Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Por ella soy Eva #3 7/18/12

We open with a little recap of Juan Carlos doing some heavy foreshadowing... "Me? See the world from a woman's point of view? What is she smoking?"

Helena goes to her kid's school to console him. The other kids have been teasing him about his absentee father, and he got roughed up a bit. A triple scratch on his cheek makes it look like maybe a squirrel attacked him. What kind of school is he attending?


Anyway, she brings him to the friends-house-cum-travel-agency. She tells the him that grandpa can't know about about the business (because she payed for it by taking out a mortgage on his house without his knowledge).

Plutarco's bimbo gets his car in a fender-bender. He is quite displeased by what she had described as some lil rasguncitos (smashed-in-headlights), but all is mostly smoothed over by plans of a jacuzzi "business meeting" for the two of them when he gets a call from his wife the whale who is feeling fatal and must see him immediately. Wuh-woh! But when he gets there he finds that she's not literally dying. He looks momentarily disappointed before he remembers that she's his link to 40% of grupo imperial. Apparently her malaise was not physical. She was waiting for him and he was late. It's about their relationship - he's never there and she wants divorce. This time he remembers the shares immediately, and falls to his knees begging for another chance to show her romance.

Helena does her own share of foreshadowing, joking with her friend about what she'll do when her "hombre ideal" shows up. Cue Juan, who bursts into the agency for his meet cute. He's dressed absurdly, with a little kerchief about his neck and a silly shirt. He clonks heads with Helena about 3 times, she drops her stuff, their eyes meet, the whole deal! She wonders who he is. Him: "Yo soy Juan........ uh........ PERON [emphasis mine]...... de Argentina"[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!] I laugh out loud. I was surprised that my mom didn't recognize the name (Juan Peron, immensely popular, immensely devastating beloved/hated populist autocratic president of Argentina off-and-on for several decades with an exile before the third term), but it's a real crackup. And his fake accent really made me giggle. He claims to be representing a bus of tourists arriving to D.F. in an hour and desperately in need of a tour guide. She says she's a bit rusty but agrees to give it a go.


Somehow, he came up with a bus full of people for her to guide. Maybe it was just some random tour bus. They give the tour together, are super cute, and even dance up top of the double-decker bus! We see many sights, but where's the tower they always include in every telenovela shot of Mexico city? They get off. He praises her tour guiding talents and tries to find out about her beach development project. He will continue his investigations when he takes her out to a fancy dinner tonight, ostensibly to discuss her leading more buses. I love the way he's stumbling at trying to figure out the "vos" form in his fake Argentinian accent.

Then Juan discusses the situation with his bud, who sees her as just another one of Juan's dames and wants to know if she's plebian, cortesana, o marquesa (some kind of chauvinist/bro-vinist classification spectrum).

At dinner, Juan is smitten by Helena, though she looks kinda like she did this afternoon. He falls all over her. "I don't drink," she says, but his plan was to get her drink, so uh-oh. I love watching him squirm when she gripes about that bastard Juan at grupo imperial who trashed her project and fired her for being a woman.

Plutarco's makeup romantic dinner, to which he conveniently accidentally invites his boss (so he can puppet-master his wife into asking her brother for some shares for Plutarco). He pushes the unhealthy stuff on his wife - she'll have the ribs AND the shrimp fountain! A shrewd boss (Adrian?) won't talk business, and frowns at Plutarco as the beloved whale (man, the fat jokes are getting old quick) smears her face with rib sauce.

Juan Peron wants to  dance. Isn't it funny that he will change his identity into Eva from Juan Peron? Just as Eva Peron (remember Evita) picked up the populist mantle from her dead husband? As they dance Juan grabs her butt and tries his line, but she slaps him and storms out. But before making it to the door she sees Plutarco at his table and flips out (remember, she got the identities mixed up, because Plutarco was the only executive upstairs when she led her woman-revolution up there for the attack.

Juan tries to defuse her. He says HE will talk to them, and hauls her back to the table to try and fix everything. Awesome cliffhanger!


Then the avances show us nothing new - more like a preview of what they'll show in the in the recap tomorrow at 8:00 PM. Tune in!

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks for the recap, Ezra. Nice job!

Heads up, everyone. No Eva Thursday. Pre-empted by Premios. So the next cap is Friday.

I noticed several little things.

1. When the three stooges are eating their pulled pork sandwiches in somebody's office, I think JC calls Santiago "Babalouie," as in Huckleberry Hound's sidekick. I know Pluto called Santi "Louie" but I could swear JC said "Babalouie."

2. Rebeca's damage to Pluto's car. How is it physically possible to break a headlight, yet not even scratch the bumper, when the bumper sticks out farther than the headlight???

3. Helena tidies the new office and straightens the picture of the upright Tower of Pisa! We only saw it for an instant, but as far as I could tell, it wasn't leaning!

4. Helena's unbrushed hair is really starting to bother me. I guess someone plans to be lazy when we get to the stage, "Heroine's life changes so she changes her hair style" - she'll get to use a hairbrush!

5. I caught another three shout-outs to Camil's other TN's -
A. His best bud's are named Fernando and Santiago, the names of his characters in Fea and Tontas.
B. JC's alter-ego is from Argentina, which is where Camil's last TN, Los Exitosos Perez, was filmed. Of course, Mexicans love to make fun of Argentinians.
C. When they were leading the bus tour, did you notice the song? "La vida da sorpresas."
 

I loved this line Ezra: "... wants to know if she's plebian, cortesana, o marquesa (some kind of chauvinist/bro-vinist classification spectrum)." Awesome!

Thanks for the explanation of Juan Peron (I knew that name seemed familiar!) and the funny link to the Eva name, of course! I'm impressed that you realized JC was mangling the vos/os usage. I just noticed that the captions converted (v)os to tu (so the Mexicans viewers wouldn't be confused LOL!).
 

Thanks, Audrey! I think we're in for a fun one here...
 

Thanks, Ezra. I always have a bit of trouble at the beginning of new TNs and you filled in a lot of blanks. I like Camil, but his manic energy does leave one kinda drained...
 

Thanks, Ezra! I'm still having a little trouble sorting everyone out in this one.

I did notice that JC's apartment (or is it Fernando's? the apartment they were in, anyway) is in the same building Mariano and Fernando from Teresa lived in! Maybe JC will run into Teresa and she'll chew him up and spit him out. It would serve him right.

I agree the fat jokes are getting old. And why do they make the large ladies such slobs? It was the same way with Marianela in LldA--she always had food on her face. Gross. It made no sense in LldA because Marianela was raised by nuns at a schmancy boarding school and surely would have had better manners drilled into her, and in this show Antonia seems like a more elegant, polished sort of woman. Surely she wouldn't eat that way.

I loved the Argentinean act and the outfit.
 

Thanks so much Ezra. Greta recap! I can already tell you like this so much better than the dramas with all the crying. I'm not paying 100% attention to this one yet, so I appreciate the recaps all the more.

I was liking the way they were portraying Plutarco's wife (what is her name?) this episode, until they showed her with all the sauce all over her face. Just because the woman is heavy and also likes food, doesn't mean she's a slob. Jeez!
 

Julia- Ha! Our comments crossed and obviously we were thinking the same thing about Antonia (that's her name!).
 

Here are the character names. Some, like Mimi, we haven't met yet.

Plutarco: . . . VP of Finance of Groupo Imperio.
Rebeca: . . . Plutarco’s mistress
Angélica: . . . Rebeca’s best friend. Santiago’s ex-novia.
Antonia: . . . Plutarco’s wife. Holds 40% share of GI.
Adriano: . . . Antonia’s brother. President of GI.

Juan Carlos (Camil): . . . VP of Opns of GI.
Fernando: . . . Juan’s buddy (the short one). Wife is Marcela. Children: Jennifer & Kevin
Santiago: . . . Juan’s buddy (the fair-haired one). Engaged to Patricia, who manipulates him. Ex is Angélica who wants security.

Modesto & Eugenia: . . . Juan Carlos’s parents. Eugenia: developing dementia
Mimi: . . . Owns apartment house. Creates Eva

Helena (Lucero): . . . Runs travel agency. Single mother to Lalito.
Silvia & Eduardo: . . . Helena’s parents. Lalito’s grandparents.
Lucía: . . . Helena’s best friend
 

Ezra wonderful funny recap. Loved it from start to finish. I really like Antonia. She is just wanting Plutarco's attention, and he is such a putz. I don't like his little bit on the side, Rebecca. She is available to anyone, jus' sayin'.

I do love the coincedence with Juan Peron and Evita, too funny. Since I only know Mexican accents, I wondered why JC's accent was a little off, lol. I do like JC's sidekicks they are too funny.

I hope Antonia continues to hold the maybe divorce over Plutcaro's head. He should be dancing to her tune. I hope she NEVER gives him her shares. He would leave her in the dust in a heartbeat.

Liking Helena too. What is her assistant's name? I don't like Helena's father though. Just cause she's a woman she can't do anything. I hope she shows him up. Did he find out last night, that Helena's mama got a mortgage on the house and gave the money to Helena? He sure was pithed.
 

Thanks Paula our comments crossed. Now I can see who is who.
 

Oh, I mixed up Fernando and Santiago in my earlier comment, I guess. It was Santiago in the apartment with JC.

Eduardo had better be careful, or one of these days he might end up stabbed and dismembered in his sleep...if he doesn't pickle himself in his own bile first.
 

Thank you for great recap. And for the names of each character.

I love this show, first time I ever heard Lucero speak english.

I would like to know what makes Eduardo be such a putz. But then again I got confused as to why he was waiting up for Helena, does he care about her or does he feel a need to yell at her. I don't get him.

I love the 3 Amigos, and I hope they keep their banter going even when he becomes Eva. I love Helena and Lucia also, and Silvia.

I have to agree on Rebecca, too much too soon, does she know how to use the word no?
 

Ezra - thanks a bunch.

Juan Carlos doing an Argentine accent was a hoot. I wonder if Eva will have an accent too, or maybe she'll miraculously assimilate to a Mexican one.

I too disliked Antonia having sauce on her face. But this was an opportunity to show her brother's affection for her as he wiped it off and Plutarco's cold heart as he just ignored it.
 

Thank you for the great recap! And good one about Edwardo being pickled in his own bile. I think he also slammed his wife for not having a varon. And at his tailors shop he seemed angry that Helena came to pick up her own child. Probably he wants more time with the kid to mold him into his own image.
But back to the comedy. Oh yeah...Juan's face when Helena casually stated that she does not drink alcohol! And Hewey Duey and Lewey! They give me the giggles.
 

Notice that Pluto brought Antonia the 2 or 3 pound box of chocolate, not just a 1-lb box. He demeans her because she's fat, but he wants her to stay fat so other men won't chase her. Pigdog!

I think I know why Rebeca hit up JC. And not just because he's hot. Pluto won't leave his wife because of her shares in GI. He complained that Adriano offered shares to JC but won't let Pluto buy any. Rebeca realizes that JC might be more powerful in the company in the long run, and she follows the money.
 

Oooohhhhhh. I had wondered why Rebeca having worked there for some time would now hop-to-it with JC. But of course JC judging himself to be a woman-slayer who's using her is too conceited to consider she is using him!
 

Thanks, Ezra. Excellent recap--yo mama raised you right! Need the 'caps to help keep the fast paced action straight.

Helena's papa is a real SOB. He needs to lighten up just a little.

La Paloma
 

Thanks, Ezra! I do enjoy a good, concise recap.

Finally dawned on me last night that "tal Rebecca" looks a lot like an erstwhile soldier of the Symbiones Liberation Army for those old enough to remember.

Lucero seems to be enjoying herself more than she did in STuD. Maybe being an alpha bitc, er, duena, requires a more grim demeanor. Jaime Camil always seems to be having a good time. Unlike anyone in Abismo de Pasion. Can't wait for that to be over.

Adriano looks like guys his age looked back in the '50s. Hair wet combed straight back w/ ugly glasses.
 

Thanks, Ezra. And thanks to Paula, too. I really have been a bit mixed up as to who's who.

Bonney Churros - you're right, Eduardo the Grouch did say something to his wife like "this wouldn't have happened if you'd had a son." I really don't like that guy. At times it's seemed as though he might hit Helena or her mother.

As for Pluto trying to keep his wife fat - I think it might be more than that. I think he might actually be trying to kill her. I mean, not aggressively trying - there are faster ways to do it. But he does seem to be pushing her towards an early grave. And, again, her brother doesn't seem all that concerned.
 

Oh my gosh, looooooooooved this episode! JCs Argentinian accent was AWESOME (and really not that far off, even in exaggeration!), but I thought it was really interesting the shirts he picked out... is that really how Mexicans perceive Argentinian fashion?

I just adore Jaime Camil, even when I can't understand what the heck he's saying. Has he ever had a more serious role? I'm not sure I'd want to see that! He has got to be so much fun to work with!!

AnotherAmy
 

Amy, Camil's first two novelas were serious: Mi destino eres tú (with Lucero & Jorge Salinas), and Mujer de madera. They were before he really hit his stride as an actor. Since then, his four TNs have been comedies, as well as most of the movies he's done. You may want to check his movie "7 Dias." Light drama with a sprinkle of humor, and some of his best work (apart from Fea, of course).

As for the Argentinian accent, he spent about a year down there working on his last TN, Los exitosos Perez. During that time he played around alot with the accent. He also likes doing an exaggerated Brazilian accent (in Portuguese of course).
 

¡¡Hola, amiggies!!

I've been working on tonight's recap. I won't finish it tonight - I missed a big chunk in the middle due to a phone call and I'm dead tired so I'm going to have to watch the middle part tomorrow - but I wanted to just say this for now:

I haven't had this much fun recapping since 2007. I don't know if this TN is going to turn out to be as good as LFMB, but it might be as much fun.
 

I was having too much fun, so I finished it. It's up, anyway. There are a few more details I'd like to add when I have more time, but this will do for now.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder