Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Abismo de pasión #65 6/12/12: King of the Toads



Episode 65 - King of the Toads
June 12, 2012

Prologue
Date: Nine months earlier.
Location: Ciudad de Mexico

Deep in the bowels of the mysterious Televisa offices in D.F., a lonely and lowly scribe toils. He is not old, but his posture might make you think he is. He is hunched over an ancient desktop computer in a windowless basement room. The huge machine, running Microsoft Office 2004, lurches through yet another spell check. It’s running, running, running. His rheumy eyes roll heavenward as he spots the time—it’s 3:30 AM. He watches the little hourglass on the machine. It’s running, running, running.

The scriptwriter looks desperate as he falls to his knees beside the computer. “Virgencita, I swear, if you will keep this machine from crashing, I promise, I swear, I will stop using the ‘Elisa cries’ device.”

Tears fall down his face. He is ashamed. He knows he can do better. He cries, “But dear Lady Maria, What was I to do? They brought me a perfectly good script to refry, I admit it. I was so relieved! Our consumer research said the show was a popular favorite from the 90’s (we were able to find on-line comments from that bell-weather genius, Jarocha, from Veracruz, indicating that the original telenovela had been one of her favorites).

Then the MARKETING guys came down from the 19th floor. They said that updating the old script was all fine and good for us creative types but we needed to stretch the material by 20%—with no additional budget for extra writers to take up the slack! So, I spent a little more time on the La Anita business as product placement and if the camera lingered a little too long on the procesadora, the habaneros, the cenote, and the local scenery, well, I won’t apologize for that. Those things eat up screen time and we don’t have to pay them union scale.

“But then,” and the scriptwriter’s voice catches in a sob, then Carmina threw a crutch at my continuity person and now she’s out for a month, Gabino menaced one of the young writers and he filed a sexual harassment lawsuit (he wishes!!!) and my faithful co-writer up and got herself knocked up and is on MATERNITY leave? I’ll bet Caridad Bravo Adams never had to deal with this stuff back in the day! Who ever heard of such a thing?”

The Virgin, for her part, remains silent. “Madrecita, por favor, have pity on this weak man. I confess, here is how it came down. I was up on the set watching Angelique, and she had to redo a take three times. This is very unlike her, I must say, that woman is as ambitious as hell and a TOTAL professional, but CAN SHE CRY. She can cry while she’s telling a joke, cry while she’s pulling on her boots or cry while she’s having an in-between-scenes smoke.

I couldn’t help it, Santa Maria, the temptation was too great. My mind began to do the math. Let’s see, I have to write for 42 minutes of screen time, but if I add in an ‘Elisa crying scene’, say two-minutes, OK, three minutes, once, no twice a script. Whew, Mother Maria. I could just feel myself relax. Lady, that meant writing only 36 minutes of dialogue a day! After I added in a few more shots of Sergio lounging about shirtless and depressed (he’s always up for that), Alfonsina badmouthing Elisa (easy as pie—cut and paste) I was down to 30 minutes a day.

Holy Mother, I knew there were some risks. Those pesky fans on Caray Caray are always agitating for action and plot movement or romance.  Good grief. They also have a problem with stupidity and idiot heroines. I could tell them, if they would listen, Elisa isn’t stupid, she is just being written that way.

I know, Lady Mother that these last few weeks’ episodes will have pushed them too far. But if you will just let this computer not crash…I’ll try to clean up my act. I swear…”

The computer rumbles and whirls as if a baby bird is caught inside. The young writer’s rosary beads click at a furious pace as he continues to implore the Virgen of Guadalupe for her help.  Finally with a soft garumphh the computer screen changes, the small hourglass icon disappears, and a note pops up, indicating that the spell check is complete.

Immediately, the exhausted writer falls to his knees and sketches a quick sign of the cross, while placing his rosary back ‘round his neck and kissing the crucifix. Having said his thanks, he is already sending the script file to the printing room upstairs to be printed and bound.

He glances at the clock as he gathers up his things to go home. It’s 3:55 A.M. Perhaps he will remember his promises as he writes future episodes of Abismo de Pasion. Perhaps he won’t.

Today’s Recap
This Very Day In La Ermita, Yucatan

Don Augusto Castañon opens the door to ING who reintroduces herself as Ingrid Navarro, the mother of Gael—and Kenia. Augusto starts out with a bang, reminding her about of parenting skills, asking why, for example, she abandoned her child Gael with Lupe. But Ingrid fires back with the big guns—Kenia is a minor and he is much older than she is. If ‘Gusto doesn’t leave Kenia alone she will contact the authorities.

It’s a Bitch Being Under Age and Having a Bad Useless Mommy

Ingrid makes the quick trip to from Casa Castañon to Kenia’s. Right away she notices the beautifully set table, the flowers, she smells the cooking. Ingrid tells Kenia that she knows she is preparing for an evening with the Viejo Augusto.

Kenia complains bitterly to her horror of a mother for interfering in her life.  Sadly, here, for just this once, Ingrid has the right side of it. Ingrid, quite correctly says that Kenia is a minor and if Augusto continues bothering her daughter she will denounce him (to the police). Boy is that a mixed bag of ironies. Do they have an emancipated minor status in Mexico? Won’t Kenia be 18 sometime soon?

It’s a Headline! Gusto Catfood Wants To Separate From Carmina

Meanwhile, ‘Gusto Cat Food tells Carmina that they cannot keep fighting, so he has taken a decision. He wants to separate from Carmina. Yippee.

Here’s Augusto’s song. If you play an instrument, play along! If you sing, hum a few bars. All of us want to support Assgusto in THIS decision.


King of the Toads
Sung to the tune of Roger Miller’s ‘King of the Road’

Got me an orange wife for rent.
The garden’s big, you can pitch a tent.
Can’t make up your mind—Need some help?
Carmina’s got Five Stars on YELP!
It say’s right here, “Two hours of bouncing tan,
Made P. Landucci a happy man.”
Am I a bad man? By no means!
I’m the King of the Toads!

Child Elisa surely ain’t mine
All she does is weep and whine
The way that woman whinges
Is it any wonder if I cringes?
She’s always trying to hug on me,
Lookin’ for my sympathy,
Am I a good Papa? By no means!
I’m the King of the Toads!

Girlfriend Kenia’s hot for me.
Like I told Ingrid, “She’s WAY past puberty!”
“She’s 17 if she’s a day
Who cares about age anyway?”
Today I’ll tell her to back down
That’ll keep her from coming ‘round!
Am I a good amante? By no means!
I’m the King of the Toads!

Last week I shot Damian.
Firearms accident can really hurt a man,
Take him from a respected Don,
To an incarcerated Con.
Plus, if that shot’d gone wider and higher
Dam’d be the new soprano in ‘Lupe’s choir!
Am I a good shot? By no means!
I am the King of the Toads!

Girlfriend Kenia’s hot for me.
Like I told Ingrid, “She’s WAY past puberty!”
“She’s 17 if she’s a day!”
“Who cares about age anyway?”

I am the King of the Toads! I am the King of the Toads! I am the King of the Toads!

Elna June
Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Masked Visitor with a paper bag on her foot hobbles her way over to the Augusto table…

Whew! OH MAN. Carlos por me a drink. This has got me waxing hopeful. I am giddy that he is leaving  the Tiny Brown Spider.

Now maybe he’ll have time to get to a Costco store and get his glasses fixed. That will make it easier for me to write recaps without having to consider the possible deeper meanings or themes implied in the broken/obscured vision trope suggested by the star shape in the ruined eyeglasses. (You people who find this meaningful can head over to the rickety table hosted by the Alan Ginsburg look-alike twin Profs from NYU and UCLA Film Schools. The drink of choice over there is a triple espresso with a straight up tequila chaser.

I’ll bet’Gusto can find AA meetings in the basment of ‘Lupe’s church. I know a whole table of really kind (and very funny) people who are ready to believe the best of him if he heads over to the Patio of Lowered Expectations.

The Boring Tovars

Edmundo and Begonia have lunch. They flirt a bit before she starts mindlessly discussing town happenings . He still has feelings for her but he gets mad when her incessant gossiping brings Carmina. Augusto, etc. to their table. He gets mad and walks out of the restaurant. Big yawn.

One Line Songs

·      Ramona tells Paloma that she does not own Gael. He is not her property. I LOVE RAMONA.

·      Ingrid strolls her annoying assets back into the Blue House of Shame. Gabino and Ingrid fuss and fight about telling Gael about his father. If they do that  then she won’t get another cent out of Alfonsina.  Gabino, thinking back, perhaps, to his ass-chewing by Alfonsina earlier, says she is not going to get another cent out of Alfie anyway, but Damian will put out. Not while Alfonsina is alive….

·      Alfonsina and Flo gossip about Paolo having it bad for Carmina  Bouvier. Meanwhile Carmina has dinner with Guido and asks for his help. She cries and mumbles something about her marriage being ruined by Paolo.

·      Alfonsina recruits Chente to be her personal spy. He is to report all meeting of Damian and Elisa.

·      Meanwhile anvils line up as Lolita reminds Horacio that she knows almost nothing about him. He looks impactada and then tells her he has never been married. Why? Because he takes marriage very seriously. Run, Lolita, run!

Gael Asks Elisa to Be a Friend but Elisa is Still Being Written as Stoopid

Gael asks Elisa to talk to Damian about everything that is happening.  Elisa continues stoopid. She she tells him that she prefers Damian to continue to believe that she and Gael have a relationship.

Whaat? Honest to Gawd, people.  This isn’t just stupid, Elisa, it is downright mean. But Gael, who is supposed to be the rube here,  gets upset and tells Elisa that is unwilling to continue with this farce. I love Gael. He tells her he needs to mature, too. He won’t play her game. After all he has done for her she just wants to use him. Ouchee. That must really hurt.

Paloma’s SQUEE is Heard All the Way to Petaluma

Gael seeks Lupe’s advice because Gael is hopping mad.  He has feelings for someone who doesn’t correspond. Padre assures him that this has happened before and that Gael should move on.

Right at this moment, Paloma comes to see Gael for a talk. Paloma is confused. Damian and Elisa have told her two different stories—Dam told her that Gael and Elisa were novios. Elisa said this was not true. Gael tells her that Elisa told the truth. Gael and Elisa are NOT novios.

Paloma starts to cry. She wanted to believe Elisa. She has always been her friend.

Then she starts babbling  Does the girl have NO pride? I guess not…Well, after seeing the People in Español photo of Mark  I would probably grovel too, if a) My spoken Spanish were better, b) I was 30 years younger, c) and 30 pounds lighter. “At least you are free,” Paloma natters. “I wish I could respond”, he says gently. “Why can’t you try to see me with other eyes?” Paloma asks Gael to be given an opportunity as a NOVIA. After some wrinkling of his handsome brow he says yes, they're going to try! She SQUEES and kisses him full of happiness .......

Kenia Comes Calling For…Elisa

When ‘Gusto told Elisa that nothing is going on with Kenia, naïve Elisa says that she knows this (more stoopid from the bad writers) as she pledges her misguided loyalty to Augusto with a Buenos Dias and leaves his office to the front bell ringing.

She opens the door to Kenia who wants to see…ummm..yeah…Elisa. Yeah, she is worried about Elisa. No, of course the rumours are exxagerated, there is nothing going on. Oh, the scandal that Carmina is making.

Elisa says Augusto is in his study and doesn’t not want to see anyone. Maybe he’ll see Kenia? No, Kenia thinks that is a bad idea. Later, she calls him on the phone. He does not think they should talk. She is a minor! (Well. ‘Gusto, she was a minor in age when you kissed her in front of the Mayor, his Horse and everybody on the street last week! What were you thinking then????) He is not looking for any more problems in his life. Yep, Ingrid has him spooked. Guess he did not think much of that carcel chow.

Augusto runs into Camina as she comes in late. She tries to explain where she has been, but ‘Gusto is not interested. Desamor for sure.

Paolo Is A Loser Except When He Looks In Mirror

Moments after Augusto has bid Carmeana goodnight and headed to his room,  Paolo, who has been following Carmina,  tries to push right past Carmina into her house. (LOCK the door behind you, Carmina.) She resists him, calls him stupid, berates him and shoves him right out the front door. When he is not being a rapey-snake what does Paolo do?

Bereft, Paolo goes down to the Cantina and makes friends with a good looking bottle of tequila. They become intimate as he finishes at least one bottle and sleeps prettily at a table in the bar. His head is turned to the side and not face down with slack arms in ‘Gusto Catfood’s favorite overnight position. No, we in Vierville do not feel sorry for him as the proprietor offers him a cafecito with his bill as morning sun streams in through the bar’s open shutters.

The Tovar Family Sup Together

Begonia gets all dressed up for dinner at home with the whole family but Edmundo is delayed. It almost doesn’t happen.  At dinner Begonia had to stop Sabrina from gossiping for Edmundo’s sake. Edmundo doesn’t stay for dessert. Meh.

Guido and Alfonisina Breakfast Together

They talk about Paolo’s problems with Carmina and Guido’s recent meeting with the Tiny Brown Recluse. Alfie wants to know why Guido did not trust her with this information before.

Guido is worried about Paolo. He is obsessed with this woman, Carmina. When their parents died, he tells Alfie, he felt responsible for Paolo, his little brother. If Paolo goes back to Mexico he, Guido, will go with him.

La Procesadora

Thirty second shot of peppers being processed in a machine. Really eats up the screen time. Damian and anf Flo walk in to the office. Damian has a visitor waiting. It is Elisa!

Elna June
June 12, 2012
Happy Birthday Margaret!





Labels:


Comments:
Hola, amigos. I could not help myself. When the doldrums hit, my mind starts racing...and I am off.

First I had to try to imagine an answer to the question, why do we have to have doldrums in telenovelas anyway?

Then I remembered that earlier I had promised lyrics to a country song to NM and Sylvia just to liven things up a bit.

Don't look at me if you are humming King of the Toads for a few days. One of you, I am pretty sure it was Sylvia, had me sing a Partridge Family song, "I Think I Love You" in line at Trader Joes the other day. What is this world coming to?

EJ
 

EJ, what a TERRIFIC intro. You have an incredible gift for creating personalities and back stories for our characters and now even our writers. Well done! I was singing "King of the Road" as I read your recap. Wait, and then I got the lyrics. Bonus!

There were too many hilarious comments for me to list them all, but I was quite fond of "Paloma’s SQUEE is Heard All the Way to Petaluma". I also liked "The Boring Tovars". They really are, aren't they?

Actually, I was embarrassed for Paloma. She needs to take Anon207's advice and not behave so desperately clingy.

Answer: When Paolo is not being a rapey snake he is being pathetic. Or lazy. Or drunk. Did I get it right?

Oh boy, more slaps ahead.

I always feel I should comment more about the details of your recaps, but I get so mesmerized reading them that I just can't break away from the flow. All I can say is bless you and thank you for taking us out of the doldrums. Now excuse me while I go back to singing "King of the Toads".
 

Elna June: Masterful. I avidly read every word. Who could not with a delightful recap beginning with "Deep in the bowels". I just loved this. It was witty and great fun! Simply marvelous.

Too many favorites but I will single out: "Ingrid strolls her annoying assets", "Paolo Is A Loser Except When He Looks In Mirror" (lol) and "Bereft, Paolo goes down to the Cantina and makes friends with a good looking bottle of tequila" as superb.

Hate Ingrid but loved how she called Augusto to task. He and Kenia are just plain wrong.

ITA that Paloma is pathetic. Sweet but sad. She forced Gael into entering a relationship his heart is not in. This cannot end well. Paloma should have listened to "she who knows all" - Ramona.

Thanks again Elna June - this was fabulous.

Diana
 

I hope somebody at Televisa reads this site. They really need to be hauled up short over illogical plot twists and character changes.

Good stuff, Elna June!
 

Wow, EJ! I'm glad the doldrums inspire you to such heights of creativity! I can't believe you delivered the complete (and hilarious) lyrics to King of the Toads in addition to the fascinating background deep in the bowels of Televisa. I could so see and hear that ancient PC LOL! And then there was still the delicious recap to enjoy.

My hat is off to you!
 

Just amazing. I am in awe. And I'm emotionally attached to our poor little praying writer. That was just wonderful. Very vivid.

Maybe it was a throw away line but "Desamor for sure" really had me laughing.

Kudos to the King of the Toads. Is it just me, or does the crack come and go? Last night while he was seeing Carmina clearly and asking for a separation, I couldn't see the broken lens at all. *shrugs* It's probably just me.

The Tovars are boring, but I like Doc e Hijo a lot.
 

EJ- I love it when you get bored because it pushes you to new heights and results in recapping GOLD. I loved every word.

The only good thing that happened last night was Gael telling Elisa he wasn't playing her game anymore and that she needs to talk to the hand, uh, I mean Damian. I bet she still won't tell him the whole truth.
 

Absolutely Brilliant! And yes, now I have the melody for King of the Toad stick in my head, but it was worth it to read your hysterical take.

Better than yesterday as far as action, but boy, can Pal become any more patheitc? Of course, Gael is just reacting afte letting Elisa have it ( I LOVE HIM!!) I agree, this won't end well and just can't see these two as an end game right now. (I also just don't get "sparks" with them on screen---maybe it's the pathetic coming out)

Elisa-- I swear, she should try out for the nerxt installment of Clueless".

Previews look good. Paolo needs to make his existence here worthwhile and cause Creamsicle some problems. And another slap. They are coming fast and frequent. I say we may to start a scoring contest to see who rocks the slap concession.
 

Sorry for the spelling errors. I am babysitting an 8 week old kitten who thinks the laptop is a toy - try to tyoe and shoo kitty off at the same time. (Plus she likes dancing on the keys...)
 

Oh Elna June...words fail me. Your writing skills and imagination have certainly perked up those of us stuck in the stoopid doldrums. It's tough to be emotionally invested in a story when the two main characters are (currently) so unlikable and off-putting.

For that reason, I actually found the Tovar drama interesting. Begoñia is trying to lure Doc back by prettying herself up, when what she really needs to do is change her small gossipy obsessions into a larger more generous vision of life. She keeps crashing and burning but hasn't yet figured out what she needs to do to make the relationship work. I found this rather fascinating..and all too true to life.

But not nearly as fascinating as your incredible story/recap which was so clever and so captivating. You make reading recaps a delightful adventure. Gracias amiga mia.
* * *

@Sara...Just found your Deep South Vegan blog. Very excited! I'm an omnivore but we mostly eat at home and that is vegan. I follow McDougall recipes mostly or just throw together my own, but delighted to find you're in that camp. Have never tried quinoa flakes but your apple confection sounded so good, I might...
 

Brilliant just brilliant! When is the back-story novel coming out? I'm soo glad that the writers put the Kenia/Assg tale to rest, at least for a while. Your writer (deep in the bowels) must have seen viewerville cringing and gagging every time those two kissed or even talked to each other. Again, brilliant, and thanks.

Yola
 

LOL, JudyB-sadly I don't update it very much. I am not much of a cook, but I make a mean oatmeal. And pancakes.

Also, you are so right about being invested in a story and having main characters that are unlikable. That's why I am so grateful for Lolita, Padre, Gael, Ramona, Kenia...heck even Gab, ING and Fina. They are interesting characters/storylines.

Now about Horacio--he disappointed me last night. He was pushy and we got a hint that it's a one way relationship as far as information goes.

Daisynjay-KITTEH!!!! *ahem* Anyhoo, I agree that there just doesn't seem to be any spark between Gael and Paloma and maybe that speaks for the acting. Livia Brito is playing it as pathetic right now and Mark Tacher is brilliantly playing it as rebound/trying to forget. Since chemistry is a two way street that may be the reason we see no sparks. I'm going to assume that this is how it is supposed to look right now and hope it gets better. If it doesn't, they might as well put her with Quique. I know both actors are capable of making sparks fly.
 

@Sara...I'd love to know what led you to veganism but this is very off-topic for our line. Write to me, if you have time...judithbackoff46@gmail.com
 

Stuff we learned in this episode:

Begoña learned her gossip girl ways makes Edmundo stay away.

Augusto learned he's going to have to take a bunch of cold showers.

Elisa learned Augie wants to kick Carmina to the curb.

Carmina learned Paolo is a persistent little bugger.

Chente learned it pays to be a spy.

Elisa learned Gael is tired of her $#*!, go play games with Damian, leave him out of it.

Gael learned if you can't love the one you want, love the only one left.

We learned Paloma is truly pathetic. Get some dignity!
 

Elna June: I read every word of your brilliant recap and introduction. Thank you.

Yes, Paloma came across as scarey pathetic last night, and Gael as the handsome, intelligent hero. He puts his older brother to shame at least I think Damian is older).

At least Damian turned his head away when Clingwrap went in for a kiss at the procesadora. If Maru had waited one second more, Cling would have been out the door. Speaking of a girl with no pride, Cling and Pal are in a tie for the winner's cup.
 

Elna June - wonderful recap and more entertaining than the episode. Your "King of the Toads" is excellent. Thank you!
And so, now we have obligatory screenwriter crying scenes? (BuaHahahahaaaa)

Dam is doing his best ping pong ball impersonation, and DamFlo are back "on". Gah...

Kenia cooks? Nice apartment she has courtesy of Alfonsina's money. So, the under-age minor cooks, manages her own money, etc.... probably survival skills learned thanks to her non-mom Ingrid.


"When he is not being a rapey-snake what does Paolo do?"
Yay, a pop test! LOL My entries:
1. Nothing at his so-called job, and
2. Lives the life of a parasite
3. Feels sorry for himself because his luuuuurrrve is not being reciprocated.

Sara - that broken lens does seem to come and go on my TV screen, too. Sometimes I think it's the lighting and camera angle.
BTW - There is a fantastic Oatmeal Pancakes recipe in the Laurel's Kitchen cookbook.

Guido could stop enabling Paolo for a change, and let him suffer some consequences. Looks like he's getting close to that point.
 

"Gael learned if you can't love the one you want, love the only one left."
Thanks Anon207. LOL Now I'll be hearing that Stephen Stills song in my head for the rest of the day.
;o)
 

ELISA V.O.

So OK, you're probably thinking, "Is this, like a telenovela, or what?!" But seriously, I actually have a way normal life for a 20something girl. I mean I get up, I brush my teeth, and I cry all day.

Daddy's a mean drunk. Those are the scariest kinds of drunks. Even Lolita, our maid, is terrified of him. He's so mean he lets our lands & crops go to ruin just to fight with people, but he fights with me for free 'cause I'm his daughter.

ELISA

PaPa!

AUGUSTO

Elisa, please don't start with claiming you're not a ho again.

ELISA

Daddy, you need your vitamin C. And I don't mean Tia.

AUGUSTO

Where's my shotgun?

ELISA

It's been a couple of months now, so I say we go out to Merida.

AUGUSTO

Don't tell me those braindead low-lifes have been calling again.

ELISA

They are Gael, Padre and Lucio. And don't try sneaking out to the cantina. Dr. Tovar is coming by to give you a flu shot.

AUGUSTO

Oh, Damian is in town. Don't invite him by for dinner.

ELISA

Why?

AUGUSTO

Because he's the son of the man who stole your mother away from me!

ELISA

But that was fifteen years ago. Why do I have to avoid Damian?

MEL

You hate the wives, and their children.

ELISA

Here.

AUGUSTO

Forget it!
 

O.M.G. Tracy! I am dazzled! Literally. (NM pauses, fumbles blindly for her shades and then continues on her skittish pc, hoping to burn and then crash and not vice-versa.)

And I just love how you blur the lines between the actors and their roles (For example, it is Carmina, not Sabine, who attacks the hapless continuity girl; but it is Angelique with the miracle tear ducts.)

The Televisa “writer” and his desperation are now clear as cleavage. And I’m not just talking habaneros here. I bet that passive-aggressive screen-writer named Lolita “Lolita” just so we couldn’t call Kenia by that name in our blog. (Or that’s what the voices in the fillings in my teeth keep saying.) But he can’t keep us from referring to our cracked, myopic rabo verde as Humbert Humbert (Umberto Umberto? Disgust Disgust?)

King of the Toads, indeed. So yesterday’s poetry was just a warm-up for our resident genius. What’s next? Now that Alfonsina seems to have a target on her back (she stands inconveniently between Ingrid and big bucks. bwahahaha.)? Perhaps –

♪♪Who’ll cry for you Alfonsiiiiina♪♪
♪♪Except for your plaaaaastic surgeon ... ♪♪
 

The one interesting aspect of Gael caving to Pal and willing to TRY to be novio's is that it implodes what Elisa told Dam. How soon will he find out? Will it be AFTER he decides to go back to do the horizontal with Flo? If not, it's just too soon to have him think Elisa was covering and that they would get back togther...something has to happen to keep them apart I'm betting.

And I'll bet my bottom dollar right now that Pal and Gael don't work, or something breaks them up as well. Maybe that's why we see him alone at the end of the credits.
 

Very clever and hilarious Elna June. So now Augusto has his own theme song? Thanks. What next, his own line of grooming products?

I missed some of this last night because of some violent storms here (we were still with electricity when we left this morning), but it looks like Augusto didn't show back up at Kenia's... drink up everyone here at the Augusto table.

I was very worried for Kenia last night. It looked like she had left the front door open. Fortunately, only Ingrid showed up.

I'm pulling for the Tovars to reunite. Begoña really is making an effort.

Carlos
 

I know, Daisy -- next TN, let's have "slap bingo." We'll just fill in the names of all the female characters in random order and take our chances.
 

First thing I thought of when I woke up this morning..."King of the Toads". I salute you again with my morning tea. You sure know how to spin a great tale.

By the way, I forgot to ask, who is Margaret?
 

Slap Bingo, bwahahaha! What a great idea.
 

EJ! Brilliant!

The poor scribe's lament, the King of the Toads song, the reminder of Mark T's shower pose, all these make for one helluva recap!

Thank you

R la O
 

" slap bingo"-- I am definitely onboard for that!!!!
 

" slap bingo"-- I am definitely onboard for that!!!!
 

Awesome recap, EJ! Not familiar with the song but the whole intro was a great fun read…

I love Gael. He tells her he needs to mature, too. He won’t play her game. After all he has done for her she just wants to use him.
I think he said he also needs to mature because right before that he told her that regardless, he did enjoy/feel their kiss… so he admitted that he participated in it, but he wants no part of it anymore… ITA with everyone that this sequence of scenes (Gael and Elisa, then Pal and Gael) made Pal look Extremely pathetic, Elisa look extremely clueless/shallow and Gael extremely mature and sensible.

Well, after seeing the People in Español photo of Mark, I would probably grovel too, if a) My spoken Spanish were better, b) I was 30 years younger, c) and 30 pounds lighter. .. Ditto! Except for me my spanish is fine, agewise its more like 20 yrs and 50 lbs.

After some wrinkling of his handsome brow he says yes, they're going to try! She SQUEES and kisses him full of happiness .......
Whoa! That was such a fun scene… he gives her a ‘blink and you missed it’ kiss on lips and she begins to whine ‘Noo… not like that…‘ and she gives him a longer kiss, where his eyes are wondering around as if saying ‘whoa!… what is going on?...’ and then he looks at her and asks her ‘ooookkkk… now what?..’ WTH!!! really, Gael?... you need to ask her? Of course she will ask you to walk her home… and get ready to do it every night… and possibly now you will get her to stop by each morning to ask you to walk her to work too… she did it before, didn’t she?

I, too, was quite fond of "Paloma’s SQUEE is Heard All the Way to Petaluma". I also liked "The Boring Tovars". Yes, they really are.
Also ‘Paolo is a loser except when he looks in the mirror’… sour grapes indeed.

Anon, loved ‘augusto will have to take a bunch of cold showers..’
 

Elna June, you set the bar very high for the recappers. Great job. I'm happy with just the simple synopsis, but this change of pace is very nice. I'm glad you explained why the Elisa cries so much. Now it makes sense.

I really hope that Augusto stays away from Kenia. Even after she turns 18. She's still too young.

So are we going to have an on again, off again thing between Damian and Elisa for this entire TN? I hate it when the stories are like that. It gets old real fast.
 

in that scene between Elisa and Augusto at the beginning of last night's ep, i was asking myself... who is whose parent here?... lol
 

I would probably grovel too, if a) My spoken Spanish were better, b) I was 30 years younger, c) and 30 pounds lighter. .. Ditto! If we could half my age (and weight) Gael would have two perfectly serviceable 'Emilias' who would fight tooth and nail over him! heehee...
Thanks, EJ, this recap was soooo much fun. Not likin' the TN all that much but the recaps and comments more than make up for that poor hack's midnight scribblings in the bowels of Televisa
 

EJ, just spectacular! You should just spend your whole life in the doldrums if this type of creativity is the result! What surprises me is that you chose psych instead of creative writing! Everyone recapper here should have book deals!

As I was walking past Casa Castiga last night I heard Augusto singing a short refrain in response to EJ’s “King of the Toads.” His feelings are hurt, he knows his looks are at least part of the problem!


It’s Not Easy Being Green:

It’s not easy being green
Having to spend each day old and mean
I think it would be nicer being ripped and blond
Or something much more colorful from my pond!


I am very worried about Kenia as well. She has had the toughest upbringing of anyone and yet she is anything but pathetic, she is STRONG. I’m going to be super mad if the writers so anything to her character!

In Saturday Night Fever, Tony told Annette, who was a little like Paloma, that girls have to make the decision if they are going to be good girl or bad, (cleaning up the quote a bit!) Paloma needs to make that decision as well. Gael is the type of guy that might not respect her in the morning!
 

Good Morning Everyone:

Thank you—Sylvia, Diana, Urban Anthropologist, Audrey, Sara, Vivi, daisynjay, yola, Pasofino, Doris, Novela Maven, Carlos, R la O, Cathy X, Emilia and Marta—for your kind words. I am so pleased when my words amuse or entertain.

Anon: 207: Your list today was very good. I especially liked this-
'Gael learned if you can't love the one you want, love the only one left'. Nice wording, that.

Sylvia: Bingo! You win the prize on Paolo's behavioral possibilities.

Ah, amiga Vivi, you know me so well. When I get bored when the TN story as written, then all bets are off. Plus, ITA, Elisa will not tell Damian the whole truth. Sadly, her learned behaviors are to manipulate and lie and it will take a while for her to un-learn what have been survival skills in that horribly dysfunctional household.

I know it sounds obvious, but Augusto having shot Damian is the most recent of the sad events that have befallen Elisa. Because she has a never-ending neurotic need for Daddy-approval, she has had to choose between her lover and her father and she chose the unattainable, her father. Now that her sworn enemy, Alfonsina, has the goods on Augusto by holding Elisa's lands hostage, Elisa is well and truly trapped. As long as Augusto's alive, I don't see her being a trustworthy partner for Damian. And I do not see Augusto going the way of all catfood until his comeuppance in the Final Final. Can't imagine how our sad little writer is going to get Elisa out of this one, but as, UA said, they have played havoc with the original character of our characters on this novella, so ¿Quien sabe?

EJ
 

Elna June, not watching the novela, but I sure loved your intro!!! So very funny. I salute you!
 

Hey, Sara, it is not just you! The crack in the glasses is like a hole between the worlds, it appears and disappears with the scene.

That's why I set a table up for those twin Film Profs at fine schools on opposite coasts to discuss the meaning inherent in such a visual motif as 'broken lens on glasses'.

EJ
 

On Paloma:

What if her tactic, pathetic clingyness, works? Gael is the ultimate nice guy and now he is going to try a relationship because she kept asking? I don't know, folks, but I am impressed.

She is a gorgeous girl. What if he kinda likes it?

EJ
 

Blue and Cap'n:

I am down for slap bingo.

Margaret is my best friend. She is a brilliant writer and the best poet I have ever known. Yesterday was her 61st birthday.

EJ
 

"That's why I set a table up for those twin Film Profs at fine schools on opposite coasts to discuss the meaning inherent in such a visual motif as 'broken lens on glasses'."
---
Ah. Well color me dense! ;-)

Slap bingo--I'm in!!! What's on tap for Univision. Por Ella Soy Eva doesn't look very slappy.
 

Sandy:

I love Augusto's refrain. I am humming, "It's not easy being green...". Big grin...

Sandy and Carlos and Cynder + all those at the Augusto Table: I want you guys to note that I jumped with hopeful joy for Augusto for a while last night when I saw that he was finally gonna dump Carmeana. That is a HUGE leap forward for Augusto and for mankind.

You might want to get to working on the hair products though. That could take awhile. Big hug and a grin.

EJ
 

Carlos:

Do tell me that you and the lovely Linda are safe. I hope you have electricity back. The violent weather that you have in the South terrifies me.

EJ
 

Thanks Elna June. We are safe, but on the way home yesterday afternoon we had to pull off into a neighborhood and wait until one of the severe storms passed over... blinding rain, 60 mph winds, and of course plenty of lightning and thunder. At times it felt like the car was going to blow away with us inside. Sad thing was, we had just earlier passed by Janie's, a bar owned by one of my patients.

On the news the night before the prediction was a 10% chance of scattered showers for the afternoon.

Carlos
 

Caray Caray writers don't just recap - they compose world class essays! The quality of work on this specific novella has been way above a pretty high standard. Are you channeling the spirits of Irma Bombeck and Art Buchwald?
 

1001 Chloe Nights:

Squee. OMG, I love your handle. I am a word geek. I squee over words, in several languages.

Thanks you for your kind words. On behalf of our recapping crew here on Abismo—Sara, Novela Maven, Marta Ivett, Cynderella la Novia de GABINA MENDOZA, The Cap'n of our fine ship—Syvia Sharkbait—and myself, Elna June Sonoma. All of us recappers work hard here at Caray Caray, esp those of us who have to recap those crazy 2 hour Televisa schedules.

Please do join us for comments. We have a grand time over here.

Kind Regards,

EJ
 

1001 Chloe Nights:

I just love Erma Bombeck and Art Buchwald. Big Grin!

EJ
 

Elna June, I am not watching this TN often but your recap might be the best & funniest thing I have read in a long time. Laughed out loud on your observation of the glasses. Televisia should be hiring the Caray Caray recappers for TN writers because all of you make them fun AND understandable:)
 

Thanks, Maureen! So glad you enjoyed the recap. It was very fun to write.

Do keep commenting!

Grins,

EJ
 

Elna June, we are not worthy of your skills, as you give us the hilarious writer's world within the twisted Televisa world. I could see it and hear it all so clearly...would love to read the occasional update on our hapless writer. Especially since our TN crew is being so hopeless.

Loved "King of the Toads" as well. I truly rely on the recaps for this one to fill in the bits and pieces I catch on screen. DZ doesn't work that well for me as a galan. He has a prissy little mouth and lacks a certain ease demeanor. I like Mark Tacher much better.

La Paloma
 

EJ,

I can't even find the words to compliment you in a manner worthy of that post. If I were an English teacher I would give it an A+++. All of you recappers are so darn witty! Just when I think a recap can't get funnier, it does!

Anon 207, you should recap as well!

Thanks for making me laugh today!!

Katy
 

La Paloma- I love "little prissy mouth". DZ better give me the chance to use it in a recap!
 

1001 Chloe Nights, welcome. We channel many spirits here! If you watch all the series you'll see some unexpected ones.

Assgusto, you should be locked up; Kenia is younger than your own daughter!
 

Indeed, yes, Urban Anthropologist.

Didn't I just see you over in a corner of the Patio enjoying a glass of dry sack with Christopher Marlowe?

EJ
 

Welcome 1001 Chloe Nights!!

La Paloma, kudos to you amiga for describing DZ's mouth just perfectly. I have been thinking and thinking why it bugs me. You hit the nail on the head. I'm laughing really hard right now.
 

Yes. I have a date with the three Brontes later for sherry!
 

Check out Clutch Cargo on YouTube. It's always what I think of when I see DZ's mouth.

Here's a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MHg1-mpcUY

It's probably just me. I'm weird.
 

Bwahahaha! Those old Clutch Cargo cartoons always completely weirded me out. They still do.

Now it is no longer you, thanks for that. No comment on your last observation.
 

So not only am I thinking of poor DZ in his yellow undies, now he has a Clutch Cargo mouth. The poor guy can't catch a break.
 

And his lips *always* look chapped, don't they?
 

Now I keep chanting "prissy mouth prissy mouth DZ is a prissy mouth" in my head!
 

Sara! You and La Paloma are killing me here.
 

EJ, this was a knock-em-dead recap -- truly a masterpiece. I'm sorry I couldn't comment at length because I was in a meeting all day, but I did enjoy surreptitiously peeking at it at regular intervals. It was VERY hard not to laugh out loud.
 

Wow. The comments today are almost as good as that incredible EJ recap. Clutch Cargo prissy mouth with yellow underwear. DZ is dead to me now.
 

Ok, everyone. Close your eyes. Picture DZ in yellow skivvies and Clutch Cargo prissy mouth. Now imagine him tossing take-out food clear of the kitchen island and jumping on top of it and proclaiming his love for the wall....
 

EJ posting late but wanted to commend you on a brilliant recap. Your creativity is wonderful!
 

Thanks Dear Karen,

Great to see you. Glad you enjoyed the 'cap. Hope all is well with you .

EJ
 

Wow, Sara, that is quite the disturbing mental image of DZ. That romancing the wall scene is one of my favorite unintentional comedy bits ever. I still like him though; he is welcome on my screen anytime (unless he's blocking my view of someone I like better).
 

Please know that I heart DZ!
 

I love DZ. I think the writers here have given him very little to work with. Really, I can only recall a couple of chewy scenes-- the one with Alfie comes to mind where he told her he needed to be in La Ermita after his Dad died. He needed his Mom. I thought he knocked that out of the park.

I want some relationship building scenes between Dam and Lis. Let's see them act, not just stare, glare or grope. Bring it.

EJ
 

Well said my dainty-toed amiga. DZ is doing well with what he's been given so far.
 

I am new here and I need to know what is caray,caray's email is. Just wanna know if Amor Real will be on her blog.
 

Hi tessanoel. It's doubtful that Amor Real will be recapped here because it originally aired before this blog site began. However every chapter is recapped on the Telenovela Foro site, you can find them here: Episodes 1-63,
Episodes 64-95.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder