Sunday, February 05, 2012

Una Familia Con Suerte #109-110 Fri 2/3/12 The Paradise Syndrome

I couldn't come up with a good title, so I borrowed the name of a sad Star Trek episode.

Vice wants to see Candy. He threatens to knock down the door. Ana, Pepe, and Moni get in his way, but Candy comes out on her own and sends the kids out of the room. Concerned, they call Pancho.

Candy tells Vice yeah, Demián really was my first boyfriend. My and your relationship was a mistake. Vice doesn't believe it. Candy accuses him of lying too - he had told her he hadn't been intimate with Pina, so how'd she get pregnant? He wants to know if Pina told her about that. She says everyone knows about it, and insists she's going to marry Demián. "Your words say one thing, but your face says something else," Vice says.

Candy runs out of the room. Pancho arrives. Vice apologizes to him. They talk some nonsense and try to shake one anothers' hands, but are unable to.

At home, Pina is still a wreck over Vice and isn't happy when Fred tells her he saw Vice heading for Stately Lopez Manor. Plus, she isn't feeling well. Fred wonders how he'll be able to forgive his father. He insists on taking Pina to the doctor's office. While they wait, Fred tells Pina that the baby isn't going to change anything - Vice will continue to mistreat her.

Candy cries and whines in bed. Ana tries to comfort her by saying it's better this way. Candy assures Pancho that Vice won't be back.

The doctor has bad news: it's an ectopic pregnancy. (An ectopic pregnancy is one in which the egg is implanted somewhere other than the uterus, usually in a Fallopian tube. In addition to an extremely low chance of the fetus developing normally, there is an extremely high risk of rupture and uncontrollable bleeding, which can result in the woman's death.) The doctor thinks it should be "drenado" (drained, a euphemism I've never heard before). He tells her to go home, rest, come back at 7 tomorrow morning after at least a six-hour ayuno (fast). She can't even drink water. He says about one in 60 pregnancies are ectopic and assures Fred that it has nothing to do with stress (i.e. no fair blaming Vice for this).

Montage: Beto, Pancho, and Rebe meet for hours and hours. Night falls. Pancho gets an idea that we don't get to hear, which puts everyone in a good mood. After the montage, Pancho tells Rebe he'd love to hang out with her, but he's got to go home to Lupita. But at least the project is still alive! Mushy talk and kisses.

Chela thanks Enzo for a nice evening and insists that he call her Chela rather than Graciela. He wants another date. She tells him she needs space/wants to take it slow. She gets out of the car before he has a chance to gallantly open the door for her. They almost kiss, but she backs off. "I need space." Sigh.

At home again, Pina asks Fred not to tell Vice what's happening. He comes home and sends "ojos de huevos" out of the room. He angrily asks Pina if she told Candy about the baby. She insists that she did not. Noticing her discomposure and extremely poor coloring, he asks if she's okay. "Go away, leave me alone, go to hell!"

Fred meets with Ana and tells her Pina is losing the bebé. At least they have their love! "A la goma con todo [to hell with everyone]" says Ana, she doesn't want to keep their love a secret.

Tom visits Lupita. She invites him to stay for dinner. She asks what's up with Elena? He says she's more unbearable than ever.

Cheerful Enzo dances with Mónica. She notes that he seems awful happy. "I gave Chela an unforgettable kiss!" (If you ask me, he and Chela both need to take lessons from Arnold.) He tells her that Chela admitted to being in love with Pancho, but "she has changed my life."

Candy comes down to dinner, still in her robe. Ana makes her big announcement: Freddie and I are novios! This is met with amused faces, skeptical eye rolls, and angry outbursts from Tom and Pancho about her dating that über-fresa. But this brings more comments about everyone elses' relationships with fresas, all the way down to Temo and Popeye. Ana reveals that Fred admitted he had been looking for revenge, but he changed. Chela and Pancho suggest that everyone stop judging everyone else. Hysterical Temo asks, with both dad and Chela dating, who's going to stay with the family? Oh, shut up, kid.

Chela says she's dating Enzo; that doesn't mean they're getting married, and the same goes for Pancho and Rebeca. (Pancho gets very shifty-eyed when he hears this.) Chela adds that they all have a right to live their own lives and fall in love. Temo whines some more about "Transeti" and Chela tells him to forget it, and his name is Rinaldi. Ha! It's high time she taught him some manners. Pancho says they'll always be a family.

Mo tells Enzo that Violeta was really yelling at her on the phone. Enzo says yes, and to think you didn't believe me when I said she was unstable! She wonders how they fell in love. Enzo says he was 17 and she was really hot. Mo says Violeta said she's in love with Enzo. He says no, that's just how she is, obsessive and crazy. Mo says she had to tell her that he was in love with Chela, in hopes that she'd leave them alone. He says don't worry, he knows how to handle her. Mo says she's scared. It's such a disappointment after she fought so hard to find her. Enzo, who is fast becoming the King of I-Told-You-So, says, well, you really wanted to meet your mother, and as the Americans say, be careful what you wish for!

Pancho visits with Lupita in her room. He asks what she'd think if he got married? She says it'd be the end of the world for some people, but she thinks he should go for it. Pancho wasn't sure because she was in mourning, speaking of which, he offers her a black ribbon to wear in case she doesn't want to go around wearing black, since she's so young and times have changed. Lupita likes the idea. She didn't want to wear black because it would bum people out. She assures Pancho that nothing would make her happier than to see him happy with Rebeca.

Enzo tells Mo he found some information about her biodad. It seems he's in Indonesia, working for some metals company. (Given how many lies Enzo has told Mo already, I'm not sure if I believe him.) Mo says that's fine for him in Indonesia, but her REAL dad is right here in Mexico. He's the only one she's ever had. "I have the best father in the world! I love you!"

Next day: Chato and Chacho are at the market for no apparent reason. Chacho is grumpy. He doesn't understand why they're there, since they've already picked up their supplies for the week. And he's highly annoyed that Chato seems to have forgotten what day it is. But surprise! Nobody's forgotten. The whole gang is there to wish him a happy birthday. (Yeah, like at 7 in the morning. I think it was recapper Ezra who once asked what time do these crazy people get up?) Chacho gets the thrill of his life - a hug from his obliviously beloved Chela.

At breakfast, Meli asks Vice why he and Pina sleep in different rooms. Pina and Fred are missing. Unbeknownst to them, Pina and Fred are at the doctor's office, waiting. She is distraught. She doesn't hate the idea of maybe dying on the table. Fred tries to comfort her, but the doctor comes in and says she's getting a tranquilizer. (That ought to do it.) The procedure will be quick and he doesn't expect any complications.

At the office, Enzo scolds Vice for drinking at 11 AM. Vice still thinks Pina put Candy up to the whole charade with Demián.

At the doctor's, Arnold and Ana keep Fred company while they wait. Arnold gives his hearty approval to the young couple. The doctor comes in and says all went well.

At the birthday party, Pancho asks Chato for some help coming up with a great idea.

Chacho pulls Chela aside and says no offense, but why are you with Transeti, of all people? Chela defends all of Enzo's good qualities. Finally she notices that Chacho is close to tears. "Don't you realize? I've been in love with you for a long time."

Next time:
A decent proposal.

Labels:


Comments:
First, I'd like to thank Ezra, Melinama, and Julia for some excellently funny recaps this week. I can't deal with all these gloomy episodes, but I'm trying to think of them as being the characters' growing pains.

In keeping with Fred's apparent personality change, I have discontinued the "Frauddie" nickname. Vince is still Vice, though.
 

Sara asked a few days ago if we've already talked to death the irony that the executive meetings at "the company for women" are usually 80% male. No, we haven't, but it's a good point. At one time it would have been Fernanda running the meetings instead of Pancho, so there would have been a slightly better ratio... but with Fernanda's nephew in the VP spot and his best bud at his side, it can't ever be an executive board of women.

Really it's the backbone of the company, the Avon sales reps, that's mostly women. I guess in the boardroom it looks just like every other company.

Well, they do say they're the company FOR women, not the company OF women...
 

Julie- Fab recap as always. Thanks so much.

I'll talk about the episode a bit later, but wanted to share something I found in my research the other day, since you mention it. A few years ago, Avon decided to make Avon Mexico a pilot site for a new program to grow the pool of female executives. It seems Avon looked around and found that there were NO women, meaning ZERO, on their executive team in Mexico, and much of their other Latin American HQs were the same. They did an intervention, started grooming more women for leadership in Mexico, and eventually one of them became so impressive that she was promoted to the head of Avon-Ecuador. The balance is still way off though. Avon Mexico employs 3,0000 people, and the women are mainly represented at the bottom and amongst the sales women.
 

Ooops! That's 3,000, as in three thousand.
 

Thank you so much Julie for this great recap. Love your title. It was so sad about Pina. Eptopic pregnancy is a hard thing to go thru, I had a friend that had been trying for years, and this happened to her, she was devastated.

I am loving how Freddie is turning out to be so sweet and caring, way better than he used to be.

I like how Ana told everyone about Freddie and that was that. Temo just needs to shut up already. He has gone too far. Besides isn't he "in love " with Meli?

Candy needs to stick to her guns and stay away from Vins until he settles things with Pina.

I am really liking Chela and Enzzo. They are so good together. Who would have thought? ITA with you , they could have gotten some kissing lessons from Arnold, lol. Arnold would be really good with Pina. He does understand her very well.

I wonder if Moni will try to see her bio dad, just to see who he is. I am glad she still thinks of Enzzo as her Papa.

And Chacho, this is sad, cause Chela is so not in love with him. He would be really great with Adoracion instead of Chato.
 

Thank you so much Julie. It is especially appreciated. I know how awful migraines can be.

I really felt so terrible for Pina. All I could think of was how excited she was about the baby. I know part of it was she though it would help her keep her "amors" but I thin she was looking forward to just spoiling the child. (I'm thinking about her convo with Vince and her talking about Mini-Pini.)

Fred was perfect. A very good son. I never saw any of the "Frauddie" episodes and you could tell me he was a complete jerk, but I don't think that matters now. He showed his true colors with his "Moms".

My only concern is Pina asking him not to say anything to Vince. Are we headed for a fake pregnancy?

Oh, since I haven't babbled on enough. I thought it was awesome when the doctor asked how she was and Pina said "I'm about to lose my baby. How do you think?" Good for her.
 

Sara- I also loved when Pina said that to the doc. That was such a real moment of complete honesty. I loved how Freddie was with Pina and that he confided in Ana (for his support), and Arnold (for support for Pina). There's no way Pina can keep this from Vince for long. Poor Pina.

I also felt for Chacho, but I'm glad that he told Chela the truth of his feelings.
 

Madelaine, Moni didn't seem interested in knowing any more about her father, which may have been just what Enzo had hoped. I sure hope he's not lying to her, but I thought he told her earlier that he wasn't even sure who the guy was, just that he was from a family with money. How can you get a report on a guy's whereabouts if you don't even know who he is?

Yes, Temo is in love with Meli, and someone pointed that out to him during the verbal melee. But he's already told Pancho he thinks it's different for him because Pancho has kids and he doesn't.

Chacho and Ado? I'm not sure if I can see it. She'd be quite a change from Chela, no? But they both deserve to be with someone nice. Although I don't find Chato especially appealing, I did like the way he swept her off her feet. Maybe the Broom of Destiny will sweep some sense into him.

Sara, I promise Fraud was a complete jerk. He even tried to frame Pepe and get him fired not too long ago. He is freakishly different now. I hope it doesn't wear off.

Pina fake a pregnancy? I wouldn't put it past her, but I hope we don't have to go there. As Vivi alluded, if Pina fakes a pregnancy it could put Arnold in a very awkward position. But right now I'm more worried that Candy will turn up PG.

Vivi, I'm with you about Chacho proclaiming his love to Chela. I don't think it's going to get him anywhere with her, but it might convince her to be more sensitive to him, and it might help him to move on.

I guess there's also the remote chance she'll say, "Whoa, Chacho likes me? Woohoo! Hey Enzo, gotta dump you - Kojak gave me a better offer." But somehow I doubt it.
 

Hmmm..you have been wanting to know more about the Star Trek Paradise Syndrome Julie. I didn't really watch that show.

We are certainly getting some interesting vocabulary in this telenovela. Like you, I noticed "drenado" and having experienced a nightmarish miscarriage, I could really sympathize with Pina's sadness. I thought, though, that her anger at the doctor was misplaced. She could have just said, "Thank you for asking. I'm heartbroken, scared and angry. But not at you."

Doctors and nurses are often the targets of misplaced anger and it doesn't make their difficult jobs any easier.

And I fear you recappers are going to have a difficult job. I've heard that Familia is going back to two-hour episodes, and that el Talisman will air at 9 and LQNPA at 10. A pox on Univision and their schedule screwing!

This was a wonderful recap, written under duress it sounds like. And now they're expecting you to deal with double episodes again.
 

Oh...and thanks Vivi for the Avon research. Very interesting.
 

Judy, the Star Trek episode really has nothing to do with this Familia episode at all. I just picked a title from a sad one.

At the time, it seemed a random choice. Although, now that I think about it, it's not entirely irrelevant to our story. Kirk goes to a planet and gets amnesia. (No, I'm not kidding.) The planet is inhabited by people who look a lot like Native American Indians. They find unconscious Kirk on the steps of their mysterious holy obelisk, in fulfillment of some prophecy, so they have him marry the chief's daughter and become the new chief. Kirk is plagued with vague dreams of his old life, but can't really remember anything. Meanwhile, he is very happy with his new wife Miramanee, who soon tells him she is with child.

Then it all gets spoiled because an asteroid is going to hit the planet and there's a horrible storm and Miramanee is killed (along with Kirk Jr.). Spock shows up and he and Kirk figure out that the controls inside the obelisk can be used to destroy the asteroid and save the planet. Hooray! But now Kirk is a widower, and it's a total bummer.

The title "paradise syndrome" refers to the dissatisfaction that some people feel after reaching the pinnacle of their career, accomplishing all of their goals, etc. Despite his prestigious rank and great professional reputation, Kirk has spoken before of his yearning for the road not taken. Now he gets to take that other road, and it's everything he ever imagined. (Plus, he gets to be chief!)

And then it's gone and he has to go back to that dumb old sausagefest on the Enterprise.
 

Back to two hours a night? Judy, I sure hope someone is pulling our leg. It's all I can do to keep up with one hour per night. Those doubles are brutal!
 

Julie, thanks so much!

I agree with you that Enzo and Chela need to attend Arnoldo's Osculation Academy. Ana sure went from total awkwardness to smoochy-gropy confidence in a hurry!

Poor Pina. I agree with Judy about not taking out one's feelings on the doctors and nurses, but also understand the frustration of people who are obviously feeling very bad being asked how they're feeling. The doctor may actually have clinical reasons to ask; he needs to assess whether she has any additional symptoms or issues going on, etc. When Pancho asks family members who are crying in bed how they're feeling, that's just kind of annoying.

I also thought it was a bit sad that when the family went through their rundown of everyone falling in love with fresas, no one even mentioned Alex. Poor Lupita is going to think everyone has forgotten him (if she didn't think that already, the way everyone demanded she be happy immediately after his funeral).

On to happy bits. The limp handshakes thing was pretty funny.

Another thing I found amusing was Chacho FINALLY telling Chela how he feels while wearing his most little-kid-looking t-shirt and a birthday hat. Poor dude needs to move on. Maybe Celeste? She's nice.

Thanks for the Avon info, Vivi. It's good that they're working on promoting women more in the business. I wonder if we'll see women promoted at Avon on this show.
 

There's been chatter on the El Talismán thread about scheduling shenanigans. It does seem our Familia may be going back to two hours nightly, at least for a while. I am NOT HAPPY about this.
 

LOL, Julia, about Chacho's shirt. He looks 12 in that shirt. I cringe every time he wears it.

Regarding asking people how they feel after something bad happens - one time after I lost my job in a mass layoff, my manager asked, "how do you feel?" Argh. I said, "use your imagination."

(I later read an article about "how to lay people off" and they recommended asking "how do you feel" to determine if the employee is likely to come back in a vengeful mood. I think that if I had been planning such a thing, I would have kept it to myself. Isn't revenge supposed to be a surprise?)
 

Oh, what I meant to add to that was, sure the doctor is asking a valid question, but "do you have any other symptoms" might have been a better way to ask. "How do you feel?" is too open-ended a question for someone whose dreams have just been crushed.
 

Thanks for your recap Julie. It was a sad episode but I'm really enjoying Enzo and Chela's relationship. Who knows how things will turn out with 150 episodes to go but I like that storyline.

I'm thinking Uni is trying to compete against Telemundo with this schedule change but I feel for you recappers :(
 

I think if someone had just fired me (oh, they can call it whatever they want) and then asked me how I felt, that would make me MORE LIKELY to be vengeful. Not that I would actually do anything, being civilized and all, but I would think it.

Maybe after Pina's snarky response, doc will rethink his bedside manner.
 

Julie, thanks for the weekend recap.

I do believe that was first time Chela had every been "really" kissed!

Pobre Pina but at least we now see that Fred is on the road to redemption. I am sure she is going to come out on top sin Vinny.

Rosemary
 

Julie, gracias for great storytelling. I missed most of the episode so all the detail is much appreciated.

Poor Pina. Well, at least it can only go uphill for her from here. In a way, I'm glad it's Freddie - not Vince - who's watching over her. Otherwise, she might still think she had a chance with Vince.
 

Tks for the great recap.

And TG for a TN on the mostly light side.
 

Vivi- I finally saw the Pear Robe in MEPS. It wasn't bad looking. It looked warm and fuzzy. Fer wore it when she was getting ready for her wedding. The colors were bright on it, lots of pink lol. I will keep my eye out to see if it is in anymore scenes.
 

Julie..I love your answer..."Use your imagination". I think that was perfect. Not openly hostile but still...let the interviewer know it was a clunker question.

Listening Advice like that tends to be formulaic and just falls flat. But I suppose the people who "go postal" also lack the editorial capacity to hide their rage, and might open up and vent their anger and aggression. All I know is I would never want to have a job where I had to fire people. When I was teaching, I really hated giving people bad grades, but sometimes there was just no other way. I'm much happier in work situations where all I have to do is support and encourage people.

And thanks for explaining the Paradise Syndrome. Sounds all too familiar to me, alas!
 

WAIT. The pear robe we all vaguely thought we had seen on MEPS had pink on it? There are TWO versions of the pear robe?! The plot thickens! I think this warrents a whole segment in the Pear Robe documentary.
 

Madelaine and Julia- Alas, that one is not the Pear Robe. It's a similar looking flower robe. You'll find it at the end of my Pear Robe Project post: http://caraycaray.blogspot.com/2011/12/pear-robe-project.html

Keep looking for it in MEPS Madelaine! We think Pri is the one who will wear it.
 

Vivi+Julia- I really thought that was it lol. In hindsight it looked like really bright kiwi's lol. I will still keep looking for it. I tape the show every night and watch it when I have some spare time. Loving MEPS it is very intriguing.
 

Oh, it was the similar flower robe. Whew. For a minute there I thought we had a major dramatic twist in the Pear Robe Saga. A long-lost fraternal twin, kidnapped at birth or something.
 

Julie, so sorry to hear about your migraines. They don't seem to adversely affect your sense of humor, that's for sure.

I don't have much to add to the comments, except to note I was shocked that Pina's doctor seems to be a normal doctor. He's not a fruitcake and he's not corrupt (yet). Is this some kind of a first?

Familia recappers, you folks are the best and do not deserve to be thrust back into two-hour episodes. We are all absolutely incensed at this news.

Vivi, thank you for the Avon statistics. That is very interesting.
 

Thanks, Sylvia. I think Uni is, at least in part, trying to cut down the length of calendar time they have to devote to this long-running show; but this is crazy.

I know an extra five hours a week isn't a big deal for some people, and there are others who watch the entire lineup every night no matter what's on; but those are the core viewership. They are not the people that Uni has to struggle to grab. If Uni really cares about boosting ratings, they need to schedule things in a way that DOESN'T make it harder for the rest of the fans to continue watching.

If I have to FF through long segments of my ONLY Univision show every night just to get through the whole two hours in a timely manner, that pushes it out of the realm of enjoyment, and into the realm of stress and annoyance. It makes me wonder if I shouldn't just be reading a book instead. And if I do that, I'll be watching NO Univision shows.

THAT is what they need to consider when they ask themselves how best to retain their less-than-hardcore viewers. :-(
 

"If I have to FF through long segments of my ONLY Univision show every night just to get through the whole two hours in a timely manner, that pushes it out of the realm of enjoyment, and into the realm of stress and annoyance. It makes me wonder if I shouldn't just be reading a book instead. And if I do that, I'll be watching NO Univision shows."
-----

YES!!!! THIS!!!!!!!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder