Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Una Familia Con Suerte #25 Tue 11/8/11 Elena gives Freddy certain signals.

Ana is jealous and tells Pancho she thinks Lupita is his favorite. He says he loves Lupita because she's like he is - they're so similar they understand each other. but he loves Ana because she's like her mom! Glad they got that cleared up.

Monica tells Kari (who's pretending it wasn't she who spilled to Pepe) that she's going crazy - she was really drawn to Pepe when he talked about losing his mother just as she lost hers. Kari says "You don't love Freddy, you're just used to him. It's an arranged marriage."

Elena computer-chats with Freddy - she knows his name and lots of other things about him too. They meet at a bar that night - Elena, flirting obnoxiously, sucks down a huge drink and whistles for more. Freddy is embarrassed. He tells her he is completely single. She takes pictures of him, which makes him nervous. He drives Elena home and gives her a preliminary kiss, but she escapes. "What am I doing in this sketchy barrio? I'll get kidnapped!" he thought bubbles.

Chela's dressed nicely for her big date. She is hyperventilating and hoping all her hopes will be realized and Pancho will profess his love. He sends a company car for her! She sits at the restaurant and imagines Pancho's grand entrance ... but instead it's his bald friend Chacho who shows up, wearing a teal suit. It doesn't go well; she isn't laughing at his bad jokes. He gives up and says he'll see her home. He's sad, she feels guilty.

Sitting over work with Rebe, Pancho is worried about Temo, he's kind of alone since Chelo is not home. Rebeca suggests they go work at his house - she likes the grateful kiss he plants on her.

Pina has the installation Candy recommended (a dance pole) and a new outfit, but she's afraid since her last try was a disaster. Candy meaows to boost Pina's spirits, wishes her good luck and leaves. Pina practices Candy's moves. Candy thinks: "Her hubby is a disaster, but so sexy!"

Pancho reassures Rebe: he's a better negotiator than the Arabs, he's been bargaining all his life. Rebe wants to turn down the delicious meal Pancho offers. Temo appears, newly wakened from a sad nightmare, crying for his mom. Chela's home! She interrupts Pancho's cooking. Thanks for ditching me! Who are you cooking your famous sausage sandwiches for? She yells at Rebeca, who's sitting and stroking Tema's head. She possessively tears Temo out of Rebeca's lap and takes him to bed. Giant temper tantrum from Chela, Rebe leaves.

Pina astonishes Vince, she's dressed like the Village People in a black policeman's outfit. She tries a pole dance but hasn't had enough lessons and ends up on the floor. She must have hurt her back because she moans all night and next day Vince is exhausted and furious when the sun rises! She says, "At least I'm trying to revive our dead love! Otherwise we'll end in divorce." He says she can't live without him and leaves.

Chacho reports to Pancho: "I told her my best jokes, and nothing! She's in love with you! Stop lying to yourself, you know it's true."

Next day Freddy calls Elena. "You gave me certain signals!" he chides. He doesn't want Lupita to know of their secret love (ie the photo Elena took), Of coures, first Ana shows up and sees Freddy's picture on the computer. ("Elena, you know him?" "Yes, but it's a secret.... it would be easy for me to fall in love with him.") Then Lupe herself shows up, to invite Elena to the Arab party. She, too, sees the picture. She warns Elena that Freddy has a girlfriend. Later Freddy tells Alex: "I thought she was going to put out - but no! She'll be a trophy for my collection - she can have me in bed and that's all."

It's the day of the Arabs' arrival and Pancho's not to be found. Rebe is losing it. Chacho won't tell her the master plan. As it happens, Pancho's where he's supposed to be, at the airport, welcoming the Arabs - in English! He's brought his van instead of a limo and gives them a long funny tour of the city, charming them all the while.

Vince and his posse are waiting outside Avon for the visitors. Millions of dollars are at stake! Enzo says if the greengrocer ruins the negotiation, so much the better. They're told: Pancho left orders for you all to get in the limos and go - to an undisclosed location.

Pancho has brought his new friends (clapping and singing) to the casa popular! The limo arrives too, Rebe is hissing and yelling. Pancho says, relax, everything's under control, and it's time to eat. The Arabs are in a very good mood. Enzo says he hopes this is the last time he'll ever be here. Pancho says, life takes mysterious turns.

There's a tent set up in the courtyard for a feast. Tomorrow: Candy does a belly dance.

Labels:


Comments:
Freddy was worried he'd be kidnapped? That's funny - I was worried Elena would wake up in a ditch when he was finished with her. I loved how shocked he was when she got out of his car!
 

Freddy is a big jerk. His photo is the stupidest screen saver ever. ITA with Julie that his shock when Elena got out of the car was priceless. Doofus, meet the tease. Those two just might deserve each other.

I want Pancho Lopez to be my tour guide if I ever make it to Mexico City. What a fun day.

Tomorrow should be an action-packed episode. I can't wait to see what happens.

Thanks Melinama! I appreciate your taking the time to recap. I think you summed up Rebecca's personality in one sentence: "Rebe is hissing and yelling."
 

Wow. Sounds like this was an eventful episode. Missed it but sure enjoyed the recap. Thanks Melinama.
 

Thanks so much Melinama. This was great.

Julie- I too was worried that drunk Elena would get more than she could handle with leacherous Freddy. Silly girl. Once again she insults her supposed BFF by acussing her of being an evil jealous b!tch, when Lupita was just trying to warn her about Freddy having a girlfriend and being a jerk. Elena deserves him. Lupita needs to find a new BFF.

I love how just last episode Rebeca was telling Pancho how his family was just bringing him down, and this episode they are his secret weapon who will probably help them all get that multi-million dollar Arab contract. The amount of work Chela and the gang must have put into that Arabian Nights set up must have been astounding, and Pancho gave Chela a loving look of appreciation. They may be having their troubles right now, but Chela is his best friend and always has his back. Take THAT Rebe!

I kept expecting Rebe to tell Pancho to make sure pork wasn't on the Arab dinner menu when he was making his famous sausage sandwich, but she didn't. So that's the only thing that I worry will go wrong at the dinner. I am sure Candy's belly dance will be a hit with them. :)
 

Melinama, thank you for the recap. Yes, please sign me up for Pancho's next turn of Mexico City. I did laugh at the one Arab that was handing out money at the airport, funny but true. The two women in the group did surprise me.


Pancho is a lot smarter than Vince, et al, is giving him credit for. They really looked like his minions last night.

Rosemary
 

Thanks so much for the great recaps, I so appreciate being able to keep up with the story. I'm on vacation in Puebla, Mexico and here "Familia" is in it's final capitulos! Of course I can't help watching but it's not spoiling the fun of seeing the whole story unfold.
Barbara
 

Melinama...great and most timely recap. Thanks so much. This is the first novela I've watched in months and months. Definitely needed some thing to "lighten up" my life and this one is filling the bill. The other ones were getting so gruesomely morbid, I had to take a break. I'm already depressed enough. Of course, now we have to wonder who will win Pancho's heart in the "novia" department. Guess I'm betting on Chela to prevail although would be happy for Rebe to win out in the end as well. Love them both, actually. Two terrific actresses. Like the actor playing Pancho too. I don't recall seeing him before.

I'm having a little problem accessing the recaps directly on what seems to me to be a different sort of Caray!Caray! site. I don't know what to do with the RSS feeds and when I try to open them, all I see is a lot of computer-speak. Oh well.

Will do my best to keep reading all these wonderful recaps. Thanks for keeping it going!

Dona Felipa
 

Dona Filipa, are you using Chrome? It doesn't do very well with rss feeds. Try Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer and let me know if you still have trouble.
 

Great recap!

I've been worried from the beginning about the pork thing. While I would be worried about the van that's a small thing in comparison.

Now, are these people from Saudi Arabia? If so the women aren't accurately dressed; they would have their faces covered. They look more like they're from Egypt or Iran.

Candy will be an excellent belly dancer. Vince is going to go loco tonight!
 

Awesome recap! I'm still only sort of following this one, so the recaps are great for filling in the things I miss. Plus, they're such entertaining reads on their own.

Maybe I should just readjust my beanie, but why are they throwing an Arabian-style party for these generic Arabs? Wouldn't that tend to be a fakey version of what the visitors can get at home? Why not treat the guests to some authentic Mexican food (pork-free, por favor) and entertainment rather than do a bad imitation of their own culture?

Freddy and Elena should get together for real. They're both awful.
 

They should serve cabrito! In the Halil markets in Houston when you order lamb most of the time it is really cabrito.

Rosemary
 

Thanks for the recap. Agree Freddy and Elena deserve each other. But I will give Elena points for not letting him make moves on her in the car.

Pancho is growing on me. I like that little twirl he does and want see him dance.
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

Vivi and UA, I worried about the pork too. Although it's possible to make sausage from other kinds of meat, I don't think they ever discussed doing that. (It's possible it flew right over my head!)

One thing I did notice was that Pancho or someone mentioned huitlacoche. Maybe there is something similar in the Arab diet, I don't know, but I would think twice before springing that on people who aren't familiar with it. (Dunno if they actually proposed serving it, or if someone said they'd better NOT serve it.)

I was aghast at using the van as a limo for the VIPs as well, but I guess that turned out okay.

UA - cultural accuracy in national costume? Ha ha, look elsewhere. I don't remember when or where, but I know I've seen similar gaffes in other telenovelas. It is easy enough these days to find out how people dress in other places using Google Image or whatever, but I suppose they're also limited to whatever they have on hand. (Ditto for inaccuracies about pop culture and fashion any time they flash back to the 80s and 90s.)
 

Thanks so much for the recap Melinama. I have been watching Familia since the beginning as a kind of dessert reward after working on CME recaps or even just concentrating harder as one does when on a recap team. This is delicious and a nice venture into humor. Your efforts to put a recap and discussion up are greatly appreciated.

When I was in Mexico City last week I kept hearing men use the accent and especially sentence rhythm that Poncho and his cuates use. It is genuine and so fun to imitate.

It sounds like the close watchers prefer Chela to Rebe but I love Rebe with Mayrin using her real voice softly in stead of that high pitch screech she used in Yo Amo a Don Querendon. Chela seems like she expects to be rewarded with Pancho's love because she is the perfect servant and door mat. I hope he rises to the challenge of Rebe and it would bring her closeer to earth too.
 

Honestly, I don't like either Rebe or Chela much. I find Rebe more annoying and usually more unkind (last night notwithstanding), and doubt that she's sacrificed much for anyone in her life; on the other hand, Chela's sacrifices border on martyrdom and are based on her unrealistic desire to live in a dream world with oblivious Pancho.

Rebe and Chela are two sides of a coin in terms of wanting attention and control, and being very obnoxious with one another about it, even when it's not even rational. Chela gets bent out of shape and aggressive about every little thing, and then Rebeca unloads a cruel load of insults and mockery instead of walking away.

Individually, Rebe's condescension and Chela's self-righteousness are only mildly annoying. But when they get together, I get a big headache!
 

Actually huitlacoche would not bother me at all, I have it on my list of things to look for in the Latino mkt. After all mushrooms are a fungus, just don't eat the wrong ones.
See below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_smut

The thing that so far I haven't had the guts to try (guts is right) is mondongo, tripe. That is also served in the south. Interesting how different cultures have the same thing, only called sth different. The Scottish have haggis, things that fill a stomach lining. see below
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggis

Soul food has hog maws, stomach lining. I think Arabs eat things like eyeballs.

I'm sure whatever Chela & Pancho serve, the Arabs will love & Pancho will get a million $ contract.

Variopinta
 

There's a little bit of tripe in Campbell's Scotch Broth soup, if you can find it. At least there used to be. That was one of my favorite soups long before I knew there was any tripe in it, so I don't have a problem with tripe.

I might try huitlacoche because I know what it is, but if I were seeing it for the first time I am pretty sure I would think there had been a terrible mishap in the kitchen.
 

Thank you for this wonderful recap!

I loved it when Pancho met the arabs at the airport. I thought his English was better than Rebeca's! He was pretty easy to understand. Rebeca's attempt at English several episodes sounded like she had no idea what she was saying. (I shouldn't make fun, because my spoken Spanish is abysmal, but I'm just saying.)

Freddy is unappealing to me. He's going to have to work hard to make himself likable.
 

"Several episodes AGO" (in reference to Rebeca speaking Spanish).
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder