Monday, January 23, 2012

El Talismán - Cast of Characters


Roberto Vander is Esteban Nájera


He is father of the protagonist Camila and her brother Armando, husband of Elvira. He is a charming man but a compulsive gambler. His character is weak. His wife is the one who holds the reins of the house while he spends his time gambling it away.


Thanks to Elvira he succeeds, for a time, in becoming the owner of the rancho El Talismán, but in spite of his therapies he once again falls into his vice, instigated by Don Gregorio. He loses El Talismán in a poker game and his family must leave the ranch.


Julieta Rosen is Elvira Nájera


Mother of Camila and Armando, and wife of Esteban. She is a beautiful woman of much character, and the lover of Gregorio for a while. When Esteban loses everything due to his gambling vice Elvira becomes bitter about life and bitter towards her children.


When they buy El Talismán Elvira becomes Gregorio’s lover to get money from him, but Gregorio doesn’t fall for her trap and dumps her. When she loses everything Elvira swears vengeance and, years later, uses her own son Armando to avenge herself against Gregorio via his granddaughters.


Elvira disregards the fact that Pedro has deposited the value of El Talismán in Esteban’s bank account.


Pablo Azar is José Armando Nájera



Brother of Camila, son of Elvira and Esteban. He loves his sister Camila and is willing to do anything for her.


He is impulsive and vindictive, but malleable. When his family owned but then lost El Talismán he developed a hatred for the world and has vowed revenge.


Driven by his mother, and using two names, he loves Don Gregorio’s two granddaughters and enjoys watching them fight each other.




Sergio Reynoso is Don Gregorio Negrete


Antagonist, father of Lucrecia and Antonio, grandfather of Fabiola and Florencia.


He is a hard man, heartless, who has always wanted El Talismán but has never been able to obtain it.


Rich and powerful, he has just about everything but he wants El Talismán, so it becomes an obsession and he becomes capable of killing to get it. Years ago he was about to take it away from Esteban, the father of the protagonista.


In the beginning he was in love with Matilde, Mariana’s mother, but Matilde loved Bernardo and married him. This makes Gregorio such a bitter man that he marries una cualquiera (so maybe a nobody, maybe a tramp?).


It is Gregorio’s fault that Mariana has gone mad.




Lola Ponce is Lucrecia Negrete


Antagonist, daughter of Gregorio, sister of Antonio and sister-in-law of Doris.


She is very beautiful but obsessive, and accustomed to having what she wants when she wants it. She is a bold woman who, because Pedro has denied her his love, decides to get it at all costs. She knows Pedro is married but she doesn’t care and so keeps sniffing around.

Her father supports her because if Lucrecia can conquer Pedro then Don Gregorio will have El Talismán. Lucrecia hates Camila ever since she arrived, and she knows Pedro likes her, but Lucrecia is a hypocrite a pretends to be Camila’s friend to keep an eye on her movements.


She will make life impossible for Camila



Aarón Díaz is Antonio Negrete


Antagonist. Son of Don Gregorio, husband of Doris, brother of Lucrecia. He is a daddy’s boy and used to getting whatever he wants. He is bad, selfish and cruel.


As a young man he seduces Mariana and leaves her pregnant. His father wants Antonio to marry Mariana in order to get El Talismán, but Mariana doesn’t want to marry him because she knows he’s only doing it because he wants her ranch.


Antonio doesn’t care about Mariana or his son and finally his father marries him off to Doris, the daughter of a friend. Doris and Antonio have a hate-filled marriage. When Camila returns to the ranch Antonio falls in love with her and wants a divorce from Doris in order to be with Camila.


He always looks after his own interests. He is the father of Fabiola and Florencia and is good to them in spite of everything else.


He doesn’t admit it, but even though he hates his wife he sure likes making love to her.



Blanca Soto is Camila Nájera


Camila Nájera is the daughter of Elvira and Esteban, and sister of Armando.


Protagonist, a beautiful woman, and positive in spite of much suffering as a child thanks to her father’s vice. She has moved on. She is an agronomist, lover of nature and a very positive person.


She is direct, sweet, and enchanting but she is not a wimp. She’s strong like her mother and gets what she wants through kindness. She tries to be fair in everything and always finds the bright side of things. She is in love with Pedro Ibarra and is, at first, unaware that he is married.


Camila is always in conflict because she love Pedro, but she believes he is guilty of her father’s ruin. Camila does not know that Pedro paid her father in full for their ranch, and believes he took it in bad faith.


Camila never doubts the love she feels for Pedro, but she does doubt she can live with someone who, she believes, has done so much damage to her family.


Rafael Novoa is Pedro Ibarra



Protagonist, husband of Mariana. He married her to help keep Don Gregorio from taking her baby. He is handsome, manly, and although he seems cynical he is basically a good man.


He was raised in an orphanage and he helps the orphans whenever he can. He came to the country as an undocumented worker; Mariana and her father help him succeed.


Pedro tries to regain el rancho El Talismán for Mariana. He loves his wife like a sister and married her as a favor, however he falls in love with Camila. He is afraid of love and uses his cynicism as a shield.

Pedro is considered a bad guy but in spite of this Camila falls in love with him. Pedro is a man who is fair, direct, simple and foolish.


Karyme Lozano is Mariana Aceves

Mariana Aceves is a complex character who suffers the consequences of her mistakes. 

Despite knowing the hatred between her father Bernardo and Gregorio Negrete, she carries on a clandestine love affair with Gregorio's son Antonio.


She marries Pedro Ibarra in order to protect herself from the opportunistic Los Negrete, who wish to take her child (by Antonio) from her. Will Mariana allow Pedro to lose what is most important to him in order to regain El Talismán?
 

Labels: ,


Comments:
Even though the synopsis said this was a story of THREE families, for some reason the cast descriptions were for two of the families only, plus Pedro the handsome interloper. If Uni adds more cast descriptions I will happily post them, but this is what we have for now.
 

I added the character of Mariana Aceves and just made some stuff up based on the synopsis.
 

Thank you for this, Cap'n Sylvia! I think I'll have to watch this, since it is set in FRESNO! Let's hope they show us a few scenes of Yosemite while they're at it! Can't resist that. I find the idea that the galán was an undocumented worker in the USA to be fascinating. Like with Eva Luna, I am very interested in telenovelas set in the USA. Also I am a fan of Blanca Soto and Aaron Diaz. So I'll be sure to be checking in on this one.
 

Thanks for this Silvia. I'm still cracking up over those lush, tropical backgrounds in some of the character pictures, supposedly being FRESNO!

From the description it sounds like the three families are the Aceves (Mariana and her dad Bernardo), the Najeras, and the Negretes. And migrant worker/galan Pedro Ibarra marries the daughter in the Aceves family, while being in love with the daughter in the Najera family, and being stalked by the daughter in the evil Negrete family. Sounds like he gets around and gets himself in some trouble being tied to these three families this way. I can see why the character description says he's foolish. He'd have to be to get himself tied up with three women from three families that hate each other and are fighting over land. :)
 

Sylvia, Thanks for the research on this. It soudns intersting if somewhat of another violent, abusive set of scenes. And thanks to Vivi for the hilarious description of Pedro Ibarra and his foolish life choices. Can't wait to meet him.
 

Thanks Cap'n! This sounds juicy, I can't wait. I love Blanca Soto, Aaron Diaz and Juliet Rosen. I have a crazy school schedule (I get home most week nights right at 8:10!) but will try and comment on the recaps. My thanks in advance to you and all the other recappers.

Vivi- ITA, one woman is trouble but three! he is indeed foolish. Looking forward to the amazing cat fights :)

Star
 

Hey, there, Capn Sylvia! It does look like a really good novela and I love Aron Diaz's body. He did buff out the beefcake by the end of Teresa and I now am anxious to see him play a bad dude. There are some new faces for me, but Rafael is yummy looking and a new, YOUNG, AGE-APPROPRIATE hunk. Therefore, I cannot resist. Who knows, maybe Sra. Soto's acting has improved as well....
 

Hola Jardinera! I'm looking forward to this because it has some new faces for me. I've never seen Blanca Soto in anything, she is gorgeous. The only familiar faces to me are Aaron Diaz, Julieta Rosen, and Sergio Reynoso who I thought was just dreadful when I saw him long ago. I think Aaron and Julieta are terrific. I have seen Rafael Novoa in a very small role, he was delicious.

I love the idea of Pedro being involved with three warring women. Sounds like great fun in tropical Fresno.
 

Article about Univision's English captions: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/natpe-univision-primetime-english-translations-284442
 

Well now, that is very interesting. It kind of poses the question, if there are closed caps in English then is there a need for translating and posting recaps? Now in my case, my TV is so old that I don't have a CC3 option so I'm guessing I won't get English subtitles. But most likely everyone else in the world DOES have that option.

Thanks for the link Vivi. The cooking show Delicious looks interesting. I think I'll that to my Tivo lineup.
 

Oh Sylvia, I hadn't even thought about what that means for us on this site. I still think there is a need. Telemundo also has English ccs I believe, and they still have a robust group providing mini-recaps and commenting each day. Plus, we talk about vocabulary and dichos too.

I have a new tv, and I STILL don't know how to make my captions work. LOL! But I find I get a lot more out of watching without captions (Spanish or English). It makes my brain and ears work harder, and I pay more attention to those little details I love so much. :)
 

About captions--I don't have them and I understand enough Spanish to do without them (except where there is rapid-fire Spanish a la Silvia or regional idioms thrown around).

Much like with foreign movies, if they are subtitled, I tend to "read" the movie instead of watching and listening to it. If you can, watch without captions--you'll be training your ear faster.

When I started watching Sortilegio with CarayCaray as backup, I really needed the recaps.

Now I don't NEED the recaps as much, but couldn't live without them. It provides the platform for the community of commenters and a daily dose of belonging to a group of wonderful folks.
Anita
 

Well said Anita. Not only is it fun to translate and write the recaps, it's REALLY FUN to dish the dirt, er I mean engage in study group discussion, about our crazy programs.
 

Heads up. PBS News Hour (6 PM in most places) is doing a segment tonight, "Why watching a telenovela can be good for your health."
 

Mee too Study Group! I even read the recaps of shows I am not watching.
Thanks for the PBS alert.
The first time I watched a telenovela without CC's was when I purchased a telenovela on discs. After much button pushing and going to my tv's online user manual I had to accept that the cc's were just not there! It was a long long arduous struggle getting thru those discs. But I'm glad I did and you're right, I listen more intently now.
 

Thanks Paula. I'm listening to the show right now.
 

so ladies, what did they say about watching telenovelas as a good health thing?
paula, in case you're interested, we (t-w forum folks watching La hija del mariachi on telefutura) are planning a group watch of YSBLF probably starting sometime after feb (we plan to do group watch of the colombian finale of mariachi first after we assume telefutura will air the shorter int'l finale).
i am almost done with my translation project for YSBLF so that will come in handy for non-spanish speaking folks.
 

Marta, the news was about a new telenovela that is specifically about health and medical issues. Right now it is only showing in the Denver area. Here is an article about it:
Encrucijada
 

don't know how many are interested and have access to the Telefutura East signal, but in the morning showing of La Hija del Mariachi, Telefutura is showing the colombian finale for the first time! earlier showings have always included the international finale. The colombian is much longer and more satisfying, needless to say makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the rushed int'l finale. ep 119 where the split happens was shown this morning.
 

As usual, I am popping in late to this party. I've just read the cast of characters and the synopsis and I am hoping like crazy to keep up with this one. Looks like a fabulous recapping crew and Fresno looks like a glamorous locale.

As for the usefulness of recaps now that Univison is CCing in English: I try to watch without CC.

1. The CCs are sometimes strange (for instance, in last night's UFCS, "vamos a la playa" was translated: "lets go to the bitch.")
2. They distract me and I kind of stop listening ot the Spanish. I want to train my ears.
3. Maybe this doesn't happen elsewhere, but I've watched a few episodes in which there were no CCs for about 10 minutes...usually at a crucial time.

I agree with everyone else: it's not so much the recaps we come here for, but rather the academic platform provided. Yeah. Study group. :-)
 

Sara, hee, "Let's go to the bitch" might not be too far off from some of our translations! That really made me laugh. Thank you.
 

About the closed captions: Really old TV's might not be able to get them. "Medium" old TV's probably can, with no problem. But brand new TV's, especially if you connect with HDMI, make it a bit harder. Captions often don't work with the TV's remote, although you can often set them up in the service menu of the HD cable box. This has something to do with HDMI. It's very cumbersome for me to turn them on and off on my new set, whereas before, it was simple.

I also find that I enjoy the acting more if I don't have to read the captions, so I had stopped using them even on my old set, unless I wanted to check something that I missed.

But even if I had captions in English, I would still greatly enjoy the recaps!
 

Just got a heads-up on Facebook that starting tonight, Univisión will be providing English subtitles on CC3 for ALL the telenovelas (including Talismán.) I don't appear to have CC3, but I prefer the Spanish captions anyway (for picking up new vocabulary.)

AI AI AI CAN'T WAIT TIL 8!
 

Looking forward to tonight but here on the west coast I have dish network, there is no listing for Talisman! I see Don Francisco listed after Podia which I will record hoping it's a mistake. Anyone else have Dish on the west coast??
 

Por fin! The day is here! El Talisman's "Muy Pronto" sure took its sweet time getting to us.

I have missed the best study group in el mundo so much, and can't wait to dig in again. I've visited with my other friends enough these past few weeks I won't feel too guilty putting them off until after fin semanas!

How bad is it that I am leaving my Spanish class early tonight to run home to watch a telenovela?

Aye! I am getting wound! Like Blue Lass, I feel some raisin jokes comin' on.

Are we wearing anything special for the Premiere Episode? Is there clothing unique to Fresno that we'll have to drum up for all of our dress-up parties?

Yay! Jan. 30th!!!

Rosemary la Otra
 

Cowboy hats?
 

Cowboy hats would be perfect I think. Unfortunately I don't have one. Doesn't matter, I'm just really looking forward to snarking again with the rest of you.

New recapper Cynderella is doing the first recap tonight. Can't wait! I've told my girlfriends I'm leaving happy hour promptly at 7:00 to make sure I get home in time for the first episode.

Hombre, thanks for the info about CC3. It sounds like it's just as well I don't get them.
 

Sylvia - I just got a chance to read your nice synopsises (synopsi?) about the plot and cast. Thanks for the head start on putting the pieces together. I would much rather concentrate on listening to the Spanish and thinking up mean nicknames for our first victim. Who do we think it will be? Pobre persona.

I don't have a cowboy hat either, but yesterday I found a favorite visor of my dad's going through his closet. It has what looks like bird poop on it with the phrase "Splat happens". Would that suffice?

Good luck tonight Cyderella! I look forward to meeting you.

R la O
 

Splat Happens? Hoo haa haa!!!! That sounds very appropriate. I look forward to enjoying your humor again.
 

Good luck Cynderella--welcome to our study group-some of us study the men; others study the women.

I've been helping a friend close up her house and among her things I rescued from the hauler were her hats--lovely 1940's & 50's style, INCLUDING a man's tango-looking hat and a beautiful red Spanish stole. It's not Fresno--but the Spanish connection should do.

Will there be mission-style iglesias for our characters to pray, wed, and be buried in? Hope the padre is not a tonto--nor a chismoso.

Can't wait. FIVE hours to go. See you all tomorrow when our study group reassembles to discuss the pertinent facts of tonight's lesson.
Anita
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder