda’s original recap, then come back here to discuss it.

1. Fernando decides to confront Lety about the car, but instead he plays Whack-a-Mole and he’s the mole! Every time he tries to take the upper hand, she clobbers him again, and he’s left swinging in the breeze.
* F: Why didn’t you call? L: You were with Marcia, and I shouldn’t interrupt.
* F: Whose car is it? L: Mine.
* F: You can’t use Conceptos money for that! L: It’s FI money. I bought it for Tom to use.
* Long ago you promised me a car. I got it myself so I didn’t have to bother you.
* F: Not a $90k car! L: Many think I don’t deserve it because I’m ugly and poor.
* F: Why do you treat me as if I’m nothing to you? L: If you distrust me I can return the car. And your company.

2. Celso Chismoso informs Ariel that Alicia’s car was repo’d and Lety is driving her rich novio’s MB.

3. Marcia asks Fernando about Lety’s rich novio, and Fern assures her that he knows the novio and knows his company, and it’s a legitimate business.

4. Fern goes to Omar’s office to throw his tantrum about Lety buying a car with FI money. Worse than the car, he’s worried about her new attitude. He admits he doesn’t know how to manage her. (Boy howdy!)

5. Ariel ridicules Alicia for losing her car. He says she’s even lower than the cuartel. Of Lety he says, “La fea que tiene Fernando como asistente.” (That could be read two ways.)

6. Omar tells Fernando he’s treated Lety badly. He didn’t give her the car he promised, and he pays her a miserable salary. She manages Conceptos’ capital and isn’t paid a dime for it. A $90K car’s extravagant, but it’s only 0.2% of the capital (Omar gets his math wrong and Fern stares). Besides, Fern shouldn’t risk a $40M company over a little $90K. Fernando should give her anything she wants and more.

7. Lety creams Ariel! See the transcript. I am incapable of summarizing it.

8. Fern says that Lety rejected him, was rude to him, went out with Tom, and bought him that car. Omar wonders if she’s involved with Tom. He asks, at some point did Fernando descuidar (to stop paying attention, to let one’s guard down) Lety? Fern insists that he took her out all the time. Omar asks how could a galán like him lose a fea like her to a baboso like Tom.

9. Fernando remembers PG telling him to let go of the company to take hold of real love. Fern says to himself, “No, I won’t give you the pleasure, Ariel!”


Spanish Lesson

I know that today's Spanish lesson is particularly long. The PG scene is important because someone is trying to tell Fernando what he needs to hear. The Ariel scene is spectacular; I couldn't resist posting it.

With Jorge Flores
J: I came to see you. (Fern thinks it’s because of where he’s parked, blocking road.) You carry (traer) something very strong, you (at it) called to me.
F: Amigo, don’t drink. And if you drink, don’t drive.
J: Something happened to you as a child, that defined your path. It was something that confused you, so you decided to wrestle and compete, so you would never fail to win.
F: No, you’re wrong, and I’ll tell you why.
J: I’m not wrong when I see the soul, and yours is trapped.
F: Trapped? No! I’m free in the fresh air.
J: You hocked yourself to maintain control over something, a big building? a business? (Now Fern starts listening; he wants to hear what this guy says.) Your need for control has made you make wrong decisions and you’re confused.
F: (weakly.) No, I’m not confused.
J: Aren’t you here hoping to understand something that worries you a lot? Your worry has to do with a woman near here. But at the same time she’s far because she hides from you. You believe in this woman, but at the same time distrust her. Love that doesn’t trust doesn’t even [?] to those who are close. There is either love or distrust.
F: No, no, I don’t distrust her (in denial).
J: Then why are you here spying on her?
F: You don’t realize it, but Lety has a friend, and I’m afraid he is taking my company from me.
J: That’s because the company consumes you. For the company you renounce what is truly important to you.
F: (To himself.) En realidad me (revasa?). Forgive me, Lety, but I can’t cancel the wedding. I can’t disappoint my parents, neither about the wedding nor about the business.(Aloud.) No. that’s not true. You’re the one who’s confused because it’s the other way around. (Something I can’t understand.) She’s very tender, very sweet, very pretty. (Defensive.) But it’s in conflict with my usual life. My family, my circumstances, my entire future.
J: Are you sure of that. Are you sure the life you’ve built is really, the correct path? I’m here to tell you that this is your main mistake. And this is what has you trapped.
F: (Reject.) You’re rude and I don’t like you a bit. How can a total stranger question how I live my life? To say that you supposedly feel me. That you know my childhood and birth.
J: This “stranger” lives close to here. And I came to this pretty street without intending to. In the place I met the other stranger. There are no coincidences. Today I came to find you, to ask you to look at your soul. To let go of this company so you can love for real. And I’m telling you, we’ll keep seeing each other because you’re going to need me.

Lety creams Ariel.
A: You know what, Licenciada? Today I notice you’re different.
L: Really? That’s odd. This morning my mirror told me I’m the same assistant who is poorly pulled together, ugly, who causes so many problems to the image of Conceptos (Ariel’s words when she tried her new look).
A: That’s indisputable. The mirror doesn’t waiver. But that’s not what I’m talking about. Rather, your attitude. (Probing.) I find it defiant. (Condescending.) Maybe the car parked outside makes you feel more secure about yourself.
L: Puede ser. It’s the same security you feel standing in a $45M company. Maybe that’s why you’ve been so defiant, Licenciado.
A: (More forceful because she’s not backing down to him). Effectively, yes. But that car isn’t yours. And the company IS mine.
L: (Lety smirks.) Claro. Conceptos pertains to the Vilareals & Mendiolas.
A: I’m given to believe that the car is your novio’s?
L: With total respect, what juicy gossip, huh?
A: (Getting angry but controls it.) I suppose you like parking it there because it gets attention. (Tries again to dominate.) Maybe you’re using it to get attention because your appearance doesn’t get you any. But I don’t blame you. Many women do that. But you have a novio who is so established. Who is he? What’s his name?
L: Tomás Mora.
A: I don’t recognize the name. What does he do? Where does he work?
L: He’s an executive in an investment co.
A: And he makes enough to let his novia use such an expensive car?
L: He makes good money.
A: Where’s he work?
L: Why do you ask?
A: I’ll be Frank (and you be Ernest). I worry that your personal relationships could affect MY company. (Boy howdy!!!)
L: Let me see if I understand. You’re worried whether his money is clean or illegal.
A: You understand me very well. That is my worry.
L: To you it’s incredible that a woman like me would have a novio executivo with a good salary with clean capital?
A: Yes.
L: (Chuckle.) I’m too ugly to deserve someone like that? Is that it? IOW if someone ugly or of humble origins drives a car like that, it’s suspicious?
A: Without proof to the contrary? Yes.
L: Licenciado, do you think that only people like you, your social level, family name, earned their money respectably? Do you think you know all the rich of this country? Claro, if you don’t know them, they must be suspicious? You really think that only the social elite can have honorable money? I feel sorry for you, Licenciado, but there are many people producing a lot of clean money. And those people are far from your social level. That car outside is not only for people like you. No. It’s also for people who buy it by hard work. (Burn!)

Labels:


Comments:
Originally Fernando couldn’t lose with Lety in his corner. She was completely honest, completely loyal, and a brilliant tactician. But now Fernando has destroyed her morals and transformed her loyalty into the fury of a woman scorned. The tactical genius that made her an invincible ally now makes her an invincible adversary. You created a monster, Dr. Frankenstein, and now it has turned against you.
 

Most days, I can't think up a title for the write-up. Today I thought of TWO and I couldn't decide which to use. The other was, "Lety Plays Whack-a-Mole."

Lety tells Tom that Fernando did what he did because she’s fea. False! He did what he did because he distrusted Lety and Tom.

Fern tells PG he’s afraid they’ll take his company. IOW he loves Lety but he still doesn’t believe in her.

PG tried to counsel Fern, he doesn’t listen. JF leaves, Fern calls Omar the Imbicle for advice instead!
 

Paula, now I see the meaning of the car and patron-client relations. Thanks for the great insight and heads up. I like mean Ley she is evolving and I hope she will balance her meanness with her old nice self. Though I feel sorry for Fernando he is actually fun to watch all confused and bewildered. Great physical actor.
BUT WHY NO MORE HEAD SHOTS!! I got used to them with recaps.
Happy Holidays all!
Jenn
 

Interesting that Omar chastises Fern for the way he treats Lety and also how Tomas warns her that a bitter woman isn't very attractive. Naturally Fern and Lety ignore the for once wise counsel from their BFF's.

Lety is only fooling herself saying she can't take the Company when she is clearly planing to do exactly that.

Ariel is certainly an arrogant snot. So even though i don't care much for New Lety I love how she told him that people like her get cars like hers with money they earn by working which pretty much tells him what she thinks of privileged rich boys.

I know men aren't usually caught up in the wedding planning but has there ever been a prospective groom less involved than Fern? He doesn't even care who Marcia invites.
 

I have some new songs that represent this phase of the story. I've translated into English where necessary.

Cuidado, sung by José José. Snip:
Careful. I'm not so blind
that I’ll let you continue this game.
Careful. When you have to leave me aside,
Remember that the world will keep turning
and one day you’ll end up crying.
Be careful because your life is linked to mine.
Because I will be in your thoughts.

Como Se Cura una Herida, sung by Jacy Velasquez
how sad it is to awake
and face reality, realize it was a lie
what you felt, that it is the end
how sad to see that wall come down
the wall that protected me before and did not let me
see what you were doing [to me]

You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling, sung by The Righteous Brothers.
You never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your lips
And there's no tenderness like before in your fingertips ....
Baby, baby, I'd get down on my knees for you
If you would only love me like you used to do,
We had a love, a love, a love you don't find everyday
So don't, don't, don't, don't let it slip away ....
Bring back that lovin' feeling
'Cause it's gone, gone, gone.

Jenn, I wrote more details about patrons and clients in the comments for Cap 1. And more details about cars as a symbol in LFMB are in the Comments of Cap 46.

Regarding the screenshots, I get a headstart on writing these summaries over the weekend. That's why you'll see screenshots often in the first part of the week. By Thursday and Friday, it's all I can do to get a summary posted. I send screenshot requests to Pata who captures them for me (doesn't she do great work?), and she needs time on her end. I don't have that kind of lead time by the end of the week.
 

Omar continues to surprise me with his sharp observations about Lety (in between calling her "gargolita" and snorting like a pig over some model).

I don't remember the conversation with Ariel. I'm looking forward to seeing that tonight!
 

PS - Alma and Amanda were two different recappers.
 

Just finished watching these two. I forgot how mad I get at Thomas sometimes. Especially when he was throwing that awful tantrum at the clothing store.

Loved the Ariel Lety confrontation. I hadn't really paid much attention befor but found it really interesting that before Ariel left he actually shook Lety's hand.

Thanks Paul. Great spanish lessons today. And thanks to k-Fuego and Amanda for the orginals.
 

Julie

Omar may act the fool but he is actually very astute. I know that it is not uncommon in Spanish speaking countries to give people nicknames we would consider insulting i.e. Gordo or Flaquito so Omar tagging Lety as gargolita is true to form. In his defense I think he actually likes her and doesn't see it as insulting while Fern thinks otherwise. On the other hand it may be a plot device to send a message to the viewers that Fern has feelings for the woman.

Lety is hell bent on revenge by taking away the company that is so important to Fern and yet she doesn't understand why it is important. The company was built from the ground up by the Mendireal parents and is their lives work. If Fern simply turned his back on it and rode off into the sunset with her he would be betraying everything he has been raised to respect. How could she have any respect for him if he did so? Fern's big mistake is clinging to the marriage to Marcia to keep the presidency. Interestingly enough only Fern and Marcia seem to care about the company while Ariel and the twit sister are mainly interested in the money it provides for them.

Oh well three days without LFMB sigh!

Have a wonderful Christmas all!
 

Oh no, no episode today?? Poo, I was especially looking forward to today's episodes!

Ah well. It's not as if I don't have better things to look forward today!

Happy Christmas, everyone!
 

Well, consider this day off from Fea the calm before the storm. Thursday was calm compared to what's coming. Y'know how, in a typical novela, you have very intense caps during the last week or so? Well fasten your seat belts; we're in for that kind of intensity for the next three weeks solid! Consider it a sleigh ride, but the Nantucket kind!!

Christmas blessings to all!
 

Merry Christmas!!!Feliz navidad!
Happy Holidays everone!!!!!!!!!!
 

Paula, You say Thursday's cap was calm compared to whats ahead the next 3 weeks!! Wow I thought Thursday's cap was SO much fun. Didn't have to FF much at all. Fern is hysterical when he is mad (I laughed aloud quite a few times and that hasn't happened for a long time). Lety is growing as a more confident person, ie. her and Ariel's exchange.
Looking forward to these next caps, hope they are all you promise!!!
Diann
 

Diann, you're putting the pressure on me! (jiji!) Both about the upcoming 3 weeks and about the complete series on DVD. But do me a favor, eh? Let me know, the first time you pull an all-nighter with the DVD's! BTDT.
 

Hi all and a belated Merry Christmas. Paula, there you go with another perfect title. I'm glad you selected it over Whack-a-Mole because it is so much more complex. I wonder if, like in the novel, Fernandostein's monster will separate him from the things he holds dearest. Since I haven't seen this TN yet I will have to wait and see and hope I remember this question.

I loved Lety's smackdown of Ariel, it was Letitia Padilla Solis at her finest and extremely satisfying for the viewer.

Paula, I like your song selections, they are all absolutely appropriate.

Thanks to all you recappers for putting your time and talented effort into these recaps. This episode sure had the feel of storm clouds brewing. I can't wait until next week's episodes!
 

Sylvia, you ponder whether the Frankenstein's monster will separate him from the things he holds dearest. I haven't read the book, only the summary. Didn't the monster accomplish that feat by destroying the things held dearest? If the parallel requires that, I can't picture Lety destroying those people and things. BUT if the model can include the monster pulling Fernandostein from those things, or pulling those things from Fernandostein.. puede ser, puede ser.

So we add another to the list.
La Fea as Jane Eyre, La Fea as Pride and Prejudice, and La Fea as Frankenstein. Whereas most novelas have the complexity of Dora the Explorer.

I agree, Lety was at her finest when she creamed Ariel. Notice there was none of the bitterness or cruelty that is starting to poison her. Only the confidence because she knows she's right, and standing up for herself with tremendous dignity. Marcia could learn a thing or two from her, about class, dignity, and self respect.

I have some more plot-related songs lined up in the Fea jukebox for uds queridas, including hits from Cher, Hank Williams, and The Association.
 

Paula in a way La Fea is like Frankenstein because one character does destroy everything held dear and one loses everything. It is a nice analogy. Yep New lety was at her best against Ariel but i fear that is the last time she manages to avoid the poison. As for marcia she learns to control herself a bit and for all her faults she is still like the little girl who felt she had to protect Fern.

I'm wondering if in the next weeks we see, how can i put this sans spoiler? Fern make another bad error of judgement also involving paper?
 

To answer Paula's questions, yes the monster separated Dr. Frank from the things he held dearest by systematically destroying them. An exact analogy doesn't quite fit, but maybe in a general sense, that one cannot control the "monster" that one creates and ends up suffering for it, well maybe in that sense we could see some similarities. Time will tell for me as I do not know what the future holds and this TN seems to follow its own path rather than the usual TN cliches. It does seem to track with some of the classic morality tales that's for sure, but with some more modern twists which is totally appropriate.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder