Thursday, October 18, 2012

Abismo de pasión #149, 10/17/12: Emotional funeral for Pa'padre... But deep inside everything stays the same... except Ramona is ready to sing the opera!! needs a formal request from Queen Botox, though

Refrito:
Paloma seduces Gael in bed… and just when he is getting into the game(he is tired of the ‘let me play hard to get’ and joins her in the ‘operation skinny sheet-ing/nos estorbo la ropa’ game)….. RRRRIIINNNNGGGG!!!
Dam tells Gael they have to return to LaE. Gael immediately suspects something happened to Elisa (how original!!) but Dam clears that it is Lupe, Tio Lupe is dead!! (Gael gets instantly pale and unbalanced)
Elisa and Lolita barge into la quinta accusing Carmina that she killed Lupe…
Lo Nuevo:
Carmina(faking surprise to hear Lupe’s dead): ‘yo no se nada… yo llegue ahora mismo… y algo paso… yo no estaba ahi!!’ (sorry couldn’t resist, that is the lyrics of a song my dad loved… ‘I don’t know anything… I just got here and something had happened… I wasn’t there!’… anyway, back to the show) of course I deny it.
Elisa won’t stop there and also accuses her of killing Augie… Of course Carmina shoots back that Elisa killed MY son… Elisa says she is witness of Carmina kicking Lupe out of the quinta, and Lolita jumps in saying she is witness that Lupe suspected her of killing Augie… Carmina keeps denying denying… Elisa says don’t bother trying to convince me, you will have to convince the police… Gabino comes in saying ‘eeepale Caballo!!’ which is odd since Gael used to call Elisa ‘potranca’ (mare) himself. Anyway Elisa asks the cops to arrest Carmina but the cops tell Elisa they are not there to arrest Carmina but to tell them that they already have a suspect, Horacio, whose prints they found on the knife. He was also seen all bloody at the Arango hacienda. Lolita is in disbelief totally taken aback.
Braulio arrives at Inmundo/Enrique’s house to tell them Lupe was killed and will be watched at the church.
At Ramona’s we hear a door knock… (ok, it is a TN, it is a TN, why can't they be original and have someone arrive through the window on a parachute? or down the chimney)… it is … wait for it… wait for it…. The ANGEL of Lupe!! But Ramona does not know this… He is dressed in white (no blood anywhere), he gets confused at her whinning that she does not feel good, worried sick that Galoma won’t work as a marriage… Loopy tells her don’t loose the faith, there can be a miracle… Loopy won’t sit down, he seems in a hurry but has a very important task to assign Ramona. He is leaving town and there is nothing that can stop that train… but his mission must be completed… and he delegates the completion of his mission to her, ‘la elegida’ (the chosen one). She has to take the light of truth to the others, she has to clarify what happened… the only one that can do it is …you. (another knock on the door and Loopy is gone… Inmundo comes in to tell her about Lupe being killed). Ramona is totally taken aback. Elisa mad at Carmina that Gabino is there in same bed she shared with Augie… Carmina says mind your own business… Elisa says I don’t know your way of loving, you destroyed my father ever since you married him, turned him into a wasted drunk with your lies and the bitter life you gave him. Carmina pulls her ‘get out of jail free’ card, accusing Stefie, Elisa’s mom… The moment she ran away from here is the moment our lives turned for the worse. Elisa wants her to shut up. She won’t take her lies anymore, she is convinced Stefie is innocent and is growing convinced Augie did not kill himself. Carmina changes tactics and accuses Elisa and Lolita of bringing a murderer in ‘this house’. What if it was Horacio who killed Loopy? (Lolita looks scared at even the thought but she reminds Elisa the cops found his prints on the knife, and also he excaped prison to avoid his sentence, even Loopy suspected him… blames herself ‘es mi culpa mi nina’… Elisa tries to convince her of the contrary, takes Lolita away).
Carmina goes to bedroom… Carmina asks Gabino what will we do?? She is breaking the limits of loudness and that is enough to set off the migrains in Gabino. Gabino assures Carmina he cleaned the knife of her prints but does not know how Horacio’s prints got on it… Carmina tries to bring him into the equation as an accomplice.. Gabino says no you won’t take me down with you… Carmina assures him they all have info on him as well… Gabino gurgles/grunts in pain…
Damian and Lucio arrive at hacienda and a hysterical Tonia tells them about Horacio having been there and told Alfie the truth about Loopy. Tonia believes Horacio killed Loopy. Lucio gets startled, where is he!!!!?? Tonia says she called the police. Dam runs to find Alfie. She begs Dam to tell her it is not true, but after he confirms the tragedy, she assures him Horacio did not kill Lucio or wanted to hurt her, he only came to tell her about what happened to Loopy and that he could not do anything to prevent it. On the contrary, Horacio knows who killed Lupe but did not have time to tell her who it was. Where did it happen? How?? Dam won’t tell her because her heart can’t handle the truth. Alfie says she is fine, her pittpatt can handle it. Dam has no choice but to tell her Elisa and him found Loopy stabbed by Stefie’s grave. Alfie is devastated.
The funeral service at church. Everyone in white, you could easily run a detergent/Clorox commercial with this video… Ramona walks in a packed church, then Maru/Lucio/Carito, then Elisa and Lolita with Braulio.
Outside, Dam and Alfie walk toward the church… Alfie not a happy camper when she sees Elisa by the coffin, asks Dam ‘quitala!, he was my brother, it is my sorrow’. Dam responds ‘it is the whole town’s sorrow, mother’. Elisa walks away and Alfie approaches the coffin, which has a nice framed picture of Loopy on it. Dam sits down, crying a river, Alfie tells Loopy she will miss him (me vas a hacer mucha falta).
As Gael and Paloma make their way to church, Gael remembers some of our favorite scenes, when Loopy consoles kid Gael when he was upset he had no family, that even Paloma had her grandmother. But not him. Loopy says you got ME, mijito! (lets remember this, it will come up again later in episode when Dam/Gael talk). Then another scene where Gael asks Loopy how he will afford his school supplies. Loopy tells him leave that to me. And the playful hand games they played… (we come back to current time with Gael upset, but holding back the tears and managing to walk ever so slowly toward church).
Paloma comes to hug him from behind ‘I am here with you and won’t leave you alone. You have to say goodbye to him.’ Gael agrees. Gael and Paloma approach the coffin, Alfie is still there… Gael has one final memory scene, where adult Gael told Loopy that ‘you have not only been the priest who picked him up at the door of the church, you have been my ‘papa, the best papa in the world’…
Gael approaches the coffin, tells Alfie ‘Senora, would you allow me? I know he was your brother, but he was everything for me… he was my papa’’. Alfie is moved enough to nod yes and walk away… Gael finally lets out the tears and leans onto the coffin… devastated… Dam watches him and continues to cry a river.
Ramona suggests to Paloma to go join her husband. But on his way back out he grabs Elisa’s hand and tells her ‘my papa died!’… Paloma is hurt by this… Elisa hugs him but whispers to him that Paloma is there, that he should go to her. Gael lets go of Elisa and goes to embrace Paloma who caresses him in support.
(Have to say I applaud the acting here… everyone… Mark, David, Blanca, Livia, even Angelique… were great)
The procession to the cementery begins…the new priest followed by the coffin carried by the obvious: Dam/Gael/Lucio/Enrique and huffing and puffing Lucio and Inmundo in the back, followed by the whole town in white with yellow flowers… A very emotional goodbye with Gael throwing the soil on the coffin… hmmm Gael and Paloma both are wearing their amulets…
Flo talks to Dam, sharing her support… Enrique approaches Paloma (who has Gael just a foot away from her), asks her how her marriage is going… Paloma says not the best moment to talk about that. Paloma walks away and Flo invites a reluctant Enrique to get a coffee… (I still say these are the two with the best chances of making a long lastin relationship).
Dam: You have to be strong, brother. We all hurt by losing uncle Loop but you must be the one carrying the worse hurt. IF Loopy fought for anything it was for us two to have a close relationship as brothers. (Gael has a cold insensitive face to what Dam is saying, for all he cares Dam could be giving him a sales pitch for a brand of spray starch) … We cannot let him down. I know how all this is affecting you, and believe it or not I too am very affected by this. I too will miss my uncle as you cannot imagine.
Gael: You think life was so unfair with me. But not so. I did not grow up at the hacienda surrounded by wealth and luxury… (Dam changes demeanor, realizes Gael is still very hurt and very cruel/rough with him). But if we think about it, life was more unfair with you Damian. I had my dad… I had a dad who tucked me in bed every night, who gave me advice. Who reprimanded me. Who worried about me. A papa who always had the table ready to eat with me. And I would not change any… ANY of that for having the Arango surname. So if you think about it, even with all those millions, the procesadora, the hacienda and all that jazz, the loser here was you, Damian. (Dam is serious in his glance, but somehow seems to acknowledge what Gael is saying is true). Gael walks away, very sad. Dam rejoins Alfie… Alfie wants him to leave her alone by the grave. She shared the funeral with the whole town, she wants to be alone with Loopy. Take your time. When you are ready to leave, I will be sleeping under the tree… working on a looong long beard.
Paloma and Elisa hug (I can’t believe Elisa is wearing black boots… can’t she toss the boots away even in this occasion?) They comfort each other… Elisa had never seen Gael so sad in her life. Paloma says now I am here to support him, and I am sure with our baby coming it will be some consolation for him. Elisa agrees. Elisa is sorry they had to cut short the honeymoon. How did he treat you? Very good! (LIAR!!!)
Gael comes to get Paloma. They have not slept and she needs to rest for the baby. Elisa likes his worrying about Paloma, but not enough to avoid being left alone with him. She embraces him and he won’t waste a moment to remind her that she is still in his head and his heart (I don’t know if he is the one with the bigger head issue or Gabino with the bullet in his head). (And I thought you had made some strides… Are you EVER going to grow up, Gall??)
Enrique and Flo comment how the whole town turned out to such a moving emotional goodbye. Enrique can only think that Gael is the one with the woman he loves. Sorry I hurt you with that. Flo says don’t worry. Want to be your friend and want you to torture me with those statements. But time changes people. Look at me. I thought I would enjoy Alfie’s sorrow, and that I would feel payback for losing my dad, but I felt sorry for her. Btw, where is your mom? She was not there. Enrique thinks his mom was just sick. Flo walks with him to check on his mom.
Ramona catches up with Alfie at the grave. ‘You won’t find the answers you are looking for just standing here’. Alfie tells her she was right, life is collecting on her mistakes… but her brother’s death is too high a price for her to pay. Ramona tells her ’I might have the answers you are looking for. When you can put your ego/pride aside and want to get the answers, you know where to find me. By the way … just for the record. I am so sorry for your loss. It is not only a great loss for you and your son, for the whole town of LaE.
Enrique and Flo do not find BeGoneYa, they find the phone pulled off the hook. Enrique notices the family portraits are gone… he runs upstairs. Flo finds a letter from BeGoneYa on the dining table. Enrique reads it.
‘My dear Enriquito. Sorry but I can’t take it anymore. Overnight I lost everything. Your dad, your sister fled, you, the light of my eyes… even my untouchable reputation.. suddenly I am the talk of the town. All my friends turned their backs on me and I can’t deal with that. I went to my sister’s in Guadalajara for a while.’
At la quinta… Carmina is making holes on the floor pacing around. Gabino gets a 34mm migraine from watching her and listening to her shouting. Carmina is getting paranoic that Horacio is alive and can tell all to the police. Gabino knows well if Horacio sings, they both can end up in jail… Gabino grunts in pain… Carmina tells him they have to find a solution..(continue working on the casualty list, what else??)
Lolita is crying a river at Lucio’s… Horacio comes around her and tells her ‘I did not do it, Lolita. I did not kill Padre Loopy’.
Previews: Apparently Lolita tries to grab the phone and Horacio has to yank it off the wall… Lolita tells Lucio Horacio swore he did not kill Lupe. Carmina suggests to Gabino to flee before its too late… Dam asks Elisa if she wants to get back with him, and in comes Gaeloma. The awesome foursome sit down at same café table. Elisa tells Gael she is back with Dam. Gael says he can’t believe it is true(of course with an annoyed face). (DANG!!!! The plot thickens!!! And at same time it stays the same forthe four ‘leads’. Every other character in the novela seems to be going through more interesting stuff than the ‘main’ foursome)

Labels:


Comments:
I am so happy to be able to read this before going to bed, Marta. Thank you!
"working on a loooong, long beard"
"34 mm migraine"
LOL!

I've only seen Rene C in 2 TNs, and we are 2 for 2 that he's appeared in the afterlife.

Looking forward to watching this episode in the morning.

Good night, Beautiful Grandmother of that Beautiful Little Guy.

Rosemary la Otra
 

Thanks for the recap Marta and your grandson is such a cutie!

You are right everyone else on the show has a more interesting story than our four unfortunate leads. Perhaps we could start to see the bad couple bicker in jail or some small form of justice?

It was great seeing Lupe alive and well even if it was Ramona's fantasy/dream.

 

Super Marta, thank you for the terrific recap. I was SO HAPPY to see Lupe visit Ramona. Ha ha Ramona, even with Lupe dead he is going to bug you until you spill the beans. Actually, I hope Lupe makes the rounds and visits a few more people before her he heads off to heaven.

Marta, ITA that the main foursome are boooooring. Oh man, I couldn't believe Elisa was wearing cowboy boots to the funeral. In nearly every episode I am amazed by her tackiness.

More tomorrow but I just had to read Marta's recap before I head off to bed.
 

Sylvia, ROFLOL on:
Ha ha Ramona, even with Lupe dead he is going to bug you until you spill the beans. Actually, I hope Lupe makes the rounds and visits a few more people before her he heads off to heaven.

how didn't i think of that?? if i wanted anyone to appear in my dreams, Rene C is handsome in all whites and sleek gray hair...
 

Super Miercoles Marta - You had a great episode to work with and I appreciate the recap. I had trouble understanding some of that dialogue. Thank you! And what a cutie-pie grandson in your avatar. :-)

My fav snarky recapper line: 'Carmina pulls her ‘get out of jail free’ card,' LOL

I thought this was one of the best episodes in .... months.

I loved how Lupe came to Ramona, in a dream, after he died. Yep, the guy had unfinished business to take care of before he crossed over.

I usually FFWD--> thru telenovela funerals, but something made me watch, and I am so glad I did.
I almost got teary during the Lupe funeral. It was not overdone, at all. Alfie did a great job with her grief. (great acting!) Fluffy & Co. must have had the day off. Nothing was over-acted, either.

Just when Gael was going to give Paloma a real honeymoon, , , he was SAVED BY THE BELL! Gah.

I have gone back to the FloRique table.

I see Lupe's death as the event that turns Gael around, and back to being a decent human being. How much do we want to bet he tries to make his marriage with Paloma work?

During the Dam and Gael conversation, all I could think about was how much Dam looks like a rodent when he scowls. The guy has no lips. Why TeleRisa thinks he is galán material is beyond me, but each to their own. Elisa can have him.

 

Cap'n Sylvia - LOL! I am now officially calling our protagonists The Boresome Foursome.
 

Ay yi yi...Marta, thanks again. Have to say this episode wasn't quite a mash-up as previous ones. Too bad we had to lose our Padre to get these crazy people to behave somewhat. If only for awhile anyway.

Gael is just becoming one bitter wretch. Maybe Pathetic will be right and he'll become more human when the baby arrives ( by the look of Pal that could be years...will that girl ever show?)

Dear Rene--he always looks like such a galan in his dream sequences, or in this case, as a dream. So it all falls to Ramona to finally tell the tale which frankly she should have done long ago and saved everyone all this grief. Ah well....


 

"Work on the casualty list, what else?" HAHAHA. Thanks, Marta!

ITA w/Doris -- either Fluffy & Co. were over at Amores V auditioning for their next extension, or I finally got my beanie to sit right, but this was the best episode I've seen in a loooong time. I'm so glad I stayed up.

Lupe dropping in on Ramona on his way to heaven was AWESOME. And what an amazing funeral -- the music for the procession was perfect, and the cinematography was beautiful. They really pulled out all the stops.

In fact, I have nothing snarky to say. That's gotta be a first.
 

Marta: Marvelous. This was your finest yet. Your words were as smooth as silk and equally luxurious. Your grandson? Precious.

"(I don’t know if he is the one with the bigger head issue or Gabino with the bullet in his head)" and "Ramona is ready to sing the opera" were only a few of my favorites.

doris, I did cry during Lupe's funeral. One of the best staged I've ever seen. The mourners in the cemetary, in white with the white umbrellas is another scene that stayed with me.

Finally, we think Carmina is handed the truth, yet the police upstage and devastate Elisa and Lolita with the news Horacio is alive, and oh yes, killed Lupe! The only saving grace was Carmina's fear (completely justified) that Horacio still walks among the living.

ITA daisy. Lupe's visit to Ramona was "heavenly" (sorry, couldn't help myself). Sylvia, it would be wonderful if he could pay more visits, but I fear this was his only one.

I thought Gael's interactions with Paloma were somewhat heartfelt last night. His "I love Elisa" is getting tired and stale to everyone so I suspect it may become tiresome to him soon as well.

I am hoping Lolita will continue to believe Horacio is not responsible for Lupe's murder. If she belives, others will follow.

This was a sad but nicely crafted episode and the acting was superb as you noted Marta. The directors deserve special recognition for the funeral and burial scenes.

Diana
 

The look on Lolita's face, when she learned Horacio is still alive, was classic.

The "oh !@#$, I thought I was rid of that loser, I've hooked up with Braulio-the-love-of-my-life, and what if I'm preggers?!?" look on her face said it all.

Gael may, indeed, learn to "love the one you're with." (ref: S. Stills)
 

Marta, thank you for the excellent job. This wasn't an easy one to write, was it? And thanks for treating us to the picture of your grandson. He is darling.

I agree with you that the acting was remarkable. In fact the episode itself, as others have said, was far superior to what we have been seeing. It lived up to the promise of the first couple of weeks of the novela when we thought be were in for something special, not something "special."

Dressing everyone in white was a brilliant visual statement. Was it also a theological or traditional statement? Does anyone know? It had an almost hallucinatory effect: at times it felt as if we were at a wedding, not a funeral.

It was smart of the writers to include references to the ongoing small dramas within the large drama of the moment:

Maru brightening when she sees Lucio; she prepares to walk down the aisle (!) with him; then her face falls when Lucio offers his arm to Carito.

Flor watching Enrique while Enrique is watching Paloma.

Gael orchestrating one more humiliating moment for Paloma when he falls into Elisa's arms and leaves Paloma standing momentarily alone.

Alfonsina loosing a bit of venom, despite her grief, when, upon seeing Elisa, she hisses to Dam: Quítala!

And then a moment later, the same Alfonsina yielding to Gael's need to be with Lupe's body at that moment.

Ramona removing her hat upon entering the church like the men do, not covering her head like the women.

It was also a smart choice to make the services nearly wordless. Guadalupe had already offered his prayer and it was still echoing in the viewer's head.

When Lupe appeared at Ramona's door, I allowed myself to hope that he wasn't really dead.

I suspect he will be visiting his murderer next...


 

NM,
'I suspect he will be visiting his murderer next...'

that would be a treat, wouldn't it?

 

Thanks, Marta, for a wonderful recap of a memorable episode. I generally simply endure TN weddings and funerals, but this was very special and you were able to vividly capture that specialness. Great job.

I was not surprised that Lupe reappeared (René Casados is too big a ham to get rid of just by killing him) but I thought for sure he would haunt Carmina. If he doesn't drop in on Carmina before going to Glory, I'll be sorely disappointed.

As great as the funeral was (the flashbacks with Lupe and Gael really got to me), I was charmed by Carmina's and Gabino's domestic bliss... probably a lot like badgers mating.

Carlos
 

Carlos,
(the flashbacks with Lupe and Gael really got to me)
me too... both the flashbacks for him as a kid and the one as adult.
 

Novela Maven, that's a great list of Subtly Dramatic Moments. I usually FF through funerals but this one was beautifully filmed and truly special. When Gael approached Lupe's casket I really did not know what Alfonsina would do. Great dramatic tension there.

Again, what a terrific scene between Lupe and Ramona. It was both tense and serene. Two pros giving it their best.

I do hope that Padre's ghost visits Carmina. He deserves one more gotcha and she deserves yet another chance to self-destruct. I wonder who she will take along for the ride?

Carlos, Car and Gab "like badgers mating", lol! They are both pretty dangerous, but are they as badass as the Honey Badger?

I am worried for Lolita. She thoroughly blames herself and now Horacio shows up. We all know what great decisions he always makes...NOT.
 

Marta:

You did a wonderful job on this recap--thank you. What an episode. I don't think I have ever seen a funeral so movingly filmed. I agree, NM, that the white costuming was beautiful and memorable. I got the impression that a whole town was really mourning.

So what happened to Begone? They sure packed her off quickly.

Elisa and those da^£ boots!

And Gabino was costumed perfectly as well. I don't usually go for beefcake but I make an exception for GABINO MENDOZA. Good grief that man is rough, greasy and HOT.

On a final note, Marta, your grandson is darling. What a twinkle he has in his eyes! I can only imagine how much fun you have with him!

EJ

EJ
 

"So what happened to Begone? They sure packed her off quickly."

EJ, that was one of the few Fluffy scenes in the piece. This is what I saw and heard:

[Flor hands Enrique the letter and he reads it anxiously].

Flor: Is it a suicide note? Is she dead?

Enrique: No, it's worse. She's gone to Guadalajara!

BTW, if she makes it to her sister's house, she and Sabrina will be the only two characters -- at least so far -- to get out of La Ermita alive. Perhaps it was because she was smart enough to keep her plans to herself since she WAS on Carmina's list.
 

Sylvia - re: Padre y Carmina "he deserves one more gotcha and she deserves yet another chance to self-destruct" and WE deserve at least one more lucid, well-acted, attention riveting scene. Giving us Lupe and Ramona was a "make-up call" for all we've put up with and we want MORE!
 

Karmageddon Poll

As with the one for LQNPA this will be posted daily until five episodes before the finale date. You need a Google account and a unique identity to vote so there will be no stuffing of the ballot boxes. You can change your vote any time up till the last day. There are multiple options per villain as a disfigured villain can also go mad or end up in prison.

This is a simplified poll and will have no further elements added.

Carmina, the TangelHo
Asylum
Disfigurement
Prison
Death (choose one of the following)
-- Accident
-- Suicide
-- Murder
-- Natural Causes

Gabino, the Sleazebag
Asylum
Disfigurement
Prison
Death (choose one of the following)
-- Accident
-- Suicide
-- Murder
-- Natural Causes

Horacio, the Unfortunate
Asylum
Disfigurement
Prison
Death (choose one of the following)
-- Accident
-- Suicide
-- Murder
-- Natural Causes

Alfonsina, the Botox Queen
Redemption
Asylum
Disfigurement
Prison
Death (choose one of the following)
-- Accident
-- Suicide
-- Murder
-- Natural Causes

Chente, Sleazebag Jr.
Disfigurement
Prison
Death (choose one of the following)
-- Accident
-- Suicide
-- Murder
-- Natural Causes

Florencia, the Trust Fund Brat
Marriage
Work
Moves Away

BeGoneYa, the Trash Talker
Reconciliation with the doc
Banishment
Death (choose one of the following)
-- Accident
-- Suicide
-- Murder
-- Natural Causes


Yes, I agree; Lupe should haunt Carmina... right to suicide!
 

Marta, I’m so glad you had this episode and you really did it justice. I completely agree with you, “I still say these (Enrique and Flo) are the two with the best chances of making a long lastin relationship.” Flo has become a beautiful, unselfish person, a rarity in La Ermita. Doris, I’ll join you at the FloRique table!!

In Coal Miner’s Daughter, Loretta Lynn’s father appeared to her walking across the field with his lunch pail before she learned that he had died. I always thought that was a beautiful scene. Even though the context was totally different, I was so happy to see Father Lupe make an appearance before Ramona, maybe she will do the right thing after all these months.

The funeral was beautiful and it reminded me of the very special celebrations of Day of the Dead in Mexico. The Mexican culture honors their dead in such a beautiful way. We could learn from them.

Marta, your nieto is adorable and yes, he does have that twinkle in his eye. He must be a delight!!

Cathyx, loved the way you took EJ’s monkey theme and ran with it yesterday, FANTASTIC recap.
 

". . . and WE deserve at least one more lucid, well-acted, attention riveting scene.. . .

I. so. totally. agree.!!!
 

NM - I am so glad I read your funeral observations before watching the show. I may have missed some of those. They were minute, but strong.

I am so happy that Horacio is back, but so sad that BeGone is gone. Is that it for her? I keep saying this, but she is such a brilliant actress. Even the letter reading voiceover was fantastic.

I wonder if Alfi will get in trouble for harboring a fugitive?
 

NM,
Perhaps it was because she was smart enough to keep her plans to herself since she WAS on Carmina's list.
LOL!!! good one!
 

". . . and WE deserve at least one more lucid, well-acted, attention riveting scene.. . .
...
I second the motion!... or third!, or fourth!.. you know my drift...

I also want more memory visits by Gael or a new Gael/AngelLoopy scene... i can't have enough of those two together, Loopy/Ramona... or Loopy/Carmina scenes... awesome!!

 

Marta...you had a very special episode and you did it justice.

I was mesmerized by the candlelight vigil and the moving processional. I wept along with Gael. And I wept again when they lowered Padre Guadalupe's casket into the ground because it brought back memories of my father's burial. That is absolutely the toughest moment of any funeral, in my estimation.

In spite of all the side story little hurts and slights that NovelaMaven mentioned, it was a beautiful and haunting episode. Poignant and memorable.

These telenovelas, as silly as they can be sometimes, also tap into our deepest griefs and fondest joys. Amazing.
 

And that music...
 

yes the music was great last night too... that image of Gael hugging the cross as Loopy was being lowered is still in my head...
 

I agree, that was a beautiful funeral. Every good person should have such a moving last tribute. Even Gael managed to not ruin it, although he tried for a moment. Even Elisa's boots were only a minor fly in the ointment.

Does everyone in town keep a white outfit and white umbrella on hand for just such an occasion?

I was pretty disappointed the police didn't arrest Carmina. We all know they've arrested people with less proof. Why are they insisting on procedure now?

Thanks, Marta! You have so many funny comments. I loved the one about Dam growing a beard waiting for Alfi.
 

Thanks for the recap! Tonight's episode was definitely moving with a little craziness added in. Can't wait for tonight's episode to see Gael fume over Damlisa's reconciliation.

I'm surprised Horacio went to see Lolita. I wonder what'll happen.

I had hoped Gael would be a good brother to Damian, but maybe he did have a point with what he told Damian. He certainly rubbed a little salt in Dam's wound by saying that Dam didn't have a father but he did.

I hope Begoña stays out of LaE because if she is meant to die it'll most likely to be murder at the hands of Carmina.
--TF
 

Maven:

You are killing me,
"Enrique: No, it's worse. She's gone to Guadalajara!"

That comment was hysterical. I sort of saw that scene (while fielding a call from my sister) but I thought I had missed something, either in the viewing or the translation.

I feel a bit like Peggy Lee. Begoña just heads off to her sister's in G.? No real repentance, no real closure? Is that all there is? Like RlaO I think Begoña is a great character, masterfully played. I will miss her gossipy, self-righteous, bourgeoise self prancing around L'Ermita upholding the social order.

Unlike the serial killer Carmina, Begoña injected a note of petty-minded realism into the show. I have known women like Begoña.

EJ
 

I was just thinking that Damián and Horacio did in fact make it out of La Ermita alive...but they both came back, so I guess they didn't really make it out. Hmm.
 

So did Gael. Left and returned. Flor went back to the DF for a while but she returned too. She isn't even from La Ermita and is now CHOOSING to live there.
 

Thanks for the great recap. Have not watched this TN in a long time, and I purposely missed this episode on the web. I figured everyone would be crying. So many priests get killed in TN's lately, I'm surprised.

Blue Lass loved your last comment.
So it's true that Damien and Gael are brothers, because they both lack oomph as lead characters.

I see the new 9 p.m. TN begins November 7th (Amores Verdaderos)? I wish they had skipped that one, and went straight to Fernando Colunga's new one, Porque El Amor Manda, which is superb. Fernando and Blanca are a pleasure to watch. I think after all the crying of Abismo, Uni should have given us Fernando's new one.
 

Maybe Fernando's new one will replace Refugio?
 

I'm not a big Colunga fan, but Porque el Amor Manda has a terrific cast -- at least four of my very favorite actors -- so I hope we get it!
 

Fernando Colunga AND Erick Elias AND Jorge Aravena AND Ricardo Margaleff AND Daniel Arenas are in it?! I'm so there! Uni better broadcast it.
 

AND Ricardo Fastlicht AND Alejandro Avila! Wheee!
 

Was there some food on the coffin next to Fr. Lupe's picture or did I imagine this? Is this a custom for priests in Mexico? (Certainly Augusto's funeral had no such items.) In the far East, white is a color of mourning in some countries. I could not place the music in the church although it sounded like a text from the Dies Irae ('lacrimosa...) set to a Mozart like orchestration.
 

I'd forgotten about all the sweets on the coffin! I don't know if that is a tradition, or just a personal touch since Padre Loopy loved sweet treats.
 

Marta- Sorry to get to this so late. I agree totally with everyone's comments. The recap was wonderful, and the funeral was beautifully done and filmed, as was the final visitation from Lupe.

I guess I'm the only one who thought Gael's comments to Dam were mean, tasteless and spiteful. Totally NOT what Lupe would have wanted. In that moment when he realized what a blessing he had had growing up with a loving father, while Dam lost the only father he had known, and then was shipped away even from his mother, uncle and friends, he should have had an aha! moment. His resentments towards Dam should have gone away, knowing that he's actually the one who was richer fo having that experience that Dam lost. Instead he just took that insight and used it to wound Damian.
 

Gael is a jerk. It was almost painful watching the flashbacks of that sweet kid he once was, and then snapping back to the ogre he's become. Gael needs to take some responsibility for his own shortcomings. He had a great dad and all the necessities in life. If only he had taken more of Loopy's advice.
 

Finally had a chance to watch this episode. Wonderful recap Marta for a very emotional show. I'm glad it wasn't on a Monday.
 

I have to agree with Vivi and Julia... someone said 'you might have the truth but you might not be 'right'... or ... 'there is a time and place for reflections such as these, but not here not now...'.
Gael might have been handed the biggest blessing in Lupe as a dad, but you can't really blame Damian for not having his father around (it was Rosie's decision to abandon them) or to have been shipped away (Alfie's decision)... so Gael has nothing to really complain about as far as blaming Damian... and it does not do anyone any favors (Certainly won't bring Lupe back from the dead) to rub it in like he did with Damian there. Damian came to offer support as a brother, Gael had no business rejecting him like that, demeaning him as if it were 'too little too late'. neither of them knew they were brothers so Gael can't blame Damian for having lived so humbly while Damian had the 'comforts'. So it was a mute point and as Vivi said, mean and spiteful for something that was not Dam's fault... yes, Gael was hurt and deeply upset, but that does not excuse this behavior.
 

Vivi, as Julia and Marta have already pointed out, you certainly weren't alone in your reaction to Gael's cruel remarks to Damián.

It IS a step forward to realize what a privilege it was to be raised by Padre Lupe. But it is a step backwards to use that realization as a cudgel against his brother.

Ah well. He has a few episodes left to work it all out. Just like it happens in real life, huh?

:)

 

The music during the funeral procession was the "Lacrimosa" from Mozart's Requiem.

Another Anon
 

I should have stated that more correctly. It is Part 6 in the "Sequentia" from Mozart's Requiem. Part 1 of the "Sequentia" is the "Dies Irae, Dies Ila...and so on and so forth.

Sorry...was in a rush, though I doubt that anyone is reading at this late point in the day.

Another Anon
 

Another Anon - I am up and I read your comment, but I have no idea what the hell you are talking about! LOL all I know is that music was perfect for the funeral scene. Thanks for identifying it for us.
 

Another Anon, thank you for the music info. Believe me we music geeks love that stuff. And I am up because I'm just about to watch tonight's episode and recap it!
 

Yes, thanks, Another Anon! A beautiful piece. (I always find it funny, too, that "Dies Irae" means "wrath of God," but that music is always so restful.)
 

Let me add my thanks as well. I'm not good at pinpointing music, so that was very helpful Another Anon. Gracias for joining in. Please do so again.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder