Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Teresa Tue 4/5/11 #5 Oh, sure, Teresa'll be there -- late...maybe

This recap is brought to us by the AMAZING FRANCES! Welcome and a huge thanks to her for volunteering to fill as needed until we get a solid recap schedule.


We open with Teresa & Mariano sharing a kiss. She assure him she’s never stopped loving him. He tells her she’s in his every waking moment. When she complains that he gave Aurora his business card, he assures her she should never be jealous of anyone. “I only have eyes for you.” Juana witnesses this and returns to the fiesta and announces that Teresa and Mariano are novios again. Everyone is overjoyed (and I do mean over-overjoyed) and applauds as Teresa & Mariano come back in.

Armando and Teresa have a daddy/daughter heart to heart -- don't trust anyone. Armando to Teresa, “If you ever feel uncomfortable, don't feel obligated to licenciado de la Barrera.” Armando swears he would sell his soul to the devil if need be in order to help her. Teresa thanks dad for his kind words and promises she will work hard to make him proud. Now that he doesn't have to pay for her education, now he can put some money towards Rosa's quinceanera.

Nachita comes by and asks Mariano to review Pablito's chart. Mariano notes that the Dr has the same surname as the doctor who cared for his mother: Ledesma Macias -- could they be brothers? Nachita shares that he is a co-worker of Esperanza. Mariano agrees the tests need to be completed and he and his father offer her money to cover the costs.

Rosa tries to rush past Refugio so she won't have to go to the doctor but Refugio's too smart and too quick and catches her in time to get going to the doctor. Later, the nurse at the medical center tells Rosa and Refugio that the results from the tests won't be available until Monday. Rosa is ecstatic, thinking now she can compete in the meet.

Teresa tells Juana that when she saw how Mariano is attractive to other women, she realized why
she fell in love with him in the first place. Mariano comes by at that moment with a single rose and gives her a keychain with two hearts so she can remember that his heart is always close to hers. awwww smoochies.

Esperanza meets Ruben at the park. She gives him the receipt for the Doctor's bill and gives him his change. He tells her not to bother and starts to give her more money to pay for upcoming medical tests. She’s embarrassed to take more money from him and lets it slip that Mariano offered to help them. Ruben gets really upset and jealous and reminds her that she belongs to him and that she doesn't need help from any other man. Clear? Crazy clear.

At the university campus, Teresa tells Aurora that Arturo de la Barrera is helping her but she doesn't want it get out to avoid idle gossip. Aida and Paulo walk by and she says, "let me guess, Aurora hired you as a companion so that you can be everywhere you don't belong" Teresa replies "no, no, no, in the role of paid companions, you’re the expert -- only if and when Paulo needs you." Teresa then breaks the news that she's there to enroll for classes. Aida asks if Aurora is paying her way since they don't offer scholarships at this university. Paulo chimes in that not in her wildest dreams could she ever have enough money to enroll in that school. Teresa replies: “No one believed I could be at the same prep school as you, yet I was, now you're saying I couldn't possibly be in this university, yet I am. You also don't believe I will get my revenge, but I will.”

Aurora and Teresa continue their discussion and Teresa explains her agreement with Arturo to completely immerse herself in her studies, work hard and give up all extracurricular activities, including novios. Speaking of novios, Aida asks again if Teresa is really not interested in Mariano. Teresa assures her she is not. Aida is really happy because all she does is think of him and even thought about calling for a taxi ride that morning but lost her nerve. Not sure what Teresa's game is.

Meanwhile Rosa pleads with her parents to let her compete in the gym meet even though they don't have the results from her physical exam. They give in, of course.

Teresa runs into Arturo's sister Luisa at the university and apologizes for Mariano's behavior the other night. She offers friendship. Luisa's nice and says they can be civil and politely says Teresa's business is with Arturo and she's not much for having friends and walks away, leaving Teresa looking like ."QTH"?

More apologies: Rosa pleads Johnny for forgiveness for her behavior towards him last night.
He tells her he just wants the best for her. Rosa convinces him to come to the meet. All is forgiven -- besitos

Teresa/Mariano sharing tacos and sodas. He surprises her by telling her he's enrolled again in medical school. He is inspired by Teresa's ambition. She tells him she's so happy for him and also that she loves him and doesn't want to be without him. Besitos.

Aida and Paulo -- Aida wants them to be novios. Paolo reminds her she knew the way things were and how he felt about her. He wants things to remain "free" between them. Aida comments on how Teresa keeps talking about revenge. Paolo’s convinced it’s all talk.

Teresa and Mariano -- Teresa says she admires a man who is always seeking to better himself and his station in life. Mariano has always admired her motivation to improve herself but is dismayed at the way she disparages their way of life. Teresa laments she doesn’t understand why she was born into poverty, so much sacrifice and problems. Mariano points out that everyone has problems, the challenge is to overcome those problems. Teresa states they will overcome those problems and achieve everything they’ve ever dreamed of. Mariano agrees but says their goal shouldn't be to leave the vecindad, but to stay and return the support they've always received. He points out that his dad has been killing himself to support him and has even now taking on more routes to help him go back to school. Teresa says, yeah, yeah, and he's very happy - cuz that's what parents do -- they enjoy sacrificing themselves for their children. And we may as well begin preparing ourselves to do the same for our children.

Esperanza convinces mom to take Pablito to another medical center for his tests so they don't have to be indebted to Mariano. She doesn't want to borrow more money from Mariano and tells her she will be taking on additional work to pay for Pablito's medical bills. Mom agrees and tells Esperanza she is so grateful to have such a wonderful daughter. Esperanza says, well, maybe not too wonderful (if she only knew).

Mom tells Aida to play a little more hard-to-get with Paolo. She shouldn't be so willing to give him anything he asks for. Aida: “Mom, times are different.” Mom: “Even in marriage is hard work and see how dad adores me? (hehe)

Mariano and Teresa spend the day at a fair in Chapultepec where he first declared his love for her.

Luisa talks to Arturo about Teresa. Something about her doesn't feel right and she wants him to keep her at a distance. Arturo says he will continue to have her at the house and in fact wants Luisa to invite her to the release of his book.

Teresa visits Arturo and he offers her a list of books she should read before she begins her studies. He also invites her to the cocktail party celebrating the release of his book. The who's who of the legal world will be there and he feels it is muy importante that she be there. Party is tomorrow at 4pm -- same time as Rosa's meet -- uh-oh!

Esperanza gives Mariano back his money, claiming that the medical center agreed to do the work for free (and the lies keep piling up) She's worried about Pablito. Mariano tells her she can count on him for anything she needs.

Mariano and Teresa are discussing the conflict of the cocktail party the Rosa’s meet. Teresa is sure she can make it to the meet in time to cheer her on -- maybe a little late, but she'll be there.

The following day, she breaks the news to Rosa. Teresa compares her hard work with that of Rosa's hard work and dreams and that's why she has to go to the cocktail party. Promises she'll make it to the meet. Gives her a pep talk to always keep her eye on the prize and do what is necessary to achieve your dreams.

Teresa arrives at Arturo's in time to help Luisa with the cocktail party preparations. Later, she comes face to face with Ruben -- hmmm where have I seen you before?

At the meet -- everyone is worried that Teresa hasn't arrived. Back at the party, Arturo begins to sign a book to Teresa. She stops him by putting her hand over his and says very provocatively: “Hold on, let me read it first, then we can review it together.” wow, she's good.

FRANCES

Labels:


Comments:
Good evening. :-) Here are the You Tube links for Episode 5:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Caray still needs recappers for this telenovela; if you're interested, email Melinama at caray@mappamundi.com
 

I thought Frances was supposed to recap tonight? I hope so? :D
 

I will post tonight! Wish me luck!
 

Paquitadelbarrio (Frances?), that's great! The only recapper I've heard about was Samantha on Wednesday. Are you taking the Tuesday slot? Or just tonight...
 

I'm sharing a day with someone else. I don't know what day yet. I'll start after Eva Luna ends. . .
 

Ok, right; I'm looking at the email Melinama sent and trying to get that together...

So until a schedule comes together, I'd like to go on posting the comment thread in the evenings with the You Tube links.

And then when people want to start recapping, I can always just remove the post when their posts appear.

Just not clear on what's happening yet and don't want to leave posters in the lurch.

I see from the email that Kat wants to start after TDA on Wednesdays, which is the day Samantha had slotted.
 

Oh, no, duh; it says Kat is on Wednesdays now on TDA. Never mind. Gawd this is making my brain bleed. :D
 

Frances here-I'll take Tuesdays and can also fill in wherever you need until you get all slots filled . My schedule's wide open right now. Just let me know.
 

Frances, wow, as far as I know, the only night taken is Samantha on Wednesday.

You would like to take all the other nights until other recappers come in? That would be amazing!

So, do you post your own recaps -- or would you like help on that, posting to the side bar and such...?
 

I think I can take it on right now. Not sure what you mean by help on the sidebars. I'm such a newbie. I'm sure I'll need the help but don't know what that looks like. Appreciate the offer. Please explain.
 

Francis, I am agog! :-0 Thank you so much! People will love it.

Well, the side bar refers to Delicious Bookmarks. But I should back up -- did Melinama give you any posting instructions?

Vivi graciously offered to send Samantha the instructions (I have no idea where mine are at the moment); so maybe she will send them to you, if you don't have them.

If you don't, you can just send me your recaps in email until you get the posting instructions, if you want. I'm at jeri@tormenta.com

And I'll edit them into the discussion so it shows on the front page...
 

Frances- You are a gem! Thank you for offering to recap for all of the current uncovered days. I can't wait to read your first recap. Click on my name and you will find my e-mail address. I will send you the instructions for posting and tagging to the sidebar.
 

This is what I know about our recapper situation. A big thank you to Frances, as she sets out to not only recap for the first time, but to also take on all the uncovered days until someone else takes them on!

Teresa Recap Schedule (to date): Monday- Frances (temporary) ; Tuesday- Frances; Wednesday- Samantha; Thursday- Frances (temporary); Friday- Frances (temporary)

Keri- is willing to take a slot after Eva Luna ends
Gloria- is tepidly willing to split a slot with Elvira
Elvira- ?
Kat- is willing to come over to Teresa when Triunfo del Amor ends
Vivi- is willing to be a sub recapper, as needed
Jeri- is willing to post discussion headers, as needed
Sandi in TN- is willing to be a sub recapper, as needed
Aribeth (aka Marta)- willing to sub, occasionally
 

Good morning! Recap is up and many thanks to Frances!!

Vivi, thank you for wading into that and for offering to send her the posting instructions.
 

Awesome recap Frances! Got to get to work, so more later.
 

Ok, to the show; personally, I think it's fine that Teresa attends to her own business at the reception, instead of ditching the important networking even to see her sister's thing.

After all, as Teresa pointed out, Rosita is attending to HER ambitions, isn't she? So why not take care of business for the same reason. I don't see a problem with it.
 

even > event
 

Thanks for the great recap. The recaps are great for Spanish language beginners like me. I can pretty much get the "gist" of what is happening while watching the show, but I miss a lot of the finer details-and the recappers do a great job with those.
I was hooked on Hasta Que el Dinero last year, and that show seemed to drag on and on.....some things took forever to unfold. But this show moves so fast! So much happens in one hour, kind of hard to keep up.
 

Frances, thanks for a sparkling recap. I got the same vibe as you did with Ruben "Clear? Crazy clear." I think that crazy behavior will surface again in an uglier version.  Thanks Frances!

Jeri, I completely agree with you on Teresa, her presence at her mentor/ benefactor's cocktail party is important, just as the meet is to Rosa. 

Well, not sure yet, but it seems that those who felt that Teresa, didn't want Mariano, but didn't want anyone else to have him either were right, her reconciliation seems like  a maneuver at keeping him from Aurora.

I want to live in the vecindad, my neighbors and I never get together and dance! 

Welcome Rip, yes novela is zipping along!
 

Actually, I'm still maintaining that Teresa keeps Mariano as her secret emotional hole card, like Scarlet did Ashley.

She wants there to be something nice to turn to in the background when she is busy working so hard.

When Aurora was gushing to Teresa about Mariano, it would have been the perfect time to point out Teresa and Mariano had gotten back together, but she did not. Teresa just changed the subject.

Emotionally, Teresa is so focused on the future that she doesn't see she's really attracted to Arturo, IMO.

I don't think she would ordinarily jeopardize her prospects by tying them to a romantic relationship with a mentor; but she doesn't realize what she's doing behind her own back with Arturo.
 

Great Job Frances! You are a pro.

I had to laugh at the over-overenjoyed remark. I didn't live in a Vecindad but gosh my neighbors were the same in Veracruz. Sometimes it's annoying and sometimes it's conforting (like when I buried my doggie and many of them where there, that was nice). I'm living in a boarding house for students right now so the "everybody is involved in everyone's business" has only increased heh.

Sandy I do think Teresa wants to be with Mariano but she doesn't want Aurora to find out because she already told her all those things about him last episode and she doesn't want to sound like a hypocrite in her eyes.

I was also okay with Teresa going to the reception. She's done nothing wrong so far.

Jarocha
 

I'm willing to wait to see how the Mariano/Teresa relationship plays out. Jeri, keeping M as a secret hole card, may be a big part of her motivation. She did say that she was effected by how others saw M so keeping him from others may be a part of it too. Either way it is unfair to Mariano!

Ashley was a secret love for Scarlett because he was married to Melanie. She couldn't openly declare her feelings for him, although like the vecindad, everyone probably knew it.
 

Teresa going to her mentor's party was the right thing to do. She has her eyes on the prize, no question of that.

Which includes getting out of the neighborhood as soon as possible. That is not going to endear her to Mariano when he sees what she's really about.

Does anyone else think that her parents are ambivalent about her prospects for success?
 

The way I remember Scarlet and Ashley, she felt like he was the only one who truly loved her -- and that he didn't really love Melanie.

But the scales fell from Scarlet's eyes when Ashley was completely destroyed by Melanie's death -- and he could have turned to Scarlet, but did not.
 

I haven't read the book so I might be way off but I never got the impression from the movie that Ashley really loved Scarlet. Here, Mariano loves Teresa, no doubts about it.

I hate Ashley so that clouds my opinion on him but I never thought he deserved Melanie or Scarlet. Mariano deserves a nice girl but he has to resolve his own issues too (and go back to med school).

Jarocha
 

Oh, no, the comparison only goes so far. Didn't mean to imply that. I'm saying Teresa is just holding Mariano as an emotional hole card the way Scarlet did Ashley in times of trouble.
 

Thanks for the excellent recap, Frances.

That Ruben is really a bum. He wants to control Esperanza to the point where he doesn't want her to work, and he doesn't want her to accept money from a (male) neighbor. But did you see the look he gave Teresa? He kept saying you're so pretty. He seems to be lining up his next (in his mind) conquest. And his wife Mayra (Aida's Mom), telling her daughter how lucky she was that Dad loved her, uh oh! She's in for a rude awakening.

Although I understand WHY Teresa didn't tell Aurora that she and Mariano were novios again, I'm not happy about it.
 

Frances: Welcome to the recapping world! You did a terrific job and I think you're terrific for taking the overload right now! You caught details I missed in the conversation and I really appreciated that.

I felt Teresa didn't want to tell Aurora she'd gotten back together with Mariano to avoid making her friend feel badly. Perhaps she should have been honest about it, but at this point I don't totally fault her for keeping mum. If it's for totally dog in a manger type reasons, well, we'll find out as we go along, I suppose.
 

Hombre, I'm unclear about Teresa's reasons for her lie by omission to Teresa, what is the reason you have in mind?

I think I need to rewatch GWTW! I always felt that Scarlett loved mealy mouthed Ashley, and the scales fell from her eyes when Melanie died from her PREGNANCY with Ashley and his reaction to her death. Jarocha, Trevor Howard, Ashley, was a brave RAF pilot who died in action in WWII!

Urban A, interesting observation on Teresa's parents. Sometimes people who live hard scrabble lives can't think beyond each day and imagine anything else but what is the existence they know, I don't think they "get" Terrsa!
 

Sandy, that's what I said -- Scarlet realized Ashley didn't love Scarlet when he was so broken up about Melanie's death. Am I missing something...

I said Scarlet THOUGHT Ashley loved her, not that he did love her. And that the only comparison I'm making is that she used her notion that he loved her to sustain her. Which may not even happen to Teresa. It's just musing.

So never mind, tomorrow is another day... or rather this is another show, LOL
 

Frances: I'm out at a class so am using their internet to take a few minutes to read your recap. Amazing! What a stellar debut. Another natural born recapper.

I so appreciate your translating the bits and pieces of crucial conversation. I can tell you have a fiesty sense of humor "Everyone is overjoyed (and I do mean over-overjoyed)" which is wonderful.

I will comment on the story more tomorrow when I get back to the office but again, thank you - welcome aboard!

Diana
 

I have a little different take on Teresa's cocktail party attendance. It seems (though I'm not sure) that Rosita's competition is a more important one than others. Teresa had told her she would be there. I'm pretty sure Arturo offered Teresa "an out" when he invited her by saying she did not need to come, but there would be a lot of important people there if she did. I would have felt better about Teresa's choice to attend if Arturo had really pressured her to go and if she hadn't made promises to Rosita ("I'll be there in time, just a little late") that she couldn't keep.

As to Theresa's motivations on her hiding her romance from Aurora--just not sure yet. Suffice it to say though, she is not being a very good friend to Aurora.

Rip, hang in there---I'm sure we'll reach a point where this telenovela will drag and drag as well.

PdelB, Frances--That was a fantastic recap. I too loved the "Crazy clear" comment.
 

Sandy, several commenters before me gave reasons why Teresa didn't tell Aurora that Teresa was back with Mariano. There was 1) to not hurt her feelings 2) doesn't want to sound like a hypocrite after just having dissed Mariano's roots 3) keeping Mariano as an ace in the hole, etc.

I was just saying that while I understood those reasons, I still didn't like what Teresa is doing, deceiving her best friend, letting Aurora continue to think that Mariano and Aurora will be novios. I think this is mean of Teresa.
 

BTW, I think Ashley thought he loved Scarlett but really he was just in lust with her. I think he realized after Melanie's death how much Melanie really meant to him (jerk) and that his main attraction to Scarlett was her hawtness.
 

Frances, thank you for providing the recap and a good one I might add and also thank you Jeri for the YouTube links. I wonder if Mariano is only enrolling into medical school to impress Teresa. He showed do it because he wants to. I'm definitely seeing shades of Ashley and Scarlet with Teresa and Mariano.

I kept waiting for the scenes with Arturo and Teresa because I knew they wouldn't disappoint. When Teresa placed her hand over his and he gave her that smoldering stare, I was fanning my face LOL. Those two project heat whenever they are in the same vicinity. I can't get enough of them.

There's definitely foreshadowing with Teresa being late for Rosa's meet. I hope she makes it. Maybe if she told Arturo he would understand and let her go to give her sister morale support.
 

Sorry Jeri, I interpreted your comment to mean that Scarlett was holding Ashley in some type of second tier place in her heart!  I was agreeing with you on the scales part and adding the pregnancy. I'm not being clear today! Enough on GWTW, there is plenty of material in Teresa to discuss except that the actor playing Ashley was Leslie Howard, not Trevor Howard and he did die in WWII, not a mealy mouth. 

Well we have several options to think about with Teresa's failure to admit her rekindled relationship with M.
 

Ho, ho -- me, too Pirate Babe! regarding the slight touch on the sleeve. woo woo woo!

Also, I should say that I also totally believed Teresa when she said those tacos she and Mariano were eating were delicious. That looked like a good taco shop.

I think missing the competition is nominally ok; especially in light of the fact that Teresa is probably going to do much worse, he he...

I tend to believe the lyrics of the theme song, which kicks butt, btw.
 

Lyric of the song “Esa hembra es mala” of Gloria Trevi

Voy a Presentarte a Esa,
La que se duerme en tu cama,
La que es toda una dama,
La que no te pide nada,
Pero le gusta lo mejor.

Voy a Presentarte a Esa,
La que dice que te ama,
La que nunca dice no,
La que daría hasta su vida,
Con tal de hacerte Feliz.

Esa Mujer fue mi amiga,
Maldito sea el día,
Robó lo que más quería,
Y todo por ambición,
Yo sé que ella estan bonita,
Que hasta parece bendita,
Pero es un ángel caído,
Ella es una maldición.

Esa hembra es mala,
Esa hembra hace daño,
Esa hembra no quiere,
Esa Hembra te miente,
Esa hembra es mala,
Trae veneno en los labios,
Su caricia es insulto,
Para tú corazon.
letra

Esa Hembra que ama,
Está jugando contigo,
Esa hembra perfecta,
Es puritita traición.
 

Ran it through Google translate, so use your imagination:

Lyric of the song "That female is bad" of Gloria Trevi

I'll introduce you to That,
The one that sleeps in your bed
Which is a lady,
Which does not ask anything
But he likes the best.

I'll introduce you to That,
The one that says she loves you,
The one who never says no,
That would give up her life
As long as you happy.

That woman was my friend,
Cursed be the day
Stole what she loved most,
And all for ambition
I know that she is pretty,
You even seem blessed
But it is a fallen angel
She is a curse.

That female is bad,
That female will hurt you,
This female does not care
That female will lie,
That female is bad,
Bring poison on her lips,
Her touch is insult
For your heart.

That female who loves You
is playing with you
The perfect female,
Is purest treachery.
 

I normally don't like Gloria Trevi, but this song rocks, as did the title song of last season's Mujeres Asesinas.

Now, considering how ambitious Teresa is, let's see if she uses contraception.
 

Frances, thank you so much for this recap, you are one very talented lady and very giving of your time.

The comments have been wonderful.

Jeri, thanks for taking the time to post the lyrics to the theme song in Spanish with the English translations.

Rosemary
 

Great recap, much appreciated!

Does anyone know what chula means? They seem to use it quite often to describe a person. Once again google translate fails me!
 

Richard, chula means goodlooking, pretty or hot, for a woman.

One good place to find definitions online is wordreference.com.
 

Samantha, looking forward to your recap of tonight's show!

If you are getting hung up with the posting details, you can reach me at jeri@tormenta.com.

I can post for you if you have difficulty getting started; definitely been known to happen. :-)
 

Samantha: Welcome to the family! This will be a fun one to grab onto!

==============
Jeri/Vivi/Aribeth: Just an FYI.

I see that Melinama has put me in on Mondays, but I won't be starting till the Monday after next --Eva Luna's fin is next Monday.
 

Jardinera- Yay! So glad you're taking Mondays. We can manage till you finish with Eva Luna.

Now that I finally have a moment free, I want to thank you Frances for the recap.

I totally agree that the theme song rocks. It's a good opening sequence too. I look forward to it every time.

I also agree that the choice Teresa made to go to the book launch was not a bad one. And she explained it to Rosita and didn't lie about it. She has been honest to everyone, except to Aurora about Mariano.

You know, Teresa would make a great life coach (which says nothing about how she manages her own life). She gives great advice to other people: Rosita, follow your dreams and fight for them; Mariano, go back to med school; Esperanza, get a job to support yourself and don't be kept by a man; Aurora, major in what you want and tell your father. All good advice.

Urban: "Now, considering how ambitious Teresa is, let's see if she uses contraception."

I would be very surprised if Teresa lets herself get pregnant. She’s too focused on her goals. For as sexy as she is, she might actually still be a virgin. She and Mariano don't seem to go beyond kissing and making out. And we know she never had sex with Paulo in their two years together. At Arturo's book launch, she turned down the alcohol that was being served. I think we may have a heroine who is a tee totaling virgin (so far), but not a "good girl." Interesting.
 

Jardinera, I noticed that, too; and thank you for speaking up (I was going to ask about it) -- and especially for joining up. :D

Vivi, I knew a young woman in college who was like that. She was driven (pre-med) and pre-occupied, and sex was not on the agenda. She said she couldn't handle it and didn't want it.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder